Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,908 members, 7,814,070 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:30 AM

Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l - Education (53) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l (39292 Views)

12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School / Nairaland Math Quiz Competition Loading...(suggestions Needed) / 10 Year Old Nigerian Math Genius, Esther Okade Plans To Build A Bank By Age 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) ... (63) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 5:31pm On Nov 19, 2013
Nairalanders Who have tokens for the winner of the quiz Competition should send me a pm or mail msg to richobiagba@gmail.com
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 5:34pm On Nov 19, 2013
Fynestboi: Aysuccess and smurfy narrow escape congrat....

Abi o! The smart thing to do now is find a way around Maximus' questions. I don't know why I miss his questions. I suspect someone in the HOUSE is using jazz on me cheesy
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by AmazingAngel(f): 5:35pm On Nov 19, 2013
Congrats to u d ones dat was qualified,don't worry,will be here to cheer u up during d finals,GUDLUCK
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 5:37pm On Nov 19, 2013
Richiez: Finalists
who will not be present on friday should notify any of the quiz masters
on or before wed 20th, 2013 4:00 pm so that other eligible participants can
substitute them
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Fynestboi: 5:38pm On Nov 19, 2013
aysuccess99:
thank u very much sir....we appreciate ur concern and support.GOD BLESS YOU.
smiley
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by jaryeh(m): 5:44pm On Nov 19, 2013
Richiez: Ladies
and Gentlemen, Math Lovers! This is the final set of participants we
have been waiting for....they are the champions and they all have earned
the title 'Math Generals'

FINALISTS

:::DENNIECE1::: 29pts

:::JARYEH::: 28pts

:::DR.GBOY::: 27pts

:::AYSUCCESS99::: 25pts

:::SMURFY::: 25pts

Get ready for the final battle on friday, it will be entirely
different from the previous ones...

points will be reset to zero

date is friday....time will be communicated to you all...

Goodluck!

As in
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by denniece1(m): 6:12pm On Nov 19, 2013
Alright...gudluck to the finalists...till next time now...gudnite
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Mbahchiboy(m): 6:25pm On Nov 19, 2013
Dr.Gboy:
Is one-half the same thing as half
IS ONE HALF SAME AS HALF?
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Mbahchiboy(m): 6:32pm On Nov 19, 2013
i greet all d generals in d house.....
i must say dis is really competitive..
@ RICHIEZ WEN WILL D NEXT SEASON OF D QUIZ BEGIN??
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by bitex2(m): 6:58pm On Nov 19, 2013
akpos4uall:
Yeah me too but this is how I arrived at the solution:
n^2 - n - 99750156 = 0
n(n-1) = 99750156
The above equation is simply a product of two numbers with difference of one. Hence if you take the square root of both sides then round up and down, you'll will get the two numbers if the solution are whole numbers.
E.g 8 * 7 = 56
Sqrt of 56 is approximately equal to 7.48
Round this up and down to get 7 and 8 which is the answer
The same way sqrt of 99750156 = 9987.5
Round up and down to get 9987 & 9988
In this case, n is the bigger of the two, hence n = 9988
u tried but the assumption u made by choosing 9988 because it's bigger is BASICALLY WRONG.Itz because of its negative sign
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Debonny90: 10:10pm On Nov 19, 2013
Kendzyma is winning dis quiz,no doubt cos i trained him
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Idenyijoshua(m): 9:30am On Nov 20, 2013
Greetings to the FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NAIRALAND MATHS QUIZ. Congrats to all those who made it to the next round (was unable to participate yesterday due to some things above my control). Best of luck
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by factorial1(m): 9:44am On Nov 20, 2013
*sigh*
Morning y'all, I congratulates the FINALISTS, though...It was'nt expected of me to miss out the last round of this great competition...buh, der's nothing I could do to ascertain that. I thank God! As per yesterday, I thank you all for ur concern(either +ve or -ve). Though, I tried my possible best to participate fully but all were to no avail. Albeit, I've really learnt alot since the commencement of this quiz so to say, and has indeed gladdens my heart seeing we(Nigerian students) performing utmostly and outstandingly GREAT. I pray God help us in Jesus name(Amen). Kudos y'all. #Cheers.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA.
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by DrGboy(m): 10:51am On Nov 20, 2013
factorial1: *sigh*
Morning y'all, I congratulates the FINALISTS, though...It was'nt expected of me to miss out the last round of this great competition...buh, der's nothing I could do to ascertain that. I thank God! As per yesterday, I thank you all for ur concern(either +ve or -ve). Though, I tried my possible best to participate fully but all were to no avail. Albeit, I've really learnt alot since the commencement of this quiz so to say, and has indeed gladdens my heart seeing we(Nigerian students) performing utmostly and outstandingly GREAT. I pray God help us in Jesus name(Amen). Kudos y'all. #Cheers.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA.

Hey bro, don't lose hope yet. I won't be chanced to participate in the finals coz I got some issues to attend to. Richiez said the next eligible contestant will be substituted. You should definitely be the one. Best of luck wink
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 10:52am On Nov 20, 2013
Richiez: Final Round 4 Question
set by Quiz Master Doubledx

One-half of General Jackpot's age two years from now plus one-third of her age three years ago is twenty years. How old is she now?

One-half means 1.5, not 0.5. Dr Gboy was right. The question is faulty. Most of the participants didn't notice it because we we're all suffering from hot-seat syndrome then.

Solving the question above AS IT IS gives x = -10/11 !

I never knew General Jackpot is guru-ish enough to ascribe a negative age to herself. If she's truly -10/11 years old, then it only means one thing: SHE'S STILL IN HER MOTHER'S WOMB!!! cheesy
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by echibuzor: 11:16am On Nov 20, 2013
smurfy:

One-half means 1.5, not 0.5. Dr Gboy was right. The question is faulty. Most of the participants didn't notice it because we we're all suffering from hot-seat syndrome then.
One-Half is 0.5, Its different from saying One and a Half which is 1.5;
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by indoorlove(m): 1:11pm On Nov 20, 2013
Great jobs to you all!
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 1:55pm On Nov 20, 2013
Dr.Gboy:

Hey bro, don't lose hope yet. I won't be chanced to participate in the finals coz I got some issues to attend to. Richiez said the next eligible contestant will be substituted. You should definitely be the one. Best of luck wink

factorial1: *sigh*

GOD BLESS NIGERIA.

Factorial1 The offer is now open to you....are you ready to replace Dr.Gboy so I can enlist your name as one of the finalists?
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 1:58pm On Nov 20, 2013
Richiez: jaryeh is participant number 1 while smurfy is participant number 10 just exactly as i numbered the eligible participants

where a participant fails to choose a question within 2mins. the quiz masters may deprive the participant of such privilege and help him or her make a choice

question one chosen by jaryeh coming up shortly....

(note that quiz masters doubledx and alphamaximus will be joining us by 12.15pm)

all answers should be sent to richobiagba@gmail.com for now

Sorry, I wasn't able to meet up for round 4. Great work you guys have been doing, kudos to those who made it to the finals! See you guys on Friday, God's grace! 1luv
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 2:07pm On Nov 20, 2013
doubleDx:

Sorry, I wasn't able to meet up for round 4. Great work you guys have been doing, kudos to those who made it to the finals! See you guys on Friday, God's grace! 1luv

I'm Glad you'll be joining us...we also need additional hands on that day...Math Generals that can set very technical questions...please send recommended names to my email.
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 2:12pm On Nov 20, 2013
aysuccess99: o ya.....where are the prayerwarriors, let's come and pray o.......FATHER IN JESUS NAME...Our Most High God We Thank You For What you have been doing in this competition,accept all our thanks and praises IJN... As we want to start today, start with us.Every form of network problem be solved by fire...Lord give the participants wisdom,knowledge and understanding IJN...Let there be peace in the house today.Help our coordinators and give them more strength...IN JESUS NAME I HAVE PRAY....AMEN!AMEN!! AMEN!!! SHOUT 7 HALLELUYAHS.

Some of us know all the demons on the thread grin God be praised! Kudos any ways....
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 2:28pm On Nov 20, 2013
echibuzor:
One-Half is 0.5, Its different from saying One and a Half which is 1.5;

Thanks, echibuzor. Now I know. Engrrish! cheesy
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Richiez(m): 2:30pm On Nov 20, 2013
All questions in the final round will be "obj type" 50 questions in all and each finalist will be allowed to choose between numbers 1-50 ....there will be 5 cycles of choice-making for the finalists.
for example, the 5 finalists will make their choices each for the first cycle, and then another cycle of choice-making starts until it is repeated 5 times.
this means that the total number of questions that will be asked out of the 50 available questions is 5questions per cycle x 5 cycles =25questions

Now, finalists should note that they have just 5mins per question.

although each choice of question is meant for the finalist that chose them, all finalists are advised to work out the answer along with the finalist that made the choice. This is because if after 5mins, the quiz masters get no reply from the finalist that chose a question, the floor will then be open for 1min to all other finalists to provide the answer so that they can earn bonus points. any other finalist that posts his/her answer after the stipulated time won't be offered the bonus point.

All answers will be posted here on this thread....answers sent to email won't be acknowledged.

Note that only the finalist that chose a particular number is expected to post the answer to the question chosen. other finalists that posts answers before they are told to do so will be penalized. (minus 1pt)

The Score card will be published at the end of the round and not after each question.
also the full solution to any question won't be published...just the correct obj answer, i.e either A, B, C, D, or E will be published. This is to save time.

More Updates coming your way soon.............
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by AmazingAngel(f): 2:53pm On Nov 20, 2013
Richiez: All questions in the final round will be "obj type" 50 questions in all and each finalist will be allowed to choose between numbers 1-50 ....there will be 5 cycles of choice-making for the finalists.
for example, the 5 finalists will make their choices each for the first cycle, and then another cycle of choice-making starts until it is repeated 5 times.
this means that the total number of questions that will be asked out of the 50 available questions is 5questions per cycle x 5 cycles =25questions

Now, finalists should note that they have just 5mins per question.

although each choice of question is meant for the finalist that chose them, all finalists are advised to work out the answer along with the finalist that made the choice. This is because if after 5mins, the quiz masters get no reply from the finalist that chose a question, the floor will then be open for 1min to all other finalists to provide the answer so that they can earn bonus points. any other finalist that posts his/her answer after the stipulated time won't be offered the bonus point.

All answers will be posted here on this thread....answers sent to email won't be acknowledged.

Note that only the finalist that chose a particular number is expected to post the answer to the question chosen. other finalists that posts answers before they are told to do so will be penalized. (minus 1pt)

The Score card will be published at the end of the round and not after each question.
also the full solution to any question won't be published...just the correct obj answer, i.e either A, B, C, D, or E will be published. This is to save time.

More Updates coming your way soon.............
nyc one nd weldone
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 3:10pm On Nov 20, 2013
@factorial1

Congrats for being able to make it to the grand finale.

Please don't let your phone or any other thing hinder you from participating fully this time.

Again, I say, congrats.
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Nobody: 5:03pm On Nov 20, 2013
smurfy: @factorial1

Please don't let your phone or any other thing hinder you from participating fully this time.

Again, I say, congrats.
Yes,it's true o...congrats to the great mathematigician who made it to the final..it's great having people like FACTORIAL in the competition. LUCK PLAYED A GOOD PART ON HIM. I'm really happy that he was given the opportunity to compete in the finals(thanks to DR. GBOY---->THE GREAT PHILANTROPIST,SUPER OPERATOR,MATHS GURU)...
BEST OF LUCK TO ALL FINALISTS. I Doff My Cap For U Guys O...U All Did A Great Job...
Factorial1 Congrats To You........IWE FACTORIAL.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by akpos4uall(m): 5:15pm On Nov 20, 2013
bitex2:
u tried but the assumption u made by choosing 9988 because it's bigger is BASICALLY WRONG.Itz because of its negative sign
Well, I don't know what you mean by "its because of its negative sign" but let me explain
The equation is n(n - 1) = 99750156
Using the approximation as explained earlier
Sqrt of 99750156 = 9987.5
These two numbers are n and (n-1)
n is greater than n-1
n is the unknown in the equation
Hence my reason for choosing n = 9988 as the solution i.e 9988 (9988 - 1) = 99750156

This is just one of the solutions to the equation. To get the other, use the same procedure but this time,
Sqrt of 99750156 = - 9987.5
Round up and down to get - 9987 & - 9988
The same way, n is the bigger of the two.
Hence n = - 9987
(-9987)*(-9987 - 1) = 99750156

This means the solution to the equation
n^2 - n - 99750156 = 0 is
n = - 9987 or 9988
This also means if we wanted to factorize, we'll get
( n + 9987 ) ( n - 9988 ) = 0

We can even generalize that an equation that is factorizable in the format;
n^2 - n - z = 0
will be ( n + a ) ( n - b ) = 0
Where a is the rounded down value of the sqrt of z while b is the rounded up value of the sqrt of z
Similarly
n^2 + n - z = 0
will be (n - a ) ( n + b ) = 0

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by factorial1(m): 5:25pm On Nov 20, 2013
#yimu.... thanks brov.
aysuccess99:
Yes,it's true o...congrats to the great mathematigician who made it to the final..it's great having people like FACTORIAL in the competition. LUCK PLAYED A GOOD PART ON HIM. I'm really happy that he was given the opportunity to compete in the finals(thanks to DR. GBOY---->THE GREAT PHILANTROPIST,SUPER OPERATOR,MATHS GURU)...
BEST OF LUCK TO ALL FINALISTS. I Doff My Cap For U Guys O...U All Did A Great Job...
Factorial1 Congrats To You........IWE FACTORIAL.
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by factorial1(m): 5:27pm On Nov 20, 2013
eshe oga mi sir. I'll try my possible best bro.
Dr.Gboy:

Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by factorial1(m): 5:28pm On Nov 20, 2013
thanks brov. bravo!
smurfy: @factorial1

Again, I say, congrats.
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Laplacian(m): 8:11pm On Nov 20, 2013
akpos4uall:
Well, I don't know what you mean by "its because of its negative sign" but let me explain
The equation is n(n - 1) = 99750156
Using the approximation as explained earlier
Sqrt of 99750156 = 9987.5
These two numbers are n and (n-1)
n is greater than n-1
n is the unknown in the equation
Hence my reason for choosing n = 9988 as the solution i.e 9988 (9988 - 1) = 99750156

This is just one of the solutions to the equation. To get the other, use the same procedure but this time,
Sqrt of 99750156 = - 9987.5
Round up and down to get - 9987 & - 9988
The same way, n is the bigger of the two.
Hence n = - 9987
(-9987)*(-9987 - 1) = 99750156

This means the solution to the equation
n^2 - n - 99750156 = 0 is
n = - 9987 or 9988
This also means if we wanted to factorize, we'll get
( n + 9987 ) ( n - 9988 ) = 0

We can even generalize that an equation that is factorizable in the format;
n^2 - n - z = 0
will be ( n + a ) ( n - b ) = 0
Where a is the rounded down value of the sqrt of z while b is the rounded up value of the sqrt of z
Similarly
n^2 + n - z = 0
will be (n - a ) ( n + b ) = 0
bros i must confess, ur result on d generalisation u made @ d bottom of ur write up above is d MOST BEAUTIFUL result i 've seen on dis thread...and d result is true....i'll be very grateful if u can supply a proof...
Re: Nairaland Math Quiz Winner l::::::JARYEH::::::l by Mbahchiboy(m): 8:21pm On Nov 20, 2013
@RICHIEZ
HOPE U SAW MY MESSAGE?

(1) (2) (3) ... (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) ... (63) (Reply)

2019 Xfire Nairaland Undergraduate Scholarship Test :::Verification of Winners:: / When JAMB Adds 40 Marks To Your Initial Score(hilarious Photo) / Winifred Hyacinth: UNIZIK Medical Graduate Gets 12 Awards At Induction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.