Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,052 members, 7,821,626 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans (27039 Views)

See Ntel Data Plans: Bundle Sizes, Prices And Supported Devices / Cheapest Data Plans For Android, IOS And PC Users In April 2016 / Etisalat BIS Is Now 1500 And 1000 Monthly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Dermie: 10:19am On Dec 08, 2013
You can't be serious.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by 2sureguy1(m): 10:19am On Dec 08, 2013
Stil chillin wif my 5g
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Carsonv(m): 10:20am On Dec 08, 2013
I was hoping someone who understands the concept of bandwidth would have commented by now.

Bandwidth is the amount of data or capacity of data your network can carry within a timeframe.

If MTN has a total bandwidth of say 400MB/s that means every second the total of data that passes through is 400MB.

If a BB phone compresses its data by 50% that means BB uses 200MB/s to transfer a 400MB data. This is against an Android or iPhone that'll use the whole bandwidth to send same data.

So you see, the logic makes sense. One android may be using same bandwidth as 20 BlackBerry phones.

9 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Nobody: 10:20am On Dec 08, 2013
Even though I agree with many of you, does/has anybody here ever thought about the fact that MAST of network providers are powered by Diesel?

In a country where there is erratic power supply, contrary to what is obtainable in saner climes, what do you expect? We have to be rational in our clamor to get cheaper service.

Tell your government to provide constant power supply and all other things will fall into place. Imagine you own these companies, think about staff that will be paid, equipment maintenance et al. These things cost money.

They are trying and just try to put yourself in their shoes and see things from that perspective.

No need for eccentric and bias opinions.
-- My take.
cool

5 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by OmichaelO: 10:20am On Dec 08, 2013
but i clicked on this thread,i knew the excuse would be the data compression b.s
biko give us the same thing we are tired of expensive data plans

1 Like

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by omoelu1(m): 10:21am On Dec 08, 2013
i don't know how transferring data through wire cables will be cheaper than doing so wirelessly .
*someone should please tell me what i don't know*
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Chregor(m): 10:22am On Dec 08, 2013
Yes
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Nobody: 10:22am On Dec 08, 2013
NCC are fools for this kinda reply, whether android compresses my data, it doesn't concern you. Just gimmie 3gb for 1k, how I use it, no be ur concern.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Nobody: 10:24am On Dec 08, 2013
I just read a bit on BB data compression

And found out that, legacy bb7 devices compressed just email, browsing and Facebook with Twitter, everything else is not compressed

So while using opera mini, or uc browser, it's not compressed, also all downloads are not compressed

Also streaming isn't compressed. I keep wondering why folks talk about compression that's why data is cheap on BB, it's not true.

We spend more time downloading and streaming, that's why BlackBerry stopped compression on bb 10 and took them of their servers from the launch.

"Personal data is no longer compressed because the
majority of personal data is no longer compressible:
Media streaming (Video, Flash, Embedded)
Media downloads (Movies, TV Shows, Video, Music)
Video conferencing
Applications and games" that quote is an excerpt from an article

http://www.berryreview.com/2011/01/19/do-you-know-your-blackberry-has-datasmart-technology/

why is BB data cheap? you may ask.

Because they run over dedicated servers run by BlackBerry itself, and BlackBerry buys these data access in bulk....so economics of scale kicks in

That's what makes it cheap, but note that all BB 10 plans are expensive cuz they run over servers owned by respective providers, mtn, airtel, etc

Look at BB user regular pattern, he uses more data for downloads and streaming than emailing and facebooking

Now I understand the whole BB 7 data compression thingy better.

http://n4bb.com/blackberry-10-longer-compresses-personal-data/

based on all these, it's clear that amount of data used on bb7 devices, and other platforms are the very close, the difference is only experienced while using social networks. the real cheapness of BB data is that BlackBerry firm buys their data in bulk.

it's like how it's cheaper to buy 10gb on any network at once and share over WiFi to 10 people than buying 10plans of 1gb for each of those 10 people.

5 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Carsonv(m): 10:24am On Dec 08, 2013
eliment: this is a very wrong logic, either RIM compresses for bb and Android doesn't does not matter one bit. what we are saying is give both same amount of data for same amount of money so that usage will be at their own detriment simple or is RIM paying for data service for bb owners

In reality, what you should be paying for is bandwidth not data size. But since they can't apportion bandwidth ATM, they have to spread the cost since everyone has access to all the babdwidth.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Nobody: 10:26am On Dec 08, 2013
What's this one saying? BB mast is differnt from android mast? Or Diesel for blackberry mast is cheaper than diesel for android mast?

2s£xy:
Even though I agree with many of you, does/has anybody here ever thought about the fact that MAST of network providers are powered by Diesel?

In a country where there is erratic power supply, contrary to what is obtainable in saner climes, what do you expect? We have to be rational in our clamor to get cheaper service.

Tell your government to provide constant power supply and all other things will fall into place. Imagine you own these companies, think about staff that will be paid, equipment maintenance et al. These things cost money.

They are trying and just try to put yourself in their shoes and see things from that perspective.

-- My take.
cool

14 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by econity(m): 10:28am On Dec 08, 2013
eliment: this is a very wrong logic, either RIM compresses for bb and Android doesn't does not matter one bit. what we are saying is give both same amount of data for same amount of money so that usage will be at their own detriment simple or is RIM paying for data service for bb owners
my dear, help me ask them o.
They are really taking us for fools which to me they are.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Ichel: 10:28am On Dec 08, 2013
@Op, wetin u dey speak na grammer, phone na phone, browsing na browsing. Mk dem mk d tin dey equal. Wat is gud 4 d goat is also gud 4 d donkey.
PS: all d ITK folks mk una no quote me oo.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by puskin: 10:32am On Dec 08, 2013
Everybody don turn to data consultant nah.........mscheeeeeew!!

2 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Nobody: 10:33am On Dec 08, 2013
beckyomas: I hope those naive guys breaking their sim and insulting airtel would see this. Simple logic.
the funniest part is,airtel did not ban non bb users from using their bis.yea u heard me right...i took the risk and subscribed to their bis day before yesterday...i was surprised I am still using it to browse...

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Nobody: 10:34am On Dec 08, 2013
2s£xy:

-- My take.
cool

lot of folks complain about cost of running mast etc, in 2010 some industry experts came from Malaysia for some analysis on our terrain and they concluded that inclusive of operating costs network providers can reduce the cost of data by half.

you may not believe that, but let's say this

has MTN, GLO, AIRTEL OR ETISALAT, ever declared a year of loss, or stagnation, or no growth in revenue.

MTN declared profits in billions just last year, and mtn Nigeria contributes over 50% of the income generated by the mtn group, so if truly cost of diesel supply to mast is that high and truly not feasible, you would expect their books to indicate so, but no it doesn't.

south Africa has constant power supply to their mast, and yet the average income made by Mtn per subscriber there is far less than in Nigeria.

You can do your research well and contradict anything I have written.

5 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Lexo22(m): 10:36am On Dec 08, 2013
Atire oh, this logic is baseless & senseless. Give BB and android users 1G each hw they utilize it shouldn't be a source of headache to anyone chikina!

1 Like

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by albiol: 10:37am On Dec 08, 2013
lolade123: As for me, I think Google or the proprietors of Android are to take the blame.Google has all the resource in this world to create an Android Insternet Subscription just like the BIS.Why make a good device with a bad internet subscription plan.It like making a car with a bad fuel economy.

Also blame google if u dont have light in ur house
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by econity(m): 10:38am On Dec 08, 2013
Carsonv: I was hoping someone who understands the concept of bandwidth would have commented by now.

Bandwidth is the amount of data or capacity of data your network can carry within a timeframe.

If MTN has a total bandwidth of say 400MB/s that means every second the total of data that passes through is 400MB.

If a BB phone compresses its data by 50% that means BB uses 200MB/s to transfer a 400MB data. This is against an Android or iPhone that'll use the whole bandwidth to send same data.

So you see, the logic makes sense. One android may be using same bandwidth as 20 BlackBerry phones.
the problem now is that you don't even understand yourself talkless of understanding the gist. how 'll you say 50% and you're still talking of 20:1 ratio oh that use by BB and Android.

1 Like

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Carsonv(m): 10:38am On Dec 08, 2013
omoelu1: i don't know how transferring data through wire cables will be cheaper than doing so wirelessly .
*someone should please tell me what i don't know*

Wired networks have more bandwidth! Your simple LAN has 100MB/s while wireless lan has about 54MB/s

1 Like

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by nanizle(m): 10:39am On Dec 08, 2013
ify84: DATA CONSUMPTION ON
ANDROID AND BLACKBERRY PHONES

On an Android phone, the request to open a webpage by telephone subscribers is sent to the gateway of the network operator which then processes the information and sends back the page to the Android phone as a download (the data is not compressed - thereby requiring more bandwidth).

The amount of bandwidth uploaded is identical between both Blackberry and Android phones, the difference lies in the fact that most of what
subscribers do on their phones is to download content which varies on both. BlackBerry is indirectly subsidizing bandwidth by compressing the content downloaded by subscribers.

This is what I call NCC Juju Logic. Blackberry users pay N1000 for 3gb... meaning that they can download and upload 3gb of data, compression or no compression!

If I were to explain why BIS is cheaper, I'd say that a typical blackberry user hardly uses up his/her data allowance. I mean... most of these girls and guys that carry Blackberrys about hardly do any "heavy downloading". We all know pinging does not use that much data so I'm speculating that Blackberry users use significantly less than the data allowance they paid for.

Now talk about Android and iOS...
Instagram, twitter's vine, snapchat, dropbox and thousands of other apps available for free makes Android and iOS devices data hoggers. In contrast to Blackberry users, Android and iOS users are more likely to exhaust their data allowance meaning that gsm networks cannot give us awoof of N1000 for 3gb... I believe it is not feasible. These devices will put a huge pressure on the network providers bandwidth.

Lets remember that the market is a very competitive one... gsm networks will always reduce internet costs when possible so as to have a competitive advantage (compare call rates now to what they were last year). Right now, good, fast and reliable internet in Nigeria is quite expensive.

6 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by albiol: 10:39am On Dec 08, 2013
kevoh: Data plan starting from #1000 for 10 gig across all telecomms network platform is what we are asking for NCC. Forget all these compression story.

Makes no sense to me, data is transferred wirelessly around the world why is ours different and that expensive.
broadband is cheaper
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by sultanemerald(m): 10:40am On Dec 08, 2013
lolade123: As for me, I think Google or the proprietors of Android are to take the blame.Google has all the resource in this world to create an Android Insternet Subscription just like the BIS.Why make a good device with a bad internet subscription plan.It like making a car with a bad fuel economy.

just read this and know if you made any sense at all.

if you don't understand how something work don't engage in the discussion. Just read and learn.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Nobody: 10:42am On Dec 08, 2013
So NCC is actually this DUMB?
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by kingsilly(m): 10:42am On Dec 08, 2013
Dont worry my opera also compress data on ma iphone...mshewwww

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by baggylips(m): 10:44am On Dec 08, 2013
Go n get a blackberry and stop all these noises tongue.Team blackberry cool

3 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by CHIMCO(m): 10:48am On Dec 08, 2013
DankemzI: “blood would flow on the streets of Nigeria should President Jonathan insist on running for the Presidency in 2015.”
If he decide to run notting will happen. Meanwhile, it your own blood that will flow the streets of Nigeria if he contest.

1 Like

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by ignis: 10:49am On Dec 08, 2013
ichidodo: What does the O.p take us for?! Kids?!?! Leave the bandwidth open for both parties, whoever drains his own quicker its his own palaver.This 'compression' logic is a bag of donkeys
My exact thought.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by 9jii(m): 10:51am On Dec 08, 2013
THIS IS NOT A REAL REASON TRY AGAIN NEXT TIME.
THANK YOU.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by jhydebaba(m): 10:53am On Dec 08, 2013
Android's data sucks while BB Rocks cheesy

Anoda reason for android users to cry like babies tongue

3 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by nanizle(m): 10:59am On Dec 08, 2013
jhydebaba: Android's data sucks while BB Rocks cheesy

Anoda reason for android users to cry like babies tongue

Make u dey console urself.
You fit play temple run for ur bb?
FYI... I dey ping for my android.

8 Likes

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by delikay4luv: 10:59am On Dec 08, 2013
give us thesame 3gb for 1k and leave us alone

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Iphone 13 Space Satellite Features / Is The 'Laplet' Gradually Replacing The Tablet? / HTC Sensation Discussion Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.