Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,491 members, 7,819,785 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:19 PM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (3544) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3754816 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3541) (3542) (3543) (3544) (3545) (3546) (3547) ... (3835) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Karleb(m): 7:10pm On Jun 02, 2023
Baddestguyp:
Can't believe I typed all that in about 15 minutes.

Didn't even know when the review became that long lmao grin

Bro, 15 minutes is a lot of time. So don't make it seem as if you didn't type that deliberately.

You also don't need to apologize for typing long reviews. We no dey vex as we no even read am.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Baddestguyp(m): 7:26pm On Jun 02, 2023
Karleb:

Bro, 15 minutes is a lot of time. So don't make it seem as if you didn't type that deliberately.

You also don't need to apologize for typing long reviews. We no dey vex as we no even read am.
I honestly didn't know it was that long until I posted it.
I think the spacing made it look longer than it actually is.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Illusioneffect(m): 8:19pm On Jun 02, 2023
pu7pl3:

Added imp at the end of your trashy post so you think you have 1 up on me. You must be deep in illusion brah
Uhn.... Imp actually means in my opinion 👀 to me. You read it wrong
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nilon: 8:28pm On Jun 02, 2023
Karleb:

were you one of those who requested for extra sheet in the exam Hall?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nilon: 8:30pm On Jun 02, 2023
Baddestguyp:
Can't believe I typed all that in about 15 minutes.

Didn't even know when the review became that long lmao grin
do you know Roger Ebert, Richard roeper?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nilon: 8:33pm On Jun 02, 2023
Baddestguyp:
Hypnotic ..........6.8/10

Watching this movie, I can see why some rated it very low and some others felt it was okay.

I think most of the people who gave this movie like 2/10 didn't get past the 40 minutes mark.

The first 40-50 minutes or so felt like the worst movie I'd seen in 2023...
I knew there had to be a twist, cos the movie couldn't be that bad...

I had several ideas for the twist including the Rourke being the bad guy or that Lev Dellrayne didn't exist...etc

I hoped the twist would somehow explain the bad writing decisions and make everything make sense

The twist came and everything did make sense

However this movie still suffers from an execution problem. The idea isn't bad, but the execution had problems. A lot of the plot points were set up earlier...a lot was foreshadowed but when it came to the execution, it wasn't done well

A major plot issue here is how hypnotics powers work. I believe it was said that they manipulate through the brain...i.e make people see a different version of reality.
For some weird reason this hypnosis seems to work on someone miles away even before they were in any close proximity. For example the division agents were under the hypnosis of Rourke's daughter right from miles away in Helicopters even without them being anywhere near contact.
It's even likely that she hadn't met many of them ever in her life, yet they were already under her hypnosis.
Things like this break the entire rules and power system set up previously

For the twist, while the twist could be said to be good, everything that came after was badly executed and mostly predictable. The plan of Rourke had many holes in it...same as that of the division
E.g Rourke being allowed by the Division to take his daughter away. For someone they were grooming that way with so much plans, there was no reason to let her out of their sights. Anything could happen, her parents could hide her, she could be involved in a random accident, a third party with spies in the division could take her etc

It makes no sense that an agency like that with their high tech didn't have a decryption AI to decrypt a code like Lev Dellrayne being very similar to the name of a street?
That they somehow had no info about his past that he lived with surrogate parents for many years?

Rourke's plan to lure every division agent out to kill them was laughable

He somehow bet that an entire agency would send every single agent out to get him? And they wouldn't have any more agents at their base?
If he killed the ones that came, shouldn't they have more to send after him?

He somehow bet that they wouldn't snipe him out of their helicopter or car? But instead all would come out in the open like idiôts against a hypnotic?

The after-credits scene didn't even make any sense. The division leader foôled Rourke, his wife and his daughter (the strongest hypnotic alive) easily.
Then why did they need the daughter in the first place

The division had hypnotics on their teams but couldn't use another two to breed and form another child as a backup plan?
have you watched Now You See Me? phr0nesis, octopusssy
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Baddestguyp(m): 8:38pm On Jun 02, 2023
Nilon:
do you know Roger Ebert, Richard roeper?
no
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Baddestguyp(m): 8:38pm On Jun 02, 2023
Nilon:
have you watched Now You See Me? phr0nesis, octopusssy
of course
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Kion: 9:08pm On Jun 02, 2023
Baddestguyp:
Hypnotic ..........6.8/10

Watching this movie, I can see why some rated it very low and some others felt it was okay.

I think most of the people who gave this movie like 2/10 didn't get past the 40 minutes mark.

The first 40-50 minutes or so felt like the worst movie I'd seen in 2023...
I knew there had to be a twist, cos the movie couldn't be that bad...

I had several ideas for the twist including the Rourke being the bad guy or that Lev Dellrayne didn't exist...etc

I hoped the twist would somehow explain the bad writing decisions and make everything make sense

The twist came and everything did make sense

However this movie still suffers from an execution problem. The idea isn't bad, but the execution had problems. A lot of the plot points were set up earlier...a lot was foreshadowed but when it came to the execution, it wasn't done well

A major plot issue here is how hypnotics powers work. I believe it was said that they manipulate through the brain...i.e make people see a different version of reality.
For some weird reason this hypnosis seems to work on someone miles away even before they were in any close proximity. For example the division agents were under the hypnosis of Rourke's daughter right from miles away in Helicopters even without them being anywhere near contact.
It's even likely that she hadn't met many of them ever in her life, yet they were already under her hypnosis.
Things like this break the entire rules and power system set up previously

For the twist, while the twist could be said to be good, everything that came after was badly executed and mostly predictable. The plan of Rourke had many holes in it...same as that of the division
E.g Rourke being allowed by the Division to take his daughter away. For someone they were grooming that way with so much plans, there was no reason to let her out of their sights. Anything could happen, her parents could hide her, she could be involved in a random accident, a third party with spies in the division could take her etc

It makes no sense that an agency like that with their high tech didn't have a decryption AI to decrypt a code like Lev Dellrayne being very similar to the name of a street?
That they somehow had no info about his past that he lived with surrogate parents for many years?

Rourke's plan to lure every division agent out to kill them was laughable

He somehow bet that an entire agency would send every single agent out to get him? And they wouldn't have any more agents at their base?
If he killed the ones that came, shouldn't they have more to send after him?

He somehow bet that they wouldn't snipe him out of their helicopter or car? But instead all would come out in the open like idiôts against a hypnotic?

The after-credits scene didn't even make any sense. The division leader foôled Rourke, his wife and his daughter (the strongest hypnotic alive) easily.
Then why did they need the daughter in the first place

The division had hypnotics on their teams but couldn't use another two to breed and form another child as a backup plan?
I concur
saw a lot of bad reviews about this movie on this thread, had to watch it myself
I must say it’s a pretty decent movie
I’ll give it a 6
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Octopusssy(f): 9:37pm On Jun 02, 2023
abduleez1:
Damn, she's stupendously rich!! shocked shocked
Did she make all these money from acting? I haven't seen her in a big budget movie in quite a long while
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Baddestguyp(m): 9:38pm On Jun 02, 2023
Kion:
I concur
saw a lot of bad reviews about this movie on this thread, had to watch it myself
I must say it’s a pretty decent movie
I’ll give it a 6
I believe most people didn't get past the halfway point.

The first half of the movie was intentionally bad. If not for the plot twist I was expecting, I would have dumped the movie then...
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nickshrapnel: 9:55pm On Jun 02, 2023
Across The Spiderverse
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by femianski: 1:31am On Jun 03, 2023
Can anyone pls share me the link where I can watch the battle for Incheon
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 2:02am On Jun 03, 2023
Octopusssy:

Did she make all these money from acting? I haven't seen her in a big budget movie in quite a long while

I don't think she made all this wealth from her acting career. I'm guessing she prolly got a chunky inheritance from her parents or relative. I don't know. The most probable answer is she has other profitable business interests asides acting.

Nevertheless, she's easily amongst the highest paid actress in the world. I ain't seen her in a recent big budget or prestige film but she got a lot of money in Apple TV plus show "The Morning Show". Heard she got paid $20mn alongside a co-star (maybe Nicole Kidman, I ain't sure).

The new season is prolly debuting sometime this year.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by pu7pl3(m): 4:24am On Jun 03, 2023
Illusioneffect:

Uhn.... Imp actually means in my opinion 👀 to me. You read it wrong

cos opinion starts with the letter P right? undecided

IMO in capital letters, for next time.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Illusioneffect(m): 7:51am On Jun 03, 2023
pu7pl3:

cos opinion starts with the letter P right? undecided

IMO in capital letters, for next time.
My mistake, I still see no reason why I'll call you imp tho, what do u think? 👀
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 9:30am On Jun 03, 2023
Argo (2012)......8.9/10

A top tier edge of your sit movie narrating the US/Iran hostage crisis of 1979-1981. It marked the beginning of Iran's hostile relations with the US and Allies after the Shah rulership collapsed and the Ayatollahs took over.

With the toppled Shah hurriedly jetted out of the country to US for medical reasons, the repressed, oppressed and angry people of Iran seeking revenge demands the US return their former leader back to the country to answer for his crimes. With the US refusal, this marks a brutal reality of hatred and vengeance that leads to the US embassy being attacked. A brutal race to find and rescue (or capture) all US nationals ensues.

You feel the tension in the movie from the start till the end. It keeps rising at different points and never lets go. Interesting use of suspense and anxiety to great effect. Nice acting from all involved. Superb directing from Ben Affleck as well as his good acting in the film. Gives you the exact feeling what a situation such as that is all about.

It's a movie that somehow denotes how funny and ironical it is when you realise that some governments are very cordial with each other decades ago (or historically) only to now turn sworn enemies in modern times just because of a regime change. One of the myriad instances in life where the action (or inaction) of one's leader has lasting ramifications on an everyday citizen's life.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 9:35am On Jun 03, 2023
Super Mario Bros Movie..... 7.5/10

A very enjoyable and funny family movie. Has all the bells and whistles to keep you interested. The most interesting character and my favourite was Bowser. He had the best character development and best lines. I loved the attention to detail done on his character. I always noticed how his pupils always shrunk when Princess Peach rebukes him with his face of despair.... But dude always had a comeback. Gives me a joyful feeling. But man, Bowser was a premium simp of the highest order. 😂😂 Great voice acting from Jack Black and big thanks for giving us a beautiful song that I won't be forgetting to stop humming anytime soon.

Funny how the credits list Anya Taylor Joy as Peach but I can hardly recognise the voice on-screen. Something I noticed recently, dunno why ALL animation films sound the same. Even if you're not watching the movie and you were just eavesdropping on what someone was watching, you could always tell when one's watching animation. It's just got this distinctive sound.

Illumination/Universal has cracked the code to giving movie audiences what they want. Not all time we need animation movies preaching fundamentals of life with deep meanings or propagating hidden agendas. Just focusing on giving viewers a fun and entertaining moment and that's why this film is a success.
For the more thought provoking fare, they got Dreamworks. And that's why they're eclipsing Disney in the animation genre this decade.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 9:39am On Jun 03, 2023
Illusioneffect:

Something for my mind still dey tell me say na 🧢. 🤔

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 9:42am On Jun 03, 2023
John Wick: Chapter 4..... 7.5/10

Beautiful movie with one of the most brilliant set of Cinematography and composition. Beautiful colour grading as well as nice sets and location. Many scenes in the movie can be pictured as a work of "art". The sound design is one of the most impressive I've heard in recent times, epic SFX to keep you glued and pull you into the film itself. Superb work if you ask me.

This time the stakes were higher, the risk higher, and the chaos and death tripled. Great acting from Bill Skarsgard as the Marquis and Ian Mcshane with his acting elegance and dazzle. I just love that man dishing out aphorisms. His voice is music to my ears and sounds like a Greek god.

The action in this installment was superb and the one take long action sequences was superbly crafted. The hand to hand combat was ironically realistic and well choreographed.

A tad bit unrealistic as many has said but we didn't stay this long with the Baba Yega just for realism. We remained and turned up for "the Man, the Myth, the Legend" — Johnathan Wick.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 9:48am On Jun 03, 2023
Air..... 8.5/10

Not a biopic per se of an iconic figure but a historical recap of a mammoth premium brand "Air Jordan". Well produced, well written, well paced and premium piece of acting from all involved. Ben Affleck is a great director and actor and his acting choices in recent years has been interesting.

The movie had funny moments especially with Jordan's agent played by Chris Messina and some good Nostalgia from Chris Tucker. Matt Damon is a super duper actor and one to depend on when it comes to biopics; man has basically hacked the game. Love his acting choices too. As always, Viola Davis doesn't seem not to provide "class and elegance" on-screen as she always disshes us. Beautiful woman to watch perform what she loves to do best.

This is arguably one of the best movies for this year. 😎

And with "Tetris" and this movie, this style of biopics about top brands that means big deal to people will start seeing more exploration in Hollywood. It's an ingenious move and somewhat original tweak in Hollywood's retellings in recent years.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by phr0nesis(m): 10:07am On Jun 03, 2023
abduleez1:
Air..... 8.5/10

Not a biopic per se of an iconic figure but a historical recap of a mammoth premium brand "Air Jordan". Well produced, well written, well paced and premium piece of acting from all involved. Ben Affleck is a great director and actor and his acting choices in recent years has been interesting.

The movie had funny moments especially with Jordan's agent played by Chris Messina and some good Nostalgia from Chris Tucker. Matt Damon is a super duper actor and one to depend on when it comes to biopics; man has basically hacked the game. Love his acting choices too. As always, Viola Davis doesn't seem not to provide "class and elegance" on-screen as she always disshes us. Beautiful woman to watch perform what she loves to do best.

This is arguably one of the best movies for this year. 😎

And with "Tetris" and this movie, this style of biopics about top brands that means big deal to people will start seeing more exploration in Hollywood. It's an ingenious move and somewhat original tweak in Hollywood's retellings in recent years.
I enjoyed Air and Tetris. I had to start looking for more biopics because them; which led me to Selma and Big George Foreman.
Right now I'm still looking for more
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by emmynaira24(m): 10:16am On Jun 03, 2023
You can download latest movie @ 👉eclipnet24.com.ng
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by WriterNig: 10:27am On Jun 03, 2023
🎥 Blackberry (2023) = 7.8/10 ✔️

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by SOZINN: 10:39am On Jun 03, 2023
The Fast & Furious movies are notorious for growing more overtly outrageous with each entry. The Fast Saga has become a mix of sci-fi absurdity and family, and whatever logical hurdles there may have been to time travel are a thing of the past for the series. 😂

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by pu7pl3(m): 10:42am On Jun 03, 2023
Illusioneffect:

Water under the bridge...
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Karleb(m): 10:57am On Jun 03, 2023
SOZINN:
The Fast & Furious movies are notorious for growing more overtly outrageous with each entry. The Fast Saga has become a mix of sci-fi absurdity and family, and whatever logical hurdles there may have been to time travel are a thing of the past for the series. 😂

Are you not entertained? Simple yes or no. lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Ishilove: 11:16am On Jun 03, 2023
abduleez1:
Super Mario Bros Movie..... 7.5/10

A very enjoyable and funny family movie. Has all the bells and whistles to keep you interested. The most interesting character and my favourite was Bowser. He had the best character development and best lines. I loved the attention to detail done on his character. I always noticed how his pupils always shrunk when Princess Peach rebukes him with his face of despair.... But dude always had a comeback. Gives me a joyful feeling. But man, Bowser was a premium simp of the highest order. 😂😂 Great voice acting from Jack Black and big thanks for giving us a beautiful song that I won't be forgetting to stop humming anytime soon.

Funny how the credits list Anya Taylor Joy as Peach but I can hardly recognise the voice on-screen. Something I noticed recently, dunno why ALL animation films sound the same. Even if you're not watching the movie and you were just eavesdropping on what someone was watching, you could always tell when one's watching animation. It's just got this distinctive sound.

Illumination/Universal has cracked the code to giving movie audiences what they want. Not all time we need animation movies preaching fundamentals of life with deep meanings or propagating hidden agendas. Just focusing on giving viewers a fun and entertaining moment and that's why this film is a success.
For the more thought provoking fare, they got Dreamworks. And that's why they're eclipsing Disney in the animation genre this decade.
You have an eye for detail. I didn't notice the pupil shrinking o.

Jack Black's performance was the most enjoyable, in my opinion. The highlight for me was his song grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 11:18am On Jun 03, 2023
phr0nesis:

I enjoyed Air and Tetris. I had to start looking for more biopics because them; which led me to Selma and Big George Foreman.

Selma has always been on my watchlist for 6 yrs now if not more.
You can check out "BlackBerry" which just came out.

Also check out oldies of you haven't like:

Steve Jobs
Weird Al Yankovic
Ali
Elvis
Bohemian Rhapsody
I Wanna Dance With Somebody
Selena
The Death of Stalin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 11:36am On Jun 03, 2023
Ishilove:

You have an eye for detail. I didn't notice the pupil shrinking o.

Jack Black's performance was the most enjoyable, in my opinion. The highlight for me was his song grin

Bowser's scenes were almost the only scenarios I rewinded scenes several times. So it was easy spotting his mannerisms as I loved his design. The way he talks and move. Maybe cos his eye colour and brows were red I paid more attention to it.
The voice acting from Jack Black was superb. Transitioning from mean voice to sweet voice just for Peach. Bowser is the reason I love the movie.
I can bet 30% of the movie's budget went to Bowser's design. 🤭

Same here... I love that song..... I'm just pained it ain't longer. Ooh Peaches, Peaches. grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by phr0nesis(m): 11:41am On Jun 03, 2023
abduleez1:

Selma has always been on my watchlist for 6 yrs now if not more.
You can check out "BlackBerry" which just came out.

Also check out oldies of you haven't like:

Steve Jobs
Weird Al Yankovic
Ali
Elvis
Bohemian Rhapsody
I Wanna Dance With Somebody
Selena
The Death of Stalin
Thanks bro

Steve Jobs and Stalin downloaded
Hope Bohemian Rhapsody doesn't have gay romance in it?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by majesticguy: 11:48am On Jun 03, 2023
phr0nesis:

Detroit
Greater
Mosul
Rush
12 years a slave
Sometime in April
Fruitvale Station
Escape From Mogadishu
The Siege of Jadotville
The 24th
Devotion
Father Stu

Add the following to the ones abduleez1 gave you they're all biopics and everyone of them is a hit.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (3541) (3542) (3543) (3544) (3545) (3546) (3547) ... (3835) (Reply)

Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: jiggar(m), DieRich5, VillageBus(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.