Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,202 members, 7,829,301 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:04 AM

Growing Up As A Mixed Race Child In Nigeria - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Growing Up As A Mixed Race Child In Nigeria (1964 Views)

When Does A joystick Really Stop Growing / Why Do Nigerian Women Hate Mixed-race/asian Women Who Marry Nigerian Men? / Mixed Race Couples Are So Damn Beautiful (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Growing Up As A Mixed Race Child In Nigeria by yourstrulyblog(f): 9:44pm On Nov 26, 2013
Yours Truly was born and raised in Anambra state, Nigeria, and growing up as a mixed race child in Nigeria was a very terrible experience for me because I always stuck out like a sore thumb. Even thinking about it now is deeply disturbing.

They say children are so innocent. Well, maybe some children ooooo, but, the ones I grew up with were far from innocent (there were a few good ones though). They would call me names such as albino, paw paw, utu mmanu bazaar, olu ndi ocha, okuko ocha, udala, tin tomato...... all of which I found annoying. They would pull my hair and scratch me because they derived pleasure from seeing me turn red when they scratched me. I would cry myself to sleep wishing I were dark. Sometimes after school, I would sit under the sun so I could tan while waiting for my parents to pick me up. It became my ritual. My mum was so heart-broken, and no matter how much she encouraged me, I still felt down. Mum would say to me, ‘Yours Truly, you don’t know how lucky you are’ ‘You don’t know how many girls are bleaching just to have your complexion’ To survive those bullies, you have to be thick-skinned. Indeed, she was my guardian angel.

Luckily for me, my older brother and I went to the same school. He was very protective of me. Woe betide any bully that came near me when he was around. Brother was my other guardian angel. But, the bullying didn’t stop completely because he wasn’t there 24/7 L

Some years later, we all moved to England. Before then, I was hoping and praying that the bullying would stop. But, unfortunately, I stuck out like a sore thumb in England even more. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t fit in. When I was with my black friends, I was noticeably different – same as when I was with my oyibo friends. My friend Ama (who is very dark and beautiful) couldn’t understand why I made a mountain out of a mole hill. She would say ‘it’s amazing how little things bother some people so much’ ‘you should be lucky you are fair because I would do anything to be like you’ ‘you should thank God you don’t have to bleach and the boys especially the African ones like fair people like you’ Was I really making a mountain out of a mole hill? While my ‘problem’ seemed little to other people, it was a very ‘big problem! What might seem like a headache to other people might be giving you a migraine.

Though, I’ve learned to love my skin, I still have those days I wish I were dark.

Are you experiencing something similar or know someone? Please share your story.

Yours Truly

http://yourstrulyblogposts..co.uk/2013/09/growing-up-as-mixed-race-child-in.html
Re: Growing Up As A Mixed Race Child In Nigeria by CyrusLevi(m): 12:23am On Nov 27, 2013
What century did all that happen?those who tormented you for being differrent live in extreme backwardnessundecided

3 Likes

Re: Growing Up As A Mixed Race Child In Nigeria by oyinbogirl(f): 7:21am On Nov 27, 2013
Kids can be cruel. But funny, I always heard it was the opposite, african love mixed ppl, then again this may have happened a long time ago
Re: Growing Up As A Mixed Race Child In Nigeria by Thavik(m): 2:24am On Nov 29, 2013
first of all, how the fU;ck is this romantic,

second...which backward place did you grow up for them to be beating you up like that...

third...oya sorry naa, shey you don grow up, if you are attractive, then all should be fine...

fourth .. i bet you now realize that you should get enough money to send your children away from savages if you happen to give them your genes

Fifth...what the fu..cck is this doing in romantic thread
-

(1) (Reply)

Is It A Must I Cook All The Time For My Ever Present Brother In Law / How Does One Manage A Verbally Abusive Wife / Why Do Men Bash Women That Talk About Sex?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.