Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,243 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:38 AM

SSS Invades Channels Tv - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SSS Invades Channels Tv (8918 Views)

Again, Saraki’s Supporters Invades CCT Trial, Demands Fairness Of Trial [PHOTOS] / Benin Republic Invades Kwara, Nigeria Takes Over 16 Border Villages / Channels TV Addresses Dame Patient As President Of Nigeria [photo] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by affee(f): 9:03am On Sep 19, 2008
So they want us to listen to nta abi

nta that says only what the govt wants them to say

abeg give the only fearless news station in Naija their license back
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by vikiviko(m): 9:11am On Sep 19, 2008
Several sources in Abuja said that the entire drama of fake news reporting was a hoax by the government to discredit internet-based news outlets in the country. “SaharaReporters and other websites have become a source of headache for the Yar'adua regime,” said one of the sources. “Therefore the government’s security agencies are making it a priority to discredit any form of Internet news exchange. The security agencies feel frustrated that they can't locate online-based media.

In another twist, a senior NAN staff told SaharaReporters that the clampdown on Channels TV was a distraction orchestrated by Information Minister John Odey. He said: “Mr. Odey is desperate to deflect attention from an ICPC report which indicted him as well as former managing director of NAN, Akin Oshuntokun, for embezzling N600 million.” Odey was then the chairman of the board of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN). The embezzlement was carried out through contracts and the duo shared the proceeds. Our source said the ICPC report ICPC ordered Odey and Oshuntokun to refund the money.

Sahara reporters
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by Nobody: 9:59am On Sep 19, 2008
Message to Mr Fresiden: The tiger need not display its tigritude. I think you are missing the point in clamping down on Channels TV and sparing NAN. Or is Abuja running short of democratic brains. Unverified information come regularly on BBC, CNN, and SKY news. Should Bush or Brown also close them down. Mr President please stop insulting our collective sensibility, we have more pressing priorities.
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by kristkrest(m): 10:17am On Sep 19, 2008
could Yar'adua have possibly dined with Addof Hitler, Fidel Castro, Abacha and perhaps Mugabe in Saudi Arabia. The closing down of Channels TV our own 'CNN', could just be an indicator to the outcome of such meeting, bringing out the ?*!%$#@!? in Yar'dua. undecided undecided undecided , sorry about the ?*!%$#@!? thing, i don't want anybody to come and close down my mouth especially now that it's cloudy in the room of freedom of information bill or whatever it's called.
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by JustGood(m): 10:19am On Sep 19, 2008
When some said Nigeria is not ripe for DemoCRAZY, there was uproar. Is this out demoCRAZY?
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by habiolah(m): 10:52am On Sep 19, 2008
@ Brein
Oh boy, why you come gimme wrong number now?
I called and it was stories
Or na your sister's number you dash out?
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by sartorius(m): 11:50am On Sep 19, 2008
i support the goverment action, look there is a real threat to topple his goverment, so reporters chould confirm sensitive stories b4 coming out
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by habiolah(m): 12:04pm On Sep 19, 2008
sartorius:

i support the goverment action, look there is a real threat to topple his goverment, so reporters chould confirm sensitive stories before coming out

nobody disagrees with that but tell me from who they should confirm if the said story came from NAN
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by realdemi(f): 1:12pm On Sep 19, 2008
@ Cabali

Say that again, brova!

kristkrest:

could Yar'adua have possibly dined with Addof Hitler, Fidel Castro, Abacha and perhaps Mugabe in Saudi Arabia. The closing down of Channels TV our own 'CNN', could just be an indicator to the outcome of such meeting, bringing out the ?*!%$#@!? in Yar'dua. undecided undecided undecided , sorry about the ?*!%$#@!? thing, i don't want anybody to come and close down my mouth especially now that it's cloudy in the room of freedom of information bill or whatever it's called.

I'm beginning to think so too!!He seems to have resurrected from the dead since this Saudi trip. Blowing all manner of dust into our eyes in this whirlwind manner. This unwarranted bravado will take him nowhere, let him face the things that matter (such as the borepotholes on our roads, ELECTRICITY, and so on) which we all know is keeping the nation in Stagnation or right now,[sup] retrogression?[/sup] undecided

And, i suggest he fires his media cabinet /image launderers asap. They are not worth their onions at all. They remind me of Femi Falana (of OBJ era), only different styles of doing the same thing.

I LOVE NIGERIA I NO GO LIE, BUT I'M GETTING SO WEARY!
GOD BLESS NIGERIA!!!!
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by Afam(m): 2:17pm On Sep 19, 2008
real_demi:

And, i suggest he fires his media cabinet /image launderers asap. They are not worth their onions at all. They remind me of Femi Falana (of OBJ era), only different styles of doing the same thing.

I LOVE NIGERIA I NO GO LIE, BUT I'M GETTING SO WEARY!
GOD BLESS NIGERIA!!!!

What's with Femi Falana? Nairaland sef!
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by Nobody: 2:28pm On Sep 19, 2008
probably meant Femi Fani-Kayode if am right?
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by youngies(m): 3:22pm On Sep 19, 2008
Yea I think the guy meant to say Femi Fani Kayode
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by youngies(m): 3:25pm On Sep 19, 2008
But seriously speaking,

@Nigeria1 what were you trying to prove with those aerial satellite photos? The clamp down of Channels TV or the new Mugabe kidney that he now has? 
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by dontbay: 3:27pm On Sep 19, 2008
Yo,
people don't get channel's rough dey got the info from the right source,before announcing it.
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by Nobody: 3:44pm On Sep 19, 2008
The problem with Mr Umoru and SSS leadership is insecurity

They re not just fit for their positions.

Channels did not even announce the President resigned,

The said according to NAN sources the President is planning to resign

So, how has that become a major issue irrespective of retracting the news barely ten minutes after.

Umoru is surely the worst legacy Obj left for us angry angry angry angry angry
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by DejiYesufu(m): 3:54pm On Sep 19, 2008
I have had little against the Yar'Adua until this Channes TV wahala. I do hope they have a good reason for its being shut. I it actually smarks off the dictorial tendencies in Nigerian leaders and African in general.
John Momoh should go to court then we will see how much we respect the rule of law.
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by youngies(m): 4:00pm On Sep 19, 2008
First off, Channels Tv goofed by airing that sensitive piece of news, they should at least have confirmed from a reliable source.

Now, who could have been that reliable source from the presidency? Min. of Info, Mr. John Odey, from his last outing (president's health issue) can best be described as Min. of Misinformation. The guy has no clue of what is going on in the villa.

Segun Adeniyi - he is a huge disappointment, judging from his background. His phone is always switched off 80% of the time, because he wants to play safe. The only one left is the President himself, and bad enough he doesn't answer his calls himself, Turai does.

Was the closure of Channels Tv an overkill? Emphatically yes, moreso when the mantra of this administration is adherence to the "rule of law" (whatever that means). FG did not and have not exhausted all the necessary administrative processes in dealing with an erring station as prescribed by law. Their (FG) action was hasty, harsh, barbaric, uncivilised, undemocratic and above all unconstitutional.

The NASS seems to be a bunch of losers, they just vacated plenary without even a motion of "urgent national importance" on this issue, expect some few individuals like Mrs. Abike Dabere and Christy Anyanwu who continues to give some glimpse of hope.

The Channels news hoax was embarrassing enough, but the FG handling of it - was without equivocation irresponsible, incredulous and unbecoming of a body that calls itself a government.
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by Aussie(m): 5:40pm On Sep 19, 2008
Channels TV license has been restored this afternoon.

Shame on Yar'dua and John Odey.
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by mckaycee(m): 6:31pm On Sep 19, 2008
A pity that after channels retracted the news with apologies, SSS and NBC went ahead with their show of shame. Rule of law my foot
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by Aussie(m): 6:38pm On Sep 19, 2008
mckaycee:

A pity that after channels retracted the news with apologies, SSS and NBC went ahead with their show of shame. Rule of law my foot

YOu are ok jare.

MY foot, my family's feet too.

Unless country thru her leaders.
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by affee(f): 7:21pm On Sep 19, 2008
Aussie:

Channels TV license has been restored this afternoon.

Shame on Yar'dua and John Odey.
Somebody give Jesus a round of applause, Somebody shout halleluyah.

THANK GOD O

but with apologies abi
Oga momoh should have sued them so we can see if the rule of law will come into play.
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by saints2(f): 7:58pm On Sep 19, 2008
Yes Oh, I can't dance, Channels Tv Lincence has being restored today, A Source from http://www.saharareporters.com/www/news/detail/?id=728v    confirmed it. The battle is won, But I do hope Channels learn from all these, a problem will either make you wiser or more foolish, Thanks to baba God.

It Reads thus;
Channels TV License Restored As Yar’adua Regime Bows to Superior Public Pressure

Last View on Fri 19th September, 2008
Last Modified on Fri 19th September, 2008 1:26:42 pm
Author: Posted by Admin Sahara
The illegitimate regime of Umaru Musa Yar'adua finally yielded to public pressure today by lifting the ban imposed on Lagos -based privately operated Channels TV., the station had been since forced off the air Tuesday on the excuse that it caused to be broadcast a news item announcing that Yar'adua would announce his resignation after a new cabinet is constituted.

Security agents from the State Security Service under the direction of the minister of information, John Odey, immediately swooped on the Abuja and Lagos offices of the station, forcing it to close down. Several staff members of the station were also harassed, arrested and hauled into detention centers in Abuja and Lagos. However, since clamping down on the station, public condemnation has been relentless leading the government to buckle under pressure.

NBC Press Release below:

The National Broadcasting Commission Lifts Suspension Order on Channels Television

“The National Broadcasting Commission on Wednesday 17th September 2008, suspended the Operational Broadcast Licence of Channels Television in all locations in Nigeria due to the station’s breach of provisions of the National Broadcasting Commission Act. No. 38 of 1992 (as amended) and the Nigeria Broadcasting Code.

“Subsequent to the suspension order, the Commission continued its investigations into the immediate and remote causes of the breach and is satisfied with the findings.

“Channels Television caused to be broadcast, an unwholesome news item which could have been detrimental to national interest and lead or likely to lead to a breakdown of law and order n the country contrary to the provisions of the National Broadcasting Act and Nigeria Broadcasting Code to which Channels Television has accepted responsibility and tendered an apology.
“Consequently, the National Broadcasting Commission, in consonance with the provisions of paragraph 13.5.1.1 of the Nigeria Broadcasting Code and without prejudice to the duties of security services to carry out their ongoing investigations to a logical conclusion hereby lifts the suspension order and directs Channels Television to put in place effect mechanisms to confirm news items and sources before broadcast.

“The National Broadcasting Commission is also working with Security Agencies to ensure that all journalists detained in connection with the false report about the President are released”, he said

Director General, NBC, Engr. Yomi Bolarinwa
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by churchmann: 9:09pm On Sep 19, 2008
what
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by stanloski(m): 9:37pm On Sep 19, 2008
Sometimes our journalists let us down! I was expecting Channels to hit FG/NBC/SSS with a lovely law suit the next day after the closure but our oga John Momoh went to "beg oga" angry They pay lip servcie to defending rule of law and democracy but torpedo it once their meal tickets are threatened. Well man must wack sha! But its a big shame.

baba iyabo took 4 yrs to squander his goodwill and it seems Yaraslowcoach has set a record by doing it in less than 18 months! Even the maradonic evi genius IBB lasted longer in the popularity rating!
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by cabali(m): 9:38pm On Sep 19, 2008
@ Nigeria1@

Dude, are you ok?
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by Nigeria10: 9:40pm On Sep 19, 2008
DO NOT click the link provider by saints_1 (m), it is a virus
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by Nigeria10: 9:43pm On Sep 19, 2008
caban why did you ask, i have antivirus protection. so your 419 failed.

And make una leave yar adua allow, the man and his family is going thru alot from his sickness. bear with him please. he is going to change ministers very soon.
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by krisbobo(m): 11:48pm On Sep 19, 2008
People, I hear what you all are saying and I agree with many submissions. however, I think that the real point, at least as i see it, is still being missed.
Yar adus is a dagerous man. I have always said that I am never comfortable with good people. they are the ones who can do evil with impunity.

This guy screams RULE OF LAW everytime but we know better. This is the second time SSS is visiting a media house since Yar Adua came to power, A nwespaper, National Standard, I think, was also visited 'cos they said something abour Mrs Yaddy. I cant remember this ever happening during OBJ's time and he was personally abused many times.

Thus president is going to draw us back and lead us futher into deep sh**t.
To think that we have forever wanted an educated man as president and this is what we get!
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by JeopardE(m): 12:24am On Sep 20, 2008
It cuts both ways, people.

The rumor of Yar'adua's death was a national security issue. The government had to react as such. Channels TV has itself to blame for going on air with a news item like that without corroborating its source. Even though they have their license back now, they have suffered irreparable damage to their credibility.

The government did the wrong thing, too. You destroy your credibility as a nascent democracy when you resort to dictatorial methods to counteract bad propaganda.

All they needed to do was conduct an SSS investigation into who was responsible for the news and then prosecute them using some law related to treason or national security or whatever. That's what everyone else does.
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by mojojojo(m): 7:31am On Sep 20, 2008
As long as laws in our constitution allow government to clamp down on 'erring' media houses these things will go on.
Since assuming office, Yar'dua has been an epitome of calmness. However this health business seems to be a sensitive spot for the guy. This is just a way of asserting control and authority which he feels he is loosing.
Having said that, the gross irresponsibility of CHANNELS as a media outfit is remarkable. They received the news from an email address they don't know, from someone they have not heard of and yet went live with the news. This just reflects the quality of journalism in Nigeria.
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by saints2(f): 9:34am On Sep 20, 2008
Nigeria1@;:

DO NOT click the link provider by saints_1 (m), it is a virus

How sure are you that its a virus? That Someone does a mistake make him an hacker? May God have mercy on you. The right link is http://www.saharareporters.com/www/news/detail/?id=728 sorry for the mix up.
Re: SSS Invades Channels Tv by DARKSHEDI: 11:49am On Sep 20, 2008
Yea yea, sss were wrong, so is also is the management of channels, some informations have national security under tone, hence common sense dictates dt channels should have verified b4 going on air, Nigeria's democrasy is too weak and volatile for such blunders,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Sanusi's Wikileak Expose: Patriot Or Traitor? / Independence Day: Akeredolu Grants 18 Prisoners Amnesty / Edo North PDP Suspends Dan Orbih, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.