Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,123 members, 7,814,939 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:29 AM

Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents - Religion (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents (43147 Views)

A Comparison Between Christian Doctrine And Mormon Doctrine / Check Our Church Doctrine And Join Us / Proponents Of "Touch Not My Anointed" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Candour(m): 8:18pm On Aug 29, 2014
mbaemeka: Candour,

Dr Kent's statement and Paul's are not the same. If a christian lives he lives for Christ. If a Christian dies he dies to be with Christ. We agree.

See Paul's statement on his infirmity that 'God didn't cure'

2 Corinthians 12:9 KJV
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

It was causing Paul pains but he refused to focus on it, rather he decided to be more faithful while even glorying in his infirmities. That was the same attitude Dr Kent showed.

Dr Kent said "help me be faithful in my illness" and I said God wants us faithful but not in illness for he wants us well.

Does God want us to have infirmities like the one Paul had?

Which brings me to the names you keep throwing at me namely: Kathryn khulman, Oral Roberts etc. Oral Roberts was 91 when he went to be with the Lord and I cannot remember him suffering any ailment. In fact, I saw him pray for Paul Crouch some months before he was announced to have passed (I mean Oral)

Secondly, in those months leading to when he left he on at least 3 different occasions said he would soon go. (I watched it myself on TBN) no hearsay. Let me use this opportunity to even speak a little about his life. Contrary to the lies about Mansions that satan-influenced fellows said he had he was being accomodated by Benny Hinn who also paid him a salary on monthly basis.

Oral Roberts had 2 major heart attacks that landed him in hospital. One was even a day after being prayed for on TBN (I think). It was so serious he lived with a pacemaker inserted to aid his heart. This is an open secret.

That he said he'll go 3 times in the months leading to his death at 91 tells us nothing. At that age, if he didn't say he'll go, what should we expect? That he'll keep coming for ever? All humans will go and if a 91 year old man isn't preparing and expecting to go, I wonder who should.

Also, on his financial life, do you know he raised $9m for an $8m hospital which he claimed if he doesn't build, God would call him home? Well it was a failed project eventually. Maybe he became bankrupt later that necessitated Benny Hinn's help, I can't say.

Oral Roberts also lost a son to suicide but it didn't deter his dedication to the things of God and I he is dearly beloved by me. No regrets whatsoever.

Very good attitude for a christian at the bolded. Bad things happen to even Christians but it shouldn't affect our faithfulness to God, shouldn't call for regrets and shouldn't make us that didn't get affected sneer at those who got affected as 'lacking faith' or 'walking in ignorance and darkness'.

"Those whose palm kernels are cracked for them by a benevolent spirit shouldn't forget to be humble" says an Igbo proverb. We can draw lessons from that.

So when I hear about various ailments that caused their deaths I just laugh because Satan has his media and the church of christ has hers. I don't take Satans seriously. I am that biased for the things of God.

If Kathryn khulman died due to any sickness she doesn't sink in my estimation. She was still a woman of God used by him in a mighty way. Elisha who enjoyed more miracles than his Mentor Elijah died due to sickness. (I know you may want to make reference to him). Well scripture says, at times he got angry and the anointing didn't flow until he was ministered to by a musician. It's possible he didn't cause it to flow at the point of his death. Much later a man was going to be buried and due to fear his Paulbearers tossed his body into Elishas grave. The dead man's body revived on contact with Elishas dry bones. That's how anointed Elisha was. Same goes for Kathryn and Mrs Kumuyi.

They are with the Lord and I am here to live by my own faith and you too should.

If one of those you term "faithless" and "walking in ignorance" had experienced this, would you have been as understanding? Its only a vain and cruel man that would mock a human being for succumbing to sickness and that is what you and WOF have been doing to others since. You enjoy mocking those whom life has dealt harshly with.

Its the penchant of WOF for lying and living in denial that is the issue here and that is what is being mocked: the lies. If Elisha with all the miracles God did through him could fall sick so much that he died, then who are the modern wanabees feeling like gods? Do you think Elisha never saw psalm 82 throughout his life? Khulman died in 1976 from complications resulting from open heart surgery and it showed how frail and human she and the rest of us are.

Biofun Kunuyi died of cancer in 2010 but she isn't in the sane category with khulman because never for once did she or her husband preach godhood of believers or that a Christian cannot be sick.

Bad things happen to people including Christians and Kathryn khulman et al were no exceptions.

1 Like

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by trustman: 8:27pm On Aug 29, 2014
mbaemeka:

The same Jesus that said when you PRAY say this amd that is the same Jesus that said SPEAK to the MOUNTAIN and not SPEAK to GOD about the mountain.

What we see here is you lumping everything into PRAYER and wondering why you don't receive answers to all your prayers. When God didn't tell you to ONLY pray.

John 14:14 says if you ask anything in my name, I will do it.

Who is the 'I' that will do it? It can't be Jesus himself because because he already said "the Father who dwells in him does the works" vv10. And we know the father is always on his throne because Jesus said I go to my father vv12.

So we can deduce who Jesus is referring to as the Father in Him and that is the Holy Spirit because he responds to Jesus' name vv26. Which means Jesus wasn't teaching about prayer here because in Prayer we pray to the Father in Jesus' name John 16:23.

To leave us without any doubt that he was referring to prayer in Chapter 16 he explained himself better in vv26 saying that we don't even ask him to ask the father on our behalf.

NOW with this knowledge you can understand why Peter and John didn't pray to heal the man at the beautiful gate. They did what Jesus taught them in John 14. Much later when persecution broke out they then prayed to God to cause miraculous signs to happen through them Acts 4: 29-30.

I pointed you to the fact that Jesus referred to the poor – Matt. 26:11
Paul in Romans referred to POOR SAINTS – Rom. 15:26
Galatians referred to the poor – Gal. 2:10
James also referred to the poor – James 2: 2-5

It would be unscriptural and demonic then to claim that there are or there should be NO POOR among Christians. That would contradict these portions of Scripture.

I asked you to state where in the Bible it says that poverty, disease and sickness are not from God. I await your answer.
I also await your response to the Deuteronomy 28: 21, 27, 28 , 1 Cor. 11:30, and other passages I listed. Do these show that believers can be sick? Whatever the cause?

I also asked - Which is pride - trusting in God to fulfill his word or trusting in one's self to 'use' God's word to accomplish something? I ask again, which of these is pride?

It is on record here and (repeatedly too) that I never refuted the aspect of suffering for the gospel. I am against teachings of sicknesses and poverty (that is unrelated to the gospel) as what that suffering refers to and I am not going to refrain from it as it is very scriptural.

When you attempt to see “suffering” as different from sickness and poverty it is unfortunate. Maybe again it is your (WoF) way of trying to read your meaning into words. But these two, for your information, are aspects of suffering. A sick person is suffering from some form of ailment or disease or whatever. Secondly how do you qualify or figure out when these are, to use your words, “unrelated to the gospel”?

Jesus promised them so and some scripture suggests that he may have absolved John from it (John 21:19-23). Bible History let's us know that John was placed in boiling cauldron for hours but he was unhurt and as a result was given the appellation- Saint John "the Divine" and was banished to the Island of Patmos from where he wrote the book of Revelations.

So ONLY the disciples of Jesus were to suffer? The modern day Christian is immune from it. Any direct scriptural reference?

It might interest you to know that God and not Joshua said that. Also your interpretation of the "book of the law" to refer to the law(s) of Moses is also grossly flawed. The law ALWAYS referred to ALL the books of Moses and wasn't limited to it. As more books from the prophets were given they too were added into the Law. In fact, when the apostles began teaching the gospel of Jesus they did so using the Law which was actually the Pentateuch, Prophets and the Psalms or writings.

As at the time Joshua was in the picture here, the prophets had not yet written their books. What Candour was referring to was that “the book of the law” mentioned in Joshua 1;8 consisted only those written by Moses.

Again (and by so doing Trustman can get my responses to his post) there is no separation or demarcation between the Mouth and Meditate as was used in Joshua 1:8. The Hebrew for the word meditate is Hagah and it means: silent whispering; muttering; talking; roaring. It refers to using the mouth to whisper, mutter, talk and roar the words. This is what we refer to as speaking the word. The same admonition was referred to in Jeremiah with the same word "Hagah" and in Psalms 1:1-3. If you even checked the marginal of a regular KJV they would place an alphabet aside the word meditate and refer to it as a form of talking while cross-referencing you to the book of Joshua 1:8

If meditate means 'roaring' or 'roar the words' how can you use that to explain the passage? You have again decided to pick and choose what you want? Context!!!!

The prosperity the Psalmist referred to is Prosperity, Period.

Merely stating that “the prosperity ... is prosperity' is no answer. What is the meaning of prosperity? Is it to be able to successfully do a thing or is it to have material abundance? What is the exact meaning in the context in which it was used?

There are principles that God has established on earth- laws, if you please. If anyone (Saint or sinner) is found observing them they will receive the results of such actions. One of them is giving. If a sinner has a habit of giving he will always have and if a christian is selfish he will always lack. That's what Jesus meant.

It is interesting how you interpret the scriptures. So when Jesus said God sends rain on the just and on the unjust that is taken by you to mean it is ONLY when such a person follows a ‘principle’ that God has established that he gets the ‘rain’. How did you come about this?

Mr A doesn't have money to pay his rent yet he is a tongue-talking Christian. Of course, he will not give anything to the work of the ministry because he is poor and has nothing to give. Mr B has money to pay his rent in Ikoyi but decides to live in Obalende so he can have something tangible to give towards God's work. Mr B should be commended and Mr A should meditate on the word and prosper so he can be like Mr B. That's the 'contradiction' I was trying to make and that's what I meant by "I too suffer lack from time to time because of a need or the other in God's house". That's what the early Christians did.

So you are more ‘advanced’ in spiritual things than the early Christians and can then differentiate yourself from them? Maybe you even know more than they did about the Christian way of life and that is why you are more ‘prosperous’ than them?

How could it possibly be? Sicknesses, poverty and death came as a result of the entrance of sin. If Sin as a nature is taken away then the consequences should have been too. Now if people who have their sins taken away still find themselves sinning "occasionally" does it mean the sin wasn't taken away to begin with? Whose duty is it to stay away from sin? Do you think it is possible to stay away from the acts of sin without the concomitant consequences?

Death came as a consequence of SIN. Is death taken away now – i.e. today, or are we still expecting a future victory over death?

Don't call Jesus a liar, call those who sold you the lie that Jesus was homeless liars. Jesus had a house and he lived in Capernum.

What Candour pointed to was the reference which you made. The fact that Jesus dwelt in a house does not equate to OWNING the house or houses he stayed in. So what is your point – that Jesus was so rich materially that he had a lot of real estate or what?

- You can help by teaching them that God doesn't want them poor and has made provision through his word for them to prosper.
- You can help them by giving them aides like start-up money, education, provisions, a job etc

God’s word says none of these. Quote them clearly if you can.

The healing school is not for ONLY christians. It is a means to convince Naysayers, scoffers, atheists that God's power is real and active till date. What words may not be able to do, the tangible power and demonstration of it many times does. And no, Christians should not fall sick like ANY other person for they are members of Christ's body; his flesh and his bones!! That is why I (for example, cannot be sick). Jesus took upon himself all my sicknesses and diseases and died with it on the cross. Then he woke up to a newness of life (that is not subject to sicknesses or diseases) and told me I too could walk in the same newness of life by his spirit.

So again where did Jesus ask us to set up healing schools?

As per 1 Corinthians 11:30 please study these verses you post very well before referring me to them. Do you think I don't know all these verses before posting? Ok let us examine what Paul said there:

The issue I pointed out here is that Christians were sick and God can afflict with sickness as a means of discipline. Maybe you will need to qualify your statement to mean something like ‘Good, perfect, sinless Christians don’t get sick …bla, bla, bla’

When you create threads on men and women of God and call them names you are not discerning the lord's body. You are eating of the communion unworthily and not that you are unworthy. So I am using this medium to warn you again- refrain from this evil!

It is the height of absurdity to equate creation of a thread to the issue of discerning the body. This again is how you guys in WoF TWIST the scriptures to suit what you want it to mean for you. That portion of scripture clearly showed what it addressed – the Lord’s Supper.

As per "God considers the heart more important than the words spoken" there could be no greater lie than that. Surely, what is to be spoken must first be believed in the heart first but (you will not experience the reality of it) until you speak it forth. Paul said with the heart man believes unto righteousness but you see he would never experience the SALVATION until he uses his mouth (Romans 10:9-10). That's what Paul taught us and Jesus had made references to it earlier when he said- If you believe in your heart (without doubting) and say with your mouth to the mountain- Move! it will.

See 2 Chronicles 16: 9 - "For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to give strong support to those whose heart is blameless toward him". What does the "eyes" of the Lord see here? Those who speak the word? Those who meditate by 'roaring'?
Proverbs 21:2 - "Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, but the Lord weighs the heart". What does the Lord 'weigh' here? The external and obvious or the inside?
Proverbs 23:6, 7 - "Do not eat the bread of a man who is stingy; do not desire his delicacies, for he is like one who is inwardly calculating. “Eat and drink!” he says to you, but his heart is not with you". Can the outward show be different from what is on the inside?
Isaiah 29:13 - "And the Lord said:
“Because this people draw near with their mouth
and honor me with their lips,
while their hearts are far from me,
and their fear of me is a commandment taught by men
cf Matthew 15:8 & Mark 10:6
God is clearly saying in all these that man can verbalize as much as he wants whereas the heart (the inside of him) is FAR from him.
So which is the great lie? What i stated or what you alleged? Even after you said "Surely, what is to be spoken must first be believed in the heart first ..."? If what is to be spoken MUST FIRST be believed then does that not mean that the inside is more important?

2 Likes

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Candour(m): 9:37pm On Aug 29, 2014
mbaemeka:

Yes, God didn't commission me to suffer A.K.A be in poverty, be sick etc for the Gospel. God want's me to Prosper A.K.A be in health, peace, rich etc for the gospel. That's what I have always said, maybe my latter post just elucidated my position better to you.

So what qualifiers as the "sufferings" you agree a Christian can go through?

John 16 King James Version (KJV)
1 These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be offended.

2 They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service.

3 And these things will they do unto you

Jesus had earlier on told them all that they would be killed. Then after his resurrection while talking to Peter he gives Peter a more vivid description of the way he would actually be killed. When Peter asked about John's (because Peter knew that Jesus had a special bond with John), Jesus said what is that to you if I say he will remain till I come? John, in his typical thoughtful and humble style said - "Jesus didn't say I would not die, he only said what if I say John will be here till I return?".

I have made my deductions from the afore and my logic is in order.

Of course you're free to make "your own deductions" from scripture. If we have 40,000 denominations worldwide preaching different things from the same bible, who has the right to stop you from creating yours?

Its your deduction alright howbeit, a totally false one.

As per that teaching about an "era" that's just plain rubbish. If you don't see people teleport, come back from the dead etc It's because people are not taught that these manifestations by the Spirit still happen. We have even seen some say that it ended with the apostles entirely while some say medical science has replaced it. The same Holy Spirit that was in Philip is in me, he can make me teleport if the need arises.

@the first bolded, means you need to do more.

@second bolded, hope u teleport soon.

I never said what Israel meditated on had to do with Psalms 1:1-3. I said the Psalmist taught the same thing that Joshua was taught by God years ago. Joshua had the books of Moses to meditate on, and as more books were added to the Torah the Jews had more books to meditate on.

OK.

Christ has redeemed us from receiving the blessings by conformance to the "laws". Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the Law. We can therefore take the blessings and run with it. That's what Paul taught Timothy and others.

2 Corinthians 1:18-20New International Version (NIV)

18 But as surely as God is faithful, our message to you is not “Yes” and “No.” 19 For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was preached among you by us—by me and Silas[a] and Timothy—was not “Yes” and “No,” but in him it has always been “Yes.” 20 For no matter how many promises God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ. And so through him the “Amen” is spoken by us to the glory of God

Paul taught Timothy that God's promises (ALL OF THEM) are not some "yes" and some "no". It has ALWAYS been Yes. No matter how many promises God says yes to them in "Christ". That's why we SPEAK AMEN (I claim it) to the glory of God.

That's why I say- I will never be broke in my life; I Dwell in health; I cannot be sick; I prosper in all I do etc. I am claiming the blessings and promises. I am saying AMEN to them.

And I keep wondering why these "blessings" eluded Paul and the early Christians. Did their faith fail? If Paul taught Timothy to claim the blessings of deut 28, did they both forget?

Paul and timothy were sick, Paul wasn't prosperous. Was he not saying enough amen?

Sure you are right about Paul. He gave all he had to the preaching of the gospel. LOL @ John. Not with what you have seen above ^^ concerning the promises besides, this is John the Divine; full of the Holy Spirit. If he wished it for anyone, it must have been word-based.

John wished a friend good like you most likely have done today. Nothing more, nothing less. Thank God you at least agree John was making a good wish for his friend there.

If a Christian puts his fingers into fire it will burn him. If a Christian jumps up he will come down. If a sinner gives he will receive back. What happened to your definition of prosperity being not just about finances? How will the sinner gain access to the blessings of divine health? How will he gain access to the blessings of grace-unmerited favour?

That's why we said there are some principles a sinner can stumble unto by chance and they will benefit him. There are some he can only find by studying and meditating on the scriptures.

Do you know some sinners enjoy better health than some mega mog? The healthiest longest living folks are in atheist china and japan.

Of all the blessings you tout, the only one a sinner can't access without coming to Christ is salvation. Every other material or bodily benefit that Christians brag with today is are also enjoyed by unbelievers.

Being poor for the gospel is what Barnabas did. He gave all he had into the gospel and lived like he had nothing. The Macedonians above abounded in the grace of generosity for the gospel despite the fact that they had little and experienced trials. They gave their widows mite. That's what it means to be poor for the gospels sake.

Nope. The Macedonians gave out of their deep poverty is what the bible said. it didn't say they gave and became poor. See the scripture again

2 Corinthians 8:2 KJV
How that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded unto the riches of their liberality.

First off, death is referred to as the enemy. Secondly, it might interest you again to know that not all christians will die (so just keep that in perspective when you speak about death). Thirdly, Jesus has the keys of Hell and Death now so (for us christians) he reserves the right to call us home and he doesn't do it without our consent (he is that kind).

Sure we all know there'll be some folks alive when Christ returns in the air.

@the bolded, really? Did he ask for khulman's permission before calling her home?

As per labour in child birth, I can flood this thread with testimonies of Christian women that didn't experience such. It all boils down to how much of the word of God (and his promises) we have believed in and said "amen" to. That's why the accurate teaching of the word of God is required.

A christian can speak the word concerning his health and be in health but be stingy with his money and not prosper. The word of God doesn't work for you simply because you're christian. You have to personalize it- the just shall live by HIS OWN faith.

Are you a doctor? Are you married? Have you escorted your wife or a woman to the delivery ward before?

Let a doctor explain what happens during the expansion of the birth canal preparatory to childbirth. I know a lot about embellished testimonies my friend.

The Christians that were sending relief to Judea why didn't the famine affect them too? The famine was for the whole world. Challenges come to everyone, but how you respond to them matters. After all, the same "Credit crunch" that affected Bill Gates negatively made Warren Buffet the man with the most money in the world.

We can start small but we should not remain there- regardless of life's challenges. Jesus said we are in the world but not of the "masses". What affects the "masses" should not affect us. I remember when I was in the university and rumours will be flying around that only one student got an A in a particular course. I would always say "I know I am the one" even when I had other very intelligent Christians in my class. I virtually always ended up being the one. One day, someone said I was boasting and I showed him this:

Romans 3:27King James Version (KJV)
27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith

He started talking the same way too. wink grin

Someone who is talking faith cannot be boasting- in a nutshell.

Its interesting that you used warren buffet and bill gates as your examples and neither is christian and it proved you dont have to be christian to be successful or avoid problems. Also, except you're born a prince, you'll always start small. Whatever height you then get to might even be insignificant when measured against someone else. Poverty and wealth are very relative.

What will you say was responsible for the judeaen Christians suffering the famine more? Would you attribute it to their "faithlessness" or lack of "positively confessing" the word?

As per you university days, were you an academic failure before you became born again and started confessing good grades?

Concerning that scripture you put there, I'm happy to tell you it has no bearing or use to the discussion at hand. I'll simply pretend I didn't see it

2 Likes

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by mbaemeka(m): 9:41pm On Aug 29, 2014
trustman:
I pointed you to the fact that Jesus referred to the poor – Matt. 26:11
Paul in Romans referred to POOR SAINTS – Rom. 15:26
Galatians referred to the poor – Gal. 2:10
James also referred to the poor – James 2: 2-5
It would be unscriptural and demonic then to claim that there are or there should be NO POOR among Christians. That would contradict these portions of Scripture.
I asked you to state where in the Bible it says that poverty, disease and sickness are not from God. I await your answer.
I also await your response to the Deuteronomy 28: 21, 27, 28 , 1 Cor. 11:30, and other passages I listed. Do these show that believers can be sick? Whatever the cause?
I also asked - Which is pride - trusting in God to fulfill his word or trusting in one's self to 'use' God's word to accomplish something? I ask again, which of these is pride?
When you attempt to see “suffering” as different from sickness and poverty it is unfortunate. Maybe again it is your (WoF) way of trying to read your meaning into words. But these two, for your information, are aspects of suffering. A sick person is suffering from some form of ailment or disease or whatever. Secondly how do you qualify or figure out when these are, to use your words, “unrelated to the gospel”?
So ONLY the disciples of Jesus were to suffer? The modern day Christian is immune from it. Any direct scriptural reference?
As at the time Joshua was in the picture here, the prophets had not yet written their books. What Candour was referring to was that “the book of the law” mentioned in Joshua 1;8 consisted only those written by Moses.
If meditate means 'roaring' or 'roar the words' how can you use that to explain the passage? You have again decided to pick and choose what you want? Context!!!!
Merely stating that “the prosperity ... is prosperity' is no answer. What is the meaning of prosperity? Is it to be able to successfully do a thing or is it to have material abundance? What is the exact meaning in the context in which it was used?
It is interesting how you interpret the scriptures. So when Jesus said God sends rain on the just and on the unjust that is taken by you to mean it is ONLY when such a person follows a ‘principle’ that God has established that he gets the ‘rain’. How did you come about this?
So you are more ‘advanced’ in spiritual things than the early Christians and can then differentiate yourself from them? Maybe you even know more than they did about the Christian way of life and that is why you are more ‘prosperous’ than them?
Death came as a consequence of SIN. Is death taken away now – i.e. today, or are we still expecting a future victory over death?
What Candour pointed to was the reference which you made. The fact that Jesus dwelt in a house does not equate to OWNING the house or houses he stayed in. So what is your point – that Jesus was so rich materially that he had a lot of real estate or what?
God’s word says none of these. Quote them clearly if you can.
So again where did Jesus ask us to set up healing schools?
The issue I pointed out here is that Christians were sick and God can afflict with sickness as a means of discipline. Maybe you will need to qualify your statement to mean something like ‘Good, perfect, sinless Christians don’t get sick …bla, bla, bla’
It is the height of absurdity to equate creation of a thread to the issue of discerning the body. This again is how you guys in WoF TWIST the scriptures to suit what you want it to mean for you. That portion of scripture clearly showed what it addressed – the Lord’s Supper.
See 2 Chronicles 16: 9 - "For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to give strong support to those whose heart is blameless toward him". What does the "eyes" of the Lord see here? Those who speak the word? Those who meditate by 'roaring'?
Proverbs 21:2 - "Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, but the Lord weighs the heart". What does the Lord 'weigh' here? The external and obvious or the inside?
Proverbs 23:6, 7 - "Do not eat the bread of a man who is stingy; do not desire his delicacies, for he is like one who is inwardly calculating. “Eat and drink!” he says to you, but his heart is not with you". Can the outward show be different from what is on the inside?
Isaiah 29:13 - "And the Lord said:
“Because this people draw near with their mouth
and honor me with their lips,
while their hearts are far from me,
and their fear of me is a commandment taught by men
cf Matthew 15:8 & Mark 10:6
God is clearly saying in all these that man can verbalize as much as he wants whereas the heart (the inside of him) is FAR from him.
So which is the great lie? What i stated or what you alleged? Even after you said "Surely, what is to be spoken must first be believed in the heart first ..."? If what is to be spoken MUST FIRST be believed then does that not mean that the inside is more important?

I mean you no offence man but this is a long pile of nonsense. You are taking me back to things I have already explained in detail. Please refer to my posts to Candour for reference and take all the corrections where necessary.

There's nothing you have said here that I have not responded to even the one's that I flat out off point. I don't think you people know the word as much as you think you do or probably you don't understand it as much. So I find it laughable that you have now taken the position as detectives in the house of God.

If I see anything worth responding to I will. Cheers.
Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by trustman: 9:46pm On Aug 29, 2014
mbaemeka:

I mean you no offence man but this is a long pile of nonsense. You are taking me back to things I have already explained in detail. Please refer to my posts to Candour for reference and take all the corrections where necessary.

There's nothing you have said here that I have not responded to even the one's that I flat out off point. I don't think you people know the word as much as you think you do or probably you don't understand it as much. So I find it laughable that you have now taken the position as detectives in the house of God.

If I see anything worth responding to I will. Cheers.

I take this as your usual way of evading issues.
The thread goes on for those willing to learn.
Cheers.

3 Likes

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by mbaemeka(m): 10:08pm On Aug 29, 2014
Candour:

See Paul's statement on his infirmity that 'God didn't cure'

2 Corinthians 12:9 KJV
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

It was causing Paul pains but he refused to focus on it, rather he decided to be more faithful while even glorying in his infirmities. That was the same attitude Dr Kent showed.

Does God want us to have infirmities like the one Paul had?

Oral Roberts had 2 major heart attacks that landed him in hospital. One was even a day after being prayed for on TBN (I think). It was so serious he lived with a pacemaker inserted to aid his heart. This is an open secret.

That he said he'll go 3 times in the months leading to his death at 91 tells us nothing. At that age, if he didn't say he'll go, what should we expect? That he'll keep coming for ever? All humans will go and if a 91 year old man isn't preparing and expecting to go, I wonder who should.

Also, on his financial life, do you know he raised $9m for an $8m hospital which he claimed if he doesn't build, God would call him home? Well it was a failed project eventually. Maybe he became bankrupt later that necessitated Benny Hinn's help, I can't say.

Very good attitude for a christian at the bolded. Bad things happen to even Christians but it shouldn't affect our faithfulness to God, shouldn't call for regrets and shouldn't make us that didn't get affected sneer at those who got affected as 'lacking faith' or 'walking in ignorance and darkness'.

"Those whose palm kernels are cracked for them by a benevolent spirit shouldn't forget to be humble" says an Igbo proverb. We can draw lessons from that.

If one of those you term "faithless" and "walking in ignorance" had experienced this, would you have been as understanding? Its only a vain and cruel man that would mock a human being for succumbing to sickness and that is what you and WOF have been doing to others since. You enjoy mocking those whom life has dealt harshly with.

Its the penchant of WOF for lying and living in denial that is the issue here and that is what is being mocked: the lies. If Elisha with all the miracles God did through him could fall sick so much that he died, then who are the modern wanabees feeling like gods? Do you think Elisha never saw psalm 82 throughout his life? Khulman died in 1976 from complications resulting from open heart surgery and it showed how frail and human she and the rest of us are.

Biofun Kunuyi died of cancer in 2010 but she isn't in the sane category with khulman because never for once did she or her husband preach godhood of believers or that a Christian cannot be sick.

Bad things happen to people including Christians and Kathryn khulman et al were no exceptions.

Like I said before alot of words and scriptures are being tossed around with little understanding. There are some basic things I would have thought you people that know more the Pastors that you libel would have known and if I start again you will meet me at some point and claim that's what you were referring to or agree with.

To help you save face again I would ask you to go and Learn the 3 different words that some translators referred to as infirmities, afflictions and sicknesses. They do not all mean the diseases. For example in the account of Paul you referred to in Corinthians, he was not referring to any ailment or a disease but you would not know because you have not studied it and when I show it to you, you will turn around and act like you always did.

As per all the mixtures of lies and misrepresentations about Oral Roberts, I leave you to believe what you want o jare. You will not travel to America to see the doctors report but if another person talks about going to Tanzania you would not ask him for doctors report instead you would call him a liar.

I am getting tired of the same old rehashed nonsense that pride would not let you admit to. Imagine seeing the 2 Corinthians 1:18-20 account by Paul concerning God's blessings and promises in Christ and then in turn asking if Paul didn't know about it when didn't "prosper" to you Or asking me about Timothy getting sick?

I believe I have put enough truth here that will help anyone that is still in doubt and would leave the ignorant and egomaniacal naysayers in the dark. You needed to see me laughing here watching all of you fumble scriptures and try to spin it like you were in the know all along.

I can count the amount of people that actually know scriptures in the letter and spirit on one hand (on NL) and none of them is in your camp. The quantity of ignorance here is frightening.

This is my last post on this thread. Let me do like bro Image123 and let you have the last word.

Cheers.
Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Candour(m): 10:08pm On Aug 29, 2014
mbaemeka:

Yes you are right that Eliphaz and not Job made the statements in Job 5. And NO, a thousand times NO! Not everything Eliphaz said was wrong. Same way not all Job said was correct e.g cursing the day he was born etc. God corrected not just Eliphaz and the rest he also corrected Job. What Eliphaz said in (Job 5:19,22) for example, were correct. We know the things that he said that were wrong because God said so. Eliphaz believed that God was punishing Job for not doing enough good, and Bildad thought Job was just whining because he wanted His wealth back. On the other hand, by justifying himself, Job was condemning God as being unjust. Elihu on the other hand was correct. In chapter 34 he confirmed the Lord’s inability to do wrong or pervert justice.

Then in chapter 38 when God Himself joined the conversation, we see that Job is neither given a bill of indictment nor a verdict of innocence, but his understanding of God was certainly brought into question. We can see all that.

How do you know which parts of their long speeches were acceptable to God and which were not? If God was displeased with their treatises, then its totally useless to teach Christian doctrine.

Job's 3 friends who spoke nonsense were Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite. The 4th speaker was Elihu and God didn't have a single problem with him.

Job said few wrong things and God pointed them out. For those 3, only a sacrifice could atone for all their misspeaking. They were too numerous.

The question I asked again is how did Job show his "implicit faith" in God? How didn't he waver? Is it similar to Abraham in Romans 4:18-23? Scripture too said Abraham didn't waiver and if Job did same he must have been confessing God's words rightly and giving thanks like Abraham did.

I don't think it should be difficult to give us the scripture that shows Job exuding faith that God would restore double fold blessing to him. If indeed such scriptures exist.
Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Candour(m): 10:35pm On Aug 29, 2014
mbaemeka:

Like I said before alot of words and scriptures are being tossed around with little understanding. There are some basic things I would have thought you people that know more the Pastors that you libel would have known and if I start again you will meet me at some point and claim that's what you were referring to or agree with.

I didn't libel any pastor. I simply pointed out pastors that suffered and died from ill health.

To help you save face again I would ask you to go and Learn the 3 different words that some translators referred to as infirmities, afflictions and sicknesses. They do not all mean the diseases. For example in the account of Paul you referred to in Corinthians, he was not referring to any ailment or a disease but you would not know because you have not studied it and when I show it to you, you will turn around and act like you always did.

Quit the lies. Its not in your character to help anybody save face. You simply are overwhelmed by the truth.

Does this make you know Paul was sick?

Galatians 4:13-14 KJV
Ye know how through infirmity of the flesh I preached the gospel unto you at the first. [14] And my temptation which was in my flesh ye despised not, nor rejected; but received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus.

Keep trying to lie for Paul like he commissioned you to

As per all the mixtures of lies and misrepresentations about Oral Roberts, I leave you to believe what you want o jare. You will not travel to America to see the doctors report but if another person talks about going to Tanzania you would not ask him for doctors report instead you would call him a liar.

See one news report about the oral Roberts episode. Its a story Roberts family wouldn't deny.

http://amarillo.com/stories/1999/03/02/usn_LO0730.001.shtml

Keep living in denial. I'm even surprised you didn't question khulman's episode. Also, stop the 'Tanzanian ebola cure' lie, its too childish.

I am getting tired of the same old rehashed nonsense that pride would not let you admit to. Imagine seeing the 2 Corinthians 1:18-20 account by Paul concerning God's blessings and promises in Christ and then in turn asking if Paul didn't know about it when didn't "prosper" to you Or asking me about Timothy getting sick?

Why won't you get tired? Defending lies is always very tiring. So that scripture tells you Paul was reciting the promises in deut 28? If he was, why didn't he experience it?

I believe I have put enough truth here that will help anyone that is still in doubt and would leave the ignorant and egomaniacal naysayers in the dark. You needed to see me laughing here watching all of you fumble scriptures and try to spin it like you were in the know all along.

Congrats on your laughter party. You know very little about what truth is. The only thing you have in abundance are ad hominems and empty boastings.

I can count the amount of people that actually know scriptures in the letter and spirit on one hand (on NL) and none of them is in your camp. The quantity of ignorance here is frightening.

That means you're the holy spirit's auditor who helps him check up on word knowledge. Imagine you bringing Rom 3:27 into the discussion. So much for scriptural knowledge.

This is my last post on this thread. Let me do like bro Image123 and let you have the last word.

Cheers.

You're not letting me have the last word. You're simply succumbing to truth.

1 Like

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Candour(m): 10:42pm On Aug 29, 2014
mbaemeka:

I love how we started from "Jesus had no roof over his head" to "Foxes have holes. . " to "My younger brother also 'houses' his friends in my house. It doesn't make him a house owner. He rents a house at his university. That still doesn't make him a house owner.

If you agree Jesus didn't own 'a big fancy mansion' like some pastors claim, then we have no reason to argue on this issue. Even the mad man he cured had a 'place' he abode.

If this is the line you're taking, then there probably was no homeless person in Israel as at this time and we shouldn't be having this argument. If every 25 year old had a place of his to stay, then what's so special about Jesus having a place to house 2 others who also had their own place?"

And I am charged with this:

Ha ha ha ha ha! There's nothing more to say.

I too love how I started.

Oya, Let me laugh with you

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Image123(m): 11:18pm On Aug 29, 2014
Gnoni, i've seen your posts to me (goes for drumb and Nora too) as regards Dr Lake. i'm sorry i could only skim through them saving me the temptation to waste time and resources rebutting them. Don't worry drumb, i'll still read the Nora pdf, already downloaded it sef, i guess that is what Nora pasted abi?
It's not my style to discuss people in absentia, though when i really wanted you guys to relate your WOF talks to contemporary men around us, you all strangely shied away, preferring to discuss relics and largely unknown people to the audience.
On Lake, i told someone already, i've heard him myself and believe him above what the critics have to say. One thing you'll need to learn is that even the best men have 'formidable' critics and further links against them. From Jesus to Spurgeon to Kumuyi to Wigglesworth. Take this link for instance against Paul, i would not even advice you to read it, the whole world lies in wickedness. https://www.nairaland.com/1874144/real-apostle-paul
Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Image123(m): 11:37pm On Aug 29, 2014
DrummaBoy:

I suspected this sort of statement will come up that's why I provided you a "Fashola train" to ride with. Here:

1. Did Jesus heal people who were anticipating healing?
2. Did Jesus heal more than one person through a method?
3. Is Jesus present where people are gathered in His name?

Simple yes or no would reduce the beating of the bush.
Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by BabaGnoni: 11:41pm On Aug 29, 2014
Image123: Gnoni, i've seen your posts to me (goes for drumb and Nora too) as regards Dr Lake.

i'm sorry i could only skim through them saving me the temptation to waste time and resources rebutting them.

Don't worry drumb, i'll still read the Nora pdf, already downloaded it sef, i guess that is what Nora pasted abi?

It's not my style to discuss people in absentia, though when i really wanted you guys to relate your WOF talks to contemporary men around us, you all strangely shied away, preferring to discuss relics and largely unknown people to the audience.

On Lake, i told someone already, i've heard him myself and believe him above what the critics have to say.
One thing you'll need to learn is that even the best men have 'formidable' critics and further links against them. From Jesus to Spurgeon to Kumuyi to Wigglesworth. Take this link for instance against Paul, i would not even advice you to read it, the whole world lies in wickedness. https://www.nairaland.com/1874144/real-apostle-paul

You're doing yourself a great disservice skimming through that FYI

This thread is not about personalities but more of "shine your eyes welu welu" if not its "last chance saloon" situation then.

It isn't really about the contemporary men around us but is more about how they came about their teachings, practices, doctrine (i.e. what or where is the origin)
The "WOF talks" already is showing where and how the contemporary men around us got influenced or indoctrinated by "relics and largely unknown people"

It is from the "relics and largely unknown people" that some contemporary men around us learned:
- to build universities and become chancellors of such universities
- to set up and practice healing rooms or schools
- to wear white suits albeit the international and our own local one don't anymore
- to pursue acquiring private jets
- to be vainglory and puffed up in biggest/largest building(s) in the world
- to merchandise, personalise etc the Gospel
- to acquire bodyguards and/or security personnel
- to etc etc

3 Likes

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by mbaemeka(m): 12:08am On Aug 30, 2014
Candour:

Quit the lies. Its not in your character to help anybody save face. You simply are overwhelmed by the truth.

Does this make you know Paul was sick?

Galatians 4:13-14 KJV
Ye know how through infirmity of the flesh I preached the gospel unto you at the first. [14] And my temptation which was in my flesh ye despised not, nor rejected; but received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus.

Keep trying to lie for Paul like he commissioned you to

I wanted to ignore this, but the prospect of showing you how little you know was too tempting.

The word for "Infirmities of the flesh" as used here in Galatians 4, 2 Corinthians 11:30 and 2 Corinthians 12:10 is Astheneia. It means a weakness; want of strength; weakness of human nature. It was NEVER (I stress the NEVER) translated or referred to as a sickness or a disease in scripture. It was the same word used in Romans 8: 26. Tell us how you can fix sickness into that verse now let us see you try.

Romans 8:26King James Version (KJV)
26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities sicknesses grin: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

We can tell so easily by reading the verses in Corinthians to know what Paul referred to as the things that caused the Infirmities of his body: reproaches, persecutions, distresses, trials etc. Paul is saying he was hungry, beaten, flogged, imprisoned and as such he was WEAK. In fact, vv12 of 2 Corinthians 12 talks about him still performing signs, wonders, mighty deeds etc while still WEAK. Abi don't you think he would have healed himself if he was sick?

And I know you will come back with "thorn in the flesh" by the messenger of satan. It is a figure of speech like "pain in the neck". Paul was saying Satan was responsible for all the persecutions, weaknesses, beatings etc. he faced and God told him that his strength will be made perfect by the persecutions. So Paul began to boast about it!

To help you since you would not study and will be employing underhand tactics to make me teach you, the word for sickness is Astheneo and was used 17 times in scripture to refer to it (few times to refer to physical break down due to overwork). This was the word used for Epaphroditus' case. Thank God Paul told us what caused in Philippians 3:30- for the work of Christ he was nigh unto death. Which simply means he overworked himself into getting sick and this was the same word used for Trophimus in 2 Timothy 4:20.

So Paul was not sick neither was he diseased. Trophimus and Epaphroditus were and we know why.

Please use another example to live in unbelief or save face and learn behind the scene so that you won't fall your hand on your thread.

I am really succumbing to your "truths". Trust me, I can do this to virtually everything you have said including telling us to suffer like Paul and the apostles but stay without the power for God didn't give us that one.

Ha ha ha ha ha!
Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by BabaGnoni: 12:20am On Aug 30, 2014

1 Like

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by trustman: 12:52am On Aug 30, 2014
[size=16pt]Astheneia[/size]

The New Strong's Expanded Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible, 2010 by Thomas Nelson Publishers:

feebleness (of body or mind); by impl. malady; mor. frailty - infirmity, weakness, disease, sickness.
The word means lit., "lacking strength, weakness, infirmity" and is translated (1) "infirmities" in Mt 8:17; it most used rendering; (2) "disease" in Acts 28:9; (3) "sickness" in Jn 11:4 and (4) "weakness" in 1 Cor 2:3, 15:43; 2 Cor 12:9 ......

2 Likes

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by trustman: 12:55am On Aug 30, 2014
[size=14pt]Simple help to interpreting the Bible[/size]

A most important rule of Bible study is to take into account the context.
This can never be over stressed. Look at each verse in the light of the verses that surround it. Take a holistic view of the context of the book or chapter – What is the entire book or portion trying to communicate? (The questions that used to used in school exams can come in handy – who said what, to whom, where, when , how, why? etc). Also, consider the context of the whole Bible (i.e. what do other parts of the Bible have to say about this issue). Sometimes it is line upon line, precept upon precept that best help to bring out the complete picture of a matter in the Bible.

Literal Interpretation - interpret the Bible as it is stated unless the Bible itself gives you reason to take on a figurative interpretation. Differences in interpretation of what a verse in the Bible means by two Christians can more than anything be because one (or both) of them has started to interpret the Bible figuratively. There is of course, the need to allow for figures of speech.

Common Sense Meaning
- consider the common sense meaning of a passage. Granted that there are deep matters covered in the Bible, but the inferences or deduction we reach from doing a good study of the Bible should not be different than what the Bible plainly says.

Interpret from known to the unknown - where you have say two passages dealing with the same issue and the meaning of one is clear to you but that of the second seem obscure start from the clear passage to try and understand the other rather seek to use the obscure one to interpret the clear one.

Look out for likes and opposites
- relate things that are alike and contrast things that are different.

Other principles of interpretation exist. For example parables illustrate spiritual truths, so the thing to interpret them is not to try to assign meanings to every aspect and item in a parable but to seek out the core spiritual truth being communicated.

Tools such as concordance, study books, expository dictionaries, Bible handbooks, etc are also there for use.

Of course much more advanced tools exist in interpreting the Bible. That is where pastors come in, spending time to dig out through the help of the Holy Spirit what God seeks to communicate to his people from his Word.
These few listed points should act as basics in daily study of the Bible by most people.

2 Likes

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Candour(m): 7:22am On Aug 30, 2014
mbaemeka:

I wanted to ignore this, but the prospect of showing you how little you know was too tempting.

The word for "Infirmities of the flesh" as used here in Galatians 4, 2 Corinthians 11:30 and 2 Corinthians 12:10 is Astheneia. It means a weakness; want of strength; weakness of human nature. It was NEVER (I stress the NEVER) translated or referred to as a sickness or a disease in scripture. It was the same word used in Romans 8: 26. Tell us how you can fix sickness into that verse now let us see you try.

26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities sicknesses grin: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

We can tell so easily by reading the verses in Corinthians to know what Paul referred to as the things that caused the Infirmities of his body: reproaches, persecutions, distresses, trials etc. Paul is saying he was hungry, beaten, flogged, imprisoned and as such he was WEAK. In fact, vv12 of 2 Corinthians 12 talks about him still performing signs, wonders, mighty deeds etc while still WEAK. Abi don't you think he would have healed himself if he was sick?

And I know you will come back with "thorn in the flesh" by the messenger of satan. It is a figure of speech like "pain in the neck". Paul was saying Satan was responsible for all the persecutions, weaknesses, beatings etc. he faced and God told him that his strength will be made perfect by the persecutions. So Paul began to boast about it!

To help you since you would not study and will be employing underhand tactics to make me teach you, the word for sickness is Astheneo and was used 17 times in scripture to refer to it (few times to refer to physical break down due to overwork). This was the word used for Epaphroditus' case. Thank God Paul told us what caused in Philippians 3:30- for the work of Christ he was nigh unto death. Which simply means he overworked himself into getting sick and this was the same word used for Trophimus in 2 Timothy 4:20.

So Paul was not sick neither was he diseased. Trophimus and Epaphroditus were and we know why.

Please use another example to live in unbelief or save face and learn behind the scene so that you won't fall your hand on your thread.

I am really succumbing to your "truths". Trust me, I can do this to virtually everything you have said including telling us to suffer like Paul and the apostles but stay without the power for God didn't give us that one.

Ha ha ha ha ha!

@the bolded, i knew you are very vainglorious but You're also a liar. If you're not, tell us what was used in 1Tim 5:23 to describe Timothy's "infirmities"? Astheneia or Astheneo? Tell us and get shamed.

See the definition for "astheneia"

Strong's Concordance
astheneia: weakness, frailty
Original Word: ἀσθένεια, ας, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: astheneia
Phonetic Spelling: (as-then'-i-ah)
Short Definition: want of strength, weakness, illness
Definition: want of strength, weakness, illness, suffering, calamity, frailty.

See definition for "astheneo"

Strong's #770: astheneo (pronounced as-then-eh'-o)

from 772; to be feeble (in any sense):--be diseased, impotent folk (man), (be) sick, (be, be made) weak.

If you were honest, you'd have known and admited that both can be used interchangeably and were indeed used interchangeably in scripture.

E.g astheneia for infirmity in John 5:5, 1Tim 5:23, diseases in Acts 28:9 and sickness in John 11:4 and astheneo for weak in 1Cor 8:12 and 2Cor 11:21

See the verse below. The narration there clearly shows Paul meant a bodily condition.

Galatians 4:13 KJV
Ye know how through infirmity of the flesh I preached the gospel unto you at the first.

Paul said he preached to them through the infirmity that was in his flesh. See the next verse. What would make a man loathsome, likely to be rejected and despised? Physical weakness or a sickness that could be revolting e.g a smelly sore or like the woman with the issue of blood?

Galatians 4:14 KJV
And my temptation which was in my flesh ye despised not, nor rejected; but received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus.

The floggings, beatings, hunger and imprisonment that Paul received, couldnt have made him "so weak" to the point of possibly being despised and rejected by the Galatians unless you're telling us he got an infection from his injuries and I don't need to tell you that an infection is a sickness. In fact a very serious disease.

See when Paul was stoned, so badly that the people believed they had killed him

Acts 14:19-20 KJV
And there came thither certain Jews from Antioch and Iconium, who persuaded the people, and, having stoned Paul, drew him out of the city, supposing he had been dead. [20] Howbeit, as the disciples stood round about him, he rose up, and came into the city: and the next day he departed with Barnabas to Derbe.

Yet the believers stood by him, not despising or rejecting his battered body.

If you're a honest person, you dont need Greek studies to understand these scriptures because any christian can be sick including you.

5 Likes

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by DrummaBoy(m): 10:29am On Aug 30, 2014
Image123:

Therefore Jesus operated a healing school. abi?

I am not the one beating around the bush, you are. I provided the interaction between us both when it seem you were denying your statement where you admitted that Jesus operated a healing school.

Now that the statement is sounding heretical to you too, you want to deny it. There is no need to answer your question; I won't because it would only blur the issues being discussed. If you are MAN enough, stand by your words.

Image123, you are the one to be held most culpable of all who oppose our discussion here. It is apparent that you know what scriptures say but bc you wish to perpetuate a tradition that is benefitting a small clique, men of God, you choose to oppose clear argument that reveal the errors of these men.

Someone like mbaemeka can be excused but not you.

Or why else do you wish to deny the fact that you admitted that Jesus operated a healing school? Why are you beating around the bush? You need not answer. Its obvious to all.

Image123: Image123 said that Jesus operated healing schools? woah,
DrummaBoy:
I suspected this sort of statement will come up that's why I provided you a "Fashola train" to ride with. Here:
DrummaBoy:
2. The question was whether Christ operated healing "schools" not whether healing can occur though believers or not.
Image123:
The answer was that Jesus and the apostles gathered people to heal them. That is what a healing school supposedly does.
DrummaBoy:
Another question please: Can we authoritatively say that Jesus ever "gathered people to heal them?" Can we find any biblical account for this? Are you saying Jesus gathered people exclusively for healing exercises like these WOF chaps do in their healing schools?
This is an all in one question.
Image123:
Yes

BabaGnoni:

Good advice.
Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by shdemidemi(m): 10:48am On Aug 30, 2014
Now the serpent image123 was more subtil than any beast of the field grin

3 Likes

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Image123(m): 11:44am On Aug 30, 2014
BabaGnoni:

You're doing yourself a great disservice skimming through that FYI

This thread is not about personalities but more of "shine your eyes welu welu" if not its "last chance saloon" situation then.

It isn't really about the contemporary men around us but is more about how they came about their teachings, practices, doctrine (i.e. what or where is the origin)
The "WOF talks" already is showing where and how the contemporary men around us got influenced or indoctrinated by "relics and largely unknown people"

It is from the "relics and largely unknown people" that some contemporary men around us learned:
- to build universities and become chancellors of such universities
- to set up and practice healing rooms or schools
- to wear white suits albeit the international and our own local one don't anymore
- to pursue acquiring private jets
- to be vainglory and puffed up in biggest/largest building(s) in the world
- to merchandise, personalise etc the Gospel
- to acquire bodyguards and/or security personnel
- to etc etc

Doing myself a great disservice how exactly? i'm saved and God loves me and takes care of me (to be simple and brief). Explain what exactly i gain by thinking different of Dr Lake? i don't get how you remain comfortable saying that the thread is not about personalities while ironically i've notseen another thread that so deeply digs up dirt on personalities with glee. For instance, it's yet to be shown how G Lake started healing school as supposed only for the article posted to suggest that John Dowie had one already. Not sweeping under the carpet the fact that the bible records events and principles similar to what is obtainable in a healing school.
Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by nora544: 11:50am On Aug 30, 2014
Image123:

Doing myself a great disservice how exactly? i'm saved and God loves me and takes care of me (to be simple and brief). Explain what exactly i gain by thinking different of Dr Lake? i don't get how you remain comfortable saying that the thread is not about personalities while ironically i've notseen another thread that so deeply digs up dirt on personalities with glee. For instance, it's yet to be shown how G Lake started healing school as supposed only for the article posted to suggest that John Dowie had one already. Not sweeping under the carpet the fact that the bible records events and principles similar to what is obtainable in a healing school.

Don't say Dr. Lake he was never and I say never a doctor ha has no degree, he was never at an University he was a big liar and that PDF is from an University of south africa and and you will see that I have right!
Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Image123(m): 12:29pm On Aug 30, 2014
DrummaBoy:

Therefore Jesus operated a healing school. abi?

I am not the one beating around the bush, you are. I provided the interaction between us both when it seem you were denying your statement where you admitted that Jesus operated a healing school.

Now that the statement is sounding heretical to you too, you want to deny it. There is no need to answer your question; I won't because it would only blur the issues being discussed. If you are MAN enough, stand by your words.

Image123, you are the one to be held most culpable of all who oppose our discussion here. It is apparent that you know what scriptures say but bc you wish to perpetuate a tradition that is benefitting a small clique, men of God, you choose to oppose clear argument that reveal the errors of these men.

Someone like mbaemeka can be excused but not you.

Or why else do you wish to deny the fact that you admitted that Jesus operated a healing school? Why are you beating around the bush? You need not answer. Its obvious to all.

Good advice.

You WON'T answer the questions because it would blur the issues? That's a most ludicrous thought. Your answers to the questions would rubbish your talk about healing rooms and you don't want that. You don't want the truth, you would rather the praise of men that you're leading to nowhere important. Kindly provide the post where i said that Jesus operated a healing school. You can bold it, colour it etc, you know how to do that well na. Go ahead. i've clearly and repeatedly said there is nothing wrong with a healing school/room/university/college or whatever name. i was also quick to say that a bad practice/operation is a bad practice/operation whether it is found in a church service, crusade, evangelical outreach, cell fellowship, room, school, streets wherever. If that is too deep or complicated for you to comprehend, simply take your time and prayerfully ruminate on it for a while. All the effort to catch me at my words would land you and your conscience in further trouble instead. There is nothing heretical about having a healing school. The principles of a healing school are in the bible.
Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Image123(m): 12:39pm On Aug 30, 2014
nora544:

Don't say Dr. Lake he was never and I say never a doctor ha has no degree, he was never at an University he was a big liar and that PDF is from an University of south africa and and you will see that I have right!

One can be called Dr. without a degree. It's another thing to practice illegally or without license. If that is what offends you, i'll stop for you, don't worry, lol. People are nicknamed prof, chief, chairman, doc. Like some say Dr. Jesus. Lake did more for the sick around him than many medical doctors and academic doctors of his time.
Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Image123(m): 12:59pm On Aug 30, 2014
Image123:

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by nora544: 1:29pm On Aug 30, 2014
Image123:

One can be called Dr. without a degree. It's another thing to practice illegally or without license. If that is what offends you, i'll stop for you, don't worry, lol. People are nicknamed prof, chief, chairman, doc. Like some say Dr. Jesus. Lake did more for the sick around him than many medical doctors and academic doctors of his time.

You are so good in twisting a wrong in a right.

Sorry I never see Dr. Jesus that comes from you.

Dr. is not a nickname it is that you a have a degree you could be a medicine doctor or you get this degree after your master degree and that is Dr. or the new is now PHD.

I know you can buy a PHD degree without that you study at an University.

Lake heal never and I say to you never any person, why you dont read this what we write about this fake man who belong to the WOF.

1 Like

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by mbaemeka(m): 2:05pm On Aug 30, 2014
trustman: [size=16pt]Astheneia[/size]

The New Strong's Expanded Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible, 2010 by Thomas Nelson Publishers:

feebleness (of body or mind); by impl. malady; mor. frailty - infirmity, weakness, disease, sickness.
The word means lit., "lacking strength, weakness, infirmity" and is translated (1) "infirmities" in Mt 8:17; it most used rendering; (2) "disease" in Acts 28:9; (3) "sickness" in Jn 11:4 and (4) "weakness" in 1 Cor 2:3, 15:43; 2 Cor 12:9 ......

Matthew 8:17King James Version (KJV)
17 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our a infirmities, and bare our b sicknesses

Every infirmity is not a disease or sickness but all these are infirmities. So you can be allowed to call a sickness an infirmity but you are NEVER allowed to call all infirmities sicknesses or diseases.

The word astheneia is used for (a)infirmities here while the other word (b)sickness is exactly sickness and means only physical sickness. Paul always used the word astheneia for himself while he used astheneo in referring to Epaphroditus and Trophimus. We cannot then interchangeably give Paul a "sickness" when it suits our unbelief and then revert it to weakness when it doesn't. That's poorly dividing or translating the word of truth. Besides, in Paul's personal writings i.e Corinthians 1&2 and Galatians he used astheneia. So we must relate the Corinthians account to the Galatians and this is what we would come up with: beatings, stonings, floggings, hunger etc. Any weakness of mind or ability is still an infirmity. If I say "I wanted to pray but I was too tired because I worked all day" that's an example of me expressing an infirmity of the body- The body's weakness to pray because of [overwork] in this case.

Acts 28:8-9King James Version (KJV)
8 And it came to pass, that the father of Publius lay sick of a fever and of a bloody flux: to whom Paul entered in, and prayed, and laid his hands on him, and healed him.

9 So when this was done, others also, which had diseases in the island, came, and were healed:

From vv8 Publius had "puretos" rightly translated "fever" and dusenteria (dysentry)hence the word "sick" there and Paul healed him. So other "Infirmed" people came to meet him and he healed them. The other Infirmed people could be a mixture of all sorts of infirmities (Sicknesses, diseases, weaknesses) but following vv8 which was a dis-ease if you please, the translators had to use disease. Remember it was Luke that wrote this and not Paul. Paul would have used "astheneo".

John 11:3-4King James Version (KJV)
3 Therefore his sisters sent unto him, saying, Lord, behold, he whom thou lovest is sick.

4 When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby.

In John 11:4 Lazarus' sisters sent a message to Jesus that Lazarus was weakening or fast sinking. How do I know? because in vv.1 the word for sick as used there was "astheneo". Jesus in vv4 said the "astheneia" will not lead to death. Which can be translated to mean the fact that he is getting weaker doesn't mean he would die. That's why the disciples didn't fret initially and even said if he sleeps he will get well oblivious of the fact that Lazarus was already dead and Jesus knew.

Besides John's disciple(s) wrote the account and I have rightly translated it.

If you have more examples we can look at it.
Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by mbaemeka(m): 2:57pm On Aug 30, 2014
Candour:

@the bolded, i knew you are very vainglorious but You're also a liar. If you're not, tell us what was used in 1Tim 5:23 to describe Timothy's "infirmities"? Astheneia or Astheneo? Tell us and get shamed.

1 Timothy 5:23King James Version (KJV)
23 Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

The word infirmities as used here is astheneia. Like I said to trustman Infirmties encompasses sicknesses and diseases but diseases and sicknesses do not encompass infirmities. And astheneia was used by Paul only to describe a weakness and not a disease or sickness. When Paul talked about sicknesses he used astheneo. Therefore in this case Paul said use a little wine to strengthen your oftenly weak stomach. I know some translators translated the word to mean illnesses, but they would be wrong because Paul was so articulate he knew when to use words like astheneo, astheneia and even asthenes. If he knew to use astheneo for Trophimus then he knew to use astheneia for Timothy.

If you were honest, you'd have known and admited that both can be used interchangeably and were indeed used interchangeably in scripture.

E.g astheneia for infirmity in John 5:5, 1Tim 5:23, diseases in Acts 28:9 and sickness in John 11:4 and astheneo for weak in 1Cor 8:12 and 2Cor 11:21

I am honest with myself and for those words to be used interchangeably then there should be some consistency in usage even as we consider the user. In John 5:5 the (man was weak in his legs- he could not walk; used to describe impotency; not used by Paul). 1 Corinthians 8:12 the word used was asthenes and it meant weak conscience. In 2 Corinthians 11:21, asthenekanem was used (only once all scripture) by the very articulate Paul to refer to a lack of confidence (mental weakness). Astheneia was used more than 15times to refer to anything but sickness and disease while Astheneo was used 17times to refer to sickness and not weakness.

If only we would learn to understand the writer.

Galatians 4:13 KJV
Ye know how through infirmity of the flesh I preached the gospel unto you at the first.

Paul said he preached to them through the infirmity that was in his flesh. See the next verse. What would make a man loathsome, likely to be rejected and despised? Physical weakness or a [s]sickness that could be revolting e.g a smelly sore or like the woman with the issue of blood[/s]?

Paul said infirmity of the flesh/body and not infirmity in the body/flesh. He meant he was weak, beaten, flogged badly with scars and marks all over his body etc. yet the Galatians didn't feel ashamed of him. They accepted his message.

Galatians 4:14 KJV
And my temptation which was in my flesh ye despised not, nor rejected; but received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus.

The floggings, beatings, hunger and imprisonment that Paul received, couldnt have made him "so weak" to the [s]point of possibly being despised and rejected by the Galatians[/s] unless you're telling us he got an infection from his injuries and I don't need to tell you that an infection is a sickness. In fact a very serious disease

He wasn't rejected or despised, that's what he said and NO he had no infection from his injuries. If a snake bite couldn't infect him, the beatings wouldn't too.

See when Paul was stoned, so badly that the people believed they had killed him

Acts 14:19-20 KJV
And there came thither certain Jews from Antioch and Iconium, who persuaded the people, and, having stoned Paul, drew him out of the city, supposing he had been dead. [20] Howbeit, as the disciples stood round about him, he rose up, and came into the city: and the next day he departed with Barnabas to Derbe.

Yet the believers stood by him, not despising or rejecting his battered body.

Finally!! A whiff of breakthrough! This is what I have been saying all along man. This was the infirmity of the flesh- his batterings, beatings, stonings due to the persecution he suffered. That's why he used astheneia and not astheneo. He was not SICK or DISEASED.

If you're a honest person, you dont need Greek studies to understand these scriptures because any christian can be sick including you.

I am an Honest person and I need the Greek studies for clarity as most of the translators only understood the Greek language but not the Holy Spirit's.

26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

See the translators calling the Holy Spirit; the creator of heaven and earth; the first person in the Godhead to be introduced; the power of God; Author of the scriptures etc. an "it" and describing him as an "itself" simply because of the word Pneuma translated Spirit or Wind which seems impersonal.

No sir, I will use the Greek lexicon. And like Jesus and Paul, I will never be sick in my life!!! Amen.
Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by BabaGnoni: 4:53pm On Aug 30, 2014
mbaemeka:
23 Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

The word infirmities as used here is astheneia. Like I said to trustman Infirmties encompasses sicknesses and diseases but diseases and sicknesses do not encompass infirmities. And astheneia was used by Paul only to describe a weakness and not a disease or sickness. When Paul talked about sicknesses he used astheneo. Therefore in this case Paul said use a little wine to strengthen your oftenly weak stomach. I know some translators translated the word to mean illnesses, but they would be wrong because Paul was so articulate he knew when to use words like astheneo, astheneia and even asthenes. If he knew to use astheneo for Trophimus then he knew to use astheneia for Timothy.

I am honest with myself and for those words to be used interchangeably then there should be some consistency in usage even as we consider the user. In John 5:5 the (man was weak in his legs- he could not walk; used to describe impotency; not used by Paul). 1 Corinthians 8:12 the word used was asthenes and it meant weak conscience. In 2 Corinthians 11:21, asthenekanem was used (only once all scripture) by the very articulate Paul to refer to a lack of confidence (mental weakness). Astheneia was used more than 15times to refer to anything but sickness and disease while Astheneo was used 17times to refer to sickness and not weakness.

Paul said infirmity of the flesh/body and not infirmity in the body/flesh. He meant he was weak, beaten, flogged badly with scars and marks all over his body etc. yet the Galatians didn't feel ashamed of him. They accepted his message.

He wasn't rejected or despised, that's what he said and NO he had no infection from his injuries. If a snake bite couldn't infect him, the beatings wouldn't too.

Finally!! A whiff of breakthrough! This is what I have been saying all along man. This was the infirmity of the flesh- his batterings, beatings, stonings due to the persecution he suffered. That's why he used astheneia and not astheneo. He was not SICK or DISEASED.

I am an Honest person and I need the Greek studies for clarity as most of the translators only understood the Greek language but not the Holy Spirit's.

26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

See the translators calling the Holy Spirit; the creator of heaven and earth; the first person in the Godhead to be introduced; the power of God; Author of the scriptures etc. an "it" and describing him as an "itself" simply because of the word Pneuma translated Spirit or Wind which seems impersonal.

No sir, I will use the Greek lexicon. And like Jesus and Paul, I will never be sick in my life!!! Amen.

^^^
Too much punching above ones weight
nonetheless it qualifies to be put in the infamous quotes archives along with other puffed up comments
for the same reasons in James 4:6, Matthew 23:12 James 4:16

...I proclaimed before men and devils alike “I can never be poor!
- David Oyedepo “Commanding the Supernatural”

1 Like

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Candour(m): 5:36pm On Aug 30, 2014
mbaemeka:

I think you and I have discussed all there is to discuss on this particular issue and we will not convince each other otherwise so no need for me to offer a rebuttal.

Instead of both of us forming scholars here, lets encourage our readers use the resources avalaible online to check up these things and compare.

For "Astheneo",(Noun), http://biblehub.com/greek/770.htm

For "Astheneia",(Verb), http://biblehub.com/greek/769.htm

They'll see how these two words were used interchangeably to good effect. Even "Astheneo" could mean "poor"

Note: they both originate from "Asthenes"

Meanwhile I must commend the tone of this your post.

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by DrummaBoy(m): 6:29pm On Aug 30, 2014
[size=16pt]MY SUBMISSION ON F13: MERCHANDIZING THE GOSPEL[/size]
[size=14pt]
Luke 16:13 No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. 16:14 And the Pharisees also, who were covetous, heard all these things: and they derided him. 16:15 And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.

NIV: Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, as those sent from God - 2 Corinthians 2:17

Philippians 3:18 For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: 3:19 Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.
[/size]

One reality that faithful ministers of Christ keep at the back of their minds is the enormous influence their words can make on the minds of their hearers. Therefore they use every opportunity to channel this influence to build up the flock spiritually. God's people trust their Pastors and will obey them most of the time. It's a sad commentary on gospel preaching that some men take advantage of this trust to reap the flock of Christ off financially. To be honest, this sort of thing can be found in virtually all religious gathering but in the Word of Faith movement, it is the norm. The proponent of WoF are leading figures in merchandizing the gospel.

A merchandize is a commodity for sale. What WoF adherents do is to sell gospel truth in a perverted form for money. At the centre of the Word of Faith doctrine is the understanding that God is willing to bless Christians. To access this blessings, there are thing to do. They include but not limited to:

1. Tithing: 10% of income.

2. Paying a firstfruit: January salary.

3. Giving: Freewill giving, blessing the clergy, making pledges and redeeming them, Seed sowing, etc.

4. Holy living: which in many cases is least emphasized.

The Word of Faith gospel does not recognize a dispensational change in scriptures. The words of Moses, for them, carries as much weight as that of Paul, if not more. Incidentally, it is the Old Testament that lays emphasis on obedience being the means of blessing. These scriptures, therefore, become the central texts of WoF. WoF rejects, or belitles, a concept of a blessed Christian who does not need to do things to add to the blessings he already has in Christ (Ephesians 1:3).

If Moses is preached with a Christian heart, the gospel may still not be merchandized (this is my observation of the Deeper Life church). But what has befallen Christian ministry is that greedy men have come into the flock, to preach a false gospel, with the chief aim of profiting from it. Nothing else.

When I was about seven, I was in the living room watching the TV with my parent. My Catholic mother drew my attention to a man preaching in white flowing "agbada". It was Archbishop Benson Idhahosa. My mother said something to this effect: a true minister of God should not display such ostentatious wealth. Those words never left me. So that when I came to know Jesus at 21 and entered the first non Catholic assembly, a pentecostal one, those words protected me from the hundreds of prosperity gospellers that came to our church.

When the Master of the church had no where to lay his head; when his apostles went hungry in the name of ministry and when Jesus has told us not to place mammon above God, it is a sin for a so called pastor of a church to drive a limousine, own a mansion, own a private jet, run church like he is a CEO, dress in designer outfit and claim that he is a millionaire. Please mark my words: I call all these a SIN.

Permit me to relay the story of three ministers I have learnt from.

1. John Calvin: Calvin was a master theologian. He wrote The Institute of the Christian Religion, the book that will form the central doctrine of Protestantism to date, at 27. Calvin was studying to be a lawyer when he read Luther's tract and became protestant. Later in life, following much persecution and suffering, Calvin settled in Geneva and preached there all his life. He preached twice a day, everyday. Geneva became the bible school for Protestant thoughts. John Knox came to Geneva to learn at Calvin's feet. He returned to Scotland and after much persecution, turned that country over to Jesus Christ. Calvin died at 55. When he died, he had almost nothing. The little money he had, he willed to the bible institute he had helped form, which was later named after him. Calvin had lost his wife and none of his children survived infancy. Today John Calvin has millions of spiritual children all over the globe. This man knew where to store his riches: in heaven.

2. Charles Haddon Spurgeon: Spurgeon became a Christian at 16. By the age of 19, he was ministering. He Pastored the London Metropolitan Terbarnacle for over 40 years. He is called the Prince of Preachers. At his 40th year in ministry, his church people bought a house for him. It was only a few years to his death. It was said that he appreciated it so much, he used to be seen tenderly caring the rose garden. The year 1892 is usually referred to by evangelical authors as "The Year Spurgeon Died". He had such tremendous influence on evangelical life but only possessed his own home 40years into ministry.

3. David Martin Lloyd-Jones (1900-1981): Dr Lloyd-Jones, was a "real" medical doctor. He was in a sort of Residency Training, when he felt called to full time ministry. He was being billed to succeed a certain famous London physician when he made this decision. Lloyd-Jones pastored the Westminster Chapel for 38 years, probably the longest serving minister of that church. There is no sound evangelical book ever written, in his time and after his death, that does not contain his quote. His preaching was referred to as "Logic on Fire". I have read a lot of commentary on the Dr but non of them relay anything about his wealth. He was a modest family man, with two daughters. He never considered the fact that he could have made riches from practicing medicine as an excuse for wealth in ministry - a favorite refrain of WOF ministers. When I go to London, I will surely visit Westminster chapel because of the legacy he left there.

None of these three men preached Word of Faith.

Apart from these, Whitefield, Wesley, Hudson Taylor, and other great men of God of past time were never known for their wealth. They were known for their wisdom. They are long dead but yet speaking. In 2003, I asked my young cousin attending a LFC if he had heard of Idhahosa, who died in 1998. He replied in the negative, looking lost. That is the legacy of WOF.

There is no person who reads the New Testament objectively that will not find the strong negative emphasis it places on money. But alas we are in a generation where Christians and their spirituality are measured by the type of car they drive, the house they build, the phone they use, the cloth they wear, the income they earn and the amount they give. They are a generation of prosperity children. They think that godliness is a means to financial gain. They are products of a merchandized gospel.

I REST MY CASE ON F13

3 Likes

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by trustman: 9:50pm On Aug 30, 2014
[size=14pt]

[b][color=#006600]“And proclaim as you go, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out demons. You received without paying; give without pay”
- Matthew 10: 7-8

“What do you have that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if you did not receive it?”
- 1 Corinthians 4:7b

The above two quotes clearly show God’s mind about the dissemination of the gospel. These are not suggestions; these are God’s MANDATES. None of us paid to get the ‘riches of his grace’ that God blessed us with. Not salvation; and certainly not the spiritual gifts and all the other ‘spiritual blessing in heavenly places’. So when a Christian is given the gift of say an evangelist and he decides that he must be paid for exercising that divine endowment, what can we make of that?

Commercial enterprise?
Many Christians and churches do not seem to understand how subtle satanic deception can be and how easily it can steal into ‘Christian’ thinking and actions. TBN (USA) was said to have gone to its audience with a NEED for $8 million for mission work at a time when apart from its cash holding of over $30 million it had $238 million in TREASURY BONDS. What a NEED?

The ‘everyday Christian here in Nigeria’
The ‘everyday Christian here in Nigeria’ cannot claim to be unaware of many ‘MoG’ – pastors, prophets, apostles, etc – who merchandize the gospel through monetizing prayer, ‘prophecy’, ‘breakthrough miracles and so forth. Again the gullible nature of the ‘ordinary believer here in Nigeria’ makes him fall for anything presented in the name of Christianity by any of these self-proclaimed ‘MoG’. Hoodwinked into believing that he cannot reach God on his own or that ‘power’ resides only in the ‘anointed’ ‘MoG’, today’s ‘everyday Christian here in Nigeria’ thinks that to attract God’s intervention on any issue he must do whatever the ‘ministers’ tell him to do including parting with whatever sum of money he is asked to pay. The ‘ministers’ end up smiling to the banks while the followers continue to shortchange themselves, with many continuing to wallow in poverty hoping their ‘breakthrough’ will come someday. The unfortunate thing about the ‘everyday Christian here in Nigeria’ is that stories about the fake and the ridiculous which should shock him into thinking and refocusing his life with the Word of God never seem to have any impact on him. He has become so traumatized (or is it held spellbound) by these ‘MoG’ that he has virtually become a zombie, losing his reasoning and almost completely subjected to the control of the ‘MoG’ he has chosen to run to for ‘cover’.

Dissemination of the gospel
It has become the norm for many of these “MoG’ to charge a fee for being invited to preach at any service or programme. Gone are the days when ministers are invited to come and freely bless other Christians with what they have freely received from God. Many will ask to be put in top hotels and given first class treatment before they will accept or honor any invitation. And all these are in addition to huge ‘honorariums’ they receive for such engagements. Many congregations will scrape all they can or task their members just to host ministers for crusades or revivals.

Bus & Motor-park Preaching
Anyone who has traveled from one state to another in Nigeria from motor parks must have encountered preachers/ ‘prayer ministers’ who at the end of their messages solicit for money to fund their ‘ministry’. The same goes for those preaching in buses in intra city or intra towns routes. The issues of whether donors are Christians or not matters very little to these itinerant (?) preachers. Ordinarily an itinerant minister should either have a support base or be sure he has resources of his own support his work. What these on-the-move preachers do is none of these. Requesting for money from people who may not even care any bit about the gospel is unethical and not in line with Scripture (1 Corinthians 14: 40 – “But all things should be done decently and in order”). Also we are told in 3 John vv 6-8: “who testified to your love before the church. You will do well to send them on their journey in a manner worthy of God. For they have gone out for the sake of the name, accepting nothing from the Gentiles. Therefore we ought to support people like these, that we may be fellow workers for the truth.”
Apart from the ethical question the issue of accountability regarding the funds received is also of little concern to these preachers. These are forms of merchandising of the gospel. In many cases the name of God is even brought into disrepute. The Christian is expected to “give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all” (Romans 12:17).

Money for ‘Ministrations’
Practices that used to be associated with visibly known aberrant ‘Christian’ groups are now openly propagated in the WoF movement. Ministers/Pastors/Prophets within this movement request for money for appointments, counseling, prayer, prophetic declarations, breaking of curses, ‘cleansing’ (whatever that means) and so forth. They request for money to be paid in order for them to fast on behalf of their members’/clients and money to buy fruits/food to break the fast. They claim or give the impression that payment is necessary to speed up answers to prayers or solutions to problems. All these are forms of merchandising the gospel.

Prophet’s Offering
Many of these ‘MoG’ within the WoF movement claim no one should come to a minister empty handed, meaning without bringing something for the minister. They request for ‘prophet’s offering’ which has no basis whatsoever in the Bible but which as usual they have devised to milk more money from the sheep. This again is merchandising of the gospel.

Sale of ‘Consecrated’/ ‘anointed’ items
Some sell various ‘consecrated’ items such as ‘anointed olive oil’, ‘anointed water’, handkerchiefs, etc for different amounts depending on the solicitants’ needs. All these are merchandising of the gospel.

Dropping of offering at the foot of the preacher whilst preaching
This is another unbiblical practice found in many WoF meetings. These preachers may claim that these offerings are spontaneously donated by the givers without being forced to do so. But the questions they need to answer are these:
- Where in Scripture do we find this mandated of any Christian to do?
- What exactly is this type of offering?
- If believers engage in a practice that is uncalled for in the scriptures shouldn’t the ministers be able to tell them to stop such a thing just as Paul asked the Lystrians not to worship him as a god?

See again what we have in Matthew 10: 8“Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give”. If these ‘MoG’ got their ‘power’ or anointing or whatever ability from God, did they pay for them or work to receive them? What do they have that they did not receive freely from God? How come they now demand or coerce payment from people before they exercise their God-given gifts? If God gives His gifts to men freely, what makes those men think they have to put a price tag on it?

Why are so many still falling prey to the assault of every charlatan and modern prosperity gospel preacher that pops up on the stage?

The need for balance
The Scriptures clearly teaches that ministers of the gospel have the right to be supported financially by those to whom the instruction is imparted. However how this is to be done should also be in line with what is found in the Bible: It should not be left to the devices of men. It is the misuse of a God-given privilege that is being condemned. Unfortunately many of these ‘MoG’ suppose that “godliness is a way of gain” (1 Timothy 6:3) and so use the “gospel” as a way of fattening their own pockets.

The WoF movement has created the most false view of Christianity since anything that happened before the reformation. In the area of merchandizing the gospel the movement has done much more than had been done before now in coming up with avenues to get money by all means and make “merchandise” of people (2 Peter 2:3) .

Do not be deceived. Stick only to the truth as it is written in the Word and don't follow after the traditions of men. You are guilty before God if you choose to go against His revealed will in the Scripture. Don't let covetousness make you follow after teachings you see are clearly condemned by scriptures simply because you desire the things they promise. Look only to God and His Word for your direction and He will fulfill His promises to you. Revelation 18: 4 - "Then I heard another voice from heaven say:

“‘Come out of her, my people,’[b]
so that you will not share in her sins,
so that you will not receive any of her plagues;"

I REST MY CASE ON F13

4 Likes

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by BabaGnoni: 10:14pm On Aug 30, 2014
[size=16pt]MY SUBMISSION ON F13: MERCHANDISING THE GOSPEL[/size]

At least we are not commercializing God's word like so many others.
Instead, we speak with sincerity in the Messiah's name,
like people who are sent from God and are accountable to God.

- 2 Corinthians 2:17 ISV

For we are not as many, false merchandisers of the word of God,
but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God we speak in Christ
- 2 Corinthians 2:17 Jubilee Bible 2000

"In Rome," cried Luther,
"they sell everything. They would sell the Father, and sell the Son, and sell the Holy Ghost."
(i.e. sell the dove like in John 2:16)

"Merchandising the Gospel" is not a WoF teaching/doctrine per se, but is, more of a WoF hush-hush or whispered thriving enterprise.

It is one of the formulae of creating wealth used by WoF-influenced ministries or preachers.

It is about amassing money or riches, literally done by shearing the
"Benjamins" or "Mama Charlies" wool off the sheeple and/or sheepish

Christianity has turned into a big industry, in which, WoF incorporated or non-incorporated takes advantage off and gladly goes about exploiting desperate and vulnerable people by offering all sorts for sale in return for blessing, prosperity healing, miracles, success etc.

There is no scruples, so anything goes, anything from selling
blackcurrant juice and olive oil drink at over 200% their retail as a "miracle cure" for cancer and HIV, to selling over-inflated items like scarves, sand from Jerusalem, Holy Water, handkerchiefs, prayer cloths, anointing oil, trinkets and any other nick-knacks they're able to dream up, claimed to have been blessed with power for miracles, healing, breakthroughs etc

Another trend, is selling books on topics in which the author hasn't got a clean bill of good health in (e.g. matrimonial etc)

There is an astonishing plethora range of overpriced, hurriedly written to rush out for printing and mostly small in content/pages, merchandise books offered on most WoF influenced on-line shops or in retail bookshops.

Also without any industry proven track record, "self styled, leading lights, yet unseasoned in the industry" WoF preacher fat cats peddle literature, MP3-audios, DVD/CD visuals with titles like "21-steps to financial breakthrough" "Business or Career Breakthrough" etcetera.

Then, there is this other "merchandising the Gospel" cunning plan using psychology designed to turn situations to WoF's advantage, it is where the WoF preacher, claims him, his ministry or the WoF preacher's organised event etc is a fertile ground to send, give or donate money to, this in return for healing, marriage prospects, work opportunities, riches etc

It is common knowledge that mainstream WoF are incorporated and/or major in big business activities, and hence some of the reasons for those inserted random advertisement slots played by the WoF preacher or the announcing assistant during satellite or TV broadcasted teaching/preaching to sell "products"

In their greed they will make up clever lies to get hold of your money.
But God condemned them long ago, and their destruction will not be delayed.

- 2 Peter 2:3 NLT

"and said unto those that sold the doves,
Take these things away from here; do not make my Father's house a house of
merchandise"
- John 2:16 Jubilee Bible 2000

DrummaBoy and trustman, have succinctly briefed us on the embarrassment of the "Merchandising the Gospel" industry and can imagine Jesus weeping again, just like He did, in John 11:35.

We are called to promote the gospel and not called to shamefully solicit for money, give undue attention to "products" or promote the sale of "products"

When it comes to corrupting, distorting or bastardising the gospel for personal gains or benefits, except for the Church of Rome founded by satan, WoF has no match.

[size=16pt]MY SUBMISSION ON F13: MERCHANDISING THE GOSPEL[/size]
I REST MY CASE ON F13

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (27) (Reply)

Why Are Yorubas Few In The Roman Catholic And Also Few Yoruba Revd Fathers? / COZA Church Gifts Widows Materials (Photos) / Pastor Dele Taiwo And Doyin His Wife Welcome Their First Child (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 353
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.