Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,768 members, 7,820,684 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:27 PM

Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 - Sports (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 (51235 Views)

Yaya Toure Is The CAF African Best Player Of The Year / Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 / Yaya Toure Is African Footballer For 2012 : Glo CAF Awards 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by omar22(m): 11:13am On Jan 10, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: Mikel is not better than Gerard but at the end of their careers we can judge.

In 2013 Mikel was a better player than Gerard.

Enough Said!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by andyanders: 11:16am On Jan 10, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: Mikel played U17 about 11 years ago, he is still active and looks as someone that still has about 10 years of football in him. About 11 years later he is getting nominated for Africa's best, that doesn't look overage to me.

Please note that I am not talking of Mikel used as an OVER AGED player during his youth.Mikel is just a product of youth developmental process hence he is a young man and still active and has given his best and still a very good player I love as a Nigerian and a brother.

In terms of the subject matter here, YAYA has been good and consistent with his career and deserve this year's award.
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by jotey(m): 11:20am On Jan 10, 2014
omar22:

Enough Said!!!!!!!!!!!
At last u agreed

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 11:31am On Jan 10, 2014
omar22:

Zidane was the best player in Europe before the world cup, during the world cup and after the world cup. Did you see Zidane for Juve that year. in the group stage Zidane was magic only because of his Red Card
Nope, it was Del Peiro. Definitely Del Peiro who broke the Champions league goal scoring record.

That Champions League was won by Real Madrid beaten Juve in the finals. Clarence Seedorf was also awesome for Real Madrid. Zidane was definitely one of the best players but they were many greats to cap Zizou the best, including Raul.

From what I followed, Zidane won it mainly because of his two goals topple the best in the world.

That WPOTY had a lot to do with the World cup. Davor Sucker wasn't a regular player for Real Madrid but he was nominated amongst the top 3 final contenders. (That is why we are wondering when the Major tournament criteria changed like in Yesterday's case).

If not Suker, it should have been Ronaldo the phenomenon. He was amazing at the World Cup, especially that Holland match.
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by omar22(m): 11:35am On Jan 10, 2014
jotey: At last u agreed

I dont agree, I just agree to close the argument
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by texaco1: 11:37am On Jan 10, 2014
omar22:

I dont agree, I just agree to close the argument
well done . wink
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by omar22(m): 11:38am On Jan 10, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: Nope, it was Del Peiro. Definitely Del Peiro who broke the Champions league goal scoring record.

That Champions League was won by Real Madrid beaten Juve in the finals. Clarence Seedorf was also awesome for Real Madrid. Zidane was definitely one of the best players but they were many greats to cap Zizou the best, including Raul.

From what I followed, Zidane won it mainly because of his two goals topple the best in the world.

That WPOTY had a lot to do with the World cup. Favor Sucker wasn't a regular player for Real Madrid but he was nominated amongst the top 3 final contenders.

If not Suker, it should have been Ronaldo the phenomenon. He was amazing at the World Cup, especially that Holland match.

So you expect Zidane to brake the goal scoring record

UEFA Club Midfielder of the Year – 1998

FIFA World Cup All-Star Team – 1998,
FIFA World Cup Final Man of the Match – 1998
World Soccer Awards Player of the Year – 1998
L'Équipe Champion of Champions – 1998
French Player of the Year – 1998,
Onze d'Or – 1998
Ballon d'Or – 1998
FIFA World Player of the Year – 1998,

Are you sure its because of the world cup
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by nerodenero: 11:39am On Jan 10, 2014
Wish very soon individual awards will be banned because the yardstick for selecting the best is really not known. We are really confused . It takes the combined effort of all 11 players to make a player unique. So why say he is the best? Sports like Motor racing, Table tennis, Law tennis, Golf etc that involves one player playing can attain any level and win individual awards. Such player can lay claim to the fact that he is the best in the world without fear or favour.

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 11:45am On Jan 10, 2014
omar22:

So you expect Zidane to brake the goal scoring record

UEFA Club Midfielder of the Year – 1998

FIFA World Cup All-Star Team – 1998,
FIFA World Cup Final Man of the Match – 1998
World Soccer Awards Player of the Year – 1998
L'Équipe Champion of Champions – 1998
French Player of the Year – 1998,
Onze d'Or – 1998
Ballon d'Or – 1998
FIFA World Player of the Year – 1998,

Are you sure its because of the world cup
All those awards came after the World Cup. Note the UEFA club midfielder of the year. You said he was the best player in Europe before the World Cup, not best midfielder. Zidane wasn't the best player in club football 1998 or best player at France '98.

Zidane amassed those awards because of the world cup. If not explain why Davor Sucker was nominated amongst the top 3?
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by noblejames: 11:49am On Jan 10, 2014
I wonder how people think that Mikel Obi should be favoured in this award whereas a French speaking African is a close contender. This shows that Nigerians are yet to understand the politics of Africa. Let me make it clear, no English speaking African will ever be the President of CAF mark my word. However,it was possible for Nigerians to win this award in the past just because there was no serious French speaking African contender at that time. If you have lived outside Nigeria and have done business or stayed together with some French African speaking people you will easily understand what I mean. There is a big gulf between us and this cuts across everything that we do, try chase their women, their men will not allow you be; well that’s on the side, but on a serious note football is mostly most affected. For instance, if Nigeria is playing a football match with Tunisia or Algeria, the Ivorian or the Cameroonian will definitely prefer to support the North African country against Nigeria and the same thing goes to Tunisians and Algerians. Unfortunately, we have more French speaking countries in Africa than English Speaking countries, therefore, inasmuch as the voting pattern remain the same, any time there is close rivalry, between a French speaking African and English speaking, the French man most surely take the award period!

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 11:50am On Jan 10, 2014
omar22:

Zidane was the best player in Europe before the world cup, during the world cup and after the world cup. Did you see Zidane for Juve that year. in the group stage Zidane was magic only because of his Red Card
If Zidane was the best before, during and after, what was Ronaldo Da Lima?
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by showby: 11:54am On Jan 10, 2014
Zidane is the last classic player yet!
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 11:57am On Jan 10, 2014
showby: Zidane is the last classic player yet!
Definitely one of the best football artist I ever saw. Not the best at France 98 sha. LOL.

Davor Suker, Ronaldo Da Lima, Ariel Ortega, Batistuta, Emmanuel Petit, Desailly, Vieri were ahead of Zizou in that tourney.
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by Ukofelix18: 11:59am On Jan 10, 2014
I tink dis is de only opportunity Mikel has 2 win dis, bt his blossom is under de shadow of de gr8t Yaya Toure. He is de most representative of Africa in Europe. Minus sentiment, Mikel hasn't done enough to compare wt Yaya. If de criteria was by trophies of last season, Mikel shd be in position, bt I tink much was done based on individual accolade. Yaya, hv more goals, assist n tackles over Mikel. More dan 15goals in all competitions, scoring a blistery 7-free kicks out of 9 free kicks.
Well, he deserve it. Mikel shd fight more.
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by ifeanyija(m): 12:01pm On Jan 10, 2014
jotey: Who told u dat..he was playin 4 real mallorca den nd he didnt achieve anytin wit dem..r u sayin they gave him cos real mallorca was beta dan bolton?NO..if u ask me they were both equal teams..bt they said gave him cos he won afcon..MIKEL also won afcon so y didnt they giv him

Try and watch both players highlight
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by Opera240: 12:14pm On Jan 10, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: Please, this Spurs team he carried didn't qualify for the Champions league, won nothing. Swansea and Michu achieved more than Bale. Wigan won the FA Cup. Where did Bale carry Spurs to?

Mikel won the nations cup and was a huge part of the team.
. But where Mikel dey when Bale won EPL player of year? I guess you will sayz na ojoro dem do, na Mikel suppose won am since he is better than Bale
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by Kebi1: 12:15pm On Jan 10, 2014
Mikel is a defensive midfielder.If he was an attacker like Yaya he would ve had a better chance..That Mourhino is wasting the potential of the dude..

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by maestroferddi: 12:19pm On Jan 10, 2014
CAF will not stop making itself a laughing stock. Let us even forget this charade called African Footballer of the Year since objectivity hardly features in determining who gets to receive the award. It is so disappointing that Nigeria, the so-called giant of Africa is nothing but a paper tiger. It beats the imagination how Nigeria, with her clout and contribution to African football, allows a maverick like Issa Hayatou run CAF like a personal fiefdom. Imagine the insult! Nigeria, according to Hayatou, is a giant of African football bla bla bla. All in an attempt to cushion the affect of dashing the hope of Nigerians that one of their own would deservedly be crowned the foremost player on the continent. I thought the AFCON is the flagship tournament of CAF; so how come winning it hardly mattered in the final analysis. Yaya Toure, no doubt, is a talented footballer but tell me, what exceptional thing has he done to merit a hat-trick of Africa's best player award? Folks would readily point to his influence as per Man City, but lest we forget, last year he won ZILCH despite featuring in a star-studded side. His national team Ivory Coast has remained perennial underachievers. Besides, if he was so good how come Barca dispensed with his services? We all saw how his megawattage did not prevent Man City from finishing last in their CL group (even behind Ajax!) So what are we talking about? I am not Mikel's fan but all of Ancelotti, Hiddink, Scolari, Benitez and Mourinho can't be wrong. There must something special the guy brings to his side that has made him continue to be relevant. In my opinion, he ought to have gotten the gong having ticked all the boxes. The whole thing lacks credibility.

2 Likes

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by onlysose(m): 12:27pm On Jan 10, 2014
I am an Internet security Advisor, and I feel bad when people fall to Internet scam or Identity theft. Therefore I decided to put a piece of article together to guide Nigerians on how to prevent password theft. Enjoy a lengthy read:

http://techtrendsng.com/fishers-phisers-warning-internet-identity-thieves-part-1/
http://techtrendsng.com/fishers-phisers-warning-internet-identity-thieves-part-2/

I will make subsequent contribution
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by Opera240: 12:29pm On Jan 10, 2014
jotey: Bros u must b joking..mikel had a beta year dan bale..wait wot did bale achieve last year..is it most expensive player of d year award?
. Where Mikel dey when Bale won both Writer and Epl player of year? At least Mikel should av won it now if he is better than Bale since he has achieved than him.....abi na ojoro FA do for Mikel ni?
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:34pm On Jan 10, 2014
Take ur tym 2 read dz epistle.
1st of all, get my points.
Toure is better than Mikel as a player. I m not sentimental to deny that.
2ndly, CAF is a confused cheat. What they did in 1998 & 2003 is what's making me 2 question yesterday's award.
I repeat, if they want 2 follow d statement of help ur club 2 win trophy & win AFOTY, so be it.
If it's abt individual ability, so be it.
CAF shld withdraw d statement of 2003 & accept dat Okocha rightly won dat award.
cr7lomo.:

U still don't get it, the diff between etoo and mikel is that etoo was outstanding for both club and country, he pumped in enough goals for Mallorca and was mallorca's most outstanding player,but dint win anything for club but for country.
u must be drunk!
There's no nations cup in 2003. Okocha was d star of Tunisia 2004.
In D last nations cup cameroon won in 2002, El hadji Diouf was d star.
Moreso, Okocha was a midfielder, hw o u expect him 2 score more dan a striker?
D award is on individual skills & performance 2 lift dr teams. Okocha carried Bolton 4rm bottom to 8th in d epl.
cr7lomo.:

Mikel's case is that his not outstanding for both club and country but won cups. If mikel was outstanding for both Chelsea and Nigeria, he would have easily won the award.
@ d bolded parts, it's a blashemy!
Mikel played wonderfully 4 Nig in 2013. He was even part of d team of d tournaments 1st eleven. He playd brilliantly @ d confed's cup.
Meanwhile, was Mikel dat bad @ Chelsea. Do u knw hw many appearances he made last season? Do u knw dat he is a key member of chelsea ds season?
He may nt b scoring goals, bt he dng well as a def mid.
If u r sincere, u ll get my points dat based on CAF's criteria, Mikel deserved it.
cr7lomo.:

Yaya made FIFA's top 23. Mikel is not even among d top 100 best at present honestly. I am not a hater , I c d truth and I speak it. Eyeama can't even win it cos yaya wil win it again.
do u knw dat Enyeama was supposed 2 b d 3rd shortlisted player instead of Drogba?
D truth u didnt see is dat caf was a lier in 2003 & 1998.
I knw Toure is beta dan Mikel, bt according 2 CAF, Mikel playd nd v more trophies.
Last Bullet:
And say d truth here.
Who deserved AFOTY btw Hadji & Okocha in 1998?

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by jotey(m): 12:41pm On Jan 10, 2014
Opera240: . Where Mikel dey when Bale won both Writer and Epl player of year? @least Mikel should av won it now if @ all he is better than Bale since he is achieve than him.....abi na ojoro FA do for Mikel ni?
Make bale win euro championship first

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by jotey(m): 12:47pm On Jan 10, 2014
Opera240: . Where Mikel dey when Bale won both Writer and Epl player of year? @least Mikel should av won it now if @ all he is better than Bale since he is achieve than him.....abi na ojoro FA do for Mikel ni?
Guy u no dae reason..u wan compare epl player of d year 2 afcon trophy?

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jan 10, 2014
cr7lomo.:

U will b disappointed this time
Mr man be careful o.
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jan 10, 2014
omar22:

So you will say Mikel is better than Steven Gerrard because he is more successful? Or Busquet is better than Alonso because he is more successful?
Busquet is FAR better than Alonso guy.

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by jealous91(m): 1:35pm On Jan 10, 2014
For the fact that Drogba came third and didnt make African dream team makes the whole award invalid to me just as ballon d'or is invalid to me

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 2:02pm On Jan 10, 2014
Opera240: . But where Mikel dey when Bale won EPL player of year? I guess you will sayz na ojoro dem do, na Mikel suppose won am since he is better than Bale
Leave that fake title. Without debate, can anybody say Bale was a better player than Robin Van Persie last season? Mancini said Van Persie was the difference between Man Utd and Man City. A big difference of 11 points. Van Persie was Man Utd's best player and won the Golden Boot.

That is a player carrying a team. How Bale was better beats everyone.
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by drepapa(m): 2:15pm On Jan 10, 2014
Beyoncé and Jay Z close down a whole bird sanctuary to celebrate daughter Blue Ivy's second birthday.www.holarsblog.com/2014/01/beyonce-and-jay-z-close-down-whole-bird.html
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jan 10, 2014
chemberlin: I hate watching things like this how can Yaya win it if that is so then Ronaldo deserve it too not Ribery...French speaking country can do ojoro oooo

On a serious note, Cristiano Ronaldo deserves the FIFA Ballon D'or
(What are you trryying!?)
Let the recoreds state that...as you feel sad for Mikel

Btw, Yaya deserves it even though the fact that he was once at that Camp Nou makes me hate him
Hiss!
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by ABExcellency: 2:46pm On Jan 10, 2014
This is cheating. The award is supose 2 b given 2 mikel in al ramifications

1 Like

Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by ogoci(m): 2:46pm On Jan 10, 2014
CAF 2013 AWARD - BLAME IT ON GEJ
The lost of CAF 2013 Player of the Year award by Mikel Obi has been blamed on President Jonathan by APC.
Lai Muhammad stated that it was because of cluelessness of Jonathan that made Mikel to lose the award. Meanwhile Boko Haram has claimed responsibility and threatened more if Mikel does not convert to Is** ASAP.
Junaid Muhammad however, when approached by a journalist explained that blood would flow if such a thing repeats itself again. Nasir El-Rufai has also lent his voice, attributing it to Jonathan's lack of fighting corruption. He stated that Nigerians demands to know what happened to votes cast in favour of Mikel. He however raised alarm that the voting system might have been hijacked and rigged by PDP.
In his usual swift reaction, the President has ordered immediate formation of a five man-committee to be headed by Dr Doyin Okupe to investigate the cause of the lost of the award by Mikel. The committee has just two weeks to submit its report.
Waoh! Fast move……!
Re: Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 by Richiy(f): 3:14pm On Jan 10, 2014
When its time to show patroitism, these Nigerians wont show...mtchew

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Cristiano Ronaldo's Son Scores Seven Goals In Half For Juventus Youth Team(Photo / Israel Adesanya Retains UFC Middleweight Championship After Beating Romero / Eric Dier Leaves Pitch During Chelsea Match To Use The Toilet, Mourinho Follows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.