Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,971 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:28 AM

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening (818786 Views)

A Comprehensive List Of The Documents Required For Visas / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America / Illegal Immigrant Disguised As A Car Seat Caught (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (229) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 1:29pm On Sep 16, 2014
Deedamzy: hello visa officer am waiting to read from you. please kindly respond to my post.
here is another question : pls I will like to know if it is proper to fill another Ds 160 application form or to retrieve the previous application for the next application. thanks

Please repost your question if it was not addressed. As to your current question, if the information from your past application still applies, then you can retrieve it from the last application, but please do check it for accuracy.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 1:31pm On Sep 16, 2014
buster: Good day VO. I am new to this thread and I need advise. I intend travelling to the USA for a medical conference in Georgia. A well known multi national hospital in India is willing to cover all expenses including flight ticket, hotel and all other expenses. I have a letter from the hospital stating they would cover the expense. But am a little bit worried because they didn't give me their statement of account. Is the statement of account needed at the embassy or would the embassy confirm themselves. And also do I need to present my own statement of account even if am not the one paying for the trip

There are no specific documents that are required at a visa interview. Bring any documents that you have that you believe will support your assertions, but be prepared for the fact that we may not ask you for any. If there are any specific documents that the visa officer wishes to see, they may ask you to come back with those (in some cases).
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by mosopefoluwa: 2:01pm On Sep 16, 2014
Pls dont reapply until afta the 90days. Had same experience today. My docs complete but ts just about 85days ago we were refised. She didnt even ask to see anything. I was refused just like that and on the blue paper it is written there that you are free to reapply at anytime.

Well, for me i'v had enough with this embassy. Will look for other places to go until my heart ministers to me again. I think its just very insulting. Well, not their fault, ts our leaders but even at that not everybody wants to run out of Nigeria. Please give people an opportunity to prove themselves

abujaniv:

Applicants are welcome to reapply 90 days or more after their last interview, but we encourage applicants to research the section of the law under which they were refused (most commonly 214(b)), and assess whether or not anything has significantly changed in their situation that would make them more qualified to receive a visa. As to your specific chances, we cannot and will not speculate as to anyone's chances to be issued a visa.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Deedamzy: 12:11pm On Sep 18, 2014
good day vo, there is a cousin of mine that has been offered an admission in a reputable university in the state but there is a concern in his education documents. his surname on the university certificate and NYSC certificate was wrongly spelt, instead of akanmbi it was written has akambi ( alphabet N is missing in the other) but on all other documents like international passport, birth certificate, primary and secondary school certificate it was rightly spelt as akanmbi. complains has been made to university authority but they say it will take a whole session before the mistake can be amended but there is no certainty it will.

the paramount concern is, hope the little mistake on the surname will not be an hindrance on the day of interview and should he pen it down on DS 160 during the completion of the application form

waiting to read from u asap
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Emblem(m): 1:12pm On Sep 18, 2014
Hello,

I made a mistake on my DS-160 form in which i later filled another one. For the past 3 days, I have been trying to update my profile with the new DS-160 code i just filled but it kept giving me error "Error occurred while loading a visualforce page". Please what can i do as my interview is tomorrow morning.

Attached is the screenshot of the error message.

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 1:58pm On Sep 18, 2014
Deedamzy: good day vo, there is a cousin of mine that has been offered an admission in a reputable university in the state but there is a concern in his education documents. his surname on the university certificate and NYSC certificate was wrongly spelt, instead of akanmbi it was written has akambi ( alphabet N is missing in the other) but on all other documents like international passport, birth certificate, primary and secondary school certificate it was rightly spelt as akanmbi. complains has been made to university authority but they say it will take a whole session before the mistake can be amended but there is no certainty it will.

the paramount concern is, hope the little mistake on the surname will not be an hindrance on the day of interview and should he pen it down on DS 160 during the completion of the application form

waiting to read from u asap
As mentioned many times previously, we rarely rely heavily on documents presented during a visa interview. If the officer asks for those particular documents, your cousin should be prepared to explain the discrepancy. The officer should be understanding if the applicant can credibly explain the situation.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by clefstone(m): 2:01pm On Sep 18, 2014
hi abujaniv, I applied to attend a conference and my interview is next week. I want to know if i will need to take my birth certificate with me. I actually lost my birth cert and currently use sworn affidavit or the photocopy of the lost cert. i'll appreciate if u respond promptly.
p.s. a list of other documents i will need to take with me will also be appreciated
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:01pm On Sep 18, 2014
Emblem: Hello,

I made a mistake on my DS-160 form in which i later filled another one. For the past 3 days, I have been trying to update my profile with the new DS-160 code i just filled but it kept giving me error "Error occurred while loading a visualforce page". Please what can i do as my interview is tomorrow morning.

Attached is the screenshot of the error message.

You will need to speak with a representative from CGI, our contractor that handles the scheduling and profile platform. Contact them as follows:

Visa application services call center agents are able to assist you via telephone, chat or email.

Telephone: To speak with a call center representative, please call +23414406295.

Email: To reach a customer service representative via email, please write to us at:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by moore1: 10:37pm On Sep 18, 2014
Hi Abujaniv,

I was issued a B1 visa that expired 2009, unfortunately I did not use it cause it was for offshore work. Now I intend visiting with my family for vacation, is there any penalty for not using issued visa?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by bolajifive: 7:28am On Sep 19, 2014
Hi,

I need advise on what to expect, i have a visa appointment at the USA consulate next week.

I applied for a B1/B2 visa because i am going on holidays to visit my cousin in December.

I currently have a valid british visa due to expire next year.

I work for a top insurance firm in Nigeria, I think i have all the necessary documents that might be asked.
Invitation letter, photo page of invitees US passport, introduction letter from work, payslip, bank statement etc.

Any other thing i should know or do?

Please advise.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 12:16pm On Sep 19, 2014
moore1: Hi Abujaniv,

I was issued a B1 visa that expired 2009, unfortunately I did not use it cause it was for offshore work. Now I intend visiting with my family for vacation, is there any penalty for not using issued visa?

Nope! But be prepared to explain why you didn't travel on the visa if you are asked.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 12:17pm On Sep 19, 2014
bolajifive: Hi,

I need advise on what to expect, i have a visa appointment at the USA consulate next week.

I applied for a B1/B2 visa because i am going on holidays to visit my cousin in December.

I currently have a valid british visa due to expire next year.

I work for a top insurance firm in Nigeria, I think i have all the necessary documents that might be asked.
Invitation letter, photo page of invitees US passport, introduction letter from work, payslip, bank statement etc.

Any other thing i should know or do?

Please advise.

Aside from the fact that you'll be interviewed by a Consular Officer, I cannot tell you what to expect. Just show up on time, and speak truthfully!
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 12:18pm On Sep 19, 2014
clefstone: hi abujaniv, I applied to attend a conference and my interview is next week. I want to know if i will need to take my birth certificate with me. I actually lost my birth cert and currently use sworn affidavit or the photocopy of the lost cert. i'll appreciate if u respond promptly.
p.s. a list of other documents i will need to take with me will also be appreciated

It is highly unlikely that a Consular Officer will ask you for your birth certificate. We rarely look at documents, and instead rely on the application form and the interview in determining visa eligibility.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by princemoyemi(m): 12:38pm On Sep 19, 2014
good day all,
I applied for a b1b2 visa to attend a conference in the US and to be sponse by my employer.
Monday 22nd of dis month is my interview but my question is, my employer address my documents to Lagos Embassy and i will be goin to Abuja for my interview, hope it wont be an issue?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 12:40pm On Sep 19, 2014
princemoyemi: good day all,
I applied for a b1b2 visa to attend a conference in the US and to be sponse by my employer.
Monday 22nd of dis month is my interview but my question is, my employer address my documents to Lagos Embassy and i will be goin to Abuja for my interview, hope it wont be an issue?

It will not be a problem. The Consular Officer will likely not even ask for any documents during the interview.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by princemoyemi(m): 1:07pm On Sep 19, 2014
thanks for prompt answer
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by maddock(m): 10:58am On Sep 20, 2014
abujaniv:

Applicants are welcome to reapply 90 days or more after their last interview, but we encourage applicants to research the section of the law under which they were refused (most commonly 214(b)), and assess whether or not anything has significantly changed in their situation that would make them more qualified to receive a visa. As to your specific chances, we cannot and will not speculate as to anyone's chances to be issued a visa.

Good day to you, I recently apply for a visa for a group study visit but 16 of us were denied and only 2 granted a visa. The executive leadership program was slated for september and november. So we were advised by the facilitators to re-apply for the november edition since we weren't successful to join the september edition. But looking at your response above as par 90days stuff, is it advisable to re-apply again for the november edition or wait out out the 90days. Talking about the section 214(b) which you advised that we should research is as indicated below and didn't really or couldn't understand why I was refused. Is the 90days a standard that MUST be adhere to or just an advise? My job is still the same with an excellent end of month take home, am still married for more than 8years with 2 kids, CAN NEVER stay an extra day more than the 5 intending days for the training etc etc. So Wats your assessment. One part of me is saying I forget the visa stuff for now but the facilitators are pushing for us to re-apply.

What does a visa denial under INA section 214(b) mean?

This law applies only to nonimmigrant visa categories. If you are refused a visa under section 214(b), it means that you:

Did not sufficiently demonstrate to the consular officer that you qualify for the nonimmigrant visa category you applied for; and/or
Did not overcome the presumption of immigrant intent, required by law, by sufficiently demonstrating that you have strong ties to your home country that will compel you to leave the United States at the end of your temporary stay. (H-1B and L visa applicants, along with their spouse and any minor children, are excluded from this requirement.) 
What are considered strong ties to my home country?

Ties are the various aspects of your life that bind you to your home country. Strong ties vary from country to country, city to city, and person to person, but examples include:

Your job;
Your home; and/or
Your relationships with family and friends.
While conducting visa interviews, consular officers look at each application individually and consider the applicant's circumstances, travel plans, financial resources, and ties outside of the United States that will ensure the applicant’s departure after a temporary visit.

Is a refusal under section 214(b) permanent?

No. A refusal, or ineligibility, under section 214(b) is for that specific application, so once a case is closed, the consular section cannot take any further action. There is no appeal process. If you feel there is additional information that should be considered related to the visa decision, or there are significant changes in your circumstances since your last application, you may reapply for a visa. To reapply, you must complete a new application form, pay the application fee, and schedule an appointment for a new interview. Review the website of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to reapply to learn about any reapplication procedures.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by tribeD: 1:45pm On Sep 20, 2014
Thank you all for your comments and advice. I have really gained a lot from this forum. I and my family went for our Visa interview and got it. Below is our conversation

US: good morning
VO: Good morning
VO: Are u a family
US: yes
VO: Do you have any children apart from this child
US: No
US: no
VO: Where are you travelling to?
US: travelling to Bleep for our family vacation
VO: what do you do
Me: I work as a XXXX with Bleep (VO stares at me and then her computer, maybe to verify my claims)
VO: How much are you paid in your place of work
US: Bleep (pls memorise your amount cos she was looking at her screen as i spoke)
VO: to my wife- Do you work as well
Wife: yes I do
VO: What do you do
Wife: I work as xxxx at xxxx
VO: Have you travelled outside Nigeria before
US: yes
VO: where
US: we have been to XXXX before
VO: Are you pregnant
Wife: No
VO: Okay pick u your visas next Wednesday
We: thank you

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 3:32pm On Sep 20, 2014
Hi Visa Officer, thanks for your time spent in educating us on this forum. My questions are as follows:

Firstly, my uncle's wife currently has a B1/B2 visa that just expired. She was single when she got the visa two years ago and though she has not being able to facilitate the change from her maiden name on her international passport (because she has been unable to go to Abuja where it is done), she would like her marital surname to appear on her new visa (if given by God's grace). Using her current international passport (with maiden name) and marriage certificate as evidence of marriage she wants to know if she is eligible for the drop off renewal service.

Secondly, is a female with an expired valid B1/B2 visa issued while still single (and using maiden name) but just recently married and with international passport now bearing marital name and new marital status (married) eligible for the drop off renewal service?

Thanks in advance for your anticipated advice.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by princemoyemi(m): 5:14pm On Sep 20, 2014
Hi nairalander, pls must one be married b4 he can Ƅƺ granted b1B2 visa? Answer ASAP
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by clefstone(m): 3:53pm On Sep 21, 2014
abujaniv:

It is highly unlikely that a Consular Officer will ask you for your birth certificate. We rarely look at documents, and instead rely on the application form and the interview in determining visa eligibility.
Gracias. By application form do u mean the DS 160 form?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abubu79: 10:10am On Sep 22, 2014
Gudday abujaNiv,my wife n jus got a german visa n we intend to also apply for a US visa for holiday 2geda,does d german vis enhance our chance of gainin a US visa,we have 2kids and my friend advice me to apply for my kids as well,bt my budget for now can't accomodate all d memebers of d family.and I v neva been on holiday wit my wife,so we decide to apply first,den wen we are bk den kids can apply as well,
Pls,wats ur advice on dis
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by toydee(m): 1:42pm On Sep 22, 2014
Hello! My b1/b2 visa expired January. Pls what's the process of renewal?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 3:59pm On Sep 22, 2014
Geo007: Hi Visa Officer, thanks for your time spent in educating us on this forum. My questions are as follows:

Firstly, my uncle's wife currently has a B1/B2 visa that just expired. She was single when she got the visa two years ago and though she has not being able to facilitate the change from her maiden name on her international passport (because she has been unable to go to Abuja where it is done), she would like her marital surname to appear on her new visa (if given by God's grace). Using her current international passport (with maiden name) and marriage certificate as evidence of marriage she wants to know if she is eligible for the drop off renewal service.

Secondly, is a female with an expired valid B1/B2 visa issued while still single (and using maiden name) but just recently married and with international passport now bearing marital name and new marital status (married) eligible for the drop off renewal service?

Thanks in advance for your anticipated advice.

Good Afternoon,

We can only issue visas in the name that is written in the international passport. Your aunt is going to have to continue to apply in her maiden name for a visa until she changes her name in the passport.

Another woman who has a prior visa in her maiden name can now apply in her married name; however, she should be sure to list her maiden name in the "other names" section of the visa application.

Now, regarding if either woman is eligible for drop box - the following website explains who is eligible for the drop box program: http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/niv_dropbox.html
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 4:05pm On Sep 22, 2014
princemoyemi: Hi nairalander, pls must one be married b4 he can Ƅƺ granted b1B2 visa? Answer ASAP

There is no requirement that an individual be married to get a B1/B2 visa to travel to the United States.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 4:09pm On Sep 22, 2014
abubu79: Gudday abujaNiv,my wife n jus got a german visa n we intend to also apply for a US visa for holiday 2geda,does d german vis enhance our chance of gainin a US visa,we have 2kids and my friend advice me to apply for my kids as well,bt my budget for now can't accomodate all d memebers of d family.and I v neva been on holiday wit my wife,so we decide to apply first,den wen we are bk den kids can apply as well,
Pls,wats ur advice on dis

Good Afternoon,

First, we advise that you only plan travel that you can afford - if you cannot afford to travel with your children at this time then you should not apply for visas to bring them to the United States. Second, we look at your ties to Nigeria and evidence of travel to other locations is one thing that is considered during a visa interview, but it is not the only factor.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by maddock(m): 4:53pm On Sep 22, 2014
Hi Abujaniv,
Thank you for your assistance here,but please I asked a question that I would really appreciate your opinion. I asked some days back s regarding your earlier post as indicated below :

(abujaniv:
Applicants are welcome to reapply 90 days or more after their last interview, but we encourage applicants to research the section of the law under which they were refused (most commonly 214(b)), and assess whether or not anything has significantly changed in their situation that would make them more qualified to receive a visa. As to your specific chances, we cannot and will not speculate as to anyone's chances to be issued a visa).
[i][/i]

My question is still same as indicated before- I recently appled for a visa for a group study visit but 16 of us were denied and only 2 granted a visa. The executive leadership program was slated for september and november. So we were advised by the facilitators to re-apply for the november edition since we weren't successful to join the september edition. But looking at your response above as par 90days stuff, is it advisable to re-apply again for the november edition or wait out out the 90days. Talking about the section 214(b) which you advised that we should research is as indicated below and didn't really or couldn't understand why I was refused. Is the 90days a standard that MUST be adhere to or just an advise? My job is still the same with an excellent end of month take home, am still married for more than 8years with 2 kids, CAN NEVER stay an extra day more than the 5 intending days for the training etc etc.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by toydee(m): 5:03pm On Sep 22, 2014
Hello! My b1/b2 visa expired January this year.i want to go for renewal, Pls how do I go about it?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by toydee(m): 5:15pm On Sep 22, 2014
Good day VO! Can you please explain this part of the requirement further for me- The applicant has never been arrested nor had an encounter with law enforcement, customs, or immigration officials in the United States.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 9:34pm On Sep 22, 2014
Hello AbujaNiv, I need your advice, I applied for a US student visa( for my masters degree) 3 times last year and was denied, i was working for the government and also married and have also been to the UK and some african countries as part of my travelling experience.I was denied based on section 214b, that I don't have strong ties to my home country despite the fact that my father was my
Sponsor.
But my situation have changed now because i decided to purse my masters degree in Nigeria and have completed the program and also my father have handed over the family company to me to be the Managing Director ever since I finished my M.Sc, but I will want to apply for a visa to enable me attend a conference in the US but the problem is that I have lost my old passport but I have gotten a new passport. I hope this will not affect my application and also with the change in my case will it give me a high chance of getting the visa....thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by princemoyemi(m): 10:25pm On Sep 22, 2014
Hi,
I went to d embassy today but I was not given d visa aπϑ dis Ȋ̝̊̅§ how it went
VO guud mornin
M̶̲̥̅ε̲̣̣̣̥ mornin ma
VO why. Do U̶̲̥̅̊ want to go to d state?
M̶̲̥̅ε̲̣̣̣̥ for bla bla bla
VO how much Ȋ̝̊̅§ my pay
How long do U̶̲̥̅̊ expect to stay

That's all aπϑ she said we are sorry you are not eligible. But I. Noticed was, dis VO's get tired afta sometym cos for dose of us dat our appointment was 10, we were most refused aπϑ people frm -8 were well given.
My question now Ȋ̝̊̅§ wen can I reapply?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by aaa33: 10:50pm On Sep 22, 2014
Hello VisaOfficer i need an advice/views about what am about to post here. I applied for American student visa in 2002. Before then I had attend and written a SAT exams in Lagos. Its a company that we paid to then to write the exams . On the day of my interview in Abuja. I was asked every document which I presented until the lady asked me if I wrote SAT I said yes. She demanded for it and I presented it to her. After a close look at it she flared up that its fake and showed a colleague of hers and he confirmed its fake. She said she ain't gonna allow me enter her country and stamped my passport after inputting some stuff to her computer. Its been years since that happened. I already finished my bsc here in Nigeria and my Msc is in view presently. I have a paid employment and am relatively doing well. The issue now is was I banned? If I go to apply for a visa again will the last incidence crop up? I lost the last passport to fire and intend to go do anothe. Pls what's your candid take on this. Kind regards.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (229)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Travelling To Canada Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.