Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,736 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:16 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (191) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (678409 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) (194) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:31am On Jul 27, 2015
Arise01:
Dearest VO, Morning ma, I suppose to attend my interview on 12th Aug, unfortunately I got a mail frm embassy that my appointment date haz bin shifted frm 12th to 26th aug.my concern is that 26th of aug is the date that I wl finish my leaves at work.

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:32am On Jul 27, 2015
queenkaf:
Dear VO,

Each time i ask a question here i say i promise this is my last question ...well this is another last question (shines teeth)

My K1 visa was approved on the 10th ....10 working days should have been 24th but the public holiday made it 28th..however, i dont stay in Lagos but would be in Lagos on the 28th/29th for an event..was wondering if it would be ready for pickup so i can use a stone to kill two birds...

LGS2015607002

Looks like it was printed on July 15, so it should be ready for pickup. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:34am On Jul 27, 2015
teefah80:
Hello.

My family is scheduled for an interview on Thursday 30th July at 06:30.

I am the Principal applicant. My husband who is a derivative does not have his International Passport in his possession at the moment. It is currently at the Dutch Embassy. He applied for a visa to enable him travel to the Netherlands and it has not yet been returned.

As a result of this, he is unable to undergo his medical exam,  as the hospital says he needs to come with his international passport. 

I and my children have already undergone the medical examination.

I will like to know what options are open to us as regards attending the interview on that day with my husband.

Thank you for your anticipated assistance

This shouldn't be a problem -- except that we'll need to know your husband's passport number, issuance date, and expiration date in order to take his fingerprints etc. If he doesn't know those, he'll have to return in person when he gets his passport back. If he does know them, we can go ahead with the interview, and he can submit the passport at his convenience later. Hope this helps!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:35am On Jul 27, 2015
sirk111:
Dear V.O, good day ma! I checked the profile picture, but it's not the real picture!! Pls if possible ma, kindly upload ur real picture, a day before u leave nigeria finally, to nairaland. So that we can all see u the angel....... Thanks ma!!!

It is, however, a frighteningly accurate depiction. grin

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:35am On Jul 27, 2015
medeay:
Good evening VO, i got married to an american citizen on the 9th of july and i am planning to go on a vacation this december to meet with the family for a reunion. do i stand a chance to get the Visa since we are newly married?

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by teefah80: 7:51am On Jul 27, 2015
VisaOfficer:

This shouldn't be a problem -- except that we'll need to know your husband's passport number, issuance date, and expiration date in order to take his fingerprints etc. If he doesn't know those, he'll have to return in person when he gets his passport back. If he does know them, we can go ahead with the interview, and he can submit the passport at his convenience later. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much.

We have a copy of the biometric page, it contains all the information.

I guess it's safe to say "see you on Thursday!"

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by queenkaf: 8:16am On Jul 27, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Looks like it was printed on July 15, so it should be ready for pickup. smiley

Yaaaay so fast nd i was waiting for 10 working days wondering why it got printed early..Thank you VO...another last questions ..is the pickup at the location i picked because the interviewer circled a different location on my pickup form
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by justwise(m): 9:36am On Jul 27, 2015
justwise:

@All

Will be nice to drop a word or two of appreciation for the VO here https://www.nairaland.com/2461386/appreciation-departing-vo

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by medeay(m): 9:44am On Jul 27, 2015
VisaOfficer:

thanks ma
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:40am On Jul 27, 2015
queenkaf:

Yaaaay so fast nd i was waiting for 10 working days wondering why it got printed early..Thank you VO...another last questions ..is the pickup at the location i picked because the interviewer circled a different location on my pickup form

All visas processed by our unit are sent to the Victoria Island center. We're trying to modify the computer program so there doesn't appear to be an option, as that just confuses everyone. Sorry about that!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by teefah80: 12:26pm On Jul 27, 2015
VisaOfficer:

I just received an email from LagosIV@state.gov that he will not be attended to without his international passport.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Kelvade: 1:40pm On Jul 27, 2015
Good day Ma'am,

I would like to extend my appreciation for the good job you are doing here. My wife is scheduled for her Immigrant visa interview on August 7th and I have already purchased my return tickets so I can be there with her. I just received an email that the interview has been rescheduled to the 14th.

Please kindly assist to verify the authenticity of the email (excerpt below):

Dear Sir/Madam,

We regret to inform you that we will need to reschedule your immigrant visa appointment originally scheduled for August 07, 2015 to August 14, 2015 at 07:00 am.

Your name will be on the list at the gate on the Immigrant visa line. You must come with a copy of this email.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us any

Best regards,

Immigrant Visa Section

U.S. Consulate General

Lagos, Nigeria

Tel: +234-1-460-3400

http://nigeria.usembassy.gov

Thanking you in anticipation of your prompt response.

Sincerely,
Kelvade(LGS2014530024).
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:03pm On Jul 27, 2015
teefah80:

I just received an email from LagosIV@state.gov that he will not be attended to without his international passport.

Resolved. Check again. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:04pm On Jul 27, 2015
Kelvade:
Good day Ma'am,

I would like to extend my appreciation for the good job you are doing here. My wife is scheduled for her Immigrant visa interview on August 7th and I have already purchased my return tickets so I can be there with her. I just received an email that the interview has been rescheduled to the 14th.

Please kindly assist to verify the authenticity of the email (excerpt below): ...

Yes, all August 7 appointments have been rescheduled worldwide. Thank you for your understanding.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Kelvade: 2:12pm On Jul 27, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Yes, all August 7 appointments have been rescheduled worldwide. Thank you for your understanding.

Thanks Ma'am, I really appreciate your prompt response.

Sincerely,
Kelvade.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by teefah80: 2:23pm On Jul 27, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Resolved. Check again. smiley

Thank you very much.
I sincerely appreciate your assistance.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by akinmax: 3:46pm On Jul 27, 2015
VisaOfficer:

No, your wife cannot file an immigrant petition for you, because she does not reside in the U.S. But if you apply for a non-immigrant visa and explain that your wife resides permanently in Nigeria, the fact that she is an American will not affect your application adversely.

Hello again VO,
I have this question that has been troubling my mind for so long now. The question is on my date of birth. There is discrepancy between the date of birth written on my marriage certificate and my passport .I 'll like to know your position on this and your advice on how to resolve it .

Thank you so much, I sincerely appreciate this.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:07pm On Jul 27, 2015
akinmax:

Hello again VO,
I have this question that has been troubling my mind for so long now. The question is on my date of birth. There is discrepancy between the date of birth written on my marriage certificate and my passport .I 'll like to know your position on this and your advice on how to resolve it .

Thank you so much, I sincerely appreciate this.

You should use your accurate date of birth on your application, even if it means getting a new passport. Have you ever applied for a visa before? If so, what date of birth did you use?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jul 27, 2015
This is my last question..... I am sure of it this time..... So my fiance is getting ready to schedule his K1 interview appointment. The first available date is showing as Sept 3. My concern is whether there is any issue scheduling so close to the close out of a fiscal year and start of a new one? I know how is can be around that time. Thanks so much for the help. I greatly appreciate it.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jul 27, 2015
Dear VO,
I am a beneficiary for an approved K1 petition and my interview is scheduled for next month. I read a few posts about visa denials based on traditional marriage and payment of bride price/dowry. My fiancee is an American citizen from Pittsburgh. She visited last year with her Mom and we visited my home town so I can officially introduce her to my parents. My parents had all my siblings come home to receive she and her Mom since this is their first time ever in Africa and my family gave their support and approved our engagement which we celebrated over a dinner. My Mom prepared local food just enough for the family no noise or loud celebration. My fiancee mentioned in our petition that we had a kinda traditional engagement ceremony (of course the meeting had nothing to do with dowry or pride price, I mean it is even practically impossible since my fiance is not a Nigerian and the whole traditional marriage thing couldn't apply to us since Americans don't do traditional marriages).
We hope this wouldn't be interpreted wrongly to mean a traditional marriage. We have pictures from the family get together as well.
Thanks for you response.

Philip

[color=#000099][/color]
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by olukenny12: 8:24pm On Jul 27, 2015
hello Co,

pls I and my twin brother was mail on the 16 july 2015 that our kits has been send to the usembassy in lagos nigeria and till now have not received any call from them, for my appointment day, pls how does it take to here from Co?

waiting to hear back from you soonest
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Aburoy(m): 8:39pm On Jul 27, 2015
Good Evening Madam, I need your clarification on this,is it true that just over about 220,000 immigrant visas are issued worldwide annually?
Secondly, each country takes about 7percent annually(excluding china,mexico,india and Philippines)which is roughly over 15,000 Visas meant to be issued, what happens to the rest if the 15,000 visas are not issued, is there a roll over to the next fiscal year which should in turn reduce the waiting time?
Lastly, of the 7percent issued to each country, does this include employment based immigrant Visas? Just seeking understanding on what all this figures mean.
Best Regards.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by akinmax: 9:59pm On Jul 27, 2015
VisaOfficer:

You should use your accurate date of birth on your application, even if it means getting a new passport. Have you ever applied for a visa before? If so, what date of birth did you use?

No!.I haven't , mainly because of this reason.My problem is even if I get new passport , my marriage certificate is still carrying wrong date of birth the mistake was done during our marriage church interview and they carried it over to secure marriage certificate in registry . I don't know if when applying I can attach explanatory letter on the wrong date of birth on my marriage certificate.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by olukenny12: 10:11pm On Jul 27, 2015
Pls Co my question have not been answer sir,
I and my twin brother was mail on the 16 july 2015 that our kits has been send to the usembassy in lagos nigeria and till now have not received any call from them, for my appointment day, pls how does it take to here from Co?

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by queenkaf: 11:42pm On Jul 27, 2015
Dear VO

I read i need a goverment ID card to pick up my Visa at the pickup center, but the only govt ID i have is my intl passport which is at the pickup center. I have a photocopy of the front page tho....Also, i have my official Id card i dont know if i can use that .....
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 12:38am On Jul 28, 2015
Good evening Dear VO,
Hope you're good Ma. Ma please my mum filled for me and my category is f1.

1) Please who is supposed to fill the DS 260 form; myself or my mum?

2) Again please can one pay and have his green card processing started even before entering the US?

3) Lastly, please how long approximately does it take to get ones green card?

Many thanks Ma.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by olukenny12: 2:08am On Jul 28, 2015
Hello pls did you carry out dna test for ur visa process?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:16am On Jul 28, 2015
tomyka81:
This is my last question..... I am sure of it this time..... So my fiance is getting ready to schedule his K1 interview appointment. The first available date is showing as Sept 3. My concern is whether there is any issue scheduling so close to the close out of a fiscal year and start of a new one? I know how is can be around that time. Thanks so much for the help. I greatly appreciate it.

This is a good question! No, there's no problem scheduling so close to the end of the fiscal year. We do have additional duties around that time, but nothing that affects our visa operations.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:17am On Jul 28, 2015
Phil4krist:
Dear VO,
I am a beneficiary for an approved K1 petition and my interview is scheduled for next month. I read a few posts about visa denials based on traditional marriage and payment of bride price/dowry. My fiancee is an American citizen from Pittsburgh. She visited last year with her Mom and we visited my home town so I can officially introduce her to my parents. My parents had all my siblings come home to receive she and her Mom since this is their first time ever in Africa and my family gave their support and approved our engagement which we celebrated over a dinner. My Mom prepared local food just enough for the family no noise or loud celebration. My fiancee mentioned in our petition that we had a kinda traditional engagement ceremony (of course the meeting had nothing to do with dowry or pride price, I mean it is even practically impossible since my fiance is not a Nigerian and the whole traditional marriage thing couldn't apply to us since Americans don't do traditional marriages).
We hope this wouldn't be interpreted wrongly to mean a traditional marriage. We have pictures from the family get together as well.
Thanks for you response.

Philip

There shouldn't be any confusion. If the officer seems to want to question you, just remind him or her that the petitioner is non-Nigerian, and only Nigerians marry in traditional weddings in Nigeria. (Nairalanders, if that's not true, this is an excellent time to correct me...)
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:19am On Jul 28, 2015
olukenny12:
hello Co,

pls I and my twin brother was mail on the 16 july 2015 that our kits has been send to the usembassy in lagos nigeria and till now have not received any call from them, for my appointment day, pls how does it take to here from Co?

If the kits were mailed on July 16, you should hear from us soon. Remember, the kits have to be delivered from the U.S. -- processed by the mailroom -- processed by me -- phone calls made and e-mails sent by my staff. It takes a few days from the time the kits arrive in Nigeria.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:35am On Jul 28, 2015
There shouldn't be any confusion. If the officer seems to want to question you, just remind him or her that the petitioner is non-Nigerian, and only Nigerians marry in traditional weddings in Nigeria. (Nairalanders, if that's not true, this is an excellent time to correct me...)

Thank you ma'am! I appreciate....
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:15am On Jul 28, 2015
Aburoy:
Good Evening Madam, I need your clarification on this,is it true that just over about 220,000 immigrant visas are issued worldwide annually?
Secondly, each country takes about 7percent annually(excluding china,mexico,india and Philippines)which is roughly over 15,000 Visas meant to be issued, what happens to the rest if the 15,000 visas are not issued, is there a roll over to the next fiscal year which should in turn reduce the waiting time?
Lastly, of the 7percent issued to each country, does this include employment based immigrant Visas? Just seeking understanding on what all this figures mean.
Best Regards.

Ah, this is my favorite kind of question, because I am a huge nerd about Consular numbers.

The 220,000 number you quote represents family preference visas only. In FY2014, a total of 467,370 immigrant visas were issued worldwide. That includes 221,193 family preference beneficiaries, as well as immediate relatives, special immigrants, employment preference beneficiaries, and Diversity Visa winners. Additionally, there were 41,488 K visas issued worldwide. And then there are all the people who go to the U.S. as students or temporary workers and somehow manage to adjust status, which I believe is around 200,000, but I can't find that statistic now that I need it. smiley

To quote the Visa Bulletin: Section 201 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) sets an annual minimum family-sponsored preference limit of 226,000. The worldwide level for annual employment-based preference immigrants is at least 140,000. Section 202 prescribes that the per-country limit for preference immigrants is set at 7% of the total annual family-sponsored and employment-based preference limits, i.e., 25,620. The dependent area limit is set at 2%, or 7,320. So the seven percent allocated to each country refers only to principal applicants in family-sponsored and employment-based cases; it does not include their derivatives, immediate relatives, etc.

Let's take Nigeria as an example. In addition to IRs, CRs, and various other visa categories, Nigeria could also have 25,620 visas for family-sponsored people who aren't IRs or CRs and and for employment-based visa beneficiaries. Nigeria has yet to see a year with that many current family-preference or employment-based cases, although I suppose it could happen some day. Let's pretend that we issued 15,620 such visas last year, leaving 10,000 unissued. That 10,000 does not roll over to the next year. But we don't need it to, because believe it or not, demand for visas hasn't reached the point where that 10,000 would make a difference next year (that is, we're not going to have 35,620 current family preference and employment-based cases next year).

If, someday, there is a major push to change cut-off dates so that waiting periods are shorter, demand would indeed go up sharply, at least temporarily. But Nigeria's demand would have to increase more than tenfold for us to start "running out" of family preference visas.

Make sense?

(1) (2) (3) ... (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) (194) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.