Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,311 members, 7,811,921 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:44 PM

Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l (39265 Views)

12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School / Nairaland Math Quiz Competition Loading...(suggestions Needed) / 10 Year Old Nigerian Math Genius, Esther Okade Plans To Build A Bank By Age 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (63) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by denniece1(m): 12:17pm On Nov 12, 2013
D) 27
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Idenyijoshua(m): 12:24pm On Nov 12, 2013
D. 27
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by echibuzor: 12:34pm On Nov 12, 2013
Alpha Maximus: More participants please....@Richiez, is a double-attempt at the question allowed#are there any take-back-sees?
Haba... Alpha now, Double attempt should not be allowed jare, and what are you doing on the thread ?? cheesy cheesy cheesy I also feel a bit of the workings should be shown, but I dont make the rules here... angry angry
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by dcitizen1: 12:41pm On Nov 12, 2013
Cool question and cool answer.
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 12:51pm On Nov 12, 2013
Aliciakeys: 10:01am!!!
Where is d question nii??
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by AlphaMaximus(m): 12:54pm On Nov 12, 2013
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 12:57pm On Nov 12, 2013
Richiez: And Finally! Let's get the NAIRALAND MATH QUIZ ROUND 1 on the way
To qualify as a participant, provide the correct answer to the question below;

Two equal circles are cut out of a rectangular paper of dimensions 16m by 8m. The circles have the maximum diameter possible. what is the approximate area of the paper remaining after the circles have been cut out?

(a) 104
(b) 78
(c) 54
(d) 27
(e) 13
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by papindinho(m): 1:04pm On Nov 12, 2013
late but I got 27 #just to learn. #not participating in the quiz officially
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by echibuzor: 1:08pm On Nov 12, 2013
how did like 4 to 5 people manage to arrive at 78? please enlighten me....
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by AlphaMaximus(m): 1:10pm On Nov 12, 2013
@Richiez, it is well after 1.00pm already. Time to select the victors.
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 1:16pm On Nov 12, 2013
The Correct answer is (d) 27
The names of qualified participants will be published by one of our quiz masters [url=https://www.nairaland.com/alpha%20maximus]ALPHAMAXIMUS[/url]
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Ortarico(m): 1:17pm On Nov 12, 2013
The time is up, I think.
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by echibuzor: 1:19pm On Nov 12, 2013
Ortarico: I'm sorry to say this, I feel like changing my position to be a participant too, can I?
It would not be fair if you are allowed to participate, its like enrolling a University graduate for an O level exam... tongue
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by AlphaMaximus(m): 1:23pm On Nov 12, 2013
Alright here are the names of the qualified participants:
JARYEH, DENNIECE1, IDENYIJOSHUA and PAPINDINHO.
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Ortarico(m): 1:24pm On Nov 12, 2013
echibuzor:
It would not be fair if you are allowed to participate, its like enrolling a University graduate for an O level exam... tongue

Haba, I was only joking ooo my oga, that question was so cheap but only 5 answered it correctly.
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by AlphaMaximus(m): 1:29pm On Nov 12, 2013
Solution to the question is as follows:
The approximate area left after the removal of the two circles with maximum diameters is obtained through the subtraction of their areas from the area of the rectangle which is 16*8=128m sq
The maximum diameter possible can NEVER be greater than the width of the circle and can't be more than half the length since the circles are equal and its 8m.Thus their radii are 4m...their combined area is 2* 22/7 *4*4=approximately 101 metresq...thus the area left is 128-101=27 metresq

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nastydroid(m): 1:29pm On Nov 12, 2013
Richiez: The Correct answer is (d) 27
The names of qualified participants will be published by one of our quiz masters [url=https://www.nairaland.com/alpha%20maximus]ALPHAMAXIMUS[/url]
do correction for us naw Cos d tin shock me
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Ortarico(m): 1:30pm On Nov 12, 2013
Alpha Maximus: Alright here are the names of the qualified participants:

only and only four, will it do for the quiz?
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by AlphaMaximus(m): 1:31pm On Nov 12, 2013
The correction has been posted
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 1:35pm On Nov 12, 2013
Alpha Maximus: Alright here are the names of the qualified participants:

Alpha Maximus: The correction has been posted
Alpha Maximus: Solution to the question is as follows:
The approximate area left after the removal of the two circles with maximum diameters is obtained through the subtraction of their areas from the area of the rectangle which is 16*8=128m sq
The maximum diameter possible can NEVER be greater than the width of the circle and can't be more than half the length since the circles are equal and its 8m.Thus their radii are 4m...their combined area is 2* 22/7 *4*4=approximately 101 metresq...thus the area left is 128-101=27 metresq
Good!
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by factorial1(m): 1:37pm On Nov 12, 2013
Ooopz...I would love to be among the participants....bt it's a pity, coz by time I saw this thread...it's already 1:00pm...I could av provided my own ans. too, work tinx here....I hope another qt will be posted sha? Kudos to the Panel of judges...n' the co-ordinators.

#Cheers
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 1:39pm On Nov 12, 2013
What?..hahaha, na dis kind questions they fall guys hand ,i don do too much advance questions na dis simple question kom fall ma hand...chai, shame on me,...thanks 4d correction.....i dey watch una ....keep rollin..
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 1:48pm On Nov 12, 2013
There is Going to be a make-up test question. I have received requests from many people who still wants to participate.
Here goes the make-up test question (application of mathematics)

The relationship between temperature in degrees celcius (oC) and degrees Fahreinheit (oF) is;

oC = 5/9 (oF - 32)

at what temperature will oC be equal to oF ?

Just post the correct answer, no workings!
Deadline is 4pm.
When this time elapses, another quiz master Doubledx will post the correct answer and the names of those who got the correct answer.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by echibuzor: 1:50pm On Nov 12, 2013
^^^ Trust Doubledx to come up with something like this..... cool cool

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 1:52pm On Nov 12, 2013
This is round one, I think we need more participants; maybe we should give one more question to allow those we are willing to participate but were not able to submit their answers before 1pm a chance to participate. My opinion!! Nice one @ Alpha! Richiez, I have sent my questions for supervision. 1luv y'all!
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Idenyijoshua(m): 1:53pm On Nov 12, 2013
Richiez: There is Going to be a make-up test question. I have received requests from many people who still wants to participate.
Here goes the make-up test question (application of mathematics)

The relationship between temperature in degrees celcius (oC) and degrees Fahreinheit (oF) is;

oC = 5/9 (oF - 32)

at what temperature will oC be equal to oF ?

Just post the correct answer, no workings!
Deadline is 4pm.
When this time elapses, another quiz master Doubledx will post the correct answer and the names of those who got the correct answer.
am i permites to answer again?
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 1:57pm On Nov 12, 2013
Warning!!!
you are not allowed to participate twice. The make-up test is for only those who did not answer the first question.
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 1:59pm On Nov 12, 2013
doubleDx: This is round one, I think we need more participants; maybe we should give one more question to allow those we are willing to participate but were not able to submit their answers before 1pm a chance to participate. My opinion!! Nice one @ Alpha! Richiez, I have sent my questions for supervision. 1luv y'all!
Noted! Quiz master
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by factorial1(m): 2:01pm On Nov 12, 2013
The ans. to the question asked is -40, I will love to explain how I arrived @that...when the time elapse. #teamPhy

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by jaryeh(m): 2:09pm On Nov 12, 2013
Waiting for the next round...
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by LogoDWhiz(m): 2:13pm On Nov 12, 2013
At -40.72°c...
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by papindinho(m): 2:14pm On Nov 12, 2013
jaryeh: Waiting for the next round...
Nice to see you here bro.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (63) (Reply)

When JAMB Adds 40 Marks To Your Initial Score(hilarious Photo) / Winifred Hyacinth: UNIZIK Medical Graduate Gets 12 Awards At Induction / The Onitsha Students Representing Nigeria At World Pitch Academic Competition US

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.