Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,023 members, 7,814,500 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:51 PM

Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation (27960 Views)

Ex-President Jonathan's Message & Wishes To Muslims / House Where Lugard Signed Amalgamation Of Northern Southern Nigeria. -PICS / President Jonathan's Message Ahead Of Tomorrows Election. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by jmaine: 7:26pm On Dec 31, 2013
DonColz1: Happy New Year Mr President.

But your report card are as follows:
* Promises - A1
* Project delivery - F9

What an inconsistent fellow. Let me replay your post on a thread you created below.

DonColz1: For putting an end to ASUU strike and other new development in the Nigeria,[size=16pt]I will give GEJ 60%[/size]
Add urs...

https://www.nairaland.com/newpost?topic=1573489&post=20548868

[size=14pt]Never knew a 60% = F9 grin[/size]

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by omusiliyu(m): 7:27pm On Dec 31, 2013
Good write-up from Gulak and Abati no more division. Some people thought of sleepin in Nigeria today and wake up in Arewa Rep, Biafra Rep, Odua Rep, Ijaw rep and Niger-Delta Rep, it wont happen because the almagamation of Northern and southern protectorate is a blessin to Nigerians
Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by Pain(m): 7:28pm On Dec 31, 2013
bigtt76:

* Committee Setup Skills - A1
* Corruption Hob-Nobbing (Theory and Practical) - A1
* Home Management (Party & Family) - A9

Hehehehe ...abeg o na joke o! grin

Hmm... Talking about Committees. Did you know that the animal we call "CAMEL" is actually a "HORSE" designed by a Commitee?
Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by mike404(m): 7:29pm On Dec 31, 2013
SO PROPHET BUHARI IS NOT GONNA WISH NIGERIANS HAPPY NEW YEAR Oooops I FORGOT THAT MUSLIMS CELEBRATED THEIR NEW YEAR [HIJIRA] LAST NOVEMBER
Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by DAVEZONIGLTD: 7:37pm On Dec 31, 2013
yussuff: Mr failure. We'll love to hear more of your promises in 2014. More committee's. More privatisation. More banning. Happy new year to you sir.
so you want to hear from mr failure? As for me and my home, we shall always hear from MR SUCCESS.
Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by dokunbam(m): 7:38pm On Dec 31, 2013
Happy new year to you Mr President

also to all to all my Nairalanders

It will be a prosperous year
Amen
Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by Emmyk(m): 7:40pm On Dec 31, 2013
I hope Posterity are gonna see this message by then.

Just like we are seeing 1950s own now...
Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by Gidaheights(m): 7:41pm On Dec 31, 2013
Born in May 92, I tell all that cares to listen this is the best president I've ever seen although there is no road to my village.
Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by ocelot2006(m): 7:47pm On Dec 31, 2013
DonColz1: Happy New Year Mr President.

But your report card are as follows:
* Promises - A1
* Project delivery - F9

Power: New+refurbished power stations, expanded transmission facilities, the gas revolution, power generated doubled and increasing

Agriculture: elimination of fertilizer Mafia, increase produce output, national food security ensured, minister named Forbes Man of the Year

Economy: grows at 6% or more, choice investment destination thanks to quick ROI, booming middle class with higher purchasing power, Nigerian economy now LARGEST in AFRICA, and one of the fastest in the WORLD.

AVIATION: All airports TOTALLY refurbished to meet international standards, Nigerian named ICAO chairman

ROADS: Major Federal highways long abandoned noq fixed, cutting down transit time.

RAILWAY: Long abandoned rail projects revitalize d and expanded on. more goods and pax now hauled via rail.

SeCURITY: Still an issue though, BUT armed forces and intelligence agencies better equipped with new kits and an expanded budget. More sophisticated platform now built locally (UAVs, gunboats, firearms, APCs, etc). Results? Total elimination of terror bombing attacks and curbing and repelling of BH raids up north.

ENERGY: Passing of the Local Content Bill thus allowing for more participation of local firms in the upstream sector of the oil and gas industry. Exposure of the subsidy scam, partial withdrawal of subsidy and reinvestment of intended funds in repairing civil infrastructure across the nation (SURE-P).

Now, care to explain to us how GEJ scores an F9? Go on, I'm waiting.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by nerodenero: 7:49pm On Dec 31, 2013
Gidaheights: Born in May 92, I tell all that cares to listen this is the best president I've ever seen although there is no road to my village.
gringringrin
Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by nerodenero: 7:49pm On Dec 31, 2013
Gidaheights: Born in May 92, I tell all that cares to listen this is the best president I've ever seen although there is no road to my village.
Talking about being sarcasticgringringrin
Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by micton(m): 7:54pm On Dec 31, 2013
Mr President don try but corruption too much for Nigeria
Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by Prowizy2(m): 7:56pm On Dec 31, 2013
Picture the letter or it didn't happen
Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by guiddoti: 7:56pm On Dec 31, 2013
Mr. Presido. Where is my sure p promise?

Wetin we go take celebrate the centenary jubilation of our beloved nation. Mr president, you own me my national cake.
Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by Youngchukky245(m): 8:00pm On Dec 31, 2013
L.M Ayedun..:
[/quote]TEXT OF A NEW YEAR MESSAGE TO THE NATION FROM PRESIDENT GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN

Dear Compatriots,

I greet and felicitate with you all as we enter the year 2014 which promises to be a momentous one for our country for several reasons, including the fact that it is also the year of our great nation’s centenary celebrations. I join you all in giving thanks to God Almighty for guiding us and our beloved nation safely through all the challenges of the outgoing year to the beginning of 2014.
Which is even going to be as twice as challenging...this one APC don go sign Tambuwal.

L.M Ayedun..:
Exactly 100 years ago today, on January 1, 1914, the British Colonial authorities amalgamated what was then the separate Protectorates of Southern Nigeria and Northern Nigeria, giving birth to the single geopolitical entity known as Nigeria. For us therefore, today is not just the beginning of a new year, but the end of a century of national existence and the beginning of another. It is a moment for sober reflection and for pride in all that is great about Nigeria.
Amalgating this country was a failed move...Hassan or Musa can never truly see Peter or Paul as a brother and for that moment of sober reflection no even talk near Buhari

L.M Ayedun..:
Whatever challenges we may have faced, whatever storms we may have confronted and survived, Nigeria remains a truly blessed country, a country of gifted men and women who continue to distinguish themselves in all spheres of life, a country whose diversity remains a source of strength. We pay tribute today, as always to our founding fathers and mothers, and all the heroes and heroines whose toil and sweat over the century made this country what it is today.
Respect to our heroes and heroines but talking bout surviving challenges,the real challenges are yet to come if you doubt me;you have every right to verify from Tinubu

L.M Ayedun..:
As I noted, a few days ago, the amalgamation of 1914 was certainly not a mistake but a blessing. As we celebrate 100 years of nationhood, we must resolve to continue to work together as one, united people, to make our country even greater.
For Buhari's mind this paragraph go be like"YOUR FATHER NYASH"

L.M Ayedun..:
I assure you that our administration remains fully committed to the progressive development of our country and the consolidation of peace, unity and democratic governance in our fatherland. Despite several continuing domestic and global challenges, for us in Nigeria, the year 2013 witnessed many positive developments which we will strive to build upon in 2014.
Well I must say Jonah's admin has really tried but if only that you will be relentless in tackling boko harram just the way you tackle open letters,then your admin will be the best so far.
THANKS
AND
HAPPY NEW YEAR MY PRESIDO

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by Netz4(f): 8:06pm On Dec 31, 2013
:

Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by bist: 8:06pm On Dec 31, 2013
[size=15pt][/size]Speach or no speach, what wud be wud be..
Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by efsy(m): 8:08pm On Dec 31, 2013
Mr President,we thank you for your usual messages in 2013 that full of empty promises.To be frank with you,you can never disappoint us in 2014 because we don't expect miracle from you.My father will say, 'you can't give what you don't have' .The truth is that you've done your best,only that your best is not enough.
Happy New Year sir.God bless Federal Republic of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by cap28: 8:08pm On Dec 31, 2013
Yes 1 January 2014 will mark the 100th year since the amalgamation of the two british protectorates northern and southern Nigeria, but in whose interest was this amalgamation created - the numerous ethnic groups within it or the british empire?

Here's what former attorney general of Nigeria, Richard Akinjide had to say about the amalgamation of 1914:

The Amalgamation Of Nigeria Was A Fraud

by

Richard Akinjide, QC, SAN
July 9, 2000

Nigeria is a very complex country. Our problems did not start yesterday. It started about 1884. Lord Lugard came here about 1894 and many people did not know that Major Lugard was not originally employed by the British Government. He was employed by companies. He was first employed by East Indian Company, by the Royal East African Company and then by the Royal Niger Company. It was from the Royal Niger Company that he transferred to the British government. Unless you know this background, you will not know the root causes of our problems. The interest of the Europeans in Africa and indeed Nigeria was economic and it's still economic. They have no permanent friends and no permanent interests. Neither their interests nor their friends are permanent. Nigeria was created as British sphere of interests for business. In 1898, Lugard formed the West African Frontier Force initially with 2,000 soldiers and that was the beginning of our problems.

Anybody who wants to know the root cause of all the coups and our present problems, and who does not know the evolution Nigeria would just be looking at the matter superficially. Our problems started from that time. And Lugard was what they called at that time imperialist. A number of British soldiers, businessmen, politicians were very patriotic. But I must warn you; they were operating in the interest of their country. Lugard became a Lord.

Nigerians, too, should operate in the interest of their country. When Lugard formed the West African Frontier Force with 2,000 troops, about 90 percent of them were from the North mainly from the Middle belt. And his dispatches to London between that time and January 1914 are extremely interesting. Lugard came here for a purpose ant that purpose was British interest. Between 1898 and 1914, he sent a number of dispatches to London which led to the Amalgamation of 1914.

The Order - in - Council was drawn up in November 1913 signed and came into force in January 1914. In those dispatches, Lugard said a number of things, which are at the root causes of yesterday and today's problems.

The British needed the Railway from the North to the Coast in the interest of British business. Amalgamation of the South (not of the people) became of crucial importance to British business interest. He said the North and the South should be amalgamated. Southern Nigeria came into existence on January 1900 ... At the Centenary of the fall of Benin, I wrote a piece in a number of papers but before I published the piece, I sent a copy to the Oba of Benin. So when Benin was conquered in 1896, it made the creation of the Southern Nigerian protectorate possible on January 1, 1900.

If you remember, Sokoto was not conquered until 1903. So, there was no question of Nigeria at that time. After the conquest of Sokoto, they were able to create the northern Nigerian protectorate. Lugard went full blast and created what was to be known as the protectorate of Northern Nigeria. What is critical and important are the reasons Lugard gave in his dispatches. They are as follows: He said the North is poor and they have no resources to run the protectorate of the North. That they have no access to the sea; that the South has resources and have educated people.

The first Yoruba lawyer was called to the Bar in 1861. Therefore, because it was not the policy of the British Government to bring the taxpayers money to run the protectorate, it was in the interest of the British business and the British taxpayer that there should be Amalgamation. But what the British amalgamated was the Administration of the North and South and not the people of the North and the South, that is one of the root causes of the problems of Nigeria and the Nigerians.

When the amalgamation took effect, the British government sealed off the South from the North. And between 1914 andl960, that's a period of 46 years, the British allowed minimum contact between the North and South because it was not in the British interest that the North be allowed to be polluted by the educated South. That was the basis on which we got our independence in 1960 when I was in the parliament. I entered Parliament on December 12, 1959. When the North formed a political party, the northern leaders called it Northern Peoples Congress (NPC). They didn't call it Nigeria Peoples Congress. That was in accordance with the dictum and policies of Lugard. When Aminu Kano formed his own party, it was called Northern Elements Progressive Union (NEPU) not Nigerian Progressive Union.

It was only Awolowo and Zik who were mistaken that there was anything called Nigeria. Infact, the so-cared Nigeria created in 1914 was a complete fraud. It was created not in the interest of Nigeria or Nigerians but in the interest of the British. And what were the structures created? The structures created were as follows: Northern Nigeria was to represent England; Western Nigeria like Wales; Eastern Nigeria was to be like Scotland. In the British structure, England has permanent majority in the House of Commons. There was no way Wales can ever dominate England, neither can Scotland dominate Britain. But they are very shrewd. They would allow a Scottish man to become Prime Minister. They would allow a Welsh man to become Prime Minister in London but the fact remains that the actual power rested in England.

That was what Lugard created in Nigeria, a permanent majority for the North. The population figure of the North is also a fraud. Infact, a British Colonial Civil Servant who was involved in the fraud was trying to expose it but he was never allowed to publish it. The analysis is as follows: If you look at the map of West Africa, starting from Mauritania to Cameroun and take a population of each country as you move from the coast to the Savannah, the population decreases. Or conversely, as you come from the Desert to the Coast, right from Mauritania to the Cameroun, the population increases. The only exception throughout that zone is Nigeria. Nigeria is the only zone whereby you go from coast to the North, the population increases and you come from the North to the Coast, the population decreases. Well, geographers, anthropologists and population experts, draw your conclusions, Someone has told me the last population census was done by computer, what a nonsense.

http://www.unitedijaw.com/amalgamation.htm

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by bist: 8:09pm On Dec 31, 2013
Speech or no speech, what would be would be.

Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by IAMBREEZY: 8:12pm On Dec 31, 2013
Ok we have heard
NEXT
Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by drauj(m): 8:15pm On Dec 31, 2013
As usual . . . empty promises . . . I hope he gets d message
Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by MrMoney55: 8:17pm On Dec 31, 2013
The president johnathan is the best we have so far better than obasanjo who talks like a boy scout than a general he claims to be let encourage our president happy new year brothers and sisters in the house
Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by Dee60: 8:19pm On Dec 31, 2013
Nigerian politicians may be divided along 'APC' and 'PDP' lines, but Nigeria remains ONE. The true Nigerians are for the unity of the country. We pray that the NEXTGEN breed of politicians will arise and take over from our current crop of failed politicians, whose number one achievement is perhaps letter writing, back and forth!

Let the NEXTGEN arise in 2014. They do not seek power for selfish reasons. They do not want to rule at any cost. They want to lead. They want to change our culture. They want to seek for the glory of our nation to be restored. They seek God in truth and they love their fellowmen in deed.

Arise, NEXTGEN leaders.

Nigeria will rise again.

Happy new year in advance.
Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by Ilaje44(m): 8:22pm On Dec 31, 2013
yunglykmine: Nigeria remains a truly blessed
country.

God bless the Yoruba people.
God bless the Igbo people.
God bless the Hausa people.
God bless the Okun people.
We are ONE, we are Nigerians.

God bless GEJ.

Long live Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Aburo, no sheating (cheating) o. Haha, Okun chop two blessings as Yoruba people and again as Okun. This is not fair! Ko buru sha, adura temi naa ni wipe, ki Eledumare bukun orilede Naijiriya. Ki o bukun gbogbo awon ahon ati eya kan-an-kan ni Naijiriya. Ki o bukun awa Yoruba, agaga dede awa oma Ilaje.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by Anniettieufia(m): 8:25pm On Dec 31, 2013
Our problem in Nigeria is not lack of knowledge
But,
wrong or less use of Our motto ;

Peace ,Unity and Progress .
No peace, No unity, No progress .
Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by Ryda(m): 8:28pm On Dec 31, 2013
guttentag: I don already buy 80litres of fuel incase the dude increase fuel price AGAIN ooO

Na true oOo

Subsideen.
Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by rbjimoh: 8:33pm On Dec 31, 2013
[color=#990000][/color]
yunglykmine: Nigeria remains a truly blessed
country.

God bless the Yoruba people.
God bless the Igbo people.
God bless the Hausa people.
God bless the Okun people.
We are ONE, we are Nigerians.

God bless GEJ.
Long live Federal Republic of Nigeria.
. What tribe are OKUNs? Not Yorubas?
Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by Ryda(m): 8:34pm On Dec 31, 2013
L.M Ayedun..:

Whatever challenges we may have faced,

Bokoharam

whatever storms we may have confronted and survived,

Fights in House of rep and Subsidy

Nigeria remains a truly blessed country,

God really dey try for 9geria

We pay tribute today, as always to our founding fathers and mothers, and all the heroes and heroines whose toil and sweat over the century made this country what it is today.

Bokoharam and those baskard politicians no follow o

As I noted, a few days ago, the amalgamation of 1914 was certainly not a mistake but a blessing. As we celebrate 100 years of nationhood, we must resolve to continue to work together as one, united people, to make our country even greater.

But seriously speaking Oga Jona nah now u wan make d country greater?
Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by akposking(m): 8:37pm On Dec 31, 2013
Whaoooo the president is .....
Re: Jonathan's Message to Nigerians on New Year & New Century Of Amalgamation by Odward(m): 8:39pm On Dec 31, 2013
Pls is dis a message or dirgy or eulogy-someone should xplain,because to me it seems bullshit for d president of a whole nation sit and watch serial killers-boko haram,masscre people like no man's business and he is comfortable with it.he is not concerned with the whole situation,yet he still has the ordacity to be reading out shits calling it messages,shining teeth make we no say na presidential toothpaste him dey use,and i dont no what dose so-called advisers are doing other than saving their fattened cheeks for more meat and their enlargened pocket wide enough to contain a brt lag bus,like he quoted-A new agalmated century,its high time we youth sit and think of the future and see how to work together to make the country a better one cos to me i dont think the presidential seat is to accomodate any selfish or greedy General or civilian but a qualified able youth who share the same passion and vision of the real nigerian youths-let he who has ears........let him hear.participate in community development.peace.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ojo Emmanuel, The Blogger Arrested In Ogun State (Photos) / EFCC Arrests Gov. Okorocha’s Aides For Pocketing N2 Billion Bailout Funds / 2019: PDP Leaders Meet Kwankwaso, Target Saraki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.