Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,631 members, 7,809,353 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:14 AM

Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians (24389 Views)

Mbeki, Muazu, IBB, Abdulsalam Abubakar Pose For The Camera (photo) / Buhari With Thabo Mbeki And Abdulsalam Abubakar (photo) / Jonathan In Closed-door Meeting With Abdusalami, Mbeki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Nobody: 11:16pm On Nov 25, 2013
Litmus:
You're not a Nigerian you're a coward. Why are people such cowards? Just own up to what you are, don't be scared.

Well, I'm technically not a Nigerian. I'm a Yoruba boy via Ijebu.

My identity is older than Nigeria, anyway. grin
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Litmus: 11:38pm On Nov 25, 2013
Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians, indeed

lol, i don't even know where to start...man weak, i tell ya. Thabo Mbeki? these idiots who couldn't even defeat minority white rule in South Africa now suddenly have mouth.

1 Like

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Nobody: 11:47pm On Nov 25, 2013
Litmus: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians, indeed

lol, i don't even know where to start...man weak, i tell ya. Thabo Mbeki? these idiots who couldn't even defeat minority white rule in South Africa now suddenly have mouth.

And who did Nigerians defeat? At least they live in a better country. Yes, the same country millions of Nigerians would die just to live there. Keep running your mouth like some Lord Lugard didn't amalgamate different docile tribes for perpetual and generational servitude, to form today's Nigeria. The ghost of Lord Lugard is still ruling you and the structure he created, is still the structure of governance in today's Nigeria. Bigger North vs smaller South.

Pray tell me who the generational coward is? grin

1 Like

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Litmus: 12:21am On Nov 26, 2013
shymexx:

And who did Nigerians defeat? At least they live in a better country. Yes, the same country millions of Nigerians would die just to live there. Keep running your mouth like some Lord Lugard didn't amalgamate different docile tribes for perpetual and generational servitude, to form today's Nigeria. The ghost of Lord Lugard is still ruling you and the structure he created, is still the structure of governance in today's Nigeria. Bigger North vs smaller South.

Pray tell me who the generational coward is? grin

shymexx:
And who did Nigerians defeat?

Apartheid for a start.

shymexx:
Yes, the same country millions of Nigerians would die just to live there

From what's posted here regularly Nigerians are indeed dying in that country at the hands of police and jealous South African citizenry. All that remains is for the res of them to die of HIV Aids

shymexx:
Keep running your mouth like some Lord Lugard didn't amalgamate different docile tribes for perpetual and generational servitude, to form today's Nigeria.

you shoulnt be too sniffy about docility because it may be the thing saving the Indian community from being slaughtered at the moment.

shymexx:
The ghost of Lord Lugard is still ruling you and the structure he created, is still the structure of governance in today's Nigeria. Bigger North vs smaller South.

Lord Lugard, Jan van Riebeeck,The Big Six (lol) ---The Big Six grin grin all nations more or less have controversial beginnings and all nations are artificial constructs so what's the big message?

3 Likes

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by mannobi(m): 12:47am On Nov 26, 2013
chux76:

http://www.punchng.com/editorial/mbekis-damning-verdict-on-nigerians/
the pro gej supporters will see this in a negative way.
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Litmus: 1:29am On Nov 26, 2013
Anyone urging Nigerians to take to the streets as Egyptians are doing does not mean Nigerians well. In truth, the history of Africa, and a significant addition to the causes of her relative underdevelopment and backwardness, has been one insurrection after another. The Arab world has nothing to teach black Africa about insurrections. And, in terms of the pursuit of democracy, the African world is ahead of the Arab world.

Actually, having understood now, on this board, the depths of the insincerity of Africans from certain Nations, i would not put it past Mbeki that he is indirectly sending a message to the youth of South Africa to rise up and restructure the inequalities in South Africa.

3 Likes

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Nobody: 1:39am On Nov 26, 2013
Litmus:
Apartheid for a start.

How can you defeat something that was never there? Was there any story of apartheid in Nigeria? I don't want to get disrespectful because I'm Nigerian as well. However, I would say the Brits left Nigeria early because the country was next to worthless in the 50s, apart from a few cash crops. I guess that was why they gave power to the northern oligarchy to be the face of British rule - and focused on countries in Southern Africa with more resources. You would've done the same if you had religious fanatics to deal with in one part of the country. Belligerent people with no respect for British rule in another part. And people having cannibalistic feasts at the other end. Add the weather and mosquitoes to it. With no resources whatsoever.

Regardless, it was a blessing in disguise for Nigeria

From what's posted here regularly Nigerians are indeed dying in that country at the hands of police and jealous South African citizenry. All that remains is for the res of them to die of HIV Aids

Like Nigerians don't have high rate of HIV. Anyway, poverty, crime, bad roads etc. kill more people annually in Nigeria, than AIDS would ever do to SA. So do the maths.

you shoulnt be too sniffy about docility because it may be the thing saving the Indian community from being slaughtered at the moment.

You mean the same Nigerians who are afraid of white skin and who worship pale skin would kill Indians? shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin You definitely can't make this shiit up. grin grin grin

Lord Lugard, Jan van Riebeeck,The Big Six (lol) ---The Big Six grin grin all nations more or less have controversial beginnings and all nations are artificial constructs so what's the big message?

The message is that the ghost of Lord Lugard still rules over Nigeria!!

Let Nas speak to you:

They got Nigeria and Niger, two different countries
Somehow Niger turned to nigger, and shit got ugly
The problem is we started thinking like the colonists
'Til Noble Drew Ali started droppin' that consciousness

cool
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Nobody: 2:12am On Nov 26, 2013
Here is the original interview Mbeki had with the Guardian, he said nothing of what is being attributed to him in the article from the Punch. The interview was about democracy in Africa as a whole, not specifically Nigeria, he also gave special focus on his own party the ANC and south africa.

The people have themselves to blame for leadership woes in Nigeria, Africa – MbekiBy Wale Odunsi on November 10, 2013@waleodunsi
Former South African President, Mr. Thabo Mbeki, says although elected officials should be blamed for bad governance, the people, including trade unions, civil society and religious groups, should take greater responsibility for leadership problems in Nigeria and other countries in Africa.

Mbeki, in an interview with The Guardian, said the leaders were guilty for “the big inequality in society,” adding that only an active and informed citizenry could put a stop to bad leadership.

Mbeki expressed regrets that the so-called liberation, and independence of African countries, including Nigeria, have to some extent, “de-mobilised” the people.

He said: “They would be engaged in actions, struggles of one kind, or another, to bring about their independence and when it finally comes, they relax.

“It now becomes a question of: ‘this is our own government; now, our fate is in our own hands, these are people that were elected’ and so on.

“I’m saying that, in many instances, this is what has happened as a consequence of which the leadership doesn’t feel the pressure from the people because the people, as I’m saying, are demobilised. As a result of not feeling this pressure, the leadership does whatever it likes. To that extent, you can also say that part of the problem is also the fault of the ordinary people.

“Before they became senators and all of that, in Nigeria, for instance, they were members of political parties. The first place to start is with the ANC, in South Africa and other parties; with the PDP, in Nigeria and other parties, to say: what are your policies, in all these things, do we all agree that this inequality is wrong? Yes, we do.

“Therefore, what are the policies that you are going to put in place? We’re going to elect you into government, then you become senators and presidents and all of that, but when you get into positions, you must carry the party policies with you. That is the starting point.”

The former president further stated that, “the people have to get “the ANC to define its policies – the ANC would have its own processes, as the PDP would have its own processes, too – but that’s your starting point.”

http://dailypost.com.ng/2013/11/10/the-people-have-themselves-to-blame-for-leadership-woes-in-nigeria-africa-mbeki/
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Genius100: 2:15am On Nov 26, 2013
The funny thing is that Nigerians do not need to die to effect change. Just coming together, leaving ethnic, regional and religious sentiments aside, to ensure that non-corrupt leaders are elected is too much to ask from Nigerians.
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by GooseBaba: 2:38am On Nov 26, 2013
Genius100: The funny thing is that Nigerians do not need to die to effect change. Just coming together, leaving ethnic, regional and religious sentiments aside, to ensure that non-corrupt leaders are elected is too much to ask from Nigerians.

Confirm!!!! Correct yarn my guy. A country like Nigeria cannot afford to attempt that thing called revolution. If we attempt it na civil war be that. If you revolt some leaders would have to be slaughtered. We can't Even speak with one voice against corruption which tribe would allow their kins man to be a scape goat for revolution.

The problem we have now is a docile citizenry. We can't even hold our local government reps or senators accountable and we are looking to protest against the presidency. We cannot even hold common secretariat employees accountable for demanding bribes or speake with one voice against police brutality that affects us directly. And yet we seek change from the top.

We are in a hurry to nowhere. When one challenges a government official for bribery and you expect others in line to back you up. Instead they will cut infront of you and apologize to the official with bribe in hand. And you wonder why politicians steal with impunity.

1 Like

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by edi287: 4:34am On Nov 26, 2013
I used to think tribalism died/will die with our fathers till i joined Nairaland. I honestly hope the bigots on here were born during the war-early 70s because it'll be sad if these idiots are part of the future. Someone needs to ban this "giant of africa" tag we've given ourselves.

1 Like

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by deb(m): 6:14am On Nov 26, 2013
mannobi:
the pro gej supporters will see this in a negative way.

They are just iiidiots.
This is supposed to call for sobber reflection for a very matured mind but illiteracy & ignorance will not let them think corrrectly.

I'm beginning to think that lack of good education is a deliberate effort by the politicians to keep a lot of i.idiots like the ones we have here perpetually & mentally enslaved.
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by ojeoguc: 6:18am On Nov 26, 2013
Mbeki was not the first person to say this fela kuti was through his music but pple take his message as a means of smoking indain-hem and forget the meaning . am a strong supporter of revolution in Nigeria and if need be am ready to but my life on line . Is time we the citizens blame ourselves for the failure of Nigeria not the politicians because we can easily change them. Lets come together and form a pressure group . I thank u all.
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by bassette(m): 6:32am On Nov 26, 2013
berem: A wise man have spoken. It is left for the foolish ones to listen.
yours is the best followup to this topic..thank u.
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by bassette(m): 6:48am On Nov 26, 2013
deb:

They are just iiidiots.
This is supposed to call for sobber reflection for a very matured mind but illiteracy & ignorance will not let them think corrrectly.

I'm beginning to think that lack of good education is a deliberate effort by the politicians to keep a lot of i.idiots like the ones we have here perpetually & mentally enslaved.
you are not far from my thoughts..our main bane here is poverty mindedness..some persons feel cos they privileged to attend private unis or school abroad thereby positioned to earn higher and beta pay packages it makes dem beta than the rest..forgetting that u re still coming back to the failed system of governance..the church will preach heaven on earth but d@ earth is still dis nigeria of no constant pwr,thieving politicians,crazy and annoyin taste for d money,bad roads,negative mindedness of d pple,etc..with all the monies u may av u still re exposed to all these things and more...They give u money but deny u value..who's the stupid one!
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Nobody: 7:06am On Nov 26, 2013
edi287: I used to think tribalism died/will die with our fathers till i joined Nairaland. I honestly hope the bigots on here were born during the war-early 70s because it'll be sad if these idiots are part of the future. Someone needs to ban this "giant of africa" tag we've given ourselves.

Ah-ahn, how could tribalism have died? It won't just fade away regardless of how late in history you are born. It's not going to end by passivity. It would have been awesome if we could just wish it away, but that's not going to happen.

The moment someone says "my name is Emeka" you have already placed him as "igbo". When a Yoruba man meets a fellow Yoruba man In a publIc gatherIng, they ImmedIately launch Into a torrent of theIr vernacular and a bond Is establIshed. You might think that's benign but it's the beginning of the ugliness. Our concept of brotherhood is such that we are bound by tribe and language; and because of this Nigeria is less of a nation state in principle, and more like the city states of ancient Greece - a confederacy at best. Or maybe just a conglomerate of ethnic groups whose only common interest is the resources that have been claimed by the center in the land use decree of 1978.

The 1999 constitution states in section 13: The composition of the Government of the Federation, or any of its agencies and the conduct of its affairs shall be carried out in such a manner as to reflect the federal character of Nigeria and the need to promote national unity, and also to command national loyalty, thereby ensuring that there shall be no predominance of persons from a few states or from a few ethnic or other sectional groups in that Government or in any of its agencies.

This policy, known as Federal Character, has been interpreted by zoning, rotation of power and quota systems. It admits that there is no cohesion amongst tribal groups that should essentially make us a nation, and so it seeks to appease individual groups by guaranteeing them political relevance periodically to achieve a harmonious co-existence. That is not unity. Even though, the Federal character policy pretends that its ambition is to promote unity.

The only thing that Federal character ensures is "desperate tribalism". When an ethnic group finally gets its turn in power rotation, who is expected to back their candidate if his people do not? It doesn't matter how inefficient the candidate is compared with the talents from other groups who have to wait their turn, he would be shoved down our throats blindly backed by his people. Federal character has honed tribe mentality. It has fanned the embers of tribalism and given it national endorsement. How would tribalism just die?

When I hear "federal character" I would imagine it would highlight the chord that unites all members of a federal state. But maybe there's no such chord? Then why are we pretending? At least we could be honest about our peculiar condition. We could opt for state controlled resources, pay tax to the center, and weaken the center sufficiently to reduce its appeal and the insane clamour for Aso rock. Or we could skid down the road towards disintegration, because that's where we are headed if nothing is done.

3 Likes

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Nobody: 8:02am On Nov 26, 2013
Lol why shud I be in the same category with a gay and a transgender!! God forbid!
Ur father must be gay but married ur mother just to cover up and you are the outcome of the devilish marriage! Useless family!!

beryl04:
it is your father that is transgender,stewpid stewpid biaatch.u even have time to be checking my profile,lol.it confirms ur below par IQ.sorry go find ur mates to take jibes at.
Me and u no dey the same category useless girl.

1 Like

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by imauri: 2:52pm On Nov 26, 2013
peppy luv: Good to know that a monkey gave birth to u!
Hypocrites!

as did a monkey give birth to you.... brain dead ram fkcuing maggot.... if only u could utilize at least just 5% of your brain power, maybe, just may be this might be an intelligent conversation... depending on your level of stupidity.. depending

1 Like

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by imauri: 2:57pm On Nov 26, 2013
peppy luv: Just checked your profile and got to know that you are a transgender!!
You are a candidiate of hell!
See who is feeling like a politician,lol! Go tru my post and check if I'v had anytin to do with romance or dating section unlike you.
Even if I visit those sections,I'll post somtin meaningful unlike you who keeps promoting your disgusting gay life!
Wats ur other gay moniker cuz u just registered this a while back.
Shameless idi ot!!

it appears your level of foolishness is epic... im so so sorry i understimated your level of stupidity, it is higher than i tot!.... its all the beastility u practice... it is killing ur brain man... go on! check my profile... im sure u already did.. and what u found was a mirror reflection of your brain.... Nothing.lol

1 Like

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Litmus: 4:49pm On Nov 26, 2013
deleted
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Litmus: 5:09pm On Nov 26, 2013
It is pointless posting crap about South Africa, so have deleted.....suffice it to say Nigeria is great hope other African nations catch up.
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Nobody: 6:40pm On Nov 26, 2013
And what is this prosti tute feeling like? I don't need to check ur profile to know that u are gay and an animal!
Look who is talking about beastility, a girl that sucks her fellow woman's boobs!!
U are worse than a beast cuz even animals are not gay!
Shameless cursed pig!
Intelligent and smart girl wanna be! Fool!

imauri:
it appears your level of foolishness is epic... im so so sorry i understimated your level of stupidity, it is higher than i tot!.... its all the beastility u practice... it is killing ur brain man... go on! check my profile... im sure u already did.. and what u found was a mirror reflection of your brain.... Nothing.lol
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by UyiIredia(m): 7:59pm On Nov 26, 2013
Raggedy_Ann:

Ah-ahn, how could tribalism have died? It won't just fade away regardless of how late in history you are born. It's not going to end by passivity. It would have been awesome if we could just wish it away, but that's not going to happen.

The moment someone says "my name is Emeka" you have already placed him as "igbo". When a Yoruba man meets a fellow Yoruba man In a publIc gatherIng, they ImmedIately launch Into a torrent of theIr vernacular and a bond Is establIshed. You might think that's benign but it's the beginning of the ugliness. Our concept of brotherhood is such that we are bound by tribe and language; and because of this Nigeria is less of a nation state in principle, and more like the city states of ancient Greece - a confederacy at best. Or maybe just a conglomerate of ethnic groups whose only common interest is the resources that have been claimed by the center in the land use decree of 1978.

The 1999 constitution states in section 13: The composition of the Government of the Federation, or any of its agencies and the conduct of its affairs shall be carried out in such a manner as to reflect the federal character of Nigeria and the need to promote national unity, and also to command national loyalty, thereby ensuring that there shall be no predominance of persons from a few states or from a few ethnic or other sectional groups in that Government or in any of its agencies.

This policy, known as Federal Character, has been interpreted by zoning, rotation of power and quota systems. It admits that there is no cohesion amongst tribal groups that should essentially make us a nation, and so it seeks to appease individual groups by guaranteeing them political relevance periodically to achieve a harmonious co-existence. That is not unity. Even though, the Federal character policy pretends that its ambition is to promote unity.

The only thing that Federal character ensures is "desperate tribalism". When an ethnic group finally gets its turn in power rotation, who is expected to back their candidate if his people do not? It doesn't matter how inefficient the candidate is compared with the talents from other groups who have to wait their turn, he would be shoved down our throats blindly backed by his people. Federal character has honed tribe mentality. It has fanned the embers of tribalism and given it national endorsement. How would tribalism just die?

When I hear "federal character" I would imagine it would highlight the chord that unites all members of a federal state. But maybe there's no such chord? Then why are we pretending? At least we could be honest about our peculiar condition. We could opt for state controlled resources, pay tax to the center, and weaken the center sufficiently to reduce its appeal and the insane clamour for Aso rock. Or we could skid down the road towards disintegration, because that's where we are headed if nothing is done.

Word ! I especially like your closing co moments on financial autonomy of the states. But we sabi say some folks too like OYEL money to free for DAT one
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by almustapha007: 8:40pm On Nov 26, 2013
Mr. Mbeki, those in glasshouse don't throw stones.

You're one of such leaders also.

Please go and answer the corruption case against you in the arms deal scandal in south africa.
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by imauri: 9:53pm On Nov 26, 2013
peppy luv: And what is this prosti tute feeling like? I don't need to check ur profile to know that u are gay and an animal!
Look who is talking about beastility, a girl that sucks her fellow woman's boobs!!
U are worse than a beast cuz even animals are not gay!
Shameless cursed pig!
Intelligent and smart girl wanna be! Fool!

all you seem to talk about is homo tins... seems ur not only into beastility, u like them chichi man... and u seem to take pride in explaining explicit details of ur actions.... i see you looking in the mirror and describing yourself ...lol.... beast..lol
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by beryl04(m): 11:18pm On Nov 26, 2013
peppy luv: Lol why shud I be in the same category with a gay and a transgender!! God forbid!
Ur father must be gay but married ur mother just to cover up and you are the outcome of the devilish marriage! Useless family!!

What u need is help and fast.the blame is not on u tho,the extreme crassness ur exhibiting here is tantamount to the ills that Mr mbeki is pointing out to us here.you re just a by-product of the dysfunctional nigerian society we find ourselves in.really,it's not ur fault,and to think u can actually type,smh, sorry.just go get help asap.

1 Like

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by beryl04(m): 11:27pm On Nov 26, 2013
@imauri, pls that girl needs help .just cut her some slacks seeing her pitiful condition as envisioned in her write up.why waste ur mb on a probable street girl who runs her mouth in like manner on a faceless forum?

She's just a mirror image of naigeriya! A true case of garbage in garbage out.
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by imauri: 1:41pm On Nov 27, 2013
beryl04:

What u need is help and fast.the blame is not on u tho,the extreme crassness ur exhibiting here is tantamount to the ills that Mr mbeki is pointing out to us here.you re just a by-product of the dysfunctional nigerian society we find ourselves in.really,it's not ur fault,and to think u can actually type,smh, sorry.just go get help asap.

just dont explode lol... ur write up expresses alot of emotion ..lol, the lesson here states that you can conduct a discussion without insulting anyone who has a different view from you.... unfortunately it is people like you that this south African refers to... people like you are the psychotic cancers eating away at the natural fabric of our society.... people like u should have the tongues cut out and shot. hypothetically...lol (all that english u are displaying is a waste).. when it comes down to it, u are educated obviously but are u exposed and mature enough to handle a discussion...No...education without exposure amounts to what you see in your mirror... lol

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Jonathan, Zuma Open Talks Over Botched $15m Arms Deals. / Tinubu To Governors: Primaries Crucial To Democracy / IGP Orders Closure Of Police Monitoring Units Offices In Lagos, PH

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.