Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:33 AM

Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) (30510 Views)

ASUU Postpones Meeting Over Iyayi's Death / Message From ASUU President / Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by Dreament(m): 10:56pm On Nov 12, 2013
igbsam: His blood is on the head of Jonathan and his government and especially that kogi state governor.....He's always in the news for reckless driving of his convoy killing quite a number of people in his state. R.I.P Sir!
guy u b fool o...... Na GEJ say make ASUU make ASUU no call off strike. The ball don dey their cort since july and dem dey form yangan. If dem like make them no call off na so dem go die one afta the other. Some students don luse their life because of this strike. Nobody care about that

1 Like

Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by Sijo01(f): 10:58pm On Nov 12, 2013
I wonder why this news is just making it to the front page now. This incident happened hours ago. I raced down to Nairaland for confirmation when I heard it, but I doubted because it was not here. I only believed after it was shown on NTA network news.

RIP, Prof.

2 Likes

Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by patwilly(m): 11:01pm On Nov 12, 2013
read his book "violence" way back in Sec. school. i must say i was quite intrigued by his narrative. a good writer he was; belonging to a fast dying breed of prolific second generation Nigerian authors. he will be missed!

1 Like

Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by Ulofine: 11:02pm On Nov 12, 2013
[quote author=we ar talking of death here and u ar saying who is going to earn his allowances, RIP sir
Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by Dahslim(m): 11:05pm On Nov 12, 2013
The day we die is our restin' day. No more ASUU with you sir, No more FED. GOVT with u sir..... Only your deeds on earth will follow u 2 ur grave. Eyah!! Life is rilly funny n wicked at times. May ur Gentle Soul Rest In Peace......*sobbin'
Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by teskyg: 11:06pm On Nov 12, 2013
RIP Pro,but at year age,you for stop Aluta and allow the younger members to agitate on your behalf.Hope you are not amoung those saying strike must Continue.RIP
Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by Nobody: 11:09pm On Nov 12, 2013
The truth is that protocol requires a gov.'s convoy to always maintain a certain speed. Some Nigerians who always claim to know their rights will hear the sound of siren and refuse to stay off the road and this is what it leads to.. RIP
Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by AskProf: 11:09pm On Nov 12, 2013
pembisco: May be TB joshua was ryt wen he said it is God's wil dt nigerian universities be opened nd dt any1 who stands in d way of God's will hav hmslf be blamed, nd maybe dis prof who is vry influencial voted against calling off dis strike. Who knws. Rip prof.

If you imply that Prof Festus Iyayi was the person referred to, then you spoke balderdash.

1 Like

Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by SELFWORTH: 11:11pm On Nov 12, 2013
mercieblinks: THE CASUALTIES OF ASUU STRIKE!!!
The ongoing industrial action by University Lecturers has claimed one of its biggest casualty. (The casualties are not only those who have been kept at home, the casualties are not only those whose wards have been rendered 'useless' for more than 16 weeks ... The fighters are also casualties...) The sudden death of the former President of ASUU Dr. Festus Iyayi via an auto crash enroute Kano for ASUU's NEC meeting is indeed the 'Biggest casualty". There was no need running around the country. Roads are in dilapidated condition and ASUU members know this. One has to be careful traveling around for 'trivial' issues. This strike is easy to be called off or sustained. Since the various chapters have voted, the votes should have just been communicated to the National leaders and they can make their input whether or not to suspend the ongoing strike. This is jet age and there are different ways to pass information. Moving from Ondo to Ibadan, Abuja to Markudi, Ososo to Sokoto, Benin to Kano e.t.c in the name of agitating for better education is quite risky and uncalled for. This should be a lesson to the lecturers' Union and ASUU leaders should amend these unnecessary processes before industrial actions are embarked on or suspended. We must learn to make things easy for ourselves in life.
May Dr. Iyayi's soul rest in peace. He died in the struggle and in active service!
Aluta continua!!!

I concur.

This is spiritual. It's not ordinary.

Who knows how many saints of God are pleading with God this minute to end the strike and remove all the obstacles of progress?

Only the Lord knows what drives these people. God said seek peace and pursue peace. Some so called people are wasting the lives of innocent youths whilst they feed thier greedy ambition. Who knows tomorrow? All these material things can never bring fulfilment. This is what our leaders are yet to understand. You harbour wealth all your life and then God calls you home when you are about to sit and rest.

Most nigerian leaders and people are obstacles of peace and progress. If they had settled this false claims and cancelled the strike, this man will still be alive today. The solution they are looking for up and down the country is staring back at them in their mirror.

There is no indispensable man.

1 Like

Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by prof800(m): 11:17pm On Nov 12, 2013
He was a fearless comrade in the war front, a senior colleague in d higher cader of comradeship.
When I remember and remember Festus Iyayi, water troway my eye. RIP.
Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by CooldudeY2J: 11:18pm On Nov 12, 2013
If only d ASUU president has called off d strike immediately after d meeting wit GEJ his death would have been averted but who are we to question God, may his soul RIP.
Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by viviane: 11:19pm On Nov 12, 2013
THE CASUALTIES OF ASUU STRIKE!!!
The ongoing industrial action by University Lecturers has claimed one of its biggest casualty. (The casualties are not only those who have been kept at home, the casualties are not only those whose wards have been rendered 'useless' for more than 16 weeks ... The fighters are also casualties...) The sudden death of the former President of ASUU Dr. Festus Iyayi via an auto crash enroute Kano for ASUU's NEC meeting is indeed the 'Biggest casualty". There was no need running around the country. Roads are in dilapidated condition and ASUU members know this. One has to be careful traveling around for 'trivial' issues. This strike is easy to be called off or sustained. Since the various chapters have voted, the votes should have just been communicated to the National leaders and they can make their input whether or not to suspend the ongoing strike. This is jet age and there are different ways to pass information. Moving from Ondo to Ibadan, Abuja to Markudi, Ososo to Sokoto, Benin to Kano e.t.c in the name of agitating for better education is quite risky and uncalled for. This should be a lesson to the lecturers' Union and ASUU leaders should amend these unnecessary processes before industrial actions are embarked on or suspended. We must learn to make things easy for ourselves in life.
May Dr. Iyayi's soul rest in peace. He died in the struggle and in active service!
Aluta continua!!!
Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by dayoade2007(m): 11:23pm On Nov 12, 2013
RIP Prof. Iyayi.........Dnt knw if the strike wil b cald off anytym soon
Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by SELFWORTH: 11:24pm On Nov 12, 2013
Cooldude Y2J: If only d ASUU president has called off d strike immediately after d meeting wit GEJ his death would have been averted but who are we to question God, may his soul RIP.

God didn't ask them to continue the strike. The strike continued because of selfishness and not selflessness.

God is not a supporter of evil.

1 Like

Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by Gbajabiamila1: 11:25pm On Nov 12, 2013
RIP prof...
Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by Johnsinia(m): 11:25pm On Nov 12, 2013
RIP Prof. ASUU, End ds strike nw. God is no more hapi.
Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by matty1024: 11:28pm On Nov 12, 2013
B_CELLS: Call off this lingering strike,they keep holding congresses high and low.How many of the so called lecturers voted before they embarked on the industrial action?Pressure is now mounted on them to call off the strike,they are casting votes like Nigeria is having an election,live and let's live,that position you are today,you can not be there forever!..I hope it won't inhibit the calling off the strike as speculated. RIP

My Brother, calling off the strike like you proposed is a good thing, but what about their demands?. The Goverenment need to show commitment also. Listen, ASUU did not embarked on this strike without a due cause. Our leaders sent their children out of Nigeria to study and thereby undermining our educational development. Their demands are for the betterment of our education. Let the Government show concern please.
Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by Miner13: 11:35pm On Nov 12, 2013
Wen d sam convor killed a secondary skul pupil dey wer driven at 80km/hr,wen dey had an accident d sam 80km/hr, nw head on collisn 80km/hr. I beg dey drive at 0km/hr 2 save us

3 Likes

Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by SELFWORTH: 11:35pm On Nov 12, 2013
matty1024:

My Brother, calling off the strike like you proposed is a good thing, but what about their demands?. The Goverenment need to show commitment also. Listen, ASUU did not embarked on this strike without a due cause. Our leaders sent their children out of Nigeria to study and thereby undermining our educational development. Their demands are for the betterment of our education. Let the Government show concern please.

If the government sticks to its guns, are the lecturers ready to deal with the consequences?

Even when the government agree only a few greedy people will benefit from the change.
Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by texazzpete(m): 11:39pm On Nov 12, 2013
SELFWORTH:

God didn't ask them to continue the strike. The strike continued because of selfishness and not selflessness.

God is not a supporter of evil.

May the same God you recklessly invoke punish you brutally for your criminal lack of common sense.
Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by Giftedstan(m): 11:40pm On Nov 12, 2013
Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by texazzpete(m): 11:43pm On Nov 12, 2013
SELFWORTH:

If the government sticks to its guns, are the lecturers ready to deal with the consequences?

Even when the government agree only a few greedy people will benefit from the change.

The N220bn per annum the Government is proposing to invest...not a penny goes to ASUU. Shows how little you know.

Not everything is about your precious Jonathan administration. This man has been an activist since the Babangida days, and he's also an award winning writer. Show some respect for your betters and leave this thread free from your sycophancy.

3 Likes

Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by SELFWORTH: 11:46pm On Nov 12, 2013
texazzpete:

May the same God you recklessly invoke punish you brutally for your criminal lack of common sense.

Psalm 109:7-10 May your prayers condemn you before my God in Jesus Name. AMEN

V17 As you love to pronounce curses on others, may all your curses return to you and all that belong to you in Jesus Name. AMEN

V19 May your curses be like a cloak wrapped around you like a belt forever tied around you in Jesus Name. AMEN AMEN
Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by Archildao: 11:47pm On Nov 12, 2013
RIP!Read one of his books 'HEROES' when i was a young lad.Such a prolific writer!May your struggles not be in vain.ALUTA CONTINUA...
Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by Nobody: 11:48pm On Nov 12, 2013
brb
Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by texazzpete(m): 11:51pm On Nov 12, 2013
SELFWORTH:

Psalm 109:7-10 May your prayers condemned you before my God.

V17 As you love to pronounce curses on others, may all your curses return to you and all that belong to you in Jesus Name.

V19 May your curses be like a cloak wrapped around you like a belt forever tied around you. AMEN AMEN

LMAO. The demented prayers of a maniac have no effect on me.

You're already well established on the path of raining abuse and curses at your betters. An unfulfilled life awaits you at this rate cheesy

Please let's get back on topic. Rest In Peace, Sir. A true Gentleman and Scholar

2 Likes

Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by kommiejewel(f): 11:58pm On Nov 12, 2013
Me, i hav 2 thins 2 say:
1. If ASUU had calld off dis strike sooner,this wldn't hav happend. Now they'll take dis as a reason nt 2 call off d strike. Nd d Nig. student's sufferin continues. .
2. Must they hold d mtg in Kano? Dat Lokoja rd is vry narrow;my street is evn wider than it. Jst cos d ASUU president's in BUK, he moved d NEC mtg 2 Kano; nw dis innocent man has died. RIP Mr. Iyayi. May God give ur family d fortitude 2 bear dis loss. . .
Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by Ishilove: 11:59pm On Nov 12, 2013
uceee: This is really unfortunate. I read his book "violence" when I was younger.
This strike has cost us a life. The life of a brilliant man who contributed a lot to our intellectual growth. RIP Prof!!!
Awww, he was the author of 'Violence'? Brilliant book. What waste sad sad sad
Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by scobaba: 12:19am On Nov 13, 2013
R.I.P Prof.

Ds guy was one of the very few upright university lecturers in Uniben . Naturally many students(lazy ones) dint like him cos he was not one of the 'sortable' lecturers.

He taught me behavioural science in my MBA class from 2011 to 2012.

Go with God sir. sad

1 Like

Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by delvinmaya(m): 12:22am On Nov 13, 2013
Not only did he capture living conditions accurately in nigeria when he wrote Violence, his narrative technique had a magnetic pull that glued his readers attention. in the novel Violence, there was a play that explained violence, hitting out at the ills in the society, corruption etc. A pity he became a victim of this same violence. I do not care if he was right or wring in his belief and struggle, but if you cant create life, how would you value one Adieu Sir

1 Like

Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by Nobody: 12:25am On Nov 13, 2013
Apparently, this is another strategy for d lingering strike to continue. ASUU may declare 1yr mourning strike on top dis. grin RIP sir.
Re: Festus Iyayi Is Dead (Ex-ASUU President) by morningsta(m): 12:30am On Nov 13, 2013
O what a big loss! I read his book Violence in my undergraduate days. May God Almighty grant you eternal rest sir. Amen!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

For All Students Who Studied Botany Or Any Other Plant Related Field / 100 Level COOU Student Commits Suicide Over Stress (Photo) / Folasade Ogunsola Emerges UNILAG's First Female VC (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.