Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,277 members, 7,836,243 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:22 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (203) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (680182 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (200) (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by sisitodun: 2:53am On Aug 24, 2015
VisaOfficer:

In this context "I'm afraid" is just a way of expressing polite sorrow while giving someone bad news. It doesn't mean I'm actually afraid of something. Is the phrase not used that way in Nigeria?

Just to say thank you again for making the time to answer questions and enlighten the public about US government policies and processes on immigration. You have answered questions with professionalism and with so much courtesy, even repeating answers to questions you have treated previously on the thread, and polite responses to posts that come off as rude.
I wish you success in your personal life and in your career. Keep up your radiance and free-spirit. You have brought smiles to our faces, given hope when things seemed hopeless and sunshine into our hearts.
Thank you, thank you and thank you!

5 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by vikkiebass: 9:58am On Aug 24, 2015
Hi, VO

I'm a US citizen, my fiance is Nigerian. I've already begun the process of filing papers for him to come into the US. I was asked to tell him to write a letter stating his intention to marry me within 90 days of entry into the US and show evidence of the processes already set in motion to that end. This letter has to be duly notarized and forwarded to USCIS. My question is, who does he give the letter to notarize for him; a notary lawyer in Nigeria or does he take it for notarization at the US consulate in Nigeria? Pls urgent response needed. Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:00pm On Aug 24, 2015
vikkiebass:
Hi, VO

I'm a US citizen, my fiance is Nigerian. I've already begun the process of filing papers for him to come into the US. I was asked to tell him to write a letter stating his intention to marry me within 90 days of entry into the US and show evidence of the processes already set in motion to that end. This letter has to be duly notarized and forwarded to USCIS. My question is, who does he give the letter to notarize for him; a notary lawyer in Nigeria or does he take it for notarization at the US consulate in Nigeria? Pls urgent response needed. Thank you.

He can use a Nigerian notary service or come to the Embassy or Consulate, as he prefers. If he decides to have us do the notarization, he'll need to make an appointment. Please see http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/acs_abuja_publicservices.html for more information.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:05pm On Aug 24, 2015
sisitodun:

Just to say thank you again for making the time to answer questions and enlighten the public about US government policies and processes on immigration. You have answered questions with professionalism and with so much courtesy, even repeating answers to questions you have treated previously on the thread, and polite responses to posts that come off as rude.
I wish you success in your personal life and in your career. Keep up your radiance and free-spirit. You have brought smiles to our faces, given hope when things seemed hopeless and sunshine into our hearts.
Thank you, thank you and thank you!

Aw, this made my day! Thank you so much! I enjoy Nairaland very much -- and now that we're past 200 pages on this thread, it wouldn't be fair to be cranky when people repeat questions. smiley I do try to drink enough coffee to maintain a reasonably pleasant countenance early in the morning. smiley

Hope all is well with you! cool

8 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by damabib(m): 5:49pm On Aug 24, 2015
VisaOfficer:

In this context "I'm afraid" is just a way of expressing polite sorrow while giving someone bad news. It doesn't mean I'm actually afraid of something. Is the phrase not used that way in Nigeria?
ok Ma. I wil contd to wait n hope soon !
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 9:42pm On Aug 24, 2015
Hello @VISAOfficer

I have an acquaintance who got married to a a friend of mine (She is a US Citizen).
he just got approved to move to the US to be with his Wife.
He is long separated from his Nigerian wife and has custody of the daughter but her status won't be ready until December 2015.
He wishes to fill out an application for a visitor visa for his daughter to be with him so they can celebrate as a family rather than wait till December.
Unfortunately he only thought about this much later (too late) he is due to leave for the US this week and wants me to fill out the application on his behalf. then bring his daughter over when i am coming in next month with my family.

What documentation does he need to provide for me to carry along and make this happen smoothly . I plan to also make an emergency request to have the interview date moved up earlier in September so his daughter can come with us
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jayjon: 11:24pm On Aug 24, 2015
VisaOfficer:

We do check with the office that allegedly issued the divorce decree. So if the certificate's from Ikeja, that's where our investigators would have gone. Let us know what happens...

I'm happy to say, that my husband is not in the wrong, he is not guilty. My husband went home happy to know that this is not his fault.The Clerk Office of High Court of Lagos State, said this is a matter for his lawyer. So my husband ask that I request Lagos VI for 3 days and I did, my husband lawyer will have it straighten out.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:08am On Aug 25, 2015
voltron:
Hello @VISAOfficer

I have an acquaintance who got married to a a friend of mine (She is a US Citizen).
he just got approved to move to the US to be with his Wife.
He is long separated from his Nigerian wife and has custody of the daughter but her status won't be ready until December 2015.
He wishes to fill out an application for a visitor visa for his daughter to be with him so they can celebrate as a family rather than wait till December.
Unfortunately he only thought about this much later (too late) he is due to leave for the US this week and wants me to fill out the application on his behalf. then bring his daughter over when i am coming in next month with my family.

What documentation does he need to provide for me to carry along and make this happen smoothly . I plan to also make an emergency request to have the interview date moved up earlier in September so his daughter can come with us

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by sumranbi: 3:51am On Aug 25, 2015
VisaOfficer:

I would ask the Embassy or Consulate where you intend to do your interview what their policy is. The one thing I'm sure of is that, if you otherwise qualify, your husband's medical issue won't prevent you from receiving a visa.

Hi! Nairobi Embassy cancelled my DV interview because my husband's medicals are on hold awaiting Sputum Cultures which takes 8 weeks. According to CDC guidelines the rest of the family should be cleared because his sputum smears are negative, but Nairobi seems to have its own add on policy. Is there anything I can do? I was looking forward to this since May 2014 and finally when I go current they aren't even willing to give me an interview. I know it is against the CDC Policy. Will the Embassy just get away with this?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 4:18am On Aug 25, 2015
I am a little confused on the 221g refusals for immigrant visa, mainly the K-1. Reading the website it seems that an applicant cal always address the deficiency that lead to the 221g by submitting the required evidences or documents to the embassy. The applicant will then be placed in administrative processing until a determination is made. What I do not understand though is that sometimes the 221g seems like an unappealable denial based on some peoples posts on other forums. Some say that with the 221g that the petition is sent back to USCIS and the validity is allowed to expire.What is the read deal on the 221g refusal?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:09am On Aug 25, 2015
sumranbi:

Hi! Nairobi Embassy cancelled my DV interview because my husband's medicals are on hold awaiting Sputum Cultures which takes 8 weeks. According to CDC guidelines the rest of the family should be cleared because his sputum smears are negative, but Nairobi seems to have its own add on policy. Is there anything I can do? I was looking forward to this since May 2014 and finally when I go current they aren't even willing to give me an interview. I know it is against the CDC Policy. Will the Embassy just get away with this?

I'd e-mail Nairobi and ask for clarification. There may be other issues that aren't apparent from what you've written?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:15am On Aug 25, 2015
tomyka81:
I am a little confused on the 221g refusals for immigrant visa, mainly the K-1. Reading the website it seems that an applicant cal always address the deficiency that lead to the 221g by submitting the required evidences or documents to the embassy. The applicant will then be placed in administrative processing until a determination is made. What I do not understand though is that sometimes the 221g seems like an unappealable denial based on some peoples posts on other forums. Some say that with the 221g that the petition is sent back to USCIS and the validity is allowed to expire.What is the read deal on the 221g refusal?

221g is the refusal code for cases that are pending. Sometimes it's as simple as "We can't continue until you submit a new affidavit of support [for instance]." But it's also the refusal code for cases that are pending a final decision from USCIS after being returned to them. Once a case has been returned, the next action is the USCIS decision -- but when a petition has expired, they usually don't review the case. Any chance for appeal would come after the USCIS decision -- so often there's no opportunity to appeal a K case. The petitioner is, however, free to file a new petition.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by MrNesta: 12:36pm On Aug 25, 2015
Hello Visaofficer, I'm just now reading that you aren't in lagos anymore. Sad. It's being almost 3weeks since i had my interview and I haven't heard any news concerning my passport from the dhl office. Does it take that long typically?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by vivixander: 3:21pm On Aug 25, 2015
Hello Consular Officer:
I know you're no longer in Nigeria but if you're still checking this thread, can you help me? This is for an approved I600 petition. The case status check today showed the following:

Case Creation Date: xx-Aug-2015
Status Updated Date: xx-Aug-2015

Your case is ready for your interview when scheduled at the U.S. Consular section. If you have already scheduled an appointment for an interview, please prepare your documents as directed in your appointment letter and appear at the consulate on the appointed date and time. Otherwise, please wait until you have been notified of your interview appointment. Additional information about how Immigrant Visa interview appointments are scheduled can be found at: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3731.html

What are the next steps? Should we wait to be contacted by the embassy or should we be proactive and contact them first? What about medical? Should we go ahead and get it done? Thanks for all you've done for Nairalanders. Goodluck in your new post.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Rudolfchris(m): 3:58pm On Aug 25, 2015
Hello VO,
I really want to commend you for proffering solutions to numerous questions in this forum. My mum who's an American citizen filled for an immigration visa for me in 2014, document review has be done and application approved pending the availability of visa number. Please I want to know how long I have wait for the visa number to be available owning to the fact that I am above 21 years.

Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ohzee64: 5:23pm On Aug 25, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Wow, I'm surprised to hear this! But good for you. Just bring whatever evidence you have handy, and answer the questions honestly. Let us know how it goes.
Do you think there is a chance we won't get stoked? If the evidence I bring is sufficient. .not too worried but the pressure lol. .what are the chances of us getting approved that day I'm hoping to come back to the us with my fiance or worse case marry while I'm there. Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 10:02pm On Aug 25, 2015
VisaOfficer:

221g is the refusal code for cases that are pending. Sometimes it's as simple as "We can't continue until you submit a new affidavit of support [for instance]." But it's also the refusal code for cases that are pending a final decision from USCIS after being returned to them. Once a case has been returned, the next action is the USCIS decision -- but when a petition has expired, they usually don't review the case. Any chance for appeal would come after the USCIS decision -- so often there's no opportunity to appeal a K case. The petitioner is, however, free to file a new petition.

I am following sloooowly though. For a case to be send from the embassy to the USCIS for a final decision would mean that USCIS overlooked something about the petitioner and therefore the CO or VO identified it and sent it back for review. Am I wrong? And if there is a decision to be made by the USCIS for further review then that would mean that there really doesn't exist a NOA2 and therefore can't expire because the case is needing readjudication or an adjudication by USCIS in regard to the petitioner. So for the 221g refusal that is sent back to the USCIS, the petitioner would force a final review and final NOA2. If the NOA2 is positive then it should be sent back through the process not refile a second petition? We are 24 days from our interview (fiances interview). I feel better and calmer when I understand processes more. Does that make sense though what I wrote?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:54pm On Aug 25, 2015
MrNesta:
Hello Visaofficer, I'm just now reading that you aren't in lagos anymore. Sad. It's being almost 3weeks since i had my interview and I haven't heard any news concerning my passport from the dhl office. Does it take that long typically?

It depends what's happening with the case. It might be a good idea to e-mail the Consulate and ask for an update.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:56pm On Aug 25, 2015
vivixander:
Hello Consular Officer:
I know you're no longer in Nigeria but if you're still checking this thread, can you help me? This is for an approved I600 petition. The case status check today showed the following:

Case Creation Date: xx-Aug-2015
Status Updated Date: xx-Aug-2015

Your case is ready for your interview when scheduled at the U.S. Consular section. If you have already scheduled an appointment for an interview, please prepare your documents as directed in your appointment letter and appear at the consulate on the appointed date and time. Otherwise, please wait until you have been notified of your interview appointment. Additional information about how Immigrant Visa interview appointments are scheduled can be found at: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3731.html

What are the next steps? Should we wait to be contacted by the embassy or should we be proactive and contact them first? What about medical? Should we go ahead and get it done? Thanks for all you've done for Nairalanders. Goodluck in your new post.

It's probably a good idea to e-mail LagosIV@state.gov and ask for an update. I'd wait to schedule the medical appointment until you know the interview date.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:57pm On Aug 25, 2015
Rudolfchris:
Hello VO,
I really want to commend you for proffering solutions to numerous questions in this forum. My mum who's an American citizen filled for an immigration visa for me in 2014, document review has be done and application approved pending the availability of visa number. Please I want to know how long I have wait for the visa number to be available owning to the fact that I am above 21 years.

Thanks.

How old were you when the petition was filed? Are you married?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ajigiteri(m): 10:57pm On Aug 25, 2015
Good day V.O,
Please I intend to apply for US visiting visa. How do I go about it? My fiance is a citizen of US and she resides there, she's not permitted to visit me here in Nigeria at her place of work because she just got the job. I want to visit her before the end of this year, she's ready to do the filing Pls what do I need to do. Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by MrNesta: 11:18pm On Aug 25, 2015
I just did, can anything go wrong at this point?
VisaOfficer:

It depends what's happening with the case. It might be a good idea to e-mail the Consulate and ask for an update.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by justwise(m): 12:19am On Aug 26, 2015
@VisaOfficer

Sorry the software got you again...i don't know what you have done to it lately grin

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Abatoy: 12:32am On Aug 26, 2015
Hi VO, my fiancé went for interview Feb 2015 and was issued 221g. The case was returned to USCIS. I called USCIS after the case expired in April to asked if I can file another K1 petition but i was told not to because the case is being reviewed. USCIS said I will get a response when the case is reviewed. My question is, can my fiancé apply for a visiting Visa? I change my job and I can't take anytime off at the moment from work. My employer are willing to write me a letter stating that I can get a time off at the moment. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by olukenny12: 1:01am On Aug 26, 2015
hello

my dad wife in u.s have spoken with the u.s lab and she was told that they will send my dna result to the embassy on the 08/27/2015 so what date did e likely, I will ask to come to the embassy?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Rudolfchris(m): 9:20am On Aug 26, 2015
VisaOfficer:

How old were you when the petition was filed? Are you married?

I was 28years old when the petition was filed and I'm not married.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 11:57am On Aug 26, 2015
VisaOfficer:

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .

Thanks. will ask them
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Omoare80: 12:51pm On Aug 26, 2015
Hi VO. Thanks for your previous advise about getting new passport which I already have a new passport with my correct age. NVC sent us a checklist email early this month requesting for Civil document that my wife already sent to them since June but I read from many forums talking about false checklist and my wife called NVC which the documents was confirmed by NVC on their system. They advised my wife not to send the documents cos it will be delayed for another 30 days and they put it on supervisor review... Now so many people are getting September interview date already on VJ forum in their countries. Please VO I want to know if NVC already scheduled September interview for IR1 visa categories in Nigeria it's my 4 months now with NVC...

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:40pm On Aug 26, 2015
ohzee64:

Do you think there is a chance we won't get stoked? If the evidence I bring is sufficient. .not too worried but the pressure lol. .what are the chances of us getting approved that day I'm hoping to come back to the us with my fiance or worse case marry while I'm there. Thanks

I really can't answer any of these questions. I can't speak for a post where I've never been assigned. Good luck!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:44pm On Aug 26, 2015
tomyka81:

I am following sloooowly though. For a case to be send from the embassy to the USCIS for a final decision would mean that USCIS overlooked something about the petitioner and therefore the CO or VO identified it and sent it back for review. Am I wrong? And if there is a decision to be made by the USCIS for further review then that would mean that there really doesn't exist a NOA2 and therefore can't expire because the case is needing readjudication or an adjudication by USCIS in regard to the petitioner. So for the 221g refusal that is sent back to the USCIS, the petitioner would force a final review and final NOA2. If the NOA2 is positive then it should be sent back through the process not refile a second petition? We are 24 days from our interview (fiances interview). I feel better and calmer when I understand processes more. Does that make sense though what I wrote?

Mmmm, not exactly. A petition is returned to USCIS when an officer discovers new information that wasn't available to USCIS, or information that contradicts information in the petition; or when there isn't enough evidence presented to support the petition. I-129F petitions are only valid for four months, so usually if they expire before USCIS has a chance to review them, they're administratively closed without further action from anyone.

The process you're alluding to applies more to I-130 petitions. When an I-130 is returned to USCIS, they do contact the petitioner and give him or her the opportunity to respond. and based on that response it's possible that the petition will be reaffirmed. But it's very rare that an I-129F petition will be reaffirmed. In most cases, I-129Fs simply expire.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:45pm On Aug 26, 2015
ajigiteri:
Good day V.O,
Please I intend to apply for US visiting visa. How do I go about it? My fiance is a citizen of US and she resides there, she's not permitted to visit me here in Nigeria at her place of work because she just got the job. I want to visit her before the end of this year, she's ready to do the filing Pls what do I need to do. Thanks.

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:47pm On Aug 26, 2015
MrNesta:
I just did, can anything go wrong at this point?

Yes. Right up until you have your visa in your hands, many things can happen. In most cases, everything is fine, but sometimes new derogatory information comes to light, there's a technical glitch, etc. These are only a small percentage of cases, but in the interest of answering your question accurately: Yes.

(1) (2) (3) ... (200) (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.