Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,594 members, 7,812,945 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:14 PM

Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 - Sports (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 (51185 Views)

Yaya Toure Is The CAF African Best Player Of The Year / Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 / Yaya Toure Is African Footballer For 2012 : Glo CAF Awards 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by Opera240: 10:11am On Jan 10, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: This is nonsense. Even in European football last season, Yaya scored a total of 9 goals for Man City from 2012-2013. How is Yaya the best player for Africa over Mikel.

Can anyone here who thinks Yaya is the best explain why Yaya is the winner. Rubbish.
. But have you ever reason why on earth was he the only Africa player short-listed among the 23 players for fifa world player of the year?

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by Kx: 10:12am On Jan 10, 2014
How they voted

http://www.cafonline.com/userfiles/file/Amr%20El%20Sadek/PLAYER%20OF%20THE%20YEAR.pdf.

Its instructive to know that even Nigeria voted as follows:

Mikel 10 votes
Toure 8 votes
Musa 7votes
Emenike 6 votes

Dont blame caf, blame the coaches that voted, especially the votes by Nigerian coaches too.

2 Likes

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by nerodenero: 10:12am On Jan 10, 2014
Just my opinion
1. Going by the way Yaya was chosen based on individual performance and not based on trophies won 2013, will I be wrong to say that individual award in a team sport is totally wrong because It takes the collective effort of all the whole team to make an individual a star.
2. Considering the World best will be named in couple of days, will I be right to say Messi deserves to re-claim the title because his individual performance last year outshines that of Ribery and Ronaldo.
3. I will love Messi to win the award since I am a Barcelona fan but will it not be injustice to deny Ribery the award since he won treble last season.

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by Igwe9(m): 10:12am On Jan 10, 2014
If it's not ojoro, why did drogba's name make the list and at the same time not amongst their best eleven? shocked

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by yamunla(m): 10:16am On Jan 10, 2014
chai....mikel go just dey think inside the private jet as he dey go bak grin,make he sha please carry yaya drop am for gatwick airforceeee grin grin grin......
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by Nobody: 10:17am On Jan 10, 2014
Its so annoying oooo...
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by Okijajuju1(m): 10:21am On Jan 10, 2014
Kx: How they voted

http://www.cafonline.com/userfiles/file/Amr%20El%20Sadek/PLAYER%20OF%20THE%20YEAR.pdf.

Its instructive to know that even Nigeria voted as follows:

Mikel 10 votes
Toure 8 votes
Musa 7votes
Emenike 6 votes

Dont blame caf, blame the coaches that voted, especially the votes by Nigerian coaches too.

WHich Musa be that?! shocked shocked shocked

Please dont say Ahmed...

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by jotey(m): 10:27am On Jan 10, 2014
nnekamezor: Its so annoying oooo...
seriously i lyk as mikel was denied d award cos it wil make im up his game a lot..dnt wori..d mikel of 2005 is comin..he wil b on fire durin d remainin half of d season
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by Shekson(m): 10:27am On Jan 10, 2014
IGNORAMUSES!!!!
The award was by ratings (over 10) translated to votes.
Most coaches and technical officials of football associations across Africa rated Yaya Toure over Mikel. As yu all hav ΰя opinions, so do dis voters.
Yu can say there was a sway of francophone voters oer anglophone. Buh dis is not a CAF politricks.

4get the undisputed African player of the year award. 9gerians shld luk @ the positives. We had 5 awards and I appreciate the player wif the most prospect award given to Iheanacho. Shows we still hav a glimmer of hope 4 D̶̲̥̅̊ future. I jz hope he develops himsef in an appropriate club under the best tutelage. Cos Mikel serves as a disappointing example, after all the prospect. He ended up playin and developin himsef in a wrong position
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by tarezulu(m): 10:31am On Jan 10, 2014
people dey shout say mikel, but if dem say make una pick one ahead of d other, mouth go change for here.
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 10:36am On Jan 10, 2014
omar22:

If you look at all the football awards around the world, its the best performing player not the player from the best team. Some will say Okocha, well as good as he was, Eto was the best striker in the world far better than Henry or Van Nistelrooy.

So can someone tell me why Kanu won the title in 1999
I think it was because of Kanu's hat trick against Chelsea, coupled with how wonderful his last goal against Chelsea in that game was.
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by omar22(m): 10:37am On Jan 10, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: I think it was because of Kanu's hat trick against Chelsea, coupled with how wonderful his last goal against Chelsea in that game was.

because of one game?
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by Olammy76(m): 10:37am On Jan 10, 2014
don't be disappointed @ all nigerians, yaya toure deserve the africa best player of year than john mikel obi......despite the fact mikel won nations cup, that does'nt matter, yaya toure also won premier leage, and remember the decision of this african best football of the year is been known through the vote of the nation team coach and captain...and yaya toure has won thr heart before in 2011 and 2012 while mikel is been nominated 4 d first time
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 10:40am On Jan 10, 2014
Opera240: . But have you ever reason why on earth was he the only Africa player short-listed among the 23 players for fifa world player of the year?
You think after 2010 World player of the year, I trust Fifa. Ilkay Gundogan of Borrussia Dortmund had a far better year and performance than Yaya, is he in that their film tricks 23 man list? What is Bale doing there? His team could not even qualify for Champions league.

Please Vincent Enyeama and Mikel had a better year than Bale. Fake list.
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by size38: 10:40am On Jan 10, 2014
A well deserved award. Kudos to Yaya
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by badluck247: 10:41am On Jan 10, 2014
I luv mikel obo
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by hifaif1: 10:42am On Jan 10, 2014
TeNDuLKaaY:
Go to cafonline.com, official website and read about the awards it states; ''the award is bestowed on every indidual player on pure merit for his or her exemplary contribution to the development and promotion of football, on and off the pitch, WITHIN THE CONTINENT''. Please answer without bias whose profile best fit that description 'within the continent', Yaya or Mikel in 2013. And that too in a Nations cup year. Either this award is useless or the AFCON is useless. If the AFCON is irrelevant, CAF should tell us and then stop using AFCON to disturb EPL. We can all watch the EPL.

Read the whole statement instead of highlighting a part of it. The statement mentioned more than WITHIN THE CONTINENT. It mentioned ON/OFF THE PITCH, DEVELOPMENT and PROMOTION OF SOCCER as well. Do all these equate with AFCON success alone. What about Aboutrika who won the CAF League Cup?
Don't u think your WITHIN THE CONTINENT arguement should have assisted him as well. Or hasn't he contributed more to the DEVELOPMENT and PROMOTION of soccer WITHIN THE CONTINENT than a combination of Toure and Mikel and Drogba . The truth is Aboutrika won the best African player WITHIN THE CONTINENT. The one which Yaya won transcends the AFCON. There were other things considered. And mind you, that doesn't make the AFCON useless.
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by addictiv(m): 10:44am On Jan 10, 2014
Vinent Enyeama should have been nominwted instead of Drogba.
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 10:47am On Jan 10, 2014
omar22:

because of one game?
Zidane wasn't outstanding at France '98. Davor Suker who lead Croatia to a Bronze medal at the World cup for the first outing by Croatia in a World Cup was the outstanding player. Davor Suker was the Golden boot winner of the tournament and Silver ball winner of the tournament.

Zidane wasn't in top 3 of both the Golden ball and Golden boot nominees.

Zidane missed some games due to a red card and suspension by his team coach Jacquet. Yet because of one match in the finals, Zidane scored two headers and won the World player of the year.

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by Femmhi: 10:52am On Jan 10, 2014
Well deserved honour
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by andyanders: 10:55am On Jan 10, 2014
georgee: This wuld av bn an insult to football in general had Mikel won the award. I am a Chelsea fan and a Nigerian. I dont dwell in sentiments say he is my brother, na same church/mosque we dey go, he is from my village, he is a yoruba man.... No way.. I give honour to whom it is due. @Mikel Obi, replicate the form of 2005 and see urself winning this award in a hat-trick manner. Stop hiding under the guise of na coasch say mk i dey play like dat.. Always passing the ball backwards. Once again, congrats Yaya Toure.. Well deserved

Well spoken my brother.Let us forget about sentiment here.Yaya deserve the award because he has been too good.
Yes, Mikel is our own brother but cannot equal what Yaya is doing at the moment. This is an award that comes up every year. Let Nigerian players go and do their club and country proud. Yaya NEVER EVER warm the bench in his club but Mikel can NEVER ever boast of complete 90 minutes with Chelsea. I am a Chelsea fan and appreciates Mikel's input when playing but he cannot be as good as Yaya at the moment.Coming second is not bad. We must try to accept things as good sports men and women than trying to justify something that is not right and we should note that the world is watching us. This winning at all cost has been the reason why we have not gotten to the finals of the world cup as a result of our attitude in fielding over aged players and when much is expected form them, age start telling on them and they don't perform.
It was only this last under 17 youth championship that we have fielded players that look like under 17 by appearance and not by their true colour as only their parents knows their true age.

If we should be fielding the actual true ages of these youths, by the time they are exposed to the kind of facilities these great players abroad are exposed to, they will perform. Let us pray that other Nigerian players start paying first team matches with their clubs like what Emenike is doing right now, then this 2014 is coming and they should go to the AFCON and world cup and do us proud and try to key in in their clubs first team and they can receive same award that YAYA has taken rightfully.
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by Opera240: 10:58am On Jan 10, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: You think after 2010 World player of the year, I trust Fifa. Gundog an of Borrussia Dortmund had a far better year and performance than Yaya, is he in that their film tricks 23 man list? What is Bale doing there? His team could not even qualify for Champions league.

Please Vincent Enyeama and Mikel had a better year than Bale. Fake list.
. Mikel had a better year than Bale? Bro you must be joking! Bale carry the whole spur team on his head..Bale won both Writer & EPL player of year, the fact that his team was not qualify for champions league doesn't mean he is not better player...this show you that a tree can not make a forest!
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by paschalndidi(m): 10:58am On Jan 10, 2014
texaco1: bro,it isn't about the trophies you win ,but your importance and contribution to the team you play for. Yaha is a very influential and consistent figure in man city team and also his national team. He carries a lot of responsibilty in those teams and his importance in them cannot be overlooked ,but in chelsea team mikel doesn't command the same type of respect that yaya commands .mikel can be on the bench for weeks and chelsea won't feel him ,not the same with yaya. I think the judges looked at the importance of these players to their respective teams before picking the winner but this doesn't mean that mikel isn't good enough. For the award
Up till this time, the criteria for selecting this award is not clear even though we may say its based on individual performance. May be you need to educate me more on why its called African award. If its called African award, isn't it right to base the award more on the individual's performance in the continent say African cup of nation rather than individual's performance outside the continent say the so called premier league because you wouldnt tell that all the coaches involved in the voting watch premier league matches all weekends. Some of them may even prefer laliga but here we re having two nominees from epl and another from turkey. Thats by the way.......We re talking about 2013 and there was an African competition where the caf player of the year was not outstanding in the competition when compared with mikel who was fantastic in matches, won the trophy and was voted man of the match in those matches. Are you saying he was not influential and consistent in those matches and his absence wouldnt ve been felt?......Now coming to the club side, who told you mikel will not be missed if he's not playing. Check out majority the matches chelsea lost, its either mikel didnt play or he was substituted. Again, if mikel is not playing, its not as if he's not good but there's another person in the team but there's no one that can compete with yaya in man city.......I dont actually believe in the individuality theory in the game of football. Football is a collective game. He who scores couldnt ve done that without the help of another, no matter how influential or consistent the person is....... You and i know that yaya is good going forward but a disaster defensively(so where's the consistency) while mikel is fantastic defensively but not always good going forward. Mikel is an unsung hero. Its takes a lot seeing the work he does in a team...... Until the criteria for selecting this award is make clear to the whole world, nobody will convince me that yaya was better than mikel in 2013. You yourself was not sure of the criteria otherwise you would ve use the words "i think"

2 Likes

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 10:59am On Jan 10, 2014
andyanders:

Well spoken my brother.Let us forget about sentiment here.Yaya deserve the award because he has been too good.
Yes, Mikel is our own brother but cannot equal what Yaya is doing at the moment. This is an award that comes up every year. Let Nigerian players go and do their club and country proud. Yaya NEVER EVER warm the bench in his club but Mikel can NEVER ever boast of complete 90 minutes with Chelsea. I am a Chelsea fan and appreciates Mikel's input when playing but he cannot be as good as Yaya at the moment.Coming second is not bad. We must try to accept things as good sports men and women than trying to justify something that is not right and we should note that the world is watching us. This winning at all cost has been the reason why we have not gotten to the finals of the world cup as a result of our attitude in fielding over aged players and when much is expected form them, age start telling on them and they don't perform.
It was only this last under 17 youth championship that we have fielded players that look like under 17 by appearance and not by their true colour as only their parents knows their true age.

If we should be fielding the actual true ages of these youths, by the time they are exposed to the kind of facilities these great players abroad are exposed to, they will perform. Let us pray that other Nigerian players start paying first team matches with their clubs like what Emenike is doing right now, then this 2014 is coming and they should go to the AFCON and world cup and do us proud and try to key in in their clubs first team and they can receive same award that YAYA has taken rightfully.
Mikel played U17 about 11 years ago, he is still active and looks as someone that still has about 10 years of football in him. About 11 years later he is getting nominated for Africa's best, that doesn't look overage to me.
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 11:01am On Jan 10, 2014
Opera240: . Mikel had a better year than Bale? Bro you must be joking! Bale carry the whole spur team on his head..Bale won both Writer & EPL player of year, the fact that his was not qualify for champions league doesn't mean he is not better player...this show you that a tree can not make a forest!
Please, this Spurs team he carried didn't qualify for the Champions league, won nothing. Swansea and Michu achieved more than Bale. Wigan won the FA Cup. Where did Bale carry Spurs to?

Mikel won the nations cup and was a huge part of the team.
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 11:05am On Jan 10, 2014
omar22:

So you will say Mikel is better than Steven Gerrard because he is more successful? Or Busquet is better than Alonso because he is more successful?
Mikel is not better than Gerard but at the end of their careers we can judge.

In 2013 Mikel was a better player than Gerard.

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by jotey(m): 11:07am On Jan 10, 2014
nnekamezor: Its so annoying oooo...
Seriously i lyk as they denied mikel d award cos it wil make im up his game..jst watch nd c...d mikel of 2005 is coming..

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by paschalndidi(m): 11:10am On Jan 10, 2014
rahazaqa: hey,kip chut..it is an individual award nt team award!!...mikel 5 goals a whole career,yaya 10 goals this season,,,
You re one those morons who believe that there's individuality in the game of football. How did yaya score those goals? He got the passes from demons not players abi? Those people that gave him the passes not good too, right? Keep thinking through your anus

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 11:10am On Jan 10, 2014
jotey: Seriously i lyk as they denied mikel d award cos it wil make im up his game..jst watch nd c...d mikel of 2005 is coming..
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by jotey(m): 11:10am On Jan 10, 2014
Opera240: . Mikel had a better year than Bale? Bro you must be joking! Bale carry the whole spur team on his head..Bale won both Writer & EPL player of year, the fact that his team was not qualify for champions league doesn't mean he is not better player...this show you that a tree can not make a forest!
Bros u must b joking..mikel had a beta year dan bale..wait wot did bale achieve last year..is it most expensive player of d year award?
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by omar22(m): 11:12am On Jan 10, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: Zidane wasn't outstanding at France '98. Davor Suker who lead Croatia to a Bronze medal at the World cup for the first outing by Croatia in a World Cup was the outstanding player. Davor Suker was the Golden boot winner of the tournament and Silver ball winner of the tournament.

Zidane wasn't in top 3 of both the Golden ball and Golden boot nominees.

Zidane missed some games due to a red card and suspension by his team coach Jacquet. Yet because of one match in the finals, Zidane scored two headers and won the World player of the year.

Zidane was the best player in Europe before the world cup, during the world cup and after the world cup. Did you see Zidane for Juve that year. in the group stage Zidane was magic only because of his Red Card

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Nigerians Slam Otamendi For Shoving Iheanacho On Instagram / Israel Adesanya Retains UFC Middleweight Championship After Beating Romero / Eric Dier Leaves Pitch During Chelsea Match To Use The Toilet, Mourinho Follows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.