Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,533 members, 7,837,038 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:02 PM

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening - Travel (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening (822477 Views)

A Comprehensive List Of The Documents Required For Visas / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America / Illegal Immigrant Disguised As A Car Seat Caught (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (229) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by mbeenox: 8:55am On Mar 21, 2015
Please I heard some got a visit visa of 2 years to USA, is that possible?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by anitabeauty(f): 10:31am On Mar 22, 2015
US
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by babs4all: 4:22pm On Mar 22, 2015
Hello VO.
I applied for a non immigrant visa for myself, wife and our 2yrs old child. I noticed i made a mistake on my DS160 form after an appointment has been scheduled. I have filled another form and called customer service for assistance. The new form DS160 confirmation alphanumeric code has been effected on my appointment. My question is: is it the former DS160 the VO would use to interview me or the new one. I dont want to give contradictory answers during interview?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by chrisjulie(m): 6:46am On Mar 23, 2015
Hi VO, I am writing to appeal and find out why my Nephew was twice denied visa to travel to donate a life Kidney to my Son who lost both Kidney two years ago and currently on Dialysis and his situation has worsen. He is coming to the United States to save an American Citizen life not coming for vacation for leisure but he can not get visa, but those going for leisure were granted visa. Please he has rescheduled for interview on March 23 for same purpose. What is wrong with volunteering to donate an organ to save someone life?. It is voluntary and he will be going back to Nigeria to continue his school in Nigeria.
Please help us find out why an organ donor cannot get a visa to travel to help an American live full life

Next interview date is Monday 30th, 2015

Appointment No. AA004UPCK6

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Gold45(f): 4:59pm On Mar 23, 2015
Good day to you VO, Just wanted to know if it is compulsory to bring originals of supporting documents especially the statement of accounts to the interview. Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by teeoba: 6:34pm On Mar 23, 2015
Dear VO,
How long does the Dropbox renewal for a B1/B2 visa take? My passport has been with the Abuja Office for nearly one month now. I havent heard from them or gotten a request for more information and DHL says it is still at the Embassy. What could be happening? Can I call the Embassy to inquire?
Thank you.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Tessybaby4(f): 8:08am On Mar 25, 2015
Dear NIV VO, My family and I have a 2 years multiple entry visas, we informed the visa officer of our purpose to visit the US for easter between 2nd - 12 April, 2015 but there is an annotation on our visas. Please, we now have some programmes that came up and it seem our travel date may likely be shifted to August, 2015. what implications does this have on our visas, can we still travel by August, 2015? Thank you
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:56pm On Mar 25, 2015
Greetings all,

A number of the questions regard the reasons for individual refusals, or are requests for us to tell you your "chances" for a visa issuance. Again, we cannot comment on the reasons for any individual refusal on this forum, nor will we discuss your "chances" for a visa with you.

There was a question about traveling to give birth to a child and traveling with other children family members. If children wish to travel, they need visas, just as any other person, an appointment will have to be booked and an interview conducted to determine eligibility. Also, if you intend to travel after the expiration of your current visa, of course, you would need to renew your visa.

There was a question about the validity of U.S. visas. Reciprocity arrangements between U.S. and Nigerian governments dictate that U.S. visa validity for Nigerian passport holders is 2 years. This does not mean that someone can go for a 2 year stay, the length of stay permitted is determined by U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agents when they permit someone to enter the country.

As for mistakes on your DS-160 form, please, ALWAYS give us the true information, and use the DS-160 that reflects the correct information. If your form is incorrect, please gently point on the mistake and why it was filled in error. Attempting to conceal the truth is never going to work in an applicant’s favor.

As for delays in receiving your passports through the Dropbox program, please reach out to either LagosNIV@state.gov or AbujaNIV@state.gov to inquire.

And for the specific question on annotations, please reach out to the specific Consular section (either Lagos or Abuja) where you were issued the visas at the email addresses noted above.

A number of people have asked questions regarding documentary evidence needed for visa issuance. A reminder that we do NOT require letters of invitation for B1/B2 visa applications, nor do we generally require any kind of paperwork at all. You're coming to the consular section for an in-person interview, not to drop off documents. If there's a document you need and you don't have it, we're always able to give you a chance to come back with it. But - especially for B1/B2 applications - it's very rare that we'll look at any documents at all, and we generally don't need any documents to make our decision.

Thanks again for your questions everyone. We look forward to continue commenting on as many issues as we can.

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by olady: 1:36pm On Mar 27, 2015
Good morning V.O

I applied for a B1/B2 renewal via drop box on March 13th and have not heard back from the consulate to pick up my passport even though this is the 2nd time I am renewing my US Visa. I then sent an email and got a response that my application is under administrative processing and I was asked to confirm my dropbox location.

After I confirmed the location, I got an email stating that "Your application is still being processed; sometimes some applications take longer than anticipated. You will be notified once it is ready for pick up. Please confirm if A0******3 is your current passport number with which you submitted your application."

It was after I got this email that I realized that I made a mistake. What had happened was that the A0******3 passport number is my new passport # ( I submitted 2 passports because my old one which had 2 months left of visa was expiring). The mistake I made was that I paid my visa fees and filled out the application with my old passport # but also submitted the new passport for which I wanted my visa to be issued on.

Question: What should I do in this case? Do you think I would be called for an interview to verify or how can I rectify the mistake I made.

Regards,
Ola.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 9:16pm On Mar 27, 2015
@V.O God will bless you abundantly for the help and explanations you've have been rendering to everyone of us here.

please I have few questions that I wish you can help me with. I want to travel to u.s to study computer science which I have passion for and is my dream, I graduated from a federal polytechnic here in Nigeria, got My N.D and just finished my HND (due to my transcript for HND is not ready yet I had to apply with My N.D).I took the TOEFL test and got 85, I later applied for an admission at a COLLEGE and got admission and they have sent my I-20 to my uncle who is my sponsor and lives (a citizen) in the US and he's about sending it to me and I've paid the student visa fee, just waiting to get hold of my I-20 so that I can schedule for an interview. BTW I'll be 27yrs by April 28 with a virgin passport. my questions are

1. is the virgin passport going to be a problem ?

2. is there going to be a problem with the year that I finished My N.D in building technology (2011, b/w 2012-2014 I was doing my HND) and wanting to study computer science now which I'd d/f from my previous course (2015) ?

3. is going to college going to affect me negatively?

4. Finally your advice will go a very very long way...
once again God bless you.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by shockreaction(m): 9:15am On Mar 31, 2015
@abujaniv
Guess this flew under the radar, so I'll have to ask again. I've got a 2-year US visa which expires in August (I also plan to visit the US in August), and I would like to know if I have to wait till it expires before I can use the dropbox renewal service, or if I can start the renewal process before the expiry date.

Thanks.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:10pm On Mar 31, 2015
Hello everyone, and thanks for your questions.

Regarding the Dropbox program, you do not need to wait until your visa has expired to renew it. For more on the Dropbox program, please visit this website: http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/niv_dropbox.html.

Regarding student visas -- During your interview, the Consular officer will ask you questions to assess a range of factors and determine whether you qualify for the visa. Not having traveled abroad previously does not necessarily disqualify you for a visa. It's a good idea to be prepared to discuss how your previous academic expereince has prepared you for the degree you want to pursue in the United States and how you will pay for that degree.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by lillybab: 12:28pm On Apr 01, 2015
abujaniv:
Hello everyone, and thanks for your questions.

Regarding the Dropbox program, you do not need to wait until your visa has expired to renew it. For more on the Dropbox program, please visit this website: http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/niv_dropbox.html.

Regarding student visas -- During your interview, the Consular officer will ask you questions to assess a range of factors and determine whether you qualify for the visa. Not having traveled abroad previously does not necessarily disqualify you for a visa. It's a good idea to be prepared to discuss how your previous academic expereince has prepared you for the degree you want to pursue in the United States and how you will pay for that degree.

Hello,
I need info pls, a friend of mine visited with an M1 visa for a course, and during her stay she had police issues which warranted her leaving the country without going to court on the day she was scheduled to, can she apply for another visa??
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by lutherajayi: 6:03pm On Apr 02, 2015
Hello VO,
In the year 2004, one of my distant relation who was based in the US attempted to help secure a US visa for me. He increased my age and filled the paper application form for me. He claimed I was working while I was a student. My age was increased by some years but can't remember again. I came to the embassy but I was denied and my fingerprint was taken. I am now working with a US multinational firm here on Nigeria and have been to Europe twice for Conference and vacation. I just received a fellowship sponsored by the US government but I am afraid to go to the embassy. The embassy sent me a mail to come for an orientation in respect of the fellowship and also attend a visa interview during the orientation. I know the truth will be revealed but I was 19 years old when the other incident happened and couldn't really resist the distant uncle's tactics back then. Pls advice me.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by dedius256: 6:16pm On Apr 04, 2015
Good day V.O lost my nigerian passport last year august in the uk had a valid 5 years uk visa and a valid 2 years u.s visa i came back to nigeria from uk using eergency travel certificate am about to apply for another nigerian passport please how do i go about applying for u.s visa again i need help on what to do thanks.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by olakunlex: 11:00pm On Apr 05, 2015
hello v.o.thanks for all your help.my wife and i have valid visas.b1/b2.she was pregnant at the time of interview but we were asked if we will get any medical attention in usa during the interview and we said no.now that she is in the states she will have the babay there.do i need to get back to the consular requesting for an uodate of records.thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by flodave: 9:39am On Apr 07, 2015
Another writer has asked about what he can do regarding having falsely claimed he has a relation in the U.S. Again, we cannot comment on individual cases, but we would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to please be honest in any interactions with the U.S. government. We take fraud and misrepresentation very seriously, and misrepresenting yourself to get a visa can have life-long consequences.
so my question is how does an applicant know if he's banned or not allowed to apply in the future for misrepresentation because other embassies will clearly state if that is the case. Instead of one to keep wasting time and resources.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 9:44am On Apr 08, 2015
pls need help here. my father friend in USA
want to send me invitation by June to come
over. but currently am during my NYSC and I
will be through by first week of October 2015.
so I want to advice him to send me the
invitation letter earlier by June but inviting me
by October do I can come immediately after
my youth service. but the real questions now
is(1) as a youth Corper member will my bank
statement containing my allowee details be
enough to present to the embassy when
applying (2) Do I need to present a leave letter
from my employee (NYSC) though which may
be hard to get since He is only inviting me
after my service? pls need clarification from
the expert. thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by cherie24(f): 12:19pm On Apr 08, 2015
Dear VO,
I applied for a visa last year and during thr interview, i was asked if i was preggy and i said no - i wanted to go for a training and vacation for 3 weeks. I got the visa and then i realised (family and friends) said i could give birth there, couple of weeks later, i wrote a mail to them declaring the preggy. 1 week after, i was called and the VO said she appreciates me coming forward but that it would have been best if i admitted when she asked. I was ashamed. so the visa was revoked and she wrote 221B on it ( if i remember correctly). I am now beyound scared. Please i would like to know if this is a ban. what are my chances of getting a visa if i request? when do you think i can do that? - is there a time line?.. Any further info will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Regards
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by cherie24(f): 5:05pm On Apr 08, 2015
flodave:
Another writer has asked about what he can do regarding having falsely claimed he has a relation in the U.S. Again, we cannot comment on individual cases, but we would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to please be honest in any interactions with the U.S. government. We take fraud and misrepresentation very seriously, and misrepresenting yourself to get a visa can have life-long consequences.
so my question is how does an applicant know if he's banned or not allowed to apply in the future for misrepresentation because other embassies will clearly state if that is the case. Instead of one to keep wasting time and resources.

Please dont be offended, are you a VO or just quoting what the VO said??..am kinda confused...tnks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by fashionabu: 12:33am On Apr 09, 2015
Hello everyone, my passport wl expire by 20/10/2015 and I want to confirm if I can apply for US visa or I should wait till I wl renew my passport ... Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by flodave: 5:12am On Apr 09, 2015
The question was meant for the VO
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 1:11pm On Apr 09, 2015
Good day VO, I have a daughter in the US who invited me for her graduation Whc comes up May,2015. Am scheduled for interview next week, what and what are the necessary requirements? Also, her dad isn't interested in travelling, I hope it doesn't matter. Thanks in anticipation
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by trendyindian: 2:57pm On Apr 09, 2015
Good Afternoon, 

Kindly help me with my little issue. I applied for the US visa in March but I was denied based on the fact that I wasn't traveling with my kids 
and husband and I haven't changed my maiden name to my husbands name. right now, I want to apply with my husband and two boys in June for Christmas holiday, please do I need to change my fathers name to my husbands name. and what are the chances that my visa will be approved this time. I noticed they gave apparently all those that came with their family members. another issue is that this is our first time of travelling outside the country. Kindly enlighten me more cos it will be very painful to spend such an amount and get the denial again.

God bless you
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by kay88: 11:44pm On Apr 09, 2015
Hi VO,
is the 90 day rule between application a firm rule? My husband got denied a B1/B2 a week ago(214(b)).... His reason for this application was to come for my graduation in may(I am a graduate student in the US on an F1 visa). We got married 4months ago and i returned to the US to continue my program.
I really want him to come for my graduation in May. We could have applied for an F2 but he is on a legal bond(with the Lagos state government for a year) at work that states he cannot leave work until after a year because he just got back from a study leave(last year December). He has worked this job for 5 years
1) i want him to apply again this month and mention this legal bond because i believe this is a strong tie to Nigeria and he did not mention this to the interviewer because he was not asked at the interview and he was not asked for any document
2) Do you think this is a strong tie ? I mean, legal documents are no jokes. I just really want him here for my graduation
3) correct me if i am wrong, but i believe if he had mentioned this it would have made a difference and i am still of the opinion that if he goes back to the embassy and hands over a paper listing his strong ties to Nigeria (including this Legal bond) he may just be given a chance.

FYI: he earns a very decent amount, his family resides in Nigeria, he's been working for 5 years, he has traveled and studied in the UK a couple of times...

please advice me generally.. thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by kay88: 11:49pm On Apr 09, 2015
@abujaniv
Hi VO,
is the 90 day rule between application a firm rule? My husband got denied a B1/B2 a week ago(214(b)).... His reason for this application was to come for my graduation in may(I am a graduate student in the US on an F1 visa). We got married 4months ago and i returned to the US to continue my program.
I really want him to come for my graduation in May. We could have applied for an F2 but he is on a legal bond(with the Lagos state government for a year) at work that states he cannot leave work until after a year because he just got back from a study leave(last year December). He has worked this job for 5 years
1) i want him to apply again this month and mention this legal bond because i believe this is a strong tie to Nigeria and he did not mention this to the interviewer because he was not asked at the interview and he was not asked for any document
2) Do you think this is a strong tie ? I mean, legal documents are no jokes. I just really want him here for my graduation
3) correct me if i am wrong, but i believe if he had mentioned this it would have made a difference and i am still of the opinion that if he goes back to the embassy and hands over a paper listing his strong ties to Nigeria (including this Legal bond) he may just be given a chance.

FYI: he earns a very decent amount, his family resides in Nigeria, he's been working for 5 years, he has traveled and studied in the UK a couple of times...

please advice me generally.. thanks[/quote]
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by chuksmoney: 2:14pm On Apr 10, 2015
I have an invitation to visit the USA for a wedding, I have not traveled before and I want to ask if a virgin passport can affect my getting a visa? I have strong ties here in Nigeria, I am married with 2 kids and I have a strong business trade.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 6:48am On Apr 11, 2015
Greetings,

Applicants must have at least six months validity on their passports at the time of application. Consider renewing your passport before your visa interview.

While the majority of our applicants are approved, we must unfortunately refuse others due to a lack of strong ties to Nigeria. “Ties" are the various aspects of your life that bind you to your country of residence: your possessions, employment, social and family relationships.

Applicants without prior international travel are not automatically refused visas. Prior travel is just one factor we consider when discerning whether or not an applicant is qualified for U.S. visa. When an applicant answers truthfully that they have no prior travel, this enables the interviewing officer to move on to another line of questioning that may or not result in visa issuance. Adding fake travel stamps and/or visas to your passport will only result in an automatic denial and in some circumstances, a lifetime ban on traveling to the United States called 6(C)(i).

About Letters of Invitation:
You may provide a letter of invitation or support. However, this cannot guarantee visa issuance to a foreign national friend, relative or student. Visa applicants must qualify for the visa according to their own circumstances, not on the basis of an American sponsor's assurance.

Subsequent Applications after a Refusal:
Applicants are refused for different reasons. If you are refused a visa be sure to read the denial letter that you received at the conclusion of your interview. This letter will tell you whether or not you are eligible to reapply. A 6(C)(i) refusal is a permanent ineligibility for fraud and misrepresentation. One should be very careful before engaging in any actions that could be misconstrued as being a misrepresentation or fraud.

When someone is denied for a lack of ties to Nigeria or under section 214(b), these applicants have the legal right to reapply. In these situations, the applicant must pay another fee, submit a new application, and schedule a new interview. The applicant ‘s subsequent interview would be with a different interviewing officer if possible.

Applicants with prior refusals should be prepared to show further evidence of their ties or how their circumstances have changed since the time of the original application. It may help to answer the following questions before reapplying: (1) Did I explain my situation accurately? (2) Did the consular officer overlook something? (3) Is there any additional information I can present to establish my residence and strong ties abroad?

So is there a 90-day ban on reapplying after a 214(b) refusal?
No. The consular officer will reconsider a case when an applicant reapplies, if an applicant can show further convincing evidence of ties outside the United States. Unfortunately, some applicants will not qualify for a nonimmigrant visa, regardless of how many times they reapply, until their personal, professional, and financial circumstances change considerably.

Please note that very few of these decisions are overturned within 90 days because it is very hard to build stronger ties to Nigeria in less than 3 months. It takes time to build stronger ties- months or even years. An applicant can influence an officer to change a prior visa denial only through the presentation of new and convincing evidence of strong ties.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by trendyindian: 3:15pm On Apr 11, 2015
Good Afternoon, 

Kindly help me with my little issue. I applied for the US visa in March but I was denied based on the fact that I wasn't traveling with my kids 
and husband and I haven't changed my maiden name to my husbands name. right now, I want to apply with my husband and two boys in June for Christmas holiday, please do I need to change my fathers name to my husbands name. and what are the chances that my visa will be approved this time. I noticed they gave apparently all those that came with their family members. another issue is that this is our first time of travelling outside the country. Kindly enlighten me more cos it will be very painful to spend such an amount and get the denial again.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by cherie24(f): 8:10pm On Apr 12, 2015
cherie24:
Dear VO,
I applied for a visa last year and during thr interview, i was asked if i was preggy and i said no - i wanted to go for a training and vacation for 3 weeks. I got the visa and then i realised (family and friends) said i could give birth there, couple of weeks later, i wrote a mail to them declaring the preggy. 1 week after, i was called and the VO said she appreciates me coming forward but that it would have been best if i admitted when she asked. I was ashamed. so the visa was revoked and she wrote 221B on it ( if i remember correctly). I am now beyound scared. Please i would like to know if this is a ban. what are my chances of getting a visa if i request? when do you think i can do that? - is there a time line?.. Any further info will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Regards
abujaniv:
Greetings,

Applicants must have at least six months validity on their passports at the time of application. Consider renewing your passport before your visa interview.

While the majority of our applicants are approved, we must unfortunately refuse others due to a lack of strong ties to Nigeria. “Ties" are the various aspects of your life that bind you to your country of residence: your possessions, employment, social and family relationships.

Applicants without prior international travel are not automatically refused visas. Prior travel is just one factor we consider when discerning whether or not an applicant is qualified for U.S. visa. When an applicant answers truthfully that they have no prior travel, this enables the interviewing officer to move on to another line of questioning that may or not result in visa issuance. Adding fake travel stamps and/or visas to your passport will only result in an automatic denial and in some circumstances, a lifetime ban on traveling to the United States called 6(C)(i).

About Letters of Invitation:
You may provide a letter of invitation or support. However, this cannot guarantee visa issuance to a foreign national friend, relative or student. Visa applicants must qualify for the visa according to their own circumstances, not on the basis of an American sponsor's assurance.

Subsequent Applications after a Refusal:
Applicants are refused for different reasons. If you are refused a visa be sure to read the denial letter that you received at the conclusion of your interview. This letter will tell you whether or not you are eligible to reapply. A 6(C)(i) refusal is a permanent ineligibility for fraud and misrepresentation. One should be very careful before engaging in any actions that could be misconstrued as being a misrepresentation or fraud.

When someone is denied for a lack of ties to Nigeria or under section 214(b), these applicants have the legal right to reapply. In these situations, the applicant must pay another fee, submit a new application, and schedule a new interview. The applicant ‘s subsequent interview would be with a different interviewing officer if possible.

Applicants with prior refusals should be prepared to show further evidence of their ties or how their circumstances have changed since the time of the original application. It may help to answer the following questions before reapplying: (1) Did I explain my situation accurately? (2) Did the consular officer overlook something? (3) Is there any additional information I can present to establish my residence and strong ties abroad?

So is there a 90-day ban on reapplying after a 214(b) refusal?
No. The consular officer will reconsider a case when an applicant reapplies, if an applicant can show further convincing evidence of ties outside the United States. Unfortunately, some applicants will not qualify for a nonimmigrant visa, regardless of how many times they reapply, until their personal, professional, and financial circumstances change considerably.

Please note that very few of these decisions are overturned within 90 days because it is very hard to build stronger ties to Nigeria in less than 3 months. It takes time to build stronger ties- months or even years. An applicant can influence an officer to change a prior visa denial only through the presentation of new and convincing evidence of strong ties.

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (229)

QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here / Travelling To Canada Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.