Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,085 members, 7,814,755 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:06 PM

Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men - Sports (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men (24264 Views)

How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold / Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination / Beijing 2008 Olympics - Football Event (Falcons) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by DrKitaun(m): 3:34pm On Aug 19, 2008
Sagamite:

1.Apam: Good defender. I used to think he was a right back. Was definitely the man in defence against Holland. I trust him but I think someone else is eclipsing him in defence now.

2.Kaita: Ooooooooooooooo Yes! Walai I swear when the team wakes up in the morning and the dietist has given instructions of the kind of power food the team should eat, Kaita is excluded from this diet. They take him to a special and hidden room for his own special diet: Engine Oil! This is poured down his throat. But Oga Kaita, you no fit shoot o.

3.Ajilore: Had a good and consistent game as usual. Don't know what caused his injury but I was praying he did not get a second yellow. Hope to see him in the final.

4.Nsofor: Don't know what happened. Is he fatigued as he has played all games? Was very quiet in the first half. He is the firestarter of the team and I was hoping he would carry the team. He came alive in the last 15 mins. Please get a good rest as you are the man in the final. Not a bad game today but kind of used to more from him.

5.Okoronkwo: Still don't get it. He was not as horrible as he was in the first 3 games but still not what I would expect from a right winger/midfielder. Surely Odems can play here and let this guy have a sit.

6.Obasi: Quiet in the first half but came alive in the second. Silky player. Like him a lot. What a goal for the 3rd? Good game, good game. More can be done but you are the real deal and I have no doubt you would deliver.

7.Odemwingie: Yes man. Brings urgency to the team. Made sure Nsofor was not missed when the guy was missing in action. Showed Okoronwko how to play on the right and showed Promise how to do one-touches. But Oga no try be like Henry again with that one wey you take from the left wey you wan place for top corner of goal post but went to the crowd.

1. Apam RB ? never ! he was just used as a make-shift RB in absence of Odiah  cool

2. I tire for Kaita o . . . shocked

3. are u sure Ajilore is eligible for the next match ?

4. are u sure u are not under-rating this dude's performence . . . NSOFOR IS THE BEST PLAYER IN THAT TEAM !!! . . . DO You REALIZE THAT THE WHOLE OF THAT TEAM IS BUILT AROUND HIM ?  undecided

5. Sagamite, if u were a chick, I would request to have your hand in marriage right about now  wink  grin

6. yes he is very good, has learnt to be less selfish, but atimes plays stupidly, but then don't they all  undecided  grin

7. Osaze as good as he is PLAYS STUPIDLY CASUAL ATIMES, what explains a player wanting to always dribble ? when woukld our players realise that u need to dribble when u are in tight corners ?  undecided
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Sagamite(m): 3:35pm On Aug 19, 2008
I would go for:

Ejide

Odiah                              Yobo                                        Adeleye                          Taiwo

Kaita                                
                                                                         Mikel

Odemwingie                                                                 Nsofor

Uche

Yakubu

Bench:
Enyeama
Etafia
Shittu
Apam
Ayila
Lukman Haruna
Kalu Uche
Obasi
Utaka
Martins
Anichebe
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by DrKitaun(m): 3:41pm On Aug 19, 2008
Ejide shocked lipsrsealed
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Ibime(m): 3:44pm On Aug 19, 2008
^^^I prefer Ejide to Enyeama. Ejide's style is very European. Enyeama is good though, but no good at claiming crosses. This is what gives Ejide the edge for me.

3-0 to Argentina. The final will be bloodfire!

@ Sagamite:

Apam is no good. Clumsy defender always giving away freekicks. We can do better, I'm sure.

Phock Yakubu and Utaka. The old men need to go and rest.

I can never put Kaita ahead of Ayila/Ajilore/Obodo/Eromoigbe/Olofinjana.

As for Nsofor, I cannot play him on the wing. Either I play him behind the striker or keep him on the bench. He has dissapointed on that left wing for the last two ACN's. Even against Ivory Coast, he did his best work behind the striker. Today they put him back on the left wing and he was nowhere to be seen.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Ibime(m): 3:46pm On Aug 19, 2008
Brazil need to go home. They are embarassing themselves. Ronaldinho should just retire.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Olaolufred(m): 3:51pm On Aug 19, 2008
It is Nigeria-Argentina final.

Arg. 3 Bra. 0 is the score line.

It is the time for revenge.

Not us, but God will avenge us of the Holland 2005 robbery.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by DrKitaun(m): 3:52pm On Aug 19, 2008
anyone that doesnt just accept the fact that Yakubu is the most senior player upfront in that team is due to see his shrink  tongue

and I wonder which coach would not want to have Utaka in his team, either as a starter or as a sub . . .he is always refreshingly unique in his approach, scores goals, turns in defenders, pacy . . .what more could u ask for ?

ENYEAMA IS THE BEST GOAL-KEEPER IN AFRICA no debate !  cool
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Ibime(m): 4:04pm On Aug 19, 2008
Dr Kitaun:

anyone that doesnt just accept the fact that Yakubu is the most senior player upfront in that team is due to see his shrink  tongue

Dr Kit, why you want fight na? Take it easy.

Just like you said, Yak is the most senior. Old age dey worry am.

Such short memories - I remember in Ghana 2008 where everybody was complaining that Yak is either pregnant or has eaten too much pounded yam.  grin

Super Eagles team should be overhauled every 7 years because of the dubious age of the players. Harry Redknapp has said that he wonders why Utaka cannot work the wings effectively. Na old age dey worry am. Although he is a very good player sha. I just don't know how long he got left. He can ride the bench while the youngsters like Obasi, Uche, Nsofor and Odemwingie do their thing.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Olaolufred(m): 4:12pm On Aug 19, 2008
My Colleagues on Nairaland, I really appreciate the supports given so far to our Country, Siasia and
The DREAM TEAM. A step further to our GOLD. By GOD'S GRACE we will be there.

However, i appeal to the critics to always look flexible, because critical people easily contacts cataract.
They then continue to falter on so many issues they should have known better before.

Let us leave SUPER SELECTION for now.

I beleive we should now start to launch a crusade for SIASIA as our NATIONAL TEAM handler.
When he gets there, we will be sure of having the Team we last saw in the year 1994.

Note that, it is only when you have the right people in the right place that we can go all the way.

I will definitely post a Topic on SIASIA AS SUPER EAGLE'S COACH- THE WAY TO ELDORADO.
Please vote massively for this able Man.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Sagamite(m): 4:14pm On Aug 19, 2008
Kitaun, Nsofor was nowhere in the first half. Odemwingie carried the team during this period. Nsofor was not even there to help in attacks during the first half when we were counter attacking. That was one of the reason Odems tried that Henry-move-gone-wrong.

I no be chick but if you get one for your side wey you wan hook me up with, I no go run o. I be phine bwoy!  grin

Ejide was faultless in ANC 2008. Definitely the best we have at the moment. Enyeama is also good, so good for SE.

Yakubu? So you are one of those abi? Oya go and get your gloves becaue I no go gree. By far the best Naija striker. Stats says 1 goal in every 2 games for Naija, who wan steal that in present SE?

You wan do ojoro.

Ibime,

Apam is good o, he stole my heart against Holland. I would admit I have only seen him in 3 games. But he is fourth in my pecking order anyway.

Eromo-kini, abegi, one of those clowns Vogts took to ANC. I put Kaita there because he is a no efizzy defensive midfielder. Just gets the ball from the opposition and passes. All the others you named have a tendency to think that they are the illegitimate son of maradona sometimes. I will leave that thought to Mikel who is better than Ajilore and can also be very defensive when the heavily attack-minded sidebacks I chose (Odiah and Taiwo) go forward.

You are right about Nsofor, I just couldn't find a substitute for that left side.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Ibime(m): 4:26pm On Aug 19, 2008
Sagamite:

Ejide was faultless in ANC 2008. Definitely the best we have at the moment.

My opinion exactly. . . .to be honest, never seen such accomplished performance from a Nigerian goalkeeper. . . .

Sagamite:

Yakubu? So you are one of those abi? Oya go and get your gloves becaue I no go gree. By far the best Naija striker. Stats says 1 goal in every 2 games for Naija, who wan steal that in present SE?

No doubt Yak is good. . . but his time is coming to an end. . . c'mon, dude been playing Naija league since 1997. . . he must be at least 33. . . . I do not see him being 100% fit for 2010. . . .Everton fans been wondering what he has been eating over the summer if the football phone-ins on BBC radio 5 are anything to go by.

Sagamite:

You are right about Nsofor, I just couldn't find a substitute for that left side.

Nsofor is great in a central forward role. . . but God knows how many times he pissed me off when he played on the left-wing. . . . Obasi or Odemwingie can take the left-wing.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by DrKitaun(m): 4:31pm On Aug 19, 2008
@Sagamite

would u rather have Yakubu that is more prolific or Obagol that we dont even know what he is doing, I will pick YAK above all, even if he appeared pregnant at ACN JUST LIKE OTHERS  grin

Ejide was good at the ACN, ENYEAMA WOULD ALWAYS BE BETTER !!!  tongue

let Uche be . . .he is the best striker we have now

Nsofor, as I have said reflects the team and how they tend to perform . . .if he plays well, they do, if not they will be clueless  . . .

Nsofor was nowhere to be found in the 1st half  
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Fadajasi(m): 8:54am On Aug 20, 2008
Hmm
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Sagamite(m): 5:16pm On Aug 20, 2008
Dr Kitaun:

@Sagamite

would u rather have Yakubu that is more prolific or Obagol that we don't even know what he is doing, I will pick YAK above all, even if he appeared pregnant at ACN JUST LIKE OTHERS  grin

Ejide was good at the ACN, ENYEAMA WOULD ALWAYS BE BETTER !!!  tongue

let Uche be . . .he is the best striker we have now

Nsofor, as I have said reflects the team and how they tend to perform . . .if he plays well, they do, if not they will be clueless  . . .

Nsofor was nowhere to be found in the 1st half  

Kitaun,

That Yakubu stuff was suppose to be directed at Ibime. I am in full support of Yakubu as our number one striker.

Ejide was faultless. Don't change what is not broken for something you know breaks down sometimes.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by McKren(m): 6:18pm On Aug 20, 2008
Sagamite

Do you honestly believe that the current Mikel we know (especially the one that could not create chances at Nations cup) is a better attacking midlfield player than Ajilore?? I think we should even pay closer attention to Ekpo.

For me I think the attack line we are using at the olympics should be used for 2010 world cup.
My prefered changes will be introducing Yobo, Taiwo, Odiah/nwaneri and then Enyeama in goal

I am not in favour of any attack line that does not include Ogbuke Obasi and Nsofor. Nsofor is the power house while Ogbuke is the skillful player with creativity. At least for now.

The frontline of Otaka, Yakubu, Uche, Osaze did  not do it in Nations cup because they lacked creativity.

My first 11 goes like that.

Ejide

Odiah/Nwaneri                                       Yobo                                 Adeleye                                        Taiwo

Kaita/Ayila
                                                                                             Ajilore/Ekpo

Okonkwo/Utaka                                                                                                                                     Nsofor
                                                             Obasi                   Osaze
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by opokonwa(m): 7:28am On Aug 21, 2008
Predict the Nigeria - Argentina match result on Saturday.
I see a 2-1 in favour of the Argies or a surprise.
Just being objective not unpatriotic. If you have liver, kindly post your own prediction.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Sagamite(m): 8:43am On Aug 21, 2008
Mckren, the reason for my selection of Mikel is that my attacking fuel is coming from the wings (Odems, Nsofor and the attack-minded fullbacks) hence the team would need a tight defence in the middle.

Mikel can also blast any loose ball that is poorly cleared into the middle.

And what the hell are you talking about? Mikel was our best player in ANC. And this is coming from someone that does not really like him that much.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by McKren(m): 10:54am On Aug 21, 2008
I was a fan of Mikel in 2005/2006

If am not a fan anymore then you should know that something has gone wrong with his football. It is not personal, its just his professional attitude.

For now he does not do a lot and I dont think he merits Nigerian shirt. There should obviously be a chance for him when he prooves himself though.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Sagamite(m): 11:47am On Aug 21, 2008
Actually, I was referring to myself.

I am the one that is not a fan of Mikel.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Olumide7(m): 12:45pm On Aug 21, 2008
So far Nigeria doesn't have a single medal in the olympics, our only consolation will be to win the Gold!!!!!!!! not Silver
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by dayokanu(m): 10:29pm On Aug 21, 2008
Which Mikel? It had better be Mikel Arteta. Cos no objective person can give Mikel a starting shirt ahead of Ajilore. Ajilore and Kaita played what I have not seen in modern day football a 2-man midfield and they did it alone. Most coaches use 4-5-6 midfielders but in this team we have 2. Those 2 are miles better than any stupid Mikel.

If i were the coach, I wont allow Mikel in any stadium Nigeria is playing again

Naija team.

Ejide

Odiah                                     Apam                             Adeleye                           Taiwo

Ayila                               Kaita

Osaze                                                                                                          Ajilore/Rabiu Ibrahim               

Ike Uche                          Nsofor.

Dont tell me my team is young and inexperienced. The experienced team we took to Ghana what did they do for us? Lose to 10 men
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by McKren(m): 2:00am On Aug 22, 2008
DayoKanu

I second you. I think we should allow these boys graduate into super eagles immediately and prepare them for World cup 2010.
(And this is regardless of whether we win gold or silver on saturday)

I don't see any justification to hanging to the ANC 2008 players who were so sluggish and lacked any creativity.

Especially in midfield and attack, and probably going by Kanu's attitude to these boys may be he is even accepting the posibility.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by dayokanu(m): 10:09pm On Aug 22, 2008
The core of the Brazil team that went to 1998 world cup were the same set that went toAtlanta. They reached the world cup finals.
The Ronaldo, R.Carlos, Rivaldo, bebeto Same with Argentina. Crespo, lopez, Ortega
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Sagamite(m): 5:21am On Aug 23, 2008
Can this slowpoke called Okonkwo start playing left back instead of defensive midfield?  angry

Stupid liability to the team.  angry
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Sagamite(m): 5:24am On Aug 23, 2008
Adefemi is doing what Okoronkwo should be doing. Making runs that would force the Argentines to defend deep instead of defending at half way line.

Whilst Okoronwo has no intentions except to sit at the half way line and pass the ball backwards.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Sagamite(m): 5:39am On Aug 23, 2008
This defence need to hold on to the ball until someone sweats to come and get it from them.

They pass too early without the Argentines breaking a sweat.

Make them work in the baking sun.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Sagamite(m): 5:51am On Aug 23, 2008
Now someone please tell me what Isaac Promise has done in 45mins.

The 3 moronteers are on the pitch: Okonkwo, Okoronkwo and Isaac.

Okonkwo is useless.

Please let me see Obasi, Ambrose and Anichebe on the pitch.

Adeleye well done. Can't help but see how you rush across to the left to defend.

Apam good game.

Kaita wa she ire (e go better for you).

Odems well done.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Ibime(m): 5:56am On Aug 23, 2008
Okoronkwo is a bonafide skillachi!

Heir apparent to Kanu. He will do very well in his favoured central position. Nobody in the team possesses his intelligence, touch or ball control, talkless of vision.

Good tactics by SiaSia to shackle Messi. Okonkwo has improved in that respect. He cannot attack like Adefemi otherwise Messi will kill us on the counterattack. He is playing to SiaSia's strict instructions.

I can understand Isaac Promise in the team. He is more disciplined than Obasi.

Expecting more from Nsofor.

Kaita and Ajilore are playing very well. Even Apam.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Sagamite(m): 5:59am On Aug 23, 2008
Ibime:

Okoronkwo is a bonafide skillachi!

You were supposed to have only one shot of that ogogoro, not the whole bottle. grin grin grin

Please let Odems play on the right or bring Ekpo in.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Fadajasi(m): 5:59am On Aug 23, 2008
Thank God we already have a bronze in long jump.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Ibime(m): 6:00am On Aug 23, 2008
Sagamite:

You were supposed to have only one shot of that ogogoro, not the whole bottle. grin grin grin

Please let Odems play on the right or bring Ekpo in.

^^Tell that to my brother who just called me to say that Okoronkwo is really impressing him.

On top of that, Okoronkwo is tactically disciplined even though right-wing is not his natural position.

Odemwingie does not have that discipline and loses the ball too much to play right wing in this particular game.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Sagamite(m): 6:01am On Aug 23, 2008
Was Requilme on that pitch?

Kai, Kaita (and Ajilore to a lesser extent) that fura dey nunu good for you blood stream o. Requilme was the fura.  grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). / Barcelona Must Pay €14 Million To Terminate Luis Suarez Contract / Osimhen Sent Off As Napoli Lose To Roma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.