Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,267 members, 7,818,924 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans (27035 Views)

See Ntel Data Plans: Bundle Sizes, Prices And Supported Devices / Cheapest Data Plans For Android, IOS And PC Users In April 2016 / Etisalat BIS Is Now 1500 And 1000 Monthly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by destino24(m): 12:39pm On Dec 08, 2013
I think the main reason for this is, bb phones have a dedicated server that processes all their internet data. ISPs don't have to worry about traffic and bandwidth through their servers.

I'm not such a geek, but i know more processes on any computer equals less processing speed.

So giving bb users more data does not slow down their (ISPs) servers cos blackberry.net takes care of that issue.

Put simply, if bb users didn't have blackberry.net, then there would be more traffic on the ISPs' server which equals less bandwidth (processing speed) which equals a slow internet connection.
Airtel users can understand this better

1 Like

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by ikkings(m): 12:48pm On Dec 08, 2013
ayusco85: Sell ur android fones and buy a blackberry.
Super eagles and lazio midfielder Ogenyi Onazi, said so tongue
Its in Nigeria we take bb to be something, for ur information, RIM made a net loss of $964 million. thats close to a billion, they are going down and are desperate, they are probably bribing NCC, you know ur country is very corrupt.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Nobody: 12:48pm On Dec 08, 2013
u2 1 day:

lot of folks complain about cost of running mast etc, in 2010 some industry experts came from Malaysia for some analysis on our terrain and they concluded that inclusive of operating costs network providers can reduce the cost of data by half.

you may not believe that, but let's say this

has MTN, GLO, AIRTEL OR ETISALAT, ever declared a year of loss, or stagnation, or no growth in revenue.

MTN declared profits in billions just last year, and mtn Nigeria contributes over 50% of the income generated by the mtn group, so if truly cost of diesel supply to mast is that high and truly not feasible, you would expect their books to indicate so, but no it doesn't.

south Africa has constant power supply to their mast, and yet the average income made by Mtn per subscriber there is far less than in Nigeria.

You can do your research well and contradict anything I have written.
well, I respect the way you have handle your response. It shows a mark o maturity. Unlike the baboon before you who quoted me.

Thanks. cool

1 Like

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by ify84(m): 12:56pm On Dec 08, 2013
babarazy:

Show us the copy of the NCC response sent to you cos I believe you copy and paste this post.

this d address.... and others can comment with their fine logic.... I support the idea dat we shd be given same data with bb.... how we consume it is not their bussiness..

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=549226941825222&id=161066787307908&p=10&refid=52
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by pesty100(m): 12:59pm On Dec 08, 2013
are this people trying ro say if i subscribe to a normak data bundle and put my sim on my blackberry the blackberry server will compress my downloads from fztvseries and make me download like 2gb movie with 260mb

1 Like

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Nobody: 1:02pm On Dec 08, 2013
2s£xy:
well, I respect the way you have handle your response. It shows a mark o maturity. Unlike the baboon before you who quoted me.

Thanks. cool

Ok, thank you.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by effex(m): 1:08pm On Dec 08, 2013
All this one na still story... years ago, MTN almost swore on thier mothers graves that per-second billin could never happen. They enjoyed control that way for a while until Glo came and initiated per-second billing ImmeImmediately. Data tariffs will still go down.... until then, ppl in naija will continue to come up cheats to break d system.
And this does not still make blackberry a better fone, neither will it bring d company back from d grave .
Poverty is the main reason bb sold in Nigeria. Can u market "unlimited data" in civilized countries? NO!
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by sammoe(m): 1:12pm On Dec 08, 2013
econity: this logic is faulty to the core, allocating 3g to BlackBerry for 1k5 is still thesame as allocating 3g to android if both of them are capable of exhausting it at the end of the month, if RIM is compressing data usage and a blackberry user decide to open a supposed 100kb page which means it'll be compressed by RIM to 25kb, and you open such page 4 times and an android user opens it once, is it not thesame data consumption.
to me, this is baseless. let allocate thesame data to both, leave it to android to drain its own faster while RIM compress its own for BB users.
See how this guy just talk my mind.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by ify84(m): 1:13pm On Dec 08, 2013
Jhulyan: and if he did nko?... The message has been passed. Take it or leave it

I have shown him d link.... no mind d guy... make he see d link make I hear wetin he go talk again.... for his mind NCC cannot reply us.... when de exist (receving salary) because of us...
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Twinflakez(m): 1:15pm On Dec 08, 2013
phoinix:

How is this logic simple, assuming I subscribe to Bb 3gig plan does it mean that 3gig equates to less data on bb and more on android?

Pls help me ask them! What is the logic in that? The cost of data going by this argument should be same on all phones. They should leave the usage (consumption) at the subscriber's descretion.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Aphrodite4(f): 1:18pm On Dec 08, 2013
Compressing data?! You know who else compresses Web page data? Opera Mini, Opera 4 desktop.. Browsers do so, some more than others Opera does a better job.. BlackBerry / RIM DOES NOT compress data for anyone.. Their servers run protocols to support their email service and push notification service for BBM and their encryption keeps it within BB devices.. So please OP, whatever NCC or the naija telecoms paid you to create good publicity for them, just keep the money and tell them you tried your best and don't forget to ask them to let you come out for air because your head is way up in their rectum.. Hv a nice week..
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by ceejayluv(m): 1:21pm On Dec 08, 2013
omoelu1: i don't know how transferring data through wire cables will be cheaper than doing so wirelessly .
*someone should please tell me what i don't know*
I suggest you Google "optic fibre cable advantages"
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by youthmustwork: 1:25pm On Dec 08, 2013
Make una kill each other dia.
U pple re worried abt DATA.

Nw wat happens to ASUU?
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Abanicwise(m): 1:30pm On Dec 08, 2013
Sagytarius:
Ok, android users consume diesel, while BB users consume kerosene? Is that the reason android users should be charged higher than BB users?
Ask him for me,pls.........Won'un wiru, o'oun wi iru.....Elo ni ikoko, Ara omo le.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by moststylish(m): 1:30pm On Dec 08, 2013
econity: this logic is faulty to the core, allocating 3g to BlackBerry for 1k5 is still thesame as allocating 3g to android if both of them are capable of exhausting it at the end of the month, if RIM is compressing data usage and a blackberry user decide to open a supposed 100kb page which means it'll be compressed by RIM to 25kb, and you open such page 4 times and an android user opens it once, is it not thesame data consumption.
to me, this is baseless. let allocate thesame data to both, leave it to android to drain its own faster while RIM compress its own for BB users.
thats true this argument is baseless,how does drainin of bandwidth data between blackberry n android concerns the money being paid by android users for data
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by yomanovic: 1:43pm On Dec 08, 2013
destino24: I think the main reason for this is, bb phones have a dedicated server that processes all their internet data. ISPs don't have to worry about traffic and bandwidth through their servers.

I'm not such a geek, but i know more processes on any computer equals less processing speed.

So giving bb users more data does not slow down their (ISPs) servers cos blackberry.net takes care of that issue.

Put simply, if bb users didn't have blackberry.net, then there would be more traffic on the ISPs' server which equals less bandwidth (processing speed) which equals a slow internet connection.
Airtel users can understand this better

u sabi oo!!! efiko!!! kpele!!!
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by valencia25(m): 1:46pm On Dec 08, 2013
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by winteriscoming: 1:51pm On Dec 08, 2013
u2 1 day: I just read a bit on BB data compression

And found out that, legacy bb7 devices compressed just email, browsing and Facebook with Twitter, everything else is not compressed

So while using opera mini, or uc browser, it's not compressed, also all downloads are not compressed

Also streaming isn't compressed. I keep wondering why folks talk about compression that's why data is cheap on BB, it's not true.

We spend more time downloading and streaming, that's why BlackBerry stopped compression on bb 10 and took them of their servers from the launch.

"Personal data is no longer compressed because the
majority of personal data is no longer compressible:
Media streaming (Video, Flash, Embedded)
Media downloads (Movies, TV Shows, Video, Music)
Video conferencing
Applications and games" that quote is an excerpt from an article

http://www.berryreview.com/2011/01/19/do-you-know-your-blackberry-has-datasmart-technology/

why is BB data cheap? you may ask.

Because they run over dedicated servers run by BlackBerry itself, and BlackBerry buys these data access in bulk....so economics of scale kicks in

That's what makes it cheap, but note that all BB 10 plans are expensive cuz they run over servers owned by respective providers, mtn, airtel, etc

Look at BB user regular pattern, he uses more data for downloads and streaming than emailing and facebooking

Now I understand the whole BB 7 data compression thingy better.

http://n4bb.com/blackberry-10-longer-compresses-personal-data/

based on all these, it's clear that amount of data used on bb7 devices, and other platforms are the very close, the difference is only experienced while using social networks. the real cheapness of BB data is that BlackBerry firm buys their data in bulk.

it's like how it's cheaper to buy 10gb on any network at once and share over WiFi to 10 people than buying 10plans of 1gb for each of those 10 people.

Post of the year. Take my like.

1 Like

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Abanicwise(m): 1:51pm On Dec 08, 2013
vincvin: Hmm all these techno users go dey shout android android.we wey dey use samsung galaxy no come get mouth talk again

And what is so special about ''Samsung galaxy", If I may ask.....Is it different from other Android OS?...........There is sth called "SUPERIORITY COMPLEX" and its always gd to Avoid such, dat will be tantamount to bn Modest......Stay blessed.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by destino24(m): 1:56pm On Dec 08, 2013
ceejayluv:
I suggest you Google "optic fibre cable advantages"

Optical fibre is totally different from a normal network cable
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by ify84(m): 2:05pm On Dec 08, 2013
Aphrodite4: .... So please OP, whatever NCC or the naija telecoms paid you to create good publicity for them, just keep the money and tell them you tried your best and don't forget to ask them to let you come out for air because your head is way up in their rectum.. Hv a nice week..

na wa oo... how some people de reason.... u did not even read d post... and d last paragraph... abi u didn't understand it...u should have ask someone to explain d sentence for u.... d last paragraph.... and u can see d Facebook link from where I brought d story....

1 Like

Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by joxiri: 2:09pm On Dec 08, 2013
This is a whole load of bull shit
How come the bb10 phones don't have bis plan shebi its the same rim that produced the phones
The truth is majority of bb users don't actually download with the phones as much as other android and iphone users
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Kamaye(m): 2:10pm On Dec 08, 2013
The OP should explain to us why in some countries like Ghana and Tanzania a 1GB of data is offered for just $3 dollars (about N500) http://www.itwebafrica.com/network/272-south-africa/231390-sa-has-africas-cheapest-postpaid-data-prices
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by ebunma: 2:16pm On Dec 08, 2013
3gb=3gb if rim like let it compress it ten times for bb users just give the same 3gb to android users too.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by psalmist07: 2:27pm On Dec 08, 2013
wat a hell of an xcuse...giv us d same data at d same value n leave d consumption to d customer's peril.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by newphemmy95(m): 2:30pm On Dec 08, 2013
Jst c∕̴Ɩ mere observation, if there is no 3gig 4 android users and you wanna download so bad, y N☺†̥ jst go Τ̅☺ c∕̴Ɩ café, use Ÿ̲Ơ̴̴̴̴͡uя wifi and download until you Я tired, dis way Ÿ̲Ơ̴̴̴̴͡uя 100mb aπϑ all dat will b enuf 4 you. As I said, jst an observation.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Lachynos2k2(m): 2:32pm On Dec 08, 2013
u ve just spoken my mind..our NCC officials have just exposed their cluelessness.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by einsteino(m): 2:40pm On Dec 08, 2013
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by ayusco85(m): 2:45pm On Dec 08, 2013
ikkings:
Its in Nigeria we take bb to be something, for ur information, RIM made a net loss of $964 million. thats close to a billion, they are going down and are desperate, they are probably bribing NCC, you know ur country is very corrupt.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by tijanijude(m): 2:46pm On Dec 08, 2013
Carsonv: I was hoping someone who understands the concept of bandwidth would have commented by now.

Bandwidth is the amount of data or capacity of data your network can carry within a timeframe.

If MTN has a total bandwidth of say 400MB/s that means every second the total of data that passes through is 400MB.

If a BB phone compresses its data by 50% that means BB uses 200MB/s to transfer a 400MB data. This is against an Android or iPhone that'll use the whole bandwidth to send same data.

So you see, the logic makes sense. One android may be using same bandwidth as 20 BlackBerry phones.

If what u said is true, then it mean bb users can use 800MB/s. 50% compression makes it possible for twice the data to be downloaded in 1 second. So u see, it still don't make sense because BB is using more data.
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by omoelu1(m): 2:58pm On Dec 08, 2013
ayusco85:

It baffles me how greedy and self centred android users are. First u took away the very tin BB users hold dear, our bbm, now u can ping. Now u want to share the same data package with us too? What's gon be left of bb users to brag about? Abeg mtn, glo and airtel make wuna increase android data plan to 5k self, who cares. Must u ve wat bb users are having? BB and android is it the same? Apes
e com dey pepper you no b ur makers see say market no favour dem na im dem dom carry their bbm com for us.
so u guys are really hurt. eeya pele o.
BTW, we will be getting reasonable dataplan very soon
Re: Why BIS Is Cheaper Compared To Other Data Plans by Jdfada: 3:04pm On Dec 08, 2013
Android phones comes with browsers that are server based like opera mini which uses data compression algorithm like rim too. It is the Apps in android phones that consumes data not browsing.
NCC should wake up to their duty and task these network providers to stop exploiting us and not give lame excuses for them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

New MTN Recharge Code That Works Now *3551*pin-number# And Send / Iphone 13 Space Satellite Features / HTC Sensation Discussion Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.