Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,771 members, 7,827,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:52 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (679451 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:10pm On Jul 08, 2014
Sacluxpaint: Thanks for replying my post, I have been to the non-immigrant thread and yet to get a reply. All I want to know is if there will be at least some available July slots, if possible end of July because my cousin wants to prepare a letter of invitation. I have told him to hold on because my appointment date is on the 7th of August and the wedding is on the 9th, I don't want that to be used against me during the interview. I would be very grateful if you can advise me on what to do next

I don't work on the non-immigrant side of the house, so I'm afraid I can't advise you. It's my understanding, though, that there are no appointments left in July for non-immigrant visas, due to the very high demand.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jul 08, 2014
VisaOfficer:
Chei! Abeg, who doesn't like the smell of eba?

Chineke! Na correct Warri English you just knack so oooo. You too much! cheesy wink wink

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jul 08, 2014
Hi VO,

I was issued a CR1 visa few days before our 2nd anniversary and i will be entering the USA about 2months later would we still have to pay to remove conditions two years after residency in the USA?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 08, 2014
Hello VO,Im happy to say a big thank you for your timely advise.I got the adoption decree as you have suggested.I was interviewed yesterday with my family and our visas were granted.I dont know may be I figured you out correctly.Were you the Lady in green? I thank God for you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by AREOLA: 5:33pm On Jul 08, 2014
A big thank you to our dear visa officer.God bless you keep doing the good job you are doing here.but pls can you tell me the current exchange rate @ the embasssy cos my interview is this week and we want to pay the visa fees in naira.thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by pepson: 7:41pm On Jul 08, 2014
VisaOfficer:

The person can travel outside his country, but he won't be interviewed for the sibling visa until his case is current.

thanks very much for these reponses,that has helped me clear my doubts and worries, thanks once more!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by aoddy0267: 11:57pm On Jul 08, 2014
b
VisaOfficer:

Well, the issue from my point of view is that if he's living in the UK illegally, I need to know what other illegal activities he may or may not have been engaged in over there, and I probably won't be willing to issue a visa until I'm sure he has a clean record otherwise.

He can use whatever address and phone number he would like.

Thank you vo,he has not/never been engaged in any illegal activity in uk but if there is any other alternative to what he could provide or if there is any way to prove that he has not been engaging in any illegal activity in ,he would provide it..he wouldnt be able to provide police clearance certificate because he is not a citizen,he must be a citizen for him to get the police clearance certificate.the only police clearance certificate,he can provide,wil be his home country(nigeria)police clearance certificate.....I will like to ask if there is any other alternative.....
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by hollaytan: 5:20am On Jul 09, 2014
My fiance is filling k1 petition for me but we are yet to meet in person, will it be asked in the course of my interview, although I have a very good knowlodge aboutr my relationship with her, how can I go about this because she doesn't intend to come to nigeria

Thanks for the good job u are doing here
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:18am On Jul 09, 2014
shidoshi: Hi VO,

I was issued a CR1 visa few days before our 2nd anniversary and i will be entering the USA about 2months later would we still have to pay to remove conditions two years after residency in the USA?

The deciding factor for the question of IR1 versus CR1 is the amount of time that the beneficiary has been married at the time the visa is issued. If the couple has been married for two years or more, it's an IR1 visa. If they have been married less than two years, it's a CR1 visa. And, yes, you'll need to apply to have the conditions removed two years after your LPR card is issued. Again, this is based on the length of time you were married when the visa was issued, rather than on the length of time you'll have been married when you use the visa.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:20am On Jul 09, 2014
Godis4me: Hello VO,Im happy to say a big thank you for your timely advise.I got the adoption decree as you have suggested.I was interviewed yesterday with my family and our visas were granted.I dont know may be I figured you out correctly.Were you the Lady in green? I thank God for you

I can neither confirm nor deny my ladyship or lack thereof, and I can't remember what any of us were wearing on Monday. cool

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:21am On Jul 09, 2014
AREOLA: A big thank you to our dear visa officer.God bless you keep doing the good job you are doing here.but pls can you tell me the current exchange rate @ the embasssy cos my interview is this week and we want to pay the visa fees in naira.thanks.

Today's exchange rate is 170 Naira to the dollar.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:22am On Jul 09, 2014
aoddy0267: Thank you vo,he has not/never been engaged in any illegal activity in uk but if there is any other alternative to what he could provide or if there is any way to prove that he has not been engaging in any illegal activity in ,he would provide it..he wouldnt be able to provide police clearance certificate because he is not a citizen,he must be a citizen for him to get the police clearance certificate.the only police clearance certificate,he can provide,wil be his home country(nigeria)police clearance certificate.....I will like to ask if there is any other alternative.....

I can't imagine that there would be an alternative. We can talk about it when he comes to his interview.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:26am On Jul 09, 2014
hollaytan: My fiance is filling k1 petition for me but we are yet to meet in person, will it be asked in the course of my interview, although I have a very good knowlodge aboutr my relationship with her, how can I go about this because she doesn't intend to come to nigeria

Thanks for the good job u are doing here

It is very difficult to establish that you have a bona fide fiance relationship when you have never met the person face-to-face. It's not impossible, but you'll really have to be extremely credible and convincing to overcome our doubts. If I may ask, why would you want to marry someone you've never actually met? That's a serious question -- maybe your answer will help me be less skeptical when I interview people in your situation.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by godfather007: 11:21am On Jul 09, 2014
VisaOfficer:

I don't know why they updated your name, but it could be that your petition has completed some stage of processing so they updated their lists with your name. I'm just speculating, though. You could e-mail them and ask?

Thank you so much @VO for your time , you're right and today i finally got this..

On July 8, 2014, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this I130 IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE, FIANCE(E), OR ORPHAN. Please follow any instructions on the notice. If you move before you receive the notice, call customer service at 1-800-375-5283

My question now is what is the waiting period before one will be scheduled for an interview ?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 11:31am On Jul 09, 2014
VisaOfficer:

The deciding factor for the question of IR1 versus CR1 is the amount of time that the beneficiary has been married at the time the visa is issued. If the couple has been married for two years or more, it's an IR1 visa. If they have been married less than two years, it's a CR1 visa. And, yes, you'll need to apply to have the conditions removed two years after your LPR card is issued. Again, this is based on the length of time you were married when the visa was issued, rather than on the length of time you'll have been married when you use the visa.

Just to be clear, in the case of a CR1 visa holder making first entry after the two-year anniversary, are they entitled to the IR1 status?
is it possible that One can be issued a CR1 visa and achieve IR1 status upon entry?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:00pm On Jul 09, 2014
shidoshi:

Just to be clear, in the case of a CR1 visa holder making first entry after the two-year anniversary, are they entitled to the IR1 status?
is it possible that One can be issued a CR1 visa and achieve IR1 status upon entry?

No, unfortunately not. If you are issued a CR1 visa, you cannot have IR1 status.

For those of you whose petitions are filed as CR1s but whose second anniversary passes before your appointment, please remind us at the interview that your visa category has changed. The computer doesn't update automatically, and very few visa categories actually change during processing, so we might not remember to check your exact marriage date before we issue the visa.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:02pm On Jul 09, 2014
godfather007:

Thank you so much @VO for your time , you're right and today i finally got this..

On July 8, 2014, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this I130 IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE, FIANCE(E), OR ORPHAN. Please follow any instructions on the notice. If you move before you receive the notice, call customer service at 1-800-375-5283

My question now is what is the waiting period before one will be scheduled for an interview ?

Do I remember correctly that your sibling filed for you? In that case, I'm afraid you still have quite a wait ahead of you. At present we are interviewing people whose siblings filed prior to Dec. 22, 2001 -- around a 12.5 year wait.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by hollaytan: 12:39pm On Jul 09, 2014
VisaOfficer:

It is very difficult to establish that you have a bona fide fiance relationship when you have never met the person face-to-face. It's not impossible, but you'll really have to be extremely credible and convincing to overcome our doubts. If I may ask, why would you want to marry someone you've never actually met? That's a serious question -- maybe your answer will help me be less skeptical when I interview people in your situation.

I great aunt, but I call her mum, she introduced her to me online, she said so much about her personality and religion, I got to know some of this with time after 6month of constant phone conversation and chat, I got fascinated withh her behaviour couple with her good family background as said by my aunt.....I got to know some of her family members I was loved by them and they are in support of the union....we have exchange several pictures and I introduced her to my parents
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by rasky4real: 1:47pm On Jul 09, 2014
Good day V.O, kudos to you as you are taking your time to respond to us on this thread... I Am one of the dv winners and had my interview with my family last month,the interview was successfull. We have collected our visa with the percels. Sir/Ma, there was a mistake on the white sheet stapled with the percels, my parent's name was printed on my wife's sheet while her own was printed on mine but our kid own is correct. hope there is no problem with this/can we still make a correction? because we are travelling any time from now. Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by temmie001: 3:00pm On Jul 09, 2014
Dear VO, just learnt from a friend that you are back , nice to have you back.
My family was denied visa sometimes in May this year.My wife is the principal applicant with me the husband and two daughters aged 20 and 10. A friend in USA played the lottery for us but omitted our first daughter thinking that the cut off age is eighteen years this he told us after the interview. The CO told us during the interview that our first daughter was not included in the initial application hence the denial. However my wife had applied for a USA B1/B2 visa in march 2012 and was given a two year visa with ALL the family information....husband and the two daughters with full and correct name and date of birth.She actually travelled to Houston Texas in May 2012 for a three weeks visit.
Is there any way our case can be reviewed since the whole family details had been previously used to obtain a visa?
Thanks for your kind consideration and assistance.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:47pm On Jul 09, 2014
rasky4real: Good day V.O, kudos to you as you are taking your time to respond to us on this thread... I Am one of the dv winners and had my interview with my family last month,the interview was successfull. We have collected our visa with the percels. Sir/Ma, there was a mistake on the white sheet stapled with the percels, my parent's name was printed on my wife's sheet while her own was printed on mine but our kid own is correct. hope there is no problem with this/can we still make a correction? because we are travelling any time from now. Thanks

Please send us an e-mail at LagosIV@state.gov so we can issue the appropriate corrections. Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:49pm On Jul 09, 2014
temmie001: Dear VO, just learnt from a friend that you are back , nice to have you back.
My family was denied visa sometimes in May this year.My wife is the principal applicant with me the husband and two daughters aged 20 and 10. A friend in USA played the lottery for us but omitted our first daughter thinking that the cut off age is eighteen years this he told us after the interview. The CO told us during the interview that our first daughter was not included in the initial application hence the denial. However my wife had applied for a USA B1/B2 visa in march 2012 and was given a two year visa with ALL the family information....husband and the two daughters with full and correct name and date of birth.She actually travelled to Houston Texas in May 2012 for a three weeks visit.
Is there any way our case can be reviewed since the whole family details had been previously used to obtain a visa?
Thanks for your kind consideration and assistance.

Unfortunately, no, there is nothing that can be done. The Diversity Visa has very few rules, and one of them is that all children under the age of 21 must be listed on the original entry, or the family is disqualified. It doesn't matter what other visas you have applied for; if the Diversity Visa entry was not filled out properly, visas cannot be issued. I wish I had better news for you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:50pm On Jul 09, 2014
hollaytan:

I great aunt, but I call her mum, she introduced her to me online, she said so much about her personality and religion, I got to know some of this with time after 6month of constant phone conversation and chat, I got fascinated withh her behaviour couple with her good family background as said by my aunt.....I got to know some of her family members I was loved by them and they are in support of the union....we have exchange several pictures and I introduced her to my parents

Thanks for responding to my question. It's still going to be difficult to convince us, if you haven't met in person.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by temmie001: 4:45pm On Jul 09, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Unfortunately, no, there is nothing that can be done. The Diversity Visa has very few rules, and one of them is that all children under the age of 21 must be listed on the original entry, or the family is disqualified. It doesn't matter what other visas you have applied for; if the Diversity Visa entry was not filled out properly, visas cannot be issued. I wish I had better news for you.
Thanks so much for your quick response. It is rather unfortunate such error was made on the initial application. Though very very painfu having gone the whole length, but God knows everything, life continues.God bless.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by aariwa(m): 6:10pm On Jul 09, 2014
Good day VO.A friend of mine recently got married to his first cousin in Mexico and it is legal under mexican and wisconsin[although there is a proviso that the female should be past child bearing age which is the case with the present scenario] laws where she resides.She intends to file an application to that effect soon.what documents should he present before interview and the approximate time wait .Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by auto001: 6:24pm On Jul 09, 2014
Good day V.O , Please advice me on how to get a united state transit visa thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by stdammis(m): 9:52pm On Jul 09, 2014
Good evening dear visa officer, a good work you are doing here, we really appreciate all you've bn doing, God bess you
I was at the embassy last week wednesday for my interview(DV), but my case was a bit different as a guy showed up with my name and my appointment letter,thank God the was caught and arrested and my visa was approved.....now, the CO told me to pick my visa up today, but on getting to the address given, they told me it hasn't got to them yet. So I checked the visa tracker site and the status still reads READY, from what I noticed, the updated date kept changing, initially it was 3, july, den 8, july, and now 9, july, but the status still reads ready......pls dear VO, I hope all is well with this my case. Thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:15am On Jul 10, 2014
aariwa: Good day VO.A friend of mine recently got married to his first cousin in Mexico and it is legal under mexican and wisconsin[although there is a proviso that the female should be past child bearing age which is the case with the present scenario] laws where she resides.She intends to file an application to that effect soon.what documents should he present before interview and the approximate time wait .Thanks.

It depends whether his cousin is a Legal Permanent Resident or a U.S. citizen, and whether your friend is chargeable to Mexico or somewhere else. Could you clarify?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:16am On Jul 10, 2014
auto001: Good day V.O , Please advice me on how to get a united state transit visa thanks

Please ask my colleagues at the non-immigrant visa thread: https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by iamnewhere: 7:25am On Jul 10, 2014
[quote author=Iamnewhere]

Thank You Sir for your quick reply,

I have checked it on http://en.wikipedia.org it states that in California first cousin marriage is allowed. Now there is a problem i want to discuss. One of my friend also married to his cousin in States but his cousin had a paper marriage with some guy for the purpose of bringing him into states. Now at the time when my friend got married with his cousin her wife didnt file the divorce case but after some period she did. Now the problem is my friends nikkah happened before the divorce suit was filed now his immigration lawyer has asked him to change the marriage commencement date on his nikkah form which is impossible so is there any way to process his immigration case without changing the date on Nikkah form.

Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:27am On Jul 10, 2014
stdammis: Good evening dear visa officer, a good work you are doing here, we really appreciate all you've bn doing, God bess you
I was at the embassy last week wednesday for my interview(DV), but my case was a bit different as a guy showed up with my name and my appointment letter,thank God the was caught and arrested and my visa was approved.....now, the CO told me to pick my visa up today, but on getting to the address given, they told me it hasn't got to them yet. So I checked the visa tracker site and the status still reads READY, from what I noticed, the updated date kept changing, initially it was 3, july, den 8, july, and now 9, july, but the status still reads ready......pls dear VO, I hope all is well with this my case. Thank you

Hi! Sorry about the suspense, especially after all the other issues with the imposter! Your case (and several others) got held up due to a technical glitch -- it's our computers, not your case specifically. I just went in and fixed the problem by hand, so we should be able to print the visa today and it should be ready for pick-up say next Tuesday at the latest. Please accept my apologies for the delay!

I had a guy yelling at me Tuesday when I told him his visa *should* be ready for pick-up in five business days -- it turns out he had bought a ticket for that weekend, and didn't want to wait. But this is why we tell people not to buy tickets until they have their visa in their hands -- sometimes computer glitches keep us from getting the visas out in time. I'm mentioning this as a public service announcement: Don't buy tickets until your visa is issued and you've checked it for errors! We don't want you to lose money! Or to yell at us.

Also, thank you for mentioning that when imposters show up here, they get arrested. I think the touts and agents fail to mention that when they sell their DV packages to people...
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:33am On Jul 10, 2014
iamnewhere: I have checked it on http://en.wikipedia.org it states that in California first cousin marriage is allowed. Now there is a problem i want to discuss. One of my friend also married to his cousin in States but his cousin had a paper marriage with some guy for the purpose of bringing him into states. Now at the time when my friend got married with his cousin her wife didnt file the divorce case but after some period she did. Now the problem is my friends nikkah happened before the divorce suit was filed now his immigration lawyer has asked him to change the marriage commencement date on his nikkah form which is impossible so is there any way to process his immigration case without changing the date on Nikkah form.

I would get a new lawyer! This one sounds like he's going to get your friend into trouble! The truth is always the best policy. If we know someone's telling the truth, we can help him find a legal way to fix things, but if we catch someone forging documents or shading the truth, we don't know what to believe and are less willing to devote a lot of time to what may be a parcel of falsehoods.

In some states, if you get married before you're properly divorced, as soon as the divorce becomes final the marriage is retroactively valid and legal. What state did your friend get married in? If he got married outside the U.S., what state is he planning to live in?

In the worst case scenario, they could have another nikkah now that the divorce is final, if Islam permits that. Or a quick court marriage if another nikkah's not allowed.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.