Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,887 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:06 AM

How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? (23292 Views)

Alleged Fraud In Multi-billion Naira Firm:Forgery Scandal In CAC. / New Fraud In Town! Samarium Care. Please Beware Of These Guys (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by JJYOU: 9:54am On Oct 16, 2008
A-town:

Okay this is just to correct the notion about how corrupt nigeria is.
In my opinion, Nigeria has always been the most corrupt and fraudulent nation in the world.
The only reason there is so much noise right now is because of the internet
The internet only made scamming easier for nigerians and it also enabled foreigners to get a whole load of what the scammers have been doing.
Before the internet they used to be called 19 boys or something like that. The internet only opened it up to every tom privates n harry.
Correct me if i am wrong, but hasn't the National Arts theatre in surulere been sold like 3 times to foreigners,
Rather than refute it, i think its high time it is embraced and maybe the stigma will go down.
Every little kid in Nigeria wants to be a Minister, Senator, and Governor, no one wants be a doctor, engineer and the likes anymore simply because everyone wants to steal money.
It's not even sad anymore, it is just funny. On a recent trip in Lagos, I was stopped by the police and i didn't have my license on me, and told him i didn't have any money. He openly told me that there are ATM's around, i couldn't help but burst out, shameless nation
so true. many nigerians are thieves by default. from the ones that steal plantain and moin moin. there is no excuse for stealing and using what you didnt work for. most of the idiots doing these nonsence now live and sleep in houses built with ill gotten wealth
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by subice(m): 11:04am On Oct 16, 2008
It is not something that cannot be salvaged, there was a time most Nigerians were hardworking, honest people. However, important foundations have to be laid and the start of it is leadership of the right kind.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by naijacutee(f): 11:06am On Oct 16, 2008
Looking at this thread, I now understand the reason for Nigeria being the healthiest soil for fertilizing the seeds of fraud which were planted by whomever we choose to blame. 90% of Nigerians will rather not talk about it - and start pointing fingers elsewhere : To the West, To the government, To Colombia, To our own "powerlesseness". . .  Anything but think of a solution. No wonder we always have to wait for foreigners to come and fix things for us.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by skfa1: 11:13am On Oct 16, 2008
naijacutee:

Looking at this thread, I now understand the reason for Nigeria being the healthiest soil for fertilizing the seeds of fraud which were planted by whomever we choose to blame. 90% of Nigerians will rather not talk about it - and start pointing fingers elsewhere : To the West, To the government, To Colombia, To our own "powerlesseness". . . Anything but[b] think of a solution[/b]. No wonder we always have to wait for foreigners to come and fix things for us.

Exactly think of a solution . I know its hard but trust me, we will get there.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by naijacutee(f): 11:42am On Oct 16, 2008
@ skfa1 below: I was just going to say thanks for your post - however, that might just be the end of this discussion. (Where you say "Think of something". . .) But I thought better about it - Let's give us a chance as we Nigerians are highly intelligent people who can rise above every opposition.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by skfa1: 12:08pm On Oct 16, 2008
@ naijacutee

You trying to say something ? spit it out.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by BOSS7: 2:46pm On Oct 16, 2008
Lagos

Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria?
« #3 on: July 22, 2008, 05:01 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm ready to assist in whatever capacity to help combat fraud in Nigeria. But I'm afraid it can't be done. Why? The same reason why AIDS cannot be cured.
Fraud in Nigeria is now a syndrome. And the very instruments that are supposed to be defending it (The family institution, government, religiuos bodies etc) have been destroyed by the virus

My heart bled when I realised that majority of Nigerians don't seem to know the difference between wrong and right anymore.

Or how else can you describe a situation:

Where a father gives money to his child to go and 'block' his way through school and on graduation organise a big party for him/her.

or where a 'yahoo-yahoo pig' goes to the church to give thanksgiving for his newly bought car.

Where merit has been slaughtered on the alter of 'connection'.

Where agberos command more respect than the police.

Where the police people 'cannot live' without collecting N20 around street corners.

Where the few credible people can't contest for election and win.

Where human life is accorded no value.

Where people don't know their rights no more.

Where government has turned into confraternity in the name of Godfatherism.

Where people cannot do a single thing right except told and forced to do so.

Where the most powerful and influential youth leaders in the Niger Delta are all Millitants. These are the future leaders of
the region.
I'm a Niger Deltan, but when I look into the future I can't help but say 'woe betide Niger Delta!'

At times, I feel like the world should stop so I can alight. I'm the most patriotic Nigerian, but I will leave the country with the first opportunity that presents itself. Where to? Maybe Ghana, maybe Cotonou, maybe Uk, maybe Australia, maybe Dubai.
I'm not going in search of money. All I need is a re-assurance of sanity. I want to be re-assured I'm not the one who's insane. I want to be re-assured that it is the people I see and relate with that are insane.

Show me a sane Nigerian and I'll show you a thoroughly irritated man.

I don't believe in predestination, but maybe Nigeria has been destined to be like this.
In that case, I beg to withdraw back my pledge!

God help Nigeria. I love her so much.
But she's headed in the path of destruction.
----------------------------------------

Oh Boy, this is serious and I'm not laughing at you neither do I envy you one bit, but I pray you get out of that mess and God helps you in getting out of that mess of a country called Nigeria. Seriously, it's that bad. I've been away since 1999 and have never been back. People told me that things are not that bad but I just have never read anything positive about my country. Don't believe in people saying otherwise about the developped countries because even if you work as a cleaner, thuogh you might be taxed heavily, I guarantee you would still have savings and the basic amenities of life because I've been through that route before and now I thank God for this life I'm living because I'm in a professional job working as an engineer.

But overall, I hope your dreams come true because you are definitely not insane but that land environment is driving you nuts and I suppose people around you would understand.

Be safe!!!
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Oct 16, 2008
Well, sorry to have contributed on this sort!, But the fact remains the same that CRIME can never be stopped in NIGERIA or in any other country,

I thought i would have gotten much time to respond on this topic, but I had just a little time, and that's my VERDICT.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by iyk41luv: 6:34pm On Oct 16, 2008
@kenflipper
men ur idea is such a genius one where did u get that idea from because those idea are remedies for nigeria fraud 2day.

pls more grips to yours elbow
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by davidif: 8:33pm On Oct 16, 2008
Give people good jobs and provide effective law enforcement and you would lower the levels of fraud SIGNIFICANTLY.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 8:38pm On Oct 16, 2008
Give people good jobs
Yeah, it's that simple.

and provide effective law enforcement
Ah, so that's what we need to do?  Wow!  Who knew?
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by LadyT(f): 8:46pm On Oct 16, 2008
Start from the top. Those in power stealing the money need to be bought to Justice and not how the Abacha family were treated where the were allowed to keep some of the money. All assets should be taken until the stolen money is recovered and people should spend some time in Jail!

We need to change our greedy culture of "I want loads of money but I dont want to work for it"
The emphasis on material wealth needs to be stopped. Be it in films or TV.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 8:54pm On Oct 16, 2008
I just think all this pontification is folly.  419 is not different from any crime. 
The way you deal with a scammer is the same way you deal with a thief.

If you really want to combat fraud, go and join the EFCC or the Police. 
That is how crime is fought.  Better still, donate your salary to the EFCC.

If you're not willing to get your hands dirty and put your life at risk,
you can't fight crime. The way to fight crime is to arrest criminals. Period.

You people don't want to 'combat fraud'. You just want to show you belong.
(not you naijacuttee, you're ok, although you haven't shared any idea yet)
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by ajayi1(m): 9:32pm On Oct 16, 2008
@ Seun. LOL, You sound rediculous but that's the main point.

@ All. Ppl should not talk about fraud or scam. GO AND PAY EFCC YOUR SALARY so that they can work on it.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by princekevo(m): 9:52pm On Oct 16, 2008
Well i choosed not to comment abt this issue of fraud in Nigeria,I only come on the topic to read some sweet and lovely ideas from my fellow Nigerians.They are really funny indeed.The issue of fraud in Nigeria is beyond jst the question "Wht is the solution to it"
I think we should start from wht are the causes of fraud in Nigeria,Why is it that our youth found themselves into doing one illegal thing or the other?One thing i know about Nigeria is tht we are not lazy,Our youths are not dull when it come to education,we are not dumbs.So why are the youths of Nigeria finding themselve in such a mess?
I believe u can only tackle a problem by knowing wht the cause is first.
So that summerises the solution jst into few words.
1. We all knows that an Idle mind is a devils workshops-Until we have a leader that would have the warefare of a commom man at heart,Creat jobs opportunities for the youths.If you you take a random sampling of the opinion of our boys into all these illegal shits,95% of them would tell u they do it becoz there is nothing else to do.And i Tell you most of these 19guys are all graduates.Govt. need to creat Jobs opportunity for our youths as such to have something to occupy the minds.Someone who have a job of 8 or 12 hrs shift must come home tire trying to rest and prepare for the next day.
A comedian in Nigeria there made a comment which we took for joke.He said"Its hunger that made people discover their talent".Now it depends on wht kind of talents are individuals developing out of hunger,it might be positive or negative talent.

2. Even the Bible madeit clear that a bitter source of water can never bring anything good at the end.The issue of fraud combact shall start from the head.When i said from the head dosent mean from the present government,coz they are all there as a result of fraudulent last election.Who would believe that OBJ the founder of EFCC would loath so much out of the National pocket.When he left he put someone who would cover up his mess.
Until we start giving chances to the right people who have the knowledge,the qualities to be leaders then we have started the journey yet.
I give credit to my brothers who took their time here to analyse the science and technologies to put in place to combact fraud.But we have to start from the root,which is?Voting in the right people who has visions and can move the country forward by turning round the Nigerian economy, creating jobs for our youths  in all levels.Reforming the starndard of Nigerian education to meet up with internation starndard instead of sending their kids abroad.With these an average Nigerian can  get job in any part of the world with a Nigerian certificate,Last but not the least transperancy in all govt. levels.With all these in place i tell you even the westerner themselve would be coming to Nigerian in search of green pasture and for studies not only the vise-ver-ser.May God help us.Amen
I think i have already said enough.lol,I greet you all my fellow Nigerian.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by LadyT(f): 10:32pm On Oct 16, 2008
Seun:

I just think all this pontification is folly.  419 is not different from any crime. 
The way you deal with a scammer is the same way you deal with a thief.

If you really want to combat fraud, go and join the EFCC or the Police. 
That is how crime is fought.  Better still, donate your salary to the EFCC.

If you're not willing to get your hands dirty and put your life at risk,
you can't fight crime. The way to fight crime is to arrest criminals. Period.

You people don't want to 'combat fraud'. You just want to show you belong.
(not you naijacuttee, you're ok, although you haven't shared any idea yet)

Nonsense people can still put their own views on how best a problem can be solved.  We ALL can't police the nation but as people we can discuss where we are going wrong and how we can change.

Theres only one King but about a million advisors!
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by Fidiru: 11:07pm On Oct 16, 2008
I read through all postulations as to curbing cum clamping down on the activities of e-pilferers and I know that we need not another CONSTITUTIONAL CONFERENCE to tackle or combat it.

Approaches to solving, be it scientific,phlilosophic,moral standard and other methods aforementioned by my learned frends are man-made. Hence, wont work.

Every problem that is electronic or mechanical can be rectified by studying the user's manual. Now, the societal problems we are facing are man-made and we need to visit our[b] operating system[/b] to understand what type of electronics/mechanical device propels each one of us.

That operating system is the HOLY BIBLE(WORD OF GOD). The electronic/mechanical device is the spirit/soul. What propels is a form of energy(fuel,biofuel,gas,electricity,solar etc) in Spiritual terms it is[b] Holy Spirit or Satanic Influence[/b].

We must start to realize that most actions are precipitated in the spiritual. That why, the word of God says" The heart of a man must be guarded jealously"

To solve Nigeria/World problems, we all need to-

1. Know and love God and FEAR HIM. Thats when wisdom that superceeds science will be divinely laid on our hearts.

2. Know ourselves and access the gifts of the spirit.

3. Know others and love them.

I can back up each human excesses with solutions from our manual(Bible).

I rest my case for now.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by zenaine: 3:53pm On Oct 18, 2008
NIGERIA as we all know is a wonderful country but it gives me headache to know that we have the worst leaders in the world,not just the leaders, it also comes down to WE NIGERIANS AS WELL, many people get to complain about the situation of fraud and other bad characters in us,we also get to complain about the harrassment and on friendly situation by others,
but we all are shut of words to face the gorvenment, i thought we are in a democratic society??but i am not seeing it at all,we all complain but simply cant say it loud or fight for our rights,it is only few that have been able to do this,

now lets take a look into our "GORVENMENT"in my own opinoin they are all thiefs and fraudsters,promising us the world and when getting to the seat stealing even more than they can carry, how do you expect the normal civilized people to behave if our own GORVENMENT can't do any better,it is in the blood every man na 'CHOP AS I GO' forgetting that we have a country to builld up,places to develop,people to help and assist, lives to change for better.
why wont we be known world wide,as BAD PEOPLE,MOST NIGERIANS now adays want to make it big,i dont just mean big BUT MIGHTY BIG, and they can do anything to get there,
WE ALL SHOULD CHECK OURSELVES,CHANGE OUR WAYS,STAND UP FOR OUR RIGHTS, AND BEHAVE AS GOOD CITIZENS AND CIVILIZED HUMAN BEINGS, maybe someday we will turn things around,
BUT OMO THAT WAN GO BE " LONG THING"
GOD HELP US ALL!
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by TouaregV8(m): 9:27am On Oct 19, 2008
Good morning my fellow Nigerians,

I have been reading and digesting the comments in this thread with a SMILE. Knowing and believing that our great nation is blessed with like minded individuals - Integrity, honesty, intelligence, vision and the ability to see beyond their navels.

I am keen to channel these qualities and passion into REALISED ASSETS for the benefit our entire nation.  I am proposing that we combine our efforts, along with other like minded Nigerians, to make a SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE to our country. 

Please don't tell me it can't be done because I believe you are flatly wrong.  Changing 'hearts and minds' is key to achieving a RENEWED and BETTER NIGERIA.

I believe in ACTION and getting to the ROOT CAUSE of problems. The Journey will be tough, risky and full of hidden and visible obstacles.  Whose up for the challenge?

By the way, thank you naijacutee for starting this thread and lordy I really enjoyed reading your thoughts.  It would be a real pleasure to continue this conversation with you.

Many thanks
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by kevchina: 9:44am On Oct 19, 2008
I think the best solution is have a strong abiding law for fraud,anyperson caught sending fraud mail will be sentence to atleast 15 to 20yrs in prison no bribe or bail charge.when the government do like this to few people all man will start thinking of better thing to do.
They are just back home there not knowing the insult and disgrace they cause for the nairalanders living in abroad,everyday i receive fraud e-mails from nigeria,when will all this end,they don't even know that oyibo people knows all the tricks now still yet they keep on circulating their rubbish mails
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by SLconcepts: 5:57pm On Oct 20, 2008
Corruption has led to a Nation that is crippled in terms of basic infrastructure. With the huge potential in terms of Human Resources this country boast of its a pity the way things are going. But u know what the scary part is? What if this is just the beginning? shocked
Gradually we the people of this nation have exchanged our talents, genius, creativity for all kinds of instant gratifications all in the name of hard times. The word VALUES does not exist in the Nigerian dictionary, not to talk of moralty. If all this has happened during the period of the oil boom, what will happen if the current recession hits oil prices into the dark ages? When government has no option but mass retrenchement? Factories and companies close down?
Dealing with fraud is something Nigerians dont want to deal with, because theres no instant gratification. To solve the problem you have to get personal, be determined and unflinching. When your dumb, jobless friend shows up at your house in a Bentley coupe, its not time to ask him to declare a celebration but time for him to give an account, and call a thief a theif,
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by neksummi(m): 4:49pm On Oct 21, 2008
We can compat fraud by exposing all those we know are fraudulent
and by teaching those fraudstars especially those who use the internet
better things to do. Some don't actually know there are genuine
ventures they can go into on the internet.
Finally we should all do away with greed and materialism.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Oct 23, 2008
Fraud in 9ja is inevitable! fraud is every where, in every country, all around the world. U cant stop it ! the wickedness of men can only b controlled by the gospel of Jesus. Romans 1 verse 16
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by MrCrackles(m): 12:25pm On Oct 23, 2008
It can't be combated i am afraid!!

It is an incurable curse on whilst we are still living on earth

Death is the only way to put an end to each person's fraudulent mind and thinking!! grin
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by jaybee3(m): 12:30pm On Oct 23, 2008
Very simple
Snitch is the magic word

I am sure most people know one person or another that live above their means. you know all those young boys girls driving the million naira cars without any reasonable job whatsoever.
technology/processes/procedures can be used to prevent but everyone needs to contribute to cure.

we need harsher punishments like some have suggested in other threads.
death penalty or life imprisonment for public office holders
longer jail terms for 419ers
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by 190: 6:52am On Oct 24, 2008
well as 4 me mak i make my money either through legit or even fraud b4 dem combat anytin, IBB don chop finish make others no chop all d same i nor b fraud sha and the tin nor bam but wetin dem wen dey do am go do, sum dont hav a penny 2 their name or do u expect them 2 push wheel barrow in the market,its not their fault, just that there should be industries in almost every street den lets see who would be doin fraud,people are sufferin in Niheria, some of these fraud are the breadwinners in their families and b4 they ventured in2 doin fraud they were almost dead, as 4 me,its not good but its beta than stealin or robbin ourselves.cos it has reduced stealin and oda crimes by 95%
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by oceanfresh(m): 4:08pm On Oct 25, 2008
an internet forum like the nairaland is doingb a lot showing Nigerian youths better means of making money,and streamlining their activities on the internet thereby preventing unforeseen fraudulent activities.

the special fraud unit of the Nigerian police still has a lot more to do in the area of tracking down internet scam activities.

its hi time Nigerian youths had known that the land is very green and full of untapped opportunities.globalization has made it easy for people around world to exchange ideas,goods and services for mutual benefits.

keep doing your job nairaland, we all love what u guyz are doing.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by sicily4u: 10:34pm On Oct 27, 2008
what are talking about, who are the frauds, who start it, president, Governors and local government Chairman, an ordinary Senegal that has no economy is taking care of there citizen

who's to be blamed.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by aomom(m): 7:23am On Oct 28, 2008
my bible tells me that teach ur child in the way they should go that when they grow up, they will neva depart from it.
that tells u something if some parents don't understand what parenting rily means, lets forget about the adults they are already rotten and they cant be corrected! lets face the young ones they rily need to be checked, let them be taught in school the consequences of fraud, let them see reason why fraud should be a no go area, imagine i was asking a gal out she was asking me whether i am a yahoo boi and i sed no bcoz of that she asked me to stop disturbing her, what does this mean even if ur not one u can because of that go into fraud. nigeria was mentioned in micheal crithon's THE RISING SUN as a fraud hub.
lets deal with from our homes before we go national. some kids will display fraud skill and some parent will give them kudos for that. the case if u gat cousins, siblings plz give them every reason y fraud is very bad. This fraud thing will rilly affect our economy
lets face the fact now, undergraduates in our tertiary institutions dont read anymore they go into this internet scam stuff that is time consuming yet they pass their examz because, some corupt lecturers are there to upgrade their scores, plz ppl are this not the ones to move the economy? lets work on the younger ones forget about trying to straighten a fully grown bent iroko, that should av been straighten at tender age.
some parent infact teach their on how to scam, while some are the ones responsible for their ward going into scams.
i am cryin deeply inside me coz the brilliant and hardworking ones, that deserve gud jobs don't get but the rotten one getz them because their parent has connections. my uncle told his son he wants distinctions before my cousin will be allowed to go into a university because he gather Cs in his core course and he wants to be Engineer! the brilliant ones don't get placements in our university its the daft ones that gets it because their parents.
one prayer we should be praying is that God should make us good parents.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by shimaalex: 4:36pm On Oct 30, 2008
I hate it when people say that fraud can not be combated. That thought alone is defeating. I understand that most times we find our selves in a state of dispondency, but doing nothing at all should not be an option. We must try to have some confidence in our Nation, giving up on it is disastrous. Have we accepted that our future is a forgone issue? My guess is no! Nigeria's future is our future so lets put heads together to combat fraud at what ever level we find ourselves. It must not be only when you are working for the Government, in the private sector, in our homes etc.
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:56am On Oct 31, 2008
@ shimaalex

hate it o love it, doesnt change a thing

fraud cant be eliminated.

the world system is governed by the devil, who is refered to as the god of this world in 2 corthians 4 v 4.

to fight fraud is to fight the devil, can u do that? for we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against principalities, powers and might and spiritual wickedness in high places.

If u aint born again u HAVE no chance to win. I REPEAT THE REMEDY IS TO PREACH THE GOSPEL!
Re: How Can We Combat Fraud In Nigeria? by Thor(m): 9:04am On Nov 01, 2008
I think the only way is to make 419 a capital crime punishable by death, problem is that if this came into law, half the population of Nigeria would be executed tomorrow undecided

I still think that 419 yahoo boys should be publicly beheaded and their rotting bodies dragged around the streets.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

5 Dangerous Mindsets That Can Hurt You On The Long Run / E-Naira: Company Sues CBN For Trademark Infringement / Was Abiola An International Drug Baron?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.