Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,703 members, 7,816,874 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:11 PM

Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination (17669 Views)

Onitsha Port: Anambra Shippers Task FG / Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month / Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by logica(m): 12:02pm On Dec 08, 2013
9jii.:
Lekki deepsea port News raised this issue.
How can anybody in his right mind compare "natural" ports (hence deep sea) to ports that require extensive dredging of a length of a river? Do you know the kind of cost differential we are speaking of? There is a reason big ocean liners don't ride on the Niger.

So, to satisfy an ethnic group, the FG should spend unnecessary money to dredge when they already have natural sea port at PH (which as far as the FG is concerned serves the Eastern part)? Dream on...
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by chino11(m): 12:03pm On Dec 08, 2013
invest-now2013:
Chino11 The dredged River Niger Water-Ways To Onitsha is not deep enough to accommodate Big Ocean Liners!.This is The Reason Our Governor Must Be very clever here economically by offering to Help FG to raise The total Amount needed to see that Onitsha Port is SEAPORT & Not a Riverport!.Where is The Fast Economic THINKING GOVERNOR OF ANAMBRA-STATE?

No! You getting it wrong. The River Niger Channels can only accommodate barges due to the bridges crossing the Niger. The same Barges can equally take same quantity as ocean liners but in flat forms. So it was dredged for the purpose of small ships and barges.
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by logica(m): 12:03pm On Dec 08, 2013
invest-now2013:
River Niger can also be dregded to the deep of Ocean going Vessels to Onitsha!. This can be done by Anambra & Delta-states in partnership with the FG! or ANAMBRA-STATE on it's own with permition from the FG.The cost should be in the region of 20 to 30billion Naira & can be recouped in a very short Time!.
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by blackdream: 12:03pm On Dec 08, 2013
On friday last week, I went to Abeokuta,and I said to myself;if this is the capital of Ogun state please don't wake me up. Only one branch of Ecobank is located there.

1 Like

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by chino11(m): 12:05pm On Dec 08, 2013
ilugunboy:

grin grin grin dredged on paper...

If at all it is......it's getting silted already due to lack of usage.

Minister of Information, Labaran Maku, on Monday flagged off the 2013 ministerial platform and said the dredging of the River Niger, which was inherited by President Goodluck Jonathan from his late predecessor, Musa Yar’Adua, has since been completed.

Maku, who challenged critics of the Jonathan administration to put away sentiments and be fair in their judgment, said the water-route since completion, was already facilitating transportation of goods to some neigbouring states.

“It was the government of late President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua that began the work of dredging the Niger, which President Jonathan inherited.

“Let me tell Nigerians that the job is done, and we are now transporting goods by River Niger up to Baro in Niger State; this is a record that has never been achieved by any government.”

http://www.nigerianbestforum.com/index.php?topic=250177.0
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 12:06pm On Dec 08, 2013
blackdream: On friday last week, I went to Abeokuta,and I said to myself;if this is the capital of Ogun state please don't wake me up. Only one branch of Ecobank is located there.

Which part of Abeokuta did you go to?
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 12:06pm On Dec 08, 2013
ilugunboy:

Then you should stop playing politics of hatred for Yorubas and Hausas...

You are only harming your interest with the type of name calling and abuses you directs endlessly to the two political blocs.

As much as he wish.....GEJ cannot decreed such facilities for you unless it goes through National Assembly processes.
MUST YOU INVOLVE YOUR SLAVE MASTERS IN EVERYTHING YOU SAY

4 Likes

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by FlyboyZee: 12:08pm On Dec 08, 2013
chino11: The importers want to receive their foreign goods direct in Onitsha.

The Anambra Shippers Association has called on the Federal Government to officially gazette the Onitsha River Port as an international cargo destination.

Emmanuel Akpaka, president of the association, told the News Agency of Nigeria in Onitsha, that this would make the port viable.

Mr. Akpaka noted that the initiative would also expand the frontiers of Onitsha that was located on the River Niger basin, as an international business hub.

“We want the port to be gazetted, in order for it to become a destination for cargo from anywhere in the world, whether China, Japan, Malaysia, America, or Britain.”

“So that our business brothers and sisters could ship their cargoes and goods direct from the foreign ports into Onitsha port.”

“And this can be done through a system of trans-loading tens of containers or some thousands of volumes of goods into badges to Onitsha direct and the importer receives his or her consignments in Onitsha.”

Akpaka commended the federal government for completing the port in time, as well as installing state-of-the-art facilities in it.

“We believe that all international businessmen and women have a stake in the positive wellbeing of the Onitsha port and we would also take it as our own,’’ he added.

http://premiumtimesng.com/regional/150794-importers-urge-fg-make-onitsha-port-cargo-destination.html
This is good. It will shut up all those eediots thinking that Lagos is Bigger than Nigeria/FG. If O'sha becomes an entry Port for goods, Lagos would loose half of its importance. O ye Lagosians, begin to conjure, lobby and try as much as you can that O'sha Port does not get that status, or else...

2 Likes

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by solomon111(m): 12:10pm On Dec 08, 2013
sandijey:

Let fg dredge river niger, let the government do everything they ask! So they can just leave! Since they made lagos what it is! I Keep asking wiv all the igbos inthe south east, why is the east not like dubai? Ifu say fg has spent money on lagos, is it fg that also created an enabling environment for business? Hold your leaders accountable for every insult you get. You say u import goods, is it only the igbos that are buying your goods? If the yorubas were so lazy, where do they get the money to buy ur goods? Someone said lagos will crumble! Lagos can never ever crumble. That's why am praying you guys get what u want and let everybody rest!
Are you not the same girl that was preaching about holiness and how you want a God fearing husband in the religious section the other day?
So you are an empty-headed tribalist masquerading as a 'believer'.
You remember when i said that you were not different from those useless girls that invade the churches.
Thank you for proving me right.

5 Likes

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 12:10pm On Dec 08, 2013
Eziachi:
Yes all electricity network in the East was done by the communities and not the federal or state govt.
80% of all road network in the East were created and handed over the tiers of government
They build over 4000 secondary and primary school and handed over to the governments since 1970.
Sam Mbakwe airport was built by community effort, not federal or even the state govt .
so truth i can attestify to that ..the transformer in my street in nnewi was bought by individuals not fediral govermenti
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by investnow2013: 12:11pm On Dec 08, 2013
chino11:

No! You getting it wrong. The River Niger Channels can only accommodate barges due to the bridges crossing the Niger. The same Barges can equally take same quantity as ocean liners but in flat forms. So it was dredged for the purpose of small ships and barges.
Chino11 The Onitsha Port can be moved to somewhere before The New & The old bridge. We do need a Proper SEAPORT at THE GREAT CITY OF ONITSHA!
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 12:12pm On Dec 08, 2013
basilo101:
Leave lagos say wetin hapn? Na 2 create regional branches in d east. Start importing d original nw, dnt wait 4 igbos 2 leave, if u r nt ready 2 compete u will be dominated
Lwkmd
For their minds , they think they can blame their laziness on the presence of igbos in lagos OR thinking that SE is inhabitable just to console themselves.
Ask them whether igbo is the only ethnic grp in lagos. Hausa no dey there sef?
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 12:13pm On Dec 08, 2013
blackdream: On friday last week, I went to Abeokuta,and I said to myself;if this is the capital of Ogun state please don't wake me up. Only one branch of Ecobank is located there.

Your point is?
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 12:14pm On Dec 08, 2013
If its so inhabitable, stay there na!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by logica(m): 12:15pm On Dec 08, 2013
solomon111: Are you not the same girl that was preaching about holiness and how you want a God fearing husband in the religious section the other day?
You remember when i said that you were not different from those useless girls that invade the churches.
Interesting take...but I don't see the tribalism in her post. She called the bluff of some people who think Lagos needs them...how is that tribalism? When Igbos left during the Civil War, did Lagos crumble in the late 60s? Aha.

2 Likes

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by blackdream: 12:16pm On Dec 08, 2013
ilugunboy:

Which part of Abeokuta did you go to?
I asked people (locals) if really there's any other place more developed than this and they said no, It seems like the Land Lords don't want to sell their lands,
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by chino11(m): 12:18pm On Dec 08, 2013
invest-now2013:
Chino11 The Onitsha Port can be moved to somewhere before The New & The old bridge. We do need a Proper SEAPORT at THE GREAT CITY OF ONITSHA!

I understand your point, because Anambra has the longest shoreline on the bank of River Niger. But we have to explore the one we have for now until we can expand it in the future..

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by asha80(m): 12:18pm On Dec 08, 2013
invest-now2013:
guy big ocean liners cannot pass under those bridges simple.it does not matter where you locate it.
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 12:18pm On Dec 08, 2013
sandijey:

Dominated indeed! I hope you guys no that the situation of the economy has turned graduates into business men! Every graduate wants to be on their own now! if u don't up ur game, businesses ordinarily done by illiterates will be taken over by graduates only this time everything will be mordernised! Just seeing graduates into farming and making cool cash, selling food and doing home delivery, or importing and exporting litttle things from kolanut, cocoa, palm oil, crayfish! Etc! Its a matter of time before vulcanisers, mechanics, and the likes would be mordernised not to talk of spare parts! please the country has changed a great deal!

And u think igbo graduates don't go into all forms of biz plus those spare parts u are talking abt.
Igbos are the most independent beings in nigeria : both the graduate and non graduate , that's y the educ level of a particular igbo person might not affect his destiny ,the way it affects urs.
Either way, ur ppl can't do anything. If hausas chanced u in common beans biz in ibadan , what other ones do u plan dominating ?
See bad belle everywhere , because they said sth abt onitsha port

8 Likes

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 12:19pm On Dec 08, 2013
solomon111: Are you not the same girl that was preaching about holiness and how you want a God fearing husband in the religious section the other day?

Mr man why are u following me up and down to score point! Did I hurl insults on any tribe here? You must have seen my comments and jumped up wivout even reading through! This is just opinions, didn't even abuse anybody yet ure calling me useless! Ok are u happy now? You have scored your point! Run along

3 Likes

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 12:19pm On Dec 08, 2013
Flyboy Zee:
This is good. It will shut up all those eediots thinking that Lagos is Bigger than Nigeria/FG. If O'sha becomes an entry Port for goods, Lagos would loose half of its importance. O ye Lagosians, begin to conjure, lobby and try as much as you can that O'sha Port does not get that status, or else...

Your own ignorance takes the icing on the cake on this thread. How can Onisha becomes an entry point for ocean going vessels? undecided

How does the coming of a river village port render Lagos Wharf and Apapa Tin-Can ports useless?

Are you people really this dumb or your practice this dumbness before coming online? Jeezzzzz ! undecided shocked

1 Like

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 12:22pm On Dec 08, 2013
blackdream: I asked people (locals) if really there's any other place more developed than this and they said no, It seems like the Land Lords don't want to sell their lands,

Rockead....I asked you the part of town you went to..and your are here saying balderdash.

1 Like

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by solomon111(m): 12:23pm On Dec 08, 2013
logica: Interesting take...but I don't see the tribalism in her post. She called the bluff of some people who think Lagos needs them...how is that tribalism? When Igbos left during the Civil War, did Lagos crumble in the late 60s? Aha.
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by solomon111(m): 12:23pm On Dec 08, 2013
logica: Interesting take...but I don't see the tribalism in her post. She called the bluff of some people who think Lagos needs them...how is that tribalism? When Igbos left during the Civil War, did Lagos crumble in the late 60s? Aha.
You don't see the tribalism in her post?
Okay,what is the meaning of "I pray the FG gives them what they want so they can leave"?
What is the meaning of that in one Nigeria?
Does she think the federal allocation to the SW comes from the SW?
If everybody should start leaving,then i expect Lagos and even the entire SW to pay back to the niger-delta,the huge oil-money spent there.

1 Like

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 12:23pm On Dec 08, 2013

Thankyou! He just wanted to prove something! My previous post hasvindicated me! I don't have to curse anybody out! So I don't no what is warranting him calling me useless!
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by confusion247(m): 12:23pm On Dec 08, 2013
berem: Good innovation. But must the people of the southeast depend on FG for that? Nothing have been heard of the second niger bridge. What's the possibility that Jonathan will fulfill this dream of a seaport?
So the people of south east are no longer part of hypocritical Nigeria? So only northerners has the right to depend the federal government? Kindly tell us what federal government have done in the south east from Obasanjo's era till today.

1 Like

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by investnow2013: 12:24pm On Dec 08, 2013
asha 80: guy big ocean liners cannot pass under those bridges simple.it does not matter where you locate it.
I mean before The bridge! The Port should be between Odekpe & Habour Industrial Lay-out Onitsha.If you dredge The River to this point, I bet you there will not be any hindrance!
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by PHIPEX(m): 12:26pm On Dec 08, 2013
ilugunboy:

Because Ngige understand the politics of the NASS better than you!

Ask me why the River Niger will never be dredge...

A very lame excuse. Are those that sponsor bills ignorant of the politics of NASS?
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 12:27pm On Dec 08, 2013
solomon111: You don't see the tribalism in her post?
Okay,what is the meaning of "I pray the FG gives them what they want so they can leave"?
What is the meaning of that in one Nigeria?
Does she think the federal allocation to the SW comes from the SW?
If everybody should start leaving,then i expect Lagos and even the entire SW to pay back to the niger-delta,the huge oil-money spent there.

But its the same people saying south west would crumble if they leave. Your people said they want tot leave! So let the fg give u what u want so all your investments can go back to the south-east! Isn't that good enough! So what are u saying? That thing you're looking for I won't give u! I told u the last time to pick on someone ur own size and u categorically told me that am not that important to be picked on! Remember! So let's keep it that way! Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 12:28pm On Dec 08, 2013
chino11:

I don't know why some of are so dumb..

Its Lagos Yorobarland? The last we checked Lagos was and it still FG enclave as it was developed by FG. Igbos are not in the Yorobarland but Lagos.

Below is a true certified picture of Yorobar, and the last we checked Igbos does not live in this type of house (red mud house/rusted zinc). This is a state capital in one of yorobar states.

Chino.....

If you like keep regurgitating old pictures of the SW you saved in your phones for the last two year and you vomit on all threads...it changes not the fact that your proposed village river ports with two skinny cranes can't take away 0000.001% of business from wharf and Tin can ports.

Hope Obiano has finally give you the Kia Picanto car promised you. It will be very wicked of him if you loses out of the car-jamboree going on...since that is the reason you've been jumping around NL in the last one year.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Groups Buy PDP Presidential Form For Peter Obi, Pledge 10 Million Votes / GEJ Condemned For Appointing Aig-imoukhuede To Subsidy Verification Panel / Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.