Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,684 members, 7,823,927 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:39 PM

Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here - Agriculture (118) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here (484050 Views)

World's Largest Pig Farm In Kano / Intending And First-time Farmers: Lets Meet Here / Kaduna State Farmers Lets Meet Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Fk2021(m): 7:31am On May 20, 2021
Pauladex:

if it not for business you can buy anything but if business is involved oga not a good choice.

Thank you bros
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by DIIGZ(m): 10:01am On May 25, 2021
wengerman:
join my whatsapp training to learn the science and art of pig agribusiness
. Please add me 08031158818
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Atanda5050(m): 3:33pm On May 30, 2021
Ojey1234:
Good day guys, pls who can help with a cheap way to feed my pigs, please who has a good cheap formula for pigs

Thanks
Goodday sir I sold out wet brewery waste to pig farmers and missing pkc and brewery waste together in feeding pigs is very effective for more details you can chart me on whatapp 09032128103 or call me on 09021532626
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Atanda5050(m): 3:39pm On May 30, 2021
IRIENBOY:
Good afternoon. I want to start pig farming here in delta.pig farmer delta show me were to get brewery yeast.
You mean brewery wet waste chart me on whatapp 09032128103 or call 09021532626 for buying brewery spent grain also know has brewery waste for feeding pigs
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by DFPS: 7:37am On May 31, 2021
I need 30 sows (average of 60kg) and 5 boars. Large white .my farm is in kwara state. 0806 543 3594. Farm workers also needed

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Luckylife(m): 7:39pm On May 31, 2021
[quote author=Angelparadise post=79022720]Please add me on whats
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Luckylife(m): 7:40pm On May 31, 2021
Angelparadise:
Please add me on whatsa
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by iamolufemi(m): 10:20pm On Jun 02, 2021
AandAFarms:

Pigs don't sweat, so yes they still need a wallowing pond for cooling their body to prevent over heating,
and this is different from the water they drink.
If you cannot afford to construct a wallowing pond, you can be spraying them water or use a shower or allow them play outside in the mud.

Good evening. Please how can I reduce the fat in my pigs before sending them out for slaughter?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by AandAFarms: 4:17am On Jun 05, 2021
It actually depends on your breed, feeding, sex etc. But the fastest way we make a pig burn fat in our farm is to reduce the feed intake and feed the right composition of feed for the right age mostly the protein and energy part, make sure you dont give them excess, especially the female and castrated male pigs.

The main scope is to start monitoring and controlling their growth around 55kg or 60kg - 100kg. they easily accumulate fat at this stage.
but the most important thing is to have the right breed. Always select lean pigs as your breeding stock. Look at them very well because a pig can grow fast and be big but its just full of fat with little muscle .

2 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by AandAFarms: 4:32am On Jun 05, 2021
iamolufemi:

Good evening. Please how can I reduce the fat in my pigs before sending them out for slaughter?
See my reply above
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Ennyboy12(m): 10:19pm On Jun 06, 2021
AandAFarms:

See my reply above

Hi, please where can i get Hipradermic for pig vaccination
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by AandAFarms: 5:02pm On Jun 09, 2021
Ennyboy12:

Hi, please where can i get Hipradermic for pig vaccination
I am not sure, its not really common here. You may need to order from online
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by amadasunfarm(m): 7:57pm On Jun 12, 2021
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dreu2fine(m): 9:50pm On Jun 13, 2021
koolsammie:
I do piggery. Started barely a yr though.There are many experienced pig farmers on nairaland. Excelsior, Kayjegs, whatsoever u need to know, ask
Where can I buy pig to resale in large quantity to delta state
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by cattlefarming01: 3:42pm On Jun 14, 2021
Are You Frustrated Your Pigs Are Not Gaining Weight ?

Do You Desire To See Your Pigs Grow Bigger And Faster?

Do you want to cut cost of feeding your pigs at the same time make them grow bigger ?

All you just have to do is to start using Livestock - Zyme for your pigs

Livestock - Zyme is fortified with ENZYMES which helps your pigs to absorb nutrients from their feed to enable them Grow faster, it also help to boost their immune system for prevention of disease.

Why You Should Use Livestock-Zyme

It makes your pig grow bigger

Increases immune system for prevention of disease.

Increase animal carcass meat

Reduces rearing period

Increases your profit

How To Use

Simply add 1 capful of Livestock-Zyme into 40 litres of water or 1 bottle of Livestock-Zyme in 2,400 litres of water and feed normally.

For more inquiries or delivery of product to your location contact : +23408033492090 ( Call or Whatsapp)

To learn more about our products kindly visit our website www.zenithenergyenzyme.com

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by iamolufemi(m): 6:38pm On Jun 22, 2021
Good evening bro. Please where can I get the estromate injection?

dejia:
Hi eazeefix:

I used estromate, to synchronize the pigs, you give them the injection and within 4-5days, they wll all go on heat, some pple say it has an effect over time, i havent noticed; i only did it ones, when i had to inseminate, so they all litter around the same time, i wean after 40days, and flush feed the sow for 10days, if you flush feed in 10days, they will all go on heat, so that is the method am using, we have 3 sets already and we do that to minimize cost.

I will really like us to discuss more on feed cost, as 80% of our cost is on feed; am looking for a good source of BDG; am looking at a way , where we farmers can work together, i can get what is cheaper in ilorin to any farmer in ,Osun Ogun or Oyo, and those in Oyo can also supply me with what is cheaper at there end. we have a bus that can move it around and split the cost of transportation.

Pls lets discuss it, the only thing that i get cheaply in Kwara is Maize, and wheat offal.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Fmdave(m): 10:17am On Jun 25, 2021
Great

dynamix101
post=100080614:

Good afternoon everyone

To celebrate one year of collaborations in our WhatsApp corner, we decided to start a magazine series, and the first is here. It is truly one of it's kind and I assure you that you won't walk away the same after reading through. It's a must read for either intending or practicing farmers.

To get a digital copy, chat me up on WhatsApp; 08130227169 and I will share a copy with you. The only way is up!!!

To your continued success
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Hardey10(m): 8:21am On Jun 26, 2021
7 boar's and sows available for sale in Ekiti with a weight of 50+ kg.

Price is #1000/kg
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Shyne042: 5:07pm On Jun 27, 2021
good day fellow farmers; pls add me on the watsapp group. 08038685216, thanks
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Tmex(m): 2:54pm On Jun 28, 2021
Please add me to the group 09023671200
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Aretoyin: 3:17pm On Jun 28, 2021
What could cause my pig to be red in mouth and leg? Do anyone know this disease symptoms please?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Aretoyin: 8:16am On Jun 29, 2021
08067663397 pls add me too.thanks
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by agricexport(m): 2:57pm On Jun 29, 2021
hello, what is the price of matured pig for slaughter?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Odemok(m): 1:19pm On Jul 03, 2021
Good day all, please kindly add me to the WhatsApp group. 08039562282
I am new in piggery and would like to learn more.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by isaac2use: 6:22pm On Jul 09, 2021
Please add me on Whatsapp 08062409979
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by amicfarmer: 6:45pm On Jul 09, 2021
I need a vet or person who is into insemination for pigs around ijebu ode environ
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by OyinFarm: 12:16pm On Jul 10, 2021
[quote author=lagbaja post=34013742]For the start up pig farmers. Let me do you a bit of business analysis to help you with the minimum investment ( in terms of how many pigs you should raise and sell per annum) to make to be a profitable pig farmer.

Here it goes:

Profit = Sales - Total Cost. ............ equation 1
Profit = Sales - ( Fixed cost + Variable cost )...............equation 2

Fixed Cost- these are costs you incur whether you like it or not. For example staff salary, rentage, interest on loan, enery cost, management cost. etc.

Variable Cost- these are costs associated with the products ( pigs ) you are producing . They increase or decrease as the volume of product increases or decreases. Eg feed, medications. Weaner purchase. Etc.

Now, for any business , your interest is to make profit. To make profit, you must cover both your variable and fixed costs, otherwise you will run at a loss. Therefore, you must break even to start making profit.

The break even point is the point when your profit totally covers all your costs.

At break even, Profit = 0 .....................Equation 3

Therefore our equation 1 becomes

Profit = 0 = Sales - ( Fixed Cost + Variable Cost)...............Equation 4

Therefore, at break even point,

Sales = Fixed Cost + Variable Cost. ...............Equation 5

Remember that Pigs are sold per kg. therefore, our total annual sales is

Number of kg of pigs sold x unit price ( Selling price varies between N280 and N300)

Equation 5 becomes

Quantity (kg) x Unit Selling Price = Fixed Cost + Quantity (kg)x Unit Cost Price.................Equation 6

If we rearrange this equation it will be:

Fixed Cost = Q*Unit Selling Price - Q*Unit Cost Price.

Fixed Cost = Q * ( Unit Selling Price - Unit Cost Price)

Q = Fixed Cost/(Unit Selling price - Unit Cost Price).................Equation 7

Q, here represents the minimum number of kg of pigs we must sell per month ( or per annum ) to break even.

For every kg of pig we sell. It cost us money . I have previously explained the concept of FCR. Let's assume your FCR is 4. And our average cost of feed is N50. Therefore, It will cost you N200 to produce 1kg of pig.

So let's assume what your fixed cost will be.

You hired 2 staff @ N15,000 each. You allocate to yourself N10k for all cost of running around. Other sundry fixed cost at N10k ( veterinary doctor and other expenses). Let us assume that your total monthly cost is N50,000.

From question 7

Q= 50,000 / (N280- N200)= 50,000/80. = 625kg

From above, If we assume that the average size of your pigs are 63kg, it means you must sell a minimum of 10 pigs per month to break even.

So annually, you must raise and sell 120 pigs of that size. If you don't, you are running at a loss. This should not be a big deal if you plan your business well. We already know that a pig can farrow up to 20 piglets per annum under good management.

Also, as a wise startup farmer, it might make sense for you to buy weaners for fattening from other farmers and raise while you wait for your own sows to start farrowing.

If you want to test your own profitabliiy, change each parameter ( like the fixed cost, feed cost per kg, selling price and others ) and know how much investment you need to make.

[God bless you really good Lagbaja. This is a piece of priceless information]
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Anthony20: 4:14pm On Jul 11, 2021
Profitable Pig Farming
With our BDG Formula and Supply we can help to increase your profit in
pig farming with over 40%.
We will also give you free consultancy support services once your patronize our product
Call or whatsapp-08055554179, 09022800846

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Giantfarmer(m): 1:46pm On Jul 14, 2021
hello great farmer, how can I quantify the market size of pork in Nigeria
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by livingg(m): 6:31am On Jul 24, 2021
Please someone should add me to any of the group 08058506036
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by OyinFarm: 12:23pm On Jul 24, 2021
Ch10 Animal housing: Cattle housing (Pig Housing)
Pig farming is realtively unimportant in most regions of Africa, as in most tropical countries, except China and South-East Asia. However, pig production is increasing in many tropical countries as processed pork finds an increasing market and pig production yields a relatively rapid rate of return on the capital employed. Pigs are kept primarily for meat production, but the by-products, such as pigskin, bristles and manure are also of economic importance.
To some extent pigs compete with man for food, but they can also utilise by-products and wastes from human feeding.
Management Improvements
In many tropical countries pigs roam freely as scavengers or are raised in the back-yard where they depend on wastes for feed. Little attempt is made to obtain maximum. Little attempt is made to obtain maximum productivity. However, a few simple management practices can help to improve the productivity and health of these pigs. They include:
1 Fenced paddocks with shade and water where:
• a Pigs are protected from direct sun, which will cause sunburn, and sometimes sunstroke particularly with whiteskinned pigs.
• b Pigs can be fed supplementary feed secure from neighbouring pig.
• c Some basic measures to control disease and parasites are possible to reduce the often very high mortality rate and to improve the poor reproductive and growth performance and inferior quality of meat experienced in traditional pig production in the tropics. The paddock can be sub-divided into 4 to 6 smaller areas so that pigs can be moved from one enclosure to another at 2 week intervals.
• d Sows can be bred to selected sires.
2 Simple semi-covered pens constructed of rough timber with a thatch roof and floor of concrete as shown in Figure 10.25.

An earth floor can be used, but is more difficult to keep clean and sanitary. Several pens can be arranged in a row as required. The main disadvantage with this type of accommodation is the relatively high labour requirements for cleaning.
3 Wallows or sprinklers can be provided to alleviate heat stress. Being unable to sweat sufficiently pigs have a natural instinct to wallow to increase the evaporative cooling from the skin.
While such improvements have the advantage of low investment in buildings and less need for balanced feed rations, they should only be regarded as first steps in raising the general level in present primitive systems.
The raising of pigs in confinement is gradually replacing the old methods because of lower production costs, improved feed efficiency and better control of disease and parasites. Thus, the confinement system is usually advisable in circumstances where:
• good management is available;
• high-quality pigs ate introduced;
• farrowings occur at regular intervals throughout the year;
• land is scarce or not accessible all the year;
• balanced rations ate available;
• labour is expensive;
• parasite and disease control is necessary;
• the target is commercial production;
• herd size is reasonably large.
Some systems keep only part of the herd in confinement. The order of priority for confinement housing for the different classes of animals is usually as follows:
• 1 Growing/finishing pigs (25-90 kg or more liveweight) for higher control daily gain, better feed conversions dna pasite control.
• 2 Farrowing and lactating sows, to reduce pre-weaning mortality and for higher quality weaners.
• 3 Gestating sows, to allow individual feeding and better control of stock.
Management Systems in Intensive Commercial Pig Production

There is no standard type or system of housing for pigs. Instead, accommodation and equipment are chooser to suit the type of management system adopted. However, there are certain similar principles and practices in most systems. These originate from the fact that most pig units will contain pigs of different ages and classes as show in Figure 10.26

Farrowing-Suckling Pens
In small and medium scale intensive pig production units a combined farrowing, suckling and rearing pen is normally used. The sow is brought to this pen one week before farrowing and stays there together with her litter for 5 to 8 weeks when the piglets are weaned by removing the sow. The sow is often confined in a farrowing crate a few days before, and up to a week after birth to reduce piglet mortality caused by overlaying or trampling. Systems 1 and II in Figure 10.27.
Early weaning after a suckling period of 5 to 6 weeks or even less can only be recommended where management and housing is of good standard.
The piglets remain in the farrowing pen after weaning and until they are 12 to 14 weeks of age or weigh 25 to 30 kg.
Group keeping of farrowing-suckling sows that have given birth within a 2 to 3 week interval is possible, but is unusual in intensive production. However, there are few acceptance problems and the litters cross-suckle and mix freely. The pen should have at least 6m² deep litter bedding per sow, with an additional creep area of 1m².
In a large scale unit, which has a separate farrowing house, sometimes either of the following two alternative systems ate practiced instead of the system described above:
The first alternative (System III in Figure 10.27) is similar to the system already described, but the piglets are moved two weeks after weaning to a weaner pen where they may remain either until they are 12 to 14 weeks of age (25 to 30 kg) or until 18 to 20 weeks of age (45 to 55 kg). Note that the piglets should always remain in the farrowing/ suckling pen for a further 1 to 2 weeks after the sow has been removed so that they are not subjected to any new environmental or disease stress at the same time as they are weaned. The weaning pens can contain one litter or up to 30 to 40 pigs. The pigs are often fed 'ad libitum'.
In the second alternative showing (System IV in Figure 10.27) the sow is placed in a farrowing crate in a small pen one week prior to birth. Two weeks after farrowing the sow and the litter are moved to a larger suckling pen. The piglets may remain in this pen until 12 to 14 weeks of age or be transferred to weaner accommodation two weeks after weaning.
Dry Sow Pens
After weaning a sow will normally come on heat within 5 to 7 days and then at 3 week intervals until successful mating. The average weaning to conception interval can vary between 8-20 days depending on management. In the period until pregnancy has been ascertained the sow is best kept in a pen or stall in close proximity to the boar pen.
Gestating sows are kept in yards or pens in groups of up to 10 to 12 sows, that will farrow within a 2 to 3 week interval. They can also be kept in individual pens confined in stalls or tethered in stalls.
Weaner and Fattening Pens
The weaners, whether they come from a farrowing pen or a weaner pen, will at 12 to 14 weeks of age be sufficiently hardened to go to a growing/finishing pen. Finishing can be accomplished either in one stage in a growing/ finishing pen from 25 kg to 90 kg - systems 1 and IV in Figure 10.27 or in two stages so that the pigs are kept in a smaller growing pen until they weigh 50 to 60 kg and are then moved to a larger finishing pen where they remain until they reach marketable weight. System II in Figure 10.27. In large scale production the pigs are arranged into groups of equal size and sex when moved into the growing/finishing pen. Although finishing pigs are sometimes kept in groups of 30 or more, pigs in a group of 9 to 12, or even less, show better growth performance in intensive systems. An alternative, where growing and finishing are carried out in the same facility, is to start about 12 pigs in the pen and later, during the finishing period, reduce the number to 9 by taking out the biggest or smallest pigs from each pen.
Replacement Pens
In intensive systems a sow will, on average, produce 3 to 6 litters before she is culled because of infertility, low productivity or age. Young breeding stock should be separated from the rest of the litter at about 3 months of age, since they should be less intensively fed than the fatterning pigs. Gilts are first covered when they are 7 to 9 months of age or weight 105 to 120 kg. After mating they can either be kept in the same pen up to 1 week before farrowing, or kept in the gestating sow accommodation, but in a separate group.
Boars in the tropics are usually quiet if run with other boars or with pregnant sows, but may develop vicious habits if shut up alone.
Determining the Number of Pens and Stalls Required in a Pig Unit
One objective in planning a pig unit is to balance the accommodation between the various ages and numbers of pigs. Ideally, each pen should be fully occupied at all times, allowing only for a cleaning and sanitation period of about 7 days between successive groups.
In the following example the number of different pens required in a 14-sow herd, where 8 week weaning is practised, will be determined.
I Determine the farrowing interval and number of farrowings per year.
Average weaning to conception interval 20 days
Gestation 114 days
Suckling period (7 x 8 weeks) 56 days
Farrowing interval 190 days
Number of farrowings per sow and year 365 / 190 = 1.9
2 Determine the number of farrowing pens.
The piglets remain in the farrowing pen until 12 weeks of age.
Before farrowing 7 days
Suckling period 56 days
Rearing of weaners 28 days
Cleaning and sanitation of pen 7 days
Occupation per cycle 98 days
Thus one farrowing pen can be used for: 365 / 98 = 3.7 farrowings per year.
A 14 sow herd with an average of 1.9 farrowings per sow and year requires (14 x 19) / 3.7 = 7 farrowing pens.
3 Determine the number of servicing/ gestating pens.
Average weaning to conception interval 20 days
Gestation period less 7 days in farrowing pen 107 days
Occupancy per cycle 134 days
Thus one place in the servicing/gestation accommodation can be used for: 365/ 134 = 2.7 farrowings per year.
With a total of 27 farrowings a year
27/2.7 = 10 places would be required.
4 Determine the number of places for replacement stock.
Presume the sows on average get 5 litters, then 20 percent of all litters will be from gilts.
Rearing of breeding stock (12 to 35 weeks) 168 days
Gestation less 7 days in farrowing pen 107 days
Occupancy per cycle 282 days
About 30% more animals are separated than the required number of gilts thus the required number of places in the 14 sow herd will be
(14 x l.9 x 0.2 x 1.3 x 282) / 365 = 6 places

(1) (2) (3) ... (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (Reply)

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.