Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,461 members, 7,830,292 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:17 PM

Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 - Sports (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 (51257 Views)

Yaya Toure Is The CAF African Best Player Of The Year / Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 / Yaya Toure Is African Footballer For 2012 : Glo CAF Awards 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by Fayrouzz(m): 8:13am On Jan 10, 2014
barcanista: I wonder how some people reason. Sentiment apart, Yaya deserve it. In fact, Mikel and Drogba shouldn't even be among the TOP contenders. Emenike and Jonathan Petropia should have been there instead.

People say Mikel won the Europa, we all know Europa is LOSERs Cup for Champions League drop-outs. Beside Mikel wasn't instrumental, he played from d bench or second fiddle.

AFCON? Damn it. Emenike was Nigeria's Key man along with Moses in that competition. In fact, Bance was better than Mikel in the AFCON games.

Its like giving Pinto best goalie becos he has been winning trophies with FcB(from bench).

Finally, Congrat to Toure, A worthy Barca product. I wish him the best.

Next is MESSI to be crowned WORLD BEST
If u really think that Eminike and Moses wie more instrumental in the AFCON, then u kno nothing about football..
Nothing!!

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by segnys007(m): 8:15am On Jan 10, 2014
pixtuk: 2011: Yaya Toure
2012: Yaya Toure
2013: Yaya Toure.
2011 - 2013:
Man City: 1 EPL, 1 FA cup.
Ivory Coast: 0 trophy.
Mikel Obi:
2011 - 2013:
Chelsea: 1 Champions league, 1 Europa league, 2 FA cup.
Nigeria: 1 Afcon.
CAF player of the year:
Yaya Toure: 3
Jay Jay Okocha 0
CAF is more corrupt than APC!
well at least not as corrupt as PDP, right?
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by texaco1: 8:16am On Jan 10, 2014
I think when 2 or 3 players tie on individual brilliance and contribution to their respective teams that is when caf uses the achievement barometer of what trophies the players have won to judge. But in this case ,caf didn't need to do that because the individual brilliance on the field of play and massive contribution of yaya to both club and national team is overwhelming.the truth is yaya is a player you simply can't ignore and he is a player that can and most times always makes the difference in a match.his record ahas. Been consistent since his time at barca and even now at man city ,noone dares belittles him. On the other hand mikel won't awards and trophies with his teams but his individual contribution to these teams have bEen average and not particularly outstanding. Mikel is a player that coaches can bench without thinking twice that isn't the case with yaya
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by omobajohn58(m): 8:16am On Jan 10, 2014
They both deserve the honour and moreover,it's by vote so even drogba can win provided d coaches like his style......2 be realistic i see no reason why some people said mikel does nt desrve it.....he doesn't have enuff playing tym in chelsea Nt an excuse....'cos apart 4rm yaya how many big name defensive mid fielder can u list in man city....in chelsea u have many....likes of lampard ramires even luiz et al........they said mikel is nt indispensable unlike yaya......but without mikel u will knw dat Nigeria's game lack dat free flow of ball......he dnt score goals? Why would he ...he is a defense minded player his slogan is 'safety first'...and since he perform quite alright i see no reason why we should take dat as a reasonable excuse..........since i've been watching a match involving mikel and yaya....even a blind man knws that mikel control d midfield nt yaya.........NIGERIAvs IVORY and chelsea vs man city.......i rest my case

2 Likes

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by AustineE1: 8:19am On Jan 10, 2014
...well said,isnt it great that of all the players in Africa,Mikel was recognized as the second best,he is our worthy ambassador,i remember him winning African best youngest player years back and then world second best youngest player after Messi...he has done his part for Nigeria,so how about you?what have you offered Nigeria??congrats to yaya Toure,Mikel and Drogba.

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by SolomonAkuro(m): 8:24am On Jan 10, 2014
Eyaa yaya toure deserves it Y was drobga ever a nominee and poor mikel :/ ;DEyaa yaya toure deserves it Y was drobga ever a nominee and poor mikel :/
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by positive4sure(m): 8:24am On Jan 10, 2014
Shebi na 1st leg dem do yesternite. Mikel keep calm d 2nd leg is urs
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by Krasid(m): 8:25am On Jan 10, 2014
Drogba was not in Africa's best 11, but was in top 3.How is that possible?

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by segnys007(m): 8:31am On Jan 10, 2014
People are just talking sh*t. When Nigerians were winning this aaward tthere was no conspiracy in CAF then, abi? I think there was even a time Nigerians won it back to back! Na sentiment go kill This country. Na so this guy come, with his i had no shoe cr*p.

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by torgbe(m): 8:32am On Jan 10, 2014
shymexx:

Bruv, you should have ignored that incoherent clown.

Comparing a Yaya Toure who brought back the traditional DM/CM box-to-box player, to Mikel, is blasphemy. A guy that makes you remember the great Lothar Matthaus, Patrick Viera, Frank Rijkaard et al, whenever he's bursting forward should never be in the same sentence with Mikel. And I'm a big Chelsea fan. Not an Abramovich era Chelsea fan, but a Ruud Gullit era Chelsea fan.
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by isaacreigns(m): 8:35am On Jan 10, 2014
Tesiday: people shouting francophone politics and isa ayatou; Nigeria stars had won the award a number of time under same Ayatou. Nwakwo Kanu, Rashidi Yekini, etc. pls accept it, Mikel does not deserve it this year.
sentiments apart, its my opinion that Mikel deserves d award more than any of d other two. CAF has alws maintained that d award is determine by d play in a cup of nations year if it were to be individual brilliance, Okocha shd av won it in 2004 base on his performance for club but was denied. Mikel more than any other player won d man of d match in 3 matches during d nations cup and also played a pivotal role in Nigeria's campaign. I beliv there is a shift in CAF's stand as to who wins or not. Even wen Nigeria played Ivory Coast, Mikel outshined Toure cos he was a shadow of himself. Going by d cup of nation year and d performances Mikel showed playing for his national team coupled wit d number of accolades Mikel won last year, he deserves d award more than any other on d list.

2 Likes

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by Bome01(m): 8:41am On Jan 10, 2014
Congratulations to Yaya Toure, Can't say he didn't deserve it! My P is Segun Odegbami's comments that Mikel is not a flamboyant player. When did that become a criteria for Africa best? CAF never ceases to amuse me anyway, we know their way already!

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by 2Dux: 8:41am On Jan 10, 2014
[quote author=obongtunji]The Africa Footballer of the Year 2013 is Yaya Toure....

Mtchewwww, Nonsense CAF award! Mikel had a wonderful nation cup. Where was Yaya? I think there's no clear cut criteria for selecting Africa's best.

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by georgee(m): 8:51am On Jan 10, 2014
This wuld av bn an insult to football in general had Mikel won the award. I am a Chelsea fan and a Nigerian. I dont dwell in sentiments say he is my brother, na same church/mosque we dey go, he is from my village, he is a yoruba man.... No way.. I give honour to whom it is due. @Mikel Obi, replicate the form of 2005 and see urself winning this award in a hat-trick manner. Stop hiding under the guise of na coasch say mk i dey play like dat.. Always passing the ball backwards. Once again, congrats Yaya Toure.. Well deserved
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by ifeanyija(m): 8:51am On Jan 10, 2014
[quote author=2 Dux][/quote]

Toure was also the only African player included on the 23-man shortlist for Fifa's World Player of the World award.

Is it Caf that did that? Toure is 200times better than Mikel. If u re taking abt trophies then Moses shud be ahead of yaya?

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by ICONgold(m): 8:56am On Jan 10, 2014
As much I would have love Mikel clinch the award, Yaya Toure deserves it. Congrats. No beef at all.
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by Gguy4real: 8:58am On Jan 10, 2014
Yaya toure deserve it also mikel deserve it but is very painful that mikel didnt win the award but anyway mikel is to blame for it, i dont know why he was doing at the back anytime chelsea was playing match he no dey move forward to score the guy really disgrace me alot how can a player score just 3 goals in all his appearance in chelsea shirt i think he should leave the club and move somewhere else so that he can add more tally to his record maybe that time he will win the award
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by Vegasailin: 8:59am On Jan 10, 2014
mikel suppose to be in the same level with Messi
because they were both promising stars in 2005
Under 20 World Cup but Messi was given free role
in Barcelona while The Sole Called 'Special One'
restricted and converted Mikel to a defensive
midfielder and Yaya toure plays as an attacking
midfielder which makes him score more goals for
his country and club
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by jotey(m): 8:59am On Jan 10, 2014
texaco1: I think when 2 or 3 players tie on individual brilliance and contribution to their respective teams that is when caf uses the achievement barometer of what trophies the players have won to judge. But in this case ,caf didn't need to do that because the individual brilliance on the field of play and massive contribution of yaya to both club and national team is overwhelming.the truth is yaya is a player you simply can't ignore and he is a player that can and most times always makes the difference in a match.his record ahas. Been consistent since his time at barca and even now at man city ,noone dares belittles him. On the other hand mikel won't awards and trophies with his teams but his individual contribution to these teams have bEen average and not particularly outstanding. Mikel is a player that coaches can bench without thinking twice that isn't the case with yaya
You can say yaya has contributed 2 his club succes bt nt 4 his national team cos he hasnt won anytin 4 his country since wen he started playing football

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by Nobody: 9:00am On Jan 10, 2014
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by OkikiOluwa1(m): 9:02am On Jan 10, 2014
ifeanyi_ja:

Stop misleading people, CAF didn't say anything. That's wat people said not Caf. Note that caf didn't vote bt coaches and team captain voted nt caf.
Who's misleading who?
CAF said it.
Was is not this clueless CAF that said Drogba was denied his 2007 award cos he didn't attend the program.
CAF alway gives a st.up.id reason to suit the receiver of their award.
If they v seen the future, they wouldn't v uttered that gibberish in January 2004.
Last Bullet:
Now, say the truth.
Who truely deserved the 2003 AFOTY? Eto'o or Okocha.
Who truely deserved the 1998 AFOTY?
Hadji or Okocha?

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by sholasys: 9:02am On Jan 10, 2014
Seriously to me non of them deserve it for the year 2013. For some years now, we have been lacking good quality informed players, scoring goals either as a striker or midfielders or any position in Europe or any part of the world. If you compare with our previous African footballer's of the year like Eto, Drogba, Kanu, etc performance, then you will know that the standards is degraded. Although, Yaya toure best among them but that's not the level of performance we want as a winner of African footballer of the year. God help Africa.
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by ifeanyija(m): 9:02am On Jan 10, 2014
Victor Moses was named the Nigerian
Footballer of the Year,2013. He was conferred with the honour by the Nigerian Sports Award. Moses defeated John Obi Mikel and Sunday Mba who were the other nominees for the award.

How do you expect Mikel to conquer Africa when Nigerians recognise Moses as their best player of the year?

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by Kezzyekeso(m): 9:03am On Jan 10, 2014
Its nt a fair result........dts all I can say
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by jotey(m): 9:03am On Jan 10, 2014
Krasid: Drogba was not in Africa's best 11, but was in top 3.How is that possible?
Thats pure cheating and corruption... CAF=Corrupt organisation of african football

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by ifeanyija(m): 9:03am On Jan 10, 2014
sholasys: Seriously to me non of them deserve it for the year 2013. For some years now, we have been lacking good quality informed players, scoring goals either as a striker or midfielders or any position in Europe or any part of the world. If you compare with our previous African footballer's of the year like Eto, Drogba, Kanu, etc performance, then you will know that the standards is degraded. Although, Yaya toure best among them but that's not the level of performance we want as a winner of African footballer of the year. God help Africa.

Fool, can u play football?
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by cr7lomo: 9:04am On Jan 10, 2014
Okiki_Oluwa:
You need to be educated about this statement.
No sentiment, Toure is a better individual player than Mikel thus making him a more suitable choice.
But based on CAF's criteria, they said the winner of AFOTY must be good individually & must v helped the team to win a trophy, expecially AFCON.
In 2003, Okocha was a midfielder, Eto'o was a striker. But your entire generation knows that Okocha's showmanship in 2002/2003 superseeds that of Eto'o that was with Real Mallorca. That season, he didn't win a spoon with Mallorca o!
Then, CAF said cos Eto'o won AFCON with Cameroon in 2002, that's why he won ahead of Okocha. We said, no problem.
This year Mikel won AFCON, Europa League, FA Cup.
Yaya Toure won nothing.
They gave it to Toure.
Issa Hayatou should take back his word of 2003 & cover his grey hair with ashes.
CAF has no definite criteria. They are confused. That's what majority of Nigerians are proving. We are not sentimental.
Last Bullet:
I can't even smile after reading your dry joke. You must be drier than the Sahara Desert!
Your last bomb is so dumb! You better stick to my Last Bullet

U still don't get it, the diff between etoo and mikel is that etoo was outstanding for both club and country, he pumped in enough goals for Mallorca and was mallorca's most outstanding player,but dint win anything for club but for country. Mikel's case is that his not outstanding for both club and country but won cups. If mikel was outstanding for both Chelsea and Nigeria , he would have easily won the award. You can't tell me just because someone is in a winning team means he deserves the award, even if he is not outstanding . Yaya made FIFA's top 23. Mikel is not even among d top 100 best at present honestly. I am not a hater , I c d truth and I speak it. Eyeama can't even win it cos yaya wil win it again. Moses is meant to b naija's hope to win it cos he plays for a big team and also a forward, unfortunately he has lost form
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by lanrezion01: 9:05am On Jan 10, 2014
When I watched the highlight of the three players, the only difference was that Mikel didn't have much goals like they did. I think in all ramification and achievement last year, Mikel deserves it but he probably lost because he doesn't have goals to back up his skills.

2 Likes

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by lonelydude: 9:05am On Jan 10, 2014
I THINK IT'S A WELL DESERVED AWARD. TOURE IS BETTER THAN MIKEL. HE SCORES MORE GOALS DESPITE BEING A MIDFIELDER LIKE MIKEL WHO HARDLY SCORES.

SUMMARY
BOTH ARE GREAT MIDFIELDERS BUT TOURE SCORES MORE

I KNOW MIKEL WORN TROPHIES IN THE LAST 3 YEARS BUT THAT'S COLLECTIVE EFFORT.
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by omar22(m): 9:06am On Jan 10, 2014
jotey: You can say yaya has contributed 2 his club succes bt nt 4 his national team cos he hasnt won anytin 4 his country since wen he started playing football

If you look at all the football awards around the world, its the best performing player not the player from the best team. Some will say Okocha, well as good as he was, Eto was the best striker in the world far better than Henry or Van Nistelrooy.

So can someone tell me why Kanu won the title in 1999
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by jotey(m): 9:12am On Jan 10, 2014
ifeanyi_ja:

Toure was also the only African player included on the 23-man shortlist for Fifa's World Player of the World award.

Is it Caf that did that? Toure is 200times better than Mikel. If u re taking abt trophies then Moses shud be ahead of yaya?
Yea..toure was better last year bt mikel was sucesful..if u were asked 2 choose btween good performance nd success which 1 wil u go for?mikel was beta..i prefer success than dat

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

Chukwuma Nwaoha Is Sick, Has Liver Disease, On The Verge Of Dying (pics) / Cristiano Ronaldo Scores Hat-trick As Portugal Thrash Switzerland 3-1 (Photos) / Photos: Meet Beautiful Francisca Ordega Who Plays For The Falcons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.