Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,154 members, 7,860,139 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 06:30 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (200) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (682196 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (197) (198) (199) (200) (201) (202) (203) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:14pm On Aug 18, 2015
ohzee64:

Can we just get married and file for CR1 we do not have the reason for the refused petition but he said not enough proof. .so I'm planning a trip to marry and will be visiting through out the wait of the Cr1 process. Will the k1 visa hold us up from filing the marriage visa

Sure, you're also free to marry and pursue the CR1. The K1 petition will not hold up the processing of the CR1 petition.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by sharlorhm(m): 7:11pm On Aug 18, 2015
VisaOfficer:

We do not accept hospital birth certificates -- only birth certificates issued by a goverment office. In the past, we have accepted attestation letters from the NPC.
so attestation of birth from NPC is not allowed anymore?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by damabib(m): 9:27pm On Aug 18, 2015
Welcom ma, me n my wife see last since our after our Marriage in 2013n sincee my cr1 petition still on AP since 2014 n we do communicate everyday! For not seen 4 long can have impacts on my visa application petition? N what u thinks to make it fast! Really need my wife by myself! Thanks

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:15pm On Aug 18, 2015
sharlorhm:

so attestation of birth from NPC is not allowed anymore?

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Yes, we accept attestations from NPC when they can't provide birth certificates and there is no other government-issued option. Hospital certificates are not acceptable.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:19pm On Aug 18, 2015
damabib:
Welcom ma, me n my wife see last since our after our Marriage in 2013n sincee my cr1 petition still on AP since 2014 n we do communicate everyday! For not seen 4 long can have impacts on my visa application petition? N what u thinks to make it fast! Really need my wife by myself! Thanks

Without knowing why the case is undergoing administrative processing, there's no way to answer your question. You should e-mail LagosIV@state.gov and ask for an update.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by blinkdr: 10:49pm On Aug 18, 2015
Thanks for the good work you are doing, I want to know what's the likely time frame for admin processing it's been over 3months for me and over a month I had field investigators at my house sending an email don't work coz it seems all the do is track it on the ceac website, it's really not helpful I would want to knw if u can check my case for me LGS2014846033
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by nkkystel(f): 11:15pm On Aug 18, 2015
Good day V.O,
I noticed after submitting DS 260 the MAIDEN NAME SECTION (names I have answered in the past) wasn't filled by my husband. He already did the submission before I noticed that. Please, can it be corrected at the interview.
Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:52am On Aug 19, 2015
blinkdr:
how long does the admin processing in lagos take i am well above the 60days wrote the lagosiv email and the couldnt say anything i already had field investigators at my house almost a month now its crazy just waiting

It depends. There may be other information that the officer is researching, and depending on what that is, administrative processing can take a long time. It doesn't hurt to e-mail post every so often and ask for updates.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 4:20am On Aug 19, 2015
You mentioned K-1 petition validity. I have heard that it is four months and sometimes it will automatically be extended to complete the process. We received NOA2 on 14 May 2015 and have the interview 18 Sept 2015. We didn't receive an email to schedule until we inquired about the case on 16 July 2015. Will the validity period be an issue for my fiance at his interview?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ejiro2006(f): 4:47am On Aug 19, 2015
Hello VO,
For immigration visa processing, are vaccination records compulsory for people above 21 years?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by HesInMe: 7:29am On Aug 19, 2015
Does Lagos accommodate requests for immigrant interviews in a private room? I sent an email to the consulate and was told to make the request directly to a consular officer but I wonder if there is precedence and capacity for such accommodation. Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ohzee64: 3:08pm On Aug 19, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Sure, you're also free to marry and pursue the CR1. The K1 petition will not hold up the processing of the CR1 petition.
I'm currently working with my congressman to understand why the petition was refused and if it is based on bonafide (he told my fiance not enough proof) what are my chances of getting a second interview at the request of my congressman to submit more proof. .letters from friends family more photos chats 100 pages wire transfers and more phone records. .about 30 friends and family have emailed in support of the visa for him but I am uncertain the refusal reason only what my fiance told me he said after he correctly answered all his questions. ..if there were any other reason would be have disclosed it at his interview. .also if granted abother interview I would be there with him. .I'm devastated and never saw this coming. .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ohzee64: 3:14pm On Aug 19, 2015
ohzee64:

I'm currently working with my congressman to understand why the petition was refused and if it is based on bonafide (he told my fiance not enough proof) what are my chances of getting a second interview at the request of my congressman to submit more proof. .letters from friends family more photos chats 100 pages wire transfers and more phone records. .about 30 friends and family have emailed in support of the visa for him but I am uncertain the refusal reason only what my fiance told me he said after he correctly answered all his questions. ..if there were any other reason would be have disclosed it at his interview. .also if granted abother interview I would be there with him. .I'm devastated and never saw this coming. .

The embassy is also telling me the k1 will go to USCIS to be reaffirmed but we know this is not true so I'm also telling my congressman to let them know this is not the case and to reevaluate my petition before it's returned and refused to expire. ..I have more proof I sent what was required in the USCIS website it's very misleading it does not say send chats etc etc. .my congressman has been actively engaged with me since the interview. .also initially the embassy told me to send in more proof and then a second email saying the decision is upheld. .very wrong to get a person hopes up then to crush them again. .thanks for your feedback and help. .what are my options here
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by dupsyloo: 4:36pm On Aug 19, 2015
Hello visa officer,
I had an interview for immigrant visa August 6 and was told by the interviewer the visa should be ready after five working days.I have been to Lagos twice from Abuja and the visa is not ready. I have purchased ticket for travel based on the information the interviewer gave us after the interview. I rescheduled our flights from last week Sunday to this Friday and the visa is still not out. I'm a bit confused.I have sent an email to support service for them to expedite action to enable us travel on Friday 21st August since we have purchased tickets.
I tried to track our passports but it provided no information on it and the call center number is not going through.
Could you help check if our visas are ready for collection or expedite action on it ?
Case no: LG2010792051. Will appreciate your prompt response.
Thanks for your help.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by deepluvit: 5:01pm On Aug 19, 2015
I applied for a k1 visa for my fiance the petition was approved by uscis and sent to NVC and from NVC it was sent to US Consulate in Mumbai on 23rd july via DHL Express, but we haven't received any notification from the embassy, we emailed USTRAVELDOCs(email address on embassy website) and they give their standard reply that the case is with NVC, NVC says that its with consulate, there is no way to contact anyone at the embassy and all calls/emails go to UStraveldocs(call center) so what should I do next? NVC did a Case location search and informed me that the case was sent on 23rd july and was received by the consulate on 28th jul. CEAC shows IN TRANSIT
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Donjudesky1: 7:43pm On Aug 19, 2015
I have really not tried nairaland but i came across because i was searching for answers with my situation. I'm not even sure if I'm writing at the write place but here is my situation. I reside in U.S and I'm the petitioner for my wife for immigrant visa and presently our case is completed at NVC awaiting interview but my wife is pregnant and at her 7 month. If she gives birth before the interview what becomes of the baby. I actually was LPR for five years then got my U.S citizenship on July 4th of 2015 which i used to upgrade my case to CR1. I heard of CRBA, do i qualify? If i do how long does it take and what are the chances of getting it and how soon.we re just worried sick and concernd i dont know whatelse to do. Please a response will be so helpful to know what to expect. Looking forward to a response and thanks for being here to ans tons of questions.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Aburoy(m): 8:11pm On Aug 19, 2015
Good Day Madam, I hope the workload in DC isn't much on you. Please I need more clarity on this issue of birth certificate. My birth certificate is from the Lagos Mainland registry of Births and deaths and it was from the 80's. It includes my name, my parents name and the date of birth. Will this not be accepted by the consulate? Or do I still need to go through National population commission? Am a bit confuse what you mean by government office as Lagos Mainland registry of birth n deaths is a government institution. Please throw more light. Gracais.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by winnie123: 9:30pm On Aug 19, 2015
Dear vo,

What about declaration of age from the High Court, will that also be accepted.

[qquote author=VisaOfficer post=37100735]

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Yes, we accept attestations from NPC when they can't provide birth certificates and there is no other government-issued option. Hospital certificates are not acceptable.[/quote]
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:34am On Aug 20, 2015
tomyka81:
You mentioned K-1 petition validity. I have heard that it is four months and sometimes it will automatically be extended to complete the process. We received NOA2 on 14 May 2015 and have the interview 18 Sept 2015. We didn't receive an email to schedule until we inquired about the case on 16 July 2015. Will the validity period be an issue for my fiance at his interview?

Yes, the validity period is technically four months, but the Consulate will extend the validity period in order to interview the beneficiary. So it won't be a problem for your fiance. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:36am On Aug 20, 2015
ejiro2006:
Hello VO,
For immigration visa processing, are vaccination records compulsory for people above 21 years?

Vaccination records are compulsory for all immigrant visa applicants, regardless of age. If there's a valid reason why a certain vaccination was not and cannot be obtained, this will be noted in the record and the applicant will get the vaccination in the United States.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:38am On Aug 20, 2015
HesInMe:
Does Lagos accommodate requests for immigrant interviews in a private room? I sent an email to the consulate and was told to make the request directly to a consular officer but I wonder if there is precedence and capacity for such accommodation. Thanks!

If there's a good reason to hold the interview in a private room, we should be able to accommodate the request. If all the private rooms are being used, it's possible that the interview would have to be rescheduled. It's also possible that the request will be denied, if there really isn't a reason to use a private room.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:40am On Aug 20, 2015
ohzee64:

It's doubtful that a Congressional inquiry would have any effect on the outcome of a K-1 visa interview. The burden of proof is on the beneficiary, and if the Consular officer simply isn't convinced that the relationship is bona fide, the officer cannot issue a visa.

E-mails from family and friends aren't really helpful, either. The single most important element is what the beneficiary says at the interview.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:42am On Aug 20, 2015
dupsyloo:
Hello visa officer,
I had an interview for immigrant visa August 6 and was told by the interviewer the visa should be ready after five working days.I have been to Lagos twice from Abuja and the visa is not ready. I have purchased ticket for travel based on the information the interviewer gave us after the interview. I rescheduled our flights from last week Sunday to this Friday and the visa is still not out. I'm a bit confused.I have sent an email to support service for them to expedite action to enable us travel on Friday 21st August since we have purchased tickets.
I tried to track our passports but it provided no information on it and the call center number is not going through.
Could you help check if our visas are ready for collection or expedite action on it ?
Case no: LG2010792051. Will appreciate your prompt response.
Thanks for your help.

I'm no longer in Lagos; I'm just answering questions as best I can until the new IV Chief arrives. Our websites all remind applicants NOT to purchase tickets until they have actually, physically received their visas, because we can never promise that a visa will definitely be ready in five days. Please e-mail LagosIV@state.gov to ask what the status of your application is.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:44am On Aug 20, 2015
deepluvit:
I applied for a k1 visa for my fiance the petition was approved by uscis and sent to NVC and from NVC it was sent to US Consulate in Mumbai on 23rd july via DHL Express, but we haven't received any notification from the embassy, we emailed USTRAVELDOCs(email address on embassy website) and they give their standard reply that the case is with NVC, NVC says that its with consulate, there is no way to contact anyone at the embassy and all calls/emails go to UStraveldocs(call center) so what should I do next? NVC did a Case location search and informed me that the case was sent on 23rd july and was received by the consulate on 28th jul. CEAC shows IN TRANSIT

You should let Mumbai know (via the ustraveldocs e-mail address) that NVC says that they received the case on July 28, and provide a tracking number if possible.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:45am On Aug 20, 2015
Donjudesky1:
I have really not tried nairaland but i came across because i was searching for answers with my situation. I'm not even sure if I'm writing at the write place but here is my situation. I reside in U.S and I'm the petitioner for my wife for immigrant visa and presently our case is completed at NVC awaiting interview but my wife is pregnant and at her 7 month. If she gives birth before the interview what becomes of the baby. I actually was LPR for five years then got my U.S citizenship on July 4th of 2015 which i used to upgrade my case to CR1. I heard of CRBA, do i qualify? If i do how long does it take and what are the chances of getting it and how soon.we re just worried sick and concernd i dont know whatelse to do. Please a response will be so helpful to know what to expect. Looking forward to a response and thanks for being here to ans tons of questions.

If you have at least five years total of physical presence in the U.S., the baby should qualify for a CRBA and U.S. passport. If not, you'll need to file a new petition on the baby's behalf. Fingers crossed for you!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:50am On Aug 20, 2015
Aburoy:
Good Day Madam, I hope the workload in DC isn't much on you. Please I need more clarity on this issue of birth certificate. My birth certificate is from the Lagos Mainland registry of Births and deaths and it was from the 80's. It includes my name, my parents name and the date of birth. Will this not be accepted by the consulate? Or do I still need to go through National population commission? Am a bit confuse what you mean by government office as Lagos Mainland registry of birth n deaths is a government institution. Please throw more light. Gracais.

winnie123:
Dear vo,

What about declaration of age from the High Court, will that also be accepted.

Here is the official guidance for Nigeria:

Birth and Death Certificates

Generally available, particularly for events occurring after 1970. Registration of births and deaths is compulsory in Lagos. The National Population Commission issues birth certificates for births after 1992.

For Lagos records, certified copies of records for dates ending with 1979 can be obtained at the Lagos State Ministry of Health, Old Secretariat, Ikeja, Lagos. For records after 1979, contact the local government that issued the original certificate directly. Most births and deaths outside of Lagos are also registered at the time of the event. Applicants can obtain certified true copies of certificates directly from the local government.

The guidance goes on to say "Alternatively, acceptable identity/parentage documents are infant baptismal certificates and hospital or maternity clinic records of birth. Home births are rare in Nigeria and medical records are available in most cases. Affidavits may be acceptable as substitutes for documents for those born outside Lagos prior to 1960 or born in the eastern part of Nigeria in the 1960's at the time of the Biafran War, when presented in combination with convincing secondary evidence of relationship" -- but if someone who should be able to provide a government-issued document shows up and claims that all he has is a hospital certificate, the officer will very likely strongly recommend a DNA test.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by queenma35: 3:35am On Aug 20, 2015
Good day! my husband and I are looking for guidance. My husband and are on the last step of waiting for the NVC to give us a date for an interview on a family base visa. Back in 2008 my husband was denied a visitor visa for misrepresentation which I believe we would need a wavier. My question is can we file a i-601 now or do we need to wait for instruction form the consulate? please advise us. Thank you and have a blessed day. Hugs smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Vickyc92: 6:11am On Aug 20, 2015
Good morning, VO my dad made a visa petition for me and my 2 siblings and he said the USCIS informed him dat we should go for a DNA test to prove our paternity and gave him a total of 83 days for the test to be completed and sent to them, we have just 1 week for the 83 days to be over yet we have not done it, my dad just paid the fees to the AABB lab dat will be incharge of the test yesterday so my question is this will there be any delay or problem if by next week (which is the end of that 83 days) the test is not complete and the result sent to USCIS as they gave 83 days for the submission and again after the DNA test are we going to be issued our visa and if not what is the next step to take and before i forget that is if this will help my dad is a citizen and is filling a family based visa
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Vickyc92: 6:22am On Aug 20, 2015
Again VO my dad filled a family based visa i really don't know why my moms case is treated faster Dan that of my siblings and i, her own case is now at NVC and my dad have even sent an affidavit of support for her to NVC while that of my siblings and i are still with USCIS i don't know the reason for this though they said we. Are we going to be given our visa the same time with her or will ours be treated separately and pls after the affidavit of support as it have been sent what is next for her
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ohzee64: 7:40am On Aug 20, 2015
VisaOfficer:

It's doubtful that a Congressional inquiry would have any effect on the outcome of a K-1 visa interview. The burden of proof is on the beneficiary, and if the Consular officer simply isn't convinced that the relationship is bona fide, the officer cannot issue a visa.

E-mails from family and friends aren't really helpful, either. The single most important element is what the beneficiary says at the interview.
I have heard of cases that Congress has been convinced after the fact. .rare but it has happened my fiance was never given any form 221g to understand why we were refused how can we get that answer so as not to make the same error when we refile for k1 or cr1.. how long does the case stay in AP before it is refused and sent back we are hoping to get his documents back as we need them to refile. Do you think it would be helpful if I'm at the next interview? Our relationship is not fake and it is a shame that the CO felt that way. .everyone does not interview well or just nervous sounds like he had his mind made up before my fiance got there we are 20 age difference I would just like to know how to over come this next time thank you. .Kingston visa officers are tough but I will keep trying as we love each other even if I have to move to Jamaica
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by angel2019: 8:19am On Aug 20, 2015
Hello,
I got my F1 Student visa application approved on Monday and received my passport yesterday. When I looked closely at the visa, however, I saw that under 'annotation' my school name was misspelled. I will leave the country next week to pursue an undergraduate study in Massachusetts. Would this be a problem at the point of entry? Also, there is one star under my picture in the visa. What does this mean?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by HesInMe: 9:37am On Aug 20, 2015
Boy, this immigrant visa process can be needlessly frustrating. I was just turned back from my medical examination - after travelling half the country to Lagos at significant cost - because I didn't come with my original international passport. A copy wouldn't do, nor would other government-issued ID. The invitation letter and the consulate's guidance do not mention this important requirement. My interview is coming up shortly. Could you please update your information so others don't suffer this fate?

(1) (2) (3) ... (197) (198) (199) (200) (201) (202) (203) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.