Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,033 members, 7,956,823 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 08:05 PM

Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab - Islam for Muslims (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab (13504 Views)

Women Who Wear Hijab Can Have A Better Body Image, Study Says / Why Do Muslim Ladies Wear Hijab? / 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by chakula: 4:03pm On Dec 02, 2010
Salam,

I do not have to say or contribute to this topic since it has been posted those days but due to some certain reasons leads me to say a little which is not anything but ADMONITION, Usisky, do you know anything about  [b]QUR'ANIYYUN-DANGUNGU?[/b]of course yes, you are belongs to the sect and it was innitiated there at Kaduna and possibly all what you have been typed and posted here were the teaching and doctrine of the sect ,please i take Allah name and i plead with you to desist or halt from posting such to this forum because we were here not  to create or form a confusion to our brothers but to increase ourselves in knowledge and to solve our brothers/sisters problems where they have find it difficult to understand please i am not out to challange you and finally take heart if unknowngly i have hurts you.

But we here agreed with Sunnah and yet practicing it for all our activities ralated to the deen and for ever we shouldn't have been shun away from practising it and accepting what so ever documented and regarded as a sunnah right from the time of prophet up to end of our life.

My Allah Almighty guides u to the right path Ameen.

Ma'asalam.
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by azharuddin: 5:47pm On Dec 02, 2010
Surah al-Imran (3:103):
    "And hold fast, all of you together, to the rope of Allah and be not divided."

Brothers and sisters lets keep our disagreements apart and stay united. I am sure we ALL agree on one thing: 'La ilaaha illallah muhammadurasoolullah'.
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by zayhal(f): 6:57pm On Dec 02, 2010
No Usisky, you never got me confused but you'd have got some people confused here. I'm on the straight path already, masha Allah. I abide by the quran and then, the teachings and practise of Muhammed (pbuh). I'm ok with that. cool
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by Nobody: 7:13pm On Dec 02, 2010
welcome ussiky. long time. i like ur objectivity
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by Lagosboy: 4:00pm On Dec 03, 2010
Salaam to the folks in the house.

With all humilty and due respect to all the posters but i feel it is a sense of islamic duty to clear some air on some of the positions here.

All the major scholars of islaam right from the begining up until now have the unanimous opinion that the covering of the head and bossoms of a woman is compulsory in islaam. For some people to now hold contrary opinion and play liguistical gymnastics with the quranic arabic without fully grasping the language is a shame and they only have followers amongs non arab speaking folks.

True hijab does not literallymeans head cover but in the contaxt of today when hijab is mentioned it is meant a headcover. True the quran does not say women should wear hijab in its literal sense but the quran says women should wear a headcover and draw it over their bossoms. Also we should stop equating hijab to mean the veil in modern context as they mean different things. I would inshallah explain the definitions of the various terminology here like i have done in previous posts in the sisters thread.

Hijab
: means a veil in arabic and in the context of the qur'an "O, believers enter not the dwellings of the Prophet, unless invited… And when you ask of his wives anything, ask from behind a hijab. That is purer for your hearts and for their hearts. Q33v 53

Khimar
: is from the root word Kh Ma Ra and it literarily means to cover, but in practical definition it means a head cover. According to dictionaries it is defined as head cover as well. In the context of the qur'an it says in Q24 vs 31 "And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent , and to draw their veils over Juyubihinna (i.e. bossoms.) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands. [translation from Noble qur'an]
"wa liyadribna bikhumurina ala juyubihina" Q24 v31 . the word translated as veil is actually wrong and that is where some confusion lies to non arabic speakers. The word in that word khumurina which is the plural for khimar. Now after understanding that the word is head cover the verse should be translated as ". . . .draw their head cover over their juyubihinna "

Now after understanding the two definition it will be understood that what we generally call the hijab nowadays is actually khimar drawn to cover the chest, bossom etc.

Jilbab: is also a form of cloak and the quran says in 33 v 59 " Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks  all over their bodies . That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allâh is Ever Oft­Forgiving, Most Merciful."
The arabic word translated as their cloak is "jalabiybhinna" which is plural and singlur will be jilbab/jalbab.

From the three definition above: we can establish the reason why muslim women wear jalbab and wear the hijab which is khimar drawn over their bossom.

Nikab: literally means "to make a hole" contextually it means making a hole in aface cover so the eyes can see. I do not think exists in the quran linguistically(as far as i know) in relation to womens clothing but nikab is the veil which covers the face after you have worn the jalabab and the hijab. This is not compulsory in islam.

Burqa[b][/b]: linguistically refers to veiling the face as well. Practically nowadays, it is a single clothing comprising of khimar, hijab,jalbab,nikab - all in one. You wear it and all is covered, this kind is common in Afghanistan and might have been developed culturally and locally. It could be found in south west Nigeria and used by the women in "purdah- elehas". Again the burqa is not compulsory in islaam according to the majority of scholars.

I hope i have done a little explanation to the definition, anyother person could insha Allah shed more light on this.

And God knows best
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by zubeyr(m): 6:32pm On Dec 03, 2010
My take away from what bro Lagosboy has posted is his lack to grasp the meaning of some words in The Arabic language but I can't blame him for not being  fluent in Arabic what I wrote was clear and maybe since English was neither my first or second language maybe lagosboy has difficulties to get my point I never meant to play any gymnastic with the Arabic language for any purpose as he alluded but I stand firm that Hijab means barrier curtain screen and not a dress code there many ayats ( verses) in the Koran in that regard Scholars who argue that Hijab is mandated based their
opinions on the Hadith of Seyida Aisha RA "Aisha reported that Asmaa the daughter of Abu Bakr RA came to the Messenger of Allah SAW while wearing thin clothing He approached her and Said "O Asmaa when a girl reaches the menstrual age is not proper that anything should remain exposed except this and this He pointed to the Face and Hands " (Abu Dawud ) but Abu Dawud himself in his Sunan agreed that this Hadith Is "Mursal" (weak) the"
Silsila or chain of transmission is missed so therefore it can't has  basis for any Shariah Purpose your spiritual leader ibn teymiyyah stated that in several views that the consensus of Scholars is not important especially in cases where there is not clear cut on the issues from Koran and "Sihah "(Albukhari and Muslim) so one must realize that and appreciate the fact that the commandments in the Koran in chapter 33 verse 53 with respect to hijab applies only to the" Mothers of believers" ( wives of the Prophet SAW) so the Hijab was a special feature for the Prophet wives and was introduced only about five or six year before His death
So the Prophet's wives due to their status and situations they occupied a position different from all other women Allah has ordained that their reward as well their punishment  be double that for any other woman
Please do not think I am judging by any foreign standard not wishing to recommend foreign ways like one of our Muslims narrow minded people might think I am only judging by Shariah
As far as the veiling it always being a custom in Saudi Arabia Yemen Afghanistan Pakistan and India it has no Islamic basis whatsoever i found it doing more harm to the image of Islam and to the efforts of understanding
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by Lagosboy: 7:02pm On Dec 03, 2010
@zubeyr

Dear brother pls calm down, inshallah we would arrive at the truth. My post was not directed at you in any way which makes wonder how you came to the conclusion that I was referring to you in particular. Brother a few people hold contrary views on the thread which includes usisky so I wonder why you personalised my post.

Brother we are saying the samething as regards the linguistic definition of hijab and if you read my post again you would see I called the hijab a veil and you call it a curtain which still means the same thing in principle.

What I would like to understand from you now is that is the covering of the head and bossom wajib in islaam ?

My post was trying to explain that the linguistic meaning of hijab is different from modern use of the word hijab. Hijab nowadays does not mean a veil but means headcover which is khimar. A veil which was compulsory on the wives of the prophet like you said is considered in modern terms as niqaab.

There is difference between linguistic meaning and current application of a word. Example in English would be gay which has linguistic meaning of being happy but nowadays the other meaning is wide used.

Another example in Arabic would be Zakah which literally means to purify but when we talk abor Zakah we know it is compulsory tax albeit to purify your wealth.

So when the poster asked if the hijab was mandatory I am 99% sure it meant if the khimar (headcover ) was mandatory in islam. If your answer to this is yes then we are on the same page alihamdulilah. But if your answer is no then we could discuss further to arrive at the truth.
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by usisky(m): 12:45am On Dec 04, 2010
@chakula

Dear   Chakula,
I  understand how u feel, ,believe me, i do.  I  knw how difficult it is for u to abondon  the traditions  of  your  fathers, but that does not negate the  truth.
Quraniyyun  or Quranite  or Nineteeners or  Rashadite , which ever u decide to pronounce me as, i don’t mind.
Lets look at the word u have coined. Quraniyyun: meaning the followers of the Quran. Praise  be to GOD, what a marvelous name there.
Ask  yourself this,-  what  is the Quran?  Answer =  GODs  word.
I didn’t  realize  sticking to GODs  word ALONE was a crime  or  until  u,  and  the  likes.

ADVICE:
U  may  keep  adhering to your  sunna. However , u should  know  that u are not following prophet  muhammad, cos the only  sunna  he  ever  followed was  that of GOD,that is,QUR’AN.
If  u think  following  the prophet  as an example is  in the way he lead his personal life, like  eating, dressing, sleeping ,talking ,walking  then u have  belittled GOD. For  GOD  does  not  think  like  u do.
Following  the prophet  as an example  is in  his  way  of  observing GOD, in his  submission(islam)  to  GOD, which  is  in the  Quran.

@azharuddin
(3:103) , very  true.
But  one  question any intellingent  person  should  be  asking is: how  come  the  division amongst  the muslims?. This  division started not too long  after  the  death  of  the prophet.what  is  sunni  and what  is  shi’i ?. What  is  hanbali, maliki, shafi’i ?  is  this  the islam Muhammad  left  behind? Certainly  not.
If  islam  had  always been  the  way the prophet left  it, this  divisions  would not exist. The  arabs  have  long  corrupted the religion  before it ever  got  to  u and i. This  is  in accordance  with  a Quranic  prophecy.

[9:97]  The Arabs are the worst in disbelief and hypocrisy, and the most likely to ignore the laws that GOD has revealed to His messenger. GOD is Omniscient, Most Wise.

They  have  long  ignored  the  laws  of  GOD  in  the  quran. So  us following  what  they  taught  us blindly, equals  ignorance. If  anybody  continues  such  blind  belief, then  the messenger  will  have  this  to say  to  GOD  on  the  day  of  recompense.

[25:30]  The messenger will  say, "My Lord, my people have deserted this Quran."

Observe  if u will, that  the messenger  would  not complain regarding  his so-called  hadith or  sunna, but  rather  the Quran. How  ironic. He  never  ever  uttered  such lies  and transgression against the nature of  GOD.

This  is  a  prophesy that must come to pass.

@zayhal
Good!  Keep  to the straight path.
I  hope  by  the  teachings  of  Muhammad, u don’t mean :

1- Teaching  that  advocates  stonning adultrer  to death. When  in fact  u call islam  tolerant  and  peaceful  religion. How  contradictory can  one  get.

2- Teaching  that  encourages  putting  to  death  of  what  they  regard  as  apostates. When  GOD  in  the  Quran  says-  No  compulsion  in religion  and  Also who ever  refuses your  way,say  to them- “to  u  is  your  way  and  to me  is  my  way”. What  a calamity.

3- The  teaching  that  says  majority  of  women  are  going  to hell. When  even  in the  quran it  says  even  the  prophet  does  not  have  an  idea  of his  fate.

4- And  hundreds  upon  hundreds  of  insult  and  blasphemies  against  GOD  and  the  prophet  that  it  will take  a whole  book  to  expose. Yet  u call  them teachings  of  this  great  prophet  of  GOD.

People  really  have  abandoned  the  quran  for  man-made  innovations(hadith  and  sunna). You  have  let  the  enemies  of  the  prophet  to have  the upper  hand.

[6:112]  We have permitted the enemies [/b]of every prophet - human and jinn devils -[b] to inspire in each other fancy words, in order to deceive. Had your Lord willed, they would not have done it. You shall disregard them and their fabrications.

[6:113]  This is to let the minds of those who do not believe in the Hereafter listen to such fabrications, and accept them, and thus expose their real convictions.

It  therefore  means, if  u truly  believe  u  would  meet  your  LORD, u’ll  ignore  such  fabrications.
I know  it  is not  easy  to abandon your old ways, because  your  mind  has  being preconditioned. Imagine, abandoning what u know to be the true since  childhood  to the age  which u are now. Do  u see  now why  the  christian  can’t  understand  what  u  preach  to them, neither  can u understand what  he  preaches to u. Thats  cos  your  belief  systems  has  been tampered  with.

Firstly , to  find  the  truth, u must  believe GOD in HIS  assertions  that  the  Quran  is  all  u need. If  u harbor  any  doubt  about  the  quran, then  the  truth  is  not  for  you.thats  cos  GOD  puts  an  invisible  shield  btw  u  and  the quran so  u may not  undrestand it.

Nothing  is  left-out  of  the  Quran.  The  true  believers  know  this.

[6:38]  All the creatures on earth, and all the birds that fly with wings, are communities like you. We did not leave anything out of this book. To their Lord, all these creatures will be summoned.

The  question is, do u believe GOD  when  HE says  nothing  is  left  out of  the Quran?

SALAAAM!!

@zubeyr

Sallaam. I  think  u misconstrued  lagosboy. From  his  post, u should automatically  know it was  directed @ me(usisky).
Salaam.

@Toba

thanks, your acknowledgment is duly observed.

@LAGOSBOY!!!!!!!

ssaalam,

Firstly, i think  u don’t  even  read  my  posts. U just  skim  through  and  neglect  it. I doubt  if u actually  corroborate  my  proofs  with  your  understanding  of  the  quran or  u just  keep  adhering to your old  ways.let  me  just  give  a  little  refutation  to your  allegations regarding  the  hijaab idea.

Point  number one:

“All the major scholars of islaam right from the beginning up until now have the unanimous opinion that the covering of the head and bosoms of a woman is compulsory in islaam.”

It  is  a  shame  that  u choose  the  words  of scholars  far  above  that  of  GOD. Just  like  the christians  and  the  jews  did in the following verse.

[9:31]  They have set up their religious leaders and scholars as lords, instead of GOD. Others deified the Messiah, son of Mary. They were all commanded to worship only one god. There is no god except He. Be He glorified, high above having any partners.

Point  number  two:

“True hijab does not literally means head cover but in the contaxt of today when hijab is mentioned it is meant a head cover.”

In  the  context  of  today,   but  quran  was  not  revealed  today, it was  revealed  yesterday(more than a millenium ago). So why  use  the connotation some word has gained today  to  define  the quran of  yesterday?  Hijaab( veil, barrier, sheild) , but  certainly not  cover(khimar).

Point number three:

“Khimar: is from the root word Kh Ma Ra and it literarily means to cover, but in practical definition it means a head cover. According to dictionaries it is defined as head cover as well.”

If  the  word  khimar  literarily means   cover, then  what  practicality  do  u  need  to apply to  it to become  head-cover. What  is  wrong  with  your  arabic  and  your  logic?  How  does  cover  become  head-cover?  People, do  u sense  corruption  here?

Lets  assume  it  means  head-cover. Now  substiute  that  in 24:31, it  then  reads

“they  shall  head-cover  their  chests(bossom)”  .  does  that  make  sense  to u?.

I observed  u  translated based on yusuf Ali, so  u  used  the words  “draw”  and  “over”. Therefore your final  translation, based on your logic is:

". . . .draw their head cover over their juyubihinna "

In  this  simple  translation, u have  made-up  the  word[b] draw[/b], over and head.all these  are not there  in the  arabic sentence.yet u say  i  am misleading those who do not understand  arabic. What  great  corruption!!!!

Point  number four:

“the word translated as veil is actually wrong and that is where some confusion lies to non arabic speakers.”

I am glad  that  u agree  that  the  translation  most  of  u  use  is wrong. Most ppl prefer   yusuf Ali  like u, in much the same way the christians  prefer  King james version  of  the  bible. It  gives  them  what  they want.

@ those  who  seeketh  the  truth

[39:45]  When GOD ALONE is mentioned, the hearts of those who do not believe in the Hereafter shrink with aversion. But when others are mentioned beside Him, they become satisfied.

Are  u contented with GOD  Alone  in  your  life,  else, read the  verse again  and  review your  islam(submission).

Quran: The ONLY Source

[17:46]  We place shields around their minds, to prevent them from understanding it, and deafness in their ears. And when you preach your Lord, using the Quran alone, they run away in aversion.

Divine Intervention

[18:57]  Who are more evil than those who are reminded of their Lord's proofs, then disregard them, without realizing what they are doing. Consequently, we place shields on their hearts to prevent [/b]them from [b]understanding it (the Quran), and deafness in their ears. Thus, no matter what you do to guide them, they can never ever be guided.

A  profound  Question:

[68:35]  Shall we treat the  muslims(afaja’alul  muslimina) like the criminals?
[68:36]  What is wrong with your logic?
[68:37]  Do you have another book to uphold?
[68:38]  In it, do you find anything you want?

What  befits  this  description  of  another  book  apart  from  the quran , where  u may find  all  that  u want?  This  hints  at  your  man-made  hadith  and  sunna. In  them  u  can find  all that  u want. How  to sleep, what  to  do to adulterers, to  apostates, etc. Since  your  LORDs  word  is  not  enough for  u.

Don't  be  blind, save  yourself.

GOD  guides  those  who  choose to be guide.
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by zubeyr(m): 2:27am On Dec 04, 2010
Salam  usisky I want to correct you on this one it seem obvious that  you never read the Koran in its original text and you are not an Arabic speaker Stop confusing people the verse 9:97 says " AL a' rabu Ashaddu kufran wa nifaqan wa ajdaru "The translation should read as "The bedouins are 
Srtonger in disbelief and hypocrisy and more likely "9:97
So the Arab is the Semitic race and A a rabi is the singular of Bedouins and AL a rabu is the nominative masculine plural noun
this verse was talking about the Bedouins of hijaz who were ones of the worst enemies of the prophet and not the Arabs
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by zubeyr(m): 5:04am On Dec 04, 2010
@ Lagosboy 
I addressed my views on" Khimar"(head scarf) in some of my previous posts and I think we agreed that khimar is the dress code mandated by Koran on Muslim women and not Hijab the ethimology of the words their form and meaning might have changed over time indeed  a study of surat Al nur 
verse 31 refers to Khimar as the type of garment   which I believe is wajib (obligatory) this ayah contains five commands which I will list as follow ;
1- lower the gaze
2-guard the private parts
3-not display ezzina (the adornment )
4-draw the khimar (head scarf) to cover the Jayb (bosoms)
5-not to stamp the feet to give knowledge of hidden adornment
Imam Tabari in his book Jami Albayan says that the woman is exempted from covering her face hands rings bracelets and make up
As for the word"zakah" it originated from the verb 'zakka"which has several meaning like growth,increase,development,nourishment,praise oneself and all those meaning are used in the Koran in different verses
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by Lagosboy: 4:31pm On Dec 04, 2010
@zubeyr

Dear brother alihamdulilah with calmness we have both come to the same agreement- the headscarf is mandatory in Islam .
Your initial post might have been confusing to others who do understand hijab to mean the headscarf like majority of Muslims Arabic speaking and non Arabic speaking alike.

Please regarding usisky if you don't know he belongs to the dajal Rashad Khalifa's religion called the submission.

@ usisky
There is no point discussing the hijab issue with you as you don't grasp the Arabic. I would discuss with you inshallah on the debate thread though
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by Nobody: 10:36pm On Dec 04, 2010
so anybody that reads the Quran alone is regarded as rashad follower,youre joking,cos i know alot of people that based on Quran alone and they never heard of rashad khalifa,so what are you saying pls
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by Nobody: 12:15am On Dec 05, 2010
Also,why do you put so much interest on ahadiths of 200yrs after the death of the prophet?what do you think the ummah were using after the death of  the prophet and during his lifetime,wake up people and use only the Quran
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by Nobody: 12:18am On Dec 05, 2010
Any sensible shaykhul will tell you the rope of Allah is Quran and nothing but the Quran
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by zayhal(f): 7:34pm On Dec 05, 2010
Oh Allah. Guide me unto the right path, the path of those whom you have shown your favour, not of those whom you're angry with, nor those who have gone astray.

Oh Allah, guide me towards a lifestyle that will lead me to Aljannah, and save me from the punishment of hell.

Amin. Amin. Amin.
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by azharuddin: 7:49pm On Dec 05, 2010
Ameen.
Re: Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab by Nobody: 10:52pm On Dec 06, 2010
Amin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ruling On Buying And Selling Land / How The Salaf Dealt With The People Of Desires / Why Islam Is A Religion Of Peace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.