Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians (24410 Views)

Mbeki, Muazu, IBB, Abdulsalam Abubakar Pose For The Camera (photo) / Buhari With Thabo Mbeki And Abdulsalam Abubakar (photo) / Jonathan In Closed-door Meeting With Abdusalami, Mbeki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by bloggernaija: 5:38am On Nov 25, 2013
As bad as it is,
We ,omo odua will make the most out of a bad situation.
Until the day when ,
Everybody would have to bare him papa name .
We are surrounded by conservatives on all sides.
Even our own conservatives like OBJ look like saints right now.
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Nobody: 7:41am On Nov 25, 2013
bloggernaija:
What is conservative about Obasanjo? Call him what he is: a criminal whose greed is responsible for the present quagmire the country finds itself.
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Nobody: 8:09am On Nov 25, 2013
chux76: Former South African President, Thabo Mbeki’s contention that ordinary Nigerians deserve as much blame as the politicians for the leadership failure in the country provides a valid platform for the re-evaluation of citizens’ role in governance in Nigeria. According to the man who took over the mantle of leadership from the great Nelson Mandela, it is only the citizens themselves that can put a stop to bad leadership. We agree.
Democracy’s efficacy and legitimacy are predicated on an informed citizenry; without active and knowledgeable citizens, democratic representation remains empty; without vigilant, informed citizens, there is no check on potential tyranny.

Mbeki’s position quickly brings to mind the statement credited to a French historian and political thinker, Alexis de Tocqueville, that “in a democracy, the people get the government they deserve.” Given his background as an activist and freedom fighter, whose struggles helped to bring down the obnoxious apartheid system in his country, Mbeki certainly knows what it takes to put a government under pressure and compel it to do the bidding of the people, in whom lies ultimate sovereignty. This civic political culture is lacking in Nigeria at present.
But recent events in the Arab world, known as the Arab Spring, have clearly demonstrated what the people can do with power when they realize that it belongs to them, and is only held in trust on their behalf by politicians. Once the Arabs lost faith in the way they were being governed, they expressed their views very strongly and forced changes. The change of government that took place in Libya, Tunisia and Egypt was an inevitable capitulation to the will of the people, just in the same manner as the reforms that were introduced in Morocco.
This point has been made even more pointedly in Egypt where, after three decades of authoritarian rule, the government of Hosni Mubarak was unceremoniously brought to an end. Notably too, even his successor, Mohammed Morsi, was swept away in a gale of protests, barely a year after assuming office as the first democratically elected president of the country. To achieve this, the people were ready to put their lives on the line, confronting security agents and defying live bullets.
Unfortunately, here in Nigeria, nobody wants to put his life on the line. Apathy by the civil populace has meekly handed politicians and political office holders the freedom to steal the country blind and squander its resources in a manner, perhaps, unheard of in the annals of the country. It is difficult to think of a country where over N2 trillion spent in the name of subsidy has not been properly accounted for; yet, nobody is behind bars two years after. It is unimaginable that in a country that professes the rule of law, billions of Naira belonging to pensioners could vanish into thin air and nobody is made to account for it.
Indeed, it is still difficult to fathom how over 100 security agents could be murdered in cold blood while on official duty and the killers still prance around unmolested. It is perhaps only in Nigeria that a minister would authorize the purchase of two extra cars, apart from her other official vehicles, for N255 million. To think that this is happening at a time when a minister was given the boot in Ghana for merely expressing her desire to acquire up to $ 1 million through politics only reinforces the extent to which Nigerians are docile and satisfied with the kind of government that they have. The Nigerian minister in question is still in office.
It is not just under the current government, governments in Nigeria have always acted as if they exist in a different planet and owe the electorate neither explanations for their actions, nor effective service delivery. Yet, when the time comes to make a change through the ballot box, it is either the same villains are returned to power or they rig themselves back, regardless of what the ballot says.
In Nigeria, it appears nothing can provoke the people into demanding accountability from political office holders. Things that would jolt a government in any other clime go unnoticed in the country. For instance, how does one explain the continued deterioration in the quality of infrastructure amidst an endless flow of money from the sale of crude oil? How can the decline in the quality of education and health care delivery be explained in view of the amount that accrues to the country from the crude oil sale? It is in this same country that a government came to office when the price of oil was $ 18 per barrel was able to pay off the country’s debt of over $ 30 billion and saved over $ 50 billion in foreign reserves and more than $ 20 billion in Excess Crude Account. But the country is now accumulating debts, even when the price of oil in the international market has remained largely above $ 100 pb in the past six years. Yet, Nigerians are not asking questions and are so enfeebled that their views, when expressed, don’t count.
A major factor has been the role of ethnicity and religion in the way people perceive issues in the country. Once a person offends the law and is about to be brought to justice, there will be shameless protests from his kith and kin, claiming victimization on account of the person’s ethnic origin. This blackmail has worked in many cases, including the corruption case of a former Delta State Governor, James Ibori, and it is currently being put to test in the ongoing bulletproof cars purchase scandal involving the Minister of Aviation, Stella Oduah.
Making democracy work, says the National Democratic Institute, a United States-based non-profit organization, requires informed and active citizens who understand how to voice their interests, act collectively and hold public officials accountable. Democracy’s credibility and sustainability depends, to an important degree, on how it works in practice, and on what it delivers. As Mbeki puts it, bad governments thrive in Nigeria, or elsewhere for that matter, because “the leadership does not feel pressure from the people.” It therefore follows that if Nigerians desire the dividends of democracy, they will have to fight for it. They must decide whether to continue with the way they are being governed or become active in demanding transparency and accountability from government.
Source: PUNCH
Nothing new, Mr. Mbeki. But just watch, depending on who takes offense you'll be accused of working with the rival political party. There will also be claims as to which Nigerian tribe you're 'Truly' from.

Don't worry, it's the Nigerian way.

1 Like

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Nobody: 8:10am On Nov 25, 2013
kingoflag: Thats the problem with you clowns like I said---- ure so deceitful and hate the truth u don't mind lying to outsiders,as well as urselves.

Tribalism? Because I spoke the truth? Are Igbos not vocally 100% behind this thieving govt? Were Northerners not behind Yar Adua? Ok, then. Is any Northerner crying over my truthful allegation? So, why do u choose to cry at the truth?

You ask about OBJs tenure. Well, pardna, I didn't give 2 fuxcks about Nigerian affairs back then,but from the little I've read his fellow Yorubas were his biggest antagonists while he garnered much of his support from the North and part of the East because he gave their "sons" and "daughters" juicy posts in his govt.

how convenient! i guess it can be said you have finally "seen the light".

2 Likes

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by remarkD(m): 8:10am On Nov 25, 2013
I was like "Huh?" when the writer was going on about Egypt and Tunisia, talkless of Libya..."if those countries' current state is what is wished upon Nigeria.... may it be upon the writer's family..." I said... and when I read up to the ramble about Oduah and the car nonsense... I knew for sure this write-up was crap and was not surprised at all to see it was oozing from that shit-hole called Punch.

They are still bleeding and frustrated that their media-campaign against Oduah came to zilch! lmao.. they can cry us river niger, who cares? Stella stays and they can goFuck themselves.

How can a human being be bitter that his lies were not bought by the public? na so oil dey confuse people so?
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by edoyad(m): 8:24am On Nov 25, 2013
See some referring to Nigerians as "they", okay, let them Nigerians continue in their ways .
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by simeonT: 8:35am On Nov 25, 2013
[quote author=kingoflag] Thats the problem with you clowns like I said---- ure so deceitful and hate the truth u don't mind lying to outsiders,as well as urselves.

Tribalism? Because I spoke the truth? Are Igbos not vocally 100% behind this thieving govt? Were Northerners not behind Yar Adua? Ok, then. Is any Northerner crying over my truthful allegation? So, why do u choose to cry at the truth?

You ask about OBJs tenure. Well, pardna, I didn't give 2 fuxcks about Nigerian affairs back then,but from the little I've read his fellow Yorubas were his biggest antagonists while he garnered much of his support from the North and part of the East because he gave their "sons" and "daughters" juicy posts in his govt. God bless u and ur generation, u've said it all.
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Nobody: 8:46am On Nov 25, 2013
bloggernaija:
I vehemently disagree, OBJ is not a saint he deserves to be shot
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Nobody: 9:33am On Nov 25, 2013
Aigbofa:

Not only Jonathan. The national assembly is a den of robbers, what they pay themselves for doing nothing is an insult to all Nigerians.

Most Nigerians don't understand our system of government. To them, government is simplified to mean "presidency". The president is not absolute. We need to take our lessons in socIal studIes and Nationalism more seriously so that we can improve on our citizenry.

1 Like

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by experimentist: 9:41am On Nov 25, 2013
It is in this same country that a government came to office when the price of oil was $ 18 per barrel was able to pay off the country’s debt of over $ 30 billion and saved over $ 50 billion in foreign reserves and more than $ 20 billion in Excess Crude Account. But the country is now accumulating debts, even when the price of oil in the international market has remained largely above $ 100 pb in the past six years.
So Amaechi is right after allundecided

1 Like

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Nobody: 9:50am On Nov 25, 2013
gramci:

them zip your mouth?

Lols...hypocrate.. U don want to say amen to d prayer, yet u defending Gej and pdp's action in nigeria
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by ITbomb(m): 9:53am On Nov 25, 2013
On the contrary , Nigerians are lion-hearted but as I always say, Corruption is not the problem of Nigeria, Tribalism has weakened the resolve of any Nigerian to stand up and fight and expose corruption and that is the fundamental problem.
No matter who is the President , as long as the structure of this country encourage tribalism , corruption will still thrive and there is nothing we can do about it sadly.

8 Likes

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by suwailad(f): 9:55am On Nov 25, 2013
Nigeria is doomed! i pray i get out of this zombie country before 2015!
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Nobody: 9:55am On Nov 25, 2013
Only if d boko haram's disregard for lives including theirs could be channelled into starting a revolution against d government instead of killing harmless n innocent victims angry
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by GeneralShepherd(m): 9:56am On Nov 25, 2013
Nigeria is a lost course!
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Symphony007: 9:57am On Nov 25, 2013
This fool is encouraging revolution but when the people of egypt and libya were fighting their dictators to gain freedom, he was busy negociating on behalf of the dictators. He should shut his mouth or better still restrict it to south africa were the ANC is as corrupt as PDP.

2 Likes

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by thewarrior72: 9:57am On Nov 25, 2013
Obiagelli: Mbeki sure knows nigeria expecially from his surulere years. 2015 goes wrong and I am done with Nigeria.
Bon voyage
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Leadn(m): 10:01am On Nov 25, 2013
jmaine:

Next time, be careful when you seek to make sweeping snide remarks cos it may involve you.

Be guided . . . . cool

smiley you're awesome sire
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by thewarrior72: 10:03am On Nov 25, 2013
kingoflag: Apart from the fact that Nigerians are docile, corrupt and scared of change, they are also pathetic liars and self-deciets--- they see nothing wrong in lying to themselves and others. Why do I say this? Pls, let's face the truth, truth is the Igbos are the main people encouraging the current corrupt government to do as it wishes. This is the bottom line. Yesterday, it was the North encouraging their sons to plunder the country as they wish, today it is the East. If Govt doesn't feel pressure from every angle of the country they will never do whats right.
U never fails to mention igbo in everything u say, this ur love for Igbos is too much........keep it up

1 Like

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Nobody: 10:04am On Nov 25, 2013
kingoflag: Apart from the fact that Nigerians are docile, corrupt and scared of change, they are also pathetic liars and self-deciets--- they see nothing wrong in lying to themselves and others. Why do I say this? Pls, let's face the truth, truth is the Igbos are the main people encouraging the current corrupt government to do as it wishes. This is the bottom line. Yesterday, it was the North encouraging their sons to plunder the country as they wish, today it is the East. If Govt doesn't feel pressure from every angle of the country they will never do whats right.

Bia which igbos? Is it the paid goons on this forum?

Mind yourself and stop committing stu.pid fallacy.
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by seedord247(m): 10:08am On Nov 25, 2013
Symphony007: This fool is encouraging revolution but when the people of egypt and libya were fighting their dictators to gain freedom, he was busy negociating on behalf of the dictators. He should shut his mouth or be still restrict it to south africa were the ANC is as corrupt as PDP.

Must you be this dumb??

cant you think with your brain for once??

ASUU has been on strike for almost 5 months...

24 hours electricity is still a myth in Africa most populous Nation..

bross nor lemme continue cuz i dey vex.

4 Likes

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by safarigirl(f): 10:09am On Nov 25, 2013
kingoflag: Thats the problem with you clowns like I said---- ure so deceitful and hate the truth u don't mind lying to outsiders,as well as urselves.

You ask about OBJs tenure. Well, pardna, I didn't give 2 fuxcks about Nigerian affairs back then,but from the little I've read his fellow Yorubas were his biggest antagonists while he garnered much of his support from the North and part of the East because he gave their "sons" and "daughters" juicy posts in his govt.
mods kindly ban this pathetic du.nce. I can't beleive like-minded bigots even endorsed such brazen stewpidity by 'liking' his post. Our biggest problem remains tribalism, things like corruption are just offsprings of tribalism. And eediots like this re.t.ar-d funny enough are people we have in power. Never accepting their own part in the decay of the country, but pointing fingers everywhere. Please were you also against FFK when he went about announcing his ignorance or did you clap for him like majority of your 'blameless' brothers? Our problem is bigger than GEJ

6 Likes

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by GeneralShepherd(m): 10:10am On Nov 25, 2013
ITbomb: On the contrary , Nigerians are lion-hearted but as I always say, Corruption is not the problem of Nigeria, Tribalism has weakened the resolve of any Nigerian to stand up and fight and expose corruption and that is the fundamental problem.
No matter who is the President , as long as the structure of this country encourage tribalism , corruption will still thrive and there is nothing we can do about it sadly.

You must be a professor! Only sensible post
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Nobody: 10:10am On Nov 25, 2013
Good morning all and pls sorry for derailing, i need information on commercial interlocking mopping/cleaning. Do PM me or respond here pls. Thanks!
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by safarigirl(f): 10:12am On Nov 25, 2013
GeneralShepherd: Nigeria is a lost course!
the word is 'CAUSE'...You're welcome
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Afritop(m): 10:17am On Nov 25, 2013
The kind of democratic rule we practice in this country is one of the reasons people are and want to run away from this country. Nigerians who have successfully flown abroad don't wanna come back. The painful thing here is that the govt are doing everything possible to prevent people from flying out of the country

1 Like

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by nerodenero: 10:18am On Nov 25, 2013
I feel seriously aggrieved reading careful through the submission. This is just our problem and it is so-so true. As usual, we would all come, read through, abuse each other on religious/ethnic terms and waka pass. So many articles have been released like this in the time past and we just read as usual. Wish I could enforce the needed change so that we can enjoy what the land has to offer which I believe it is more fertile than so many developed countries. I just wonder for how long we have to wait before the "needful is done".
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Symphony007: 10:19am On Nov 25, 2013
seedord247:

Must you be this dumb??

cant you think with your brain for once??

ASUU has been on strike for almost 5 months...

24 hours electricity is still a myth in Africa most populous Nation..

bross nor lemme continue cuz i dey vex.
you can continue cause your comments and barage of name calling shows your IQ level. Nigeria has problems so does south africa. I'm a major critic of nigeria's problems but i don't need mbeki to lecturer my country on development. He should keep it to himself. What moral high ground does he have to make such comments? And what has the comments achieved? Has what he said made anything better?

2 Likes

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by chinedum13(m): 10:23am On Nov 25, 2013
jmaine:

So when are you going to take the bull by the horn and lead a revolutionary protest.

If you shy away, then consider yourself one of those foolish ones . . . . .
. well said brother. cheesy
jmaine:

So when are you going to take the bull by the horn and lead a revolutionary protest.

If you shy away, then consider yourself one of those foolish ones . . . . .
. well said brother.
Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by davidsimon: 10:24am On Nov 25, 2013
A people deserve the kind of leaders they get. Nigerian political leaders did not fall from the sky, the are definitely not aliens, the are fellow Nigerians who had and opportunity and exploited the way 90% of ordinary masses would have done if giving the same opportunity. It is a country in crisis cause by the greed of the citizenry not just the leaders. May God save Nigeria, may God bless Naija.

6 Likes

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by Symphony007: 10:25am On Nov 25, 2013
Why does'nt he advice his buddy? Jacob zuma to stop lavishing s.a money on his four wives and 20 kids? Why has'nt he called out julius malema for all the ill gotten wealth he has enmassed as ANC party youth leader. Why has'nt he penned articles about his fellow ANC leaders who continue to steal public money, and they will continue winning elections by hiding behind the stardom of nelson mandela. Rubbish!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians by ilaugh1: 10:25am On Nov 25, 2013

See thıs kıng of lıes callıng people lıars?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Emab shopping plaza Bombing: Dead Suspect Was Conveying More Explosives / Age Cheat: Sack Ayade As Governor - PDP To Supreme Court / Roli Bode-George Is Acting Chairman Of NDLEA- The Vanguard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.