Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,335 members, 7,819,172 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:17 PM

How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? (23286 Views)

Alleged Fraud In Multi-billion Naira Firm:Forgery Scandal In CAC. / New Fraud In Town! Samarium Care. Please Beware Of These Guys (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by mextrox: 7:22am On Feb 06, 2010
am interested in working for the government to fight cyber crime i have all the knowledge it take who can help to help nigeria i promise to follow them and fight it to the cure because it affect us to we are all fraud star so we need to clear our image ket take those that are into the system not just graduate.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by epower: 10:48pm On Feb 11, 2010
I recommend a total change of attitude. It seems our culture is synanimous with fraud. Many things we do and willingly accept as the norm are seen as fraud in many other countries especially the developed world.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by Veritas09: 1:43pm On Feb 12, 2010
How to deal with fraud?

Fire EVERY SINGLE civil service employee and government official, and institute new exams and elections.

You have to start over and set new standards.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by 9jaSoul(f): 7:21pm On Feb 13, 2010
I will perhaps be chastised for this post, but I have read each and every post in this forum and I feel compelled to share my point of view - from an American perspective.

First, let me say I am not a stranger to 9ja and many of her struggles.  Because of the knowledge that I pursue and belief in God, I choose to be "Gentle as a Dove and Smart as a Serpent."  There is something to be said about the mindset of anyone who chooses to become a scam victim.  Is it greed or loneliness? What person, in their right mind, would position themselves for personal ruin?  OK, that's a story for another post.

How can we combat fraud in Nigeria?  Here is one way, my story and answer.

In preceeding year, I was contacted by a dating scammer. To make a very long story, very short, I played the game with him. After shutting down 2 foreign bank accounts, the boy became unpopular amongst his scamming peers and retreated, exposing his real identity and all other personal information to me.  (Yes, I do know this is common practice.) 

My first inclination was to go run away.  Unknown to him, I turned him over to an international organization that deals with scammers, but then I learned of their methods, that to punish and humiliate. Punishment and humiliation may work for some, but not for all.  I could not allow that to take place with this soul. 

I spent countless, patient hours occupying and learning this young man as a person, a man with dreams and desires, as do most of the Nigerian youth. He once said to me that scamming is like a drug addiction.  One can stop, but it is not an easy thing to do.  I asked myself, what was lacking, what did he need to succeed and live a positive life?  Was it simply direction and encouragement?  Faith?  A job?  An education?   
It was all of these things.

The important thing here is that he took the first step and renewed his faith. 
I offered him the direction and encouragement. 
I made contact with educators and employers I know … and they responded positively.
I offered him, with the assistance of others, an education and a job … and he responded positively. 

The business of scamming (for most) is nothing more than youth screaming for help.  What started as a scam now has one young man back in school and working.  I am looking forward to attending his graduation.

I do realize the transgressions of Nigerian politics.  But my eyes have also been opened to the conflict between the tribes … so sad.  What’s up with that?  I only know it is our responsibility, as citizens of this world, to truly love and care for our fellow human beings – 1 person at a time. 

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCG/is_4_32/ai_n27862742/?tag=content;col1

http://www.nigeriansinamerica.com/articles/2489/1/Nigerian-Youths-and-National-Development/Page1.html
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by naijacutee(f): 10:29pm On Feb 15, 2010
9jaSoul, your response to this situation is certainly admirable, and exemplary. I guess this is the perfect christian reaction to the problem. Unrealistic to the human eye, (i.e how many 419ers would we find jobs for?), but certainly makes a difference to that one person.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by 9jaSoul(f): 10:44pm On Feb 15, 2010
Yes, you a so right. cry

I wish there was more we could all do. But, there is much change that must occur and I am sure years before anything will truly be effective for the masses.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by Krrush(m): 10:40pm On Feb 28, 2010
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by Ajengogo(m): 6:13pm On Mar 09, 2010
This is a very simple question. Let's look at the question this way: how can you combat fraud in your family? As the head of the family who controls the family's finance, you allocate resources to needed areas of the family. You don't just allocate, you equally minitor the usage of the fund. No fucking family member comes to demand for, for example, N5,000 for a plate of rice when it is common knowledge that a plate costs N500, No family member comes demanding for fund for a piece of furniture when you as the head of the family knows that there is enough furniture for the family.

Bros, if we can extrapolate the simple analogy above to LG, state & Fed Govt businesses with the aid of the existing technology infrasructure (IT in particular), I beleive fraud will be greatly eliminated. That is my candid submission.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by carlos2: 1:00am On Mar 13, 2010
coming soon with my reply
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by Zubik(m): 3:59pm On Mar 20, 2010
The only solution to this problem should be from the top. Once the top has been taken care of, other things will fall in place. sad
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by mayboy81(m): 8:37pm On Mar 28, 2010
Zubik:

The only solution to this problem should be from the top. Once the top has been taken care of, other things will fall in place. sad

Guy, I think you just made a very vital point here. We all cry about corruption in Nigeria everyday like it's something that is just emanating today. Can you stop a stream from flowing without blocking its source? We heard about the rebranding packaging but where does it leads us? Look at what happened in Ekiti is dat not corruption at the highest order? The people dat are govening us are so greedy dat they'll do anything to get into power. Can we count how many lives has been taken over the years by our so called leaders? Someone was talking about rebranding whereas she her self deeps her hands into curruption every morning. The bottom line is The people that are suppose to be role models are just bunch of crooks who paints the picture of good leaders to us everyday. My brothers and sisters, I want to tell you that the solution to Nigeria's problem is beyond what we can solve with a common sense or we gattering here and brainstorming on the way forward. Prayers is just the onlything we need, No amount of talks or suggestions here can solve our problems cos those people are not ready to change. Just make sure you bless Nigeria every moning you wake up and every nite before u sleep. I believe there's nothing God can not do, We'll definately get there someday but God needs to ct off some people for good people to set in. I think I have to rest here.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by 4peace(m): 1:14pm On Apr 01, 2010
They says 'Charity begin at home'.
Let everybody go back to his or her family and make necessary correction.chikena
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by mikerich(m): 12:27pm On Apr 29, 2010
Hello All,

The solution to the FRAUD stigma that nigerian has can be solved by:

(1). When we change our mindset about making money
(2) Learn practical legit means to make money online rather than scam
(3) Engage our minds to create new ways to help others
(5) Associate with positive nation builders.

This is what I believe will do it. And above all, prayer can as well
help.

I hope this helps
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by Loveaflame(m): 7:03pm On Jun 15, 2010
We or the leaders? If our leaders are ready to be honest and do what is right fraud will decrease to a minimal level in Nigeria.The youth are only a reflection of the leaders.Honesty and the fear of God is a past tense now.
Also parents should start teaching moral values to their kids at an early age.I believe with this and others it can be reduced.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by nweike(m): 8:46pm On Jul 05, 2010
this issue is to me an illusion
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by NAIRAJET: 3:04pm On Jul 06, 2010
Hi Forumite,

thanks for the post

But can we start from within and next reaching outside

that's im saying the revolution should start from us here in the Nairaland and let others know our stand so we can capture outside

Everybody is responsible for one failure or scam here in Nigeria, if you really want to start it, i wud join you, but LET THE REVOLUTION START FROM THE MEDIA (THATS WHAT THE SCAMMERS USE MOSTLY TO GET THEIR VICTIMS)

The media houses of Nigerian small business newspaper (i dont want to mention names here), online forums, TV & radio houses and seminars they hold everywhere

takia
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by greenhope(m): 12:10am On Oct 26, 2010
Its Simply and the solution is in understanding human psychology.

According to Hierarchy of needs by Maslow, Physiological needs which have to do with Food and Shelter is the number one need humanity go after and because of the deep understanding of this discovery most developed nation have taken care of this needs in other to have a more civilized society where people will place more value on human life and not bent by all means to survive and under survival instant man can do anything be it a white, green, black or red man.

The Internet boom would have been an escape route but our youth got it wrong. At times I marvel at the energy some of this youth put into scamming people online when just half of same effort  can be channeled to legit opportunity that will help them live a very comfortable life and take care of others.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by Kaymus(m): 2:38pm On Nov 08, 2010
Life is matter of choice. All that we can do is to create an avenue through which people '419ners' can choose not to do this anymore.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by dimily: 9:56pm On Nov 14, 2010
out of 100% victims in romance scam 80 % try suiside.

so it is a really wonderfull thing if in the raising they knew about what hurt and what dont.

what makes people want to live. and what can break totally down.

the maschlow pyramid yes, that is food home and love care, social relations,
all this is made to one way victim scammer no others are in heart connection when the scammer got a good bite.

this also mean the victim dont anymore believe their friends or family. and when they then find out they were cheated. it is all they lost. they think some.

and some also lost home and borrowed to pay the scammer so they are in large dept. to friends and family.
whilst the scammer buy brands and have fun laughing at their deeds. this is the most evil scam.
that cause death many times.

and also why many get the lifelong impression that all nigerians are criminals, unless they get some heavy support right away. and are not ridiculised.

spreading knowledge about scammin in the whole world also would make people stop being victims. and if they dont have any to cheat it makes things a bit hard,

Knowledge is a good thing.

Nollywood could have some movies made with the facts of this and not talking positive about the scammer, as one movie did that was send to youtube and banned from there. good song and melody, sure- but it was a disgrace and double evil to the victims.

most people know the 419 scams are not a chance for money.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by kunlexengine: 3:28am On Nov 17, 2010
hoprfull jonathan we save us
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by IbaOrisa(m): 1:09pm On Nov 22, 2010
Well my view may be somewhat uninformed but correct me if I am wrong but don't these scammers usually target people outside of africa? If so it will be very difficult to encourage a government with a faltering economy to stop foreign funds from finding their way into that economy. Fortunately or unfortunately many countries have allowed their citizens to scam others for their country's benefit.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by Msgrt: 6:45pm On Nov 27, 2010
Efcc should be involve in combacting fraud.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by dimily: 5:33am On Dec 09, 2010
you say dont they usually scam people outside africa, well yes usually. But they dont just do that.
they also scam africans. and with passport fraud forexample, just one example.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Prices Of Foodstuff Drop Significantly – Survey / 5 Dangerous Mindsets That Can Hurt You On The Long Run / E-Naira: Company Sues CBN For Trademark Infringement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.