Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,620 members, 7,809,285 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:17 AM

NMA And NARD Declare An Indefinite Strike From July 1st At 00.00hrs - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NMA And NARD Declare An Indefinite Strike From July 1st At 00.00hrs (25023 Views)

True Confession: How Judases Betrayed The Nma Strike By Sacking Us - Nard Presid / JOHESU Declares 5-day Warning Strike From Jan 15 / Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NMA And NARD Declare An Indefinite Strike From July 1st At 00.00hrs by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jun 30, 2014
zeezzy: hmmm.i pray everyone involved NMA,JOHESU,Govt solve these with a speed of light.They must not allow hospitals to be shut down,plssss.
thats our hope too.

1 Like

Re: NMA And NARD Declare An Indefinite Strike From July 1st At 00.00hrs by johnbosco97(m): 11:08pm On Jun 30, 2014
ASUU style strike to begin in an hour, Nigerians will know who the patients are coming to hospital to see for their care. Its time for JOHESU to show their clinical skills.
Re: NMA And NARD Declare An Indefinite Strike From July 1st At 00.00hrs by filiks(m): 11:37pm On Jun 30, 2014
bumfem:

"Doctors went on strike in lagos and ekiti, nurses covered effectively well without much ado.
who say docs are indispensable. Not all docs senseless though.I commend those that love the job not only for money but see it as a calling .
Many actually went to med schl to escape poverty.This informed there disdained attitude to colleague in other health profession.

Modern health care is delivered multidisciplinarily. Guess what, no one is a superman .We are all very important .Guess why Canada/UK continue to top best countries to live in.

NMA is creating it own healthcare protocol possible only in poverty ridden Africa."

How can anyone say that in public?

First, we all saw how the lagos strike happened, doctors were employed urgently to do the job of doctors!

Yes, Any professional can attain the peak of his/her career and become a consultant. But a consultant nurse can never replace a doctor!

In every field/industry, there's a leader/head. And please don't get it twisted, the whole multidisciplinary concept is not synonymous to 'anarchy' or 'no hierarchy'!

For example, In any building project, no matter how many consultant building engineers or structural engineers, etc involved, the head of the project is the consultant architect!

One of these days, a long-serving court clerk will contest to lead court proceedings!

2 Likes

Re: NMA And NARD Declare An Indefinite Strike From July 1st At 00.00hrs by cnwamo(m): 11:42pm On Jun 30, 2014
femyodsky:

If I may ask, why did you decide to study medicine having practised as a nurse for that number of years.

I could give you a million and one reasons centered around money, self, etc but there's no need to... Its personal smiley
Re: NMA And NARD Declare An Indefinite Strike From July 1st At 00.00hrs by babat89: 12:00am On Jul 01, 2014
cnwamo:

I could give you a million and one reasons centered around money, self, etc but there's no need to... Its personal smiley

Bros, U sound crappy. Since a doctor aint different u needn't be one naw. Abi?
Re: NMA And NARD Declare An Indefinite Strike From July 1st At 00.00hrs by femyodsky(m): 12:02am On Jul 01, 2014
cnwamo:

Okay, wish you all the best.
Re: NMA And NARD Declare An Indefinite Strike From July 1st At 00.00hrs by Nobody: 5:48am On Jul 01, 2014
they don't know maybe they just want the title.
Doctors in nigeria are the least respected yet most hardworking set of people when compare to other class.
well like I always tell people, "u dont know the value of a doctor until u need one "
I pray u dont have need for one ...grow old and die naturally in ur bedroom if not, this same fingers u use un typing trash against doctors will grow cancers
Re: NMA And NARD Declare An Indefinite Strike From July 1st At 00.00hrs by bumfem: 6:24am On Jul 01, 2014
I really do not know who to quote. There just too many lamentations on this thread by so call physicians.

This is where i do pity docs at times. Always want to shout at the roof top that they are king kong of the hospitals. A king that always remind the people that he is a king is no king at all.

I appreciate the guy that posted some links to support his view. I understand u struggle to provide those link that seem to help your bias point of view. The word is not ''medical consultant'' but ''consultant''. Go back to your search and educate yourself. Search consultant pharmacist or physiotherapist or nurses job. They are all clinic base.

Your problem is wickedness and greed. Consultant physician and consultant nurses or pharmacist do not mean the same thing. They got paid with diff. pay templates. If the govt is fine with that I wonder this lamentations from NMA.

That docs will go on strike is not really a big deal to many nigerians. Many of them already prefer private outfit to seek healthcare. Most primary and comp health care centers are covered well by nurses.

Wishing u good luck in yet another round of strike.
Re: NMA And NARD Declare An Indefinite Strike From July 1st At 00.00hrs by otokx(m): 7:04am On Jul 01, 2014
Time will tell.
Re: NMA And NARD Declare An Indefinite Strike From July 1st At 00.00hrs by omicron(m): 8:41am On Jul 01, 2014
Dr_OBD:

God bless you Acidosis. I am a medical doctor and didn't want to comment because there is no need to. This your statement is so correct. I don't think there is any doctor who is currently fighting to head pharmaceutical companies or the health sector. The health sector actually needs a multidisciplinary approach as the patient will be the biggest beneficiary. What NMA is fighting for is that doctors should be the head in the hospital environment, not in the pharmaceutical companies or NGOs. Actually one can become a consultant in any professional field, Business, marketing, etc. so other healthcare professionals should be allowed to become consultant, but with a well structured programme not to rival the medical doctors, but to add more value to the sector.
What most of you don't know is that in public hospitals (teaching hospitals in particular), before a lab result is released, it must be endorsed by a pathologist (who is a medical doctor), medical doctors (radiologist) interprets X-rays, Ultrasound results, MRI and CT scan. The job description is clear, but we all need each other.
In terms of renumeration, if you google the richest professionals in the US, UK, etc, you will find medical doctors (different specialties) topping the list. You can hardly find other health professionals on the list. Doctors don't earn the same amount with other health professionals anywhere in the world. But other health care professionals have the right to earn big as well.
In terms of medical school, yes, other health professionals take BASIC courses in anatomy, biochemistry and physiology but not as deep as a doctor (in Lagos, most hospitals employ auxiliary nurses, can we then call these auxiliary nurses real nurses and earn same as a registered nurse because they can give injections and dress wounds)?
I work in Lagos and most private hospitals are owned by doctors, those that are not owned by doctors must employ a doctor before they are given a licence to function, the disparity is even wider in private setting where doctors earn 100 naira, registered nurses earn 50 naira while the auxiliary nurses earn about 15 naira (they do most of the work).
Let's tell ourselves the truth, none of us will visit any centre if there is no doctor there. Yes, doctors make mistakes, but I can tell you that the mistake is everywhere.... Imagine a pharmacist who prescribed ciprofloxacin and fansidar to a pregnant woman before quickening which resulted in a miscarriage. Knowledge and experience is key. I will never go and start mixing different chemicals to produce a drug, that is not my field or area of specialization.

We should work together in the health sector. Take a clue from the public health team (anybody can become a public health expert), let's respect boundaries, doctors must respect other health workers, they must respect us as well.
Within the four walls of a hospital, the doctor is head, however the health sector is big enough for everybody, the pharmacist is the head in a pharmaceutical company, the engineer is the head of a biomedical tech, the nurses are care givers, sweet and always trained to assist the doctor so as to give patients the best of care.
I rest my case.

1 Like

Re: NMA And NARD Declare An Indefinite Strike From July 1st At 00.00hrs by cnwamo(m): 12:06pm On Jul 01, 2014
babat89:

Bros, U sound crappy. Since a doctor aint different u needn't be one naw. Abi?

Do you even know the meaning of the word crappy?, because if you do you wouldn't have used it...#bemindfulofthewordsyouuse#
Re: NMA And NARD Declare An Indefinite Strike From July 1st At 00.00hrs by cnwamo(m): 12:07pm On Jul 01, 2014
femyodsky:

Okay, wish you all the best.

Thanks Bro smiley
谢谢我的朋友。 smiley
Re: NMA And NARD Declare An Indefinite Strike From July 1st At 00.00hrs by tunsmart: 3:32pm On Jul 01, 2014
bumfem: I really do not know who to quote. There just too many lamentations on this thread by so call physicians.
This is where i do pity docs at times. Always want to shout at the roof top that they are king kong of the hospitals. A king that always remind the people that he is a king is no king at all.
I appreciate the guy that posted some links to support his view. I understand u struggle to provide those link that seem to help your bias point of view. The word is not ''medical consultant'' but ''consultant''. Go back to your search and educate yourself. Search consultant pharmacist or physiotherapist or nurses job. They are all clinic base.
Your problem is wickedness and greed. Consultant physician and consultant nurses or pharmacist do not mean the same thing. They got paid with diff. pay templates. If the govt is fine with that I wonder this lamentations from NMA.
That docs will go on strike is not really a big deal to many nigerians. Many of them already prefer private outfit to seek healthcare. Most primary and comp health care centers are covered well by nurses.
bumfem: I really do not know who to quote. There just too many lamentations on this thread by so call physicians.
@bumfem,you really don't need to be too dogmatic about this,links were posted by the respondent to clarify and define the respective roles of the consultants in those other fields,stating clearly that they are not hospital based.The best you can do is to take the king king route and use the stupid tywin lannister quote.If you are so sure that consultant nurses work in hospitals abroad.Post your links,and we discuss from there,stop your insulting display of ignorance right in front of corrections.

1 Like

Re: NMA And NARD Declare An Indefinite Strike From July 1st At 00.00hrs by phantom(m): 4:18pm On Jul 01, 2014
tunsmart: @bumfem,you really don't need to be too dogmatic about this,links were posted by the respondent to clarify and define the respective roles of the consultants in those other fields,stating clearly that they are not hospital based.The best you can do is to take the king king route and use the stupid tywin lannister quote.If you are so sure that consultant nurses work in hospitals abroad.Post your links,and we discuss from there,stop your insulting display of ignorance right in front of corrections.
my brother don't expect any sensible argument from him.its all emotions. I've said it before...this struggle is just to embarrass the doctors pure and simple.
Re: NMA And NARD Declare An Indefinite Strike From July 1st At 00.00hrs by bumfem: 8:30pm On Jul 01, 2014
Hi guys.......since u ask for relevant link here you are. pls take time to study the result of these systematic reviews and meta-synthesis and get some education on clinic based consultant nurses,physiothetapists,pharmacist and lab scientists.
Then let us talk latter. Good day.day

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21219527

http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sites3/home.cfm?orgid=890

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/49741134_Nurse_and_allied_health_professional_consultants_perceptions_and_experiences_of_the_role

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/44671615_Assessing_the_impact_of_nurse_and_allied_health_professional_consultants_developing_an_activity_diary

1 Like

Re: NMA And NARD Declare An Indefinite Strike From July 1st At 00.00hrs by drobadebayo: 5:52am On Jul 02, 2014
eaglechild: Those clamouring to become consultants should please look at the way residency program is structured.

I hope they realise that they will need to do the following.

Establish colleges for different fields.

Establish faculties for different subspecialties.

Have trained "consultants" in different subspecialties.

Cease to become permanent members of staff of hospitals, and have their appointment terminated at the time of expiration of the program.

Undergo training a minimum of 4 years equivalent to at least a post PhD.(almost impossible given that their first degrees are not at par with MBBS). Involving novel clinical research.

Be ready to have their appointments terminated if they fail to pass college exams.

Not dey don't want dis.dey just wanna be consultants after sitting in one place for soo long
Re: NMA And NARD Declare An Indefinite Strike From July 1st At 00.00hrs by tunsmart: 3:38pm On Jul 03, 2014
bumfem:
Hi guys.......since u ask for relevant link here you are. pls take time to study the result of these systematic reviews and meta-synthesis and get some education on clinic based consultant nurses,physiothetapists,pharmacist and lab scientists.
Then let us talk latter. Good day.day

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21219527

http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sites3/home.cfm?orgid=890

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/49741134_Nurse_and_allied_health_professional_consultants_perceptions_and_experiences_of_the_role

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/44671615_Assessing_the_impact_of_nurse_and_allied_health_professional_consultants_deveg_an_activity_diary
First and foremost, two of the links are repetition of one review,and secondly NONE of the research publications you posted indicated that those consultants were hospital based.All you ve done is to once again show that positions exist,which your respondent showed too with his links but he also clearly showed that they are not hospital based consultants. Also remember, he clearly stated at the beginning of his argument that our health/educational system like our other public systems ar3 modelled after the british's,not after the american system where the plethora of this non-hospital based consultants exist.

1 Like

Re: NMA And NARD Declare An Indefinite Strike From July 1st At 00.00hrs by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jul 03, 2014
Re: NMA And NARD Declare An Indefinite Strike From July 1st At 00.00hrs by jpphilips(m): 4:06pm On Jul 07, 2014
bumfem:

ncerely doctors need not worry about other professional method of progression so far the appointment of consultancy are regulated by govt approved bodies.

More so, they are consultant in their various profession and not in medicine. If the govt that fund this regulatory bodies is fine with the standard set for appointment of consultancy so be it. I see no reason why NMA seem to be crying than the bereaved.

Consultancy are confer on other health professional in western world ,whose system we are trying to copy. I see no reason why NMA is not comfortable with this.

In modern medicine, lab investigations are far becoming sacrosant to making informed impression that drives appropriate care and also to be at safer side of the law medicolegally. Nigerian physicians do what they like and call it practice because there are no laws protecting our patient here or laws are not been enforced.

Off course, making correct diagnosis starts from history taking in other to enrich yourself in review of system and system review . In most cases in modern medical practice,data collection/lab investigation/and or imaging follows in other to make informed evaluation of the problem.

In fact NMA need to focus on improving nigeria healthcare index in africa not to talk of the world. And get busy instead of fighting who becomes what in hospital. Respects are earn and not by intimidation and share blackmail.

When you hinge your argument on the bold part of your post, first paragraph, I get irritated, Fine, if you feel you want to assume a position that threatens the nation much less health care, you must straighten your position with facts and logic to make sense to even the president who may not be a Health practitioner.

By your statement "doctors need not worry about other professional method of progression" It is clear what JOHESU or whatever you guys call them is fighting for.
You want the doctor not to care about your academic progression yet you want to lead a hospital where doctors work? do you as support health care providers take hospitals to be a Mechanic workshop?

You don't go on strike to broaden your curriculum, but you want to lead a hospital, how do you guys think, can you try that in a company?

A theater nurse should be striking for their curriculum to be broadened to include surgery so that the experience can be utilized in the absence of a surgeon, that is what will benefit the patient.

A pharmacist wants to head the hospital just because he has a cubicle of drugs in a hospital? what kinda logic is this? A doctor did courses in pharmacology, pathology etc like you but your curriculum did not cover some of his eg surgery, on what grounds are you leading a doctor?
what kind of professionals do we have in Nigeria? you guys make a mockery of commonsense with your petty logic.

A radiographer wants to head a Hospital, did they forget that there is a radiologist who is a doctor that specialized in radiography? who has the academic prowess to lead each other?

Look at ordinary lab scientist whom a Biochemist have covered their curriculum in natural science will want to head a hospital? haba! sometimes when your union people pass a circular, the people with sense should challenge it in house before throwing it out to the public, to avoid embarrassment.

Any health care worker can head a hospital but for the sake of the patient, go round all the departments in health care to assume the competence to do so.

I will love a nurse to be able to correct a doctor who made a wrong prescription not because he or she has spent sometime with a doctor but because he or she has passed through the academic training that permit her to do so, that is what I call "MERIT" not some wish wash of being a health care professional, health care team and other nonsense, train, study and be competent before dragging positions.

From the time of JAMB, the physician have started sweating, going by the cut off mark of all the health sciences for the past 20yrs, the doctor is bestowed with one of the highest, the curriculum is so broad that most times they leave the university so old, how would you reward such hard work, dedication and commitment? by making a cleaner his boss in the name of health care professionals?

It doesn't take long they will run to America to tell us how their CMD's are ordinary administrators, but they fail to tell us that the final clinical shot as regards treatment and diagnosis is called by the doctor, that being the case, the CMD position abroad is ceremonial, why do we need such nonsense in Nigeria? It happens in America doesn't make it right, to me it is mere bureaucracy.
why cant the highest ranking doctor call the shot for the whole Hospital? why do we need a novice administrator who may be consulting same doctors to take some decisions?

Let me remind JESHU or whatever that Nature follows the path of least resistance, the reason people still study hard to aspire to go through the rigors of medical school is because of the perks that comes with being a doctor, those privileges "MUST" never be compromised.

Any attempt to harmonize their benefit will not only enthrone incompetence in health care delivery but will make medicine unattractive.
why will i go through medical school when I will enjoy same benefit with a doctor as a parasitologist?

On what grounds should an air hostess earn the same as the Pilot? just because she feels she serves coffee to the passengers? what kind of logic are we throwing around in Nigeria? If an air hostess want the same perks and privilege as a Pilot, by all means the Aeronautic school is open for anyone to go through the stress.

There must be parity in benefit for all the health care workers, If you want to chop like a consultant, kindly go through medical school, you cannot reap where you did not sow.

To believe that people who ended up in Nursing, Physiotherapy, Bio chemistry, Medical lab science were actually people who couldn't make it past MB or some who the JAMB cut off truncated their desire to be doctors, In the Hospital you want "Harmonized salaries" with doctors, thieves!!

If you like the official vehicle or the house incentive given to your CMD, by all means go to the medical school. we don't honor hard work in this country, The super eagles trained consistently for over 3yrs to qualify and prosecute the Nations cup qualifiers, the Nation's cup, the world cup qualifiers and the world cup proper, in the middle of the tournament, the FA is still haggling with their bonuses.

when are we going to enthrone merit and hard work in this country? nobody wants to work hard but they want the best life, look at the judiciary furore in this country, the judiciary is handicapped because there are so many loop holes in our laws, to believe it is our highest paid public servants that made those s!lly laws is disheartening.

You cannot give a doctor his deserved honor but we spend billions on militants, thieves whose radicalism nearly crippled our economy.

On the part of the Govt, the only solution is to privatize all our hospitals which will lead to increase medical cost, a subsidized health insurance scheme will then take care of that. when I buy the hospital, let the Aux. nurse tell me to pay her a par with the Doctor, lemme slap her to mortuary condition.

By the way I am not a doctor, I cant even stand a stinking toto let alone f0ndle with it in the name of being a gynecologist, yuck!!

4 Likes

Re: NMA And NARD Declare An Indefinite Strike From July 1st At 00.00hrs by jpphilips(m): 5:12pm On Jul 07, 2014
tunsmart: First and foremost, two of the links are repetition of one review,and secondly NONE of the research publications you posted indicated that those consultants were hospital based.All you ve done is to once again show that positions exist,which your respondent showed too with his links but he also clearly showed that they are not hospital based consultants. Also remember, he clearly stated at the beginning of his argument that our health/educational system like our other public systems ar3 modelled after the british's,not after the american system where the plethora of this non-hospital based consultants exist.

Haven't you noticed that most Nairalanders have comprehension problems?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How To Know If You Need Glasses / Osun Baby Of The Year: Hospital Defrauds Family Of Baby’s Gifts / Two COVID-19 Patients Die In Osun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.