Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,884 members, 7,828,142 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:50 AM

Men Kick Friendship. . . Women Treat It Like Glass - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Men Kick Friendship. . . Women Treat It Like Glass (2838 Views)

Cossy Orjiakor Holds A Glass Of Wine With Her Boobs (Photos) / Marrying A Nigerian Pastor: What Is it Like? / It's Like She Likes Me, But Too Shy To Be Herself Near Me. Hw Cn I Approach Her? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Men Kick Friendship. . . Women Treat It Like Glass by Caliente(m): 12:08pm On Aug 14, 2008
[size=13pt]I stumbled on this quote and really kinda agree with it. The generalization implied here is that all men and women behave this way, a common fallacy that is widespread on nairaland. Is it really saying that friendship usually goes to pieces because of the way women go about it?

Men kick friendship around like a football, but it doesn't seem to crack. Women treat it like glass and it goes to pieces.

What do you think? Is it true or not?[/size]
Re: Men Kick Friendship. . . Women Treat It Like Glass by ChinenyeN(m): 9:40pm On Aug 14, 2008
It's very interesting. For this case though, I BELIEVE that generalizing can be permitted, somewhat. See, when people talk of men, in general, the conceptual understanding is of your average guy, average build, somewhat emotionally resistant and distant, and relying mainly on logic and straight-forward thinking to make life choices. When people talk of women, in general, the conceptual understanding is of your average lady, average build, emotionally intouch, and mainly relying on intuition to make life choices. These generalizations aren't always true, but they're true enough to be used as a foundation for discussions like this.

"Men kick friendship around like a football, but it doesn't seem to crack. Women treat it like glass and it goes to pieces." This can be interpreted in different ways, but based on what I said previously and what I think, this is how I would interpret it:

1. Men kick friendship around like a football, but it doesn't seem to crack. - Men most likely view friendship as comradeship. Two friends that are male are more likely to act like allies or comrades. They can be friendly with each other, and, whenever they need to, they can be straight-foreward and just even completely against each other, but they'll still be friends. It's more along the lines of an issue of trust and cordially/mentally being on the same page as each other. "I trust you, you trust me. It's all good". If one guy isn't feeling up to it, the other(s) work more to help him up with a helping hand.

2. Women treat it like glass and it goes to pieces. - Women most likely view friendship as being more of a support group. When women are friends (generally speaking) they are friends in packs. At least, that's what I've seen. It seems that for women, frienship is more along the lines of an issue of affection and trust. From what I've seen, friends that are girls act more like pillars for each other. When someone in the group isn't feeling up to it, the others work to support that person (emotionally). They emotionally lean on each other. Emotional times are (more or less) delicate (don't know any other way to say it). Women don't want to lose their support group, so they work toward keeping those emotional links together and those pillars standing. Then when someone isn't able to provide some kind of support, it's looked upon a certain way. Again, this is based off what I've seen. I don't really know why women treat friendship like glass, but I know they seem to. And what I've said is just based off what I've observed between different "support groups".

So, based on that, the idea of friendship differs between men and women and it will be treated differently by both sides. I wouldn't advocate any other way for either sex to handle friendship, because the way they handle it so far seems to work well enough for them. So, I do somewhat agree with friendship going to pieces because of the way women handle it. I intepret "going to pieces" as "shattering beyond repair". The women can be civil with each other, but more often than no, they won't be friendly. Usually though, it takes a while for frienship between women to go to pieces, but it doesn't take a lot.

To finish, what I've just said is all based off my own observation and experiences and what I know to generally be true. It's subject to change, but I doubt it'll change much, if at all.
Re: Men Kick Friendship. . . Women Treat It Like Glass by Nobody: 9:41pm On Aug 14, 2008
My gosh!!!
If you can't summarize, please don't bore us all.
Re: Men Kick Friendship. . . Women Treat It Like Glass by tope2000(f): 9:44pm On Aug 14, 2008
Ruby_Pearl:

My gosh!!!

grin grin

Caliente:

[size=13pt]I stumbled on this quote and really kind of agree with it. The generalization implied here is that all men and women behave this way, a common fallacy that is widespread on nairaland. Is it really saying that friendship usually goes to pieces because of the way women go about it?

Men kick friendship around like a football, but it doesn't seem to crack. Women treat it like glass and it goes to pieces.

What do you think? Is it true or not?[/size]

i think its very true
Re: Men Kick Friendship. . . Women Treat It Like Glass by ogb5(m): 10:01pm On Aug 14, 2008
it depends on the man and woman, people are different.

and which Nigeria babe dey treat frienship like glass. No be those babe when no dey send, abi them don change
Re: Men Kick Friendship. . . Women Treat It Like Glass by mosunade(f): 10:02pm On Aug 14, 2008
very stupid post.
Re: Men Kick Friendship. . . Women Treat It Like Glass by HRhotness(f): 10:05pm On Aug 14, 2008
Caliente:

GUILTY!

A wonderful friendship i was working so hard to preserve just went to pieces and i hav been left wonering where it all went wrong

I guess i was just trying too hard cry cry sad sad sad sad
Re: Men Kick Friendship. . . Women Treat It Like Glass by yongbabe(f): 11:07pm On Aug 14, 2008
Soooo true,
men are more carefree dan women
Re: Men Kick Friendship. . . Women Treat It Like Glass by ChinenyeN(m): 11:52pm On Aug 14, 2008
Ruby_Pearl:

My gosh!!!

grin Sorry.
Re: Men Kick Friendship. . . Women Treat It Like Glass by anijummai(f): 11:55pm On Aug 14, 2008
i also believe that you lose something when you hold onto it too tight cos only fear will make you do that. i guess people who play it like a football are secure with what they have and don't think they can lose it.
Re: Men Kick Friendship. . . Women Treat It Like Glass by Raymond88(m): 11:57pm On Aug 14, 2008
Men stab each other in the face in the moring and have cold beers at night while women stab each other in the back at night and become eternal enemies?
Re: Men Kick Friendship. . . Women Treat It Like Glass by DeepZone: 12:52am On Aug 15, 2008
I keep my fellow female friends at arms lenght, probably because I can't deal with the drama besides, i've always played with boys from childhood. I prefer keeping men as friends to women. Every private information you give to a fellow woman will be not necessarily be treated as classified because she MUST leak it to someone that knows you, that's for sure.
Re: Men Kick Friendship. . . Women Treat It Like Glass by Hannibal: 3:17am On Aug 15, 2008
DeepZone:

I keep my fellow female friends at arms lenght, probably because I can't deal with the drama besides, i've always played with boys from childhood. I prefer keeping men as friends to women. Every private information you give to a fellow woman will be not necessarily be treated as classified because she MUST leak it to someone that knows you, that's for sure.

Village tom boy. angry angry angry
Re: Men Kick Friendship. . . Women Treat It Like Glass by Nobody: 3:36am On Aug 15, 2008
I guess I'm different.
Re: Men Kick Friendship. . . Women Treat It Like Glass by StephenP(m): 3:51am On Aug 15, 2008
I see some truth in this.
Re: Men Kick Friendship. . . Women Treat It Like Glass by topup: 4:50am On Aug 15, 2008
I actually truly appreciated chinenyeN's efforts to analyse a question that provokes several different responses. You can always choose to just skim across the surface and put togther a one-liner or actually do justice to the topic.

I personally believe that Women treat friendship with the uttermost care, we need friendship, whilst at times I feel that a man all he needs is companionship. I believe these two things are different. I have witnessed it even.

Have you ever been in one of those situations when two boys are introduced to each other,
Boy 1'You play Tennis?
Boy 2 'Nah, never tried it'
Boy 1 'How about playstation'
Boy 2 'Yeah, I have one at home'
Boy1 'Cool, do you play Pro Evo?"
Boy 2 'Yeah I do'
Boy 1 'Cool I have it, wanna play'
Boy 2 'Why not'
And the boys are left getting along and playing for hours, with the occasional, 'you suck' and 'dang I lost' being yelled. Summary, the boys only have to find one thing in common and they become suitable companions for that afternoon, they don't worry about tomorrow, or how the other friends will receive him , or what anyone will think about this courtship or whether the new guy meets the standards.

Two girls on the other hand ,

Girl 1 'Do you watch Sabrina the teenage witch'
Girl 2 'Not really, I watch saved by the bell instead'
Girl 1 'Oh, I used to watch that, but it got boring'
Girl 2 'Do you like putting on nail polish?'
Girl 1 'I'm not allowed, see?'
Girl 2 'Oh right, are your parents strict?'
Girl 1 'Kinda, I'm not allowed a boyfriend'
Girl 2 'Neither am I but I have one'
Girl 1 'Really, but that's going against your parents'
Girl 2 'I know, but I don't care'
Girl 1 (Gives girl two a disapproving look) 'Well, all I know is that I wouldn't do that. I really care about my parents'
Girl 2 'I do too, but I just don't want them to control my life' 'Do you like reading sugar magazine'
Girl 1 'Yeah when I have nothing else better to do, can I have a look at that issue. I haven't read it yet'
Girl 2 'Of course' Tosses magazine at girl 1 and walks over to choose nailpolish
At first Girl 1 and 2 are staying true to themselves, Girl 1 reads magazine whilst Girl 2 paints nailpolish. Over time they will both start mimicking each other. Girl 2 will probably start talking about boys and getting a boyfriend and Girl 1 will start thinking nail polish to be a very trendy necessity indeed. It's as if for girls to be friends we have to have everything in common with each other, love the same food, shop the same places, be into guys at the same time etc, Girls are pickier with their friends, and that's why we find friendship something to be handled with the uttermost care, we've found almost our female soulmates and we will do most things to try and keep them in our lives.

What's anybody's take my ideas?
Re: Men Kick Friendship. . . Women Treat It Like Glass by Nobody: 5:00am On Aug 15, 2008
topup:

Girls are pickier with their friends, and that's why we find friendship something to be handled with the uttermost care, we've found almost our female soulmates and we will do most things to try and keep them in our lives.

What's anybody's take my ideas?

Nicely said but to be honest here my friendships are just on the surface, hardly have depths.
Re: Men Kick Friendship. . . Women Treat It Like Glass by ChinenyeN(m): 5:28am On Aug 15, 2008
Thank you, topup.

topup:

I personally believe that Women treat friendship with the uttermost care, we need friendship, whilst at times I feel that a man all he needs is companionship. I believe these two things are different. I have witnessed it even.

Companionship fits well. I like that one better than the one's I've chosen. I wouldn't say the ones I've chosen don't fit. Its just that I'd use those ones for (allies, comrades(hip)) for two guys that have been friends for a while; extended frienships. I still like companionship better, though.

topup:

At first Girl 1 and 2 are staying true to themselves, Girl 1 reads magazine whilst Girl 2 paints nailpolish. Over time they will both start mimicking each other. Girl 2 will probably start talking about boys and getting a boyfriend and Girl 1 will start thinking nail polish to be a very trendy necessity indeed. It's as if for girls to be friends we have to have everything in common with each other, love the same food, shop the same places, be into guys at the same time etc, Girls are pickier with their friends, and that's why we find friendship something to be handled with the uttermost care, we've found almost our female soulmates and we will do most things to try and keep them in our lives.

What's anybody's take my ideas?[/color]

I wanted to say those exact same words. Aside from that, I agree with what you've said. That seems to be the general truth so far about the behavior of men and women towards the idea of friendship. Of course, there will be exceptions, but for the most part, this seems to be a general truth.
Re: Men Kick Friendship. . . Women Treat It Like Glass by Caliente(m): 1:33pm On Aug 19, 2008
[size=13pt]Nice replies I must say especially those that took the pains to delve deep and also those that took the painful pleasure to read through.[/size]
Re: Men Kick Friendship. . . Women Treat It Like Glass by Caliente(m): 1:36pm On Aug 19, 2008
mosun_ade:

very stupid post.

[size=13pt]Sounds like Amy Winehouse prototype.[/size]

(1) (Reply)

Is It Possible For Two Short Couples To Give Birth To Tall Or Average Children? / Am Developing Strong Feelings For My Coursin: / 13 Effective Ways To Get Over Your Crush ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.