Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,278 members, 7,818,936 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:38 AM

Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans - Phones (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans (27036 Views)

See Ntel Data Plans: Bundle Sizes, Prices And Supported Devices / Cheapest Data Plans For Android, IOS And PC Users In April 2016 / Etisalat BIS Is Now 1500 And 1000 Monthly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by chegx(m): 9:51pm On Dec 08, 2013
codernoni :
Story.. Nokia consumes less data than backberry without any compression. If u doubte, use etisalat 15mb on nokia s40 fone den use d same on ur blackberry then come bak hia and like dis post!
we dont need to confirm before liking your post, you sure are on point. 100 likes for you.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by youngpee(m): 9:55pm On Dec 08, 2013
loswhite: glo Ghana gives 1.2g 4 15cedi which is equivalent to 1050 naira 4 both android and iOS.compare that to 1000naira 4 200mb.IMO they can do better cos the main difference is Ghana have steady power unlike Nigeria. Respect ppl's choice if they choose to break their sim afterall they bought it themselves
...truth told
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by youngpee(m): 10:00pm On Dec 08, 2013
loswhite: glo Ghana gives 1.2g 4 15cedi which is equivalent to 1050 naira 4 both android and iOS.compare that to 1000naira 4 200mb.IMO they can do better cos the main difference is Ghana have steady power unlike Nigeria. Respect ppl's choice if they choose to break their sim afterall they bought it themselves
...truth told[s]
...truth told[/s]
...truth told fact stated
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by To5man(m): 10:37pm On Dec 08, 2013
I'm phobiaplaystore: The fear to open playstore.
u know what I mean #team_android
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by chenu(m): 10:59pm On Dec 08, 2013
Carsonv: I was hoping someone who understands the concept of bandwidth would have commented by now.

Bandwidth is the amount of data or capacity of data your network can carry within a timeframe.

If MTN has a total bandwidth of say 400MB/s that means every second the total of data that passes through is 400MB.

If a BB phone compresses its data by 50% that means BB uses 200MB/s to transfer a 400MB data. This is against an Android or iPhone that'll use the whole bandwidth to send same data.

So you see, the logic makes sense. One android may be using same bandwidth as 20 BlackBerry phones.
if i have 3g on my android n 3g blackberry are sayin dey not the same?
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by LausDeo(m): 11:01pm On Dec 08, 2013
Why can't they allocate the same amount of data and let our 'uncompressed' android device consume the data faster than bb. This is no excuse. If bb users can get 3gig for 1000-1500, why can't other subscribers get the same. The only excuse that I can accept is that RIM is subsidising the data for their customers and I know that is not happening
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by kolidave: 11:05pm On Dec 08, 2013
To5man: I'm phobiaplaystore: The fear to open playstore.
u know what I mean #team_android
lol nice one . No be only play store ooo. That instagram own na die!!!! 1 page of peoples update takes like 100bucks to load on instagram

1 Like

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by To5man(m): 11:15pm On Dec 08, 2013
kolidave: lol nice one . No be only play store ooo. That instagram own na die!!!! 1 page of peoples update takes like 100bucks to load on instagram

intagram still better. make ur hand just mistake click that playstore. Omo na there u go take know say wahala dey. I vex disable the app ni
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by LausDeo(m): 11:15pm On Dec 08, 2013
pesty100: are this people trying ro say if i subscribe to a normak data bundle and put my sim on my blackberry the blackberry server will compress my downloads from fztvseries and make me download like 2gb movie with 260mb
i tire for dem o
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by doingreat(m): 11:15pm On Dec 08, 2013
econity: this logic is faulty to the core, allocating 3g to BlackBerry for 1k5 is still thesame as allocating 3g to android if both of them are capable of exhausting it at the end of the month, if RIM is compressing data usage and a blackberry user decide to open a supposed 100kb page which means it'll be compressed by RIM to 25kb, and you open such page 4 times and an android user opens it once, is it not thesame data consumption.
to me, this is baseless. let allocate thesame data to both, leave it to android to drain its own faster while RIM compress its own for BB users.
guy i love your logic, exactly whar i thought. IF YOU GIVE BB USERS 3GIG DATA FOR 1K GIVE ANDRIOD USERS JUST THE SAME AND LET IT BURN AS FAST AS THE USER DECIDES. shikena.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by LausDeo(m): 11:26pm On Dec 08, 2013
2s£xy:
Even though I agree with many of you, does/has anybody here ever thought about the fact that MAST of network providers are powered by Diesel?

In a country where there is erratic power supply, contrary to what is obtainable in saner climes, what do you expect? We have to be rational in our clamor to get cheaper service.

Tell your government to provide constant power supply and all other things will fall into place. Imagine you own these companies, think about staff that will be paid, equipment maintenance et al. These things cost money.

They are trying and just try to put yourself in their shoes and see things from that perspective.

No need for eccentric and bias opinions.
-- My take.
cool
this is the most stupid argument on this tread. You mean to say only android users make use of d masts and other equipments?
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by doingreat(m): 12:38am On Dec 09, 2013
eseosa77: You people should stop nagging and complaining like toddlers.Is it by force to use android phones?,if u know you are nt comfortable with the data plan for android go nd die or drop it nd stop distubbin or go get urself a blackberry phone with a more comfortable data,period.
NA YOUR PAPA BE TODDLER
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by ncpat(m): 2:01am On Dec 09, 2013
ify84: DATA CONSUMPTION ON
ANDROID AND BLACKBERRY PHONES

The NCC as a regulator is responsible for
promotion of fair competition in the
communications industry and protection of
communications services and facilities providers from misuse of market power or anti-competitive and unfair practices by other service or facilities providers or equipment suppliers.

The issue of data usage on Blackberry and
Android smart phones has been generating a
lot of comments lately and the Commission has
a duty to protect and inform all stakeholders in
the industry on all issues of concern.

RIM, the manufacturer of BlackBerry, utilizes a
special compression algorithm to serve users of
Blackberry handsets who have subscribed for
Blackberry internet service. Whenever such a
subscriber browses the internet and opens a
webpage, a request is sent via the handset's
browser requesting for the page to be
downloaded to the phone. This request is
channeled to RIM’s gateway in Canada, which
fetches the webpage, compresses it and sends
the compressed data back to the BlackBerry
phone as a download.

On an Android phone, the request to open a
webpage by telephone subscribers is sent to the gateway of the network operator which then
processes the information and sends back the
page to the Android phone as a download (the
data is not compressed - thereby requiring more bandwidth).

The amount of bandwidth uploaded is identical
between both Blackberry and Android phones,
the difference lies in the fact that most of what
subscribers do on their phones is to download
content which varies on both. BlackBerry is
indirectly subsidizing bandwidth by compressing the content downloaded by subscribers.

In effect, an internet subscriber using an
Android smartphone to open a webpage may be downloading 100KB of data, while a subscriber using a Blackberry opening the very same webpage would be downloading 25KB due to the compression of data by RIM.

Bandwidth in Nigeria is an expensive resource,
because most data is transferred wirelessly. This
is the reason why the NCC is promoting wired
infrastructure around the country through such
projects as WIN (Wire Nigeria) as well promoting
a Broadband Roadmap for the country which
will greatly reduce the cost of bandwidth
thereby reducing the cost of browsing the
internet on smartphones.

d above was NCC response to my query on why can't network providers make other data cheap instead of on blackberry............

My friend I honestly don`t know where you got this crap and if this is really from NCC the Idiot should resign immediately as the reason does not correlate with the topic at hand.

The reason why BIS is cheaper is as simple as ABC, it is a marketing strategy to make you pay the price range of N1,000 to N3,000 depending on the network and browse only 200MB or less instead of the 1gb to 6gb as promised, the network providers knows that with BB you can`t even use up 300MB a month therefore making you pay N1,000 for 200MB.

In as much as the BB plan has a cap, why would you instruct me what device to use? etisalat N1,000 = 3gb then allow me use any device and let it finish, what is your business? the service providers came out with BIS plan, so are they not expecting more subscriber to their BIS PLAN? now that you have more customer and each an every customer using their data cap, so what is the problem.

The problem is that the network provider did not even intend to make the BB user to finish the data size that is why most provided will tell you that BIS is unlimited.

take a look a normal data plan is N1,000 for 200mb so if BB is not consuming they are suppose to N500 for 200mb on BB but instead they want BB user to pay N1,000 and use the same 200mb for normal plans but all their plans backfire because Nigeria is the largest market in the whole world. I think even airtel tried it around 2006 when airtel was Vodocom or what again when they sold bumber card for N9,000 and you can make call for N5 to any network and as at then, network providers inter pay each other N12 for connectivity so the aim was that every 1 minute call u pay a rent of N7 meaning 9000/7= 1,286 minutes or 21 hours a month but trust naija, call center started using it and was making call at N10 per minute and average person making calls then will make a 5 minute calls and under 5 days they have exhausted the 21 hours meaning any extra calls from that bumber line vodocom will pay N12 against the N7 budgeted that was how vodocom pack go.

Don`t joke with Naija thinking you will cheat them because that was their aim when they came out with BIS.

1 Like

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by DanWrites(m): 8:18am On Dec 09, 2013
ncpat:

My friend I honestly don`t know where you got this crap and if this is really from NCC the Idiot should resign immediately as the reason does not correlate with the topic at hand.

The reason why BIS is cheaper is as simple as ABC, it is a marketing strategy to make you pay the price range of N1,000 to N3,000 depending on the network and browse only 200MB or less instead of the 1gb to 6gb as promised, the network providers knows that with BB you can`t even use up 300MB a month therefore making you pay N1,000 for 200MB.

In as much as the BB plan has a cap, why would you instruct me what device to use? etisalat N1,000 = 3gb then allow me use any device and let it finish, what is your business? the service providers came out with BIS plan, so are they not expecting more subscriber to their BIS PLAN? now that you have more customer and each an every customer using their data cap, so what is the problem.

The problem is that the network provider did not even intend to make the BB user to finish the data size that is why most provided will tell you that BIS is unlimited.

take a look a normal data plan is N1,000 for 200mb so if BB is not consuming they are suppose to N500 for 200mb on BB but instead they want BB user to pay N1,000 and use the same 200mb for normal plans but all their plans backfire because Nigeria is the largest market in the whole world. I think even airtel tried it around 2006 when airtel was Vodocom or what again when they sold bumber card for N9,000 and you can make call for N5 to any network and as at then, network providers inter pay each other N12 for connectivity so the aim was that every 1 minute call u pay a rent of N7 meaning 9000/7= 1,286 minutes or 21 hours a month but trust naija, call center started using it and was making call at N10 per minute and average person making calls then will make a 5 minute calls and under 5 days they have exhausted the 21 hours meaning any extra calls from that bumber line vodocom will pay N12 against the N7 budgeted that was how vodocom pack go.

Don`t joke with Naija thinking you will cheat them because that was their aim when they came out with BIS.

so not on point...BIS was not invented by network providers. Both BIS and BES had always been RIM's Internet service signature. No fact can deny those guys are not doing something from Canada.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by tete7000(m): 8:57am On Dec 09, 2013
phoinix:

How is this logic simple, assuming I subscribe to Bb 3gig plan does it mean that 3gig equates to less data on bb and more on android?
Probably most bb users don't finish their data before expiry date
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by exago(m): 9:31am On Dec 09, 2013
lolade123: As for me, I think Google or the proprietors of Android are to take the blame.Google has all the resource in this world to create an Android Insternet Subscription just like the BIS.Why make a good device with a bad internet subscription plan.It like making a car with a bad fuel economy.

It like making a car with a bad fuel economy.....True, Data consumption is an issue with android, I had to explain to someone who bought an android phone for his kid and was wondering how the chap used up the data in no time smiley
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by jossypajay: 12:36pm On Dec 09, 2013
The network providers are ripping nigerians
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by JimmyBoy1: 7:51pm On Dec 09, 2013
Lies all the way, we all remember when the GSM operators were slitting our throats with per minute billing, and they told us per second billing was impossible. But when Glo came into the scene with Per Second Billing, the existing operators miraculously migtrated to PSB immediately.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by biopat(m): 11:22pm On Dec 09, 2013
econity: this logic is faulty to the core, allocating 3g to BlackBerry for 1k5 is still thesame as allocating 3g to android if both of them are capable of exhausting it at the end of the month, if RIM is compressing data usage and a blackberry user decide to open a supposed 100kb page which means it'll be compressed by RIM to 25kb, and you open such page 4 times and an android user opens it once, is it not thesame data consumption.
to me, this is baseless. let allocate thesame data to both, leave it to android to drain its own faster while RIM compress its own for BB users.

U speak my mind, Brother!
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by biopat(m): 11:39pm On Dec 09, 2013
An android device consumes more data than a bb device when surfing d net, granted. Is dat a yardstick to give an android user 200mb for 1k while u give 3gb for 1k to a bb user?
Even with d claim of Android devices draining data, we all know dat it is much more cheaper to browse with Airtel BIS n any network's BIS (if they will allow it) on android devices.

My say!
Give both d same data size for 1k n allow both to manage it the way they like. And spare us this "compressor" sermon.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by makizee(m): 12:22am On Dec 10, 2013
It is safe to say d op has entered one chance...Nigerians can see behind d illumi - logic dt really makes no sense.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by ikkings(m): 1:14am On Dec 10, 2013
eseosa77: You people should stop nagging and complaining like toddlers.Is it by force to use android phones?,if u know you are nt comfortable with the data plan for android go nd die or drop it nd stop distubbin or go get urself a blackberry phone with a more comfortable data,period.
O boy, you well at all?
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by olaniyanibukun0: 8:13am On Dec 10, 2013
beckyomas: I hope those naive guys breaking their sim and insulting airtel would see this. Simple logic.

Mshweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

The end is near

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

New MTN Recharge Code That Works Now *3551*pin-number# And Send / Iphone 13 Space Satellite Features / HTC Sensation Discussion Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.