Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,722 members, 7,816,972 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:43 PM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (431) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (913977 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (428) (429) (430) (431) (432) (433) (434) ... (509) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:54am On Oct 28, 2022
LandoKingz:
Hi Senior Prof in the house I need your advice on what to do, I recently changed my car engine 2ZZ GE for matrix XRS because of a mechanic error dat damaged the first engine.

Now on the older engine the knock sensor has a plug with 2holes the new engine came with a knock sensor that has 1hole so the connection did not match the mechanic that replaced the engine says I can use it like dat but on scanning the car it showing me that knock sensor how can I go about it.

The older sensor can't fit in the place of the new sensor but engine is same.

It can
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:56am On Oct 28, 2022
Drazman:
My camry 05 battery runs down so fast. Turn off the engine for like say 5 minutes with maybe a door open, it won't start again. Who I bought the car from said the battery was purchased recently. I have serviced the kick, yet same issue. The alternator charges the battery well. I am just tired.
What could be the cause and remedy please?

Try another battery
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:57am On Oct 28, 2022
Originakalokalo:
Good morning everyone.

Special thanks to those who provide help here.

Presently, my exhaust was worked on and a day after I got P0401 error code. The car is Honda Accord 2007.

The error code points at EGR.

1. Can I travel with this and fix it when I return? How serious is this?

2. What are the things to check before replacing the component?

Please kindly respond. Thank you.

Cc: GAZZUZZ
Kingreign

Others.

Exhaust recirculation was most likely blocked off.

You can travel as you wish, you have lost that feature.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Originakalokalo(m): 4:27am On Oct 28, 2022
GAZZUZZ:

Exhaust recirculation was most likely blocked off.

You can travel as you wish, you have lost that feature.

This is a new code that just showed up ever since I have been using the car.

I don't think it is blocked.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by WycliffeSMB(m): 8:17pm On Oct 28, 2022
Good evening House!...

I have ISSUE!!!

The car is a 2001 Honda Odyssey.

While driving yesterday, the car engine suddenly went off...but all the lights on the dashboard and the radio/headlamps were still working.

I had to clear from the road, and tried starting it again.
When I turned the key, there was no response.
The engine doesn't start or revolve...but the lights on the dashboard were showing.
I had to leave it.

This morning, I called an auto-electrician to check it.
In the process, he turned on the ignition with the key from inside, then he came out, opened the bonnet and attached a wire to the kick starter and touched it on the battery terminal and the Engine started without hesitation.
He then put the engine off, loosed the cover under the steering and did some wire cut-and-join connections and the car was able to start NORMALLY from the inside.

I paid and he left.

I drove the car to work and came back this evening without any issue.

This night I wanted to go out, and when I turned the ignition, the car failed to start(no engine crank) but I noticed a noise, I opened the bonnet and something attached to the kick-starter was making a continuous sound (like a fan on high speed).

I turned of the ignition immediately and removed the key, but the thing was still revolving.
I then had to disconnect the battery terminals and it stopped.

I just called the electrician and complained.
He said he will come tommorrow and check.

I have a feeling that something isn't right with the work he did. Maybe he did some bypass and now it's backfiring.

What could be the possible initial issue with my car before the electrician did this job?

Please I need Expert Advice now so that I can be equipped to face him tommorrow
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by WycliffeSMB(m): 8:19pm On Oct 28, 2022
WycliffeSMB:

Good evening House!...

I have an ISSUE!!!

The car is a 2001 Honda Odyssey.

While driving yesterday, the car engine suddenly went off...but all the lights on the dashboard and the radio/headlamps were still working.

I had to clear from the road, and tried starting it again.
When I turned the key, there was no response.
The engine doesn't start or revolve...but the lights on the dashboard were showing.
I had to leave it.

This morning, I called an auto-electrician to check it.
In the process, he turned on the ignition with the key from inside, then he came out, opened the bonnet and attached a wire to the kick starter and touched it on the battery terminal and the Engine started without hesitation.
He then put the engine off, loosed the cover under the steering and did some wire cut-and-join connections and the car was able to start NORMALLY from the inside.

I paid and he left.

I drove the car to work and came back this evening without any issue.

This night I wanted to go out, and when I turned the ignition, the car failed to start(no engine crank) but I noticed a noise, I opened the bonnet and something attached to the kick-starter was making a continuous sound (like a fan on high speed).

I turned of the ignition immediately and removed the key, but the thing was still revolving.
I then had to disconnect the battery terminals and it stopped.

I just called the electrician and complained.
He said he will come tommorrow and check.

I have a feeling that something isn't right with the work he did. Maybe he did some bypass and now it's backfiring.

What could be the possible initial issue with my car before the electrician did this job?

Please I need Expert Advice now so that I can be equipped to face him tommorrow

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by henak: 10:37pm On Oct 28, 2022
Good evening House. Its Kia Sorento 2011 4wd. Check engine on and it appears to consume fuel beyond 18 mpg for city drive and a slightly but barely perceptible vibration on the engine. Scans are not picking up the issue. It seems the issue is high fuel consumption. Runing 45miles already on a 27 litre of fuel which on a good day should be at least 121miles. Any help?, wouldn't mind a very good Kia expert in Ibadan Oyo state.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by codernoni: 6:10am On Oct 29, 2022
I took my 2008 honda accord for a trip.. I noticed the engine will lose power and stall when climbing hills.. I managed it like that but along the trip it become worse, struggling to accelerate and going off a couple of times.
Most times i just cleared off the road and allowed it for some 1-2mins and it wil start and drive off again for some 5mins before losing power, crawling and maybe going off.
The last time it went off before i got to my destination, the steering got stiff, the low oil pressure and battery light came on before it went off.
NB my oil levels are okay.

I have no check engine light on.
I called my mechanic he said it should be a bad fuel pump. Are you suspecting the same? GAZZUZZ
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:39am On Oct 29, 2022
codernoni:
I took my 2008 honda accord for a trip.. I noticed the engine will lose power and stall when climbing hills.. I managed it like that but along the trip it become worse, struggling to accelerate and going off a couple of times.
Most times i just cleared off the road and allowed it for some 1-2mins and it wil start and drive off again for some 5mins before losing power, crawling and maybe going off.
The last time it went off before i got to my destination, the steering got stiff, the low oil pressure and battery light came on before it went off.
NB my oil levels are okay.

I have no check engine light on.
I called my mechanic he said it should be a bad fuel pump. Are you suspecting the same? GAZZUZZ

Low fuel pressure

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by WycliffeSMB(m): 9:55am On Oct 29, 2022
Good day House!

Pls what's the position of the starter relay on a HONDA ODYSSEY 2001?

I can only see the Fuel pump relay under the steering but am trying to locate the Starter relay.
Any ideas?

Pls HELP!!!
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by osaslord500(m): 11:32am On Oct 29, 2022
Hello gazzuzz I bought this Es350 2009 model July this year and after few weeks the ac automatically stop cooling by it self and it gets back up by itself after some time or I’ll turn the ac off and on it back for it to work, after some time I noticed some ac vents weren’t cooling and after some time everything crashed , I went to my ac guy and he advised me to Change the compressor and condenser and I said okay maybe some other time, I asked him if there’s anything he can do to make it work and he filled the ac with gas then put oil too and it was working perfectly again, I started driving home and like 10minutes into my journey driving home the ac stopped working again, please have anyone experienced this and have an advise for me , I honestly don’t know what to do. Thank you
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:39pm On Oct 29, 2022
osaslord500:
Hello gazzuzz I bought this Es350 2009 model July this year and after few weeks the ac automatically stop cooling by it self and it gets back up by itself after some time or I’ll turn the ac off and on it back for it to work, after some time I noticed some ac vents weren’t cooling and after some time everything crashed , I went to my ac guy and he advised me to Change the compressor and condenser and I said okay maybe some other time, I asked him if there’s anything he can do to make it work and he filled the ac with gas then put oil too and it was working perfectly again, I started driving home and like 10minutes into my journey driving home the ac stopped working again, please have anyone experienced this and have an advise for me , I honestly don’t know what to do. Thank you

Straight and narrow way. Buy a brand new OEM compressor.

Cheaper straight way, buy a brand new aftermarket compressor .

Other options buy a foreign used automatic compressor and hope it still has some life in it, there are no guarantees but hopes and prayers.

Reality.

You bought a foreign used car, it came with a foreign used compressor, it is old and now it is dead. If you were to buy another foreign used compressor ₦50-70k chances are that you might be lucky and if installed properly you could get 100k miles off it, also possible you could just get 5k miles before it packs up again.

The Nigerian in me would rather gamble with 3 foreign used compressors than buy an OEM compressor for over 500k .

Good luck.

6 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by melviniyke2002(m): 2:28pm On Oct 29, 2022
Sankabson:
Gurus in the house, I have a 03 Camry shorting oil. The engine sounds and run well.

There’s no spot where the oil is leaking.. What could likely be the cause of this ?..

Thanks in advance
wots ur oil change interval, how many miles do u notice shortage,wot oil weight do u use.....
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Sankabson(m): 2:31pm On Oct 29, 2022
melviniyke2002:
wots ur oil change interval, how many miles do u notice shortage,wot oil weight do u use.....

Normally, I change oil every 3000mile. And I use Total Quarts 5000.

But I started noticing the oil shorted in less than 1200miles.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by uctomide(m): 2:47pm On Oct 29, 2022
uctomide:
Good evening all,
Please I scanned my car yesterday and the following error codes was discovered
Kia Cerato 2009

P0012.. Camshaft position (CMP), intake/left/front, bank 1: timing over-retarded
P0501... vehicle Speed sensor(VSS), range/performance problem

Please do advise

Good afternoon bosses in the house,
Please my car stalled twice today while driving, I noticed the volt dropped to 10.4 from 13.5-14.2. on the first occasion It stopped, I allowed it to cool off then it started while the volts was 12.5.
On the second occasion the volts didn't pick up to 12. Hence the car is still parked along the road.
Do note the rpm goes a little below 1 while driving, especially when I drive through pot holes.

I scanned and this code P0012 showed up.

@Gazzuzz please do assist.

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:05pm On Oct 29, 2022
uctomide:

Good afternoon bosses in the house,
Please my car stalled twice today while driving, I noticed the volt dropped to 10.4 from 13.5-14.2. on the first occasion It stopped, I allowed it to cool off then it started while the volts was 12.5.
On the second occasion the volts didn't pick up to 12. Hence the car is still parked along the road.
Do note the rpm goes a little below 1 while driving, especially when I drive through pot holes.

I scanned and this code P0012 showed up.

@Gazzuzz please do assist.

Get another battery to start the car. If it starts a possible alternator failure

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Engrchoko: 7:26pm On Oct 29, 2022
Good evening House. I have a complain about my Corolla 05, It Vibrates massively.
1. I have Changed all the engine mounts.
2. Changed plugs.
3. Changed Axles and almost everything in the legs, down to servicing the shocks.
4. Change oil regularly and service the car from time to time.

Still it vibrates when it gets to 30k, and often times vibrates when on idle.
Please what could be the cause? I have spent a lot on mechanics.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by uctomide(m): 8:00pm On Oct 29, 2022
GAZZUZZ:

Get another battery to start the car. If it starts a possible alternator failure

I have gotten another battery, it cranks but still not starting
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by emynem05(m): 9:28pm On Oct 29, 2022
Engrchoko:
Good evening House. I have a complain about my Corolla 05, It Vibrates massively.
2. Changed plugs.
3. Changed Axles and almost everything in the legs, down to servicing the shocks.

Change or service the injector sensor
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by selfmadeOLX(m): 10:03pm On Oct 29, 2022
Engrchoko:
2. Changed plugs.

What’s the bolded?

From my basic limited knowledge, I would suspect a worn torque converter

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by uctomide(m): 12:48am On Oct 30, 2022
uctomide:

I have gotten another battery, it cranks but still not starting

@Gazzuzz thanks for the feedback

I was able to get a rewire, after checking the components he arrived that a grounding is not firm, hence the car's hesitation to start engine.

He was able to trace the grounding and the car started.... On my way home though the road is very rough it went off twice but it started immediately when I turned on ignition back.

I am looking at getting a battery mount.

Suggestions is welcomed
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by osaslord500(m): 8:36am On Oct 30, 2022
GAZZUZZ:

Straight and narrow way. Buy a brand new OEM compressor.

Cheaper straight way, buy a brand new aftermarket compressor .

Other options buy a foreign used automatic compressor and hope it still has some life in it, there are no guarantees but hopes and prayers.

Reality.

You bought a foreign used car, it came with a foreign used compressor, it is old and now it is dead. If you were to buy another foreign used compressor ₦50-70k chances are that you might be lucky and if installed properly you could get 100k miles off it, also possible you could just get 5k miles before it packs up again.

The Nigerian in me would rather gamble with 3 foreign used compressors than buy an OEM compressor for over 500k .

Good luck.

Thank you sir. I’ll do that and hopefully it’s going to be good and I’ll let you know
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:48am On Oct 30, 2022
uctomide:

@Gazzuzz thanks for the feedback

I was able to get a rewire, after checking the components he arrived that a grounding is not firm, hence the car's hesitation to start engine.

He was able to trace the grounding and the car started.... On my way home though the road is very rough it went off twice but it started immediately when I turned on ignition back.

I am looking at getting a battery mount.

Suggestions is welcomed

https://www.nairaland.com/5279066/it-just-n50-naira-fuse/3

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by temideee: 9:10am On Oct 30, 2022
Hello house, i have Toyota camry 2010 that wont enter drive but it reverse is working fine. I’ve changed the gear oil( wS) still same issue. It started two months ago while traveling. It will be reviving without moving forward when it’s in drive. What’s the solution? Please help God bless you
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:38pm On Oct 30, 2022
temideee:
Hello house, i have Toyota camry 2010 that wont enter drive but it reverse is working fine. I’ve changed the gear oil( wS) still same issue. It started two months ago while traveling. It will be reviving without moving forward when it’s in drive. What’s the solution? Please help God bless you

Logical thing is to replace the transmission, repair is not an option.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Engrchoko: 6:12pm On Oct 30, 2022
emynem05:

Change or service the injector sensor
Thanks I’ll look into it
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Engrchoko: 6:16pm On Oct 30, 2022
selfmadeOLX:

What’s the bolded?

From my basic limited knowledge, I would suspect a worn torque converter

30 Km/h
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Engrchoko: 6:16pm On Oct 30, 2022
Engrchoko:
2. Changed plugs.

@Gazzuzz kindly comment on this
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:26pm On Oct 30, 2022
Engrchoko:
2. Changed plugs.

Usually this is the problem.

1 Share

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by dicksonadams(m): 6:38pm On Oct 30, 2022
Sankabson:

like how many liters do you suspect is lost within 1200 miles, it is not uncommon for a car to short some oil as they age, yourz might be within manufacturer specifications for your car
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by uctomide(m): 6:45pm On Oct 30, 2022
GAZZUZZ:

https://www.nairaland.com/5279066/it-just-n50-naira-fuse/3

Thanks Boss @Gazzuzz, It was a really nice read.
Keep on the good work, sceneries in your write up are quite similar with my current ordeal. I would check the IG fuse tomorrow and feedback.

Thanks for all you do
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Mcdreamy15: 7:27pm On Oct 30, 2022
Sankabson:

budget one litre every 600 miles and change every 2k miles since that total you use is 20w50. na so i dey run my 08 2AZ.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (428) (429) (430) (431) (432) (433) (434) ... (509) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.