Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,859 members, 7,813,935 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:56 PM

SSS Invades Channels Tv - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SSS Invades Channels Tv (8916 Views)

Again, Saraki’s Supporters Invades CCT Trial, Demands Fairness Of Trial [PHOTOS] / Benin Republic Invades Kwara, Nigeria Takes Over 16 Border Villages / Channels TV Addresses Dame Patient As President Of Nigeria [photo] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by olboy: 12:14am On Sep 18, 2008
let us all not worry ourselves about channels tv's license, it's only suspended, not revoked, even though there's no provision for suspension in the law NBC is claiming to follow. i'm sure the govt just wants to teach channels magt a lesson about airing what the govt sees as sensitive and otherwise. it's only disturbing that  A DEMOCRATIC GOVT which claims to live by THE RULE OF LAW, could descend so low as mess itself up this way, this day and age, those are the kind of things that we knew with military dictatorship. really unfortunate that yar adua doesnt seem to have any tolerance at all for any "mishandling" concerning his health matters, first casualty was kingibe, 2nd channels, who's it gonna be next, the VP? i wonder y there has to be so much brouhaha about a mere mortal's state of health, and the UNgentleman himself is not helping matters. we just hope he really decides on time to SOJI instead of dullin himself around those who ill advise him.
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by Ubpeters(m): 12:45am On Sep 18, 2008
It is a very sad news indeed that NBC would go as far as revoking the license of Channels tv. I can't help but react to this because I feel this is the worst news to come out of Nigeria since the declaration of Hurricane Babarrosa - the Oil War by the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) early this week.

This private news-station has been a giant and a role model in the manner in which it carries out its broadcasting as is evident in their investigative journalism, quality of programming as well as quality of video and the prompt airing of breaking news from Nigeria. The station employs some of the best talent in the industry and some of the most sophisticated technology in its bussiness. Suffice it to say that it is only a blind man that would draw a comparison between a news presentation from Channels tv and NTA news. Their news anchors are like those we see everyday on CNN, thats how good these guys really are.

I usually visit www.channelstv.com every evening to watch a 15 minutes newsclip of major events in Nigeria and I think its extremely sad that Channels tv would be taken off the air for a mistake like this, everyone makes mistakes and I understand that the news was aired as an unconfirmed report and when it was confirmed as false they immediately enlightened the the public that the earlier report was false.

This happens all the time in major news organisations. For example if a source is deemed reliable enough, CNN may break a story from that source as an unconfirmed story and that is exactly what Channels tv did here. They must have thought that the newsfeed which supposedly came from NAN was authentic enough and Channels tv has a running subscription with NAN. So they broke the story. In today's competitive World, everyone wants to be the first and perhaps the best in a choosen field of endeavour, in this case, Channels tv has always had the desire to be the first and the best when it comes to breaking news from Nigeria and I don't see anything wrong with that ambition.

I also understand the position of the Federal Government when it comes to the so-called misleading information. Pres. Yar Adua appears to be someone who has enormous respect for the rule of law; he never interfered with the decisions of the election tribunals that sat or are presently sitting in various parts of the Country. I personally don't think that he ordered the invasion of Channels Headquarters in Abuja and Lagos; it must have been some unscrupulous top shots in his Administration. Nigerian leaders seem to be too insecure whenever they make the claim that someone will overthrow them from power simply because of a rumour or , maybe they have to teach me a lesson on National Security!

I sincerely hope that our Leaders will show some wisdom in the handling of this matter as the media is a watchdog for democracy and an eye for those of us in the diaspora. The Journalists need some freedom in carrying out their responsibility and it is time for the lawmakers to step in and pass the freedom of information bill. I also sincerely hope that NBC will lift the suspension on the license of Nigeria's biggest private tv station.

The world is watching,
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by cabali(m): 1:22am On Sep 18, 2008
So the government is that effective!

why dont they send these sss men to the creeks to shut down terrorism on d niger delta.

pLease allow me to go to bed. D man is just confused
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by keba(m): 1:44am On Sep 18, 2008
If the FOI bill had been passed, i don't think this would have happened.
Channels are having problems with the government for the second time
abi, na bad belle
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by olawonder(m): 2:04am On Sep 18, 2008
Once again, another political blunder in the hands of selfish and incompetent people we found governing the people of Nigeria.
In any part of the world, including the UK where I live, any News (either self verified facts or transmitted by a third party) can be aired and exergerations could even be added by the media. If any political figure or personality including even the Prime Minister was offended, the worse sanction(s) would be to apologise asap or worst still, if matters are critically serious, only the person or people who gathered that news would be questioned (and fired if need be) without any interfarence to other programes or the crew members let alone closing the whole of the station. Its totally unfair for the SS Depatment to treat people like that and its a victimization on Channels' vulnerability.
That country (Nigeria) is not getting anywhere with these set of people in power.
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by innoman: 5:05am On Sep 18, 2008
i quite disagree with those who think d closure of Channels is right . must one go to US to confirm hurricane is sweeping across some US cities before one can report it or did any Nigeria Journalist go to Iraq during US war on Iraq to Confirm the news before they were broadcasted here,, just in the same way, Channels should not b blammed for not flying 2 Aso rock to confirm news that emmanated from News Agency of Nigeria "NAN" . For Gods sake if any media outfit should b closed down it should b NAN 4 disseminating such unconfirmed reports to her numerous subscriped media houses, After all the news was sent to Channels the usual way they had always received news items from NAN.
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by deept(m): 6:06am On Sep 18, 2008
Nigeria, always majoring on the minor and minoring on the major.
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by SOJ(m): 7:41am On Sep 18, 2008
YAR A DUA SHOULD RESIGN!!

so there! Hav said it! SSS come close me down,,,,,,

or close NL down,,,lmao

Seriously, FG action is very inappropriate and dictatorial; evry stattion has the right to air reports that come their way witout undue censorship.
I would suggest all TV stations and supporting bodies shuld rise against all this and reject this action because it involves them all;it could be another station next time.

Lets see if they'll ban all private TV stations as well angry
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by Ibime(m): 7:46am On Sep 18, 2008
Can you blame Yar'Adua?

Nigerians like to listen to myths, gossip and Urban Legend too much.

Such Urban Legends can destabilise the country.

In a country where the media is not mature enough to report the facts as they are, Govt should intervene especially on issues of national interest.

Does free speech give media the right to propagate lies?
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by Scopium: 7:50am On Sep 18, 2008
[size=13pt]Channels should have verified the story before going on air with such. I don't see anything wrong with punishing them for such stupid mistake.[/size]
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by SOJ(m): 7:52am On Sep 18, 2008
@Ibime

wat destabilisation do u need again? Have u seen the homeless in ur area?Have u not seen the beggars who throng the streets?Have u not met ur next door neighbour who doesn't know whether he will eat breakfast or not? Have u not seen how terrible the roads are? Have u been to PH lately and see how pple leave in constant fear of their lives?

And u r talking about destabilisation? wat else is left to be destabilised please tell me?  Cos i need an education in destabilisation,abeg!
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by Nobody: 8:03am On Sep 18, 2008
@ Topic

Let the Government close down all the media houses that reported Yaradua's ill health

They are the Target. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by Nobody: 8:18am On Sep 18, 2008
Confirm shocked Confirm from who?

Did anybody confirm Yaradua's sickness?

Please, give me a break on this confirm thing.
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by MrInfo1(m): 8:21am On Sep 18, 2008
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by santavista: 8:27am On Sep 18, 2008
Channels is paying a price for being pro-active

whoever shut down the station is being overzealous in his/her assignment and I concur that it might not be Yaradull's idea but he must have granted the closure

As per verifying the news, I guess that was unnecessary. The source that gave the news NAN is credible enough. Even AFP relayed the same news before Channels TV. Why not lock up NAN? Thus the only verification outstanding was to call Yaradull himself because even his press secretary wouldnt have been of help

Lets call a spade a spade, this government is insensitive. If Channels TV is as respected in Nigeria as the CNN is respected in USA/UK the worst case scenario is to sanction them or charge them to court. Fair hearing is paramount. The closure is barbaric and injurious to the image of this struggling nation.

This is to cause and stir fear in the Nigeria media. A pity case. Bad advisers will lead to Bad governance.
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by hanen(f): 8:40am On Sep 18, 2008
They are over-reacting. Channels retracted the comment, what more do they want? It happens all the time to even the best media houses. Sometimes someone's going to give out wrong information. Calling the SSS to ransack their offices? Yet when they're robbing a bank, the police will get there an hour late.

Please, as usual, Nigerians overdoing simple issues and ignoring the bigger ones.
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by landis(m): 8:56am On Sep 18, 2008
This is the begining of 'terrible things' to come.

In democratic setting, they will file charges against such TV station not close it down.

The worst will be a fine to pay as people work there and families depend on the income.

There goes YARADUL's rule of law.

His days as President are numbered.
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by illiest(m): 9:07am On Sep 18, 2008
There is freedom of speech, why should they confirm what from NAN thats not correct, the govt is just too bad,  i could remeber when AIT was closed because they covered the bellview plane crash first which was professional enough and needs an ward, because the govt didnt know were the plane crashed.

The nigerian govt almost closed down CNN when they covered live the militants in the niger delta only say thier power no reach, lipsrsealed

Of course when you dont tell your followers the truth about what is wrong with your health the media has to do so, up till now no ones knows y KINGIBE ws removed just like that and u expect the media to keep shut.

Me i go yarn, me i go speak my mind , make we yarn dem think sey we blind,

even they have the power i know they would only approve NTA and close down all other stations including DSTV, na so them take one close bigbrothe africa.

Yaradua mumu!!! u beat do something about light, roads, security, jobs , transportation, rather than act like an ass.

CHANNELS REMAINS THE BEST LOCAL TV when it comes to news. because they dont take sides
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by emmydee(m): 9:20am On Sep 18, 2008
Why would Channels TV air such a rumour. Thats stupid journalism. So they have to bear the consequenses. Do you even realize who is involved and what is involved? , The President of Nigeria, and Change of Power.
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by biggjoe(m): 9:22am On Sep 18, 2008
The only that really meant anything to me in all these posts is:

'omo yaradua must have gotten one of mugabe's kidneys, nigerians be warned'
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by semid4lyfe(m): 9:37am On Sep 18, 2008
The order 2 close down channels tv could only have come 4rm d man @ d very top!Baba Go slow him self a.k.a Yaradull and d news broken by channels is an open secret within d corridors of power.I'm afraid what channels has just done is 2 make dat Baba reverse his decision 2 resign just 2 prove them & d critics wrong until he eventually dies of his chaug strauss syndrome or d supreme court kicks him out.
Abeg make una give channels back em license
because its d only tv station worth listening 2 4 news.
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by funmio2: 9:39am On Sep 18, 2008
In analyzing situation and events, I always try to be as objective as possible. This is not just about the news that was aired, but rather on several confidential stories that Channels TV had aired in past times. This very unfortunate and it shows the level of civilization in the country called Nigeria.
This is definitely not the first time a media house will be shut by the so called SSS (state suppressing service). A magazine company was invaded last month by SSS just because a story was published about Yar a dua’s wife, Turaya (abi wetin den they call am?) and the staffs of the company were beaten seriously. Are we still in the military era where we cannot speak freely?
Although, I feel channels TV should have confirmed the news, but from who? The information was gotten from a supposed reliable source, so why do they have to confirm?
If channels could be sanctioned for airing false news, then what is the information minister still doing in the cabinet if he could lie to the whole world that your president went for lesser Hajj in the hospital?
Nigeria is a crap and very annoying.
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by Nobody: 10:00am On Sep 18, 2008
@ All
Check this link http://www.saharareporters.com/www/news/detail/?id=725

Let the SSS shut down Sahara reporters too. angry angry angry angry

Did I hear you say and Nairaland?
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by oluwdashmi(f): 10:04am On Sep 18, 2008
Why would Channels TV air such a rumour. Thats stupid journalism. So they have to bear the consequenses. Do you even realize who is involved and what is involved? , The President of Nigeria, and Change of Power.

Dictatorship ke? There is a difference between freedom of speech and careless journalism that could cause havoc in any nation.

Based on the rumour instability could arise as many Northerners are already talking about making sure that the North does not lose out should Yar'adua go as they have a slot that must be filled.

So, for Channels to air such serious issues based on unverified information then the TV station deserves to be sanctioned.

The other time we were told that Ibori's plane was found somewhere in West Africa and the papers made a lot of money selling trash to unsuspecting Nigerians.

Our media houses should wake up to responsible journalism, enough of the lies and misinformation that tend to cause problems in Nigeria while they smile to the banks.

@emmydee
You are talking out of sense!! This is not a military regime.

@Afam
What did the federal gov./sss do to the News Agency of Nigeria NAN, who gave channels the info? Do you know how many pple they must ve confirmed the story from b4 deciding to air it? In a democratic regime, judgement belongs to d court of law, not the president.

NLC and NUJ have sued the federal gov on that decision. This is why they have been delaying the FOI bill. The information maybe true, but they are only annoyed cos it has not been made public.
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by A3673(m): 10:12am On Sep 18, 2008
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by chukwubele(f): 10:24am On Sep 18, 2008
Very unfortunate  sad ! While I agree that that piece of news item could have caused havoc in the nation. I still think that  the outright shutting down of Channels and like a newspaper reports, revocation of their license may just be a tard too harsh. Haba them never do this kin tin before now . There used to be something in law called 'FIRST OFFENDER' Abi my people them don comot am when we no dey look?. This could just be a blow to the great 'RULE OF LAW' we have been hearing so much of since this government came into office.
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by favcom(m): 10:40am On Sep 18, 2008
I'm really mad at what just happened angry angry angry
This is supposed to be democracy, right
Why close down a media house for reporting whatever
I believe there's a better way of enforcing discipline
To me, this is nothing different from military action
I better keep my mouth before being shut down too lipsrsealed
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by Ibime(m): 10:40am On Sep 18, 2008
Does anyone remember when George Bush bombed Al Jazeera News agency in Iraq?

Information is power. This issue is a nationally sensitive issue. You cannot play with it the way you play with normal news stories. At a time when the vultures are circling over the presidency and in a situation that could lead to political and social instability, news channels should censor themselves abeg.

You know how Nigeria is. If people think the President is too ill to do his job, they will stop doing their job and start looking for ways to steal money. Reminds me of the time-lapse when Yar'Adua did not appoint cabinet for months. Na so so people take that opportunity to thief thief finish.
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by HERO111: 10:43am On Sep 18, 2008
well to me both parties went to d extremes. Why should channels tv go into broadcasting such a sensitive news without confirmation.When BBC, CNN and so on do that its to other countries cos they feel their own ccountries should not be disintegrated.   And in any case, two wrongs cant make a right, closing  down Channels Tv does not portray good governance on the part of the federal Govt. they should ve been warned first. dats my opinion i may be wrong but thats the way i feel and understand the whole stuff. afterall there are better crucial problems in this country to flex muscles at by the federal Govt. wink
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by ayomifull(f): 10:50am On Sep 18, 2008
[quote ]
In analyzing situation and events, I always try to be as objective as possible. This is not just about the news that was aired, but rather on several confidential stories that Channels TV had aired in past times. This very unfortunate and it shows the level of civilization in the country called Nigeria.
This is definitely not the first time a media house will be shut by the so called SSS (state suppressing service). A magazine company was invaded last month by SSS just because a story was published about Yar a dua’s wife, Turaya (abi wetin den they call am?) and the staffs of the company were beaten seriously. Are we still in the military era where we cannot speak freely?
Although, I feel channels TV should have confirmed the news, but from who? The information was gotten from a supposed reliable source, so why do they have to confirm?
If channels could be sanctioned for airing false news, then what is the [b]information minister still doing in the cabinet if he could lie to the whole world that your president went for lesser Hajj in the hospital?[/b]Nigeria is a crap and very annoying.
[quote][/quote]

sank you bery much
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by lwise(m): 10:58am On Sep 18, 2008
FG should pardon Channels for their unprofessional act.
What channels did is dangerous for a like Nigeria.Infact this shows that
most of the news in our media are not reliable.Im happy that I saw some typical examples while reading through pples reply.It better for news agencies to verify news before broadcasting it.
This is inportant bc of the effect it may have on the society.
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by Livvvvy(f): 11:00am On Sep 18, 2008
To me this is really undemocratic. The worst that should have happened is for the government to make channels TV come out in public to apologize for the error. Chikena.
Why revoke their license??

I just feel that yaradua is over - reacting to so many said news about his sickness, death and mayb his proposed funeral. He should come out plain to Nigeria about his health and mayb it will save him of all this rumors and evil say about him.

He should be careful, that seat is hot. If he continues to swallow bad advices, then he may pass on early than expected. just my little advice, dont mean any harm sha!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Labour Gives IGP 21 Days To Redeploy Rivers CP / NUPENG, PENGASSAN Call Off Strike / Edo 2016: APGA Wants Election Postponed again As Labour Candidate Laments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.