Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,166 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:00 AM

Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. (66530 Views)

Bloody theresa (fictional Thriller) / ASOIAF Quotes / Game Of Love (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Bawss1(m): 6:50pm On Aug 17, 2014
Casterly Rock. This is the ancestral stronghold of House Lannister and is located on the western coast of Westeros on a rocky promontory overlooking the Sunset Sea. It overlooks the major city of Lannisport. A major gold mine is located under Casterly Rock. It is one of the most productive in the realm and provides House Lannister with their wealth.

1 Like

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Bawss1(m): 7:02pm On Aug 17, 2014
Harrenhall is the largest castle in the Seven Kingdoms and is the seat of House Whent in the Riverlands, on the north shore of the Gods Eye Lake. Since the war of the Conquest it has become a dark and ruinous place. The castle has five towers of dizzying size with equally monstrous curtain walls. The walls are incredibly thick and it's rooms are built on a scale that would be more comfortable for giants than humans. The castles holdings are some of the richest in Westeros claiming vast tracts of green fertile land. Harrenhall covers three times as much ground as Winterfell and it's buildings are much larger that they can scarcely be compared.

1 Like

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by oluamid(m): 9:15pm On Aug 17, 2014
Nice pics bawss. Lemme too post something.

Here's a depiction of the battle of the Trident between Robert Barratheon and Rhager Targeryen and Eddard Stark cleaning "ice" at his favourite spot under the weirwood tree in Winterfell.

*****Can't remember where I got the pic.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Bawss1(m): 10:17pm On Aug 21, 2014
Here's some more photos. This one is Riverrun

Riverrun is the ancestral castle of House Tully, held by them for over a thousand years.The castle sits along the river road, which links Lannisport and the crossroads. Riverrun is a strong three-sided castle, although not especially large. In times of danger, sluice gates can be opened to flood a channel cut to the west of the castle, turning Riverrun into an island. Its walls rise sheer from the waters and its towers command the opposite shores, making assaulting it almost impossible without huge casualties

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Bawss1(m): 10:20pm On Aug 21, 2014
Storm's End is the seat of House Baratheon along Shipbreaker Bay in the Stormlands. One of the strongest castles in the Seven Kingdoms, it was once the ancestral seat of the Storm Kings of House Durrandon extending back many thousands of years. Storm's End consists of a massive curtain wall surrounding a single immense drum tower. Unlike many other castles, which consist of a complex of different buildings, Storm's End is entirely contained within one large building. This is due to the immense storms that frequently batter the castle.

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Bawss1(m): 10:22pm On Aug 21, 2014
Sunspear is the ancient stronghold of House Martell and the capital of Dorne. It is located on the far south-eastern coast of Westeros and is surrounded on three sides by the sea.

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Bawss1(m): 10:24pm On Aug 21, 2014
The Eyrie is the principal stronghold of House Arryn. It is located in the Vale of Arryn near the east coast of Westeros. The Eyrie straddles the top of a peak in the Mountains of the Moon several thousand feet above the valley floor below. It is approached by a narrow causeway and road. Those who would approach the Eyrie must pass through three way-castles guarding the ascent - and then, must proceed in single file, making them very vulnerable to archers. For these reasons, the Eyrie is considered impregnable to any attack that does not involve dragons.

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Bawss1(m): 10:30pm On Aug 21, 2014
Winterfell is the seat of House Stark. It is a large castle located at the center of the North, from where the head of House Stark rules over his people. It is the capital of the North. The castle is located alongside the Kingsroad as it makes its way from the Wall to the capital at King’s Landing, more than a thousand miles to the South. It is situated atop hot springs which keep the castle warm even in the worst winters. Winding tombs below the castle contain the remains of Stark kings and lords and record the history of the ancient family. The castle has stood for millennia

1 Like

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Bawss1(m): 10:34pm On Aug 21, 2014
Disclaimer: All photos and accompanying descriptions are gotten from Instagram. I did not come up with those myself.

2 Likes

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by zube01(m): 1:47pm On Aug 24, 2014
Bawss1: Disclaimer: All photos and accompanying descriptions are gotten from Instagram. I did not come up with those myself.
i like this.....most people would have taken the credit.....
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Nobody: 2:19pm On Aug 24, 2014
Pls what does the three eye cRow man mean when he said brann won't work again but fly quick answer pls
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by moneyallowed(m): 5:12pm On Aug 24, 2014
Guess he meant Bran'll fly in spirit; through the birds and other creatures

1 Like

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by HouseOfBalloons(f): 9:52pm On Aug 24, 2014
Who has done a reread or is currently rereading here? I've reread AGOT. Almost done with Clash but lacking motivation. I plan to finish rereading books before TWOW comes out
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by moski5(m): 10:24pm On Aug 24, 2014
HouseOfBalloons: Who has done a reread or is currently rereading here? I've reread AGOT. Almost done with Clash but lacking motivation. I plan to finish rereading books before TWOW comes out

I'm rereading it currently n there's so much I didn't see b4 cause I read wit d movie as my lens

I plan tu read it again
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Bawss1(m): 11:23pm On Aug 24, 2014
@HouseofBalloons Your moniker is interesting, are you a fan of The Weeknd by any chance?
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by HouseOfBalloons(f): 11:39pm On Aug 24, 2014
Bawss1: @HouseofBalloons Your moniker is interesting, are you a fan of The Weeknd by any chance?
yes!
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Bawss1(m): 7:42am On Aug 25, 2014
HouseOfBalloons: yes!

Correct guy! The Weeknd is dopè
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by HouseOfBalloons(f): 7:45pm On Aug 25, 2014
Bawss1:

Correct guy! The Weeknd is dopè
yep. The guy's voice is amazing!
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Bawss1(m): 9:33pm On Sep 02, 2014
Where is everyone?
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by oluamid(m): 10:53pm On Sep 02, 2014
Bawss1: Where is everyone?

I'm here.

I was just arguing with someone today about the Red wedding (the person has not read the books). I told him there is justification for what happened therein but he would have none of it. Rather he was calling Frey a traitor and cursing the Lannisters.

I personally think Rob deserved his fate @ d red wedding. Catelyn Stark doesn't though.

What are your thoughts?
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by moneyallowed(m): 7:23am On Sep 03, 2014
oluamid:

I'm here.

I was just arguing with someone today about the Red wedding (the person has not read the books). I told him there is justification for what happened therein but he would have none of it. Rather he was calling Frey a traitor and cursing the Lannisters.

I personally think Rob deserved his fate @ d red wedding. Catelyn Stark doesn't though.

What are your thoughts?
I agree, he had it coming. No bugger in their right senses would pull that stunt with the Lannisters; the fact that someone tried it with the Starks and succeeded tells you all you need to know. The Freys had a long list of grievances and pissing off your best ally is never a good idea, especially from a fragile position. Rob just gave them an excuse, and Catelyn had to die to reduce the chance of retribution; too bad they botched it. My only quarrel with the Freys was the manner of betrayal. They coulda done it in an open field of battle or something, may have been more honorable. doing it like that at a wedding with the whole host status, it spoiled the family name and made them weaker going forward. Treachery is never a good precedent

1 Like

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by SIRcumalot: 8:37am On Sep 03, 2014
oluamid:

I'm here.

What are your thoughts?
Waoh you are harsh o
Walder Frey's action at the Red wedding can't be justified at all no matter how you spin it ?
Walder could've broken out of the Agreement and sided with the Lannister since Rob broke his words first but no he had to Kill him and his people.
And the Blow back on them is that to already popular Opinion that they are Cowards,they have added Treachery to the List. Nobody trust the Freys

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by oluamid(m): 10:16am On Sep 03, 2014
SIRcumalot:
Waoh you are harsh o
Walder Frey's action at the Red wedding can't be justified at all no matter how you spin it ?
Walder could've broken out of the Agreement and sided with the Lannister since Rob broke his words first but no he had to Kill him and his people.
And the Blow back on them is that to already popular Opinion that they are Cowards they have added Treachery to the List. Nobody trust the Freys

Yes, Frey is a traitor for betraying his overlord. But his overload is Tully not Stark and the alliance Frey had with the Starks is based on Rob making a Frey his queen. It is universally known that Walder Frey is a fickle old groat and takes insults to mind.

Besides, looking at it from the Frey perspective you know its not possible that Frey aligns with the Lannisters without dire repercussions. His army will strengthen the Stark/Tully alliance but will have no hope against it. Immediately Frey declares for the Lannisters he'll find himself surrounded in a Stark/Tully siege and the Lannisters won't even be able to help because they will be too busy with battles of their own. So the way out is to scatter/significantly weaken the Starks/Tully alliance while declaring for Lannisters. And how best do you do that? Kill Rob stark and Catelyn Tully and their soldiers, take Edmund Tully hostage to make sure Bryden Tully and any other remnants of the Stark/Tully alliance won't come against you, befriend the ambitious Boltons and take them into your confidence. So you see, reputation or no, survival is all that matters. At the end, Walder Frey got his revenge, Rob Stark and his mother are killed, Bolton (the new Warden of the North) is a fast friend and the Lannisters are allies. All is good in the Frey world.

Unfortunately, the Starks/Winterfell (everyone's favourite house) was left in ruin.

Perfect example of "the end justifies the means" if you ask me.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by SIRcumalot: 12:53pm On Sep 03, 2014
oluamid:

Yes, Frey is a traitor for betraying his overlord. But his overload is Tully not Stark and the alliance Frey had with the Starks is based on Rob making a Frey his queen. It is universally known that Walder Frey is a fickle old groat and takes insults to mind.

Besides, looking at it from the Frey perspective you know its not possible that Frey aligns with the Lannisters without dire repercussions. His army will strengthen the Stark/Tully alliance but will have no hope against it. Immediately Frey declares for the Lannisters he'll find himself surrounded in a Stark/Tully siege and the Lannisters won't even be able to help because they will be too busy with battles of their own. So the way out is to scatter/significantly weaken the Starks/Tully alliance while declaring for Lannisters. And how best do you do that? Kill Rob stark and Catelyn Tully and their soldiers, take Edmund Tully hostage to make sure Bryden Tully and any other remnants of the Stark/Tully alliance won't come against you, befriend the ambitious Boltons and take them into your confidence. So you see, reputation or no, survival is all that matters. At the end, Walder Frey got his revenge, Rob Stark and his mother are killed, Bolton (the new Warden of the North) is a fast friend and the Lannisters are allies. All is good in the Frey world.

Unfortunately, the Starks/Winterfell (everyone's favourite house) was left in ruin.

A siege is exactly what Rob doesn't want he needed to cross that bridge quickly, we forget that Rob's army have depleted significantly after the Insult to both the Frey and the Karstarks.
What enemies will the lannisters be fighting ? I hate to see how they will pass up this advantage
A siege would give the Freys a much better standing with the Lannisters than the Red wedding option,because I can't even remember the Price Walder got for his betrayal I think he got Riverrun for one of his Son who is conveniently Married to a Lannister who controls the Marriage.
It easy to say the end justify the Means now but we know this story hasn't end.
And I don't really support any house and after Book 5, I can't stand tyrion as long as Samwell Tarly doesn't die,the whole lot can die
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by oluamid(m): 12:54pm On Sep 03, 2014
We all love ASOIF theories, don't we? Sure we do wink. Before the great tragedy of the Nairaland attack this thread was a beehive of theories and counter theories and we were already about 14 pages long. Phew *sighs* cry. Unfortunately, since "winter came" in form of that attack the thread has experienced a lull and comments have come at a premium.

Big shoutouts to SIRcumalot, moneyallowed, Bawss1 (thanks for those pics man), moski5, HouseOfBalloons, zube01, obinnau, Oahray, etc who have kept this thread alive with their posts.

In a bid to get some talking points I went online and I was able to come up with these. check them out...

Rhaegar and Lyanna are Jon's parents.

Brandon Stark was the man Ashara Dayne loved.

Sandor Clegane is alive and well at the monastery.

Jon is not dead. OR if he is, will be returned via Melisandre/R'hllor.

Aegon is the false dragon referenced in Dany's prophecy from the House of the Undying.

I think the Three Eyed Crow teaching Bran is Brynden Rivers - aka Bloodraven a bastard son of Aegon IV.

Dany could be Azor Ahai - her dragons are Lightbringer. I'm not sure if I believe this one yet, but I like the interpretation.

I've been trying to think of a definite theory buster, but I just can't come up with one, the more research I put into it the more it seems to support the possibility. So I thought I get some more fans involved.

I know the main theory for Jon's parents is Lyanna and Rhaegar, but I read a partially developed theory that I've since explored and expanded, that Jon's parent's are actually Lyanna and Brandon (her own brother)
I thought it might not fit the timeline, but I think it actually might.

Brandon dies 282 AL, Jon is born 283 AL - so here is my question if anyone knows - how does time, say months and weeks and years, work in ASOIAF? Are we still looking at 12 months to a year?
This could help me determine the possibility better.

In way of support for this theory -

Jon is markedly Stark featured, more Stark in appearance than any of the other children, Arya comes closest.

Incest is known to occur within the story and even in families who would be seen as culturally abject to the idea. (i.e. Lannisters)

Lyanna and Brandon were both possessed of Wolf's Blood.

Ned promises to keep a secret for Lyanna he feels he can never tell anyone, including his greif stricken wife who is clearly miserable at the fact he's brought home a bastard. (I think incest is something I would keep under wraps)

Brandon is revealed to be something of a sexual deviant in DWD

Lyanna and Brandon are said to have rode horses together often and alone.

Brandon becomes exponentially angry at Lyanna's abduction, despite the fact she is abducted by the Crown Prince.

Ned is rather understanding of Jaime and Cersei's relationship, even warning them so they may escape Robert's wrath. He's never mad about the incest, he's mad about the lies to Robert.

I could probably go on, but this usually works a lot better in debate format.

I'm torn between thinking maybe they had a consenting relationship and maybe Brandon just raped Lyanna before she married Robert, similar to Viserys attempt to do the same to Dany before her wedding to Kahl Drogo...

And personally, I want to know who Hodor really is? i mean Old Nan is his grandma but she's not a giantess so what explains hodor's gian't-like build?

Ladies and gentlemen, lets dive in!

2 Likes

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by oluamid(m): 1:25pm On Sep 03, 2014
SIRcumalot:
A siege is exactly what Rob doesn't want he needed to cross that bridge quickly, we forget that Rob's army have depleted significantly after the Insult to both the Frey and the Karstarks.
What enemies will the lannisters be fighting ? I hate to see how they will pass up this advantage
A siege would give the Freys a much better standing with the Lannisters than the Red wedding option,because I can't even remember the Price Walder got for his betrayal I think he got Riverrun for one of his Son who is conveniently Married to a Lannister who controls the Marriage.
And I don't really support any house and after Book 5, I can't stand tyrion as long as Samwell Tarly doesn't die,the whole lot can die

I agree that Rob's army was depleted and it would make it harder to organize a siege but it's not impossible. Remember that the Lannisters are also preoccupied with defending King's Landing from Stannis' army and Rob needed Frey's army to boost morale and not to cross the twins ( he had already crossed the bridge and needed Frey's army for an all out attack on the Lannisters whilst they are distracted by Stannis). Rob was also trying to protect the North from the invaders from the sea (Greyjoys). Rob simply have no excuse not to fulfill his obligations cos he needed allies especially when you are fighting the Lannisters, and also because the Starks are known for their honour and Rob acted most dishonourably.

However, I'm not trying to say Frey is innocent, only why I'm not sorry Rob was killed. in fact, I'm more sorry Greywind (Rob's wolf) and Catelyn Stark lost their lives than Rob and his yeye queen.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by SIRcumalot: 2:28pm On Sep 03, 2014
At this time Stannis army where already vanquished at the blackwaterbay battle.
Recall a certain Dog that was at that battle and was present for the aftermath of RW despite taking some detours.
and didn't the Greyjoy already hold Winterfell at this time ?
am not sure rob's army already crossed the bridge and even if they did, it hardly mattered since they would've been killed either way
and you shouldn't be sorry for Robb i wasn't but Walder's actions can never be justified he picked an abominable option that have serious long time effect for Paltry gains.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by moski5(m): 4:44pm On Sep 03, 2014
SIRcumalot:
Waoh you are harsh o
And the Blow back on them is that to already popular Opinion that they are Cowards they have added Treachery to the List. Nobody trust the Freys

while I agree with You let's remember d Leaches n d Red witch no ordinary hand moved d freys
can I get some likes if yu agree
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by moski5(m): 4:47pm On Sep 03, 2014
oluamid:

Yu don't kill some1 4 breaking his words talk less of to kill him in a wedding n breaking one of the oldest n most sacred laws
Well like I said b4 D Red Witch moved d freys
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by moski5(m): 4:52pm On Sep 03, 2014
SIRcumalot:

Tyrion is paying his debt n playing d game of thrones He's d guy we're all looking out 4
As 4 Sam he ain't out yet its Jon I'm a bit concerned about
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by moski5(m): 5:03pm On Sep 03, 2014
oluamid: We all love ASOIF theories, don't we? Sure we do wink. Before the great tragedy of the Nairaland attack this thread was a beehive of theories and counter theories and we were already about 14 pages long. Phew *sighs* cry. Unfortunately, since "winter came" in form of that attack the thread has experienced a lull and comments have come at a premium.

Big shoutouts to SIRcumalot, moneyallowed, Bawss1 (thanks for those pics man), moski5, HouseOfBalloons, zube01, obinnau, Oahray, etc who have kept this thread alive with their posts.

In a bid to get some talking points I went online and I was able to come up with these. check them out...

And personally, I want to know who Hodor really is? i mean Old Nan is his grandma but she's not a giantess so what explains hodor's gian't-like build?

Ladies and gentlemen, lets dive in!

if cleagane is alive hmmm it means d monk lied or distorted d truth

Lyanna and Brandon is quite outragous I'd prefer Lynanna n Rheager

Jon surviving or coming back is one of my theories

I don't remember d false dragon prophecy

As 4 d blood raven theory I really don't care tho that ability is 4 Starks only? Right?
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by moski5(m): 5:08pm On Sep 03, 2014
oluamid:

I agree that Rob's army was depleted and it would make it harder to organize a siege but it's not impossible. Remember that the Lannisters are also preoccupied with defending King's Landing from Stannis' army and Rob needed Frey's army to boost morale and not to cross the twins ( he had already crossed the bridge and needed Frey's army for an all out attack on the Lannisters whilst they are distracted by Stannis). Rob was also trying to protect the North from the invaders from the sea (Greyjoys). Rob simply have no excuse not to fulfill his obligations cos he needed allies especially when you are fighting the Lannisters, and also because the Starks are known for their honour and Rob acted most dishonourably.

However, I'm not trying to say Frey is innocent, only why I'm not sorry Rob was killed. in fact, I'm more sorry Greywind (Rob's wolf) and Catelyn Stark lost their lives than Rob and his yeye queen.

I think yu're speaking from d movie By d book his as yu said yeye Queen is alive n may still b pregnant

Rob deserved to pay 4 wat he did He cud ve been asked to put aside his queen n take a Frey 4 queen but to b butchered in a wedding....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply)

Life Of A Broke Naija Graduate ( Short Story) / Naive ( Novel) / Sexcapade With The Neighbors Daughters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.