Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,788 members, 7,820,760 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:03 PM

Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab - Islam for Muslims (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab (13281 Views)

Women Who Wear Hijab Can Have A Better Body Image, Study Says / Why Do Muslim Ladies Wear Hijab? / 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by ttruth(m): 4:40pm On Jan 22, 2010
muhsin:

And who told you that? I know you have never been to any of those countries. . . smiley

I have lots of facts to back up my claim. What I have just said is 100% true.
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by muhsin(m): 5:51pm On Jan 22, 2010
Really? grin
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by ttruth(m): 5:19pm On Jan 24, 2010
muhsin:

Really? grin

Why are Muhammedans always denying facts and veracity ? God have mercy !!!
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by Aishabee(f): 1:06pm On Jan 25, 2010
Yes it is very compulsory for sisters to wear Hijab, i ve been doing that for the past years and i really luv the admiration and respect that comes with it.

Though i'm not doing the full one but that's my heart desire, May Allah make it easy for me and other sisters that have similar wish. grin
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by muhsin(m): 1:21pm On Jan 25, 2010
t.truth:

Why are Muhammedans always denying facts and veracity ? God have mercy !!!

Facts and veracity, you say? My foot! cheesy
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by ttruth(m): 1:24pm On Jan 25, 2010
muhsin:

Facts and veracity, you say? My foot! cheesy

Do you know the meaning of facts and veracity ? grin grin grin grin grin Muhsin the illiterate grin grin grin grin grin

Anyway Al- Taqiyah is part and parcel of Islam. grin grin grin grin grin grin So I am not surprised !!!
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by Nobody: 1:05am On Jan 26, 2010
Sisters, as i heard hijab does not necessaryly mean headcovering,its a loosed clothing(very loosed skirt,gowns) for women by Allah(swt),while the headcovering is scarf but Allah also described how it should be tied in the QURAN,we should make sure our beautyaccessories(necklace and earings) are tucked inside,neck covered wraped and falls on our bossom,we should bring the scarf down(outside and not inside even if we are wearing winter jacket,it should cover the front of the jacket and not tucked in,

Asalamu alekum
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by olorikan(f): 8:57pm On Sep 09, 2010
From my own point of view, i think it is mandatory for women to wear Hijab and as for the use of make-up, it's partially right but don't make it conspicuous,
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by zayhal(f): 9:19pm On Sep 10, 2010
From whatever point we view it, hijab is compulsory on muslim women, clearly stated in the Qur'an.
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by azharuddin: 7:05am On Sep 11, 2010
zayhal:

From whatever point we view it, hijab is compulsory on muslim women, clearly stated in the Qur'an.

Yes there is no room for doubt about it, Dear sisters if you are in doubt or reluctant to wear hijab remember the thought is from Shaitan, DO NOT lend ears to his whisperings. Even if you will ve to go through a bit difficulty, please wear Hijab, for Allah will give you its due reward.
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by mistamash: 9:36am On Sep 19, 2010
Asalamalaikum dear brodas n sisters.

have heard in a sermon n read that a woman should cover her body and safe gaurd her chastity when shes outside her matrimonial home. A woman should cover her body starting from the tip of her hair to her toe, simply beacouse when she exposes her body it definatly atracts the attention of man, and it said that if such happens thier would be a punishment for the man that looks at her with bad intention and for the woman that exposes,

Thanks for ur time
Masalm.
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by zayhal(f): 10:19am On Oct 06, 2010
@uplawal

Please can you give me your e-mail address? I have something important to share. You can pass it through Jarus if you dont want to put it here.

Thanks.
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by Nobody: 6:17pm On Oct 06, 2010
@Zayhal,hope no problem sister,Asalamu Aleikum,its, titialayo25@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by zayhal(f): 11:57am On Oct 07, 2010
ok. Thanks. I'll get in touch.

uplawal:

@Zayhal,hope no problem sister,Asalamu Aleikum,its, titialayo25@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by stranger26(f): 3:40am On Nov 23, 2010
t.truth:

@post :

In Islamic states, Yes it is compulsory. You could be arrested or acid could be poured on you by some fanatics.

In Iran, Saudi Arabia for instance, you could be arrested by the state police or religious police.

That is a major untruth. I have lived in Saudi Arabia for years. I went to a british school where I was the only person wearing hijab for a while. Most of my teachers were non-muslim and they weren't wearing hijab except occasionally. And almost all of my muslim and non-muslim class-mates were not wearing hijab either. Please research your facts before making such generalized statements. Of course, saudi demands that you dress with decency when you are on the streets. And if you don't you MAY get reprimanded. You do not get acid thrown in your face. I have not heard of any country where acid-throwing is the form of law-enforcement.
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by maclatunji: 5:47pm On Nov 23, 2010
I think it is also instructive to note that Hijab is compulsory only for adult women with conditions stated by other Muslim posters here. In such issues maturity for women is determined by the start of their monthly courses. Hence, it is not uncommon to see pre-pubescent Muslim girls without Hijab in Muslim countries like Saudi Arabia. Allah knows best.
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by maclatunji: 5:52pm On Nov 23, 2010
I think it is also instructive to note that Hijab is compulsory only for adult women with conditions stated by other Muslim posters here. In such issues maturity for women is determined by the start of their monthly courses. Hence, it is not uncommon to see pre-pubescent Muslim girls without Hijab in Muslim countries like Saudi Arabia. Allah knows best.
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by maclatunji: 5:53pm On Nov 23, 2010
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by stranger26(f): 1:09pm On Nov 24, 2010
maclatunji:

However, I am not referring to pre-pubescent girls. I did my secondary schooling and A-Levels in Saudi. And even now, as at 21years of age, when I go back to visit, I still know of my non-hijab wearing school-mates. And in any case the teachers who were not wearing hijab are not pre-pubescent.
Go to any private hospital in Saudi; most of the nurses will not be wearing hijab, though the uniform is at least not as skimpy as in other countries.
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by maclatunji: 7:21pm On Nov 24, 2010
@stranger26, I no dey doubt wetin u dey say. I just dey talk my own naa.
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by maclatunji: 7:21pm On Nov 24, 2010
@stranger26, I no dey doubt wetin u dey say. I just dey talk my own naa.
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by alienvirus: 9:52am On Nov 25, 2010
Even the alien people would like to use hijab if they see it. I will definitely buy a sample while going back to my alienated land. We shall see who will rot in hell between nude-walking MUMUs and Saintly Hijabites.
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by Nobody: 3:09pm On Nov 25, 2010
@Alienviryus,pls dnt break my jaw o,its finally BREAKING.YEEEPA grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by alienvirus: 11:09am On Nov 27, 2010
Up up up Lawal! Up up up Islam! Up up up Alienvirus! Uplawal what do u want me to bring for u from the alien land?
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by Nobody: 11:29am On Nov 28, 2010
right now, i need 5000 pounds,atleast,ok,and more is welcome,i dnt mind grin
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by zayhal(f): 4:35pm On Nov 29, 2010
Alien,

how's Islam in d alien city? hope u propagate it there? Are there hijab wearers there too? I wonder.
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by Nobody: 10:20pm On Nov 30, 2010
so many clowns here grin
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by usisky(m): 12:30pm On Dec 01, 2010
SALAAM to ALL.

@poster and others

firstly, i believe if we must discuss such matter, we need to consult the highest authority or legislator. what higher legislation can one look to other than that authorized by GOD HIMSELF, i.e the QUR'AN.

Did the QUR'AN ever mention anything that resembles what we or majority of muslims call "hijaab" as a form of covering for the muslim woman? NO. i have seen ppl. post here that it is GOD who ordered the veiling for muslim women, however that isn't true. i need sombody to show me were in the quran GOD mentions the hijaab as been any form of clothing or covering for the women.

i will render my comment as soon as i get a rply!!!

PEACE.
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by zayhal(f): 8:07pm On Dec 01, 2010
usisky is back again. where have you been? I hope you'll make matters clear now and not throw people into confusion.
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by zubeyr(m): 11:47pm On Dec 01, 2010
First most people don't know that when Koran addressed the issue of Hijab its was within the context of addressing the room in which the Prophet SAW used to meet His guests it meant that the Prophet wives couldn't be in same room when many people visited the prophet SAW for different reasons
Therefore Koran stated that the wives should be behind Hijab (curtain) so people here should know that hijab in Arabic means curtain or divider and not dress code the word Hijab in Arabic could be employed in many ways for example the Koran was described as Hijab between its readers and the wrong path the appropriate linguistic term we should be using is" Khimar"( head scarf) when referring to dress code and not Hijab (curtain)
To my knowledge Hijab is not mandated in Koran if it is it is only the subjective of interpretation of Aya (verse) by reader hence many scholars say that according to Hadith  a woman should covers all her body except her hands and face a very limited Muslim know that this is in  Sunan Abu Dawud (volume three Hadith 4092) Abu Dawud says this Hadith is" Mursal" (weak) (the narrator who transmitted it from Seyida Aisha is missing )
so since this Hadith according to Abu Dawud is Mursal (weak) so it has no value for Shariah purpose
Yes Islam emphasizes modesty in the dress of Muslim woman but nowhere does it mandate what they call Hijab
as matter fact modesty in dress is also required from Muslim men
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by usisky(m): 10:38am On Dec 02, 2010
zayhal:

usisky is back again. where have you been? I hope you'll make matters clear now and not throw people into confusion.

Yes zayhal, am back again.

where have i been? well u know most of it. some time ago the moderators here decided they didn't particularly concede to the subjects i raised about islam, so they decided it be a good idea to send me off to Alaska for some time-off(i.e they shut my NL acct.). Oh well! am glad they let me on again.

will i make things clear now or throw ppl into confusion? U knw wat? "the truth is always veiled". i never knew u got confused by my exegesis. well, GOD willing i will make things clearer for those who wish to know. U may ask any question u need clarity on. perhaps , on my way of islam. GOD willing , u'll get my take on it.

thanks for the acknowledgment anyways.
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by usisky(m): 11:29am On Dec 02, 2010
SALLAAM TO ALL

Let me give a conclusion on this topic. As i said earlier in my post, the ultimate source of law is the quran.therefore,lets look carefully and see what GOD has to say about the idea of woman being reduced to such demeaning status. All the forms of the word hijaab used in the quran has nothing to do with the socalled dress code by the muslims. the use of veil more of tradition than religious. The idea of veiling like many other things the muslims are holding fast to , is just an innovation by the scholars and has nothing to do with the religion prophet muahammad practiced.

logical reasoning:

is GOD  illogical? NO. have u ever imagined a situation where the whole women in the world  deciding to wear veils.
maybe the whole muslim women in Nigeria. i tell u, that would not be a pleasant scenario. imagine GOD forcing other ppls traditions on others. GOD deliberately created us with various cultures for a reason.therefore arabian culture is differerent from others. if the arabs love veils,then that's there kpalava, however,the quran explains all that needs to be understood regarding all subjects and this one is not excluded.

God Almighty reminds in the Quran that He has placed no hardship on us, men and women both, in practicing our religion:

"You shall strive for the cause of God as you should strive for His cause. He has chosen you and has placed no hardship on you in practicing your religion - the religion of your father Abraham, " (22:78)

The Quran gives us a clue that women, during the Prophet's time, were not placed in hardship and were not veiled (hijab):

"Beyond the categories described to you, you are enjoined from marrying any other women, nor can you substitute a new wife (from the prohibited categories), no matter how much you admire their beauty.  You must be content with those already made lawful to you. God is watchful over all things." (33:52)

Clearly, you cannot admire their beauty if they were veiled.  Is it not a historical fact that the prophet's wife Ayesha took command of the army against Caliph Ali!? How could she perform that job if she was in veil!?

According to the Quran, the best garment is the "garment of righteousness" and not the "veil" (hijab) as we understand from the following verse:

"O children of Adam, we have provided you with garments to cover your bodies, as well as for luxury.  But the best garment is the garment of righteousness.  These are some of God's signs, that they may take heed." (7:26)

Obviously, the “Islamic scholars” do not take heed from the Quran. They consider "hijab" as the best garment even though we'll see , God willing, at the end of this, that the word "hijab" has nothing to do with the dress code for women.

Women shall cover their chest (bosom) and not the face or hair based on verse 24:31 in the Quran:

[24:31] "And tell the believing women to subdue their eyes, and maintain their chastity. They shall not reveal any parts of their bodies, except that which is necessary.  They shall cover (khimar in Arabic) their chests, and shall not relax this code in the presence of other than their husbands, their fathers, the fathers of their husbands, their sons, the sons of their husbands, their brothers, the sons of their brothers, the sons of their sisters, other women, the male servants or employees whose sexual drive has been nullified, or the children who have not reached puberty.  They shall not strike their feet when they walk in order to shake and reveal details of their bodies.  All of you shall repent to God, O you believers, that you may succeed."

The Arabic word "Khimar" (not Hijab) in the above verse 24:31 means any “cover.”  Most of the traditional translations are obviously influenced by so called hadith attributed to the prophet and take the word "Khimar" as "Hijab" (veil)!  One of the popular English translations of the Quran used by the traditional Muslims is by A. Yusuf Ali, Mr. Yusuf Ali translated the above verse of 24:31 as ", they should draw their "veils" over their bosoms, ". The distortion is obvious; the Arabic word for veil" is hijab" and not "khimar"!

According to the Quran, women shall lengthen their garments:

"O prophet, tell your wives, your daughters, and the wives of the believers that they shall lengthen their garments.  Thus, they will be recognized and avoid being insulted.  God is Forgiver, Most Merciful." (33:59)

A woman may relax her dress code in the following situations:

"The women may relax (their dress code) around their fathers, their sons, their brothers, the sons of their brothers, the sons of their sisters, the other women, and their servants.  They shall reverence God.  God witnesses all things." (33:55)

Please note that in case of a male servant we need to refer to the Quran 24:31 mentioned earlier. Elderly women may also relax their dress code under certain conditions (24:60).

It is clear from the above verses that the dress code for the Muslim women according to the Quran is righteousness and modesty and not the veil (hijab)!

The Arabic word "hijab" in the following seven verses of the Quran refers to something other than the dress code for women:

"A barrier separates them (Wa bayna-humaa hijaab), while the Purgatory is occupied by people who recognize each side by their looks.  They will call dwellers of paradise:"Peace be upon you."  They did not enter (paradise) through wishful thinking." (7:46)

"When you read the Quran, we place between you and those who do not believe in the Hereafter an invisible barrier (hijaabam-mastuu-raa)." (17:45)

"While a barrier separated her from them (Fattakhazat min duunihim hijaabaa), we sent to her our Spirit.  He went to her in the form of a human being." (19:17)

[33:53] "O you who believe, do not enter the prophet's homes unless you are given permission to eat, nor shall you force such an invitation in any manner.  If you are invited, you may enter.  When you finish eating, you shall leave; do not engage him in lengthy conversations.  This used to hurt the prophet, and he was too shy to tell you.  But God does not shy away from the truth.  If you have to ask his wives for something, ask them from behind a barrier (Wa izaa saaltumuu-hunna mataa-an fasaluuhunna minw-waraaa-i hijaab).  This is purer for your hearts and their hearts.  You are not to hurt the messenger of God.  You shall not marry his wives after him, for this would be a gross offense in the sight of God

"He then said, "I enjoyed the material things more than I enjoyed worshiping my Lord, until the sun was gone (hatta tawaarat bilhijaab)." (38:32)

"They said, "Our minds are made up, our ears are deaf to your message, and a barrier separates us from you (wa baynika hijaabun-fa-mal innanaa aamiluun).  Do what you want, and so will we." (41:5)

"No human being can communicate with God except through inspiration, or from behind a barrier (aw minw-waraaai hijaabin), or by sending a messenger through whom He reveals what He wills.  He is the Most High, Most Wise." (42:51)

The Quran imposes the responsibility on both men and women to subdue their eyes, and definitely, not to veil the woman (hijab) as we understand from the following verse:

"Tell the believing men that they shall subdue their eyes, and to maintain their chastity.  This is purer for them.  God is fully Cognizant of everything they do. And tell the believing women to subdue their eyes, and maintain their chastity, " (24:30-31)

In conclusion, the veiling of women in some Islamic countries is a tradition-based religious innovation to oppress women. It has nothing to do with God’s laws in the Quran. So those who adhere to these man-made traditions are in defiance of GODs commandments,consequently are astray.

GOD guides who choose to be guided.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Eid Mubarak! / Islamic Quiz / Why Do Muslims Pray For Muhammad's Salvation?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.