Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,341 members, 7,815,679 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! (21068 Views)

Where Were Niger-Delta Senators & Reps When Lagos Calabar Rail Was Removed? / IST Presents 2015 Budget To Reps For 2016 / Tambuwal Pix Remains on Nat Assem Front Page/returned Back To Reps Inner Webpage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by kokoA(m): 11:34am On Dec 20, 2013
1MCN:

You didn't watch that video clip and so can never tell how courteous or cranky Jibrin spoke. Your CV for him does not help in any way. In fact, if we must accept the CV it means he was only found worthy in learning and no character by those who graduated him. Of course I don't want to embarrass you with Mrs Ngozi's CV.
What you have said here is irrelevant. No doubt they are both well educated people so comparing CVs is just childish.. From a neutral point of view, I would say the both parties lack respect for each other. NOI told them she was/is not feeling well, which is understandable considering the quantum of work that goes into budget preparation. The honourable was humane enough to excuse her, gave her prepared questions to go home with and attend to them whenever she's okay and present the answers before the committee next month, which is the right thing to do. If NOI has respect for the committee as she claimed she should have accepted this and left the room in peace knowing fully well that she had the luxury of time to give appropriate answers to their question. I see it as a sign of disrespect to start giving excuses and "becoming fit" all of a sudden after the chairman has made his ruling and struck the gavel.. I overhead her saying "you can strike your gavel but I still need to say something... Blah blah". On the part of the chairman, the statement he made about NOI only having control over the her ministry and not the house committee was totally uncalled for and childish. He should have respected her views but still stick to his decision in a less dramatic manner.

7 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by ujoinme: 11:42am On Dec 20, 2013
bk
Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by jmaine: 11:46am On Dec 20, 2013
hercules07:

Forget qualifications, the guy is a committee chairman, that is a very powerful position, though the guy maybe a third of her age, he is occupying a position of authority with the responsibility that comes with it, in sane climes, when reps talk, ministers jump.

A committee chairman doesn't require absolute nonchalant rudeness and arrogance to exercise powers.

As an administrator he has to be flexible and not be uncouthly rude.

In saner climes, legislators don't act so unruly and unrefined

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by Facosco(m): 11:53am On Dec 20, 2013
Let's face the reality the committee chairman shouldn't have made such statement to a whole minister respect they say his reciprocal since the minister honour the invitation despite her health condition that means a respect for the house if she fails to come its another story we'll be hearing from them that she was making an excuse
Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by ImperialYoruba: 11:58am On Dec 20, 2013
She is excused because of her antics in past to claim sickness as fallback to why her responses are disjointed and ambigous. She has played that tune many times and they are sick of her feigned sickness when caught in uncomfortable situations.

5 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by IGBOSON1: 11:59am On Dec 20, 2013
Symphony007: The way that commitee chairman spoke to the minister was most disgracefull. I bet that he does'nt have half her qualification. Where would he have seen her to speak to her like that if she was still world bank MD? You give a man small power and her thinks the world is at his feet. These are the kind of commitee chairmen that ministers like denzani maduake and stella oduah should appear before. The clash of ego's would cause an earthquake.

^^^In all honesty, i don't think Deziani Allison-Madueke, Stella Oduah or Arunma Otteh would have been as patient or tolerant with the uncivil legislator! His treatment of the finance minister is a disgrace! Remember Ottehs' spat with Hembe about a year ago?; some women would never tolerate being talked down to in such a rude manner.....and rightly so too!

There are ways of getting your message across without disrespecting or shouting at a federal minister......even if you feel you're in the right! It's obvious he got emotional and lost control for reasons other than what he'd want us to believe.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by 1MCN: 11:59am On Dec 20, 2013
tokunboh:

smiley I laugh.I won't call you jobless or a charlatan because I don't know what you do.

Now, this is a civil and courteous manner to disagree with other people's opinion and still make your point clear. I hope this sample is etched on the NL marble.

8 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by abacrested(f): 12:05pm On Dec 20, 2013
Dis Reps attitude makes me weep for nigeria.the woman wants to aanser the question thea and they want. Her. To go and come back!cld this. Be lazyness on the part of the reps or they want thea sitting allawee?the bigger problem is dis rats in nairaland dat can never see anytin good in dis administration.leave sentiment,dis. Woman is the. Best tin dat have hapened to. Naija,jst dat. She doesn't deserve this kinda country,may be Ghana. Wld be better. For he

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by JingoOAU(m): 12:08pm On Dec 20, 2013
we have different perceptions to things. For me, whenever any lawmaker overrule you, you have no other rights to say anything again cos whatever you says would be considere an after-thought.

However, the display of Iweala to me, was self-serving and appalling. I guess it would be morally bound on her to communicate directly to the committee on the nature of her health instead of showing a victimisation-stunt.

For me, the committee even gave her a soft-landing by allowing her to attend to all the questions in her private room and come back by january for the replies. Isn't that encouraging?

Nevertheless, since she insisted that they should allow her to make her presentation, the committee chaiman should have allow her and atleast hear all those things she want to say.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by Symphony007: 12:10pm On Dec 20, 2013
hercules07:

Forget qualifications, the guy is a committee chairman, that is a very powerful position, though the guy maybe a third of her age, he is occupying a position of authority with the responsibility that comes with it, in sane climes, when reps talk, ministers jump.
that's absolutely wrong. You are a representative not the president who appionted the minister. You can't even sack her. Her only resonsibility to you is to brief your commitee. She does not take orders from you. All over the world, no legislator talks and a minister jumps. Go and see the way u.s attorney general eric holder responds to house oversight chairman darrel isha when he speaks rudely to him. That rep had no right.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by Gamji007: 12:14pm On Dec 20, 2013
tokunboh:

smiley I laugh. If Nigeria were to be a sane country, myself and Hon. Jibrin can't even apply for the same job in the first place because he is not qualified to do what I do. I won't call you jobless or a charlatan because I don't know what you do.

Ok! My assumptions cancelled.

Thanks for not calling me jobless and a charlatan. smiley
Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by koboko69: 12:16pm On Dec 20, 2013
revolt: Mr man, they're not her phase, she's in a different arm of government, the executive, they're legislature. checks and balancing.

What is this one saying. If that's the case she shouldn't have honoured the invitation in the 1st place. Simple if u are sick go home and ans the questions and come back in 2 weeks time. I love that part where they told her its finance ministry she can be flexing muscles. See take home assignment of 50questions oooo. And she's still complaining. If she knows she could ans the questions what was the point telling the committee she is sick and just came out of respect in the 1st place. Mtcheeew. She find trouble see ammm. People just comment without common sense....off course they are the PDP e goats...always trying to turn black to white. Shioooor! Okonjo...answer the questions in writting and submit in 2weeks time....then u will be invited again when they are ready for u That's an order....! Next time learn when not to show ur silly ego.

4 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by koboko69: 12:20pm On Dec 20, 2013
Symphony007: that's absolutely wrong. You are a representative not the president who appionted the minister. You can't even sack her. Her only resonsibility to you is to brief your commitee. She does not take orders from you. All over the world, no legislator talks and a minister jumps. Go and see the way u.s attorney general eric holder responds to house oversight chairman darrel isha when he speaks rudely to him. That rep had no right.

Sir...could you plz shut up!!!

5 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by IGBOSON1: 12:23pm On Dec 20, 2013
koboko69:

Sir...could you plz shut up!!!

^^^You'd do well to take your own advice......you need it more!

9 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by koboko69: 12:36pm On Dec 20, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^You'd do well to take your own advice......you need it more!

Guy weather u like it or not. The committee chairman have the right to do what he did. Okonjo started the whole saga.if u can kindly tell me the reason why she made such a statement at 1st. She is just a fuc*king minister that can be sacked anytime. This are honourables that directs the affairs on the nation as a whole....! And not a proud minister directing just the finance of the economy

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by ochukoccna: 12:42pm On Dec 20, 2013
Having seen the video of this so called exchange, NOI should take a chill pill grin grin
The committee invited you, you claimed you were ill but your subordinates can take some questions on your behalf , they excused you to go get well soon, next thing you claim you are strong enough to answer their questions but they said they had ruled based on your initial claim and would forward 50 questions to you [and the press] to reply to them before coming back to the committee, then you suddenly insinuate they are disrespectful and both parties raise their voices embarassed embarassed embarassed
Respect begets respect
No matter how 'powerful' she thinks she thinks she is, they were elected while she was selected
The woman should take a cold shower jo! grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by karlmax2: 12:44pm On Dec 20, 2013
koboko69: .

Guy weather u like it or not. The committee chairman have the right to do what he did. Okonjo started the whole saga.if u can kindly tell me the reason why she made such a statement at 1st. She is just a fuc*king minister that can be sacked anytime. This are honourables that directs the affairs on the nation as a whole....! And not a proud minister directing just the finance of the economy
these are the kind of simpletons on nairaland that call GEJ and his ministers all sorts of name. Which weather are u talking about is it rain or sunshine oponu

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by koboko69: 12:56pm On Dec 20, 2013
karl max: these are the kind of simpletons on nairaland that call GEJ and his ministers all sorts of name. Which weather are u talking about is it rain or sunshine oponu

Tell me u have never made a simple mistake on NL before. Obun

6 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by Reptyle(m): 1:01pm On Dec 20, 2013
ochukoccna: Having seen the video of this so called exchange, NOI should take a chill pill grin grin
The committee invited you, you claimed you were ill but your subordinates can take some questions on your behalf , they excused you to go get well soon, next thing you claim you are strong enough to answer their questions but they said they had ruled based on your initial claim and would forward 50 questions to you [and the press] to reply to them before coming back to the committee, then you suddenly insinuate they are disrespectful and both parties raise their voices embarassed embarassed embarassed
Respect begets respect
No matter how 'powerful' she thinks she thinks she is, they were elected while she was selected
The woman should take a cold shower jo! grin grin

I share your opinion.

The minister probably wasn't expecting to be blind-sided by the legislators after she complained about the state of her health. She probably expected them to commend her for her decision to attend the session despite her ill-health.

Getting the unceremonious rebuff and off-hand dismissal after her effort to be there in spite of her medical circumstances obviously upset her leading to her statement.

She did not show much respect for the office of the committee chairman by her statements. The chairman seeing that the matter was getting out of hand should have also given her the opportunity to make a statement rather than allowing the session degenerate to a shouting match.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by olabukola: 1:10pm On Dec 20, 2013
koboko69:

Tell me u have never made a simple mistake on NL before. Obun
you have been defending the rep now you call it mistake. I guess you are the rep. Oya go and make a public apology.

The reps attitude yesterday was so shameful to say the least. That is why Nigeria is shameful too. And to see people supporting him on the out burst is more shameful. One even have the guts to say he is a committee chairman so he has power. If a committee chairman can flex power like the president or gov can the kill for fun.

Nigeria!!!!!
Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by Nobody: 1:16pm On Dec 20, 2013
sademola: The reps should learn to be civil!

what other form of civility do you want. She claimed she is indisposed, they didnt bother her, they told her to come back when she is better, and then she did a 360 only to claim she can handle it now. Does she think those people in the committee are indecisive like GEJ? She can control the president for all we care, the national assembly is not tied to her apron.
Thats what jibrin told her.

8 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by jmaine: 1:17pm On Dec 20, 2013

What is this one saying ? . .Kindly shut up. Thanks
Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by JideTheBlogger(m): 1:18pm On Dec 20, 2013
koboko69:

............... If you are sick go and treat your self 1st so tmr u wouldn't come and tell u were sick when u were giving figures or answering questions.

Its more like your 'oga' asking you to appear before him...on getting there ur utterances are like. Oga, I'm not feeling too well...but cos I respect u that's why came. That is totally uncalled for. WTF is that? I'm 100% sure u will be walked out of that office.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by BabaO2: 1:19pm On Dec 20, 2013
sademola: The reps should learn to be civil!
The lady should stop thinking she is the best. Who wants to know if she has been having sleepless nights. At her age, she's still acting like a child. Served her right...
Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by koboko69: 1:19pm On Dec 20, 2013
olabukola: you have been defending the rep now you call it mistake. I guess you are the rep. Oya go and make a public apology.

The reps attitude yesterday was so shameful to say the least. That is why Nigeria is shameful too. And to see people supporting him on the out burst is more shameful. One even have the guts to say he is a committee chairman so he has power. If a committee chairman can flex power like the president or gov can the kill for fun.

Nigeria!!!!!

This is the problem... people don't read to understand. They just comment without using their senses. He was referring to the typo he bolded. So what has me defending the rep got to do with ur comment...
Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by TechWalker007: 1:23pm On Dec 20, 2013
As usual, opposition bigots will queue up behind any tout from the North against anyone working for GEJ and the good of Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by koboko69: 1:23pm On Dec 20, 2013
jmaine:

What is this one saying ? . .Kindly shut up. Thanks

Its always hard for dumb people to comprehend simple facts. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by cyril10(m): 1:24pm On Dec 20, 2013
May be they are angry that our national cake is not flowing the way it used to. They are angry Okonjo Iweala is not releasing public fund for them to share the way it used to be.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by osaaaaa: 1:26pm On Dec 20, 2013
Itoroetti :
Bunch of educated illiterate.
They feel the hon minister will be affraid to answer their question.
Did u read the text atall?pls its good to be objective next time.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by Sekpeagah: 1:26pm On Dec 20, 2013
madam ngozi go n revive our economy fr it to b among d strongest in africa.leav our honourable members.all we need is for d our enonomy to b vibrant so dat our unemployed youths wi hav jobs n so on

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by TechWalker007: 1:27pm On Dec 20, 2013

State one "good thing" your said honorable has done.
And you call the finance of the economy "just"?

You should go back to class, ASUU's strike has been called off!

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala To Reps - When You Invite Ministers, Treat Them With Respect! by tivereegega(m): 1:32pm On Dec 20, 2013
WHAT A NICE CV, HOPE TO AV SOM IN 4YRS TIME. AT LEAST AV BEN ABLE TO ACHIVE ABOUT FIVE OF WHAT HE ACHIVE.
JUST APPLY FOR Swiss Business School,
Zurich, Switzerland PLS PALS PUT ME IN UR PRAYERS.

TNKS............

Abdulmumin attended Army Primary
School Janguza, Kano (1983 – 1986)
before moving to Command Children
School Jaji, Kaduna (1986 – 1988). He
had his secondary education at Science
Secondary School Abaji, Abuja
(1989-1992) and Bwari Secondary School,
Abuja (1992-1994)
He later proceeded for his higher
education and bagged a Bachelor’s
degree in Political Science at the
University of Abuja, Nigeria in 1999; M.sc
in International Affairs and Diplomacy at
Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria in
2003 and PhD in International Relations at
the University of Abuja Nigeria in 2009.
He also attended London Business School
2009, Harvard Business School 2010,
International Business House, London
2009 and European Institute of Business
Administration
INSEAD France, 2009 where he
graduated and obtained various
certificates in General Management,
Global Economy Crisis, Negotiation,
Competitive Decision and Deal Process,
Comprehensive Leadership Development,
International oil Trading (IBH) and
Telecommunications Strategy and
Marketing. He's presently an MBA student
at the SBS - Swiss Business School,
Zurich, Switzerland 2012 to date.
Abdulmumin is an alumnus of London and
Harvard Business School.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Jumoke Akinjide Returns N10m To EFCC / Military Claims On Coup Plot Not Correct – Akande / Governor Wike And Wife Share A Kiss As He Emerges Silverbird Man Of The Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.