Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,963 members, 7,828,411 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:20 AM

Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think (34023 Views)

Ben Bruce Flaunts His Made-In-Aba Shoes, Says They're As Good As Italian Shoes / Federal Government Is Not Treating Igbo People Right - Yerima / Democracy Or Which System Of Government Is Practice In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Afam4eva(m): 10:32am On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

Agreed. I even post a picture of ongoing work in my area. But trust me. Many main roads are yet done, and for many cul-de-sacs, adjoining roads; they are in POOR condition. I didn't say he has done nothing. It's just that it isn't all that good, even when you factor in the constraints the our pretensive FG system poses. We are just to used to poor leadership we celebrate average jobs.
Of course you're right. What Fashola is doing is what an average state government should be doing but due to the dearth of good leadership, we tend to worship an above average job. But we have to be thankful nonetheless for the little we have right now. I know how Iju road and College road in Ifako used to be in the past and i can see the difference.

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 10:33am On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx:

How do you plan an urban centre in a place as snarly populated as Lagos? The only option is to create new cities to decongest the old ones for renewal. Even with that, based on demand, supply and cost, how many Lagosians would be able to afford to live in the new cities? The only option is for the FG to build new cities, to decongest Lagos - or other state governments, to roll their sleeves up, and start working - so as to enable reverse migration from Lagos.

He has the opportunity to build new cities in areas that could still be planned but he is more interested in tolling the masses. There are areas like ajah-badore up to sangotedo/ibeju lekki/epe on one hand, Ijegun, Igando, isheri, bucknor axis up to Iba on the other hand. Areas like ijegun in sattelite town up till okokomaiko still have possibilities of some measure of planning, even agbara. They had the opportunity to plan areas like Egbeda and ipaja even up till a few years ago, but that didnt suffice. Lagos city center is congested and that is why private concerns are moving to the outskirts like Alimosho and ajah-sangotedo axis. But without government intervention in these city plans, they are only gonna end up as few small organised estates surrounded by slums. Building any major road in these areas(if they eventually decide to do so) takes the govt upwards of 5 years because there isnt any toll on them.

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by meforyou1(m): 10:34am On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

Calabar is clean. Even cleaner than Lagos. So I've been told by someone who went there.
told? My guy go to calabar and see. Lagos na wash, calabar is the place to be. so clean and beautiful. One clown said lagos is comparable to London, then calabar is comparable to heaven.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 10:34am On Jan 02, 2014
[s]
me_for_you: sharap, lagos was a benin kingdom military outpost before the invasion of white men and freed Brazilian slaves.
Lagos from time immemorial has always been a no-man's land. Ruled by the British since 19th century and handed over to Nigeria at independence.
Lagos has never been part of western region so how could western regional govt have built anything there.
And believe it or not, my grandfathers built lagos much more than your fathers did. And that's why we must be there to watch over our hard-earned investment.
[/s]

I don't want to curse people out this year, however, I would say go suck your mum. Go tell Benin kingdom to claim it. And are those Brazilian returnees from your ethnic stock? They're Yoruba's!

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Decryptor(m): 10:35am On Jan 02, 2014
whitecat007: We dont need ibos to buy anything in Lagos. We can always sell to the Hausas or other nationals who want to do business in Yorubaland. But first we must clean the ibos out and let others come in. You must stay in your states whether you like it or not. You do not have up to 1 million people left in iboland and yet you can't keep your mouth shut. You will have no choice than to face what is driving you out of your land since the only part you are now welcome is being trampled on. You will soon engage in your road running race when the north get super hot, west will lock its door, lets see where you vagabonds will head.

@the bolded, a lazy man can never lock his door against someone who comes to his house to sweep it clean and sanitize it! Think about that. Oke ohia!
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by whitecat007: 10:36am On Jan 02, 2014
And who is going to make me shut up? Hey I said that and what are you going to do about it? What about he lends it to you first since you ate yours in your mother's womb. You need it more.
GentleMimi:
Shut up,child! You do not have to bring in such lousy statement into this discussion.Leave his mum and her womb out of it. As i said earlier,u sound juvenile. Grow up ! You do not have to resort to degradatory comments to get ur points across! Sheesh.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 10:37am On Jan 02, 2014
mekula:

He has the opportunity to build new cities in areas that could still be planned but he is more interested in tolling the masses. There are areas like ajah-badore up to sangotedo/ibeju lekki/epe on one hand, Ijegun, Igando, isheri, bucknor axis up to Iba on the other hand. Areas like ijegun in sattelite town up till okokomaiko still have possibilities of some measure of planning, even agbara. They had the opportunity to plan areas like Egbeda and ipaja even up till a few years ago, but that didnt suffice. Lagos city center is congested and that is why private concerns are moving to the outskirts like Alimosho and ajah-sangotedo axis. But without government intervention in these city plans, they are only gonna end up as few small organised estates surrounded by slums. Building any major road in these areas(if they eventually decide to do so) takes the govt upwards of 5 years because there isnt any toll on them.

I wasn't alluding to building more cities In Lagos state. The ones there are enough. Won't want Epe to lose what it has now, with more people trooping there - the city needs to breathe.

I was talking about building more cities in other parts of Nigeria. There are virgin lands across the country - the FG needs to go build more cities and let Lagos breathe.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 10:39am On Jan 02, 2014
bloggernaija:
Low cost housing for whom ?
The last thing Lagos needs right now is to implement any policy that will lead to an increase in the number of unskilled labour moving in.
Lagos does not need at least 50% of her current population .
Back in the days,most people in Lagos had proper jobs. Apart from market women with stall ,every other person had a social useful job .

You be better mumu ! These unskilled workers are way more skilled than you can ever imagine. Try carrying a bag of cement, or rice. You go faint. Kids be all Behind these day they won't carty block. Haba ! Laborers that build your houses, sweep ur streets at their risk, build all the wonddrful structures you praise Fashola for, many exploited ones in China built many of the devices (from Apole to Techno or Chinko phones) you enjoy. Your post is silly. It shows how much people didsain technical education, even disdain menial jobs which are VERY important. Last I checked someone made millions from $hit business, another from corpse business. All of them depend on laborers leaving in shanties etc And you think they don't have a right to low-cost housing. You be mumu !
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 10:40am On Jan 02, 2014
the annoying thing is, he's spent billions on reclaiming an island instead of upgrading sub Urban areas plus, restructuring Lagos in general.. if eko Atlantic becomes actualized, many parts of Lagos will still remain eye sore .

a 100billion spent on restructuring alone, can make Lagos rival Capetown..

shomolu for instance can look like an American neighbourhood in less than 6 months.. implement a simple policy and see the chain reaction.. you don't have to demolish buildings ..

fashola is the clueless one. sad

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by docsholz(m): 10:44am On Jan 02, 2014
Shymexx is making sense, the infrastructure in lagos by international standards can't conveniently contain 10million people, other regions need to step up their game to decongest lag, sometimes I wonder if this country ever had a master plan
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by meforyou1(m): 10:45am On Jan 02, 2014
whitecat007: You are making shitt up. You don't sound like anyone with Yoruba friends. You are just crazy.
what will it benefit me to make anything up here?
I have a lot of Yoruba friends. A lot. And even your ladies. I take advantage of them being treacherous to do my thing with them whether they are married or not.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 10:45am On Jan 02, 2014
scipher: the annoying thing is, he's spent billions on reclaiming an island instead of upgrading sub Urban areas plus, restructuring Lagos in general.. if eko Atlantic becomes actualized, many parts of Lagos will still remain eye sore .

shomolu for instance can look like an American neighbourhood in less than 6 months.. implement a simple policy and see the chain reaction.. you don't have to demolish buildings ..

I believe he did that just to make sure everything stays in one axis. That was why Canary Wharf was built where it's, same for Manhattan and other places.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 10:47am On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx:

I wasn't alluding to building more cities In Lagos state. The ones there are enough. Won't want Epe to lose what it has now, with more people trooping there - the city needs to breathe.

I was talking about building more cities in other parts of Nigeria. There are virgin lands across the country - the FG needs to go build more cities and let Lagos breathe.

That's true. There are many actually whuch just need to be built on. If they were doing a good job in say agriculture,nor mining, these cities will naturally grow. People will gravitate to a source of wealth, power or enjoyment.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by whitecat007: 10:48am On Jan 02, 2014
How can you call the person who made you what you are today lazy? If we are lazy then you must be dead. Ibo reasoning at work.
Decryptor: @the bolded, a lazy man can never lock his door against someone who comes to his house to sweep it clean and sanitize it! Think about that. Oke ohia!

2 Likes

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by docsholz(m): 10:52am On Jan 02, 2014
whitecat007: How can you call the person who made you what you are today lazy? If we are lazy then you must be dead. Ibo reasoning at work.
Guy it's enough, for once let there be a non tribalistic debate on nairaland
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 10:52am On Jan 02, 2014
scipher: the annoying thing is, he's spent billions on reclaiming an island instead of upgrading sub Urban areas plus, restructuring Lagos in general.. if eko Atlantic becomes actualized, many parts of Lagos will still remain eye sore .

He isn't clueless. Mistaken in some areas, yes. Not clueless.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Decryptor(m): 10:54am On Jan 02, 2014
whitecat007: How can you call the person who made you what you are today lazy? If we are lazy then you must be dead. Ibo reasoning at work.
yaribas made ibos what they are today? This is the biggest joke i have ever heard in my entire life! grin If a man makes another man successful and he is not successful himself, then that man is cursed! So which means your tribe must be cursed. Just reacting based on your own theory.

4 Likes

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by whitecat007: 10:58am On Jan 02, 2014
You biatch are crazy. You do both married and single, and still screw goat too. Time to get help

me_for_you: what will it benefit me to make anything up here?
I have a lot of Yoruba friends. A lot. And even your ladies. I take advantage of them being treacherous to do my thing with them whether they are married or not.

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 10:58am On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

He isn't clueless. Mistaken in some areas, yes. Not clueless.
should we call it misplaced priorities then ?
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 11:00am On Jan 02, 2014
twittrizzy: @OP, people like you were those who abandoned his inherited farm in village, come to lagos to see if he could living the life he lives in his village. While all his hopin fails, you then lament for high cost of housing, welfare and so no. Son! Lagos state is not for everyone. Ur head could think of the high population in lagos that double the population in ur village in 1million xx. Fashola is the best state Government I ever seen. Son! U can do good when u settle in your village, leave lagos state!

U funny. Try harder grin I'll catch u later.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 11:03am On Jan 02, 2014
You definitely have to be accursed to think Eko Atlantic exemplifies clueless. You need green places in every city and you don't expect them to keep turning everywhere into business districts. Those from Lagos also need places where they can get fresh air. And the state government doesn't owe none of you shyte. If you don't like it, you can jump on the next bus to your hometown - and go develop it.

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 11:04am On Jan 02, 2014
doc sholz: Shymexx is making sense, the infrastructure in lagos by international standards can't conveniently contain 10million people, other regions need to step up their game to decongest lag, sometimes I wonder if this country ever had a master plan

There are other cities alright, just not enough federal presence. If FG decides to move one HQ or major office of a few of its establishments from Lagos e.g. stock exchange or NPA etc you people will still cry foul. There are developing states in the country with better infrastructure albeit amid a lower population but if there are no FG presence, your guess is as good as mine. Dredge the river Niger from portharcourt/calabar axis inwards to onitsha-ughelli and see a reduction in the volume of cargo into lagos, and that has its own multiplier effect. BUT HOW MANY of the people tribalizing this whole thing by asking people to go home would want that? That on its own is a major way to get people out of Lagos and take away a lot of income from Lagos too. It is not a welcome situation for a country that supposedly has many cities close to the atlantic to be operating one major seaport. Good thing the govt has upgraded many airports in the country to international airports. Good step as they garner more revenue and more commerce springing from there. That is part of the federal presence I'm talking about.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by whitecat007: 11:06am On Jan 02, 2014
Did I stutter? I said your mother gave birth to half human.You guys need to stop asking me question and do something about it.

mr_born_todo_it:

What has name calling got to do with the thread . You also said something childish on Igbo not buying anything in Lagos . I am sure you must have grown up with bitter people . I am Igbo and I support fashola . I don't expect you to do the same but please save the name calling and referring to people's parents simply because you are hiding behind a phone or computer. Can you challenge him to his face? Come on, stop these bull crap and learn how to socialize . This is a social network and not an anti-social one . Are you a learner?
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 11:08am On Jan 02, 2014
scipher: should we call it misplaced priorities then ?

Yes. I agree. He has to focus on basics eg good roads, proper urban planning (by containment policies), good LG stewardship, efucation (like many of the skills and craft centres being made should be expanded on so local skill is increased) etc before moving on to some of these grand projects eg

Land reclamation when u lack the skill. My guess is expatriates. Most likely ftom Holland.

Suspension bridge.

A huge LCC ptoject buy-back. I don't recall details but huge money was lost there.

A number of light rail projects.

And whateva new grand projects they may come up with.

In fact, African countries not as blessed as Lagos are struggling with basics.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 11:12am On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx: You definitely have to be accursed to think Eko Atlantic exemplifies clueless. You need green places in every city and you don't expect them to keep turning everywhere into business districts. Those from Lagos also need places where they can get fresh air. And the state government doesn't owe none of you shyte. If you don't like it, you can jump on the next bus to your hometown - and go develop it.

The day people not ancestral to Lagos leave is the day poeoke will say 'ekö a baje telé'.

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by whitecat007: 11:15am On Jan 02, 2014
The tone was set for it to be this way, only if you can read between the line though. You are not going to fire cheap shot my way or bring it over here.

doc sholz: Guy it's enough, for once let there be a non tribalistic debate on nairaland

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by rckdude: 11:17am On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

Calabar is clean. Even cleaner than Lagos. So I've been told by someone who went there.

Very true. I have been there and I can tell you that calabar is cleaner than Lagos. At present am in uyo and I can also tell you Akpabio aint doing bad for a PDP governor.

But the last time I checked Cross River and Akwa Ibom are not Ibo states. And the same Akpabio also moved Lagos destitute from his state back to Lagos. Have you heard LSG cried and whine about it.

The fact is if Fashola shud make the desired quantum leap we are clamouring for lagosians would complain; traders would complain about excessive taxation, average lagosian like I would perhaps complain about obnoxious laws and the ibos would sing their igbo "hater" anthem. The fact is that something has to give.

Am not making a case for fashola here ( I didn't even vote for him for his first term) but lagos generates more IGR from the island, I believe improving social facilities up there is to create a conducive environment for companies and multinationals to thrive but it shouldn't be at the detriment of the mainland. But still, something has to give before the desired balance between the island and the mainland can be arrived at.

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by ketoprofen(m): 11:17am On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx:

I'm outchea - send me a PM.

It's not that difficult to find real Lagosians on the Island. However, I'm not saying everyone should leave, but I believe the place needs to be decongested asap, if the city is become a sane city. The darn city is just too populated, hence why regardless of how you try to fix things, you would always meet a snag. And most of the people don't even pay taxes - so how do you expect the government to maximise revenue generation from the large population?

I'm all for diversity - but Lagos is a humanitarian crisis.

Lagos is also collecting huge taxes from the huge population.
many times, one person pays taxes for his enterprises in diff parts of Lagos.
therefore the problem is that of corruption and unaccountability on the part of lasg.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 11:17am On Jan 02, 2014
mekula:

There are other cities alright, just not enough federal presence. If FG decides to move one HQ or major office of a few of its establishments from Lagos e.g. stock exchange or NPA etc you people will still cry foul. There are developing states in the country with better infrastructure albeit amid a lower population but if there are no FG presence, your guess is as good as mine. Dredge the river Niger from portharcourt/calabar axis inwards to onitsha-ughelli and see a reduction in the volume of cargo into lagos, and that has its own multiplier effect. BUT HOW MANY of the people tribalizing this whole thing by asking people to go home would want that? That on its own is a major way to get people out of Lagos and take away a lot of income from Lagos too. It is not a welcome situation for a country that supposedly has many cities close to the atlantic to be operating one major seaport. Good thing the govt has upgraded many airports in the country to international airports. Good step as they garner more revenue and more commerce springing from there. That is part of the federal presence I'm talking about.

The FG is in Abuja, how come people aren't trooping there? The FG didn't move those HQ there, Lagos is just naturally blessed on its own, however, that doesn't mean everyone and their whole generation has to live in Lagos.

As for dredging the Niger River, that would never happen. A landlocked place is a landlocked place, you just have to live with it. Dredging the river to suit your fantasy would destroy the livelihood and habitat of those in the Niger Delta region - and I doubt they want that. There are ports in Delta, Rivers, Cross River and Port Harcourt - how come no one is using them? The only advantage Lagos has is because of its coastline and its natural deep ports. That has nothing to do with the FG.

Personally, I don't even thing Lagos as it's is benefiting from the huge population because Africans generally don't like paying for anything, apart from merrymaking. So I support your assertion that the FG needs to move out and take 2/3 of the scroungers on its way of out. That won't affect the status of Lagos - a status it earned time ago before Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Afam4eva(m): 11:18am On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

The day people not ancestral to Lagos leave is the day poeoke will say 'ekö a baje telé'.
Leave Shymmex, let him be running his mouth. I'm surprised that someone who has never been to Lagos in his life can be talking the way he's talking.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by EmmyDe25(m): 11:22am On Jan 02, 2014
@OP, how about forwarding this letter to Alausa ? as far as i am concerned coming on here to highlight some of the inadequacies of the BRF's administration is sure a waste of your precious time.

P.S: It really beats me seeing people hating on this guy. Fashola is unarguably a performer and stands head tall with the best governors in Nigeria (thats if we have any). He's infact the best in Nigeria as far as i am concerned. He is a top notch idealist, a great thinker and a maverick.
He's the type that we need at the Centre, not some clueless, dunce guy who couldnt govern a state with the least number of Local Governments talk more of governing a federation.
I guess most of you criticising Fashola's administration dont know how hard it is to govern a state as densely populated as Lagos...
talk of the expectation, the demands, doing things in line with what majority of the people want and et al.
One thing the OP should know is that a governor is not bound to touch everything that needs to be touched in a state.... what matters is you doing the needful by making sure that atleast after the completion of your term, a few things could still be looked back on and be seen as some of the laudable achievements of your administration.
And so far so good, Fashola can hold his head high in this regard. In fact, if i'm to rate his term in office so far; i'll give him 78%.

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 11:22am On Jan 02, 2014
ketoprofen:

Lagos is also collecting huge taxes from the huge population.
many times, one person pays taxes for his enterprises in diff parts of Lagos.
therefore the problem is that of corruption and unaccountability on the part of lasg.

Based on its IGR vis-a-vis its population, I believe only a few people pay taxes. How many people can afford anything there? You can't tax people who live hand to mouth except you want them to die. So basically I don't think most of the people have a right to complain about the state government. The FG is to blame for not letting the wealth trickle down to the bottom.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Norfin Offshore: Udom Emmanuel Commissions Indigenous Shipyard (Photos) / Ali Modu Sheriff & Obanikoro At APC National Convention / Al-mustapha For President In 2015 Rally In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.