Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,372 members, 7,829,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:10 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (679599 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:25pm On Aug 07, 2014
Ddream77: Hahaha... thanks a lot V.O grin. Thanks once again I think I now have an insight.
Besides, what is my case looking like, Good, Bad or Ugly?

I'm afraid I don't have an answer yet. As soon as I do, we'll contact you!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by miz4oxley(m): 5:38pm On Aug 07, 2014
Hello Ma,

Oh, like I said earlier ma. I was at the consulate this afternoon to drop off my passport for the correction to be made on my IV DOB. But, the Madam who collected my passport and the visa package seem not to ask me any question on my reason for returning the visa for correction, but, I noticed she just checked the VISA and the passport information page. I want to believe it will be traced to the query mail I sent in for the correction.

Job welldone ma'am,

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by cute2014: 5:45pm On Aug 07, 2014
Hello Ma'am,its with pleasure that I write to tell you that we picked up our visas today.They were printed last Thursday July 31st.With their receipt my family has started enjoying God's Supernatural Upgrade in all areas especially financially.Before now it was favor.I do not take this opportunity for granted,I pray that with the opportunity US affords we will be able to make a difference to our generation and also be worthy ambassadors of Nigeria.IJMN.
I am writing u all these with tears of joy on my face and with so much emotions that I may not be able to put into writing.I look at the visas in awe,so beautiful.
I thank you and each and every one of your indefatigable team for the work you are doing.God bless you all.

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by cindylee: 8:19pm On Aug 07, 2014
Dear consular, please I scheduled an interview for a j-1 visa and was booked on Saturday, 16 August. Everyone finds it strange that it's on Saturday. Could you confirm if this is possible and that candidates will be attended to that saturday? Thanks

The second one is where to pay the SEVIS fee. I have been finding it difficult to find a place. Help please. Thanks so much
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Goodybag(m): 3:35am On Aug 08, 2014
[Hellooooo Visa officer, thanks for your prompt response, you saved meoooo lol!, have delivered your advice, actually they won the arguement, I couldnt educated them more than they did, guess I bury my head in shame lol! No more chopping me into pieces ooo, everything is settled now thanks once again =VisaOfficer]

I am afraid to answer this question because your parents are not going to like the answer! Okay, maybe they will. You have to be a citizen to file for your parents. As soon as you naturalize, you can file the I-130 for each parent. As soon as that case is documentarily complete at the National Visa Center (i.e., it depends how fast and organized you are), NVC will schedule an interview with us. It does NVC a few months to process cases, and then a couple months for the interview to be scheduled... for instance, last week they asked me how many cases we can handle in October. (My answer was "All of them. Whatever you have. Give them to us." We have no backlog!)

But they will have to wait for you to become a U.S. citizen first.

Please remind them that if they chop you into pieces it will be very difficult, physically, for you to file anything for anyone.[/quote]
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:46am On Aug 08, 2014
cindylee: Dear consular, please I scheduled an interview for a j-1 visa and was booked on Saturday, 16 August. Everyone finds it strange that it's on Saturday. Could you confirm if this is possible and that candidates will be attended to that saturday? Thanks

The second one is where to pay the SEVIS fee. I have been finding it difficult to find a place. Help please. Thanks so much

We're planning some Super Saturday interview days to make sure student candidates have a chance to interview, so yes, you'll be attended to that Saturday! (I know because my team's going to help out those days, even though we usually do immigrant visa work.)

I don't know where to pay the SEVIS fee -- that's a question for my non-immigrant colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:47am On Aug 08, 2014
miz4oxley: Hello Ma,

Oh, like I said earlier ma. I was at the consulate this afternoon to drop off my passport for the correction to be made on my IV DOB. But, the Madam who collected my passport and the visa package seem not to ask me any question on my reason for returning the visa for correction, but, I noticed she just checked the VISA and the passport information page. I want to believe it will be traced to the query mail I sent in for the correction.

Job welldone ma'am,

Thanks.

If your last name starts with A, I just issued your corrected visa. Please check with the collection center, say, next Tuesday or Wednesday to see if it's ready to be collected. My sincere apologies for the hassle.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by marymary14(f): 9:40am On Aug 08, 2014
Good morning VO, I wrote to the embassy like you suggested but have not gotten a reply yet. Do I have to resend it?
VisaOfficer:

It's okay to have dual nationality, but I'd like to know more about your case before I tell you everything will be fine. The fewer questions a person has to answer at the point of entry, the better! Please send us an e-mail at LagosIV@state.gov so we can review the case for you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:13am On Aug 08, 2014
marymary14: Good morning VO, I wrote to the embassy like you suggested but have not gotten a reply yet. Do I have to resend it?

No, just be patient. We get a LOT of e-mail. "We hope that you will find your answer below, but we will respond to your query in two business days."
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by marymary14(f): 10:51am On Aug 08, 2014
Thank you! I appreciate the effort.
VisaOfficer:

No, just be patient. We get a LOT of e-mail. "We hope that you will find your answer below, but we will respond to your query in two business days."
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by miz4oxley(m): 11:39am On Aug 08, 2014
Hello Ma,

Thanks very much. I saw your message, and thanks for the correction. I hope you're not over working yourself. Cos, I can boldly rate your efficiency 100%, from nairaland queries, LagosIV mail queries and internal work, still meet deadlines. Kudos to you and your team!

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:24pm On Aug 08, 2014
miz4oxley: Hello Ma,

Thanks very much. I saw your message, and thanks for the correction. I hope you're not over working yourself. Cos, I can boldly rate your efficiency 100%, from nairaland queries, LagosIV mail queries and internal work, still meet deadlines. Kudos to you and your team!

Thank you o! That means a lot to us. Thank you for making our day bright!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by stevewale(m): 12:34pm On Aug 08, 2014
***** Strictly personal opinion or fear *****
While waiting for my case to be approved at Texas Centre, hmmmn kinda afraid US may either shut Nigeria out of visa or fast-track all pending applications because of all these Ebola brouhaha ... I know many pple in my shoes too would be this skeptical too but wont speak up ...lolzz

Please let no one take offence ... just my fear/doubt
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 12:54pm On Aug 08, 2014
Please VO, what are the procedures for getting EB5?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:57pm On Aug 08, 2014
stevewale: ***** Strictly personal opinion or fear *****
While waiting for my case to be approved at Texas Centre, hmmmn kinda afraid US may either shut Nigeria out of visa or fast-track all pending applications because of all these Ebola brouhaha ... I know many pple in my shoes too would be this skeptical too but wont speak up ...lolzz

Please let no one take offence ... just my fear/doubt

I can't imagine either of those things happening. We will continue to process all visa applications as usual. I promise that if I ever hear about significant changes to our visa policies, I will post that information here.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:58pm On Aug 08, 2014
Sacluxpaint: Please VO, what are the procedures for getting EB5?

Please see http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/types/employment.html for information about employment-based visas.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by eoc4ever: 1:09pm On Aug 08, 2014
Good day ma,

Have been following this thread and I must commend that you are God sent, I really appreciate your assistance here to everyone, may God bless you greatly. Pls ma pardon my long write up, I want a clarification and assistance from you. I heard that when one applies for expedite at NVC, the approval comes from Lagos before NVC can complete the case file and then send the file to Lagos for interview. Have also been told that Lagos hardly approve expedite, is that true? Considering the huge backlog at NVC, we've been stuck at NVC for several months and also considering the financial hardship on my spouse running 2 homes {U.S & Nigeria}, the burden is too much on him alone. The whole situation is affecting his health. He was never married before, never had kids before and we so eager to start our life together and have kids of our own as soon as possible. Pls do we stand a chance of expedite approval, if we apply for expedite thru NVC? Your quick response will be highly appreciated ma. God bless
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:52pm On Aug 08, 2014
eoc4ever: Good day ma,

Have been following this thread and I must commend that you are God sent, I really appreciate your assistance here to everyone, may God bless you greatly. Pls ma pardon my long write up, I want a clarification and assistance from you. I heard that when one applies for expedite at NVC, the approval comes from Lagos before NVC can complete the case file and then send the file to Lagos for interview. Have also been told that Lagos hardly approve expedite, is that true? Considering the huge backlog at NVC, we've been stuck at NVC for several months and also considering the financial hardship on my spouse running 2 homes {U.S & Nigeria}, the burden is too much on him alone. The whole situation is affecting his health. He was never married before, never had kids before and we so eager to start our life together and have kids of our own as soon as possible. Pls do we stand a chance of expedite approval, if we apply for expedite thru NVC? Your quick response will be highly appreciated ma. God bless

Greetings and thank you! Yes, it is very difficult to qualify for an expedited appointment. Every applicant we have is eager to reunite with his or her family; every applicant is experiencing some type of hardship as a result of the separation. What you are asking is that your husband should be allowed to move to the front of the queue, in front of the thousands of other spouses whose petitions were filed earlier than your petition was filed. I know it is difficult to wait, but you must wait your turn.

We do approve some expedite requests -- for example, in documented medical emergencies, or when a minor child is here alone because the parents have already traveled for some reason. But not wanting to wait for the case to be processed normally is not a sufficient reason to expedite a case.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by eoc4ever: 2:18pm On Aug 08, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Greetings and thank you! Yes, it is very difficult to qualify for an expedited appointment. Every applicant we have is eager to reunite with his or her family; every applicant is experiencing some type of hardship as a result of the separation. What you are asking is that your husband should be allowed to move to the front of the queue, in front of the thousands of other spouses whose petitions were filed earlier than your petition was filed. I know it is difficult to wait, but you must wait your turn.

We do approve some expedite requests -- for example, in documented medical emergecies, or when a minor child is here alone because the parents have already traveled for some reason. But not wanting to wait for the case to be processed normally is not a sufficient reason to expedite a case.

Thanks a lot ma for the swift response, its greatly appreciated. We thought financial hardship can be a reason for expedite. Thanks for the clarification
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by maxmathew: 3:07pm On Aug 08, 2014
thank you for your priceless service.
I went for immigration visa interview this week. These are our conversation-
VO asked me- are you married or single?
Me: single, never married
VO: do you play DV?
Me: yes,
Then VO opened package beside him and show me pic of my ex house mate.
VO: do you know this person?
Me: yes, we used to live in the same house when i was in school, she was computer science student and i once gave her my info to play dv for me but we did not have any relationship let alone marriage.
VO: OK
And VO kept on typing and moved on to another question. I was later denied.

Sir/Ma, I can't sleep since then. I never date this lady let alone engaged, we were just friends with benefits. she did not for once tell me that she played 'double' with me. I gave her my info to play DV on my behalf because she has access to internet. only thing I know about her is just her first name, I don't know her middle or surname, her age or address. In fact, last time i saw her was Oct. 2010 during our convocation.
I don't know if this is what affected my case because i had a very good case.
I'm dying in silence. Her did is haunting my future. How will I divorce someone I never married or someone i don't even know? Please help me.
Our case number ends with LGS....2043.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by iyaaliyah: 8:52pm On Aug 08, 2014
Hello VisaOfficer, you are doing a great job here. Weldone!! I have been a silent reader of nairaland until now that I needed answers to some questions. Had to read through and thank God I found a similar issue. Pls my question is exactly the issue of adoption asked by 007 on behalf of a lady whowe adoption process was not completed before an interview date.

Pls, can I know my chances. Am afraid because I have been granted visa, my husband inclusive but we didn't disclose the issue of a child in our KCC form. Can that affect our visas if we decide to reapply with the adoption certificate? Does the child stand the chances of being issued visa. This has been an heartache for me, I will appreciate your swift response. Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by aolatunde00: 9:43pm On Aug 08, 2014
Good evening ma"am.
My husband and I are renewing our US visas and are qualified for the Dropbox application.When booking our appointments though,the system asked for my first name and I gave just that without my middle name which is also on my passport.
My ds-160,gtbank receipt and passports(previous and present) all have my surname,first name and middle name.
The appointment confirmation page for my Dropbox appointment has my surname and first name only.
Should I be worried?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by chrispr: 1:41am On Aug 09, 2014
Hello,

First off, thank you very much for offering us your time and knowledge.

I'm trying to find some information, my friend is a US citizen, he used to live in Dominican Republic, hope this doesn't affect you being able to inform me, there he had a relationship with a girl, never married her, but got her pregnant at least that's why he thought at the time, he was there for the birth and appears in the birth certificate as the father, after the child was born he went to the US to live and work and left them in the Dominican Republic with his mother, after 4 year he went back to leave a power of attorney to his mother to start the petition process for the kid but since he was already there before he came back, he did a DNA test (they take the sample over there but they send the samples to a lab in the US to perform the test). He received the results today in the US but his mother had already filed the papers to start the petition process today or yesterday. The thing is the results came back negative, he is not the kids father but his family and mother over there already love the kid like he is part of the family, he doesn't want anything else to do with the mother and the kid anymore because he always had the doubt in the back of his mind that it wasn't his. Although he knows the kid is not to blame and since the process is already started, he doesn't mind if the US gives the kid the US citizenship but since his mom submitted the papers for a biological son petition, he wants to know if it would impact him negatively if he let's the process run its course or should he stop the process to not get into any problems with the US government.

Thank you in advance for your time and help. It's much appreciated.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by lafad11(m): 2:38pm On Aug 09, 2014
Hello VO,
You are really doing a great job ma, all I can say is God bless you abundantly. * just passing by.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by HOTWATER(m): 6:36pm On Aug 09, 2014
Vo , please how long on the average does it take , if you spouse petitioner is an LPR for the K1 visa to be issued .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VCTROKOYE: 1:22am On Aug 11, 2014
Hi. I am still on conversion of F2B (family sponsored) to F1. Please I want to find out the following
1. If I need to retain F2B, who between the petitioner and beneficiary should write the letter?
2. I have relocated legally to another country and would want to be interviewed in my current country of residence. Please how would I accompanied that.
3. Must the petitioner be in US at the time of my visa interview.
Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:41am On Aug 11, 2014
maxmathew: thank you for your priceless service.
I went for immigration visa interview this week. These are our conversation-
VO asked me- are you married or single?
Me: single, never married
VO: do you play DV?
Me: yes,
Then VO opened package beside him and show me pic of my ex house mate.
VO: do you know this person?
Me: yes, we used to live in the same house when i was in school, she was computer science student and i once gave her my info to play dv for me but we did not have any relationship let alone marriage.
VO: OK
And VO kept on typing and moved on to another question. I was later denied.

Sir/Ma, I can't sleep since then. I never date this lady let alone engaged, we were just friends with benefits. she did not for once tell me that she played 'double' with me. I gave her my info to play DV on my behalf because she has access to internet. only thing I know about her is just her first name, I don't know her middle or surname, her age or address. In fact, last time i saw her was Oct. 2010 during our convocation.
I don't know if this is what affected my case because i had a very good case.
I'm dying in silence. Her did is haunting my future. How will I divorce someone I never married or someone i don't even know? Please help me.
Our case number ends with LGS....2043.

Good morning,

Unfortunately there's not enough information in what you've written to give me an idea of the reason for the denial. If you played the lottery in the past as someone's spouse and now you're claiming you were never married to her, that's a red flag, but it would not be the only reason your interview was unsuccessful.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:54am On Aug 11, 2014
iyaaliyah: Hello VisaOfficer, you are doing a great job here. Weldone!! I have been a silent reader of nairaland until now that I needed answers to some questions. Had to read through and thank God I found a similar issue. Pls my question is exactly the issue of adoption asked by 007 on behalf of a lady whowe adoption process was not completed before an interview date.

Pls, can I know my chances. Am afraid because I have been granted visa, my husband inclusive but we didn't disclose the issue of a child in our KCC form. Can that affect our visas if we decide to reapply with the adoption certificate? Does the child stand the chances of being issued visa. This has been an heartache for me, I will appreciate your swift response. Thank you.

I'm a little taken aback by this question, as it sounds like you're asking me how to skirt the law. If the adoption was finalized before you submitted the DV entry (which would have been Oct.-Nov. 2012), yes, you should have included the child on your original entry; and if you did not, you are not entitled to the Diversity Visas which you're apparently holding.

If the adoption was finalized after you entered the lottery, you could have included the child without penalty. We will have a great many questions about why you didn't mention this at your own interview, but if you really did adopt this child legally, feel free to e-mail us at LagosIV@state.gov.

I have to tell you that in the last Diversity Visa / adoption case I saw, all the adoption documents were fraudulent, and not only did the child not receive a visa, but the parents' Diversity Visas were cancelled. They are now permanently ineligible for both material misrepresentation and attempted human smuggling. So we very carefully review all adoption documents that are submitted.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:57am On Aug 11, 2014
aolatunde00: Good evening ma"am.
My husband and I are renewing our US visas and are qualified for the Dropbox application.When booking our appointments though,the system asked for my first name and I gave just that without my middle name which is also on my passport.
My ds-160,gtbank receipt and passports(previous and present) all have my surname,first name and middle name.
The appointment confirmation page for my Dropbox appointment has my surname and first name only.
Should I be worried?

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:04am On Aug 11, 2014
chrispr: Hello,

First off, thank you very much for offering us your time and knowledge.

I'm trying to find some information, my friend is a US citizen, he used to live in Dominican Republic, hope this doesn't affect you being able to inform me, there he had a relationship with a girl, never married her, but got her pregnant at least that's why he thought at the time, he was there for the birth and appears in the birth certificate as the father, after the child was born he went to the US to live and work and left them in the Dominican Republic with his mother, after 4 year he went back to leave a power of attorney to his mother to start the petition process for the kid but since he was already there before he came back, he did a DNA test (they take the sample over there but they send the samples to a lab in the US to perform the test). He received the results today in the US but his mother had already filed the papers to start the petition process today or yesterday. The thing is the results came back negative, he is not the kids father but his family and mother over there already love the kid like he is part of the family, he doesn't want anything else to do with the mother and the kid anymore because he always had the doubt in the back of his mind that it wasn't his. Although he knows the kid is not to blame and since the process is already started, he doesn't mind if the US gives the kid the US citizenship but since his mom submitted the papers for a biological son petition, he wants to know if it would impact him negatively if he let's the process run its course or should he stop the process to not get into any problems with the US government.

Thank you in advance for your time and help. It's much appreciated.

Unfortunately the child is not eligible for this visa category, because your friend is neither his biological father nor his stepfather (he was never married to the child's mother). It would be nice if your friend alerted USCIS now instead of letting them spend time working on the case, but either way, there won't be any repercussions for your friend.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by atinaewa: 8:05am On Aug 11, 2014
Dear CO, Pls., I need ur assistance. I made an error on my A-number when I was making my USCIS payment. I'm still in Nigeria. How do I go about the correction, pls.? Thanx
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:07am On Aug 11, 2014
HOTWATER: Vo , please how long on the average does it take , if you spouse petitioner is an LPR for the K1 visa to be issued .

K1 visas are only for fiances, and only U.S. citizens can file K1 petitions.

If the LPR petitioner is a spouse (not a fiance), the current wait time (from when the petition is documentarily complete and approved by the National Visa Center) is just over two years. The petition is the I-130 and the visa category is F2A.

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.