Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,757 members, 7,813,509 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:12 PM

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening - Travel (123) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening (818868 Views)

A Comprehensive List Of The Documents Required For Visas / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America / Illegal Immigrant Disguised As A Car Seat Caught (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) ... (229) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by rojigudret: 2:26pm On Aug 01, 2016
abujaniv:

Her visa can be revoked as well as the visas of the children. This is abuse of a B1/B2 visa.

Hello Abujaniv,

From what I read in a US governement documents, nonimmigrants who are attending school incidental to their primary purpose for being in the United States may attend the school of their choice either part-time or full-time (unless otherwise noted).

An example was made as below: In some cases, a B-2 child is allowed to study if accompanying a parent and the study is incidental to the reason for the parent traveling to the United States. For example, missionaries may enter as a B-2 and the children may attend K-12 school while the parent is pursuing the primary purpose of the visit. The length of stay will not be extended to allow a minor child to complete a school year

Please see link to referenced document below:
https://www.ice.gov/doclib/sevis/pdf/Nonimmigrant%20Class%20Who%20Can%20Study.pdf

Particular reference is to the reference marked X2.

It looks to me that the case of a child attending school while accompanying a parent on who is in the US for the purpose of child birth falls within the exemption stated in the above referenced document.

Also see below another official document on this same item: http://www.sde.ct.gov/sde/lib/sde/pdf/digest/enrollment_of_students_from_other_countries.pdf

Please review. Your kind opinion will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by OTUNBACODED: 2:54pm On Aug 01, 2016
Dear vo,

if the wife of a student who is with him in the us on an f-2 status, wishes to advance her study by going back to school, what does she need to do or do she need to come back to Nigeria to apply for a student visa?

thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 3:27pm On Aug 01, 2016
OTUNBACODED:
Dear vo,

if the wife of a student who is with him in the us on an f-2 status, wishes to advance her study by going back to school, what does she need to do or do she need to come back to Nigeria to apply for a student visa?

thanks

You cannot enroll in a degree-seeking program on an F-2 visa. You can either return to Nigeria and apply for an F-1 visa or contact USCIS to adjust to an F-1 visa while already in the US under F-2 status.

9 FAM 402.5-5(M)(4) Classification of Spouse or Child Who Will Attend School in the United States

a. A spouse qualified for an F-2, M-2, or any other derivative nonimmigrant classification may only study if those studies are incidental to the primary purpose of travel: to accompany his or her spouse to the United States. A spouse in F-2 status, therefore, may only participate in avocational or recreational programs. A spouse of an F-1 visa holder may only enroll in a full-time course of study if he or she qualifies under INA 101(a)(15)(F)(i) as a nonimmigrant student.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 3:48pm On Aug 01, 2016
rojigudret:

Hello Abujaniv,

From what I read in a US governement documents, nonimmigrants who are attending school incidental to their primary purpose for being in the United States may attend the school of their choice either part-time or full-time (unless otherwise noted).

An example was made as below: In some cases, a B-2 child is allowed to study if accompanying a parent and the study is incidental to the reason for the parent traveling to the United States. For example, missionaries may enter as a B-2 and the children may attend K-12 school while the parent is pursuing the primary purpose of the visit. The length of stay will not be extended to allow a minor child to complete a school year

Please see link to referenced document below:
https://www.ice.gov/doclib/sevis/pdf/Nonimmigrant%20Class%20Who%20Can%20Study.pdf

Particular reference is to the reference marked X2.

It looks to me that the case of a child attending school while accompanying a parent on who is in the US for the purpose of child birth falls within the exemption stated in the above referenced document.

Also see below another official document on this same item: http://www.sde.ct.gov/sde/lib/sde/pdf/digest/enrollment_of_students_from_other_countries.pdf

Please review. Your kind opinion will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You entirely misunderstand the documents you are quoting.

Incidental studies are non-degree programs that are recreational and avocational in nature - such as taking a one-week culinary course while traveling through New Orleans. Programs like these do not offer I-20s.

Your children's purpose of travel in this case would be to enroll in schools (they are not seeking medical care), and any primary or secondary school would require an F-1 visa. There is no legal way to enroll your children in public primary schools on a B1/B2 or even F-1 visa. In some situations, students can be issued F-1 visas for one-year of public secondary school, but only with the subsidized reimbursement to the school district. For private schools, an F-1 visa and I-20 are required for all ages.

Read the following:

9 FAM 402.5-5(J)(2) Elementary School Students

a. Only children qualified for a derivative nonimmigrant classification through a principal alien parent may attend a publicly funded elementary school. No public elementary schools or school systems are approved by SEVP to issue Form I-20 for attendance in F-1 status by children in kindergarten through grade eight. However, any student of school age (kindergarten-grade 12) who is otherwise qualified may receive an F-1 visa under INA 101(a)(15)(F)(i) to attend a private elementary school.

9 FAM 402.5-5(K)(2) Secondary School

a. INA 214(m) restricts, but does not prohibit, the issuance of F-1 visas to students seeking to attend public high schools. Secondary school is deemed to be grades 9-12. As of November 30, 1996, two new additional criteria were imposed on intending F-1 students at public high schools:

(1) They cannot attend such school for more than 12 months; and

(2) They must repay the school system for the full, unsubsidized, per capita cost of providing the education to him or her.

b. You may not issue an F-1 visa for attendance at a public high school if the length of study indicated on the Form I-20 exceeds the 12-month cumulative period permitted under INA 214(m). F-1 visas issued to attend public secondary schools must be limited to 12 months.

c. It is important to remember that public secondary school attendance in a status other than F-1 (including unlawful status) does not count against the 12-month limit, nor does attendance in F-1 status prior to November 30, 1996.

Children on B1/B2 visas are not allowed or entitled to enroll in private or public school. Period.

You are not going to the U.S. to be a missionary. You are going for medical care. Enrolling in schools on a B1/B2 visa is not appropriate.

If you enroll your children in schools while on a B1/B2 visa, your visa can/will be revoked, as will the visas of your children.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by TheCongo2: 4:53pm On Aug 01, 2016
abujaniv:

You entirely misunderstand the documents you are quoting.

Incidental studies are non-degree programs that are recreational and avocational in nature - such as taking a one-week culinary course while traveling through New Orleans. Programs like these do not offer I-20s.

Your children's purpose of travel in this case would be to enroll in schools (they are not seeking medical care), and any primary or secondary school would require an F-1 visa. There is no legal way to enroll your children in public primary schools on a B1/B2 or even F-1 visa. In some situations, students can be issued F-1 visas for one-year of public secondary school, but only with the subsidized reimbursement to the school district. For private schools, an F-1 visa and I-20 are required for all ages.

Read the following:

9 FAM 402.5-5(J)(2) Elementary School Students

a. Only children qualified for a derivative nonimmigrant classification through a principal alien parent may attend a publicly funded elementary school. No public elementary schools or school systems are approved by SEVP to issue Form I-20 for attendance in F-1 status by children in kindergarten through grade eight. However, any student of school age (kindergarten-grade 12) who is otherwise qualified may receive an F-1 visa under INA 101(a)(15)(F)(i) to attend a private elementary school.

9 FAM 402.5-5(K)(2) Secondary School

a. INA 214(m) restricts, but does not prohibit, the issuance of F-1 visas to students seeking to attend public high schools. Secondary school is deemed to be grades 9-12. As of November 30, 1996, two new additional criteria were imposed on intending F-1 students at public high schools:

(1) They cannot attend such school for more than 12 months; and

(2) They must repay the school system for the full, unsubsidized, per capita cost of providing the education to him or her.

b. You may not issue an F-1 visa for attendance at a public high school if the length of study indicated on the Form I-20 exceeds the 12-month cumulative period permitted under INA 214(m). F-1 visas issued to attend public secondary schools must be limited to 12 months.

c. It is important to remember that public secondary school attendance in a status other than F-1 (including unlawful status) does not count against the 12-month limit, nor does attendance in F-1 status prior to November 30, 1996.

Children on B1/B2 visas are not allowed or entitled to enroll in private or public school. Period.

You are not going to the U.S. to be a missionary. You are going for medical care. Enrolling in schools on a B1/B2 visa is not appropriate.

If you enroll your children in schools while on a B1/B2 visa, your visa can/will be revoked, as will the visas of your children.

Thanks VO for those useful information.
It is good to see officials educating the public on immigration issues given that many mistakes are made for the lack of adequate information or misinterpretation of the law.
I have seen a number of people attending school on B1/B2 because of the word on the street not knowing that it is illegal.
Keep up with the good work
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by olajay5: 5:46pm On Aug 01, 2016
Dear VO,

I planned to apply for a US B1/B2 visa for my family's holiday. I have the son of my elder brother aged 13 years and in a secondary school staying with me and I want to include him in the application. What document will I need to show that I am his guardian and that I am responsible for his schooling and upkeep? Please note that his mum is late.

Thank you for your anticipated response.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by cuteyem(m): 1:13am On Aug 02, 2016
Hi VO,

I intend to apply for a US tourist visa for myself, wife and child (we plan to visit next year). I work for a very reputable multi-national organisation with a great visa success rate but my wife is currently not working. I have two questions:
1.) What are our chances of getting visas seeing my wife is not working and what documents do I come with to better prove my case (strong ties to home country)

2.) Our child has not been born but we plan to travel with when she is born . Before I submitted my online application, I included my wife as accompanying party but not our child as she is still in the womb. Will this be an issue at the interview?

NB we are a young couple still in out 20s
Thanks

abujaniv:
Hello, Nairaland! Our last thread was lost due to the Nairaland data loss, so we're re-starting the Non-Immigrant Visa discussion.

We are U.S. Foreign Service Officers working in Abuja and Lagos. We'll be happy to answer as many of your Non-Immigrant Visa questions as possible. Please note that we do not comment on specific cases, we do not offer advice, and we will not answer abusive or insulting posts.

While we will attempt to explain U.S. immigration policies and provide overall visa application guidance, any opinions expressed are the personal views of the writer and do not necessarily reflect the views of the United States Government.

There is a separate Immigrant and Diversity Visa thread at https://www.nairaland.com/1792591/u.s-immigration-questions-ask-u.s., also handled by a U.S. Foreign Service Officers in Nigeria, so please use this thread only for questions about Non-Immigrant Visas.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Our best,
AbujaNIV
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by akfaa: 2:44am On Aug 02, 2016
Hello
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Bekeee(f): 7:00am On Aug 02, 2016
Hello Sir, please I would appreciate your kind advice. I was recently denied the b1b2 category visa purpose was to attend a conference. applied as single although getting married this month, no travel history and also stated I had a relative in the US. I intend to reapply but I need to be guided properly, how soon can I reapply in this case. thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 12:53pm On Aug 02, 2016
olajay5:
Dear VO,

I planned to apply for a US B1/B2 visa for my family's holiday. I have the son of my late elder brother aged 13 years and in a secondary school staying with me and I want to include him in the application. What document will I need to show that I am his guardian and that I am responsible for his schooling and upkeep? Please note that his mum has divorced my late brother and abandoned the child even before the demise of my brother.

Thank you for your anticipated response.

All legal documents supporting this claimed relationship.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 12:54pm On Aug 02, 2016
cuteyem:

Hi VO,

I intend to apply for a US tourist visa for myself, wife and child (we plan to visit next year). I work for a very reputable multi-national organisation with a great visa success rate but my wife is currently not working. I have two questions:
1.) What are our chances of getting visas seeing my wife is not working and what documents do I come with to better prove my case (strong ties to home country)

2.) Our child has not been born but we plan to travel with when she is born . Before I submitted my online application, I included my wife as accompanying party but not our child as she is still in the womb. Will this be an issue at the interview?

NB we are a young couple still in out 20s
Thanks

1) We don't give "chances" and we don't look at documents
2) Mention it at the interview, it isn't necessary on the application
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 12:56pm On Aug 02, 2016
akfaa:
Hello AbujaNIV, I applied for a US visit visa last year and was asked if i was pregnant, i said no even though i was, and was denied. i intend to apply this month with my husband and son, do i answer yes to the question "Have you ever sought to obtain or assist others to obtain a visa, entry into the United States, or any other United States immigration benefit by fraud or willful misrepresentation or other unlawful means?" which is on my DS160?

That's not what that question means, you can say no. But you have permanently damaged your credibility as an applicant given your deliberate deception at your last interview. It will be abundantly clear to the interviewing officer that you were pregnant, knew it, and concealed it.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 12:56pm On Aug 02, 2016
Bekeee:
Hello Sir, please I would appreciate your kind advice. I was recently denied the b1b2 category visa purpose was to attend a conference. applied as single although getting married this month, no travel history and also stated I had a relative in the US. I intend to reapply but I need to be guided properly, how soon can I reapply in this case. thanks

Unless you were told otherwise you can apply whenever you wish; however, we'd advise you to seriously consider how significant the change in your ties are that would make you more qualified now than your most recent interview.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Ivoryqueen: 1:47pm On Aug 02, 2016
Hello.. pls I am trying to renew bi/b2 visa using drop box. I am not sure if I did ten printing during my last interview so I am not certain what to fill on my ds160 form. What do i do?
2.when I tried to fill the drop box questions @ www.ustravedocs.com. I was told that my personal details matches a profile which already exists. They gave me an email address which I think belongs to a logistics personnel in my company in charge of my visa and travel arrangements at that time. I have sent them a mail to that effect. What else can I do to resolve this so I can get my confirmation letter asap.. thanks

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by olajay5: 3:28pm On Aug 02, 2016
abujaniv:

All legal documents supporting this claimed relationship.

Dear VO

Thank you for your response. However, I don't have any legal document other than his birth certificate and my brother's death certificate. Will these two suffice or would I have to go to a court to swear an affidavit? Please kindly advice on what is acceptable for your purpose.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 4:27pm On Aug 02, 2016
Ivoryqueen:
Hello.. pls I am trying to renew bi/b2 visa using drop box. I am not sure if I did ten printing during my last interview so I am not certain what to fill on my ds160 form. What do i do?
2.when I tried to fill the drop box questions @ www.ustravedocs.com. I was told that my personal details matches a profile which already exists. They gave me an email address which I think belongs to a logistics personnel in my company in charge of my visa and travel arrangements at that time. I have sent them a mail to that effect. What else can I do to resolve this so I can get my confirmation letter asap.. thanks

If you were over the age of 14 at your last interview, you were 10 printed. You can contact the call center with any technical issues.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 4:28pm On Aug 02, 2016
olajay5:

Dear VO

Thank you for your response. However, I don't have any legal document other than his birth certificate and my brother's death certificate. Will these two suffice or would I have to go to a court to swear an affidavit? Please kindly advice on what is acceptable for your purpose.

A custody order from a family court is usually in order. An affidavit does not prove anything.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by trav(m): 5:35pm On Aug 02, 2016
Hello Abujaniv.

Thank you for the good work your are doing. Please allow me to take advantage of this forum to clear an issue bothering my mind.

Myself, my wife and our 2 kids were issued B1/B2 visas in February 2013 with the plan of travelling for holidays. However just before we were to travel, we lost two very close family members and due to the emotional effect we had to suspend every holiday travel plan for that year
(We have always traveled overseas for summer but never been to the US as at then).

By December of the same year 2013, my wife discovered that she was pregnant and we decided to plan our trip towards her maternity leave and to use the visas for birth purpose/holiday in the US. I sent a mail to the US embassy notifying them of our change of travel plan and got a generic response.

We traveled in July 2014 to give birth and paid every hospital and medical bill. I know you do not deal with specifics but I will appreciate your response on whether we have or have not broken any rule since we were unable to use the visas for the initial purpose. Most especially now that I want to renew our visas via dropbox.

Thank you for your response
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Bekeee(f): 7:46pm On Aug 02, 2016
abujaniv:

Unless you were told otherwise you can apply whenever you wish; however, we'd advise you to seriously consider how significant the change in your ties are that would make you more qualified now than your most recent interview.
thanks for your response Sir. I believe it will be better I reapply right after my wedding but I am really confused about my travel history, we do not plan traveling out for our honeymoon perhaps that would have been an additional advantage on my own part,however, please advise if that would be necessary or I just stick with my present status of no travel history. also dear vo, will it be a bad idea changing my purpose of visit from conference to maybe invitation since I have a relative there am so confused please help.thanks Sir
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:40pm On Aug 03, 2016
trav:
Hello Abujaniv.

Thank you for the good work your are doing. Please allow me to take advantage of this forum to clear an issue bothering my mind.

Myself, my wife and our 2 kids were issued B1/B2 visas in February 2013 with the plan of travelling for holidays. However just before we were to travel, we lost two very close family members and due to the emotional effect we had to suspend every holiday travel plan for that year
(We have always traveled overseas for summer but never been to the US as at then).

By December of the same year 2013, my wife discovered that she was pregnant and we decided to plan our trip towards her maternity leave and to use the visas for birth purpose/holiday in the US. I sent a mail to the US embassy notifying them of our change of travel plan and got a generic response.

We traveled in July 2014 to give birth and paid every hospital and medical bill. I know you do not deal with specifics but I will appreciate your response on whether we have or have not broken any rule since we were unable to use the visas for the initial purpose. Most especially now that I want to renew our visas via dropbox.

Thank you for your response

Why are only looking into whether you broke rules after the fact?

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Absmorpheus: 10:45pm On Aug 03, 2016
Hello...i have a friend in US who introduced me to a lady(citizen), the lady now wants me to be her escort during her graduation ceremony.The church already sent me invitation and she is also planning to send her personal invitation too. Please what are my chance at the embassy cos we have not met physically.Thanks.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by newnewnew: 12:08am On Aug 04, 2016
Abujaniv
Here's my dilemma,
I paid for my Visa Application fee on the 18/05/2016. I tried scheduling an appointment today being 03/08/2016 but I got the response " No valid record can be found for the entered receipt number. Please validate that your receipt number is correct and that you have paid the correct amount for the visa which you are applying for. [63682119]".
I qualify for dropbox as I was previously issued a 2 year B1/B2 visa.
I would like to know what the problem is. My Receipt Number is 63682119.
I look forward to getting a response as soon as possible.
Thank you.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 12:49pm On Aug 04, 2016
Absmorpheus:
Hello...i have a friend in US who introduced me to a lady(citizen), the lady now wants me to be her escort during her graduation ceremony.The church already sent me invitation and she is also planning to send her personal invitation too. Please what are my chance at the embassy cos we have not met physically.Thanks.

We don't give chances. We are not in the business of gambling.

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 12:49pm On Aug 04, 2016
newnewnew:
Abujaniv
Here's my dilemma,
I paid for my Visa Application fee on the 18/05/2016. I tried scheduling an appointment today being 03/08/2016 but I got the response " No valid record can be found for the entered receipt number. Please validate that your receipt number is correct and that you have paid the correct amount for the visa which you are applying for. [63682119]".
I qualify for dropbox as I was previously issued a 2 year B1/B2 visa.
I would like to know what the problem is. My Receipt Number is 63682119.
I look forward to getting a response as soon as possible.
Thank you.

Contact the call center for technical issues but you should probably remove your receipt number from Nairaland.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by lamifree: 4:07pm On Aug 04, 2016
jonka:

I understand that for NIV renewal,applicant will be required to use the drop box services and will not need to appear for interview unless on special cases the consulate calls for interview of such person.Now,an applicant for renewal of NIV and wants to apply with the spouse(who has never had a NIV) as a group/couple application,will such a person still use the drop box or not?Can such a person use the drop box and appear for interview with the spouse(who is a fresh applicant/never had a NIV).I hope you understand better now.Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by lamifree: 5:12pm On Aug 04, 2016
[quote author=lamifree post=48185795][/quote] I went for nonimmigrant (B1/B2) Visa interview today i want to deliver my baby in US, i presented all necessary proof like hospital appointment/agreement, hotel reservation and other relevant documents but was denied, I don't really know where the problem lies the interview officer only gave me a pink colour paper, please explain the possible reasons to me thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by purplecircle: 8:57pm On Aug 04, 2016
Dear VO, what can i do if my email attached to my profile application has issues. And requesting for a reset means a link will be sent to it & i do not have access to it as a result of the issue.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by iamdoingthings: 9:54pm On Aug 04, 2016
Hello,

In 2013, I was issued a 2 year visa. At the time, I was supposed to attend a training program in the USA funded by my organization (a federal agency) but the the training was cancelled after the visa was issued. I had no travel plans at the time and the visa eventually expired in 2015 (I didn't visit the USA before the expiry).

Fast forward to 2016, I now plan on making a trip to the USA with my wife (we have two kids who won't be traveling with us). My questions are:

- Will the fact that I did not use the previous visa affect my planned application?
- Do we apply as a couple or separately (considering the fact that I may be eligible to use the drop box option)?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by seunade485: 12:28am On Aug 05, 2016
Thank you for this thread.
My husband was banned from getting a Visa for misrepresenting himself, but at the time that he was banned we were both supposed to travel together so we were at the embassy together. I will like to know if his ban could affect me when I apply to go to the U.S. Thank you.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by oobidike(f): 5:38am On Aug 05, 2016
dear VO, pls i wanna apply for a tourist visa from my new location - Australia, wanna go for my sisters wedding in the usa. tried logging into the application page and its still showing Nigeria and selection for interview section in Nigeriaa. how do i change it pls. Am in australia for studies. do i have to come back to nigeria to apply. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) ... (229)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Travelling To Canada Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.