Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,532 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:22 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (159) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (679648 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) (161) (162) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Spidyy: 9:42pm On Jun 13, 2015
Hello VO,

I applied for a B1/B2 visa in Nov 2012 for a conference in Jan 18 2013 after undergoing admin processing for 2 months I was called the visa was issued however , I was on a n assignment and I couldn't send in my passport for the visa to be stamped. I submitted my passport after the conference date which on Feb 14 2013 but it was refused.

Then in June of the same year 2013 I applied for a visit visa I was also denied.

Now , I am going for a masters degree program in a University in CT , I would like to know what my chances are really. I am married no kids. I am sponsoring myself.

Oh and the I-20 from the school just arrived.

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by LikoGee: 2:06am On Jun 14, 2015
Dear V.O,
I'm glad 2 inform you I went for my visa appointment on the 12th of June and my immigrant Visa was approved.Even tho I have to wait a bit longer b4 I pick up my visa due to the computer issues,bt its no worries knowing d main hurdle has been crossed.I really hope the problem gets fixed soon tho.Can't wait to hold my wife once again and with our baby on the way,I have never been happier.
Giving it a try posting d temporary issue I had on this forum just a few weeks ago(and dt was my 1st time) and ur prompt and precise response and help to my enquiry helped in the scheduling of. My 2nd appointment faster than myself and my wife ever thought and my visa approved.I just want to say a HUGE thank you because just simply doing your job, has made myself and my wife one of d happiest couples on earth.I wish I could put a face to u to say thank u in person bt my heart will always pray for you.You av simply being an angel in disguise.once again,I hope this computer problem gets fixed in a few so I'll be with my wife before the month is over GOD willing.GOD bless u V.O

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by queenkaf: 8:00am On Jun 14, 2015
Hi vo..

How is your weekend going...

I am gathering information for my interview and i got a foto album for the pictures because i want it to be neat and also tell a story, is it allowed..

Also i want to do the same for our chat logs, cards and western union receipt i wanna put dem in a clear file so d interviewer can flip through easily....is it allowed.

I was going to come with tons of chat log but i realized that less is more... grin
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by babbs45: 9:57am On Jun 14, 2015
Spidyy:
Hello VO,

I applied for a B1/B2 visa in Nov 2012 for a conference in Jan 18 2013 after undergoing admin processing for 2 months I was called the visa was issued however , I was on a n assignment and I couldn't send in my passport for the visa to be stamped. I submitted my passport after the conference date which on Feb 14 2013 but it was refused.

Then in June of the same year 2013 I applied for a visit visa I was also denied.

Now , I am going for a masters degree program in a University in CT , I would like to know what my chances are really. I am married no kids. I am sponsoring myself.

Thank you.

https://www.nairaland.com/2310954/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by mondayutum(m): 10:32am On Jun 15, 2015
Its great to be in the usa with your loved once I have gotten two jobs thanks to the vo for the assistance

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by lizziepeks: 10:47am On Jun 15, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Sorry, I'm not in Lagos at the moment! You could e-mail LagosIV@state.gov and ask.

Good Morning ma, I sent the email and got a reply this morning it stated that they didn't have it yet *deep sigh* Ma I have booked an interview for July 9th with the hope that my physical file would be in Lagos by June now am just so worried I have no idea why its taking so long for the physical case to get to Lagos, and the website keeps saying ready for interview, Ma is there anything I can do like sending a check for premium/Express delivery via dhl for it to be delivered or should I just forget about the possibility of an interview for when have scheduled it for? worried much
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 2:38am On Jun 16, 2015
I am the USC to a Nigerian K1 beneficiary. I have a few questions:

1. I filed the K1 after 1 meeting in Ghana together. The petition has been approved. I will visit again very soon. Will we have the opportunity, upon answering Packet 3, to side load pictures with my visit to Nigeria where I meet his family?

2. I front-loaded all notarized sponsorship paperwork (four years tax returns, etc). Does beneficiary need to supply this again at interview?

3. He was a student in China and now cant get the Chinese police certificate to save his life, will this place him on administrative processing at the interview if not approve-able on this aspect or will it outright be denied for not having the Chinese police certificate? He was only in China a year and left so he wouldn't risk overstaying.

4. Suggested dress...... I know this sounds a bit neurotic, but I am even nervous about him dressing too formally. Is American casual frowned upon?

I love him so much and want him her with me and my son, is there anything else that we can do to increase our chances? I stated all the red flags that I could think of, but I wonder does anyone really read them.. I am a nervous wreck.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Superflex: 2:53am On Jun 16, 2015
Dear VO,
I'm a beneficiary of an F2b (family-based immigrant visa petition) already scheduled for a visa interview in July 2015. Now that I have a child, I'm wondering if my child does qualify to apply for an immigrant visa with me as a dependant, even though she wasn't included in the original petition, as she was unborn at the time. Please bear in mind, I'm still single/unmarried.
1a. If she does qualify to apply. How do I add her name to the petition since my case is currently with the U.S. Consular post in Lagos? And what are the documents I need to provide?
1b. Does she definitely need to apply for an immigrant visa at the same time with me? If the answer is No, then...
1c. What's the timeframe allowed for her to apply for a visa incase she is to join me later based on same petition?
Will truly appreciate your advice and quick response.
Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:00am On Jun 16, 2015
Hi VO,

I received a phone call last week from US embassy informing me that my interview (supposed to be in 3 days time ) will be reschedule to a date in July (3 weeks away). The lady told me that the embassy doesnt send an email but only call the candidate.

Why is it that most immigrant visa originally schedule for June was reschedule to most Saturdays in July (July 2nd, 11th, 18th)? Looks odd that its only most immigrant visa that was only reschedule ( i scheduled 2 of my siblings and my mum for a non immigrant interview on the same day and their interview was not reschedule )? What is the probability that the few immigrant visa interview originally schedule for July will not be reschedule again or move to August (just like the case of most interview in June and last 2 weeks of May)?

I know that all global consulate are experiencing a computer hitch right now (computer issue started last week ). But, the constant rescheduling started before the computer issue started. Also, the same issue supposed to affect the non immigrant visa interview but their interview was not reschedule whereas the immigrant visa was constantly reschedule.

95 days from case complete to new interview day........that is a long time to wait for interview. It means that people that have NVC case complete in April and May will do their interview before people that have earlier case complete at NVC in March.

Sight embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed ............. I know i am ranting but, i just lost a good job offer that i secure while in Nigeria (US employer gave me a conditional offer based on the fact that i am supposed to be in the country in May, they move it to June because of the interview originally schedule for June and now with the rescheduling, they told me they cant wait till August for me to start ). Also, i work in a specialized field and 2-4 months gap in employment history is not good for my profession. Now, i have to wait for a new reschedule date, if approved, travel to USA and start looking for another job (please, try to understand my reason for ranting).
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by njioma: 2:14pm On Jun 16, 2015
Where is our dear VO? We miss her ohhh

5 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by missek: 4:29pm On Jun 16, 2015
Hello VO.

God bless you for all you do for us on here. It is not easy going through this IV process and solid guidance is a treasure to find.
Thank you for the sacrifice of your time and knowledge.

I have been reading this thread for a while now, but I have a question of my own today.

My husband petitioned for me. He is in the US military. All was going well by our estimated timelines till the computer glitches at NVC started.
All our plans since are beginning to unhinge.

We applied for military base housing since we cannot both board up in his current residence.
Because of the NVC computer issues, we are still waiting to fill the DS 260, after which we understand we wait up to 30 days to have it reviewed. We have already received a checklist for the DS 260...all other documents submitted have been reviewed and are okay.

We have surprisingly (and unusually) been offered base housing last week! if we decline, we get to the bottom of the now huge list again! if we accept, I have to be with my husband and move in by end of August. This is however a very good offer for us and we have been lucky!
Its just a mess for us right though and we are thinking of requesting an expedite for this reason.

By your experience, do you think our expedite would be granted? Does our situation qualify?
I ask you because I read somewhere that expedite requests are routed through the beneficiary's embassy before a decision is made. I know this is not a life or death situation, but for us, it presents hardship and disorganization of our life and where we are going to settle.

Please help. No one knows when NVC computer issues would clear and the backlog I can imagine is huge...it's pure angst. We could have waited out the normal process but the curveballs thrown at us has complicated our situation greatly.

In anticipation of your reply.....
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bamitaleA4: 10:05pm On Jun 16, 2015
Dear VO,
Thanks for helping Immigrant visa Applicants so far. Sir, my Ex-wife won US lottery in 2005 as single entry and we adjusted our status to married but before our visa Interview Appointment, we had misunderstanding which led to separation and later divorce. The issue is that she entered for interview alone and she was refused based on information that got to me. Sir, i was told that she told the consular that i was death and that was the reason i didn't come for the interview with her but she did not go with any evidence like death certificate, obituary, burial pictures etc to prove her point. Sir, i had to move on with life and later remarried to another US Based Lady and the relationship is with a female child of 3years old now and my wife got her citizenship just last month(May,2015) and she ll commence filing for me, sir, hope my past record won't affect my visa chance and we ll appreciate your candid advice for us to achieve success. Thank you sir. From Oyindamola Ajayi.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:41am On Jun 17, 2015
HesInMe:
More delays ahead? I'm guessing this affects IVs as well...

State Dept suspends overseas passport, visa issuance - Associated Press

The State Department said Friday it has been forced to suspend the issuance of U.S. passports and visas at its overseas diplomatic missions due to a glitch that has hit one of its computer databases.

In a statement posted to its travel.state.gov website, the department said a hardware failure in its Consular Consolidated Database glitch has left overseas embassies and consulates unable to print visas, regular passports and other travel documents. This means that people who submitted online applications for passports and visas on or after June 9 will likely experience delays in processing, it said....

"We cannot bypass the legal requirements necessary to screen visa applicants before we issue visas for travel," it said. "As a result, there is a backlog of visas waiting to be processed. We are working as quickly as possible to resolve the issue and to clear the backlog.... Security measures prevent consular officers from printing a passport, report of birth abroad or visa until the case completes the required national security checks," it said.

More details about the failure were not immediately available.

The consular database was taken down last July by another technical glitch that had the same effect but the department said the current issue is unrelated. The department said it was working "urgently to identify the problem and correct it."

"We expect the systems to be fully operational again soon," it said, but offered no timeline.

Ah, I was just logging on to tell people about this. Looks like I spoke much too soon when I said I didn't foresee having to postpone any more interviews. Here's the latest from the U.S. Department of State:

Technological Systems Issue

June 16, 2015

Passport/Visa Systems Errors

The Bureau of Consular Affairs continues to address technical problems with our visa systems. Some visa applicants will experience delays in receiving visas. Others will be contacted directly to reschedule their appointments. Passports are still being processed.
This issue is not specific to any particular country or visa category; this is a global issue. We do not believe these problems stem from any cyber-security hacking issues.

Our border security responsibilities are critical to the visa process. We cannot bypass the legal requirements to screen visa applicants before we issue visas for travel. We are assisting visa applicants with urgent humanitarian travel, and adoption cases are being processed. Individuals with humanitarian travel needs should contact their nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

Q: What caused this outage? Was it a malicious action or hack?
There is no evidence the problem is cyber security related.

Q: How long before you restore full system functionality?
Overseas passports are being issued. Public and private sectors experts are working around the clock to correct the problem, but we do not expect the system will be online before next week.

Q: How many travelers are affected by this outage?
This is a global issue and is having impact on our consular operations. We are in daily communication with consular operations worldwide to assess the evolving impact and provide guidance, including information for the traveling public.

Q: Once operational, how will cases be prioritized?
Once the systems are fully operational, we will work as quickly as possible to clear the backlog of pending visa cases.
We apologize to applicants and recognize that this may cause hardship to applicants waiting for visas.

http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/english/news/technological-systems-issue.html

I'm chagrined that this happened while I was out of the office, but I guess there's nothing I could do about it if I were there. I'm traveling back tomorrow / Thursday and will be back in the office on Monday. I'll keep you posted as I hear anything new, but won't be online again until Monday. (After this trip I promise to hold very still and stay in Nigeria until the end of my tour!)

Off to answer the questions I've neglected........

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:42am On Jun 17, 2015
Xfinity:
Hi Visa Officer. I need ur help pls, i have two kids who were interviewed for immigrant visa since october 2014 and still under administrative processing, its now 8 months after the interview. I just wanna know whats going on please help

Please e-mail us at LagosIV@state.gov so we can look into the case. Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:45am On Jun 17, 2015
dcpromo:
Dear Visa Officer,

I recently relocated, my wife has already picked up her visa as well.

Can i still email the Lagos IV section for an address update even after case is done with at the Consulate?

Is it also advisable to update the address with the(DHS) Department of Homeland Security at the port of entry?

Will i be calling/notifying the (SSA) Social Security Administration to make sure that her social security card will be sent to the new address?

Please respond accordingly whenever you have a moment!

Appreciated!

Hi dcpromo! No, no need to e-mail us with an address update. Feel free to let the port of entry agents know, but they likely won't ask. You should probably contact USCIS directly, especially if you haven't paid the $165 green card fee yet, so they know where to mail it. Notifying the SSA is also a good idea.

Let us know how things go as you two settle in! smiley

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:47am On Jun 17, 2015
teefah80:
Hello.
This is as regards an F3 petition. I have an interview with my family at the end of July.
I recently had a baby who was not on the original application.
I have sent an email to the consulate in Lagos and they say he has been added to it.
I was told to fill a DS 260 online for him. I was also told I will pay $325 on the day of the interview for him.
my question is how do I fill a DS 260 for him online when I have not paid the required fees. When I sign in on ceac.state.gov, I don't see his name on the list.
Thanks in advance

Hmm. If we've added the baby to the case, his name ought to be visible to you online. Please send us another e-mail and ask us to contact our helpdesk so they can troubleshoot. They always ask for a screenshot, so if you could send a screenshot of what you see when you try to access the application, that would be helpful. Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:50am On Jun 17, 2015
simi2015:
Good morning Ma'am VO,

I would like to make some inquiries. My husband, a US citizen, filed for me when I was in country A (for studies), hoping I'd be called for interview before I left country A, but I wasn't. Now am in country B (my country of birth) and have been assigned a case number different from the one I was given when I was in country A (that was after we notified NVC). I do want to know if this is already in your records as my DS-260 confirmation page has a different case number from the one on my interview letter?

In addition, my husband has moved to a different state (work related), meaning you still have his old address. My question is would it affect us at the POE or we are good? If not, what can we do?

Hoping to read from you soonest. Thank you very much.

Hi! It seems odd to me that your confirmation page has a different case number than the number on your interview letter. My advice is to e-mail the IV Unit where you want your interview to be held, and ask them (us?) if they (we?) are the post that's processing your case and of the case is there yet.

Your husband's change of address shouldn't be an issue, although you'll probably want to mention it to the interviewing officer. The officer will probably ask you where your husband lives, which will give you an opening to explain. But it shouldn't affect the processing of your case at all.

Good luck!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:53am On Jun 17, 2015
Joani:
Good day VO. Please I want to know if this issue is going to hamper my getting an immigrant visa and what steps I can take to prevent such.

Here's the issue, my names are:
Surname: Akinrewa
First given name: Biodu
Other names : Emma, Fida.

The above names were exactly used for my immigrant visa application, however my international passport only bears Akinrewa biodu emma (without fida).
Please does it matter?
Are they going to see this as a problem at the embassy & how can I remedy this please?

Someone suggested I swear an affidavit in support of that. Please will this help?
Thanks.

NB: i've tried going back to the immigration office to include the name Fida in my international passport, but it's almost impossible to do so cos I don't have the amount of money it'll cost & they've also informed me that my request might still be denied even after spending such huge amount of money.
What do I do please?

Thank you.

The situation you describe shouldn't be a problem. It would only be a problem if you said your name was Akinrewa Biodu Emma Fida but all your documents said your name was something completely different, like Ellen Jennifer Chioma Williamson. Then we'd have lots of questions. smiley But it's okay if one of your names doesn't appear on your passport -- as long as you're okay with us printing the visa to match the name in your passport, without Fida. Hope this helps.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:54am On Jun 17, 2015
ammicable:

Thank you very much. Tell your technicians to restart the systems, sometimes its as simple as that cheesy

Like the South Park episode where The Internet breaks, and Kyle unplugs it and plugs it back in to make it work again......

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:03am On Jun 17, 2015
noibithepr:
Hello VisaOfficer,

Good afternoon and how is your weekend going?
A Woman is filling for husband from the United state of america.
Pls, what is the minimum and maximum amount of money (USD) that must be in the petition's bank account
in the US when filling the affidavit of support form (AOS) in the section where they ask if she's is taking responsibility of the husband expenses before he gets a Job.

Also, what are all other document to support the AOS
He was told Police fingerprints, marriage certificate and birth certificate.
What other details?

As well, what will be the next thing that will be required and for how long will it take for America Embassy here in lagos nigeria to schedule interview for him when the affidavit of support (AOS) form is submitted and all the pmt that was asked to pay has been paid?

Pls help me out with what to know....

Thanks

We like to see three years of tax documents (1040s and W2s) to support the claims made on the AOS. You can find the 2015 poverty guidelines here: http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/15poverty.cfm Keep in mind that the petitioner (or joint sponsor) needs to show an income of at least 125% of the poverty level for his or her household size. So if someone in the U.S. is supporting two children, and is petitioning for her brother and his spouse, that's five people total; so the person needs to show that she earns at least $35,513 (125% of $28,410, the level for a household of five).

If the person doesn't earn $35,513, she'll need to show that she has assets of at least five times the amount she doesn't have. That is, if she only has $25,513, that's $10,000 less than she needs to support five people, so she needs to show assets of $50,000. And those have to be liquid assets, such as money in the bank; houses don't count, for a variety of reasons. For example, most young people don't own their houses; they're still paying them off. And most people aren't going to sell their houses if they have trouble supporting their families. Etc.

Once the case is documentarily complete at NVC, it'll be scheduled for the next available interview date at post -- usually around two months out.

Hope this helps!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:06am On Jun 17, 2015
Spidyy:
Hello VO,

Thank you.

This sounds like a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:07am On Jun 17, 2015
LikoGee:
Dear V.O,
I'm glad 2 inform you I went for my visa appointment on the 12th of June and my immigrant Visa was approved.Even tho I have to wait a bit longer b4 I pick up my visa due to the computer issues,bt its no worries knowing d main hurdle has been crossed.I really hope the problem gets fixed soon tho.Can't wait to hold my wife once again and with our baby on the way,I have never been happier.
Giving it a try posting d temporary issue I had on this forum just a few weeks ago(and dt was my 1st time) and ur prompt and precise response and help to my enquiry helped in the scheduling of. My 2nd appointment faster than myself and my wife ever thought and my visa approved.I just want to say a HUGE thank you because just simply doing your job, has made myself and my wife one of d happiest couples on earth.I wish I could put a face to u to say thank u in person bt my heart will always pray for you.You av simply being an angel in disguise.once again,I hope this computer problem gets fixed in a few so I'll be with my wife before the month is over GOD willing.GOD bless u V.O

Glad to hear this! Thank you for the kind words!

I sincerely, sincerely hope the computer problems get fixed soon too. cry

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:11am On Jun 17, 2015
queenkaf:
Hi vo..

How is your weekend going...

I am gathering information for my interview and i got a foto album for the pictures because i want it to be neat and also tell a story, is it allowed..

Also i want to do the same for our chat logs, cards and western union receipt i wanna put dem in a clear file so d interviewer can flip through easily....is it allowed.

I was going to come with tons of chat log but i realized that less is more... grin

It all sounds good! Feel free to bring in a few chats that span the whole relationship, so the officer can see that you have evidence that covers the entire time span.

I know that you would never do this, but I want to take this opportunity to ask a favor of everyone: Please, no explicit / adult e-mails or photos (if you know what I mean and I think you do). I know when I come across a very dirty e-mail or photo, it makes me not want to look at any of the rest of the evidence submitted, just in case anything else pops up that might burn my innocent eyes and fingers. smiley Also, that stuff does not make us think it's definitely a real relationship; it kinda makes us think people are trying way too hard. Just saying. Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:14am On Jun 17, 2015
lizziepeks:

Good Morning ma, I sent the email and got a reply this morning it stated that they didn't have it yet *deep sigh* Ma I have booked an interview for July 9th with the hope that my physical file would be in Lagos by June now am just so worried I have no idea why its taking so long for the physical case to get to Lagos, and the website keeps saying ready for interview, Ma is there anything I can do like sending a check for premium/Express delivery via dhl for it to be delivered or should I just forget about the possibility of an interview for when have scheduled it for? worried much

I'd say keep you July 9 interview for now. I'll be back in the office next week; if you could e-mail us then, I'll try to keep an eye out for your e-mail so I can follow up. Hang in there!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:23am On Jun 17, 2015
tomyka81:
I am the USC to a Nigerian K1 beneficiary. I have a few questions:

1. I filed the K1 after 1 meeting in Ghana together. The petition has been approved. I will visit again very soon. Will we have the opportunity, upon answering Packet 3, to side load pictures with my visit to Nigeria where I meet his family?

Your fiancé can bring additional evidence (including those photos) to the interview. smiley

2. I front-loaded all notarized sponsorship paperwork (four years tax returns, etc). Does beneficiary need to supply this again at interview?

No, those documents *should* be included with the petition. If you really want to, though, you can send him another I-134 to bring with him to the interview, just in case. (It's not mandatory.)

3. He was a student in China and now cant get the Chinese police certificate to save his life, will this place him on administrative processing at the interview if not approve-able on this aspect or will it outright be denied for not having the Chinese police certificate? He was only in China a year and left so he wouldn't risk overstaying.

I checked http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/fees/reciprocity-by-country/CH.html which says of China, "Persons should apply for a certificate of no criminal record at the local Public Security Bureau (PSB) (or certain types of employers such as state owned enterprises), then make application to the notary office for a certificate based on the PSB document." To me, that sounds like someone would have to return to China to apply, which would create unnecessary hardship. I can't remember the name of the form off the top of my head, but there is a form that the officer can submit in lieu of a police certificate when the applicant really, truly can't get a police certificate.... please ask me again on Monday and I'll look it up and post it here for you. grin

4. Suggested dress...... I know this sounds a bit neurotic, but I am even nervous about him dressing too formally. Is American casual frowned upon?

grin Whatever he feels comfortable in is fine.

I love him so much and want him her with me and my son, is there anything else that we can do to increase our chances? I stated all the red flags that I could think of, but I wonder does anyone really read them.. I am a nervous wreck.

It sounds like you've covered all the bases. If he can talk about the relationship in a credible way, that's much more important than how he dresses or what evidence he brings with him.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:26am On Jun 17, 2015
Superflex:
Dear VO,
I'm a beneficiary of an F2b (family-based immigrant visa petition) already scheduled for a visa interview in July 2015. Now that I have a child, I'm wondering if my child does qualify to apply for an immigrant visa with me as a dependant, even though she wasn't included in the original petition, as she was unborn at the time. Please bear in mind, I'm still single/unmarried.
1a. If she does qualify to apply. How do I add her name to the petition since my case is currently with the U.S. Consular post in Lagos? And what are the documents I need to provide?
1b. Does she definitely need to apply for an immigrant visa at the same time with me? If the answer is No, then...
1c. What's the timeframe allowed for her to apply for a visa incase she is to join me later based on same petition?
Will truly appreciate your advice and quick response.
Thanks

Good news! The child can be included as a derivative in your F2B petition! Just shoot us an e-mail at LagosIV@state.gov with her name and date of birth so we can add her to the case. She'll need the online DS-260, birth certificate, medical paperwork, passport, and $325 visa application fee.

If you don't want to include her at this time, she can "follow to join" at any time, as long as she was born before you received your visa, and as long as you have not yet naturalized. If you do become a U.S. citizen before she travels, at that point you'd have to separate petition for her.

Hope this helps!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:31am On Jun 17, 2015
Hi VO,

I received a phone call last week from US embassy informing me that my interview (supposed to be in 3 days time ) will be reschedule to a date in July (3 weeks away). The lady told me that the embassy doesnt send an email but only call the candidate.

Why is it that most immigrant visa originally schedule for June was reschedule to most Saturdays in July (July 2nd, 11th, 18th)? Looks odd that its only most immigrant visa that was only reschedule ( i scheduled 2 of my siblings and my mum for a non immigrant interview on the same day and their interview was not reschedule )? What is the probability that the few immigrant visa interview originally schedule for July will not be reschedule again or move to August (just like the case of most interview in June and last 2 weeks of May)?

I know that all global consulate are experiencing a computer hitch right now (computer issue started last week ). But, the constant rescheduling started before the computer issue started. Also, the same issue supposed to affect the non immigrant visa interview but their interview was not reschedule whereas the immigrant visa was constantly reschedule.

95 days from case complete to new interview day........that is a long time to wait for interview. It means that people that have NVC case complete in April and May will do their interview before people that have earlier case complete at NVC in March.

Sight embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed ............. I know i am ranting but, i just lost a good job offer that i secure while in Nigeria (US employer gave me a conditional offer based on the fact that i am supposed to be in the country in May, they move it to June because of the interview originally schedule for June and now with the rescheduling, they told me they cant wait till August for me to start ). Also, i work in a specialized field and 2-4 months gap in employment history is not good for my profession. Now, i have to wait for a new reschedule date, if approved, travel to USA and start looking for another job (please, try to understand my reason for ranting).

Ranting is permitted. I know it's frustrating. It's frustrating for us, too, but we know it's more frustrating for you. We're opening Saturdays for interviews so we can take care of the people who are rescheduled as quickly as possible (even though it doesn't feel quick when you're waiting....). I hope I have good news for everyone next week but at this particular moment, you know as much if not more than I do. Let's cross our fingers that all the computers start behaving again SOON!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:32am On Jun 17, 2015
njioma:
Where is our dear VO? We miss her ohhh

Sorry o! Traveling this week! But I promise not to go anywhere again until the end of my tour!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:36am On Jun 17, 2015
missek:
Hello VO.

God bless you for all you do for us on here. It is not easy going through this IV process and solid guidance is a treasure to find.
Thank you for the sacrifice of your time and knowledge.

I have been reading this thread for a while now, but I have a question of my own today.

My husband petitioned for me. He is in the US military. All was going well by our estimated timelines till the computer glitches at NVC started.
All our plans since are beginning to unhinge.

We applied for military base housing since we cannot both board up in his current residence. You may know that base housing is more economical, safer and the preferred option for most military families.

We started in NVC in April. We estimated to be out of NVC by early to mid July latest, which we expected to coincide with the allocation of our base housing(going by usual wait times for house allocation on his base).
We also expected an August interview, where we would then be able to make it right on the 30 days grace period allowed for families allocated housing to move in.

Because of the NVC computer issues, we are still waiting to fill the DS 260, after which we understand we wait up to 30 days to have it reviewed. We have already received a checklist for the DS 260...all other documents submitted have been reviewed and are okay.

We have surprisingly (and unusually) been offered base housing last week! if we decline, we get to the bottom of the now huge list again! if we accept, I have to be with my husband and move in by end of August. This is however a very good offer for us and we have been lucky!
Its just a mess for us right though and we are thinking of requesting an expedite for this reason.

By your experience, do you think our expedite would be granted? Does our situation qualify?
I ask you because I read somewhere that expedite requests are routed through the beneficiary's embassy before a decision is made. I know this is not a life or death situation, but for us, it presents hardship and disorganization of our life and where we are going to settle.

Please help. No one knows when NVC computer issues would clear and the backlog I can imagine is huge...it's pure angst. We could have waited out the normal process but the curveballs thrown at us has complicated our situation greatly.

In anticipation of your reply.....

I have good news for you. We do generally expedite cases for spouses and children of active military members, to show our respect for their service. Please go ahead and ask NVC for an expedite, and we'll see what we can do! (And here's hoping the computers let us process your case. And everyone else's.)

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:38am On Jun 17, 2015
bamitaleA4:
Dear VO,
Thanks for helping Immigrant visa Applicants so far. Sir, my Ex-wife won US lottery in 2005 as single entry and we adjusted our status to married but before our visa Interview Appointment, we had misunderstanding which led to separation and later divorce. The issue is that she entered for interview alone and she was refused based on information that got to me. Sir, i was told that she told the consular that i was death and that was the reason i didn't come for the interview with her but she did not go with any evidence like death certificate, obituary, burial pictures etc to prove her point. Sir, i had to move on with life and later remarried to another US Based Lady and the relationship is with a female child of 3years old now and my wife got her citizenship just last month(May,2015) and she ll commence filing for me, sir, hope my past record won't affect my visa chance and we ll appreciate your candid advice for us to achieve success. Thank you sir. From Oyindamola Ajayi.

We'll likely have additional questions for you since our records likely show that you are deceased, but if you have a bona fide relationship with your current wife, we won't hold your past wife's shenanigans against you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by missek: 2:14am On Jun 17, 2015
VisaOfficer:

I have good news for you. We do generally expedite cases for spouses and children of active military members, to show our respect for their service. Please go ahead and ask NVC for an expedite, and we'll see what we can do! (And here's hoping the computers let us process your case. And everyone else's.)

Thank you very much for the reply!
That is reassuring to know, but does it apply to all consulates or just at yours/Nigeria?
My consulate is Accra-Ghana.
We have a good chance still?.....

(1) (2) (3) ... (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) (161) (162) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.