Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,100 members, 7,818,289 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:04 PM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (80) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (914894 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) ... (510) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by eagleeye2: 7:58pm On Nov 03, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

I'm afraid I cannot be of any more assistance. Proper Diagnosis required.
Is it possible that the T.stat is stuck close?
Also the white reservoir tank has a crack on the top, but it hasn't been a problem in the past...
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Machini(m): 10:52pm On Nov 03, 2018
eagleeye2:
Oga GAZZUZZ, and other experts greetings. I am a silent 'hailer' of your works and prefer to read most times.
I have been having overheating issues with my car.
First, was that the radiator leaked fluids. I got it sealed and proceeded to wash radiator. Problem continued.
Then I was asked to change the fan, that it had one blade missing from each of the fans I changed the fans. But problem persisted.
Sometimes the temperature needle gets to the red line within 30 minutes of driving or in a hold up and I will park and allow it to cool for sometime.
Now, I am being asked to change the top gasket that it has gone bad (blown/damaged), I am skeptical about that for the following reasons ;
_The cars movement is okay.
_ Apart from the overheating and the white reservoir tank being filled up to overflowing, I can't pin down any other issue.
_ I don't know if thermostat has gone bad, and may be the culprit and I am being made to undergo a very expensive repair that may not solve the issue
_But the most important reason of all is that, I am not too buoyant to undergo a trial and error service anymore.
The car in question, is Toyota avalon 2000.
Sir, abeg I crave your invaluable knowledge on this issue.

Whoa! Talk about coincidence. I drive same Toyota Avalon 2000 model and I'm experiencing the same issue. Infact I just got home a few minutes ago from a trip and my car overheated twice on my way back, good thing I bought 2 bags of sachet water before leaving in the morning.

Drove over 3 hours on my way to the place and it didn't overheat. Only happened on my way back, because I initially turned on the AC. it overheated like 20mins into the journey. Happened again even after I allowed it to cool down and topped up the water in the radiator.

Maybe I should try replacing the pressure cap as Gazzuzz suggested, cos there's a little crack on the seal.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by eagleeye2: 6:47am On Nov 04, 2018
Machini:

Whoa! Talk about coincidence. I drive same Toyota Avalon 2000 model and I'm experiencing the same issue. Infact I just got home a few minutes ago from a trip and my car overheated twice on my way back, good thing I bought 2 bags of sachet water before leaving in the morning.

Drove over 3 hours on my way to the place and it didn't overheat. Only happened on my way back, because I initially turned on the AC. it overheated like 20mins into the journey. Happened again even after I allowed it to cool down and topped up the water in the radiator.

Maybe I should try replacing the pressure cap as Gazzuzz suggested, cos there's a little crack on the seal.
When it overheated, did the needle touch the red line? I am just so confused.
is there no one in the house who can help me make sense of this nonsense?
I even have always checked to see if oil is mixing with water but it's not. yet they asking me to change top gasket. One even said I should change radiator and top together, as if the money tree dey my backyard. Another said i should just be gathering money for a new engine.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by olumanja: 7:54am On Nov 04, 2018
Good morning Oga GAZZUZZ, what is the recommended coolant for Highlander 2007.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Sankabson(m): 8:01am On Nov 04, 2018
My 1996 Toyota Camry Power steering fluid is leaking. A full cup hardly last me a day. Mechanic said i'll have to change the whole steering rack. which cost over 30K. Please, is there any other alternative to this..

Sanusi..
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by dru23(m): 8:25am On Nov 04, 2018
eagleeye2:

I even have always checked to see if oil is mixing with water but it's not. yet they asking me to change top gasket. One even said I should change radiator and top together, as if the money tree dey my backyard. Another said i should just be gathering money for a new engine.

My guess is that the engine is gone ...this is one of the major reason I tell people to use coolant ...using coolant would have prevented this problem.. ..the major function of a coolant is to help cool down the engine.. Coolant works a lot better than water... so imagine just water alone boiling inside the radiator, it is over working engine and you will end up replacing the radiator.

The picture below is for my 07 elantra... I had to spend 150k to "ring" the engine ..smoke was coming out and oil drying up very fast.. But I was fast enough before further damage. If you look at the picture below, on the top of the engine is the thermostat.... You see how rusted it is ..this is due to the use of water instead of coolant... so I had to buy another for 5k and spending a total 7k plus workmanship.... Don't be penny wise and pound foolish

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Machini(m): 8:36am On Nov 04, 2018
eagleeye2:

It didn't get to the red regions the first time cos I noticed it immediately the coolant temperature crossed the halfway line. But it did the second time cos I was gisting and forgot to check for a while.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by dru23(m): 8:42am On Nov 04, 2018
eagleeye2:

Wish you the best of luck bro ...that engine will need to be rebuilt or replace... do basic maintenance on your car ..your car and wallet will thank you.

https://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.redplum.com/blog/post/120522/how-to-keep-your-car-from-overheating-this-summer&ved=2ahUKEwi9zszlnbreAhWLBsAKHYQKBxwQFjABegQIDBAE&usg=AOvVaw10_FZCzxPpPVTGIDLAKyeN&cshid=1541317177681
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:10am On Nov 04, 2018
olumanja:
Good morning Oga GAZZUZZ, what is the recommended coolant for Highlander 2007.

Toyota
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by eagleeye2: 9:44am On Nov 04, 2018
dru23:

My guess is that the engine is gone ...this is one of the major reason I tell people to use coolant ...using coolant would have prevented this problem.. ..the major function of a coolant is to help cool down the engine.. Coolant works a lot better than water... so imagine just water alone boiling inside the radiator, it is over working engine and you will end up replacing the radiator.

The picture below is for my 07 elantra... I had to spend 150k to "ring" the engine ..smoke was coming out and oil drying up very fast.. But I was fast enough before further damage. If you look at the picture below, on the top of the engine is the thermostat.... You see how rusted it is ..this is due to the use of water instead of coolant... so I had to buy another for 5k and spending a total 7k plus workmanship.... Don't be penny wise and pound foolish
What of after using coolant, and you just see it flowing out through the coolant reservoir tank and within a week, you have been forced to use over two bottles of coolant?
At the same time mechanics keep suggesting one thing or the other?
what do you advice?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by eagleeye2: 9:48am On Nov 04, 2018
dru23:

Wish you the best of luck bro ...that engine will need to be rebuilt or replace... do basic maintenance on your car ..your car and wallet will thank you.

https://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.redplum.com/blog/post/120522/how-to-keep-your-car-from-overheating-this-summer&ved=2ahUKEwi9zszlnbreAhWLBsAKHYQKBxwQFjABegQIDBAE&usg=AOvVaw10_FZCzxPpPVTGIDLAKyeN&cshid=1541317177681
On Thursday i was at the mechanic and i saw a car whose engine was just replaced, giving out this constant knocking sound at start up...the same engine as mine. I just smh, and pitied the owner. Cos, he is going to cough out another 30k or 40k before the seller will agree to accept the first one he bought.
Just tired of this whole wahala.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by eagleeye2: 9:49am On Nov 04, 2018
Machini:

It didn't get to the red regions the first time cos I noticed it immediately the coolant temperature crossed the halfway line. But it did the second time cos I was gisting and forgot to check for a while.
Abeg tag me, when you must have found a solution to your own.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by dru23(m): 11:02am On Nov 04, 2018
eagleeye2:

What of after using coolant, and you just see it flowing out through the coolant reservoir tank and within a week, you have been forced to use over two bottles of coolant?
At the same time mechanics keep suggesting one thing or the other?
what do you advice?

My personal advice ...just buy new engine... just close your eyes and buy new engine......
The elantra that was ' ring' I bought most of the parts for it in USA pic bellow.... And the mechanic that did the ringing is pretty gud, I like his wrk... but at the same time, am keeping my fingers crossed that the car will last me till I want sell am ..that is my wishful thinking...
Once a mechanic starts messing around the engine of a car.. My brother just know that you are playing with fire ...with the use of fake parts in the country, that engine most likely will never be the same ...the mechanic that my car, he said he has never seen original parts like mines before.. He said and I quote
" he no dey for market at all " .
I try and advocate for people to just do basic car maintenance. But most will tell me na because I want sell market to them . So those that will take advice, will take advice.

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by eagleeye2: 11:18am On Nov 04, 2018
dru23:

My personal advice ...just buy new engine... just close your eyes and buy new engine......
The elantra that was ' ring' I bought most of the parts for it in USA pic bellow.... And the mechanic that did the ringing is pretty gud, I like his wrk... but at the same time, am keeping my fingers crossed that the car will last me till I want sell am ..that is my wishful thinking...
Once a mechanic starts messing around the engine of a car.. My brother just know that you are playing with fire ...with the use of fake parts in the country, that engine most likely will never be the same ...the mechanic that my car, he said he has never seen original parts like mines before.. He said and I quote
" he no dey for market at all " .
I try and advocate for people to just do basic car maintenance. But most will tell me na because I want sell market to them . So those that will take advice, will take advice.

New engine on my mind. But, cash no dey now. So, na 2019 things be that. Cause I ring the engine for 2016 and i believe the guy who did it tried.
If not for this overheating stuff, I wouldn't be too worried until I gather money for new engine. Some people for Alaoji spare market have equally told me that most engine they sell as Belgium there has been worked on before packaging it for sell.
Nigerians are just too selfish sometimes.
Thank you for your advice.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by eagleeye2: 12:49pm On Nov 04, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

I'm afraid I cannot be of any more assistance. Proper Diagnosis required.
Just discovered, that the rubber on the one my mechanic changed was damaged. .. smh. I just hope getting another one will solve it.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by dru23(m): 12:50pm On Nov 04, 2018
eagleeye2:

New engine on my mind. But, cash no dey now. So, na 2019 things be that. Cause I ring the engine for 2016 and i believe the guy who did it tried.
If not for this overheating stuff, I wouldn't be too worried until I gather money for new engine. Some people for Alaoji spare market have equally told me that most engine they sell as Belgium there has been worked on before packaging it for sell.

No problem... ....for future sake, try and invest in better coolant. Look for sellers that import the real stuff ..you can find them on nairaland... I had bad experience looking for coolant.. Am hoping my cars will manage themselves till I import my own
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by eagleeye2: 12:53pm On Nov 04, 2018
dru23:

No problem... ....for future sake, try and invest in better coolant. Look for sellers that import the real stuff ..you can find them on nairaland... I had bad experience looking for coolant.. Am hoping my cars will manage themselves till I import my own
I pray Oluwa pick my call soon.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Machini(m): 2:44pm On Nov 04, 2018
eagleeye2:

"Alaoji"....seems you reside in Aba.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by drtee247(m): 6:18pm On Nov 04, 2018
Hi, pls my Peugeot 307 front wiper goes on and doesn’t stop when ever I switch it on, I have to remove the battery before it stops , what could be the problem?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by eagleeye2: 6:32pm On Nov 04, 2018
Machini:

yes bro
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by J0hnTrevolt(m): 7:03pm On Nov 04, 2018
eagleeye2:

Bro do u get d best of fuel economy on this ride?
I hav same ride 2002 model bt d fuel economy is nothing to write home about, i only use it nw as a back up car to my main ride. Drives very smooth bt d economy is zero. Roughly 11mpg.
How about urs?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by princejones(m): 7:03pm On Nov 04, 2018
Machini:

Alaoji guys are quite smart,one has to be very careful with them and also have a good knowledge of what he want to buy,if not you are one your own cos they will give you part knowing fully well that it will not fit into your car just to make sales especially if the had not sell and in need of cash
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by DonBabaNG: 9:45pm On Nov 04, 2018
Hello Fellow Nairalanders, I own a Ford Focus 2001 hatchback, and recently it does hard to start in the morning. But once I struggle and on the engine, the problem seize till the next morning when the engine must have been cold.

Plz house, how do I tackle this. It's becoming embarrassing
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by eagleeye2: 11:43pm On Nov 04, 2018
J0hnTrevolt:
Bro do u get d best of fuel economy on this ride?
I hav same ride 2002 model bt d fuel economy is nothing to write home about, i only use it nw as a back up car to my main ride. Drives very smooth bt d economy is zero. Roughly 11mpg.
How about urs?
for a v6, I believe the fuel economy is not that bad. Considering that, I switched from Mercedes 230 to this 7 years ago.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by eagleeye2: 2:26pm On Nov 05, 2018
Greetings Oga Gazzuzz and other experts in the house. I visited another mechanic today and sadly he confirmed that my top gasket has been affected. And advised that I change the gasket and resurface it.
I don't have the money for the labor now. what if I remove the thermostat, and run the car like that for the meantime will it help? At most a month from now, I would have sorted myself out.
Advice needed please.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by ticoticotico: 6:09pm On Nov 05, 2018
Hello my people, I'm experiencing a "oommmming" noise inside my car when the engine is on, the noise is more pronounced if the car stereo is on, what could be the problem, Toyota camry 10
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by DonBabaNG: 9:40pm On Nov 05, 2018
Oga Gazzuzz please help a brother out.

DonBabaNG:
Hello Fellow Nairalanders, I own a Ford Focus 2001 hatchback, and recently it does hard to start in the morning. But once I struggle and on the engine, the problem seize till the next morning when the engine must have been cold.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:13am On Nov 06, 2018
DonBabaNG:

Scan vehicle, check fuel pressure values.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:15am On Nov 06, 2018
ticoticotico:
Hello my people, I'm experiencing a "oommmming" noise inside my car when the engine is on, the noise is more pronounced if the car stereo is on, what could be the problem, Toyota camry 10

Looks like interference on the amplifier system. Is it an aftermarket entertainment system?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:16am On Nov 06, 2018
eagleeye2:
Greetings Oga Gazzuzz and other experts in the house. I visited another mechanic today and sadly he confirmed that my top gasket has been affected. And advised that I change the gasket and resurface it.
I don't have the money for the labor now. what if I remove the thermostat, and run the car like that for the meantime will it help? At most a month from now, I would have sorted myself out.
Advice needed please.

What do you have to loose? cheesy
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by eagleeye2: 10:35am On Nov 06, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

What do you have to loose? cheesy
grin very funny man.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by BMZK: 5:23pm On Nov 08, 2018
@GAZZUZ,
I just came back yesterday from a long journey and i realized my car (toyota avalon 2003) stopped firing after i covered to 1st 100km. The car was behaving like the fuel was bad or empty or bad fuel pump. When the car came to near stop, i had to park hoping to find a mechanic. When i could not find any mechanic, i started the car again and was surprised it was moving fine for the next 50km. When i understood OFF/ON the engine solves temporary the problem, all i needed to do when it starts misfiring is to put the gear to neutral, off the engine and restart it again without stopping in order to proceed with my journey.I was able to make my journey of over 1000km using that trick.
Now that i am in town the car is moving fine since i don't have to cover long distance but i know the problem has not been resolved.
Please do you have any idea what could be the cause of this problem ?

(1) (2) (3) ... (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) ... (510) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.