Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,404 members, 7,819,431 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:08 PM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (210) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (915565 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (207) (208) (209) (210) (211) (212) (213) ... (510) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Aaaaarghmed(m): 6:21pm On Jul 08, 2020
mh53:
you will need to do a lil maths; do you use up to a litre to top up biweekly? Calculate the monthly oil top up cost x 12 months Versus the one time cost of changing that gasket with the associated labour cost/lubricant replacement cost. My car leaks oil too...a gasket seal cracked underneath when I parked the car for two
Months but it drops once every 5 days or so. It doesn’t make economic sense to drop the entire engine for me when I can easily top up once every two months. Weigh the pros and cons.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Aaaaarghmed(m): 6:23pm On Jul 08, 2020
mh53:
you will need to do a lil maths; do you use up to a litre to top up biweekly? Calculate the monthly oil top up cost x 12 months Versus the one time cost of changing that gasket with the associated labour cost/lubricant replacement cost. My car leaks oil too...a gasket seal cracked underneath when I parked the car for two
Months but it drops once every 5 days or so. It doesn’t make economic sense to drop the entire engine for me when I can easily top up once every two months. Weigh the pros and cons.
give better mech make dem fix am.dropping of engine is not a big deal ,na so my oil leak start with a drop before it turn to a lot anytime I drive and park when the car is hot.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by mh53(m): 7:21pm On Jul 08, 2020
AshipaEk0:

as a long term strategy this isn't exactly smart. i don't know what economic sense you think you are applying here

Hope you realize that leak WILL get worse and it will just get worse suddenly, usually when the engine is running under load.

if your engine dumps oil whilst running you will buy a new engine.

I don't get the logic of being afraid to change a seal. It only shows you like extremely cheap, incompetent mechanics
lol, I don’t get ur armchair analysis. In the case of my own car, it doesn’t make sense dropping my engine... a single drop every 5 days which equates to about 0.1 litres every two months, i have been checking it for 5 months and counting, and it’s been the same. I am not dropping any driveline component until my transmission fluid is due for changing. I used an Acura ZDX which had a similar case in 2016, it had a negligible case- the engine was finally dropped less than a month ago when the transmission needed servicing. That car was in use for 4 yrs! I made that decision after weighing the pros and cons, I didn’t want just anyone to handle that procedure. This is NOT a one size fits all approach, that’s why I asked about the intensity of his own leak. My present car is still in near perfect condition with no check engine light.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Kassiny(m): 8:15pm On Jul 09, 2020
Dear Gazzuzz and order wonderful gurus..

Camry 2008 V6
Dash board, steering and entire car Start to vibrate when acceleration hits from 80kmh upward..

Pls help.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:40pm On Jul 09, 2020
Kassiny:

Camry 2008 V6
Dash board, steering and entire car Start to vibrate when acceleration hits from 80kmh upward..

Pls help.

Wheel balance or inner side C.V axles or both

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Kassiny(m): 8:47pm On Jul 09, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

Wheel balance or inner side C.V axles or both

Wheel balancing done... But car still vibrates
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by realphatphem: 8:53pm On Jul 09, 2020
Been noticing the same also with my 2000 Camry I4, but the vibration normally start from the front passenger's seat towards steering each time I attain 70km/hr speed and above.. Someone should suggest the possible cause and what to fix please. Thanks..
Kassiny:

Camry 2008 V6

Pls help.

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by DukeNija(m): 11:56pm On Jul 09, 2020
tatax:

Thanks Gazzuzz.. I appreciate what you do in this forum. I will ensure to do as recommended. Thank you

Gazzuzz fixes cars you know. You might want a competent hand for this particular job.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by melviniyke2002(m): 12:14am On Jul 10, 2020
Kassiny:

Wheel balancing done... But car still vibrates
same here...after i did wheel balancing same result,i change my brake disc n brake pad...it stop

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by gbemsone(f): 6:26am On Jul 10, 2020
Dear OP ,,please help me my eod 2003 fuel quage n temperature quage not working ,,,what can i do
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Allem(m): 7:00am On Jul 10, 2020
Good day everyone, especially the gurus. My 1999 camry i4 smokes very heavily only on cold weather, the exhaust line is very dry. Smoke only comes when is rains or the weather is cold. This isn't due like dey call it. It coves the environment that you can hardly see behind. Pls what could be the issue and how can it be fixed?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by gafman222: 7:37am On Jul 10, 2020
I have 2003 camry which I've been using Mobil XHP oil for its service but when I started noticing shortage of oil after 2 years, a mechanic recommended another oil and the problem still persist. I use to buy a litre oil every week and someone later suggested I can be buying that 700 naira oil from any total fuel station to top it until another service (when I can use my normal oil to service). Some mechanics suggested ringing the engine to curb d oil shortage issue while some are against the idea (stating that since d car is not smoking at all)
I'm thinking of going fully synthetic if that will solve my issue or I should just ring the engine
Please experts in the house should advice me on this
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:22am On Jul 10, 2020
gafman222:
I have 2003 camry which I've been using Mobil XHP oil for its service but when I started noticing shortage of oil after 2 years, a mechanic recommended another oil and the problem still persist. I use to buy a litre oil every week and someone later suggested I can be buying that 700 naira oil from any total fuel station to top it until another service (when I can use my normal oil to service). Some mechanics suggested ringing the engine to curb d oil shortage issue while some are against the idea (stating that since d car is not smoking at all)
I'm thinking of going fully synthetic if that will solve my issue or I should just ring the engine
Please experts in the house should advice me on this

egungun be careful.....

You have oil burn. Start by checking pcv valve for blocks by sludge.

If you lucky it is contributing to the oil burn.

Ultimately you will need an engine rebuild in the near future.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:23am On Jul 10, 2020
Allem:
Good day everyone, especially the gurus. My 1999 camry i4 smokes very heavily only on cold weather, the exhaust line is very dry. Smoke only comes when is rains or the weather is cold. This isn't due like dey call it. It coves the environment that you can hardly see behind. Pls what could be the issue and how can it be fixed?

i don't think your vehicle smokes. Seems it's just steam, and engine idle speed is higher than usual
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:27am On Jul 10, 2020
gbemsone:
Dear OP ,,please help me my eod 2003 fuel quage n temperature quage not working ,,,what can i do

first instal high end scanner and search for those values on the device.

If you can find the missing info in live scan , there's a high possibility the instrument cluster has gone bad.

1 Share

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:29am On Jul 10, 2020
melviniyke2002:
same here...after i did wheel balancing same result,i change my brake disc n brake pad...it stop

Not same issue.

Your vibration only showed itself when stepping on the brakes.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Allem(m): 9:32am On Jul 10, 2020
Thanks for the response sir, The smoke covers everywhere and it's thick it goes off after sometime but last as long as 3 to 5 mins when it happens
GAZZUZZ:

i don't think your vehicle smokes. Seems it's just steam, and engine idle speed is higher than usual
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:43am On Jul 10, 2020
Allem:
Thanks for the response sir, The smoke covers everywhere and it's thick it goes off after sometime but last as long as 3 to 5 mins when it happens

Check brake servo aka brake booster. Seems it is filled with brake oil.

Have you been topping brake oil recently?

1 Share

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by gafman222: 10:23am On Jul 10, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

egungun be careful.....

You have oil burn. Start by checking pcv valve for blocks by sludge.

If you lucky it is contributing to the oil burn.

Ultimately you will need an engine rebuild in the near future.
Thanks boss
Do u think using that 700 naira oil to top has not affected d engine and is "engine rebuild" same as ringing?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:40am On Jul 10, 2020
gafman222:

Thanks boss
Do u think using that 700 naira oil to top has not affected d engine and is "engine rebuild" same as ringing?

Our local term partly yes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by afobam(m): 10:52am On Jul 10, 2020
The time on the radio of my accord 07 keeps blinking after locking the car. Who knows how this can be resolved?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by ibbkiddsx: 12:16pm On Jul 10, 2020
Dear GAZZUS,
I need your advice. I just bought this Toyota 4runner with 20" tyre and wheel.
My intention is to change it back to recommended wheel. But I noticed two different information on the driver side.
Sir I need your advice on whether to continue using the 20" or change it back to 18".

Pictures of the car and the information below.
The third picture is was is confusing me

Thanks
Cc: GAZZUZZ

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by kingreign(m): 2:00pm On Jul 10, 2020
ibbkiddsx:
Dear GAZZUS,
My intention is to change it back to recommended wheel. But I noticed two different information on the driver side.
Sir I need your advice on whether to continue using the 20" or change it back to 18".

Thanks

The middle picture on the tyre info was from manufacturer, the third picture bearing sticker for new 20" tyre and it's recommended tyre size and cold air inflation recommendations.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by ibbkiddsx: 2:35pm On Jul 10, 2020
kingreign:

The middle picture on the tyre info was from manufacturer, the third picture bearing sticker for new 20" tyre and it's recommended tyre size and cold air inflation recommendations.

Can I leave the 20" tyre then other car or change it back to manufacturer recommendation.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by kingreign(m): 2:37pm On Jul 10, 2020
ibbkiddsx:

Can I leave the 20" tyre then other car or change it back to manufacturer recommendation.
It alL depends on you.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by ibbkiddsx: 2:58pm On Jul 10, 2020
kingreign:

It alL depends on you.

Thank you very much

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:00pm On Jul 10, 2020
ibbkiddsx:
Dear GAZZUS,

Thanks

I have 2 units of same car in the shop.

One with 16inch rim the other with 17inch rim.

Personally it is safer to have tyres close to the rim in case of a blow out, but it's also better to have tyres further away from the rim in case of large craters .

17" would be a safer choice.

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by melviniyke2002(m): 3:00pm On Jul 10, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

Not same issue.

Your vibration only showed itself when stepping on the brakes.
yes very correct
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by ibbkiddsx: 6:50pm On Jul 10, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

I have 2 units of same car in the shop.

One with 16inch rim the other with 17inch rim.

Personally it is safer to have tyres close to the rim in case of a blow out, but it's also better to have tyres further away from the rim in case of large craters .

17" would be a safer choice.
Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by afobam(m): 8:20pm On Jul 10, 2020
Please how can I put this off? I fear it damaging the battery.

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by ablesolomo: 8:25am On Jul 11, 2020
Please house, I would like to raise my Nissan Almera Tino's ground clearance and the mechanic said I can either buy bigger tyre, or he can help me increase the height kazeem style (which is cheaper according to him). What are the pros and cons of these different methods, and which option should I go for?
My present tire is 195/65R15

CC: nurey
Gazzuzz
heavenlybang
others pls help

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (207) (208) (209) (210) (211) (212) (213) ... (510) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.