Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,669 members, 7,809,534 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:56 AM

"Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN (59938 Views)

Nigeria Banks Are Now Black Market For Dollars Abroad? / Multiple Taxation Cause Businesses To Fail - FIRS / Sort Codes For Nigerian Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by goldenspoon: 5:00pm On Nov 12, 2013
just laughing.

Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Nobody: 5:02pm On Nov 12, 2013
pelhurmy: plz,wea is WEMA bank

WEMA don die Tay Tay grin
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Nobody: 5:02pm On Nov 12, 2013
Loskee: UNION BANK PEOPLE!!!
ENTERPRISE BANK...
FIDELITY!!!
FCMB!!!
STANBIC!!!
STERLING!!!
STANDARD CHARTERED!!!

NDI A, BEWAAAARRRRRREEEEE!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Standard chartered is international bank.
Richer than all those banks combined cool

1 Like

Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by condralbede(m): 5:02pm On Nov 12, 2013
waoo I can picture three of d banks am banking with thr.
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Nobody: 5:03pm On Nov 12, 2013
coolRepping 1st Bank
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by dridowu: 5:04pm On Nov 12, 2013
Thank God my money is save in 1st bank but for sterling bank i pray it does not fall as i get some little change there
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by olokpa11(m): 5:04pm On Nov 12, 2013
braine: With the way Ecobank deduct their hidden charges from my account• I just dey look them• Bloody thieves• angry
PLS do sane people still use ECOBANK?last time I checked they wiped out my money in my acct,so I tell them tnxs and move my load 2 UBA and FIRST BANK sharply tongue

1 Like

Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by drdams: 5:05pm On Nov 12, 2013
Access Bank??
They should be ' TOO SMALL TO RISE'

1 Like

Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Darejyde(m): 5:06pm On Nov 12, 2013
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by baslone: 5:07pm On Nov 12, 2013
ECO on that list spoilt the whole news
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Built2last: 5:08pm On Nov 12, 2013
where una lease STANBIC IBTC BANK na
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Nobody: 5:10pm On Nov 12, 2013
paranorman: First Bank of Nigeria Limited, Guaranty Trust Bank Plc (GTBank), Zenith Bank Plc, United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA), Access Bank Plc, Skye Bank Plc, Ecobank Nigeria and Diamond Bank Plc have been designated by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), as “too big to fail”, owing to the fact that their failure could pose a systemic risk to the banking industry and the larger economy.

The eight banks alone account for 75 per cent of the banking sector in terms of earnings, profitability assets, customer deposits and branch networks.

The CBN, it was learnt, has therefore adopted a more robust regulatory regime to monitor and scrutinise the eight banks, in order to ensure that they are healthy.

The central bank has also asked the eight banks to increase their capital base in order to give them a buffer against internal and exogenous shocks.

Confirming this development, Deputy Governor (Operations), CBN, Mr. Tunde Lemo, described the financial institutions as systemically important because of their size.

Lemo pointed out that any bank that accounts for five per cent of the banking system is systemically important.

“What that means is that we have to take a closer look at them. It doesn’t mean that they are weak, it is just that we have to focus more attention on them because, God forbid, if something happens to any of them, it may affect the entire system,” Lemo said.

Asked about the capital base that the respective banks are expected to have, the CBN deputy governor said: “It is not that they were asked to raise their capital base, it is just that when an institution is designated as systemically important, it is required to have more capital.”

For Zenith Bank, its recently released results for nine months ending September 30, 2013 showed that its profit after tax stood at N64 billion with loans and advances of N1.1 trillion. The bank also reported gross earnings of N255 billion at the end of September 2013, up by 11 per cent from the N229 billion recorded in the corresponding period in 2012.

Zenith Bank’s total market capitalisation on the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) stood at N675.024 billion yesterday.

Also, GTBank’s profit after tax stood at N69.24 billion at the end of September 2013, as against N63.734 billion earned in the same period in 2012. GTBank’s total assets also stood at N1.875 trillion, compared to the N1.73 trillion as at December 2012. Its share price on the NSE closed at N25.99 per share yesterday, giving it a market capitalisation of N764.916 billion.

In the same vein, UBA’s unaudited results for the nine months ending September 30, 2013 also revealed that its profit after tax climbed to N37.37 billion. With a market capitalisation of N257.255 billion on the NSE, its share price closed at N7.80 per share.

For Access Bank, its recently released unaudited nine-month results showed gross earnings of N154 billion at the end of September 2013. Its profit before tax also stood at N35 billion. Access Bank’s market capitalisation on the NSE was N213.269 billion yesterday, while its shares closed at N9.32 per share.

Skye Bank Plc’s gross earnings rose to N102 billion at the end of September 2013, while its profit after tax stood at N11.650 billion.
Diamond Bank also posted a profit before tax of N25.6 billion, while its total assets stood at N1.377 trillion at the end of September 2013.

First Bank of Nigeria Limited is yet to release its third quarter results because of its holding company structure. [Thisday]
The titanic was too big too fail...

1 Like

Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by alotofgrace(m): 5:10pm On Nov 12, 2013
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Nobody: 5:13pm On Nov 12, 2013
alexdidi: The titanic was too big too fail...
are u insane?
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by qplus(m): 5:14pm On Nov 12, 2013
yuzedo: LOL! Lehman Brothers all over again... The way AIG was too big to fail but needed bail-out unless the entire system for turn Zimbabwe? Okay o! undecided

Add number 9; Banana Iceland Bank... Since una no wan help una self!

A thorough audit of these institutions will surprise even Lucifer.. "Creative Accounting", i hail una for Naija... Continue deceiving yourselves! angry

Am I d only one dat noticed dat dis guy just made sense for d first time ?

4 Likes

Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Nobody: 5:17pm On Nov 12, 2013
braine: With the way Ecobank deduct their hidden charges from my account• I just dey look them• Bloody thieves• angry
Asin ehn,e dey pain me,walahi sad
I wan port go first bank.
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by walexy14(m): 5:18pm On Nov 12, 2013
Eco Bank!!!! I can't believe this
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by iterator25: 5:21pm On Nov 12, 2013
Chillisauce:

Standard chartered is international bank.
Richer than all those banks combined cool
says Who?

1 Like

Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by paranorman(m): 5:22pm On Nov 12, 2013
....and it made FP!! O boy, hard work pays you know - bringin genuine news ta Nlanders. I think i deserve a pat on the head from y'all! Abi i no try ni?

1 Like

Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Nobody: 5:22pm On Nov 12, 2013
The only TBTF institutions in Nigeria are CBN and Nigerian government. The banks are better run than CBN and FGN. If it had left the banks alone, life would have been better for Nigerians.
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Nobody: 5:22pm On Nov 12, 2013
walexy14: Eco Bank!!!! I can't believe this
Better believe it, na pan-African bank fa!

1 Like

iterator25: says Who?

They control most international transfer.
Ask around.
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by boneruns(m): 5:23pm On Nov 12, 2013
This is a very bad report coming from a supposed regulator and promoter of our economy and financial system. What then is the job of CBN if they can't make all our banks healthy? What happened to AMCON bail-out funds, injected into the failed banks? The report seem to be a politically motivated.

On what metrics would Skye Bank, that relies so much on LASG funds and deals be classified as "too big to fail"? What then happens when there's a change in Govt., or the deals from LASG stops coming?

Where is Union Bank today, one of the pioneers in banking? So many bigger banks have failed before!

This report was probably done by an armchair CBN analyst! What a crap!

2 Likes

Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Malakh: 5:23pm On Nov 12, 2013
why CBN dey deceive una , the question you guys should ask yourselves who runs all central banks and who does all central banks answer to?
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Nobody: 5:25pm On Nov 12, 2013
iterator25: says Who?

STANDARD CHARTERED IS AFRICA'S BIGGEST BANK

2 Likes

Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Nobody: 5:25pm On Nov 12, 2013
qplus:

Am I d only one dat noticed dat dis guy just made sense for d first time ?

I noticed it too. But its not the first time, are you a newbie?
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by akraym(m): 5:25pm On Nov 12, 2013
1ast to commmmennnnt on 1st page

Rem the golden rule
Please do not post adverts in this section, to avoid being killed.

1 Like

Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by ventnaija: 5:26pm On Nov 12, 2013
[Gist] : Singer Maheeda Takes Of Her Nun Cloths, Touches Her Privates & Goes Naked For Us
http://ventnaija..com.br/2013/11/maheeda-takes-of-her-nun-cloths-touches.html
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by penny01502: 5:28pm On Nov 12, 2013
teeo: They should remember what happened to the Titanic
poor brain, what brings titanic into this thread?
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Nobody: 5:28pm On Nov 12, 2013
chukwudi44:

STANDARD CHARTERED IS AFRICA'S BIGGEST BANK

Not only Africa, whole of Asia.

2000usd to open account for individual .
Check am na
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by date1816: 5:30pm On Nov 12, 2013
teeo: They should remember what happened to the Titanic
grin grin grin
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by onojiwizardgmailcom(m): 5:30pm On Nov 12, 2013
Ogbuefienubiaka: This CBN is just dum and not ready to learn anything. i work in one of the 8 banks mentioned that this kind of statement is not fair to others and to the industry as whole.

our CBN should should be sent to USA and advanc societ to learn why these regulators there hardly ever make any statement .

i hope this will not lead to another run on the other banks. just pity them

my brother i tire ooo this people made a fundamental error here, when the USA and other major economies are trying to make banks not to become to big to fail, our central bank is announcing it, puting others banks at risk. what a confused CBN, this the case of a regulator trying to kill the regulated

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

CBN Floats Naira - Allows Banks To Trade FOREX Freely At Any Rate / FCMB Replies Customer Who Requested For Loan To Buy Sex Doll / Shyngle: Herbert Wigwe’s Father Slumps, Rushed To Hospital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.