Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,272 members, 7,860,635 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 01:33 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (199) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (682273 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (196) (197) (198) (199) (200) (201) (202) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:17am On Aug 15, 2015
DpdNKerosene:
Back again with another question...

My fiance surrendered his passport before it expired (exp. December 2014) in order to have some data changed on it. He is still yet to receive his updated passport yet. We are stuck in the TSC backlog but the light at the end of the tunnel is nearing... we will be able to schedule his interview soon, I believe (and pray). Will we be able to use the old passport info to schedule the appt?
Thanks for any info!

He'll need a valid, unexpired passport. I think (but am not sure) that he can make an appointment with the old passport, but if he comes to the interview with an expired passport, he'll be asked to reschedule.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DpdNKerosene(f): 4:18am On Aug 15, 2015
VisaOfficer:

He'll need a valid, unexpired passport. I think (but am not sure) that he can make an appointment with the old passport, but if he comes to the interview with an expired passport, he'll be asked to reschedule.

Thank you for that quick response! I was like, "she's up early! 5:17am!" Then I remembered again that you're no longer in Lagos. How are you enjoying your new post?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ejiro2006(f): 6:50am On Aug 15, 2015
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ejiro2006(f): 7:01am On Aug 15, 2015
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ejiro2006(f): 7:11am On Aug 15, 2015
VisaOfficer:

It usually takes NVC around 30-60 days to review documents -- sometimes much less though. At any rate, no matter how long the document review takes, siblings currently have a waiting period of around 12 or 13 years from the date of filing to the date of their interviews. The good news is that your husband and any children can certainly be included in the case; just let NVC (or, later, the Embassy or Consulate) know that you're married with children. Usually, all fees are paid to NVC before an appointment is scheduled.

I have no idea what the visa fee will be by the time your case is scheduled for an interview. Right now it's $325 per person.[/quote]

Does this mean that my spouse and child will have to accompany me to the interview?

I am not really clear on your response about their visa fees... will we be required to pay visa fees for the both of them?]
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:31pm On Aug 15, 2015
DpdNKerosene:

Thank you for that quick response! I was like, "she's up early! 5:17am!" Then I remembered again that you're no longer in Lagos. How are you enjoying your new post?

I'm in the Washington DC area for training these days -- enjoying it greatly! I should arrive at the next post in late September. Also Western Africa, by the way. I like your continent. smiley Thanks for asking!

5 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:34pm On Aug 15, 2015
ejiro2006:
VisaOfficer:

It usually takes NVC around 30-60 days to review documents -- sometimes much less though. At any rate, no matter how long the document review takes, siblings currently have a waiting period of around 12 or 13 years from the date of filing to the date of their interviews. The good news is that your husband and any children can certainly be included in the case; just let NVC (or, later, the Embassy or Consulate) know that you're married with children. Usually, all fees are paid to NVC before an appointment is scheduled.

I have no idea what the visa fee will be by the time your case is scheduled for an interview. Right now it's $325 per person.

Does this mean that my spouse and child will have to accompany me to the interview?

I am not really clear on your response about their visa fees... will we be required to pay visa fees for the both of them?]

Yes, your spouse and child should accompany you to the interview. And every person in the case is charged the visa processing fee, even babies.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Sunshine721(f): 7:07pm On Aug 15, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Often NVC says that a case is "at post" when it's actually "on its way to post." And we often say "It's still at NVC" when what we should say is "It's not here yet." So it's probably in transit.

I apologize for the rudeness... thank you for the reminder of how important customer service is.

thanks a lot dear VO.
now that our case is on transit, my husband has also applied for expedition, do you think that's a good move?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by winnie123: 9:48pm On Aug 15, 2015
Dear Vo,

I have been confused about this 30th September which is the end of you people fiscal year. Pls can u explain more on that? Will it affect our case that is not yet completed
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:59pm On Aug 15, 2015
Sunshine721:

thanks a lot dear VO.
now that our case is on transit, my husband has also applied for expedition, do you think that's a good move?

Lagos generally expedites cases only for genuine emergencies, so while you're free to ask, the answer is likely to be no.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:00pm On Aug 15, 2015
winnie123:
Dear Vo,

I have been confused about this 30th September which is the end of you people fiscal year. Pls can u explain more on that? Will it affect our case that is not yet completed

The only cases affected by fiscal year considerations are Diversity Visa cases. If you're not a DV applicant, no need to worry about it.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by 9jaStar: 12:28am On Aug 16, 2015
VisaOfficer:

I'm in the Washington DC area for training these days -- enjoying it greatly! I should arrive at the next post in late September. Also Western Africa, by the way. I like your continent. smiley Thanks for asking!

Lovely.

You're not very far from me, then. Wish it was possible to drop by and say hi before I return to Nigeria next week.

Hope somebody makes a mistake in your paperwork and you end up back in Nigeria tongue

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DpdNKerosene(f): 4:00am On Aug 16, 2015
VisaOfficer:

That's great! I'm just about 5hrs away from you now in NC! I want to go see my fiance' again though- I miss Nigeria!

Referencing my earlier question-
My fiance was concerned that if we book his appointment with the old passport number, when he gets his new passport and brings it to the interview, if it has a different passport number- will that be an issue? I'm not exactly sure if they give a new passport number when you have a data change and passport expiration or if you always have the same passport number. Thanks for any info!

I hope you get to visit your parents while you're in the states! I guess I'm assuming they live in the US lol
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Sunshine721(f): 12:09pm On Aug 16, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Lagos generally expedites cases only for genuine emergencies, so while you're free to ask, the answer is likely to be no.

NO shocked
VisaOfficer:

NO he was in the US army but went for peace mission and was shot, now he's depressed and has been undergoing treatment for years now, the injury has caused him depression, migraine headache and he's in rehab now and you are saying no?
please don't make me cry.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:23pm On Aug 16, 2015
DpdNKerosene:

That's great! I'm just about 5hrs away from you now in NC! I want to go see my fiance' again though- I miss Nigeria!

Referencing my earlier question-
My fiance was concerned that if we book his appointment with the old passport number, when he gets his new passport and brings it to the interview, if it has a different passport number- will that be an issue? I'm not exactly sure if they give a new passport number when you have a data change and passport expiration or if you always have the same passport number. Thanks for any info!

I hope you get to visit your parents while you're in the states! I guess I'm assuming they live in the US lol

We can update his passport number at the time of his interview. That's one of the things we double-check before we print a visa, always.

Would you believe my parents are in NC? smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:26pm On Aug 16, 2015
Sunshine721:

NO shocked

NO he was in the US army but went for peace mission and was shot, now he's depressed and has been undergoing treatment for years now, the injury has caused him depression, migraine headache and he's in rehab now and you are saying no?
please don't make me cry.

Again, you're free to make the request. I'm not setting policy in Lagos any more, so I don't know what response you'll get. I was always very strict about expedite requests, personally.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Akinsussy: 8:34pm On Aug 16, 2015
visa officer. during my immigrant visa processing. I submitted my original birth certificate issued by national population commission to NVC now my interview has been scheduled and am asked to come with my original documents for confirmation during interview.what I Dont know now is how to get original birth certificate to present since have submitted it to the NVC initially.what I have with me now is the photocopy.what do I do?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:45am On Aug 17, 2015
Akinsussy:
visa officer. during my immigrant visa processing. I submitted my original birth certificate issued by national population commission to NVC now my interview has been scheduled and am asked to come with my original documents for confirmation during interview.what I Dont know now is how to get original birth certificate to present since have submitted it to the NVC initially.what I have with me now is the photocopy.what do I do?

NVC should send the original to post along with the petition. Please bring the photocopy to the interview, just in case.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DpdNKerosene(f): 3:44am On Aug 17, 2015
VisaOfficer:

We can update his passport number at the time of his interview. That's one of the things we double-check before we print a visa, always.

Would you believe my parents are in NC? smiley

Oh wow!! What a small world!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by winnie123: 8:49pm On Aug 17, 2015
Dear Vo,

Please i have question bothering me concerning birthday certificate my case is at NVC at the moment and they will need my birth certificate soon, the one i had from birth is the one from the hospital but for this immgration purpose it was advised that i should get my certificate from NPC, the issue now is i cannot be given a birth certificate because i was born before the commencement of that commission so what they are going to issue me is an attestation letter.

The question is will that be accepted by NVC and the embassy?

Secondly since it is going to carry a recent date will that be an issue?

Thank you.

uote author=Akinsussy post=37027179]visa officer. during my immigrant visa processing. I submitted my original birth certificate issued by national population commission to NVC now my interview has been scheduled and am asked to come with my original documents for confirmation during interview.what I Dont know now is how to get original birth certificate to present since have submitted it to the NVC initially.what I have with me now is the photocopy.what do I do?[/quote]
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Sconty09(m): 9:12pm On Aug 17, 2015
Dear Visa officer, I apply for a visiting visa last April this year to travel with my wife and baby who're both american citizens but was denied based on the fact that i'm not working presently here in Abu Dhabi,UAE where we live now. I have a company and registered business of over 10yrs in Lagos and still runs today but we moved here three years ago when she got a job as lecturer in the university and I hope to open another company as quickly as i would like but the process and conditions of new company here is not like we have back home,it takes a lot so i'm presently not working and that was reason my visa was denied in spite of having two american citizens in my family, he advised i should not re apply until my situation change. my application was basically without full documents as i would not apply here using my Nigerian business documents and i have heard friend who married american wife like me denied a visa in Abu Dhabi and he had to go back to Jordan(american embassy)in his country to apply before he was granted a visa,he has two daughters who re american citizen and his wife.

What do you suggests i do in my case?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Akinsussy: 10:00pm On Aug 17, 2015
hello ma.pls ma I will like to know how to address this situation at my interview.my father filled DS 260 form on my behalf and made some mistakes.we tried correcting it but it was locked up so he went to nvc for correction and was advised to print out the filled copy and correct the mistakes in front of it and give it to me to present during my interview.now he has given me a written letter and a corrected paper print out.pls how do i handle this situation?should I present it to the officer who is going to interview me immediately before the interview starts or when is it appropriate to present it for correction.pls ma I need your advise.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 4:54am On Aug 18, 2015
My Wife has a CR1 that will expire during our trip to Nigeria but we have applied to remove the conditions by filling out the I-751. We have a receipt from USCIS that extended her CR1 for another year. We have gone to USCIS and acquired a stamp in her passport that shows this one year extension.

Is all this sufficient for her to be allowed to board her return flight to the US?

Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ohzee64: 6:35am On Aug 18, 2015
Hi my k1 visa was sent back for revocation or reaffirm is it true that csc no longer reaffirms k1 what are my options
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ohzee64: 6:36am On Aug 18, 2015
[quote author=ohzee64 post=37070097]Hi my k1 visa was sent back for revocation or reaffirm is it true that csc no longer reaffirms k1 what are my options[/quote
]I was not given a reason not my fiance at his interview in Jamaica only that it was not enough evidence and sending back .some people are saying k1 don't hey reaffirm only let them expire. .please what should I do
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ohzee64: 6:40am On Aug 18, 2015
Reasons for revocation or refusal please. . I am very worried some people say I should just file cr1 but if there is a chance to reaffirm I want to try what are the chances of that happening. .my congressman is involved and I may have upset the embassy by saying that they are giving me false hope... people say k1 visa reaffirms are very slim to non. .thank you for your help
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:11pm On Aug 18, 2015
winnie123:

Dear Vo,

Please i have question bothering me concerning birthday certificate my case is at NVC at the moment and they will need my birth certificate soon, the one i had from birth is the one from the hospital but for this immgration purpose it was advised that i should get my certificate from NPC, the issue now is i cannot be given a birth certificate because i was born before the commencement of that commission so what they are going to issue me is an attestation letter.

The question is will that be accepted by NVC and the embassy?

Secondly since it is going to carry a recent date will that be an issue?

Thank you.

We do not accept hospital birth certificates -- only birth certificates issued by a goverment office. In the past, we have accepted attestation letters from the NPC.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:12pm On Aug 18, 2015
Sconty09:
Dear Visa officer, I apply for a visiting visa last April this year to travel with my wife and baby who're both american citizens but was denied based on the fact that i'm not working presently here in Abu Dhabi,UAE where we live now. I have a company and registered business of over 10yrs in Lagos and still runs today but we moved here three years ago when she got a job as lecturer in the university and I hope to open another company as quickly as i would like but the process and conditions of new company here is not like we have back home,it takes a lot so i'm presently not working and that was reason my visa was denied in spite of having two american citizens in my family, he advised i should not re apply until my situation change. my application was basically without full documents as i would not apply here using my Nigerian business documents and i have heard friend who married american wife like me denied a visa in Abu Dhabi and he had to go back to Jordan(american embassy)in his country to apply before he was granted a visa,he has two daughters who re american citizen and his wife.

What do you suggests i do in my case?

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:13pm On Aug 18, 2015
Akinsussy:
hello ma.pls ma I will like to know how to address this situation at my interview.my father filled DS 260 form on my behalf and made some mistakes.we tried correcting it but it was locked up so he went to nvc for correction and was advised to print out the filled copy and correct the mistakes in front of it and give it to me to present during my interview.now he has given me a written letter and a corrected paper print out.pls how do i handle this situation?should I present it to the officer who is going to interview me immediately before the interview starts or when is it appropriate to present it for correction.pls ma I need your advise.

When you arrive at the Consulate, before the interview, a local staff member will greet you and ask you for your documents. That's the perfect time to offer your letter and print-out.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:14pm On Aug 18, 2015
EgunMogaji:
My Wife has a CR1 that will expire during our trip to Nigeria but we have applied to remove the conditions by filling out the I-751. We have a receipt from USCIS that extended her CR1 for another year. We have gone to USCIS and acquired a stamp in her passport that shows this one year extension.

Is all this sufficient for her to be allowed to board her return flight to the US?

Thanks.

This is a question for the airline. Good luck!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:14pm On Aug 18, 2015
ohzee64:
Hi my k1 visa was sent back for revocation or reaffirm is it true that csc no longer reaffirms k1 what are my options

It is extremely rare that a K1 petition is reaffirmed, because they have such short periods of validity. However, the petitioner is always free to file a new petition.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ohzee64: 3:18pm On Aug 18, 2015
VisaOfficer:

It is extremely rare that a K1 petition is reaffirmed, because they have such short periods of validity. However, the petitioner is always free to file a new petition.

Can we just get married and file for CR1 we do not have the reason for the refused petition but he said not enough proof. .so I'm planning a trip to marry and will be visiting through out the wait of the Cr1 process. Will the k1 visa hold us up from filing the marriage visa

(1) (2) (3) ... (196) (197) (198) (199) (200) (201) (202) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.