Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,609 members, 7,809,232 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:13 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (677224 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:30am On Jul 14, 2014
Lakeside4christ: Hello visa officer, i want to ask this on behalf of one of my friend...he just knw last week dat he won in d 2014 dv lottery and he av sent his form immediately...pls wat is d chances of him being interview before d end of d fiscal year?

It depends what his case number is. Right now we're seeing cases at and below 17400. That means that if someone's case number is 2014AF00017367, he can be scheduled for an interview, but if it's 2014AF00017401, it's not ready to be scheduled yet. In August the number is expected to go up to 25000 and below, and after that, well, September is the last month...
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Tagbol: 9:02am On Jul 14, 2014
Hi VO, pls does it matter if my hubby's condition on marriage cert states bachelor and he actually got a divorce from a customary court over 4 years ago from a traditional marriage which didn't last a year with no kid? We got married few months ago in Nigeria and I'm abt filing for him to come join me here. Tanx
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Adeboy007(m): 9:33am On Jul 14, 2014
VisaOfficer:

I'm not seeing any inquiries about adoptions and Diversity Visas in our inbox. Could you ask her to send it again? Maybe if she mentions Nairaland someone will forward it to me.

Have a good weekend, everyone!

Good Mowin VO, am very sure u have a great weekend

I am here again Madam,...

Re-inquiries on Adoption Process ongoing (on-behalf of a woman)

This is to inform you that the lady has resend the e-mail to LagosIV@state.gov on Friday last week and also resend it today Monday ...

She indicate also that "A member of Nairaland's Thread Adeboy007 is making inquiries on her behalf through the VO's Thread"

Please kindly reply her.. Thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:45pm On Jul 14, 2014
Tagbol: Hi VO, pls does it matter if my hubby's condition on marriage cert states bachelor and he actually got a divorce from a customary court over 4 years ago from a traditional marriage which didn't last a year with no kid? We got married few months ago in Nigeria and I'm abt filing for him to come join me here. Tanx

That shouldn't be a problem. Good luck!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:45pm On Jul 14, 2014
Adeboy007:

Good Mowin VO, am very sure u have a great weekend

I am here again Madam,...

Re-inquiries on Adoption Process ongoing (on-behalf of a woman)

This is to inform you that the lady has resend the e-mail to LagosIV@state.gov on Friday last week and also resend it today Monday ...

She indicate also that "A member of Nairaland's Thread Adeboy007 is making inquiries on her behalf through the VO's Thread"

Please kindly reply her.. Thank you

Found it. She should have a reply from us soon.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by rastery: 4:55pm On Jul 14, 2014
@visaofficer thanks for the reply the other day more grace I pray for you,please my case number is 20150007138x please my question is this if I submit my ds260 this month when will I be likely shedueled for an appointment in cotonou embassy starting from october cos the number of people selected are 1700+ can't really remember the last two figures
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by pleple09: 5:16pm On Jul 14, 2014
HI! My name is april from the Philippines and my priority date is 12MARCH2010 with preference category of F2B.
The Consulate sent me a letter last September 2010 regarding my Case number.

I would like to ask because i just saw in the US consulate website regarding the ff:

One Year Contact Requirement
After you receive notification that the NVC is processing your case, you must contact them at least once a year. If you do not contact the NVC for one year, all documents and fees on your case will expire and you must resubmit them to resume processing.
If my parents wasn't able to follow up then that means that my petition is now invalid.?
attached is the NVC's message when i checked my case status, what does it mean literally.?
It really makes me sad. can anyone please help me with this.
I am currently living and working in Dubai would it be possible to forward my petition from the philippines to here.?

I will wait for anyone's help. Please kindly reply. Thank you very much.

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by wal02: 5:58pm On Jul 14, 2014
Hi vo thank you for a good job you are doing here,i have a question to ask
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by wal02: 7:12pm On Jul 14, 2014
Hi VO,please am new here,i have a question bothering me,i am in a relationship with a Legal permanent resident,we have been dating from university but later loose contact and he got married to someone else,he later won a visa lottery and travel with his wife to US. He came back to Nigeria in 2012 and we met again through a friend after and he explain his marriage is suffering breakdown and even his wife already filed for a divorce.And we started our relationship again as am still single.His wife filed a divorce paper yet to finalize but they are separated for over two years now,we hope to get married soon after the divorce,he has been visiting me twice a year since then and even visited again two months ago.my question now is,can we get married as soon as he divorced,how would this affect us since we have been dating before he divorce and how long can this process take if he file for me as his spouse and again have once applied for non immigrant visa in 2011 and got denied.what are my chances.Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by oretemmy: 8:05pm On Jul 14, 2014
Hello visa officer. I really appreciate your kind gesture on here . I planing of apply for Us visa soon but I don't know whether to use invitation letter or apply as tourist using hotel reservation . secondly I have been to Ghana and Senegal and its indicated on my passport as departure and arrival stamps will this give an ego . and pls what other document should I support with my application because I got a family ties of 2kids and wife and also a good job with Ogun state government . pls sir your kind response is needed .thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Tagbol: 1:23am On Jul 15, 2014
VisaOfficer:

That shouldn't be a problem. Good luck!
Tagbol: Hi VO, pls does it matter if my hubby's condition on marriage cert states bachelor and he actually got a divorce from a customary court over 4 years ago from a traditional marriage which didn't last a year with no kid? We got married few months ago in Nigeria and I'm abt filing for him to come join me here. Tanx

Thanks for ur response VO. I got confused by a couple of friends who said the marriage certificate should have stated "divorcee" because I'll be attaching the divorce decree he got for the previous relationship and the fact that the marriage cert states bachelor would confuse officers at USCIS. He had applied 4 a non-immigrant visa when he was with the other lady, putn her name as his wife back then. So I'm worried cos I wouldn't want any delay. I'm really keen on getn the petition done as quick as possible, if possible I want him here b4 our 1st child so I won't hv to go thru labour and baby sitn all by myself. That's why I'm trying to get everything intact. I've traveled down to him over 3 times in d last 15 months. Do you still think it wouldn't be a problem? Thanks once again for your time.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by priest2u(m): 7:03am On Jul 15, 2014
Hi Visaofficer,
I have an approved H1B petition beginning October 1 2014, currently in the USA working with OPT. I intend to apply for H1B stamping along with fiance( would have become my wife at the time I appear for the interview). Please what document do I need ? Can we appear together for the interview? Please guide on what document I need for H1b stamping along with H4 for my wife.

Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:22am On Jul 15, 2014
rastery: @visaofficer thanks for the reply the other day more grace I pray for you,please my case number is 20150007138x please my question is this if I submit my ds260 this month when will I be likely shedueled for an appointment in cotonou embassy starting from october cos the number of people selected are 1700+ can't really remember the last two figures

Hi! I don't know yet what the schedule for 2015 will look like. After Oct. 1 you can check the Visa Bulletin: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/law-and-policy/bulletin.html There's a special section for Diversity Visa numbers.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:24am On Jul 15, 2014
pleple09: HI! My name is april from the Philippines and my priority date is 12MARCH2010 with preference category of F2B.
The Consulate sent me a letter last September 2010 regarding my Case number.

I would like to ask because i just saw in the US consulate website regarding the ff:

One Year Contact Requirement
After you receive notification that the NVC is processing your case, you must contact them at least once a year. If you do not contact the NVC for one year, all documents and fees on your case will expire and you must resubmit them to resume processing.
If my parents wasn't able to follow up then that means that my petition is now invalid.?
attached is the NVC's message when i checked my case status, what does it mean literally.?
It really makes me sad. can anyone please help me with this.
I am currently living and working in Dubai would it be possible to forward my petition from the philippines to here.?

I will wait for anyone's help. Please kindly reply. Thank you very much.

Hi April! Just send NVC an e-mail every six months or so asking about the status of your case. They'll enter a case note and update the "last contact" field. If by any chance your petition is put into "termination status," just e-mail them and ask them to reinstate your case. NVC is usually pretty reasonable about that, as long as too much time hasn't gone by.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:26am On Jul 15, 2014
wal02: Hi VO,please am new here,i have a question bothering me,i am in a relationship with a Legal permanent resident,we have been dating from university but later loose contact and he got married to someone else,he later won a visa lottery and travel with his wife to US. He came back to Nigeria in 2012 and we met again through a friend after and he explain his marriage is suffering breakdown and even his wife already filed for a divorce.And we started our relationship again as am still single.His wife filed a divorce paper yet to finalize but they are separated for over two years now,we hope to get married soon after the divorce,he has been visiting me twice a year since then and even visited again two months ago.my question now is,can we get married as soon as he divorced,how would this affect us since we have been dating before he divorce and how long can this process take if he file for me as his spouse and again have once applied for non immigrant visa in 2011 and got denied.what are my chances.Thanks.

Greetings! Your non-immigrant denial won't adversely affect your immigrant petition (unless you were denied for criminal or other similarly interesting reasons). As long as you have a bona fide relationship with your future spouse, it doesn't really matter when you get married -- we just want you to be able to discuss the relationship credibly. Given that she's an LPR, the wait time is running around two years, give or take. Good luck!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:29am On Jul 15, 2014
oretemmy: Hello visa officer. I really appreciate your kind gesture on here . I planing of apply for Us visa soon but I don't know whether to use invitation letter or apply as tourist using hotel reservation . secondly I have been to Ghana and Senegal and its indicated on my passport as departure and arrival stamps will this give an ego . and pls what other document should I support with my application because I got a family ties of 2kids and wife and also a good job with Ogun state government . pls sir your kind response is needed .thank you

My kind response will not be very helpful, because I will direct you to my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening . They will not be able to give you specific instructions, though. Every case is different and too many factors go into making a non-immigrant decision to hazard a guess based on what you've written here.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:30am On Jul 15, 2014
Tagbol:

Thanks for ur response VO. I got confused by a couple of friends who said the marriage certificate should have stated "divorcee" because I'll be attaching the divorce decree he got for the previous relationship and the fact that the marriage cert states bachelor would confuse officers at USCIS. He had applied 4 a non-immigrant visa when he was with the other lady, putn her name as his wife back then. So I'm worried cos I wouldn't want any delay. I'm really keen on getn the petition done as quick as possible, if possible I want him here b4 our 1st child so I won't hv to go thru labour and baby sitn all by myself. That's why I'm trying to get everything intact. I've traveled down to him over 3 times in d last 15 months. Do you still think it wouldn't be a problem? Thanks once again for your time.

Based on what you've written here (and understanding that there may be factors I'm not aware of), it sounds like there shouldn't be a problem.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:31am On Jul 15, 2014
priest2u: Hi Visaofficer,
I have an approved H1B petition beginning October 1 2014, currently in the USA working with OPT. I intend to apply for H1B stamping along with fiance( would have become my wife at the time I appear for the interview). Please what document do I need ? Can we appear together for the interview? Please guide on what document I need for H1b stamping along with H4 for my wife.

Thanks

My H1B knowledge is extremely limiited. Please ask my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:35am On Jul 15, 2014
A quick heads up that Nigerian law enforcement officers are taking a greater interest in our Diversity Visa applicants. Specifically, several imposters have been detained by Nigerian law enforcement after their interviews at the Consulate recently. If you know someone who thinks they can sneak past us with someone else's application package, tell them not to risk it! We have very sophisticated facial recognition software and a very productive relationship with the Nigerian police.

6 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by priest2u(m): 8:07am On Jul 15, 2014
VisaOfficer:

My H1B knowledge is extremely limiited. Please ask my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Thanks I've asked him.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Tagbol: 11:35am On Jul 15, 2014
VisaOfficer:
Based on what you've written here (and understanding that there may be factors I'm not aware of), it sounds like there shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks VO, that's the whole story, there is nothing more to it. That's just the grey area. Everything else is perfect. I was worried about USCIS because there wouldn't be any platform to explain to them unlike when he comes for his interview at the Embassy. Thanks and God bless!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by wal02: 1:41pm On Jul 15, 2014
Thanks for your quick response.i was denied based on section 214{b} then, sir what are my chances now.i have a bona fide relationship with him if he file for me now as a LPR and becomes citizen during the processing,how long would this take,and i asked sir how would this affect us since we have been dating before he divorce.Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:34pm On Jul 15, 2014
wal02: Thanks for your quick response.i was denied based on section 214{b} then, sir what are my chances now.i have a bona fide relationship with him if he file for me now as a LPR and becomes citizen during the processing,how long would this take,and i asked sir how would this affect us since we have been dating before he divorce.Thank you.

A simple 214(b) refusal will have no effect whatsoever on an immigrant petition. If you married today and he filed tomorrow as an LPR, you'd have around a two year wait for your interview; if he became a U.S. citizen in the meantime, the case would be current the moment he notified USCIS of the change in his status.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by pepson: 2:59pm On Jul 15, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Well, visas cannot be granted after the Sept. 30 deadline. Your case sounds fairly complicated and I don't want to give you incorrect information; you should wait until your interview and talk to us in person.

The bottom line is that if you have an ineligibility, even if a waiver is available, it's probably too late to get a 2014 Diversity Visa this year. But without seeing your case I don't know if you're ineligible or not.

thanks for the above responds. the DV for which i will be interviewed is in 2015 and not 2014, but for the moment i am tryin to convince my girl friend not to get married to me because we are likely not to be given a visa since she is older than me and the fact that we are young.so it is better for her to send her documents to KCC and be interview alone so that she can have more chances of getting a visa,this is the advice i always tell her,and she keeps up insisting for us to get married,so i have taken my decision not to get married to her because i dont want her to lose this lifetime opportunity.as for me i want to know if my status of inelligibilty can only be known during an interview? can i call the embasssy to find out about my status of ineligibility? and how do we go about to apply for a waiver?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:21pm On Jul 15, 2014
pepson:

thanks for the above responds. the DV for which i will be interviewed is in 2015 and not 2014, but for the moment i am tryin to convince my girl friend not to get married to me because we are likely not to be given a visa since she is older than me and the fact that we are young.so it is better for her to send her documents to KCC and be interview alone so that she can have more chances of getting a visa,this is the advice i always tell her,and she keeps up insisting for us to get married,so i have taken my decision not to get married to her because i dont want her to lose this lifetime opportunity.as for me i want to know if my status of inelligibilty can only be known during an interview? can i call the embasssy to find out about my status of ineligibility? and how do we go about to apply for a waiver?

Your ineligibility, if there is one, is something that pops up for the officer to see when you have an active case in our system. I suppose you could e-mail us at LagosIV@state.gov with your name and date of birth, and we could take a look at your previous case to see what the refusal code was. Instructions for filing a waiver application are at www.uscis.gov/I-601

I really, really can't give you advice as to whether you should get married or not and how that will affect your visa chances. I don't want you to follow my advice, get refused for some other reason that we haven't even thought of at this point, and hate me forever. It's completely your decision (and your girlfriend's). I do have faith that if you have a bona fide relationship it doesn't really matter when you get married -- we'll know if it's a real relationship.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by mbanj4real: 5:08pm On Jul 15, 2014
I was interview on july 7 and my status av nt change. i was told dt i should collect my passport yesterday but nt yet ready.i received a call frm embassy dis morning dat i av collected my passport and i said "no".n ask my wife what name is on ur passport maybe her maiden name or my surname.he said b4 friday. what is d problem
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:37pm On Jul 15, 2014
mbanj4real: I was interview on july 7 and my status av nt change. i was told dt i should collect my passport yesterday but nt yet ready.i received a call frm embassy dis morning dat i av collected my passport and i said "no".n ask my wife what name is on ur passport maybe her maiden name or my surname.he said b4 friday. what is d problem

There's no way to tell from what you've written here. Please e-mail us at LagosIV@state.gov with your name and case number. Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by pepson: 6:49pm On Jul 15, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Your ineligibility, if there is one, is something that pops up for the officer to see when you have an active case in our system. I suppose you could e-mail us at LagosIV@state.gov with your name and date of birth, and we could take a look at your previous case to see what the refusal code was. Instructions for filing a waiver application are at www.uscis.gov/I-601

I really, really can't give you advice as to whether you should get married or not and how that will affect your visa chances. I don't want you to follow my advice, get refused for some other reason that we haven't even thought of at this point, and hate me forever. It's completely your decision (and your girlfriend's). I do have faith that if you have a bona fide relationship it doesn't really matter when you get married -- we'll know if it's a real relationship.

ok thanks i think i will just e-mail my name and date of birth as required
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by AREOLA: 7:48pm On Jul 15, 2014
Hello VO,
We had our interview last friday 11th july nd we were told that our visa would be 4 pick up this friday but  checked d status today nd d status reads ready Pls what does that mean I'm a bit worried. D case number is 2014AF15401.kindly help to fix d problem so that we can pick up  friday.
Thanks nd God bless U̶̲̥̅̊
!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by marymary14(f): 9:15pm On Jul 15, 2014
Hello VO,
I recently won the dv lottery and my interview is slated for the 24th of July, but the problem is I recently realised I had to get a police clearance from other countries I have lived in for 12 months and I just got one but there are typographical errors on it. Want to know if it's going to affect my case.

Regards
Mary
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jul 15, 2014
Thanks so Much for the opportunity to have a direct contact of you here Sir.... I noticed very late that my wife won the 2014 DV and we already send back the filled form to KCC over a month now but Still nothing since then. We've been waiting. Our Case # is 2014AF00014388.
Please, help us check if we are getting our chat date soon before the END. We both rely on this great opportunity so much Sir.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Ddream77: 11:34pm On Jul 15, 2014
Hello VO,
I had my interview last week and was told to pick up my visa on Thursday but when I checked d status as at today, it says ready and last updated on the 11th of july... My case # is 2014AF17107.
Should I still go ahead on Thursday to pick up the visa?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.