Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,149 members, 7,849,581 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 03:39 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (146) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (681262 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bukolacole(m): 6:06pm On May 14, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Done. The visas should be ready next Friday at the VI collection center. Here's the instruction sheet for pickups.
Thank you so much ma, but the problem is my phone can't open the link to read the instructions ma, could you forward the instructions to my Dad's mail and as well as the payment for the green card form? Thank you ma.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by sirk111: 6:24pm On May 14, 2015
Thanks so much ma, im very, very grateful and God bless u the more and entire family ma. I `ll be expecting the scan email tomorrow ma, so that i could just quickly arrange and go to Atlanta GA tomorrow, submit it and have my passport back. God bless smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:38pm On May 14, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Sorry, this is the type of question we do not answer.

Dear V. O,

Thanks for even reading through and responding to my post.
I would keep hope alive.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Frugality2477: 6:38pm On May 14, 2015
Good day vo,
Your are indeed an oasis in the desert, I applied for a US visa while my wife was in the U.S. To give birth to our child but was denied a visa, fast forward I want to visit the USA now and I want to apply for a visa but my major challenge now is that we are yet to offset the hospital bill as we opted for a payment plan such that it will be convenient for us though we have paid over $8000 since the birth was through Caesarian operations. Please can I apply now.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by oluwatosinjosh(m): 7:03pm On May 14, 2015
Hi,

I have been denial of my F-1 student visa twice, the case have been under section 214(b).

Pls how can I resolve this Ties issues??
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by babbs45: 8:47pm On May 14, 2015
wizzy11:
Hi V. O,

I see you have done so much work advising people on this thread. Thanks for your time and advice.
I am a prospective Msc student (Who's been offered a tuition waiver i.e Graduate assitantship). I was denied yesterday,
(the Consulate officer never asked for my I-20 or Knew i was on scholarship) she only asked.

What sch : I answered,

Let me have you Dad's Bank statement: I presented the GT bank statement since i am on scholarship.

She went through it, next thing was she offered me A sheet (Denied under Section 214(b).

I was dumbfounded. (Well i take some blame not going with My Dad's other bank statements/ His Company Documents and other documents. I felt one bank statement would do since i'm on scholarship.)

I have reapplied again and booked for another Interview in a week time.

Kindly advice. Would i have been wrong to have told her i'm on scholarship, since she did not ask?
On my Next interview is it pertinent i make mention of it to the Consulate officer?

Thanks.

https://www.nairaland.com/2310954/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part/3#33737106
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by dcpromo: 12:50am On May 15, 2015
Dear Visa Officer,

You are so nice to everyone on this forum, irrespective of the question(s) being asked. I bet if all the participants on this forum would see you face to face, guess what? We won't let go of you, due to your kindness! I strongly believe that being interactive is your passion! All i can say is, keep up the good work! All of us here have anonymously voted you the Consular/Visa officer of the century! We pray for you daily!

There is something i would like to know, if you don't mind, you are being addressed as Ma, Madam and Ma'am on this forum, however, nothing here has told us your gender.
Are you a male or a female?
How do you want to be addressed?

You responded to a participant's question on issue about Affidavit of Support(AOS) That if these forms were previously submitted, there's no need to bring them, My wife's interview is coming up on June the 4th, if i had come across your response before now, i could have saved myself almost about $180 used in sending all the documents that could have been easily scanned and email via FedeX 5 days ago.

It looks like most if not all the interview arrival time is 0630.
What is your take on that?
0630 is pretty too early and dark, some people have been robbed and dispossessed of their belongings including their international passport and all documents needed for the interview as well.

One thing still remains a mystery in the interviewee's mind.
That mystery is, what and what will the interviewer be asking about?
For CR1 and IR1 visa applicants, can you please shed some light on that?

Looking forward to reading your response!

dcpromo:
Dear Visa Officer,

Thank you very much for responding to my questions, i appreciated all that. To my uttermost surprise, we received an interview date today! Guess what? i have been gyrating ever since! I can't wait.

Below are some things i would love to know.

(a)Let's assume that we get done on time with the medical exams and have the result handy, is it okay if i email the IV section and request an early interview date?
(b)Talking about the medical result, is it mandatory to attend the interview with the Xray result that is always enclosed in that huge envelope or just only the sealed envelope? I know that the sealed envelope is mandatory.
(c) Is the immigrant visa application part 1 and 2 filled online be printed out and be brought to the visa interview or just only the confirmation page that is needed?

Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:32am On May 15, 2015
lizziepeks:
My approved I-129fiance petition has been approved and sent to NVC I called today to ask for my case number and realized my case number starts with LND meaning London embassy instead of Lagos despite putting in the application that my choice of embassy is Lagos I have called them and they have asked me to send an email but I read online that they take 60days to reply back I am so fed up I have no idea of what to do next and advice would be greatly appreciated

My advice is to send an e-mail, as they request, and to ask them to please expedite their reply, as the error was not on your side.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:33am On May 15, 2015
bukolacole:
Thank you so much ma, but the problem is my phone can't open the link to read the instructions ma, could you forward the instructions to my Dad's mail and as well as the payment for the green card form? Thank you ma.

Done! And you can access the USCIS LPR card fee instructions at http://www.uscis.gov/forms/uscis-immigrant-fee .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:34am On May 15, 2015
sirk111:
Thanks so much ma, im very, very grateful and God bless u the more and entire family ma. I `ll be expecting the scan email tomorrow ma, so that i could just quickly arrange and go to Atlanta GA tomorrow, submit it and have my passport back. God bless smiley

Check your e-mail -- you should be all set!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:35am On May 15, 2015
Frugality2477:
Good day vo,
Your are indeed an oasis in the desert, I applied for a US visa while my wife was in the U.S. To give birth to our child but was denied a visa, fast forward I want to visit the USA now and I want to apply for a visa but my major challenge now is that we are yet to offset the hospital bill as we opted for a payment plan such that it will be convenient for us though we have paid over $8000 since the birth was through Caesarian operations. Please can I apply now.

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:36am On May 15, 2015
oluwatosinjosh:
Hi,

I have been denial of my F-1 student visa twice, the case have been under section 214(b).

Pls how can I resolve this Ties issues??

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening --but they're not going to be able to answer it. We're not here to give people tips on how to convince us that they qualify.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:57am On May 15, 2015
dcpromo:
Dear Visa Officer,

You are so nice to everyone on this forum, irrespective of the question(s) being asked. I bet if all the participants on this forum would see you face to face, guess what? We won't let go of you, due to your kindness! I strongly believe that being interactive is your passion! All i can say is, keep up the good work! All of us here have anonymously voted you the Consular/Visa officer of the century! We pray for you daily!

There is something i would like to know, if you don't mind, you are being addressed as Ma, Madam and Ma'am on this forum, however, nothing here has told us your gender.
Are you a male or a female?
How do you want to be addressed?

Definitely female. Americans tend to be pretty informal (at least, this American is), so you can call me whatever you like, as long as you don't call me late for dinner. [traditional American joke, there]

You responded to a participant's question on issue about Affidavit of Support(AOS) That if these forms were previously submitted, there's no need to bring them, My wife's interview is coming up on June the 4th, if i had come across your response before now, i could have saved myself almost about $180 used in sending all the documents that could have been easily scanned and email via FedeX 5 days ago.

Well, it is best to bring them if they're available, just in case. We do need original, signed AOS documents, not scanned or photocopied, so if they're not included in the petition, we'd have to ask for them.

It looks like most if not all the interview arrival time is 0630.
What is your take on that?
0630 is pretty too early and dark, some people have been robbed and dispossessed of their belongings including their international passport and all documents needed for the interview as well.

0630 is pretty early for us too, but from a traffic standpoint, the earlier we all start, the better. We are mindful of people's safety on our property and surroundings; beyond that, please do take normal precautions. As far as I know, crime affecting our applicants has been random, but if people are being targeted specifically because they are visa applicants, it would be very important to let us know that right away.

One thing still remains a mystery in the interviewee's mind.
That mystery is, what and what will the interviewer be asking about?
For CR1 and IR1 visa applicants, can you please shed some light on that?

I can't shed a lot of light on that, as unfortunately there is always a small segment of people who will be searching these forums for ways to convince us that their sham relationships are genuine. That's why you won't see us posting lists of questions you might expect, etc. etc. Just know that we'll be interested primarily in whether you can talk with a reasonable degree of familiarity about the petitioner and how your relationship developed. We don't expect people to know everything -- after all, my mom painted our kitchen bright yellow once and my dad didn't notice for six months. But when someone is simply unable to talk about his or her relationship, we have doubts.

Hope this helps!

7 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Colemaxgrl: 9:31am On May 15, 2015
VisaOfficer:

The case hasn't been uploaded to our system in Lagos yet, but that date and time sounds right. If you've already submitted the AOS and supporting documents, no need to bring them again - but if you do bring them, that's fine. smiley

Alright ma! Thanks in a billion times. However, my prayer and faith in Jehovah God still remains to allowing me the one lifetime opportunity to see your gracefully face that very day. And i will keep that memory for a lifetime. You have indeed been more than helpful. If there's any other way to describes how helpful you have been, then i will still be the first to speak it louder. May Jehovah God continues to strengthening you and keep you alive for a longer years to come.

Best of Regards,

David T. Maxwell.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by dcpromo: 12:03pm On May 15, 2015
Thanks! That really helped. You cracked me up a little bit about the painted kitchen your Dad did not notice! Trust me, i would've noticed that painted kitchen right on day one!

We love and appreciate you!

Remain blessed!

VisaOfficer:

Definitely female. Americans tend to be pretty informal (at least, this American is), so you can call me whatever you like, as long as you don't call me late for dinner. [traditional American joke, there]

Well, it is best to bring them if they're available, just in case. We do need original, signed AOS documents, not scanned or photocopied, so if they're not included in the petition, we'd have to ask for them.

0630 is pretty early for us too, but from a traffic standpoint, the earlier we all start, the better. We are mindful of people's safety on our property and surroundings; beyond that, please do take normal precautions. As far as I know, crime affecting our applicants has been random, but if people are being targeted specifically because they are visa applicants, it would be very important to let us know that right away.

I can't shed a lot of light on that, as unfortunately there is always a small segment of people who will be searching these forums for ways to convince us that their sham relationships are genuine. That's why you won't see us posting lists of questions you might expect, etc. etc. Just know that we'll be interested primarily in whether you can talk with a reasonable degree of familiarity about the petitioner and how your relationship developed. We don't expect people to know everything -- after all, my mom painted our kitchen bright yellow once and my dad didn't notice for six months. But when someone is simply unable to talk about his or her relationship, we have doubts.

Hope this helps!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by sirk111: 12:35pm On May 15, 2015
Good morning ma, you such an angel sent from God and God almighty will continue to bless u the more and entire family ma. I ve seen the email medical ma. Now im going to start preparing to go there at Atlanta GA, today. Will let u know here later ma!! thanks ma..

6 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by lizziepeks: 10:47pm On May 15, 2015
Ma in regards to my approved i-129f, I sent an email and mail but as of today I called NVC again to confirm if emails and mails had been received to my disdain the customer service lady told me it has been sent to london and that there nothing they can do from NVC that I have to email the U.S embassy in London to request for it to be sent to Lagos, Ma please what next, can the embassy in Lagos help at all and how long would this take Thank you Ma God Bless
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by HesInMe: 11:03pm On May 15, 2015
VisaOfficer:

... my mom painted our kitchen bright yellow once and my dad didn't notice for six months.

Epic. A vision of my future!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by mikolo80: 11:11pm On May 15, 2015
VisaOfficer:
Good morning, everyone! It looks like our previous thread was a casualty of the recent data loss, so I'm starting a new thread here. Nairaland, I missed you and am glad you're back!

I am a U.S. Foreign Service Officer working at the U.S. Consulate in Lagos, Nigeria, primarily handling Immigrant Visas and Diversity Visas (IVs and DVs). The purpose of this thread is to provide a forum for your questions about these types of visas. My colleagues and I will make every effort to answer all questions within two business days.

Please note that we cannot answer questions about specific cases, except as based on the information provided here in this discussion thread. Any responses
VisaOfficer
i am supposed to travel within 6months of bein issued an immigrant visa,and within 3months of tb test.

My question is can i travel for a few weeks and come back to tie up some loose ends and will another six months start running or can i be denied entry,same for the medical(tb test),will i have to pay for another tb test/medical test or what can i or can i not do once visa is issued
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by sohrabyy: 9:07am On May 16, 2015
Hi officer,

My father is a DV-2015 winner, and in the time of registration I was 20, when he visited his first letter in 1 May 2014, I was 20 years old too. I also was 20 years old when we filled ds-260 forms. But, I turned 21 in 15 July 2014. our case number is going to be current in July 2015, I want to ask you "am I protected by CSPA"?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by cadonal: 10:10am On May 16, 2015
Nairaland Forum
Welcome, cadonal: Edit Profile / SH / Followed Topics(1) / FB / L&S / Mentions(1) / FG / FS / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 1,360,081 members, 2,053,146 topics. Date: Saturday, 16 May 2015 at 09:44 AM / Logout(all)
Search
   Topics  Images   

(0) (of 1 pages)
Travel / Re: Immigrant Visa by ifegy: 11:42pm On May 15
cadonal:
Dear Sir,

Pls I receive an email from NVC in regards of Interview Letter, so my interview date is in two weeks time. I have with me MEDICAL RESULT, BIRTH CERTIFICATE, MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE, POLICE REPORT, PICTURES. Pls I want to know if there's any additional documents I should go with coz my spouse is living in US while am here in Nig.

Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by cadonal: 10:11am On May 16, 2015
Dear Sir,

Pls I receive an email from NVC in regards of Interview Letter, so my interview date is in two weeks time. I have with me MEDICAL RESULT, BIRTH CERTIFICATE, MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE, POLICE REPORT, PICTURES. Pls I want to know if there's any additional documents I should go with coz my spouse is living in US while am here in Nig.

Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by onemorestep: 9:55am On May 17, 2015
Dear V O,
My K1 visa file is on the way from NVC to Lagos, lgs2015612019. Hopefully, it will be received by next week or very soon. Here are my questions:
1) Am i to proceed with my medical exam and police report before receiving notices from consulate?
2) My surname is spelled incorrectly on passport(subiru) but it is spelled correctly on immigration paperwork (suberu). I tried to correct my passport in March but not successful. Should I complete ds160 with the same spelling of surname as passport? On website it states that a person will not be allowed in if name on ds160 matches passport.
3) I met in person my fiance within 4 months of knowing her (Nov 2014). She visited for 6 days. Due to her job, an officer with US uniformed services, her visited had to be short. We agreed that she will visited every 6 months until we r together. Now that I would most likely have interview in few weeks, she cannot get time off from work to come here. Will this be an issue since we only seen each other only once?

Thank you on any insight you can give.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by justwise(m): 9:59am On May 17, 2015
@Gbola2014:

Please allow the VO to answer all the questions asked here.

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by wittfanintnig: 10:02pm On May 17, 2015
Hello VO
Greetings from the agbodike's,once again want to use this opportunity to say thank you for responding to my last pose concerning our case,thank you as you take out time to help ease challenges regarding immigration process.

Still concerning an update on our case,it's being no change since your last respond on the 6/5/2015.

Even one of the email the consulate responded says we should contact uscis for future information and which my wife did some days ego and she was told told by NVC and uscis that our case is not with them.

We know and understand that cases 're different and in the same way they 're review and handled differently ,but honestly me and my wife we feet as if the consulate have forgotten about our case considering that the consulate yet to returned the case since the case is considered close at the consulate.

Please madam use your good office to tell us understand what is really or what is actually going with our case.once again thanks in advance.
Case Number LGS2014573016.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by zoomzu(f): 4:38am On May 18, 2015
Experts in the house, please I need your opinion before embarking on my application. I once denied a U.K visa on a flimsy excuses but could not appeal because my leave would have elapsed by the time the visa would be granted and I was not sure I would be able to travel with the six months period of the visa, at the same time I began my Post Graduate program within that period, that was why I decided not no appeal the refusal which was in 2013.

The case now is that my office is now sending 4 of us to a conference in both UK and U.S, all expenses paid by the office with DTA. The question now is that, I hope the initial refusal won't affect my application this time around?

Thank you for your guide.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:31am On May 18, 2015
lizziepeks:
Ma in regards to my approved i-129f, I sent an email and mail but as of today I called NVC again to confirm if emails and mails had been received to my disdain the customer service lady told me it has been sent to london and that there nothing they can do from NVC that I have to email the U.S embassy in London to request for it to be sent to Lagos, Ma please what next, can the embassy in Lagos help at all and how long would this take Thank you Ma God Bless

If you e-mail London and cc us, requesting that the case be transferred, then as soon as London receives it, they'll send it to us. I'd guess the mix-up will add around two weeks to your processing time, but certainly no more than that.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:40am On May 18, 2015
mikolo80:

i am supposed to travel within 6months of bein issued an immigrant visa,and within 3months of tb test.

My question is can i travel for a few weeks and come back to tie up some loose ends and will another six months start running or can i be denied entry,same for the medical(tb test),will i have to pay for another tb test/medical test or what can i or can i not do once visa is issued

Immigrant visas are single-entry visas, which means they can only be used once. When you enter the United States, your visa will be stamped, and the stamp serves as evidence that you're a Legal Permanent Resident. However, the stamp in your passport is not a travel document; if you want to travel outside the United States, it's best to wait until you receive your Legal Permanent Resident card. Airlines may not allow you to board if all you have is a stamped visa.

Every week we see people who left the U.S. before they received their LPR cards. They don't realize that that's a problem until they try to board their flight. So they have to come see us to apply for a boarding foil, which delays their travel plans for several days.

As for the medical exam, once you become a Legal Permanent Resident, from our point of view you're good -- you won't need another medical report to get a travel document from us.

Please take a look at these links:

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/whti-program-background/docs-air-travel

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/international-travel-permanent-resident
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:47am On May 18, 2015
sohrabyy:
Hi officer,

My father is a DV-2015 winner, and in the time of registration I was 20, when he visited his first letter in 1 May 2014, I was 20 years old too. I also was 20 years old when we filled ds-260 forms. But, I turned 21 in 15 July 2014. our case number is going to be current in July 2015, I want to ask you "am I protected by CSPA"?

Unfortunately, you're not protected. Your CSPA-adjusted age is over 21.

The CSPA age adjustment period is the same for all Diversity Visa applicants. For FY 2015, it’s 213 days (or 7 months and 1 day). That’s because the CSPA age adjustment period for the DV is the first date of registration (01 OCT 2013) to the date notification became available (01 MAY 2014). This period will not change for DV 2015 and will be applied for all CSPA calculations for DV derivatives for DV 2015.

The other key date is when the visa became available to the principal applicant. That will be the first day of the month in which his/her priority date became current. (This is different from other immigrant visa cases where the priority is based on the petition filing date for family based cases or the approval of the labor certificate for employment based cases.) In your case, a visa will be available as of 01 JUL 2015. On that date, your actual age will be 21 years 349 days (or 21 years 11 months 16 days). Unfortunately, subtracting 213 days from 21 years 349 days leaves you with a CSPA-adjusted age of 21 years 136 days, which means that you have aged out of the case and cannot be included as a derivative.

(1) (2) (3) ... (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.