Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem (19377 Views)

Some Common Misconceptions Nigerians Have About Other Nigerians. / Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! / Why Do Nigerians Have A Problem With Self Disclosure? Blame it on the witches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by seangy4konji: 4:41pm On Dec 13, 2013
If i learn TAPA nor or Kanuri?how i go get job?if i learn German or Portugese,chances still deh i fit see job...One guy talk about seeing Indian,Nigerians will start to Shiver,tell your Goverment to create jobs headed by Nigerians so people can work under Nigerians,if Indian man say make you come work and Nigerian man no offer job,indian go be your boss and you must respect am cos he is the reason you are still alive and Not a Nigerian.
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by Nobody: 4:42pm On Dec 13, 2013
wallflower: So the desire to learn another language so that you can expand your range of communication is a bad thing? This forum keeps getting dumber by the day.

Op's post isn't complete. Fulaman198 I think you should edit it and add embracing european culture (halloween, baby showers etc), and those usually forming british accents, esp ladies.

Russians have one of the worst english accents but they are so proud of it. A minister even went to the extent of trying to make French compulsory, but fortunately she was sacked.

When I have kids at least 3years of their childhood would be spent in the village. Not just knowing how to speak Igbo, they must be proud of who they are, where they come from.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by Nobody: 4:44pm On Dec 13, 2013
useless post.
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by txswat: 4:44pm On Dec 13, 2013
@ OP Have you ever considered the thought that learning languages gives you a competitive advantage in a market that's becoming increasingly global every minute of the day. While I think I have an idea of where you might be going with your argument I think your assumptions are incredibly exaggerated. Having "low self esteem" is not a Nigerian thing it's a human thing. By the way a lot people I have met from other countries think Nigerians are generally proud and overly confident to the point of arrogance. I think there might be an argument to be made for that as well but it does not mean MOST or ALL are.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by Nobody: 4:47pm On Dec 13, 2013
divex: Yes , Nigerian have low self esteem. Apart from all these employers who would prefer employing a dummy white man in top position in theie company and leaving the intelligent youths to suffer, the main problem with Nigerians is this thing called "naija mentality" itsssssssssssssssssssss too bad. Our way of thinking has limited us so much. In nigeria, ur hair, dressing, cloth, even height and weight defines you. Which isnt true but its all in our mentality. There is nothing abroad but our youths are rushing there because in their minds, that is where their is greener pastures all because of the way we think. so sad. Nigerians stop limiting urselves, our country is beautiful n resourceful and pregnant with so much goodies. If you want change then seize it

You've said it all.......

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by PopeXanderVII: 4:49pm On Dec 13, 2013
OP is a hypocrite. You're a Muslim! Why do you worship the Arabian Man known as muhammed? You left our African religions and went after the Arab man's religion. Who is suffering from low self esteem now?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by fubbyy(m): 4:53pm On Dec 13, 2013
Fulaman198: The constant selling out of culture in favour of European culture, the favouritism of European languages on this forum is enough to implicate how lost most Nigerians on this forum are.

I do salute a few people though like Odumchi, Macof, Bigfrancis who keep it real with their culture and are not selling out their culture in favour of another.

You see many threads for Portuguese learning, German learning, Spanish learning, etc however there is a huge lack of African language threads. What exactly does German for example have to do with Nigerian culture. This is a disgrace. Everyone wants to be like everyone else with no pride in who they are. Even Ajuran, has more pride in who he is more so than the Nigerians here.
r u a british? Y did u write in english? Contradiction,my dear tins has changed,we need 2 embrace d changes,am presently learning french,i'll benefit frm dat,our fathers didnt because dey didnt hv d opportunity
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by Eneze1(f): 4:53pm On Dec 13, 2013
speedyboi:

I am and I'm proud! But when it comes to talking about 'NIGERIANS', I cease to be one......since my way of thinking never coordinates with the way 90% of Nigerians think! undecided undecided undecided undecided

What about the other remaining 10% are they not Nigerians? and btw how does Nigerians think?
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by Nobody: 4:56pm On Dec 13, 2013
Arosa:

most foreign things are superior, we have to learn them and improve on it.

Arosa:

What foreign things exactly are superior? *note that the OP did not mention physical things
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by Arosa(m): 5:04pm On Dec 13, 2013
Promhize:

What foreign things exactly are superior?[s] *note that the OP did not mention physical things[/s]

Architecture, engineering, medicine, psychology. etc.

This was his post that I responded to:
Fulaman198:

Nigerians who are honest with themselves would understand. A lot of Nigerians think foreign things are superior
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:06pm On Dec 13, 2013
Arosa:

Absolutely not but we can learn from them.

learn what? to be greedy and to invade other peoples territories and bomb them?
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by Arosa(m): 5:07pm On Dec 13, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by Nobody: 5:19pm On Dec 13, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

A terrorist in the making
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by kwizzy(m): 5:20pm On Dec 13, 2013
Crappy post. The oops obviously has an inferiority/low mentality and shallow brain. Nawao for some ppl.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by indianin9ja(m): 5:30pm On Dec 13, 2013
As far as languages are concerned, there is no question that some are much more useful than others. As an Indian whose mother tongue was not one of the major Indian languages, I didn't even bother learning Hindi because I didn't need to and that there wasn't much important things written in Hindi not available in English. The only major Indian language I learned was Bengali and that was only because I had to to survive.

For me, comparing a major European language used around the world (English, French, Spanish and Portuguese) and an Indian language is a no-brainer. With the exception of Hindu religious texts, incomparably more knowledge and wisdom are recorded in the major languages of the West. If you want to expand your perspective, it's easy to choose to learn French over Telugu, or German over Kannada. It's not a matter of self-esteem at all, but one of practicality.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by vislabraye(m): 5:32pm On Dec 13, 2013
Fulaman198:

I just find it disgraceful to learn a language that won't benefit them especially if that country does not like them. Since when have Germans liked Nigerians? Since when have the Portuguese liked Nigerians? It just seems like major inferiority complex.

U just can't conclude Nigerians have low self esteem because they choose to learn a certain foreign language. Besides learning some foreign languages can open doors to you.
If you can speak French and Portuguese and English, doors will open to you easier than someone who can't speak @ all.
Learning foreign languages doesn't mean U are disregarding ur culture. After all, female circumcision is still part of some cultures.
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by macof(m): 5:43pm On Dec 13, 2013
funky medina: and the op posts in English !! smh
let each of us type here in our local language now? tower of babel go better pass the chaos

Ti gbo-gbo eyan ba ko l'ede won, se o ma ye e ni?
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by macof(m): 5:45pm On Dec 13, 2013
Adamskuty: Noble fulaman of the federal republic of nigeria

u are right to an extent,not all nigerians have low self esteem,nigerians suffering from this mental disease are mainly from the southern part cool,u see them claiming black jews or the lost tribe of isreal,ancient egyptians e.t.c bla! Bla! Bla grin

God save us oo

This saddens me at times.

So many so-called Yoruba people trying to distort their history.

Claiming Egypt, Mecca or Israel smh

Igbo even better, theirs is less-stupid.

For the record.

Yoruba didn't migrate from anywhere.

We were formed in South West Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by PurestBoy(m): 5:48pm On Dec 13, 2013
The mod that pushed this nonsense to frontpage is dumber than the OP. Gosh! Nairaland is becoming a wrong place to visit now.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by PurestBoy(m): 5:50pm On Dec 13, 2013
indianin9ja: As far as languages are concerned, there is no question that some are much more useful than others. As an Indian whose mother tongue was not one of the major Indian languages, I didn't even bother learning Hindi because I didn't need to and that there wasn't much important things written in Hindi not available in English. The only major Indian language I learned was Bengali and that was only because I had to to survive.

For me, comparing a major European language used around the world (English, French, Spanish and Portuguese) and an Indian language is a no-brainer. With the exception of Hindu religious texts, incomparably more knowledge and wisdom are recorded in the major languages of the West. If you want to expand your perspective, it's easy to choose to learn French over Telugu, or German over Kannada. It's not a matter of self-esteem at all, but one of practicality.

Even an Indian man is more sensible than the OP(onu)
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by macof(m): 5:56pm On Dec 13, 2013
Pope Xander VII: OP is a hypocrite. You're a Muslim! Why do you worship the Arabian Man known as muhammed? You left our African religions and went after the Arab man's religion. Who is suffering from low self esteem now?

As much as I dislike non-Arab muslims.
Fulaman seems to be an except because Much of Fulah original spirituality is lost and again he keeps himself from Arab brainwash

Ps. They don't actually worship moh, they worship his God

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by macof(m): 5:57pm On Dec 13, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
I think any Nigerian who doesnt follow Traditional Religion has low self-esteem.

True.

This is how low self esteem begins

Paganism is the true way of Life.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by macof(m): 6:00pm On Dec 13, 2013
gcfr.com:
shut up abeg. Are foreign "things" not superior?how developed is your "Nigeria"?

Nigeria is average in development still has long way to go.

However u dat condemns wat have u done to help development in Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:00pm On Dec 13, 2013
indianin9ja: As far as languages are concerned, there is no question that some are much more useful than others. As an Indian whose mother tongue was not one of the major Indian languages, I didn't even bother learning Hindi because I didn't need to and that there wasn't much important things written in Hindi not available in English. The only major Indian language I learned was Bengali and that was only because I had to to survive.

whats your mother tongue?
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by GooseBaba: 6:00pm On Dec 13, 2013
Any Nigerian that DEMONIZE his/her ancestral lineage history,culture, language or belief is a simpleton with a heavy dose of inferiority complex, rationalized stupidity soaked in the stinky juices of low self esteem..

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by macof(m): 6:01pm On Dec 13, 2013
Arosa:

Lies.

Foreign things are not superior.
this another factor that points "low self-esteem"

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by vislabraye(m): 6:02pm On Dec 13, 2013
Fulaman198:

I just find it disgraceful to learn a language that won't benefit them especially if that country does not like them. Since when have Germans liked Nigerians? Since when have the Portuguese liked Nigerians? It just seems like major inferiority complex.
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:06pm On Dec 13, 2013
macof:

As much as I dislike non-Arab muslims.
Fulaman seems to be an except because Much of Fulah original spirituality is lost and again he keeps himself from Arab brainwash

Ps. They don't actually worship moh, they worship his God

Exactly. For Fulanis, I treat them as an exception for now. (as long as they dont foresake what remaning culture they have).
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by vislabraye(m): 6:10pm On Dec 13, 2013
Please any one who says he is a traditionalist to the core should circumcise his daughter or if she's a woman, let her circumcise herself.
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by PurestBoy(m): 6:13pm On Dec 13, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Exactly. For Fulanis, I treat them as an exception for now. (as long as they dont foresake what remaning culture they have).

Mr Pagan, pls who will conduct your funeral when you die?
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by Adamskuty(m): 6:18pm On Dec 13, 2013
Promhize:

You just showed signs of Inferiority, immaturity and naivety. Disgusting!
quite shocked this is coming from the self acclaim black jews,lol grin

you dont see me claiming what i'm not or try to associate myself with people that dont even know i exist.

On the other hand,ur kind are claiming lost tribe of isrea,jews e.t.c even though you guys cant back ur claim with proof,it's quite shameful seeing those who you claim wont want to associate with ur kind .

Btw,do u have an isreal flag? grin
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by Adamskuty(m): 6:21pm On Dec 13, 2013
Pope Xander VII: OP is a hypocrite. You're a Muslim! Why do you worship the Arabian Man known as muhammed? You left our African religions and went after the Arab man's religion. Who is suffering from low self esteem now?
mumu,confused deranged hypocrite.. Ignorant lil fellow grin

who worship muhammed? Are u mad?

We worship Allah-God grin

allah is the arabic name for God grin

pls pls pls,nigga,the religion is from God almighty,the creator of heaven and earth,that's who we worship.

Btw ain't u a christian?? grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

An Emirati Singing Yoruba Praise And Worship In His Shop In Dubai. / You're Missing Alot If You've Never Dated An Akwa Ibom Girl(pictures) / Oluwo Of Iwo, Adewale Akanbi, Dancing (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.