Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,568 members, 7,847,373 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 04:29 PM

15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist (25890 Views)

Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell / How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Keluong(m): 5:27pm On Dec 12, 2013
Nigellus_Hosan:

there are sins which cannot be forgiven at all..

When u ruthlessly kill somebody in ur right mind..

U urself go know say God no go fit forgive u..
Because the blood of the innocent will rise up from the ground n cry against u in Judgement..

Someone like Hitler praying for God to forgive am..

U forget that the devil will also com n state reasons why u shouldn't b forgiven..

Wen next u want to gbagaun think first..

Oloriboorookoo..
Just to show that your morality is not solely from the bible.
I read the bible well you know, and looking at it objectively, its easy to tell that most of what you put there is from your common sense.
I know that you can prove its biblical, but only with a preset mindset of what you know is good, then scanning through the numerous verses of the bible and selecting a few verse that conforms with your views. Infact, thats how tithing was invented.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by NativeBoy: 5:27pm On Dec 12, 2013
Lord Nico: Morality is not connected to religion. We do not need religion to be good. Human morality has a Darwinian explanation: altruistic
genes, selected through the process of evolution, give people natural empathy.

Would you commit murder, rape or robbery if you knew that no
God existed? Only very few people would answer "yes", which undermines the claim that religion is needed to make us behave morally.

If you take a survey of the history of morality, you will find a moral Zeitgeist (the characteristic of an age) that continually evolves in society, generally progressing toward
liberalism. As it progresses, this moral consensus influences how religious leaders interpret their holy writings. In the past, with support from holy writings, it was okay to own slaves, to commit atrocities against prisoners of war, refuse rights to certain people based on race, culture etc, but in modern times, those acts are viewed as morally wrong.

Morality does not
originate from the Bible or any other holy book, rather our moral progress informs what part of the Bible Christians and other religious groups accept and
what they now dismiss.

Inspired by Richard Dawkins' "The God Delusion"

You might want to read Dawkins' conclusions on good and evil. He states clearly that there is really no such thing as good and evil. We simply dance to the music of DNA. This is the morality of atheism.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by ebamma(m): 5:29pm On Dec 12, 2013
ask yourself this question, if u were a superhuman, who had the power to heal all sickness, the power to make a man rich, the power to make any man happy, and u had people who look upto u as their father, won't u use the above powers to make them live a better life?,
80 to 90% of filipinos who died in last month's typhoon were christians who believed in God, ask yourself, if u had the powers the supposed God is believed to possess and u had this thousands of people who looked upto u in their time of distress won't u stop the typhoon and save every believer of your's life?
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Lordlexyy: 5:30pm On Dec 12, 2013
texanomaly:

He is well aware of the doctrinal preface here. He probably knows the text of the bible better than either of us. He does not believe in God. And he doesn't believe Jesus Christ is our Savior, or bridge of any kind. This type of explanation, and any number of scriptural references are bandied daily. They are not effective tools for convincing an atheist of anything. I'm not saying give up. I certainly won't. I care enough not to do that. I just think we Christians need some new material. I haven't figured out what that might be yet, but I'm not giving up. wink grin grin

@ LB
Morning grin
Thought you were smarter than that. What other material could be more convincing than the bible? Beside, it isn't in our place to try to convince them but to point out facts from the scriptures and how it relates to us. Those who want to believe will have an open to believe but those who choose not to even if an angel appear b4 them will always find reasons not to.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Zamizoni(m): 5:30pm On Dec 12, 2013
Joshthefirst: Your number 1 is good. But it contradicts itself. The question of morals always leads us to the implication of God.

I hope some foolish elements will learn from your number 1's first phrase:

"Morality is an innate part of every human being"

YOU NEED NOT USE THE WORD "FOOLISH ELEMENTS" TO DESCRIBE ANYONE OR THING..... ALREADY YOUR GOING AGAINST THE ISSUE OF MORALITY THAT YOU WANT PEOPLE TO LEARN FROM...... CHARITY THEY SAY; STARTS FROM YA CRIB cheesy
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by NativeBoy: 5:31pm On Dec 12, 2013
Deep Sight:

Exactly. And that is what they in fact do, poker faced, and without blinking.

Whenever you have the time, read this thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/1520806/evolution-morality

Read ALL of it.

Thanks I will
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 5:31pm On Dec 12, 2013
begwong: Do we have atheist that are gay and lesbians?

Yup

2 Likes

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 5:31pm On Dec 12, 2013
ebamma: When the missionaries came to africa, the had the bible and we had the land and the said let us pray and when we opened our eyes,we had the bible and the had the land-Desmond tutu

because Africans were greedy..
They sold their enemies..captives of war just for umbrellas n matches n dry gin..

Slowly d Europeans were encroaching..

D missionaries never came for slaves..they came to preach d word of God...
But it was custom that subjects of d Kings of wherever claim d Land for d King..
So if d missionaries did not do as instructed..
Claiming d Land not picking slaves..

They would b beheaded for treason..

After the Land was claimed it becomes the King's or Queen's

so the missionaries in their quest n zeal for bringing d gospel to every part of d world were seen n used as political advantages..
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by onetrack(m): 5:32pm On Dec 12, 2013
Sheykul Islam: @ OP if i have a pen on my hand showing it to an athiest and i say its a book definately he will say its a pen because for him to know dat he must know what a pen or a book is. For an athiest to believe that God doesnt exist he must know who God is. So to the athiest who is God ? B4 u can deny his existence

The gods that have been defined by the various religions, these are the gods that we deny. It is the believers that have created these gods and define them, and now they should prove the existence of their gods. We're waiting. Handing us a 'holy book' as proof is nothing--they all came from the hands of men. Stating that creation must have a creator then causes us to ask who created the creator? And which one of your gods created this?
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by DeepSight(m): 5:33pm On Dec 12, 2013
rationalmind:

Only that I didn't tell you I subscribe to objective morality. I was only trying to call you out on your use of "they".

Come on. There was nothing wrong with the use of "they" because "they" were indeed atheists; and to a man, amongst those that stepped forward, they all argued for the subjectivity of morality on that thread. Including LB, who here shamefully partly retracts that by saying that he thinks some morality to be objective. "They" indeed do lack any integrity, those ones!

It is not wrong either, when you say of Christians - "They" call a Jewish Rabbi God. It is not wrong, because Christians do say this - even when not all Christians say or agree with it.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Keluong(m): 5:34pm On Dec 12, 2013
Nigellus_Hosan:

there are sins which cannot be forgiven at all..

When u ruthlessly kill somebody in ur right mind..

U urself go know say God no go fit forgive u..
Because the blood of the innocent will rise up from the ground n cry against u in Judgement..

Someone like Hitler praying for God to forgive am..

U forget that the devil will also com n state reasons why u shouldn't b forgiven..

Wen next u want to gbagaun think first..

Oloriboorookoo..
My mistake.
I did not read completely before my previous reply.

- Are you holier than hitler?
- What is all his devil talk? I find it hard to communicate with you guys when you begin to bring up stupid and unprovable assertions.
- why cant god not kill the devil/lock him up at least so that we, his creation will have one less thing to worry about?
- what do you mean by "gbagaun"? did I make a mistake anywhere, if I did, pls correct me.
Finally, why insult me?, my previous post wasnt directed to you
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 5:36pm On Dec 12, 2013
Lordlexyy: Thought you were smarter than that. What other material could be more convincing than the bible? Beside, it isn't in our place to try to convince them but to point out facts from the scriptures and how it relates to us. Those who want to believe will have an open to believe but those who choose not to even if an angel appear b4 them will always find reasons not to.

You mean like this?

Numbers 22:28
Then the LORD opened the donkey's mouth, and it
said to Balaam, "What have I done to you to make
you beat me these three times?"

So convincing cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Keluong(m): 5:36pm On Dec 12, 2013
@ deepsight
I ve been wanting to have a lil conv with you.
Maybe at a later time.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Riclord001(m): 5:36pm On Dec 12, 2013
Logicboy03:

An atheist can be religious but atheism is not a religion.

Surely, you know that there's something bad with religion and so youwil tell the lie that atheism is a religion so that you can pull atheists down with you. Sorry, try harder.
So, if a man who had been takin drugs for malaria forces a kid with a similar fate to take such drugs, then somethin must b wrong with d drug for him2 av ensured such? Can‘t sum1 push anoda in2 doin thinz dat are beneficial
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 5:37pm On Dec 12, 2013
Keluong:
Just to show that your morality is not solely from the bible.
I read the bible well you know, and looking at it objectively, its easy to tell that most of what you put there is from your common sense.
I know that you can prove its biblical, but only with a preset mindset of what you know is good, then scanning through the numerous verses of the bible and selecting a few verse that conforms with your views. Infact, thats how tithing was invented.

U're not obligated to pay tithes n offerings..
Nobody would jack ur clothes...

The poor widow paid her last dime..
U probably didn't read that..

Give unto God what belongs to him n unto Caesar wat belongs to him..

If after reading d whole bible cheesy
n u can't change..
Who can change u..
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by ebamma(m): 5:38pm On Dec 12, 2013
Millions of people lived and died before christ, without hearing his words or becoming christians,
If all our fore fathers who never heard of Jesus or believed in him are going to hell,then that means hell will need a very big plot of land to accomodate us all
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Hero10001: 5:39pm On Dec 12, 2013
mumumugu:

HE IS NOT A MUMU. I AM
This is what'm saying!
Mumumugu, Mr Olodo, LogicBoy et.al, deserved an award..
An award of ''IDIOCY''.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 5:39pm On Dec 12, 2013
Keluong:
My mistake.
I did not read completely before my previous reply.

- Are you holier than hitler?
- What is all his devil talk? I find it hard to communicate with you guys when you begin to bring up stupid and unprovable assertions.
- why cant god not kill the devil/lock him up at least so that we, his creation will have one less thing to worry about?
- what do you mean by "gbagaun"? did I make a mistake anywhere, if I did, pls correct me.
Finally, why insult me?, my previous post wasnt directed to you

Who insulted U undecided
Can't u let thingz be..
Must u respond to every comment..
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 5:39pm On Dec 12, 2013
Riclord001:
So, if a man who had been takin drugs for malaria forces a kid with a similar fate to take such drugs, then somethin must b wrong with d drug for him2 av ensured such? Can‘t sum1 push anoda in2 doin thinz dat are beneficial

Bad analogy

Your religion causes more problems than it solves
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by king94(m): 5:42pm On Dec 12, 2013
I have a problem with some 'so-called' religious ppl on this thread using insultive threads on odas. U don't need to call anyone a f.ool to pass ur point succinctly. It contradicts wot u stand for. Using abusive words won't make d person change his/her views.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Keluong(m): 5:43pm On Dec 12, 2013
Nigellus_Hosan:

U're not obligated to pay tithes n offerings..
Nobody would jack ur clothes...

The poor widow paid her last dime..
U probably didn't read that..

Give unto God what belongs to him n unto Caesar wat belongs to him..

If after reading d whole bible cheesy
n u can't change..
Who can change u..

Whats doing dis one?

what is funny?
I am not here to debate tithes.
It you conscience that caused you to lay emphasis on that.

The bible is mostly all about cherrypicking of verses from an already preset mindset
Get the main point
Get the main point.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 5:44pm On Dec 12, 2013
Logicboy03:

Bad analogy

Your religion causes more problems than it solves

What does it solve?
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 5:45pm On Dec 12, 2013
Keluong:
Whats doing dis one?

what is funny?
I am not here to debate tithes.
It you conscience that caused you to lay emphasis on that.

The bible is mostly all about cherrypicking of verses from an already preset mindset
Get the main point
Get the main point.

What is worrying U
Do i look like 'm laughing..

Don't quote me again
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Keluong(m): 5:45pm On Dec 12, 2013
Nigellus_Hosan:

Who insulted U undecided
Can't u let thingz be..
Must u respond to every comment..
Whats the meaning of "olooribooroko"?
That you are of low esteem and are used taking insults here on NL, doesnt mean everyone is okay with it
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 5:49pm On Dec 12, 2013
rationalmind:

What does it solve?

It solves the problem of poverty for pastors and religious leaders. It fills their pockets with tithes and offerings wink

Pope na enjoyment
Imam na gbaladun
-Fela
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by texanomaly(f): 5:49pm On Dec 12, 2013
Oluwaseytiano: you are still living with ur head in the sand

I find Mr Troll's statement interesting. Many, not all, of the atheist here on NL were raised as Christians, by their own admission. They have no personal evidence that this particular hypothesis has any scientific credence. How would they know? The fact that they are atheist now, does not negate the fact they spent their formative years as Christians. Mr Troll, weather you like, it or not, your current value system and morality are based on a Christian upbringing. There is no escaping it. Somewhere in your subconscious, are those values you learned as a child. How can you differentiate from whence your value system is derived.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 5:50pm On Dec 12, 2013
Keluong:
Whats the meaning of "olooribooroko"?
That you are of low esteem and are used taking insults here on NL, doesnt mean everyone is okay with it
Nigellus_Hosan:

Don't quote me again

Maybe u're shortsighted..
So 've boldened it..
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by moderatorr: 5:54pm On Dec 12, 2013
Education teaches us the laws of probability and chance. its just impossible to believe that someone can look at 7 billion homo sapiens alive on earth today and call it 'chance'.
"Even the hairs on your head are counted" - Bible
if you dont believe in God, its your problem. God is not affected.

1 Like

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 5:55pm On Dec 12, 2013
Logicboy03:

It solves the problem of poverty for pastors and religious leaders. It fills their pockets with tithes and offerings wink

Pope na enjoyment
Imam na gbaladun
-Fela

grin grin grin grin
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by onetrack(m): 5:55pm On Dec 12, 2013
texanomaly:

I find Mr Troll's statement interesting. Many, not all, of the atheist here on NL were raised as Christians, by their own admission. They have no personal evidence that this particular hypothesis has any scientific credence. How would they know? The fact that they are atheist now, does not negate the fact they spent their formative years as Christians. Mr Troll, weather you like, it or not, your current value system and morality are based on a Christian upbringing. There is no escaping it. Somewhere in your subconscious, are those values you learned as a child. How can you differentiate from whence your value system is derived.

Christian values and, to a lesser extent, Jewish values are themselves largely based on pagan Hellenistic philosophies such as the Stoics, as well as the thinking of Plato. Judaism and Christianity are not exclusively the beginning of 'modern' moral values.

3 Likes

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 5:58pm On Dec 12, 2013
moderatorr: Education teaches us the laws of probability and chance. its just impossible to believe that someone can look at 7 billion homo sapiens alive on earth today and call it 'chance'.

1 Like

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 5:59pm On Dec 12, 2013
moderatorr: Education teaches us the laws of probability and chance. its just impossible to believe that someone can look at 7 billion homo sapiens alive on earth today and call it 'chance'.

Who calls it chance?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Bishop Oyedepo To Pastors: "Don't Use Church Money To Fund Personal Lifestyle" / World's Famous Freemasons / Is My Problem Spiritual Or Medical?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.