Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,217 members, 7,836,058 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (202) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (680167 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (199) (200) (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:40am On Aug 22, 2015
mendozab:
Good day Visa Officer,

We received our interview letter scheduled for May 27, 2015 for EB3 visa category. On April 2015 we received another letter informing that our interview (may 27) is cancelled due to retrogression. However the US consulate in Manila opened a window for those applicants who completed the medical and other documents may walk in for interview from April 15-28. We were able to set an interview on April 22nd. We gave our medical result envelop, finger printing etc. done. During the interview were told the there is no visa available, and at the end of the window our passport was not given back to us. A few hours after i received an email from the embassy that they cannot proceed to process our application because there is no visa available and we need to wait for their email to instruct what we will do next. A month after our passport were given back to us thru mail saying our application still cannot be process until our priority date (july 27, 2007) becomes current.

my question is..

1. what is the probability that we will be included in the october visa quota (new quota for 2016 fiscal year)

Right now the current priority date for EB3s in the Philippines is June 1, 2004, so it's unlikely that you'll be included in October. You can track the movement of the priority dates at http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/law-and-policy/bulletin.html .

2. do we need to go back to the consulate office and repeat the process once our priority date becomes current?

You'll have to update any expired documents, yes.

3. do we need to repeat our medical it will expire on October 22 2015 (6th month)

If your medical paperwork expires, you'll need new paperwork.

4. is there any chance of getting the visa this year?

It doesn't appear likely, but I suppose it's not impossible that there could be a major shift in cut-off dates. EB3 dates in the Philippines have really jumped around a lot this year for some reason. All I can say is hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

5. my son will turn 21 on March next year 2016, is there a change he will miss his change to get his visa?

The officer will look at your son's age on the date that a visa first became available -- so don't lose that letter about retrogression! You may have to show it to an officer and remind him or her that your son was 21 when the priority date first became current. But, based solely on what you've written here (there may be other factors involved that aren't obvious from your post), your son should be protected under the Child Status Protection Act (CSPA).
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by mendozab: 5:18am On Aug 22, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Right now the current priority date for EB3s in the Philippines is June 1, 2004, so it's unlikely that you'll be included in October. You can track the movement of the priority dates at http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/law-and-policy/bulletin.html .

You'll have to update any expired documents, yes.

If your medical paperwork expires, you'll need new paperwork.

It doesn't appear likely, but I suppose it's not impossible that there could be a major shift in cut-off dates. EB3 dates in the Philippines have really jumped around a lot this year for some reason. All I can say is hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

The officer will look at your son's age on the date that a visa first became available -- so don't lose that letter about retrogression! You may have to show it to an officer and remind him or her that your son was 21 when the priority date first became current. But, based solely on what you've written here (there may be other factors involved that aren't obvious from your post), your son should be protected under the Child Status Protection Act (CSPA).

thank you very much for the enlightenment
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ototoyi: 7:29am On Aug 22, 2015
Good morning VISA officer.
I had my interview on the 11th of August for a J1 VISA for a Masters degree in the States (my sponsors insisted on J1 so I could be subject to the 2 year residency requirement).

My VISA was approved and I was told to pick up in 3 days. I went to the pickup center but my passport wasn't there. I emailed LagosNIV and they said its still being processed and that they'ld contact me when its ready.

Its almost 2 weeks now and I haven't heard anythiing. I am so worried because my school has given me until the 28th of August to arrive otherwise I lose a year and lose my full scholarship.

I thought the consulate was considerate of students and resumption dates but it doesn't look like that anymore

Please what can I do in my case?
Passport no: A04503391
Thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Vickyc92: 8:31am On Aug 22, 2015
VisaOfficer:

I have no way of knowing where your mother's petition is in the process, and whether anything other than the affidavit of support is missing. And I don't know if DNA results are the only thing pending in your petition, either. So there's no way for me to hazard a guess here.
ok thank you VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by mscindee: 9:18am On Aug 22, 2015
Hello VO, I just want to find out which relatives can file an immigration form? Could an uncle, aunt or even cousin do that? Thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jayjon: 3:04pm On Aug 22, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Well, from my point of view, when we ask the High Court of Lagos State to verify a divorce decree and they tell us it isn't genuine, we conclude that the divorce decree isn't genuine. So there's not really anything I can say that will help at this point. It does sound to me like a false document was submitted, sorry to say. (We do sometimes see people who submit fake documents because they have lost the original, but that's a really bad idea for obvious reasons.)

Hello VO,

My Husband said, VO said, at his interview. His divorce decree was not found in the High Court of Lagos State. So after the interview my husband left and went to Ogudu high court to the registrar their and he was told it is the original copy, but on Monday, my husband should go to Ikeja high court and ask for the Clerk Official for certification and ask if a letter was sent from the Embassy is their on file.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ohzee64: 5:25pm On Aug 22, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Wow, I'm surprised to hear this! But good for you. Just bring whatever evidence you have handy, and answer the questions honestly. Let us know how it goes.
Our relationship is honest and true so I'm hoping that comes across to the CO. Thank you for your help and answering my questions. .I will let you know the outcome next month. .I'm assuming we will have a stokes or stokes like interview so getting my mind together for that but I have tons of evidence that was not presented in the original petition 1000 pages of chats more pictures etc etc. .thanks again for your support

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by olukenny12: 5:36pm On Aug 22, 2015
I read it before on this site that it takes 3 or 5 days to get dna result back but now am hearing that it two weeks, has the system change?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:30pm On Aug 22, 2015
ototoyi:
Good morning VISA officer.
I had my interview on the 11th of August for a J1 VISA for a Masters degree in the States (my sponsors insisted on J1 so I could be subject to the 2 year residency requirement).

My VISA was approved and I was told to pick up in 3 days. I went to the pickup center but my passport wasn't there. I emailed LagosNIV and they said its still being processed and that they'ld contact me when its ready.

Its almost 2 weeks now and I haven't heard anythiing. I am so worried because my school has given me until the 28th of August to arrive otherwise I lose a year and lose my full scholarship.

I thought the consulate was considerate of students and resumption dates but it doesn't look like that anymore

Please what can I do in my case?
Passport no: A04503391
Thank you

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:32pm On Aug 22, 2015
mscindee:
Hello VO, I just want to find out which relatives can file an immigration form? Could an uncle, aunt or even cousin do that? Thank you

No, aunts, uncles, and cousins are not able to file immigrant petitions. A Legal Permanent Resident may file for her spouse and unmarried children; a U.S. citizen may file for a spouse, fiancé, child (married or unmarried), sibling, or parent.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:35pm On Aug 22, 2015
jayjon:

Hello VO,

My Husband said, VO said, at his interview. His divorce decree was not found in the High Court of Lagos State. So after the interview my husband left and went to Ogudu high court to the registrar their and he was told it is the original copy, but on Monday, my husband should go to Ikeja high court and ask for the Clerk Official for certification and ask if a letter was sent from the Embassy is their on file.

We do check with the office that allegedly issued the divorce decree. So if the certificate's from Ikeja, that's where our investigators would have gone. Let us know what happens...
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by justwise(m): 8:39pm On Aug 22, 2015
VisaOfficer:

We do check with the office that allegedly issued the divorce decree. So if the certificate's from Ikeja, that's where our investigators would have gone. Let us know what happens...

Done.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:47pm On Aug 22, 2015
olukenny12:
I read it before on this site that it takes 3 or 5 days to get dna result back but now am hearing that it two weeks, has the system change?

There's no way results could come back in 3 to 5 days. We mail the samples out the day after they're taken, and it takes them a few days to reach the U.S. lab. Then the lab has to process them, which also takes time. So two weeks is probably the quickest turn-around.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by olukenny12: 1:01am On Aug 23, 2015
okay thanks pls one more question, is it.same day d embassy get my dna result I will be call to come the next day or wat?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:18am On Aug 23, 2015
olukenny12:
okay thanks pls one more question, is it.same day d embassy get my dna result I will be call to come the next day or wat?

No, it will likely be at least a week after we receive the results before you hear from us. The Consulate gets a lot of mail, which has to be sorted; then someone has to pull all the relevant files and match them with the results; then an officer reviews each case to see what the next steps are; then the cases go to another staff member, who contacts the families. And that's the simplified version. And it happens while a bunch of equally important things are being done by everyone involved. Nothing is instantaneous when so much is happening all in one place.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by olukenny12: 7:52am On Aug 23, 2015
okay thanks but if no any other documents are require again will I be ask to drop my passport that same day I was called to cum to d embassy for my result ?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by mscindee: 11:43am On Aug 23, 2015
VisaOfficer:

No, aunts, uncles, and cousins are not able to file immigrant petitions. A Legal Permanent Resident may file for her spouse and unmarried children; a U.S. citizen may file for a spouse, fiancé, child (married or unmarried), sibling, or parent.

Thank you for your response.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ohzee64: 11:53am On Aug 23, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Wow, I'm surprised to hear this! But good for you. Just bring whatever evidence you have handy, and answer the questions honestly. Let us know how it goes.
I am getting information that we might get a stokes interview we have not lived together he is my fiance in another country I do have information about him and his family even though I have only met a few. I am nervous bit not afraid. .our relationship is real.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by damabib(m): 12:13pm On Aug 23, 2015
U.S. Department of State
IMMIGRANT VISA APPLICATION
Ready
Immigrant Visa Case Number:LGS2013XXXXX 01 LGS
Case Creation Date:10-Dec-2013
Status Updated Date:19-Aug-2015

Your case is ready for your interview when scheduled at the U.S. Consular section. If you have already scheduled an appointment for an interview, please prepare your documents as directed in your appointment letter and appear at the consulate on the appointed date and time. Otherwise, please wait until you have been notified of your interview appointment. PLS VO each time I mail whas told still on AP ,What can I do 4 my case pls?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:19pm On Aug 23, 2015
olukenny12:
okay thanks but if no any other documents are require again will I be ask to drop my passport that same day I was called to cum to d embassy for my result ?

Yes, that's right.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:20pm On Aug 23, 2015
damabib:
U.S. Department of State
IMMIGRANT VISA APPLICATION
Ready
Immigrant Visa Case Number:LGS2013XXXXX 01 LGS
Case Creation Date:10-Dec-2013
Status Updated Date:19-Aug-2015

Your case is ready for your interview when scheduled at the U.S. Consular section. If you have already scheduled an appointment for an interview, please prepare your documents as directed in your appointment letter and appear at the consulate on the appointed date and time. Otherwise, please wait until you have been notified of your interview appointment. PLS VO each time I mail whas told still on AP ,What can I do 4

You just have to wait until the processing is complete, I'm afraid. Feel free to e-mail the Consulate every so often to ask for updates.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by olukenny12: 12:24pm On Aug 23, 2015
okay so how long will it takes issue me my visa after I drop my passport
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:53pm On Aug 23, 2015
olukenny12:
okay so how long will it takes issue me my visa after I drop my passport

It usually takes five business days for a visa and immigration packet to be ready for pickup, if there are no technical glitches.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by olukenny12: 1:47pm On Aug 23, 2015
tanks for.ur.support God bless
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 1:48pm On Aug 23, 2015
@Visaofficer.

Just checking if you're still here lol

I've been waiting for you to say your final good-bye so I can add my Thank you.

Happy Sunday!

Love to your cat!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:10pm On Aug 23, 2015
salsera:
@Visaofficer.

Just checking if you're still here lol

I've been waiting for you to say your final good-bye so I can add my Thank you.

Happy Sunday!

Love to your cat!

Hi there! I've departed Nigeria but am continuing to answer questions until my successor arrives. She might decide not to continue this thread, and at any rate it'll take her a while to settle in, but it would be inappropriate for me to keep answering Nigeria-specific questions once she's on the ground in Lagos.

I keep saying "we" and "us" here when I should be saying "Lagos" -- I hope everyone understands that that's just habit and affection, as I'm not directly involved in their operations any more. (Don't worry, I have permission to keep responding here for the time being!)

Both cats are asleep in sunbeams at the moment. Hope all is well with you!

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by mokon92: 5:25pm On Aug 23, 2015
Hello VO,

My brother is the beneficiary of a F2B petition filed by our mother in 2008. The petition was approved and moved to NVC to await priority date. On or about 2010, mother left the US to pursue her retirement benefits pending for almost 3 years. She subsequently remained outside the US until 2013. After she received her retirement benefits in 2013 and desired to move back to the US, she was denied a returning resident visa. My brother filed a new 1-130 for her which was approved and she is back in the US since early this year as LPR. Now the issue is my brother's original approved petition at NVC is now current. My question is how would my mother's lost and regaining of her LPR status affect the F2B visa interview once he comes up for his interview.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bishopozo: 8:35pm On Aug 23, 2015
After the Embassy checked on me in my house to verify a certain truth if i was actually married here or not,after a month and 2 weeks i was called and asked to drop my passport,police report and my medical can i drop it on a friday?and is there any guarantee i may get my visa?

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:15pm On Aug 23, 2015
mokon92:
Hello VO,

My brother is the beneficiary of a F2B petition filed by our mother in 2008. The petition was approved and moved to NVC to await priority date. On or about 2010, mother left the US to pursue her retirement benefits pending for almost 3 years. She subsequently remained outside the US until 2013. After she received her retirement benefits in 2013 and desired to move back to the US, she was denied a returning resident visa. My brother filed a new 1-130 for her which was approved and she is back in the US since early this year as LPR. Now the issue is my brother's original approved petition at NVC is now current. My question is how would my mother's lost and regaining of her LPR status affect the F2B visa interview once he comes up for his interview.

Well, technically, when your mother lost her LPR status in 2011 (after one year outside the United States), the petition for her son was rendered invalid. But, in practice, now that she has become an LPR again, the officer will likely go ahead and process the case.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:17pm On Aug 23, 2015
bishopozo:
After the Embassy checked on me in my house to verify a certain truth if i was actually married here or not,after a month and 2 weeks i was called and asked to drop my passport,police report and my medical can i drop it on a friday?and is there any guarantee i may get my visa?

Please ask LagosIV@state.gov. As I'm not there, I can't answer these questions.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by damabib(m): 11:19pm On Aug 23, 2015
VisaOfficer:

You just have to wait until the processing is complete, I'm afraid. Feel free to e-mail the Consulate every so often to ask for updates.
I send several emails no reply , pls why are u afraid? Not happy without my wife my side here
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:32pm On Aug 23, 2015
damabib:
I send several emails no reply , pls why are u afraid? Not happy without my wife my side here

In this context "I'm afraid" is just a way of expressing polite sorrow while giving someone bad news. It doesn't mean I'm actually afraid of something. Is the phrase not used that way in Nigeria?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (199) (200) (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.