Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,088 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:22 AM

Preaching In The Bus - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Preaching In The Bus (14459 Views)

Poll: Preaching in the bus: How do you find it?

enjoyable: 34% (29 votes)
annoying: 65% (56 votes)
This poll has ended

Policewoman Spotted Preaching In A Bus In Lagos Today: (pic) / El-rufai Moves To Regulate Religious Preaching In Kaduna / Nigerian Man Starts Preaching In London Bus And Is Told To Shut Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Go Down)

Re: Preaching In The Bus by Nobody: 7:42pm On Aug 28, 2008
madamkoko:

why won't a slowpoke call such stupid conversation fun. you probably no bigger than grapes.

sour grapes you mean? grin
Re: Preaching In The Bus by madamkoko: 7:57pm On Aug 28, 2008
ode. sour grapes ko, sour grapes ni.
Re: Preaching In The Bus by Nobody: 8:01pm On Aug 28, 2008
madamkoko:

ode. sour grapes ko, sour grapes ni.

someone is very bitter. cheesy May it not kill you, if a mere forum makes you this angry then God oops sorry "higher beings" help us . . . in dreams that is.
Re: Preaching In The Bus by madamkoko: 8:02pm On Aug 28, 2008
My friend angry I'm not bitter. grin
Re: Preaching In The Bus by Nobody: 8:04pm On Aug 28, 2008
madamkoko:

My friend angry I'm not bitter. grin

dont try so hard to convince urself. cheesy
Re: Preaching In The Bus by mazaje(m): 8:07pm On Aug 28, 2008
Davidylan is filled with the spirt today while madamkoko is in love
Re: Preaching In The Bus by Cristalz(f): 8:08pm On Aug 28, 2008
Preaching in buses won't be so bad if the preacher could just get his message across in a gently audible tone of voice,and keep it brief,straight to the point. Max. 7 mins. One can't force people to accept Jesus. Dunno why the shouting thing is eating into every preacher these days. Do they think everybody's going deaf?

As for those that beg ask for 'contributions',i really believe the preaching is their regular job.You can bet the same guy is on different buses plying a particular route every day,preaching the same thing,asking for the same 'contribution'. If he makes like 1k in one bus trip,and he does 5 trips for that day,business don land o.
Next day he moves to another route before his face becomes too familiar in the previous place.That could be bad for business grin

Anywayz,as every preacher is more or less a shouter these days,i think its plain annoying. When those wey get mic for inside church dey shout,na the ones wey dey use ordinary mouth for outside no go shout? I tire.
Re: Preaching In The Bus by madamkoko: 8:11pm On Aug 28, 2008
@ Cristalz

FUNNY.!!! L O L grin grin
Re: Preaching In The Bus by mazaje(m): 8:14pm On Aug 28, 2008
I say no be small thing i see as i dey naija ohhh, person dey use sweet lines and talking points dey preach for bus dey ask for offering and people dey give am money just because him use sweet lines on them. chie man no fit laugh
Re: Preaching In The Bus by crious: 8:22pm On Aug 28, 2008
hmm this is a delicate ssue,why? Jesus said we should preach the gospel so some people are just doing what has been placed on their heart like a burden. however i;
'm not disputing the fact that there are s ome people who should just SHUT THE HELL UP cos they have no idea about what they are saying and they onlymake people MADDER and thus see christianity as madness not what it truly is. so pls on behalf of all the trouble preachers, i plead, forgive. merci
Re: Preaching In The Bus by madamkoko: 8:24pm On Aug 28, 2008
Nice one and they can start by giving people thier money back.
Re: Preaching In The Bus by Cristalz(f): 8:39pm On Aug 28, 2008
crious:

so please on behalf of all the trouble preachers, i plead, forgive. merci

Are you one of them? undecided grin

@madamkoko
I don't think the word 'give' exists in such people's dictionary. . .unless they are the ones on the receiving end,of course grin
Re: Preaching In The Bus by mazaje(m): 8:44pm On Aug 28, 2008
If jesus wants the gospel to speread he will spred it himself, i thought he is god, why will a god that is all powerfull and can do all things rely on his very imperfet creatures( people) to do things for him when he can do it himself? i thought they said he is all powerfull and can do what ever he wants? if he truly can then i see no reason why he will need imperfect people to propagate his messages fo him. i know the apologist will say that hs spirit lives in people but what is the spirit of god? why must it live inside people? why isnt it visible? reverened king had his spirit didnt he?
Re: Preaching In The Bus by mayrho(m): 9:43pm On Aug 28, 2008
when u guys make comments about "men of God" or God, remember What happened to the kids Elijah cursed and of course the beatles and story of Titanic.
CAUTION if you don't want to listen get an Ipod or better still get a car if you in a bus abeg don't let your mouth put u into untold yawa
Llet God judge if they are trully His.
I know its not very easy but better safe than sorry
Re: Preaching In The Bus by madamkoko: 9:50pm On Aug 28, 2008
Bus is not the only place these people preach at. They shout in the marketplace and on the streets.
Re: Preaching In The Bus by huxley(m): 9:59pm On Aug 28, 2008
That is simply public nuissance. If I was there I would ask him to stop and respect the public space of the other passengers. It is bad enough that these christians behave in such despicable a manner, but to have the gabbage from the bible spoken at by these shrieking preachers is my idea of hell.
Re: Preaching In The Bus by Cristalz(f): 10:14pm On Aug 28, 2008
huxley:

That is simply public nuissance. If I was there I would ask him to stop and respect the public space of the other passengers. It is bad enough that these christians behave in such despicable a manner, but to have the gabbage from the bible spoken at by these shrieking preachers is my idea of hell.

Taking things a little too far now,aren't you? Anyway,perhaps youz an atheist.
Re: Preaching In The Bus by ndimension(m): 10:18pm On Aug 28, 2008
It is true that some people who are zealous to preach the gospel don't have good communication skills.But the message remains true.
JESUS THE SON OF GOD CAME INTO THIS WORLD ABOUT 2000 YRS AGO AND DIED FOR THE SIN OF MAN AND THE WHOLE WORLD. THE SALVATION IS FREE TO ANYONE WHO ACCEPTS IT NOW BUT HE IS COMING BACK SOON NOT AS A SAVIOR ANYMORE BUT AS A JUDGE.I SHUDDER WHEN I THINK OF THE FATE OF THOSE WHO FIND THEMSELVES ON THE WRONG SIDE. SINCE I ACCEPTED JESUS INTO MY LIFE,IT HAS NEVER BEEN THE SAME.THINGS HAVE CHANGED FOR GOOD.I HAVE PEACE THAT I CAN'T EXPLAIN.

I LOVE YOU ALL(including those who believe and those who don't)
Re: Preaching In The Bus by madamkoko: 10:19pm On Aug 28, 2008
Taking things a little too far now,aren't you? Anyway,perhaps youz an atheist.

I don't know how that is taking things too far. The man is stating his opinion.
Re: Preaching In The Bus by Hannibal: 10:23pm On Aug 28, 2008
Cristalz:

Preaching in buses won't be so bad if the preacher could just get his message across in a gently audible tone of voice,and keep it brief,straight to the point. Max. 7 mins. One can't force people to accept Jesus. Dunno why the shouting thing is eating into every preacher these days. Do they think everybody's going deaf?

As for those that beg ask for 'contributions',i really believe the preaching is their regular job.You can bet the same guy is on different buses plying a particular route every day,preaching the same thing,asking for the same 'contribution'. If he makes like 1k in one bus trip,and he does 5 trips for that day,business don land o.
Next day he moves to another route before his face becomes too familiar in the previous place.That could be bad for business grin

Anywayz,as every preacher is more or less a shouter these days,i think its plain annoying. When those wey get mic for inside church dey shout,na the ones wey dey use ordinary mouth for outside no go shout? I tire.

I don't see anything wrong with preaching in the Bus.
It's interesting and it gives u an opportunity to listen to someone else's point concerning salvation.
If people can advertise wares on the bus, politicians can campaign on buses, why is preaching the gospel seen as wrong or offensive??

As per contributions. . . . . . . . I am not really fazed.
One thing ma conscience tells me is giving out to GOD. . . . Whether the preacher is fake or not is not ma cup of tea.
Let him answer that with God. When they ask for contribution, i give what i have in peace and forget about what the preacher might do with the money.
Moral of the story: People should learn to be TOLERANT. cool
Re: Preaching In The Bus by Cristalz(f): 10:24pm On Aug 28, 2008
madamkoko:

I don't know how that is taking things too far. The man is stating his opinion.

I realize that.  .  .that's why i said perhaps hez an atheist. Cos if he is,then therez nuthing nobody can do if he thinks the Bible's garbage.
Re: Preaching In The Bus by Hannibal: 10:30pm On Aug 28, 2008
ndimension:

It is true that some people who are zealous to preach the gospel don't have good communication skills.But the message remains true.

You couldn't have spewed that better.
Well done, mate!!! cool
Re: Preaching In The Bus by huxley(m): 10:33pm On Aug 28, 2008
Communication skills or not, garbage is garbage no matter how you dress it.
Re: Preaching In The Bus by Cristalz(f): 10:35pm On Aug 28, 2008
@H
The point here is not about preaching in buses,its the manner in which people preach in buses.And their asking for ''contributions'' afterward. If you've ever been present during one you'll understand people's grievances here.

After the terrible noise pollution one gets from the street,especially those that reside in commercial nerve centres like Lagos,you get into a bus only to have this guy preaching at the top of his voice into your ears.And its not like its for a few minutes,he goes on and on like therez no tomorrow. After that,when the bus gets to its stop,he starts asking you to 'contribute' money to further the Lord's work. Be honest here,would you smile,walk up to the man and tell him to pray for you,then drop a nice sum of money in his envelope?? If you would,well,that'ld be quite rare. But to most people,its quite irritating because most of these guys just use the preaching thing as a money-making venture.
Not saying all are phoneys,but if they must preach,they should at least do it with minimal noise pollution (respect for other people's eardrums) and if possible without the envelope.
Re: Preaching In The Bus by Hannibal: 10:40pm On Aug 28, 2008
huxley:

Communication skills or not, garbage is garbage no matter how you dress it.

So a preacher speaks garbage because he is not fluent in English??
Is English his/her mother tongue??
Are people born with 2 brain cell these days?? shocked shocked shocked shocked
Cheese n Rice!!!!

@ Cristalz,

I understand where you are coming from. . . . .

However, what is so obscene/wrong in contributing to the work of God??
Does it really matter if the preacher is phoney?? As long as he calls the name of Jesus, i am fyne.
Whether he uses it to buy paraga or crack cocaine is not ma business anymore. . . . . Putting ma money is in his hands was done with the mind that i am contributing to God's works. . . . .Thatz all that matters.
As per the noise factor, Nigerians are mechanically programmed to raise their voices. . . .U don't believe me?? Watch Nollywood movies.
Re: Preaching In The Bus by huxley(m): 10:43pm On Aug 28, 2008
Hannibal:

So a preacher speaks garbage because he is not fluent in English??
Is English his/her mother tongue??
Are people born with 2 brain cell these days?? shocked shocked shocked shocked
Cheese n Rice!!!!

@ Cristalz,

I understand where you are coming from. . . . .

However, what is so obscene/wrong in contributing to the work of God??
Does it really matter if the preacher is phoney?? As long as he calls the name of Jesus, i am fyne.
Whether he uses it to buy paraga or crack cocaine is not ma business anymore. . . . . Putting ma money is in his hands was done with the mind that i am contributing to God's works. . . . .Thatz all that matters.
As per the noise factor, Nigerians are mechanically programmed to raise their voices. . . .You don't believe me?? Watch Nollywood movies.

I made no reference to the preacher's ability to speak good/fluent English. The garbage is primarily in the content of his preaching ie religious superstitions
Re: Preaching In The Bus by Cristalz(f): 10:45pm On Aug 28, 2008
@H

The message is true,no doubt at all. But the messengers should at least try to portray some level of civility. That's all.

And,not all Nigerians are so receptive to noise.Most of the ones you see,na condition cause am.Those that can avoid it would rather stay that way,trust me.

Leave Huxley be.Hez an atheist.  .  .everything Christian is garbage to him.Its not about spoken English  smiley
Re: Preaching In The Bus by huxley(m): 10:48pm On Aug 28, 2008
Cristalz:

@H

The message is true,no doubt at all. But the messengers should at least try to portray some level of civility. That's all.

And,not all Nigerians are so receptive to noise.Most of the ones you see,na condition cause am.Those that can avoid it would rather stay that way,trust me.

Leave Huxley be.Hez an atheist.  .  .everything Christian is garbage to him.Its not about spoken English  smiley

How do you know it is true? Are you not simply taking it on faith?
Re: Preaching In The Bus by Cristalz(f): 10:50pm On Aug 28, 2008
@huxley

Are you calling me out? grin I refuse to be drawn into a ''God is real/God doesn't exist'' battle tonight,or any other night for that matter. Won't change your opinion in any way,so why should i bother?
Neither can you change mine,so let's just find a way to get along,lol.  grin
Re: Preaching In The Bus by Hannibal: 10:53pm On Aug 28, 2008
huxley:

I made no reference to the preacher's ability to speak good/fluent English. The garbage is primarily in the content of his preaching ie religious superstitions

You call the message of God garbage??
Are u doing this to be famous or u are genetically stupid??
I have met atheists and not a single one condemned other religion so where did u crawl out from??
No one is asking u to accept/embrace God but don't open your mouth like a drunkard when addressing issues.
It's amusing that a Godless being like u is posting in religion section. . . . .Why don't u try the AUTO section or simply go get a  good self-service!!!

@ Cristalz,

Nigerians should just be more tolerant.
Poverty, strife and frustration have eaten deep into people's mind and an average Nigerian is an accident waiting to happen.
A time bomb!!!!!
Re: Preaching In The Bus by Cristalz(f): 10:55pm On Aug 28, 2008
Hannibal:

@ Cristalz,

Nigerians should just be more tolerant.
Poverty, strife and frustration have eaten deep into people's mind and an average Nigeria is an accident waiting to happen.
A time bomb!!!!!

Put those 3 together,and you get a very low tolerance level,especially for avoidable,unnecessary happenings.
Re: Preaching In The Bus by folahann(m): 11:14pm On Aug 28, 2008
I know where to go if i want to listen to music sorry i meant Preaching

How do you want the Muslims or traditionalists and none practicing christians to feel when they hear "bunch of rubbish" being spewed?

Ehn, what if the Imams start their incantations very loud and clear in the bus you are in, won't you feel different?

My cousin came traveled to Ghana in a bus and some people organised a church service during the journey, sang praises,worshiped, prayed (you know those crazy prayers),collected offertory and did anointing service . . . how crazy!!

Me think things like these should be done individually. Everybody in the bus those not have the same stuff like you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14)

2018 Rhapsody Of Realities Thread! / Can A Genuine Christian Be A Nigerian Politician? / Is It Right Or Wrong To Give A Beggar My Tithes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.