Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:13 PM

Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians (24400 Views)

Mbeki, Muazu, IBB, Abdulsalam Abubakar Pose For The Camera (photo) / Buhari With Thabo Mbeki And Abdulsalam Abubakar (photo) / Jonathan In Closed-door Meeting With Abdusalami, Mbeki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by adconline(m): 3:27pm On Nov 25, 2013
kingoflag: Just like I never fail to mention the North or the Yorubas...but u don't see them crying at my statements.
It's a Fxucking Naija problem! Keep living in ur small mind of denial. Thabo Mbeki was referring to all Nigerians. He has dealt with Nigerians from all tribal and regional affiliations

2 Likes

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by nijanigga: 3:27pm On Nov 25, 2013
Nigerians got independence on a platter of gold, those that shed blood to gain independence can put anything on the line to defend their hard earned democracy or freedom. There is no hope for Nigerians.
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by ronalmagic10(m): 3:30pm On Nov 25, 2013
ChiSun27: Nigeria will only change the day we develop the mentality of the Libyans and Egyptians.

Even that would not solve the problem. Might even worsen it

1 Like

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by akandea(m): 3:49pm On Nov 25, 2013
I don't know why some nigerians do not desire better life, better conditions, is it too much for nigerians to live good lives like others having even decent leadership?
It baffles me when people are demanding for things that are rightfully their birthrights, some few ones amidst them find reasons for hardship to continue.
If u like this terrible life for yourselves , then have pity on your children and your unborn grand children
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by dasparrow: 3:55pm On Nov 25, 2013
adconline: Naija is irredeemable! Collective apathy and laziness to stand up for what is right. I was at Shoprite and the checkout line was long, joined the queue and was the next to be attended to, a stranger, jumped the line and said he was right behind me and had stepped out a foot to get some candy bars. I insisted that the man was not in line and folks behind me knew it, but none of them challenged him. As a matter of fact, 2 guys rose in his defense and started saying that I was being hard and petty like a " woman". Folks I was looking out for, threw me under the bus

@Bolded

I am not surprised at all. Most Nigerians do the same abroad too. They will join hands with foreigners to pull you down. Don't count on the average Nigerian to have your back over that of a foreigner because they won't. I wish I was never from Nigeria because I have been blessed to have lived in various countries around the world and I have never seen other nationalities support a Nigerian over their own compatriots. When the chips are down, the average foreigner will support his fellow countryman or woman over the foreigner. The same however cannot be said about the average Nigerian.

Even here on Nairaland, non-African foreigners will come here and spew racial slurs. They don't get banned or their posts hidden. When you try to give these racist foreigners who come on Nairaland to insult us a taste of their own medicine, you get stopped or told by fellow Nairalanders not to insult them. I have seen some inferiority complex stricken Nairalanders address a racist white or indian person as "my brother". I shake my head. So they see someone who sees them as inferior and hates them and call them all sorts of derogatory names as "a brother" but someone from the same Nigeria, they see as an outsider or enemy.

Often times, I ask myself if it is worth it living in Nigeria because the discrimination one experiences in the form of tribalism is almost as bad, if not as bad as the discrimination one faces should one live in another country. I wonder why we Nigerians insist on remaining together when we don't have an atom of love in our hearts for each other.

6 Likes

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by brain54(m): 4:18pm On Nov 25, 2013
Obiagelli: Mbeki sure knows nigeria expecially from his surulere years. 2015 goes wrong and I am done with Nigeria.
exactly what the post is commenting on. i wonder where and how this mentality originated from...problems do not solve themselves or by running away from them.
i am in for anything that would bring positive change in this country. i will like my name etched in gold in the history books of this country. and i think this is what most nigerians lack..they just want a few naira in their pockets...I WANT GLORY.
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by dungdusugyang(m): 4:28pm On Nov 25, 2013
" a major factor has been the role of ethenicity and religion on the way ppl perceive issues in the country. Once a person offends the law and is about to be brought to justice, there will be 'shameless' pretest from his kith and kin, claiming victimization on account of the persons ethnic origin." thatz so true, coming from a non -Nigerian, I feel like entering the ground......." a govt came to office when the price of oil was $18 per barrel was able to pay off the country's debt of over $30 billion and saved over $50 billion in foreign reserves and more then $20 billion in excess crude account. But the country is now accumulating debts, even when the price of oil in the international market has remained largely above $100 pb in the past six years. Yet, Nigeriens are not asking questions and are so enfeebled that their views, when expressed, don't count. A major factor has been the role of ethnicity and religion in the way people perceive issues in the country." what a countrasting and naive marger call Nigeria...we need serious revolution...press like if u concur with this...
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by imauri: 4:49pm On Nov 25, 2013
beryl04:

You are such an arze.hole! Cos of eediaats like u we've remained stagnant.stewpid ignorant biaatch.

dont mind the monkey
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by imauri: 4:53pm On Nov 25, 2013
Opiosko: Shut up Mbeki, u ar not better than Nigerian rulers. What did u do when u were in power...persecuting Jecob Zuma right?....yes that was what u did and it was so obvious that S A prosecutors had to drop the whole charge against him. Just shut ur trap, we know our heros in Africa and u ar not and certainly will never be among them. Abeg go clean Mandiba yansh.

you are insulting Him for saying the truth? you are just a half dead, maggot eating goat bleeper... are you attacking him for accepting the reality u have deluded yourself off? go some where else and practice ur beastility.... vagabond. you are the very image of the nigeria the thread defines...
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Nobody: 4:57pm On Nov 25, 2013
adconline:
It's a bleeping Naija problem! Keep living in ur small mind of denial. Thabo Mbeki was referring to all Nigerians. He has dealt with Nigerians from all tribal and regional affiliations
Dude, are u dumb or what? Of course it's a freaking Nigerian problem, does it sound like I assign blame to only one group. Please,read what I wrote and miss me with the hypocritical bullshiyyt.
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Nobody: 5:02pm On Nov 25, 2013
Gracyel: Small time nau, u go dey call urself 'genius'. Education doesnt necessarily mean Literacy. İlliteracy, İgnorance and Tribal hate is really killing this country. Nawa for u o!
Point to a lie I told, and tell me how it's different from Mr.Mbeki's assertion and observation that when a corrupt person is discovered his kin rise to his defense.

Like I said: it's an indisputable fact that Igbos support this govt in their majority. It is also an indisputable fact that this govt is totally corrupt. It might be the turn of the Northerners or Westerners to carry this inglorious torch tomorrow...that's not the crux of the matter at hand right now. Lets deal with RIGHT NOW.

Now show me where I was wrong, emotional man.
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by adconline(m): 5:19pm On Nov 25, 2013
kingoflag: Point to a lie I told, and tell me how it's different from Mr.Mbeki's assertion and observation that when a corrupt person is discovered his kin rise to his defense.

Like I said: it's an indisputable fact that Igbos support this govt in their majority. It is also an indisputable fact that this govt is totally corrupt. It might be the turn of the Northerners or Westerners to carry this inglorious torch tomorrow...that's not the crux of the matter at hand right now. Lets deal with RIGHT NOW.

Now show me where I was wrong, emotional man.
Quit tribalising this issue. Naija as a country is a cesspool of decay and corruption irrespective of tribe, state of origin, and region.

2 Likes

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by NaMe4: 5:23pm On Nov 25, 2013
A major factor has been the role of ethnicity and religion in the way people perceive issues in the country. Once a person offends the law and is about to be brought to justice, there will be shameless protests from his kith and kin, claiming victimisation on account of the person’s ethnic origin. This blackmail has worked in many cases, including the corruption case of a former Delta State Governor, James Ibori, and it is currently being put to test in the ongoing bulletproof cars purchase scandal involving the Minister of Aviation, Stella Oduah.
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Nobody: 5:27pm On Nov 25, 2013
brain54:
exactly what the post is commenting on. i wonder where and how this mentality originated from...problems do not solve themselves or by running away from them.
i am in for anything that would bring positive change in this country. i will like my name etched in gold in the history books of this country. and i think this is what most nigerians lack..they just want a few naira in their pockets...I WANT GLORY.
My patriotism in 2011 is stronger than yours, did you follow the anambra election? Did you hear anyone talk about development?
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Nobody: 5:28pm On Nov 25, 2013
The fool who gave birth to you is an expired old hag and an ugly bit ch!!
E-saint what have done on ur part to bring the desired change but to sit at home and type with ur leprosy fingers.
I'm sure u didnt even read the article,cuz others are commenting,so u must say somtin.
Olodo,after writing special centre waec and sleepin ur way tru schl, u open ur gutters to talk to me! Shameless Wh o re!!
beryl04:

You are such an arze.hole! Cos of eediaats like u we've remained stagnant.stewpid ignorant biaatch.

2 Likes

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by namdo(m): 5:29pm On Nov 25, 2013
I am not worried any bit about Mbeki's submission plus what the op added because it has been clear to those who can perceive, including Fela Kuti of blessed memory, that we nigerians don't want to die for anything unselfish. I think, however, that since the north has ruled and plundered, West has ruled a little and plundered, East by divine providence is trying to rule 'small' and plunder, the equation would some day balance and nigerians will sought of say to themselves: 'wait a minute, what has been going on? Let's fight this thing for our collective benefit'. In that age I might not be there but by His grace my children or children's children might be there. I hope then it will become voluntary sacrifice by some folks in that age.

For now....we nor wan die faaa! Let them plunder while we type away at nairaland, abi you don ready? tell yourself the truth. Even some people here typing, even as revolutionary as their opinion may seem, cannot stand small gbege talk less a real revolution and violence that leads to positive change.

out grin

1 Like

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Nobody: 5:33pm On Nov 25, 2013
Good to know that a monkey gave birth to u!
Hypocrites!

imauri:

dont mind the monkey

1 Like

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by UyiIredia(m): 6:30pm On Nov 25, 2013
peppy luv: Pls can you create a thread for this? The topic should be "list of Nigerian thieves and still counting" so that the silly yoruba saints will see that they are dominating the list!

Why tribalize na ? Okay. Because of your lovely buttocks I will forgive this
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Nobody: 7:47pm On Nov 25, 2013
Raggedy_Ann:
You choose to turn forgetful when the truth indicts you, abi? It's true that a lot of igbos are driven by tribal sentiment in their support for GEJ just as Hausas were for Yar'adua, but the Yorubas have equally been champions of OBJ. If he met with opposition from parts of the west in office, it isn't unrivaled: GEJ's biggest nuisance is Amaechi (whoever might be pulling his strings is another matter).

The problem is there is no objectivity. The igbos are accused of being tribalist in refusing to see anything wrong with the GEJ administration and the Yorubas and Hausas are tribalist In refusing to admit there is anything right with the GEJ administration (and It would be absurd to assume that GEJ hasn't had a few happy accidents in his government) . There are exceptions in all cases but clearly not enough to change the general opinion. The blind criticism is so obvious that the president can't even celebrate his own birthday in a manner that meets with the approval of the public.

By accident or by design, the west is well positioned to influence public opinion to their advantage since most Nigerians tend to get their revelations in Church. And in these hard times we all want to be winners. And for those who do not: the media has been covered too. An unthinking population is easily swept away by cheap propaganda.

Our provincial mindset prevents us from seeing anything but conspiracy theories against us, as a tribe, by incumbents and the opposition. And that has put a rift in the masses that works to the advantage of bad government. They don't want One Nigeria and wIll do nothIng to unIfy the people. They don't need it. We do.

I can remember vividly that you said you're Kenyan on another thread earlier this year or last year, however, I see you're now aligning with your real ethnicity now. The same way Biafranqueen runs around claiming to be American, when her sentence construction and use of English, clearly shows that she's a proper Nigerian, raised in naij - with Nigerian educational background. And she's also an old member with a new handle.

Anyway, that aside. Rather than discussing the topic and points raised by Mbeki, you lot have decided to tribalise the whole thing. Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely nothing wrong with tribalism. Tribalism is as old as humanity and most of the advanced countries in the world, including Europe, were able to build advanced societies - by using the positives in tribalism. We can also take it further back into prehistoric times and say ancient Egypt achieved everything it achieved, due to tribalism and a strong identity. The Pyramid text and paintings are proofs of how the Egyptian were passionate their identity - and they separated themselves from the rest.

That said. I don't know why the conspiracy about Yoruba's controlling the media always pop up in discourse. I believe that's more of an indoctrination/make-believe and it's far from the truth. I read an article on Saharareporters, by an Igbo contributor/columnist a few weeks ago, and he asserted that the SS controls the media in Nigeria. A quick analysis also showed that everything the guy said is the truth and nothing but the truth. So what's this conspiracy theory about?

Yes, tribalism is a way-of-life for the Yoruba's due to their strong culture and identity. And I don't see anything wrong in being proud of your identity. However, when it comes to objectivity - no ethnic group in Nigeria is as objective as the Yoruba's. They would question their leaders - that's something the other groups are allergic to. However, bigotry isn't their thing, hence why other people can live among them comfortably. Igbo's on the other hand thrive on bigotry. It's always about labelling everything Yoruba "amala", "alaye", "rascal" etc. with Igbo elites and politicians, rather than dealing with issues. What's all that nonsense about? If that isn't innate bigotry, I don't know what it's. But if Yoruba elites decide to toe-the-line and reciprocate the gesture a la FFK - it would result in a lot of whining and crying from the other side. With meaningless and badly-written epistles from pseudo-scholars of Igbo extraction.

Finally, just stay on the topic and discuss all the salient points raised by Thabo Mbeki, an African hero and one of the last of a dying breed of great Africans.

1 Like

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by 735i(m): 7:50pm On Nov 25, 2013
I read Mbeki's speech..,.
I have read comments.....

I am worried!!!

How wil posterity judge us?

What will we tell our children? That we were fighting ourselves whilst our house was burning.

I WEEP FOR NIGERIA!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by EmmyDe25(m): 7:58pm On Nov 25, 2013
kingoflag: Thats the problem with you clowns like I said---- ure so deceitful and hate the truth u don't mind lying to outsiders,as well as urselves.

Tribalism? Because I spoke the truth? Are Igbos not vocally 100% behind this thieving govt? Were Northerners not behind Yar Adua? Ok, then. Is any Northerner crying over my truthful allegation? So, why do u choose to cry at the truth?

You ask about OBJs tenure. Well, pardna, I didn't give 2 fuxcks about Nigerian affairs back then,but from the little I've read his fellow Yorubas were his biggest antagonists while he garnered much of his support from the North and part of the East because he gave their "sons" and "daughters" juicy posts in his govt.
The very first time i'll be liking a comment... dude, you just made my night.
I really dont know when we'll stop bringing our ethnicity into every argument just to win some cheap points. Mbeki was really right, We are our biggest enemy.
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by beryl04(m): 8:06pm On Nov 25, 2013
imauri:

dont mind the monkey

Abi o! some 17 yrs old, instead of remaining in d romance and dating sections, will just come to political threads and be doing 'notice me' delving into topics that are way beyond their intellect, thereby spewing ignorance and helping in damaging the more ,the already destroyed psyche of the feeble nigerians.
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Nobody: 8:32pm On Nov 25, 2013
Just checked your profile and got to know that you are a transgender!!
You are a candidiate of hell!
See who is feeling like a politician,lol! Go tru my post and check if I'v had anytin to do with romance or dating section unlike you.
Even if I visit those sections,I'll post somtin meaningful unlike you who keeps promoting your disgusting gay life!
Wats ur other gay moniker cuz u just registered this a while back.
Shameless idi ot!!

beryl04:

Abi o! some 17 yrs old, instead of remaining in d romance and dating sections, will just come to political threads and be doing 'notice me' delving into topics that are way beyond their intellect, thereby spewing ignorance and helping in damaging the more ,the already destroyed psyche of the feeble nigerians.
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by beryl04(m): 8:45pm On Nov 25, 2013
peppy luv: Just checked your profile and got to know that you are a transgender!!
You are a candidiate of hell!
See who is feeling like a politician,lol! Go tru my post and check if I'v had anytin to do with romance or dating section unlike you.
Even if I visit those sections,I'll post somtin meaningful unlike you who keeps promoting your disgusting gay life!
Wats ur other gay moniker cuz u just registered this a while back.
Shameless idi ot!!

it is your father that is transgender,stewpid stewpid biaatch.u even have time to be checking my profile,lol.it confirms ur below par IQ.sorry go find ur mates to take jibes at.
Me and u no dey the same category useless girl.
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by sweetcheecks(f): 9:09pm On Nov 25, 2013
Symphony007: Why does'nt he advice his buddy? Jacob zuma to stop lavishing s.a money on his four wives and 20 kids? Why has'nt he called out julius malema for all the ill gotten wealth he has enmassed as ANC party youth leader. Why has'nt he penned articles about his fellow ANC leaders who continue to steal public money, and they will continue winning elections by hiding behind the stardom of nelson mandela. Rubbish!!!!

You have serious issues, your problem is not ignorable. Get help dude.
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by sweetcheecks(f): 9:19pm On Nov 25, 2013
Opiosko: Shut up Mbeki, u ar not better than Nigerian rulers. What did u do when u were in power...persecuting Jecob Zuma right?....yes that was what u did and it was so obvious that S A prosecutors had to drop the whole charge against him. Just shut ur trap, we know our heros in Africa and u ar not and certainly will never be among them. Abeg go clean Mandiba yansh.

My President Thabo Mbeki, Africa's hero's continue to say your peace, even in Jesus Christ's times there were Opioskco's chantting hiding among the crowd "crucify him, crucify him". The truth is if we your people of South Africa had heed to your word, we would not be having the problems we are having right now. But one thing differentiates us in this regard we will have our say 2014elections!
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by alajimeche: 9:54pm On Nov 25, 2013
Brothers if we concentrate or rather channel all this our energy on the bad things that are plaguing this country, I think we will
Be one path to freedom and a better nation.

1 Like

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Nobody: 11:09pm On Nov 25, 2013
sweetcheecks:

My President Thabo Mbeki, Africa's hero's continue to say your peace, even in Jesus Christ's times there were Opioskco's chantting hiding among the crowd "crucify him, crucify him". The truth is if we your people of South Africa had heed to your word, we would not be having the problems we are having right now. But one thing differentiates us in this regard we will have our say 2014elections!

Word. You know Nigeria has never had anyone or should I say political icon that was able to extend his/her circle of influence, or ideology outside the shores of Nigeria. Perhaps, that's why some of them are questioning an icon like Thabo Mbeki. However, we've got 1 or maybe two African literary icons - Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe. And Fela Kuti also did his thing with music as well.

Let me break down Nigerian political icons. Zik was a pan-Africanist on the surface but an opportunist beneath that. So he's inconsequential. Awolowo was a great administrator and someone I adore. However, he was MLK in reverse. Just like MLK focused on only African Americans, Awolowo was about Yoruba's and groups closer to Yoruba's to an extent. Both never made any efforts to incorporate pan-Africanism into their gospel. But that doesn't negate their achievements. They only differ because MLK was about integration without borders - but Awo was about integration with borders. I believe he wasn't a big fan of "negritude" and commonality of the experience(s) between Africans and black diaspora.

The only Nigerian leader that was on the path of being an African hero was Murtala Muhammed and he was assassinated before he started.

I guess that's why most Nigerians don't respect African icons because they live in their own delusional world.

I'm Nigerian and a black African - and Thabo Mbeki is the man. When he talks, Africans ought to listen. He says it as it's, with no chaser. Big ups to him!
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Litmus: 11:10pm On Nov 25, 2013
kinethic: And Nigerians are sitting , folding their hands, supporting and encouraging all the ones that are looting us dry. They have bankcrupt us.
Nigerians are Idiots and we have lost almost every morality in us. Everyone wants to get something from the diminishing cake the next day we go to church and kneel before the tomb of Christ in Israel and the non challant disgusting pastors and so called bishops would be praying for the thieves .
Sorry we are all idiots and we will get all we deserve .
Crazy bunch of idiots .

You surely will get what you deserve, what an i.d.i.ot.
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Litmus: 11:13pm On Nov 25, 2013
shymexx:

Word. You know Nigeria has never had anyone or should I say political icon that was able to extend his/her circle of influence, or ideology outside the shores of Nigeria. Perhaps, that's why some of them are questioning an icon like Thabo Mbeki. However, we've got 1 or maybe two African literary icons - Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe. And Fela Kuti also did his thing with music as well.

Let me break down Nigerian political icons. Zik was a pan-Africanist on the surface but an opportunist beneath that. So he's inconsequential. Awolowo was a great administrator and someone I adore. However, he was MLK in reverse. Just like MLK focused on only African Americans, Awolowo was about Yoruba's and groups closer to Yoruba's to an extent. Both never made any efforts to incorporate pan-Africanism into their gospel. But that doesn't negate their achievements. They only differ because MLK was about integration without borders - but Awo was about integration with borders. I believe he wasn't a big fan of "negritude" and commonality of the experience(s) between Africans and black diaspora.

The only Nigerian leader that was on the path of being an African hero was Murtala Muhammed and he was assassinated before he started.

I guess that's why most Nigerians don't respect African icons because they live in their own delusional world.

I'm Nigerian and a black African - and Thabo Mbeki is the man. When he talks, Africans ought to listen. He says it as it's, with no chaser. Big ups to him!

You're not a Nigerian you're a coward. Why are people such cowards? Just own up to what you are, don't be scared.

2 Likes

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Litmus: 11:16pm On Nov 25, 2013
Jesus the o.r.g.yy of hatred for Nigeria and Nigerians!!! shocked shocked shocked

Forget about Nigeria being doomed Africa is doomed, if this is the mindset of Africans, sneaky, cowardly, grotty slim-balls.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

We Promised Change To Nigerians But Not In 4 Years - Fashola Says / Ahmed Zainab: Land Borders To Be Reopened Soon / AnambraDecides2021: Soludo Addresses Supporters Gathering In His Hometown

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.